PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Kentucky University considering trying to join FBS...

KyleK
12-16-2013, 09:52 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20131205/SPORTS12/312050091/

Well thats it, if EKU is considering it, we really should be! :)

Eastern Kentucky University could be an NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision member as soon as 2016.

EKU President Michael Benson said the earliest the school could apply for reclassification from FCS status to the highest level of college football would be in the spring. The Colonels, who are considering making the move, would then be in a two-year transition period before becoming a full-fledged bowl-eligible program in 2016.

Benson said no final decision has been made yet regarding such an application. EKU would have to receive an invitation from an FBS conference in order to make the move. Benson and athletic director Mark Sandy have said that the Mid-American and Sun Belt conferences would be the best fits for the Colonels, who are charter members of the Ohio Valley Conference.

“If this is something we’re going to do and we get the invite, I would see us moving as expeditiously as we can,” said Benson, who was hired from Southern Utah and took over as president in August. “I don’t know if I can put a time on it right now. This is a decision that’s imminent.”

EKU could become the fourth FBS program in the state, joining the University of Louisville, the University of Kentucky and Western Kentucky University. WKU chose to jump to the FBS in November 2006, and the Hilltoppers became bowl-eligible members of the Sun Belt in 2009.

Benson said that conference realignment is one reason EKU is exploring the FBS. He also acknowledged that the Colonels have paid attention to what WKU has done recently. The Hilltoppers just completed an 8-4 regular season and are bowl-eligible for the third straight season. They will be leaving the Sun Belt for Conference USA next summer.

EKU and WKU used to meet regularly in the “Battleof theBluegrass,” but a rivalry that dated to 1914 ended with the Hilltoppers’ move to the FBS. The football teams last met in 2008. If EKU joins the FBS, it would provide an opportunity to resume the series.

“Our biggest crowds in the history of our football program have been when we’ve played Western Kentucky,” Benson said. “I’d love nothing more than to see us do a home-and-home. That’s healthy for the commonwealth and healthy for our institutions.”

In the FBS, the scholarship limit would increase from 63 to 85. Previously, Sandy said Roy Kidd Stadium probably would need some renovations but would retain its capacity of 20,000. The school would have to almost double its annual football budget of $3 million.

Right now, Benson said EKU is considering only the Sun Belt and the MAC.

In 2014 the football-playing Sun Belt schools will be Appalachian State, Arkansas State, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Idaho, New Mexico State, South Alabama, Texas State, Troy, Louisiana-Lafayette and Louisiana-Monroe. The Sun Belt has two bowl tie-ins: the GoDaddy Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl in Louisiana.

“The Sun Belt is looking for an Eastern team,” Benson said. “I’ve also heard they’re looking at other schools. ... We’re not the only one out there.”

The MAC’s football schools are Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green State, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Massachusetts, Miami of Ohio, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Toledo and Western Michigan. However, there are questions about what will happen to UMass, which is not a full-time MAC member — the Minutemen still play basketball in the Atlantic 10.

In 2014 the MAC will have four bowl tie-ins: the GoDaddy Bowl, the Camellia Bowl in Montgomery, Ala., the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in Boise and the Boca Raton Bowl in Florida.

Bison56
12-16-2013, 09:58 PM
What is the big deal about being FBS? I dont understand what the big push is, is it just to say we are FBS? I dont see nay benefit other than having an FBS label.

Tatanka
12-16-2013, 10:06 PM
:facepalm:

KyleK
To me, it doesn't really matter if the Bison do or don't. It really comes down to what the people that make those decision want to do. I posted it for people to read, don’t think anyone reading the post is going to make the decision to move up or not. But it is fun to see what others think on the subject and have a discussion.

MNLonghorn10
What is the big deal about being FBS? I dont understand what the big push is, is it just to say we are FBS? I dont see nay benefit other than having an FBS label.

Money conference affiliation better opponents

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

heckler
12-16-2013, 10:07 PM
we can't afford to compete on the next level, just look at what we are paying coaches now.

IBleedYellow
12-16-2013, 10:07 PM
These new posters that come here and push their FBS agenda are funny. :duel:

KyleK
12-16-2013, 10:10 PM

:bow:

Really, I like the discussion. For the record, I do think we could do it. Sure, it will take time, but so did the last jump.

BTW, I'm not a new poster, I had this account for awhile, but when we moved to MN I lost access to the email and couldn't reset the password...so I joined again and Tony got me my old username back. I've been a member for awhile, just didn't post very often.

marenlee
12-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Am I wrong when I say that people who are adamant about NDSU staying FCS do not follow FBS football? I was always an FBS fan before FCS and really have only started closely following the FCS the past 4-5 years. I hate to add to the millionth topic on this, but I would love to NDSU at the FBS level. But I'll still support NDSU football at whatever level they end up.

56BISON73
12-16-2013, 10:12 PM
To me, it doesn't really matter if the Bison do or don't. It really comes down to what the people that make those decision want to do. I posted it for people to read, don’t think anyone reading the post is going to make the decision to move up or not. But it is fun to see what others think on the subject and have a discussion.

