PDA

View Full Version : The Next Chapter: 2014-2015 Team

Rynomite
12-23-2013, 03:44 PM
It has been such a rewarding experience to watch this experienced senior team make it to Frisco for what will be a 3-peat. But I have heard a lot of people who are "worried" with what next season will bring without Bohl, Jenson and the rest of the seniors. Not that we should get ahead of ourselves, but I think it is important to point out the fact that we have a great number of sophomores, juniors and seniors returning next year. The players noted are not a comprehensive list of returning players next year, but just a mention of familiar names that have had a great deal of experience and will fight for a 4-peat. Be Excited and renew those season tix!

Trevor Gebhart (WR)
CJ Smith (CB)
Carson Wentz (QB)
Adam Keller (K)
Ben LeCompte (P/K)
Colten Heagle (SS)
John Crockett (RB)
Chase Morlock (RB)
Jordan Champion (CB)
Christian Dudzik (FS)
Carlton Littlejohn (LB)
Andrew Bonnet (FB)
Travis Beck (LB)
Kyle Emanuel (DE)
Adam Schueller (OL)
Nate Moody (WR)
Zach Vraa (WR)
Casey Woods (WR)
Mike Hardie (DE)

bisonmike2
12-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Maybe we should table this thread until later. Who knows how many of these guys will opt to go pro instead of coming back. :)

KC Bison
12-23-2013, 03:52 PM
One step at a time. Lets lock down the three peat first.

BisonTru
12-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Next year will be exciting. IMO, biggest question mark is QB and the defensive line. We have talented underclass men at those position just haven't seen how it will translate to on field performance. If wentz and the D line prove to be any where nearly as good as what we have now the playoffs are a lock and a four peat could become a real conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Herd12
12-23-2013, 04:01 PM
It has been such a rewarding experience to watch this experienced senior team make it to Frisco for what will be a 3-peat. But I have heard a lot of people who are "worried" with what next season will bring without Bohl, Jenson and the rest of the seniors. Not that we should get ahead of ourselves, but I think it is important to point out the fact that we have a great number of sophomores, juniors and seniors returning next year. The players noted are not a comprehensive list of returning players next year, but just a mention of familiar names that have had a great deal of experience and will fight for a 4-peat. Be Excited and renew those season tix!

Trevor Gebhart (WR)
CJ Smith (CB)
Carson Wentz (QB)
Adam Keller (K)
Ben LeCompte (P/K)
Colten Heagle (SS)
John Crockett (RB)
Chase Morlock (RB)
Jordan Champion (CB)
Christian Dudzik (FS)
Carlton Littlejohn (LB)
Andrew Bonnet (FB)
Travis Beck (LB)
Kyle Emanuel (DE)
Adam Schueller (OL)
Nate Moody (WR)
Zach Vraa (WR)
Casey Woods (WR)
Mike Hardie (DE)

Odd that you mentioned Schueller, but didn't mention the actual returning starters on next year's O-line (Colville, Haeg, Z. Johnson). I also think there is a scenario in which Jesse Hinz is the starting C and Colville and Johnson play the guards giving the O-line a heck of a lot of experience considering the loss of a day 2 NFL draft pick and an HM all conference RG.

Rynomite
12-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Next year will be exciting. IMO, biggest question mark is QB and the defensive line. We have talented underclass men at those position just haven't seen how it will translate to on field performance. If wentz and the D line prove to be any where nearly as good as what we have now the playoffs are a lock and a four peat could become a real conversation.

Wentz has had some good experience this year. Even had a TD drive in the semi's against UNH. And this was with secondaries against their starters. IMO, I think Wentz has the potential to liken Jensons success. The D-line is in good shape! Mountain men on the lines and Littlejohn to fill Olson's shoes as the captain of the defense. Playoffs for sure! Not to get ahead of ourselves through ;)

GOBISON123
12-23-2013, 04:08 PM
You did not mention

PGT
Nick Deluca

And I know lot of folks including myself are curious about Carson Wentz, how will he perform under pressure after Brock's legacy is over. I guess we can discuss this after 2 weeks.

Kermit
12-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Odd that you mentioned Schueller, but didn't mention the actual returning starters on next year's O-line (Colville, Haeg, Z. Johnson). I also think there is a scenario in which Jesse Hinz is the starting C and Colville and Johnson play the guards giving the O-line a heck of a lot of experience considering the loss of a day 2 NFL draft pick and an HM all conference RG.

We have a couple of red shirts who may be in the mix for the o-line. Austin Kuhnert is a potential star. I've also heard good things about Zach Ziemer. Also, Jeremy Kelly is an intriguing transfer. Some people may question why he was at Crookston--but he was originally committed to Air Force, he had multiple D1 offers and he was recruited by the Bison out of high school.

