PDA

View Full Version : AP Article (Dave Kolpack) from ESPN

kchats
10-20-2006, 03:04 AM
Interesting article from Dave Kolpack posted on ESPN today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=2632522

With only 63 scholarships available to Minnesota's 85, NDSU is
at a clear physical disadvantage. The caliber of play in the Big
Ten is certainly much higher than the cobbled-together Great West
Conference, of which the Bison are members with Cal Poly, South
Dakota State, UC Davis and Southern Utah.

Some of the 10,000-plus NDSU fans expected to make the four-hour
drive from the Fargo area, looking at their team's 6-0 record and
the Gophers' recent struggles, are likely under the illusion that
the schools aren't that far apart.

As bad as Minnesota (2-5, 0-4) looked in last week's 48-12 loss
at Wisconsin, however, this is still a team with far more depth and
skill than any Division I-AA squad.

DEFENDER
10-20-2006, 03:21 AM

i officially hate this man...his negative attitude bothers the F out of me...

BisonBacker
10-20-2006, 03:55 AM

Cobbled together? Granted it was a division formed out of necessity for the member univeristies but look at the members. We are ranked the #1 conference in IAA and to make that comment is just dam stupid IMHO. I have now found McFooleys counterpart.

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-20-2006, 04:02 AM
Hmmm, let's see, I believe that the Gophers have the same conference record as both Indiana and Northwestern who I believe have both lost to 1-AA schools this year (not 100% sure on Indiana). Now, I'm not playing the comparative record/score index here, I'm simply pointing out that this year bottom-dwelling Big Ten schools are vulnerable.

Gamehunter
10-20-2006, 04:24 AM
actually, I beleive the BigTen has done the worst out of ANY I-A conference against I-AA competition. The BigTen has 2 losses....SIU beat Indiana and New Hampshire beat Northwestern. NDSU beat Ball State of the MAC. Portland State beat New Mexico of the Mountain West. Richmond beat Duke of ACC. and Montana State beat Colorado of the Big12.

There has been other very close misses by I-AA's, but clearly the basement of the BigTen has shown to be more than vulnerable this year.

SDbison
10-20-2006, 04:40 AM
Big Ten we're not worthy! May as well stay home and concede the loss.
DI-AA football so inferior to DI-A.
Time to show up these arrogant DI-A bowl babies. What a pompous article. This needs to be posted on the Bison player bus tomorrow!

NDSUstudent
10-20-2006, 05:35 AM
Ball State's Hoke knows the feeling. He said he repeatedly stressed to his players that NDSU would be a tough opponent, regardless of its classification. Whether it registered is hard to know.

"I know that team is a well-coached, tough, physical team," Hoke said. "They have some talented football players. If you don't get on them early ..."

He didn't need to finish the sentence.

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/754788.html

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-20-2006, 06:48 AM
I understand that 1-AA is a lower level of competition when taken as a whole, but New Hampshire decisively beat Northwestern, a Big Ten team albeit a bottom dwelling one. It is absolutely ridiculous for writers to continue suggesting that NDSU can't beat a Big Ten team in the midst of an awful season. They may win, they may lose, but NDSU certainly is capable of winning this game.

gopherguy
10-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I think the writer has SOME merit to what he says but presents it in a caustic manner.

I am not underestimating the Bison at all, and I think the possibility for an upset is very real.

Still some on this board confuse me with bold projections like "we will shut down Minnesota's run game". Minnesota put over 100 on Michigan, the #1 rush defense in the country with a minimum of 6 NFL draftees on it. I am not sure what the logic is behind such a strong statement.

Granted this IS just a board, and a space for people to say whatever they want for the most part. I came here looking for some fun football talk (I have a lot of respect for your program) and all I have read is predictions of shut down threads, how NDSU has a lot more team spirit and motivation, they execute better, and a variety of other comments that will lead to a big victory.

I am not saying anyone shouldnt have pride in their team, but just wondering if we can get a pragmatic non-flaming thread about game predictions. I am predicting 31-17 Minnesota.

99Bison
10-20-2006, 01:57 PM
I think the writer has SOME merit to what he says but presents it in a caustic manner.

I am not underestimating the Bison at all, and I think the possibility for an upset is very real.

Still some on this board confuse me with bold projections like "we will shut down Minnesota's run game". *Minnesota put over 100 on Michigan, the #1 rush defense in the country with a minimum of 6 NFL draftees on it. I am not sure what the logic is behind such a strong statement.

Granted this IS just a board, and a space for people to say whatever they want for the most part. I came here looking for some fun football talk (I have a lot of respect for your program) and all I have read is predictions of shut down threads, how NDSU has a lot more team spirit and motivation, they execute better, and a variety of other comments that will lead to a big victory. *

I am not saying anyone shouldnt have pride in their team, but just wondering if we can get a pragmatic non-flaming thread about game predictions. I am predicting 31-17 Minnesota.

