PDA

View Full Version : Coach K's Staff Prognostication

Pages : [1] 2

Jay
12-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Who stays from the current staff?

Who is being talked about coming in?

Already hearing Salmon's name as previously mentioned.

I'm very excited to see who he can bring in. Will have great contacts and lots of possibilities. Will be fun to watch.

NWNDBison
12-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Bohl will probably take most of who's left on staff. Must be a big disappointment to WYO that Klieman won't be coming to them. I think they really wanted to improve their defense. But Bohl has good connections. He knows what to look for. I also think Bohl has good relations with Klieman, certainly a love for the advantages NDSU has given him in his career ladder. Once his own coaching staff is filled, I have no doubt Bohl will help Klieman find the best staff possible. Coaching is a fraternity, they say. And yes, NDSU is a great move for many very capable disillusioned coaching coordinators who just want to work for a championship caliber team.

DIBISON
12-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Brian Ward of Western Illinois for defensive coordinator. He was with the Bison a couple of years ago. He is a star in the making.

WYOBISONMAN
12-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Breske?????

bisoningrandforks
12-15-2013, 09:00 PM
I think Mike Breskke is wash st d-coord..

bisoningrandforks
12-15-2013, 09:01 PM
OPPS! Sorry didn't see purple font!......I cant be color blind!

DjKyRo
12-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Folks have speculated on both Burns and Cooper remaining but both of them are going with Bohl. The only two coaches whose names I haven't seen mentioned are Goeser and Fuchs, and either of those two could still possibly be leaving. I think the Salmon connection with Klieman from UNI is a good one - that offense has had some crazy weapons the last few years, and I'm guessing that as a former quarterback for the Panthers he's had some impact on the positive progressions of Tirrell Rennie and Sawyer Kollmorgen over the past four seasons. Salmon has been at UNI for 27 years, so he obviously knows league defenses and despite this year's Panther squad's pedestrian offensive numbers, he's had some success there and I have to attribute his remainder as a sign of his affinity for the UNI program. Injuries played a ton into UNI's struggles this year - look no further than how they played against us and you know they had/have some legit weapons on offense.

Here's Salmon's page on UNI's website (http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=626870&SPID=90703&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=26200&ATCLID=205206081&Q_SEASON=2013), for those interested.

Elsewhere, wouldn't be surprised if a staffer or two from WIU defected here given Klieman's past work at that university. Also wouldn't be surprised if we get a name or two that no one on here knows anything about from Klieman's D-III connections or elsewhere. I trust that he'll have some good thoughts on who to bring in, and his variety of jobs can certainly benefit him when he's scouting for potential hirees.

WYOBISONMAN
12-15-2013, 09:20 PM
OPPS! Sorry didn't see purple font!......I cant be color blind!

But.....you were correct despite not seeing the purple font.

ZHerd
12-15-2013, 09:32 PM
On other threads I have seen fans wondering about the wisdom of pursuing Salmon as OC and wishing Vigen could stay. I was thinking back several years when fans were consistently complaining about Vigen for being too vanilla, predictable, uncreative etc. but look what his offense has become with a good qb at the helm. So much of it boils down to personnel. I havnt looked at UNI's past offensive numbers but they played well vs a Big 12 defense and against ours. Recruit well and our offense will continue to shine.

heckler
12-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Folks have speculated on both Burns and Cooper remaining but both of them are going with Bohl. The only two coaches whose names I haven't seen mentioned are Goeser and Fuchs, and either of those two could still possibly be leaving. I think the Salmon connection with Klieman from UNI is a good one - that offense has had some crazy weapons the last few years, and I'm guessing that as a former quarterback for the Panthers he's had some impact on the positive progressions of Tirrell Rennie and Sawyer Kollmorgen over the past four seasons. Salmon has been at UNI for 27 years, so he obviously knows league defenses and despite this year's Panther squad's pedestrian offensive numbers, he's had some success there and I have to attribute his remainder as a sign of his affinity for the UNI program. Injuries played a ton into UNI's struggles this year - look no further than how they played against us and you know they had/have some legit weapons on offense.

Here's Salmon's page on UNI's website (http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=626870&SPID=90703&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=26200&ATCLID=205206081&Q_SEASON=2013), for those interested.

Elsewhere, wouldn't be surprised if a staffer or two from WIU defected here given Klieman's past work at that university. Also wouldn't be surprised if we get a name or two that no one on here knows anything about from Klieman's D-III connections or elsewhere. I trust that he'll have some good thoughts on who to bring in, and his variety of jobs can certainly benefit him when he's scouting for potential hirees.