A discussion? Have you not seen this same discussion numerous times on this venue? Its not like this is a new subject. But thank you for being our new facilitator.

KyleK
12-16-2013, 10:16 PM
A discussion? Have you not seen this same discussion numerous times on this venue? Its not like this is a new subject. But thank you for being our new facilitator.

I sure have...so Bisonville should really only have about 20 topics a year, because the rest of them have already been discussed? Why does someone always have to have an agenda if they post something.

Kermit
12-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Am I wrong when I say that people who are adamant about NDSU staying FCS do not follow FBS football? I was always an FBS fan before FCS and really have only started closely following the FCS the past 4-5 years. I hate to add to the millionth topic on this, but I would love to NDSU at the FBS level. But I'll still support NDSU football at whatever level they end up.

Am I wrong that people who are adamant about NDSU moving to FBS just want to follow an FBS team and they just assume that somebody will fund the move?

I am not against a move, IF the resources are in place to allow us a fair chance to be successful. Until then, I prefer to enjoy what we have.

Bison56
12-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Am I wrong that people who are adamant about NDSU moving to FBS just want to follow an FBS team and they just assume that somebody will fund the move?

I am not against a move, IF the resources are in place to allow us a fair chance to be successful. Until then, I prefer to enjoy what we have.

^^^This^^^

silkamilkamonico
12-16-2013, 10:59 PM
I want to see NDSU on FBS level just to see how competitive they can be and where they could be at year in and out as a program.
Obviously if they can make it work financially is another discussion.

MAKBison
12-16-2013, 11:04 PM
I think if the move was made we could do it successfully. The issue is no one will come out and say no or yes...we have a plan. It always, we are waiting to see what happens. 99% of the time, those who wait to see what happens are late to the game.

WYOBISONMAN
12-16-2013, 11:10 PM

Yes, you are wrong. I always follow FBS. I suspect most college football fans follow FBS......Even if it is just hating Alabama..... ;)

taper
12-16-2013, 11:14 PM
EKU would have to receive an invitation from an FBS conference in order to make the move.

Why do people always forget this part? Unlike DII to DI, you are required to have a conference invite to be FBS.

GOBISON123
12-16-2013, 11:15 PM
We need to add more seats in Fargodome, rest will follow.

KyleK
12-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Why do people always forget this part? Unlike DII to DI, you are required to have a conference invite to be FBS.

Agreed, but, I think if NDSU did make the jump that wouldn't be an issue...but, I could be wrong. Good point though.

BisonNeil
12-17-2013, 12:11 AM

I guess that is one way to describe it. I wouldn't, but hey, that is just me as I have no interest in going to watch in person or on TV the Bison play Eastern Nobody University in the S#!t Bowl.

BlueBisonRock
12-17-2013, 12:18 AM
I would love it if NDSU moved to the Big 12, built a big indoor stadium, and were in the elite BCS group. However, I am spending other peoples money rather than my own if I promote this dream. The key to any project be it a minor household renovation or driving this dream is to have a solid and sponsor supported plan. Before one can nail down the objectives and scope of such a project, one needs a business case that appeals and will receive a commitment from multiple sponsors who likely have competing agendas. It has been established many times that NDSU would need a hell of a lot more money to move and to support ongoing operations in addition to convincing the elite to invite NDSU to a conference.

I am happy for EKU as they move forward and I do hope we don't read about them needing a boat load of money in five to ten years. I simply want to see a business case and up front commitments including a conference commitment before we again try to spend other peoples money rather than anteing up our own.

BisonTeacher
12-17-2013, 12:45 AM
This is the third thread on this topic in a week.

SoCalBison
12-17-2013, 01:18 AM
I guess that is one way to describe it. I wouldn't, but hey, that is just me as I have no interest in going to watch in person or on TV the Bison play Eastern Nobody University in the S#!t Bowl.

I believe that would be the "Tito's Taco Truck S#!t Bowl" :)

daddy daycare
12-17-2013, 01:19 AM
Glad I'm not an EKU fan.

56BISON73
12-17-2013, 02:52 AM
This is the third thread on this topic in a week.

That was my point earlier.:facepalm:

Flow 2-3-4-5
12-17-2013, 03:11 AM

I have been following Bison football since the 80's, am a Bison alum, and used to work in the athletic dept and I just don't get the push to go FBS. I love the FCS playoff system.

If we went FBS how many fans would be excited to wait a month after the regular season ends to maybe get a trip to Detroit for the Papa John's Bowl or maybe Boise for the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl? Yippee! :biggrin:

No thanks, I'll trust Gene to lead us to the appropriate level once the big 5 conferences go off and do their own thing. I don't get what Georgia Southern, App State, Western KY, UMass et al see in making the move up. The grass ain't always greener!

DjKyRo
12-17-2013, 03:18 AM
I think I'm going to go buy a million-dollar house. Everybody else is, so I should too. My neighbors are total plebians. I'll just need everyone on Bisonville to wire me $1,000. I'll also need about $50,000 from my parents, but why wouldn't they give me that money with no strings attached? They're on my side, right? And if they're not, they should change their minds. Who cares about paying the property tax in the future? I live in a million-dollar house; what could go wrong?

