PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Bison (Buffalo)

ACECON
12-24-2013, 12:03 AM
For our watch party I was thinking about cooking a Bison roast. I don't want to screw this up, has anybody done this. Same as a regular roast? I'm afraid I will dry it out. I will probably just use our oven, bake or broil?

td577
12-24-2013, 12:07 AM
I have never cooked Bison, but this looks like a good recipe:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/succulent-bison-roast/#axzz2oLlaBu7f

bisonhp330
12-24-2013, 12:08 AM
make it like a prime rib...slow roast and med rare

here is the site i used
http://www.healthybuffalo.com/cooking_bison.htm

ZHerd
12-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Cooking it in with a fatty beef roast also works nicely. Buffalo roasts are good. Enjoy

BismarckBisonFan
12-24-2013, 12:29 AM
I am not kidding. Use Tatanka Dust Seasoning.

gumby013
12-24-2013, 12:37 AM
The more rare the better. Not much fat on it and it dries out.

PlainsBison
12-24-2013, 12:57 AM
In the business I work in, I hire a caterer out of Garrison, ND, who caters buffalo roast to us once in awhile. If you want, I could call him later this week and ask if he would be willing to share his suggestions.

MAKBison
12-24-2013, 05:05 AM
My family back in MT raised Bison for several years (dad retired)...we do a lot of self butchering etc etc. Anyway, the thing you need to keep in mind is the meat is much leaner than beef (about a 1/3 is what they say) Anyway, you will need to defrost slowly...no microwave!!!!! Also, marinate the meat and do not overcook. If like well done, go medium, medium rare go rare etc etc. Again low heat is the key!

Hammersmith
12-24-2013, 05:13 AM
My family back in MT raised Bison for several years (dad retired)...we do a lot of self butchering etc etc. Anyway, the thing you need to keep in mind is the meat is much leaner than beef (about a 1/3 is what they say) Anyway, you will need to defrost slowly...no microwave!!!!! Also, marinate the meat and do not overcook. If like well done, go medium, medium rare go rare etc etc. Again low heat is the key!

Does brining help with bison? If so, what flavors work well? Mustard, pepper, molasses and other strong flavors work well with pork, but I don't know enough about bison. Maybe strong herbs like rosemary? (heard a food joke about deer: why are deer repelled by rosemary? because they taste so good with it.)

Rynomite
12-24-2013, 06:04 AM
Some Tiger meat would be much more appealing to the palate.

MAKBison
12-24-2013, 06:23 AM
[QUOTE=Hammersmith;815536]Does brining help with bison? If so, what flavors work well? Mustard, pepper, molasses and other strong flavors work well with pork, but I don't know enough about bison. Maybe strong herbs like rosemary? (heard a food joke about deer: why are deer repelled by rosemary? because they taste so good with it.)[/QUOT

Yes it would work same is as it would for deer or elk which are also lean. Key difference is do not treat Bison like Beef...its not beef! It is more like wild game. I forgot to mention--- meat color is also different so dont let it throw you. Bison is red so it looks like it is not as done as it actually is.

MAKBison
12-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Some Tiger meat would be much more appealing to the palate.

Tiger meat and crackers....making me want a beer now:biggrin:

Are there nay bars that serve tiger meat in Fargo---probable one of the smaller towns around FM.

A1pigskin
12-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Several years ago, about 20, my mom had some Bison steaks that she soaked overnight in soy sauce and man were they good and tender. Just thinking of it makes me want to eat one.