And has under preformed. UNI fans would be ecstatic to get rid of him.

GOBISON123
12-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Anybody who is a master of Tampa 2 Defense and West Coast Offense, should be a candidate.

Bison Champions
12-15-2013, 10:31 PM

Post of the freaking decade right here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you want to run the ball when it's 3rd and 12 he is your man, if you want to run a reverse when it's 4th and goal at the 1 he is your man, PLEASE take him Chris Klieman PLEASE take him.

Bison"FANatic"
12-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Breske?????

i will come to Wyoming and kick you square in the balls if you repeat that even if it is in purple:biggrin:;);)

BlueBisonRock
12-15-2013, 11:11 PM
i will come to Wyoming and kick you square in the balls if you repeat that even if it is in purple:biggrin:;);)

Roadtrip!

http://filmfork-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/content/animalhouse_inline.jpg

Bison"FANatic"
12-15-2013, 11:13 PM

THIS^^^^^^

The don't seem to be west coast and more of try to run a spread maybe with a quarterback who runs but can't throw but wait now we are going to try to be west coast with kollmorgan that worked great for a year but let's bring in a dual threat mainly running transfer and try something else.

We are who we are and a schizophrenic scheme should not be it. The most important hire for coach k is going to be the O coordinator and I hope he takes his time and gets the correct guy in for our system the last few years and keeps it rolling.

BlueBisonRock
12-15-2013, 11:19 PM
I don't see Salmon. He is nearing retirement age, a former player and lifer at UNI, has been a coordinator at Kansas, and would be looking at a lateral. The only way I see him leaving UNI is if the pay scale is so horrible that Muss would refuse to apply with them. Of course, Coach K did make that move and it worked out for him. Getting away from Farley may be enough incentive to toss the rest into the wind.

Ward on the other hand deserves consideration. My question for him: Does the move add any value to his career path plans?

td577
12-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Brett Favre for OC. There probably no one on the planet that knows the WCO better.

He was OC for a high school team that just won its first state title in school history.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Jay
12-15-2013, 11:30 PM
This confirms what we already knew...

Molly Vigen ‏@MoVigs (https://twitter.com/MoVigs)44m (https://twitter.com/MoVigs/status/412367712174620673)
So proud of @bvigen (https://twitter.com/bvigen)...21 yrs of his life dedicated to #BisoNation (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BisoNation&src=hash)..next up big things @ WYO w Coach Bohl. But 1st.....a 3-peat w our Bison!

unbison
12-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Joe Montana Steve young just to name a few that know the west coast offense better or is burns still alive .... What a silly statement that farce may know the west coast offense better then anyone

td577
12-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Joe Montana Steve young just to name a few that know the west coast offense better or is burns still alive .... What a silly statement that farce may know the west coast offense better then anyone

Silly statement? I don't even like Favre but there is no denying he completely schooled the Vikings 2009 on how to run the WCO.

bkit29
12-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Guy that sits next to my wife and I is good friends with coach fuchs relative. He was told Fuchs is on his way to WY with Bohl.

X-Factor
12-15-2013, 11:41 PM

But according to UNI fans, Farley runs the offense..along with the defense, special teams, and all positions

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bison"FANatic"
12-15-2013, 11:44 PM
But according to UNI fans, Farley runs the offense..along with the defense, special teams, and all positions

And that is the biggest thing I hope Coach k learned there and that is to not micromanage and trust your staff to coach and then let them.

gotts
12-15-2013, 11:44 PM

into the ground?

Bisonguy
12-15-2013, 11:57 PM
And that is the biggest thing I hope Coach k learned there and that is to not micromanage and trust your staff to coach and then let them.

Pretty sure that's why he left and didn't list Farley as someone that he learned much from.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

X-Factor
12-15-2013, 11:58 PM
into the ground?

Touché

westnodak93bison
12-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Polacek for OC. He would be great IMHO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

WFBisonFan
12-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Fuchs is gone for sure......found that out this weekend from a friend of the family. Vigen obviously gone as well. Wouldn't surprise me if Jim Kramer, the strength coach goes as well. That, too, would be a big loss.

BisonCardinal
12-16-2013, 12:34 AM
Fuchs is gone for sure......found that out this weekend from a friend of the family. Vigen obviously gone as well. Wouldn't surprise me if Jim Kramer, the strength coach goes as well. That, too, would be a big loss.

Isn't Kramer strength and conditioning for the whole NDSU sports dept.? He is very good and a big loss but surely he had some assistants that learned his techniques and will carry on our reputation of a well-conditioned team.