Strongman
12-17-2013, 03:42 AM
I have been following Bison football since the 80's, am a Bison alum, and used to work in the athletic dept and I just don't get the push to go FBS. I love the FCS playoff system.

If we went FBS how many fans would be excited to wait a month after the regular season ends to maybe get a trip to Detroit for the Papa John's Bowl or maybe Boise for the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl? Yippee! :biggrin:

No thanks, I'll trust Gene to lead us to the appropriate level once the big 5 conferences go off and do their own thing. I don't get what Georgia Southern, App State, Western KY, UMass et al see in making the move up. The grass ain't always greener!

I am surprised with your answer because of your listed "qualifications." Do you have ANY idea what drives college football???? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The expected $ and TV RATINGS FOR THE FOUR TEAM PLAYOFF PLAYOFFS IS GOING TO BE HUGE. The TV contract will be torn up, like Bohl's just was and $ will dictate a 8, 16, and 20 team playoff system within the next 5 to 8 years. With a 16 to 20 team, ALL FBS conference champions would make the playoffs as well as 5 to 9 at large bids. That is the future of college football. Why? Because of $ and TV ratings.

Does NDSU, as the MAC, or MWC champion, as a #20 seed want to play Michigan State in the Open round of the playoffs? Or do we want to be conservative and remain in a water down FCS whilst all the other FCS Big Dawgs move up?????????

90 BISON
12-17-2013, 03:56 AM

Or in the case of those in Kentucky the grass isn't always Bluer! :biggrin:

90 BISON
12-17-2013, 03:59 AM
On a serious note who would not want Bowl tie-ins to the Papa John's Pizza Bowl, with very little chance of a BCS Bowl?

JSUBison
12-17-2013, 04:02 AM
I think I'm going to go buy a million-dollar house. Everybody else is, so I should too. My neighbors are total plebians. I'll just need everyone on Bisonville to wire me $1,000. I'll also need about $50,000 from my parents, but why wouldn't they give me that money with no strings attached? They're on my side, right? And if they're not, they should change their minds. Who cares about paying the property tax in the future? I live in a million-dollar house; what could go wrong?

This crowd pushing for an FBS move while remaining silent on the $$$ issue are the same type that have 10 g's worth of credit card debt and don't donate jack to teammakers because they "can't afford it right now".

SafeTeeJ
12-17-2013, 04:03 AM
who gives a crap....
move this to "other schools" page

BisonTeacher
12-18-2013, 01:27 AM
With a 16 to 20 team, ALL FBS conference champions would make the playoffs as well as 5 to 9 at large bids.

I call BS. I will believe it when I see it. Where are you getting your info? Or are you just guessing that the big conferences will let the little ones into their little playoff?

Plus....There are some cold dying rich hands that wont let go of that bowl system.

td577
12-18-2013, 01:46 AM
The bowl games mentioned are starting to sound like something made up in a video game.

SlickVic
12-18-2013, 02:01 AM
Mac attack. Mountain west for the best who care just get in somehow get that NCAA tourney money tv money and won't have to hear people call us d2 win win win fargodome at 20k x $50 is what my boy Jamie fox says- a milli a milli a milli

LikeMothers
12-18-2013, 02:53 AM
I like us right where we're at and don't want us to go FBS.

1. I like having a real championship.
2. I like not having the corruption that will inevitably follow such a move "up"
3. I like having players that are students first.
4. I like being able to get to know some of the players, former players, and their parents, and not have them sequestered off into palatial suites.
5. I like following a college team, not a college-owned pro team.

td577
12-18-2013, 04:23 AM
I've never weighed in on this subject. I like us right where we're at and don't want us to go FBS.

1. I like having a real championship.
2. I like not having the corruption that will inevitably follow such a move "up"
3. I like having players that are students first.
4. I like being able to get to know some of the players, former players, and their parents, and not have them sequestered off into palatial suites.
5. I like following a college team, not a college-owned pro team.

Those are most certainly the things I like about this level.

I think the long range plan is to not get caught in the third rung. Lets just call the top level BCS to differentiate the super conferences theory and their 60 team dream. So if this happens, will there be a BCS, FBS, FCS, D2 and so on? If this is the case, we don't want to get caught in the FCS level when the FBS level is the most appropriate. I don't know how you make sure you don't end up in that 3rd division. Are we ok if we simply wait for everything to shake itself out? Will there be a push for that 2nd tier new FBS level to pull the better now FCS conferences towards them? Can they essentially have a third tier and still be D1? I think this is where it gets really messed up.

I would like to see the super conference idea happen. Let the top 64 schools divide up into 4 super conferences and 2 sub-conferences each. Then have that next level still be 85 scholarships and include who is left in the FBS and the FCS schools willing to ante up more scholarships. Then all the FCS schools now who don't want to be part of the scholarship game, like the Ivy League and others, you put them in the third tier.

The only thing is I don't want the current FCS schools to fall into a third tier simply because they didn't move into FBS when it was still all a discombobulated idea.

Tatanka
12-18-2013, 04:28 AM
What would be pretty cool would be to have relegated tiers, with the ability to move up or down based on performance. Won't happen but its not a terrible system...

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.