Rynomite
12-23-2013, 04:21 PM
You did not mention

PGT
Nick Deluca

And I know lot of folks including myself are curious about Carson Wentz, how will he perform under pressure after Brock's legacy is over. I guess we can discuss this after 2 weeks.

I totally agree! I am a little excited to watch Wentz! He is the reason I don't leave the game until the end of the fourth! I want to see how he runs the offense when we are up 50 points. I think he is confident, but needs to make a few mistakes before he can match the legacy that is Brock!

Herd12
12-23-2013, 04:26 PM
The position I'm most excited about next year is LB. I love Grant Olson, and he's one of the NDSU athletes that I admire most from the last decade but having LJ, Beck, Thorton, PGT, DeLuca, Stumpf, Gates, Hahn, Plank and even Liekhus next year available without having to eff with anyone's redshirt from the incoming class is a fantastic position to be in. The impact will really be felt on special teams where having that many 6'1" 225 pound body types on the coverage units will be a real coup.

BismarckBisonFan
12-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Also have Thorton back at LB.

79FCourt
12-23-2013, 05:08 PM
I totally agree! I am a little excited to watch Wentz! He is the reason I don't leave the game until the end of the fourth! I want to see how he runs the offense when we are up 50 points. I think he is confident, but needs to make a few mistakes before he can match the legacy that is Brock!

Hopefully he can follow Jensen just like Simdorn followed Bentrim. (1987 excluded)

MAKBison
12-23-2013, 05:18 PM
We did recruite some legit dlined line talent last year.

wonder how we handle Board Dudzig and Heagle next year?

MAKBison
12-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Well Wentz wont/cant reach the same legendary status as Brock due to the years played (most FCS wins) Not to say he wont be as good or better!

dgoergs
12-23-2013, 06:23 PM
The position I'm most excited about next year is LB. I love Grant Olson, and he's one of the NDSU athletes that I admire most from the last decade but having LJ, Beck, Thorton, PGT, DeLuca, Stumpf, Gates, Hahn, Plank and even Liekhus next year available without having to eff with anyone's redshirt from the incoming class is a fantastic position to be in. The impact will really be felt on special teams where having that many 6'1" 225 pound body types on the coverage units will be a real coup.

I might be bias, but I would throw Goergen in the mix of LB's...runs a 4.5 and they have him up to 210. Believe they are looking at him for the Sam spot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

G_Funky
12-23-2013, 06:34 PM
There are so many household names on the roster right now it's hard to picture the offense and defense with other players in such critical positions. The potential is there with a lot of young talent that I'm sure is itching to prove their worth. I wouldnt be surprised if this next crew come out with a little bit of a chip on their shoulder because of all the question marks. This Bison team now is being dubbed one of the best ever in program history and for these younger kids that is a great motivator...

tjbison
12-23-2013, 06:35 PM
I love reading on all the opposing fans boards that say we are losing everyone and will be terrible next year.....lol

next year we could easily runt the valley table again lots of talent coming back that learned from the best

many of which would live to put 4 rings on

Kermit
12-23-2013, 06:47 PM
I might be bias, but I would throw Goergen in the mix of LB's...runs a 4.5 and they have him up to 210. Believe they are looking at him for the Sam spot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I agree. Goergen was mentioned by Bohl as a freshman who was standing out way back during summer camp.

This might be crazy, but with all of the young talent at linebacker, I wonder if they will still consider moving DeLuca to DE. I acknowledge that he has looked GREAT in limited reps at MLB. However, he looks like Kyle Emanuel 2.0. Gotta love a big, athletic kid who can dominate on kick coverage. Could he be our next ace pass rusher?

goalpost
12-23-2013, 07:03 PM
I agree. Goergen was mentioned by Bohl as a freshman who was standing out way back during summer camp.

This might be crazy, but with all of the young talent at linebacker, I wonder if they will still consider moving DeLuca to DE. I acknowledge that he has looked GREAT in limited reps at MLB. However, he looks like Kyle Emanuel 2.0. Gotta love a big, athletic kid who can dominate on kick coverage. Could he be our next ace pass rusher?

my biggest concern is the D-line , we need someone to step up next year

DORMIE
12-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Of the 24 seniors, 12 are starters. 10 are not seniors. A nice base to build on.

JSUBison
12-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Perkins as the Smith replacement is another one. He has potential and I think he'll do just fine.

Bison"FANatic"
12-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Has anyone heard of any players transferring yet? We seem to lose a few every year between the semesters.

Kermit
12-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Perkins as the Smith replacement is another one. He has potential and I think he'll do just fine.

Tyler Wrice could be another candidate at slot receiver.