StL Bison Fan
12-16-2013, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=Bisonguy;810473]Pretty sure that's why he left and didn't list Farley as someone that he learned much from.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I am sure he learned a lot from Farley. But he seems like a guy who follows the rule about if you can't say anything nice...

A1pigskin
12-16-2013, 12:40 AM
What about Kevin Feeney? Maybe assistant to the OC?

DIBISON
12-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Brian Ward of Western Illinois for defensive coordinator. He was with the Bison a couple of years ago. He is a star in the making.
If Conor Riley does not go to Wyoming could he move from current rb/te coach and replace Fuchs as the O Line coach?

56BISON73
12-16-2013, 02:06 AM
[QUOTE=Bisonguy;810473]Pretty sure that's why he left and didn't list Farley as someone that he learned much from.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I am sure he learned a lot from Farley. But he seems like a guy who follows the rule about if you can't say anything nice...

Farley has been very successful at UNI as a head coach. I am sure he learned a lot as Farley was actually the DC even though it was a co-title.. As he said hes taken things away from every coach he has been associated with.

MAKBison
12-16-2013, 02:33 AM
QB or receivers coach and local recruiter

What about Kevin Feeney? Maybe assistant to the OC?

Professor Chaos
12-16-2013, 02:49 AM

Agreed.

My wishful thinking prediction is Polasek at OC and Stanard at DC.

56BISON73
12-16-2013, 02:49 AM
Guy that sits next to my wife and I is good friends with coach fuchs relative. He was told Fuchs is on his way to WY with Bohl.

Well Ive got a guy who sits behind me at the games. He said his neighbor who is somehow related to Vigen said that they dont know if hes going to WY but would eventually end up on Coach Bradleys staff. You heard it hear first. Oh I am not kidding either.

HerdBot
12-16-2013, 02:51 AM

That would be flippin amazing unless Hazelton wants to move back home!

Bison Champions
12-16-2013, 03:08 AM
Well Ive got a guy who sits behind me at the games. He said his neighbor who is somehow related to Vigen said that they dont know if hes going to WY but would eventually end up on Coach Bradleys staff. You heard it hear first. Oh I am not kidding either.

It amazes me that all of you Bissssssssson fans make comments like this one. The my friends neighbors cousin sisters uncle's brother. Are all of these people fat too?

BisonTeacher
12-16-2013, 03:15 AM
It amazes me that all of you Bissssssssson fans make comments like this one. The my friends neighbors cousin sisters uncle's brother. Are all of these people fat too?

No fat people. Gabe says so.

My uncles brothers friends former college roommate says your just a troll and jealous we may be poaching some of your coaches. To quote Gully....#reloading

56BISON73
12-16-2013, 03:16 AM

Absolute fact. Thats what he said. And yes the guy is fat also.

Kermit
12-16-2013, 03:23 AM
Just wait til Chris ____man run your program into the ground...

I see what you did there, and we are sympathetic. PTSD is serious, but you can recover with time and help. Becoming a closet Bison fan is a big step in the right direction.

CalBison97
12-16-2013, 03:25 AM
Just wait til Chris 'Trojan Horse' Kleiman run your program into the ground while his old employer retakes their spot on top of the MVFC. He'll get fired after 5 dismal years and run back to UNI after a job well done. You heard it here first bitches.

The hopes and dreams of every UND fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

BisonTeacher
12-16-2013, 03:27 AM
Just wait til Chris 'Trojan Horse' Kleiman run your program into the ground while his old employer retakes their spot on top of the MVFC. He'll get fired after 5 dismal years and run back to UNI after a job well done. You heard it here first bitches.

Does your mom know your up this late?

#stayclassyjealous

Ndsu84
12-16-2013, 03:30 AM
I did hear yesterday that Vigen will be in Jacksonville

IBleedYellow
12-16-2013, 03:57 AM

Geaux_Sioux, you really should just go away.

GOBISON123
12-16-2013, 04:03 AM

Owner's Pride, Neighbors Envy.

Tatanka
12-16-2013, 04:23 AM
I see what you did there, and we are sympathetic. PTSD is serious, but you can recover with time and help. Becoming a closet Bison fan is a big step in the right direction.

It is a long road to recovery, especially when you have had to not only witness but rationalize the clusterf*** that is un_ football. Further trauma occurs when you realize that its not just FUBAR, it's a full on SNAFU.

Fortunately, someone saw fit to pave that road, and make it a limited access highway. Take i29 south about 75 miles and we'll take it from there.