Not sure what you exactly are looking for "for some fun football talk," but please forgive us, this week has been way over zealous more than usual :) :)

BisonSig
10-20-2006, 02:06 PM

Still some on this board confuse me with bold projections like "we will shut down Minnesota's run game". Minnesota put over 100 on Michigan, the #1 rush defense in the country with a minimum of 6 NFL draftees on it. I am not sure what the logic is behind such a strong statement.

Granted this IS just a board, and a space for people to say whatever they want for the most part. I came here looking for some fun football talk (I have a lot of respect for your program) and all I have read is predictions of shut down threads, how NDSU has a lot more team spirit and motivation, they execute better, and a variety of other comments that will lead to a big victory.

I agree that shutdown is probably not going to occur when talking about the Gopher running game, but what will occur? Guess we find out Saturday @ 2:30pm in metrodome.

The Bison have been very good against the run this year. The team leads 1AA in running yards allowed. We have never faced the current Gopher run attack, we have no idea what they truly bring to the table. We do know that some pretty good running 1AA teams were shut down.

Actually I am more concerned about the quick strike from the recieving corps than the Gophers running game. If the Gophers pound it at us all day with the run, it could be a long day, but if the recievers just fly by us it will be even longer.

As far as predictions go, NDSU 31, U of M 28. Last second points in the first half and at the end of the game pull the upset out for NDSU.

Paulie
10-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Who cares what people say before the game, in fact the more disrespect the better in my opinion, it's what they say after the game that I care about. 8-)

Scooter
10-20-2006, 02:30 PM
I guess that I don't have much of a problem with what Jeff wrote. *Although he could have broke the new to us Bison fans a little easier, (Big Ten has better tallent than the Great West) nothing he wrote was untrue. (Thanks, without your help, Jeff, I'd still be dillusional) ;)

I just don't think that Mr. Kolpack understands what is driving the attitude of the Bison fan base. *This attitude would be the excitement in scheduling schools that will challenge the team. *I am so damn happy that we don't have to play teams like Western Washington, Central Washington, and UMD and try to pass these teams off as being on the same level as the teams from the old NCC that they replaced. *How boring would this be... Playing an NSIC team (we all know how this played out...-10 yards offense through 3 quarters for CSP), then Central Washington, Western Washington, UMD, Augustana, Mankato, and St Cloud...now, you would be 7 games into your schedule and you have given up a total of what... 21 points overall?

Make no mistake, there's no one on this site that believes that NDSU is going to go into the metrodome and win this game by two TD's. *If anything, the suggestion has been the opposite, implying that NDSU will need some help from the Gophers to win this game. *And, even then, that win will be a close one. *NO DILLUSIONS HERE, MR. KOLPACK. * But, thanks for putting the obvious on paper.

broke_back_mnt
10-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Daves article is no worse that predicting a Bison win by 2 TDs or something. *He is being realistic. *So are PA and Dubay. *Are they right? *I dont know, but they arent foolish or lacking knowledge for giving their opinion. *Its far more likely The BISON lose by a couple of TDs than win by a couple. *Whos going to take offense at that? *

The Gophers are a good team. *Better than any DI-AA team, thats not news Dave, but everyone here should realize that too. *Even while losing to Wisonsin you could see how good they are. *True, they lost that game big, but in so doing exhibited a lot of talent and speed and ability to play the game.

I dont like to see the Gopher fans offended, but I agree 100%: *Its whats said after the game that matters, not before and to date I have seen very little smack or disrespect directed Minnesotas way. *All I have seen is unbridled exubriance from BISON fans. *Nothing wrong with that.

No_Skill
10-20-2006, 05:46 PM
A lot of good stuff in this thread.

The only thing that matters is the game tomorrow. I hate predicting scores, so I'll give the outcome a shot.

20% - Bison win
70% - Bison lose a close game
10% - Bison are blown out

I may even be a bit of a homer pridicting a 20% chance to win. One thing's for sure, I can't wait to see how we match up.

Here's to an exciting game. [smiley=beer.gif]

cabis
10-20-2006, 07:46 PM

Still some on this board confuse me with bold projections like "we will shut down Minnesota's run game". *Minnesota put over 100 on Michigan, the #1 rush defense in the country with a minimum of 6 NFL draftees on it. I am not sure what the logic is behind such a strong statement.

Granted this IS just a board, and a space for people to say whatever they want for the most part. I came here looking for some fun football talk (I have a lot of respect for your program) and all I have read is predictions of shut down threads, how NDSU has a lot more team spirit and motivation, they execute better, and a variety of other comments that will lead to a big victory. *

Earlier in the week I posted my prediction for a 34-20 Bison win and gave my reasons for why I thought it could happen. No flaming, no disrespect, just a guess. Even most Bison fans think I am nuts!!
But that is the "fun" of college athletics. If you want a true measure of the resect that the Bison faithfull have for your program look no further than the sheer volume of buzz this has created in the Bison nation. You don't see this kind of excitement unless the opponent is truly big time and the Gophers definately are.
Any Bison victory will be a huge upset but thats why they play the games. Go Bison!!!

met1990
10-20-2006, 07:59 PM

I'm actually picking 38-17 UM. I think the Bison will be able to hang tough midway through the third quarter before things get away from them.