DomeFieldAdvantage
12-23-2013, 07:57 PM
OL---Jack Plankers not mentioned, guessing he will be in the mix as well---pretty good overall depth up front!

Kermit
12-23-2013, 07:58 PM
OL---Jack Plankers not mentioned, guessing he will be in the mix as well---pretty good overall depth up front!

Landon Lechler too.

daddy daycare
12-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Well according to playoff scores we can have a 30 point drop and still be fine. #reload

Gully
12-24-2013, 12:48 AM
So much will depend on the QB. All signs point to a great kid with great talent. He's had a couple of years to mature and absorb the offense, watch Brock, etc. The question will be does he have that "it" factor. You can't know that until he plays a 3rd down in a game that's in doubt.

I think we'll be fine. The goal for next year should be to make the playoffs. Anything can happen from there.

MAKBison
12-24-2013, 12:51 AM
And dont forget how if we win the MV we are in a great position to win a NC....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin ::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::big grin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I love reading on all the opposing fans boards that say we are losing everyone and will be terrible next year.....lol

next year we could easily runt the valley table again lots of talent coming back that learned from the best

many of which would live to put 4 rings on

Ndsu84
12-24-2013, 01:22 AM
We have nothing to worry about with Wentz, he will amaze us. I hope he puts 30 pounds on just to scare the shit out of the opposition!

DjKyRo
12-24-2013, 02:01 AM
BadlandsBison and myself are now accepting nominations for the Up-and-coming Player Bandwagon now that Mike Hardie will be thrust into the limelight of starting and will, in all likelihood, eclipse 15 sacks next season en-route to First-team All America status. If you have a player that you think is worthy, make it known.

The full list of illustrious Bandwagon alumni:

Joe Horvath
Brett Pierce
Mike Hardie

Can an offensive player finally crack the list?

heffray
12-24-2013, 02:04 AM
BadlandsBison and myself are now accepting nominations for the Up-and-coming Player Bandwagon now that Mike Hardie will be thrust into the limelight of starting and will, in all likelihood, eclipse 15 sacks next season en-route to First-team All America status. If you have a player that you think is worthy, make it known.

Joe Horvath
Brett Pierce
Mike Hardie

Maybe this is too easy, but i really do think that Wentz will amaze us.

Kermit
12-24-2013, 02:20 AM

Joe Horvath
Brett Pierce
Mike Hardie

Chris Board

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHmDMFkuqfc&feature=youtu.be

Ndsu84
12-24-2013, 03:28 AM

I second Wentz's nomination.

344Johnson
12-24-2013, 04:34 AM

Joe Horvath
Brett Pierce
Mike Hardie

I don't know if we want an offensive player on the list...

MAKBison
12-24-2013, 04:47 AM
Was talking about him at lunch..........I am with you. I just wonder how the get him on the field. CG and CH will be back. I am thinking him and CH will be rotating.....thoughts

Chris Board

Rynomite
12-24-2013, 05:47 AM
Mike Hardie is a great guy too! Last year, he put in some time at the Fargo Park District helping out with kids sports programs such as the Youth Sports Sampler for kids. It was a once a week program for an hour where the kids could try out different sports. Five months later at the Green/Gold game, he remembered my 5 yr old and to this day, he still refers to him as Coach Mike!

BadlandsBison
12-24-2013, 06:12 AM

Joe Horvath
Brett Pierce
Mike Hardie

Bennie Wilson is my front runner. Given the awful history of my picks maybe I should just retire from Bandwagoning :D

Gully
12-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Was talking about him at lunch..........I am with you. I just wonder how the get him on the field. CG and CH will be back. I am thinking him and CH will be rotating.....thoughts

Maybe a LB in college? He looks huge on the HS tape and doesn't look super fast. He sure can hit though, wow.

gizmo
12-24-2013, 12:10 PM
It's not too early to talk about next year. Believe me, every FCS coach in America is wondering how good NDSU will be next year and I think they're scared to death!

The biggest hole to fill next year is that left by the departure of Coach Bohl and much of his staff. Klieman has potential and I believe he is the right person for the job but being an assistant is much different from being THE guy and assuming all of those responsibilities. IMO, Klieman and staff will have the talented players to field a VERY strong team next year. So, yeah, I'm VERY optimistic!

Go Bison!

Kermit
12-24-2013, 01:14 PM

We had 3 safeties on the field very often this year in Shep, Heagle, and Dudzik.

bisonfan08
12-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Chris Board

So I'll admit I had not yet seen this video of Board and I must say I'm a huge fan! He simply looks like a man amongst boys in most of these games and he can certainly lay a hit. He definitely will be able to contribute on special teams and I'm sure he'll see some time on defense, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him blitz the QB from the nickel spot and blow him up like he does a few other guys in this video.

thundarsdaddy
12-24-2013, 01:37 PM

I agree. Of course its his head and decision making that will be the final judge, but this kid has a Golden Arm if you ask me. And so mobile for a big guy. Its been fun just watching him on the sidelines, like a horse, ready to burst out of the starting gate, just waiting for playing time!!!
And when you people list off the names of the returning Bison players, I would bet that ANY FCS coach right now, would gladly trade his team for the 2014 Bison Squad. I really look forward to the challenge of next year!

thundarsdaddy
12-24-2013, 01:43 PM
So I'll admit I had not yet seen this video of Board and I must say I'm a huge fan! He simply looks like a man amongst boys in most of these games and he can certainly lay a hit. He definitely will be able to contribute on special teams and I'm sure he'll see some time on defense, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him blitz the QB from the nickel spot and blow him up like he does a few other guys in this video.

WOW! Thanks for posting this vid. This guy is like Joe Mays playing safety! And these are not slouch teams you see here, but very good FB teams. Lotsa speed and quickness and athleticism on the field, and Chris Board stands out!!

Herd12
12-24-2013, 03:14 PM
We had 3 safeties on the field very often this year in Shep, Heagle, and Dudzik.

I think he works himself into a Bryan Sheperd role before he's rotating in with Heagle. CH is, in my opinion, a safety on the level of Craig Dahl before his ACL injury. He will be another year removed from said injury when he takes the field in the fall. Dudzik is a very different player from those two. If Board is going to see the field, and I think he is then it will be as a drop safety when Heagle is down in the slot in our nickel package. I would assume that NDSU would choose to go with the 3 safety nickel package again next season as opposed to the more traditional 3 cornerback version. Nothing wrong with Champion or Smith but I think CK might rather have Board on the field than Colvin or Dempsey

unbison
12-24-2013, 03:28 PM
I think he works himself into a Bryan Sheperd role before he's rotating in with Heagle. CH is, in my opinion, a safety on the level of Craig Dahl before his ACL injury. He will be another year removed from said injury when he takes the field in the fall. Dudzik is a very different player from those two. If Board is going to see the field, and I think he is then it will be as a drop safety when Heagle is down in the slot in our nickel package. I would assume that NDSU would choose to go with the 3 safety nickel package again next season as opposed to the more traditional 3 cornerback version. Nothing wrong with Champion or Smith but I think CK might rather have Board on the field than Colvin or Dempsey
may that depend on the type of offensive scheme we are facing that week?

dragonsfan
12-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Crockett , Vraa, Gebhardt and Carey woods should be experienced and give wants incredible confidence.
Heagle littlejohn beck dudzik cj smith esley hardie will keep this defense #1

10-1 regular season 14-1 title again.

westnodak93bison
12-24-2013, 05:26 PM
It will be very interesting watching our DTs in spring ball. Schaetz is obviously proven himself and should be really good.
The young guys come in highly touted and will need to contribute in a big way.
62 Nate Tanguay DT 6-4 288 Fr. Mukwonago, Wis.
90 Grant Morgan DT 6-4 266 Fr. Oshkosh, Wis.
96 Nick Jacobsen DT 6-3 273 Fr. Prescott, Wis.
98 Austin Farnlof DT 6-1 264 RFr. Cave Creek, Ariz.
50 Bryce Messner DL 6-3 250 Fr. McVille, N.D.

goalpost
12-24-2013, 05:40 PM
It will be very interesting watching our DTs in spring ball. Schaetz is obviously proven himself and should be really good.
The young guys come in highly touted and will need to contribute in a big way.
62 Nate Tanguay DT 6-4 288 Fr. Mukwonago, Wis.
90 Grant Morgan DT 6-4 266 Fr. Oshkosh, Wis.
96 Nick Jacobsen DT 6-3 273 Fr. Prescott, Wis.
98 Austin Farnlof DT 6-1 264 RFr. Cave Creek, Ariz.

My thoughts exactly, its where it all starts

X-Factor
12-24-2013, 05:42 PM
I think that there are a few teams, whom I will not name here, that think next year is their time to shine after the bison "take a step back". It's going to be a very eye opening season, I will say that much!

Wentz to Vraa could be kryptonite! My ludicrous forecast for 2014 is Vraa with 1500 regular season receiving yards.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mayville Bison
12-24-2013, 05:44 PM
I think that there are a few teams, whom I will not name here, that think next year is their time to shine after the bison "take a step back". It's going to be a very eye opening season, I will say that much!

Wentz to Vraa could be kryptonite! My ludicrous forecast for 2014 is Vraa with 1500 regular season receiving yards.

Vraa 1500 receiving yards and JC 1500 rushing yards? Or is Morlock/Anderson going to get enough carries to prevent that?

Bison Bridge Guy
12-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Vraa 1500 receiving yards and JC 1500 rushing yards? Or is Morlock/Anderson going to get enough carries to prevent that?

I am excited to see how Morlock does next year. I was a little confused why he didn't redshirt this year. Did we really need another back? Seems like it would have worked perfectly to have Crockett as a senior next year with Morlock backing him up in his first year, and then be available as the main guy for 3 years. I admit though that I don't know a hell of a lot about how they manage redshirts, scholarships etc.

Kermit
12-24-2013, 08:48 PM
I am excited to see how Morlock does next year. I was a little confused why he didn't redshirt this year. Did we really need another back? Seems like it would have worked perfectly to have Crockett as a senior next year with Morlock backing him up in his first year, and then be available as the main guy for 3 years. I admit though that I don't know a hell of a lot about how they manage redshirts, scholarships etc.

They wanted Morlock, DeLuca, and Gee-Tucker on special teams. Most people under-estimate the importance of special teams in the overall success of the team. We can disagree, but that was the thinking.

Bison Bridge Guy
12-24-2013, 09:15 PM
They wanted Morlock, DeLuca, and Gee-Tucker on special teams. Most people under-estimate the importance of special teams in the overall success of the team. We can disagree, but that was the thinking.

I don't underestimate special teams and really enjoy watching them. I actually didn't notice him on Special teams until this last game however so I guess I don't watch as close as I think I do. Thanks for the insight, no disagreement from me necessarily, just didn't understand the need for him to play this year.

BlueBisonRock
12-24-2013, 09:52 PM

I don't underestimate special teams and really enjoy watching them. I actually didn't notice him on Special teams until this last game however so I guess I don't watch as close as I think I do. Thanks for the insight, no disagreement from me necessarily, just didn't understand the need for him to play this year.

When I review my photos of kickoff coverage, I usually see either 25 or 49 making some big hits or forcing the ball carrier into coverage. Looking at our KO and Punt coverage stats this year all I can say is wow. Yes, they are making a significant contribution to field position in their roles.

Bison Bridge Guy
12-24-2013, 10:00 PM
When I review my photos of kickoff coverage, I usually see either 25 or 49 making some big hits or forcing the ball carrier into coverage. Looking at our KO and Punt coverage stats this year all I can say is wow. Yes, they are making a significant contribution to field position in their roles.

I'm usually focused on Pierre, Thorton, and Shep. Guess I've been missing out! You are correct tho, coverage teams have been outstanding.

X-Factor
12-26-2013, 04:06 AM
I'm usually focused on Pierre, Thorton, and Shep. Guess I've been missing out! You are correct tho, coverage teams have been outstanding.

Good coverage team generally indicates superior team depth, which should bode very well for replacing this tremendous group of seniors.

ndsubison1
12-26-2013, 04:51 AM
this team on paper should be a seed and probably a top 3-4 seed. we may not be as deep though. the DL and QB play will be key. OL, LB, Secondary will be loaded

DomeFieldAdvantage
12-26-2013, 05:55 AM
Any chance Deluca could end up being a DE? No idea for sure, seems like pretty good depth at LB & he came in as a true freshman at 6'4 235---could be a great DE with a little more size (weight), very athletic edge player!

natstar1
12-26-2013, 06:15 AM
Let me throw out a hypothetical. Wentz has a season similar to Jensen's junior season. What is the 2014 regular season record?

Also, who are the favorites in the conference outside of the Bison?

BisoninNWMN
12-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Let me throw out a hypothetical. Wentz has a season similar to Jensen's junior season. What is the 2014 regular season record?

Also, who are the favorites in the conference outside of the Bison?

UNI will probably be the favorite.

SDSU should be good. NDSU will be right up there.

A1pigskin
12-26-2013, 12:32 PM
IMO Morlock and Crockett will be another one two punch.

daHERDfollower
12-26-2013, 03:01 PM
IMO Morlock and Crockett will be another one two punch.

Throw Anderson in the mix and you have a three-headed Bison Dragon.....

Herd12
12-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Any chance Deluca could end up being a DE? No idea for sure, seems like pretty good depth at LB & he came in as a true freshman at 6'4 235---could be a great DE with a little more size (weight), very athletic edge player!

tend to agree here. Team is deep and loaded at LB for foreseeable future. Beck, LJ, Thorton, PGT, Deluca, Stumpf, Gates, Hahn, Plank, Goergen, Marlette, you would think they could afford to move Deluca to DE.

BisonNation11
12-26-2013, 03:12 PM
tend to agree here. Team is deep and loaded at LB for foreseeable future. Beck, LJ, Thorton, PGT, Deluca, Stumpf, Gates, Hahn, Plank, Goergen, Marlette, you would think they could afford to move Deluca to DE.

So out of all of those, who would play MLB? Deluca is the only one with a frame built for that position and who do you see come in when LJ & GO come out of games? DeLuca. He's built to stop the run and if he has the quickness to cover the middle of the field he will be an AA before his career is done.

Herd12
12-26-2013, 03:17 PM
So out of all of those, who would play MLB? Deluca is the only one with a frame built for that position and who do you see come in when LJ & GO come out of games? DeLuca. He's built to stop the run and if he has the quickness to cover the middle of the field he will be an AA before his career is done.

See that's the thing, I agree with you that Deluca is the only prototypical MLB on the roster. My question is whether or not Klieman's coaches will care, because the old ones didn't. Preston Evans was 5-11 220, GO is 6-0 230ish and even the great Joe Mays was only (generously) 5-11 235 when he was at NDSU.

BismarckBisonFan
12-26-2013, 03:18 PM

Nick D. will be at middle LB next year IMO. I think we might see some position changes though. There is a lot of talent with the younger classes. These younger guys work hard and have been practicing against some damn good players the last two three years. I believe we are going to keep the bus rolling next year and will be in the hunt come December. Can't wait for next Thursday, flying out be in Frisco at Nine p.m.

BisonNation11
12-26-2013, 03:30 PM
See that's the thing, I agree with you that Deluca is the only prototypical MLB on the roster. My question is whether or not Klieman's coaches will care, because the old ones didn't. Preston Evans was 5-11 220, GO is 6-0 230ish and even the great Joe Mays was only (generously) 5-11 235 when he was at NDSU.

They also weren't able to recruit kids his size and ability to come to NDSU. Now we can and have. Klieman used who was best on the roster when he came here which was GO (and he will go down as one of the best MLB of all time at NDSU). DeLuca brings in a new breed of MLB to NDSU and I hope he stays there. He shows he has the quickness and physical ability to play the position. I just hope he's smart enough and gets the opportunity.

mtoutfitter
12-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Let's say they do move DeLuca to DE...wouldn't Plank fit in at MLB? By next year he should be in the 230 range, plenty big enough. Just my 2 cents out here in Mt.

westnodak93bison
12-26-2013, 04:28 PM
I quit worrying about the size of our players. CLJ is playing mlb at a very high level and is listed at 216lbs. Our team speed on D is amazing. Colville is playing C very well at 270lbs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

HerdBot
12-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Nick D. will be at middle LB next year IMO. I think we might see some position changes though. There is a lot of talent with the younger classes. These younger guys work hard and have been practicing against some damn good players the last two three years. I believe we are going to keep the bus rolling next year and will be in the hunt come December. Can't wait for next Thursday, flying out be in Frisco at Nine p.m.

I think we see Littlejohn stay at middle with DeLuca spelling him frequently. (Think GO spelling PE in 2011) Ironically enough we ended up being better with LJ since he is a stud in coverage but he can't play every down. Well see Thornton play base defense but see PGT start by the end of the year. His coverage ability is excellent, something that is key in the Tampa2. Plus we will be deeper at linebacker than in the secondary and we like to play nickel a ton

Then in 2015 it will be Deluca, PGT, and ?

DomeFieldAdvantage
12-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Hypothetically if Deluca gains 30-40 lbs. he would be 265-275, just a possibility he might move---he appears to be a great asset no matter where he ends up---the BISON are just reloading!!

Herd
12-26-2013, 05:08 PM
I certainly hope that Deluca is the starting MLB next year (or competes with Esley), with LJ strong and Beck weak, in a 6-7 man rotation in volving Stumpf, Gee, Plank, etc. IMO, you have to start getting more LB on the field if you want to be able to continue to recruit successfully at that position. If Deluca grows to around 250 and keeps his speed, that is great . . . keep him at LB. LJ is too valuable on the edge with his speed to move away from his best position for 2014.

LJ is too valuable to get beat up at MLB for an entire season. The middle should be the winner of Deluca and Thornton.

HerdBot
12-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Hypothetically if Deluca gains 30-40 lbs. he would be 265-275, just a possibility he might move---he appears to be a great asset no matter where he ends up---the BISON are just reloading!!

DEs will be Hardie and Emmanuel with Ambroscious in on the rotation. Menard could see some action too. I would rather see us find a juco DE than move DeLuca... mike linebacker is tough to learn while a juco DE is fairly easy
Dandre Gillins could play but at 5-10 he seems kind of short

HerdBot
12-26-2013, 05:13 PM
I certainly hope that Deluca is moved to the Mtarting LB spot next year (or competes with Esley), with LJ strong and Beck weak, in a 6-7 man rotation in volving Stumpf, Gee, Plank, etc. IMO, you have to start getting more LB on the field if you want to be able to continue to recruit successfully at that position. If Deluca grows to around 240-245 and keeps his speed, that is great . . . keep him at LB. LJ is too valuable on the edge with his speed to move away from his best position for 2014.

LJ is too valuable to get beat up at MLB for an entire season. The middle should be the winner of Deluca and Thornton.

LJ has been our nickel middle linebacker for 2 years so the transition has been fairly easy but we don't want to wear him out so DeLuca should see some snaps. Depends how quickly he gets acclimated

Thornton is great in base but coverage is his weakness. PGT has the skills to play coverage.

tony
12-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Don't forget about Hahn at LB
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Herd12
12-26-2013, 06:00 PM
I think we see Littlejohn stay at middle with DeLuca spelling him frequently. (Think GO spelling PE in 2011) Ironically enough we ended up being better with LJ since he is a stud in coverage but he can't play every down. Well see Thornton play base defense but see PGT start by the end of the year. His coverage ability is excellent, something that is key in the Tampa2. Plus we will be deeper at linebacker than in the secondary and we like to play nickel a ton

Then in 2015 it will be Deluca, PGT, and ?

This is just my opinion, but I think that our best back 7 players after GO went down are Beck, LJ, MWill, Smith, Heagle, Dudzik and Shep. Having the best 11 defenders on the field might have more to do with it than a scheme shift.

NodakGreg
12-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Trevor Gebhart (WR)
CJ Smith (CB)
Carson Wentz (QB)
Adam Keller (K)
Ben LeCompte (P/K)
Colten Heagle (SS)
John Crockett (RB)
Chase Morlock (RB)
Jordan Champion (CB)
Christian Dudzik (FS)
Carlton Littlejohn (LB)
Andrew Bonnet (FB)
Travis Beck (LB)
Kyle Emanuel (DE)
Adam Schueller (OL)
Nate Moody (WR)
Zach Vraa (WR)
Casey Woods (WR)
Mike Hardie (DE)

Great post. Actually for Bison Fans your exactly correct. 2013 Team will win in Frisco and win the Trifecta. With all the guys you have listed and many more waiting to show every what THEY can do with all the Seniors leaving, this future 2014 team will surprise many across the nation and should strive for a 4th National Championship and nothing less. They should win the MVFC again, and make another run. If they go down to Ames, next Sept.2014 and beat the ISU Cyclones on national TV again, guess what the Herd will be on the march again. That will show to many how good this team will be in 2014.
Wentz can throw a better ball the Jensen and just needs to get a full game under his belt, as the defense will be darn good next year as well.
No need to worry after next Saturday, but to look forward to Bison football in 2014 and winning tradition to continue!
Go Herd - let the tradition continue.....

Nodak Greg

MAKBison
12-26-2013, 10:14 PM
agree 100% If Coach K can keep the j&g's coming in the x&o's will not be an issue.

Great post. Actually for Bison Fans your exactly correct. 2013 Team will win in Frisco and win the Trifecta. With all the guys you have listed and many more waiting to show every what THEY can do with all the Seniors leaving, this future 2014 team will surprise many across the nation and should strive for a 4th National Championship and nothing less. They should win the MVFC again, and make another run. If they go down to Ames, next Sept.2014 and beat the ISU Cyclones on national TV again, guess what the Herd will be on the march again. That will show to many how good this team will be in 2014.
Wentz can throw a better ball the Jensen and just needs to get a full game under his belt, as the defense will be darn good next year as well.
No need to worry after next Saturday, but to look forward to Bison football in 2014 and winning tradition to continue!
Go Herd - let the tradition continue.....

Nodak Greg

reformedUNDfan
12-26-2013, 11:01 PM
so where does thorton play? Could he bulk up enough to rotate at DE?

Jay
12-26-2013, 11:14 PM
so where does thorton play? Could he bulk up enough to rotate at DE?

Thorton will be at LB.

Herd890
12-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Thorton will be at LB.

Agree there is zero chance Esley moves. Correct me if I'm wrong but jarrod tuszka is scheduled to be back playing next year or spring ball and is slated at DE. I haven't heard how his injury is progressing though.

HerdBot
12-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Agree there is zero chance Esley moves. Correct me if I'm wrong but jarrod tuszka is scheduled to be back playing next year or spring ball and is slated at DE. I haven't heard how his injury is progressing though.

Forgot about him... Achilles surgery back in May. Should be recovered soon it's been 7 months. Good size at 6-4, 220 really good athlete

ZHerd
12-26-2013, 11:55 PM

Isn't 220 too small for DE...even in FCS?

westnodak93bison
12-27-2013, 12:35 AM
Forgot about him... Achilles surgery back in May. Should be recovered soon it's been 7 months. Good size at 6-4, 220 really good athlete

Forgot about him as well. Why is he not on the roster? He is in the student listing.

ndsubison1
12-27-2013, 06:36 AM
i predict littlejohn stays at MLB

Hola
01-04-2014, 10:55 PM
It has been a great ride with this senior class, and they delivered on all that promise. I think it is exciting to now turn the page and see what happens next. Totally excited for the 2014 year. A lot of talent still remains on the squad along with the recruits that will come in. With some of the unknowns, it brings a great deal of anticipation and excitement for the New Year. It will be a very, very interesting year on Bisonville.:)

loudsilverado
01-04-2014, 11:46 PM
We will still have a ton of talent. We will be good next year. I'm sick of people having negative attitudes on FB, Twitter, and every where else saying "well, it's over now" etc.....

A1pigskin
01-05-2014, 12:38 AM
The team will be good next year. The only difference is the team will have a bigger target on their back for being the 3peat champions.

stevdock
01-05-2014, 12:39 AM
We are still going to be very good. I just hope the rest of FCS steps it up. I'd like to have at least 3 out of 15 (or 16) games last until the 4th quarter next year since we really only had 2 this year. This team this season was just dominant in every facet and it was a joy to watch them grow up in front of us. I'm excited to watch the next crew do the same and that starts very soon :)

westnodak93bison
01-05-2014, 01:15 AM
Its gonna be a very long 8 months. No college fb sucks!

AjaxTheMighty
01-05-2014, 01:41 AM
We are still going to be very good. I just hope the rest of FCS steps it up. I'd like to have at least 3 out of 15 (or 16) games last until the 4th quarter next year since we really only had 2 this year. This team this season was just dominant in every facet and it was a joy to watch them grow up in front of us. I'm excited to watch the next crew do the same and that starts very soon :)

Disagree, I want a 32.75 average win, undefeated season and a 4-peat. Zero close games, I don't give a crap if its good. I want complete domination top to bottom...like this year! Bam!

bisoningrandforks
01-05-2014, 02:05 AM
cant wait for next year....we will be good!....how good who knows....will be fun to watch....till then focus is on my golf game (when it warms up)

pucknut9
01-05-2014, 02:07 AM
Wentz has had some good experience this year. Even had a TD drive in the semi's against UNH. And this was with secondaries against their starters. IMO, I think Wentz has the potential to liken Jensons success. The D-line is in good shape! Mountain men on the lines and Littlejohn to fill Olson's shoes as the captain of the defense. Playoffs for sure! Not to get ahead of ourselves through ;) Wentz will be just fine. No worries at QB.

Herd12
01-05-2014, 02:12 AM
honestly the only thing that concerns me about next year is left tackle and the defensive tackle rotation.

Strategery
01-05-2014, 02:56 AM
I think we're looking at a minimum eight-peat.

reformedUNDfan
01-05-2014, 04:30 AM
honestly the only thing that concerns me about next year is left tackle and the defensive tackle rotation.

Maybe fullback/te. Bonnett is a monster but someone will have to step up.

onbison09
01-05-2014, 04:31 AM
What playoff game was it where Wentz had some huge 3rd down conversions? Was it Georgia Southern last year? I can't remember why in the hell he was in there or what game it was. Maybe I'm making things up in my head.

bisonboone11
01-05-2014, 05:00 AM
What playoff game was it where Wentz had some huge 3rd down conversions? Was it Georgia Southern last year? I can't remember why in the hell he was in there or what game it was. Maybe I'm making things up in my head.
I believe he came in and lined up as WR during that game. Took a handoff or pitch and thought about throwing and scrambled for decent yardage.

BisManBison
01-05-2014, 05:44 AM
Why we have a chance to 4-peat.

Compare this team to next years, is the team that played today going to be 4 touchdowns better than the team we will put on the field next year?? And I would argue we were better than the 4 touchdown spread of today's game than anyone in the playoffs this year. We could have run the score up in everyone of our playoff games. I'd say next years team would have been the second best team this years team would have faced. Discuss....

GOBISON123
01-05-2014, 06:33 AM
I like what Carlton LittleJohn said in the Post game interview, "We have to look at what we have and prepare some guys for the next season, not look at what we dont have "

reformedUNDfan
01-05-2014, 11:23 AM
people really need to take a step back and look what is coming back:

vraa gebhart woods perkins crocket morlock (you know you've liked what you've seen) johnson Colville haeg bonnet emmanual littlejon beck pgt deluca thorton smith champion dudzik heagle

there are at least 4 preseason all americans in that group. Vraa crocket johnson emmanual beck littlejon smith dudzik and heagle all have solid shots at being all pre-americans. There is as much or more talent there than came back in 2011 or 2012.

bisonmike2
01-05-2014, 11:37 AM
4-peat. Anything else would be a disappointment.