There is still good in you, I can sense it.

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

ZHerd
12-16-2013, 04:36 AM

Kinda a confused Trojan horse to help us win 2 championships with a great defense. Ya know life might just be happier for you if you just ditched the dweebs up north...you could take the paper sack off of your head.

KilldeerBison
12-16-2013, 04:43 AM

The butthurt is great in pooh land, Ha Ha.... And, the BigUndies coming to a Bison Football thread giving lectures about being "dismal"? Classic pooh strategy, but I must admit that a UN__ football crony should know "dismal" when she sees it, score one point for the BigUndies.

DjKyRo
12-16-2013, 05:33 AM
I did hear yesterday that Vigen will be in Jacksonville

If that's true then good for him, but man...I have a hard time believing that Vigen is bound for an NFL job. He's had two good seasons and one decent one in an otherwise 21-year stint with NDSU, and I attribute a lot of that to him getting in players that he was able to craft his offense around for 4-5 years. Were he not leaving I'd be really interested in seeing him work with players next year that haven't started for 1-2 seasons already and see what he does, but we won't get that opportunity.

BFKasper14
12-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Ok this could be a really stupid remark, but has Steve Laqua been mentioned at all? Head coach at MSUM and played for NDSU in the past. Very good leader and coach.
I think he actually coached a little too at NDSU as a grad assistant. I could be wrong though.

HerdBot
12-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Now that Farleys mole is in charge you guys are at his mercy.

3 weeks ago all you UND Homers were throwing out Klieman and Vigen as the #1 candidates.... :rofl::rofl:
then we get him and suddenly he suck! :rofl: buthurt

HerdBot
12-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Really stupid remark is an understatement.

How about East Grand Forks high school coach? He has a pipeline to EGF

BFKasper14
12-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Really stupid remark is an understatement.

Yeah, knew I'd get blasted.
Probably deserved it.
Just thought maybe with the connections to NDSU and his experience with coaching (granted he's only been over at MSUM for 3 years?), he might make a good assistant. Conducts himself exactly like Bohl does. Maybe in the future.

gumby013
12-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Rich Ellerson is now available...

BisonTeacher
12-16-2013, 10:50 AM
geaux_sioux, you really should just geaux away.

fify......

ZHerd
12-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Yeah, knew I'd get blasted.
Probably deserved it.
Just thought maybe with the connections to NDSU and his experience with coaching (granted he's only been over at MSUM for 3 years?), he might make a good assistant. Conducts himself exactly like Bohl does. Maybe in the future.

That actually wasn't a stupid question. That would really be no different than an FBS school asking and fcs head coach to be a coordinator. Kliesman's highest attainment as a hc was at a D3 school. I don't know anything about the msum coach though, sorry.

BFKasper14
12-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Over-reaction on Gabes part. That actually wasn't a stupid question. That would really be no different than an FBS school asking and fcs head coach to be a coordinator. Kliesman's highest attainment as a hc was at a D3 school. I don't know anything about the msum coach though, sorry.

Laqua played football for 4 years at NDSU (1997-2001) and was the runningback coach for Bohl for two years, but retired from coaching because he wanted to spend time with his family. He then accepted the head coaching job at Shanley High School and led our team to 3 state championships. He then stepped down to be the head coach at MSUM.
I had him as a teacher for a leadership class. By far my favorite teacher. He conducts himself exactly like Bohl, talks exactly like him, and is devoted to every team he coaches 100%. It's awesome seeing his tweets during the season. That MSUM team has a very good coach and has already improved in the last few years.

perthbison
12-16-2013, 11:42 AM
The hopes and dreams of every UND fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)not all of them. Some are becoming closet Bizon fans and their elementary age kids are asking for bizon shirts for christmas.

BisonTeacher
12-16-2013, 12:06 PM
not all of them. Some are becoming closet Bizon fans and their elementary age kids are asking for bizon shirts for christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMKLeC2_o5A&safe=active

bisoningrandforks
12-16-2013, 12:57 PM
my 2 cents..........Brian Ward... D-coordinator
Goeser.....d-line coach
Conner Riley.....off-line coach
off-coordinator......(anybody NOT on uni's staff)
the rest of the positions who knows.........and.............cant wait for Friday!

loudsilverado
12-16-2013, 01:22 PM
We were sitting next to a guy who's wife is 3rd cousins to a gal who worked with a relative of Fuch's garbage man who knew his mail man who said he is going to Wyoming.

BisonNation11
12-16-2013, 01:30 PM
I sat with myself and said to myself, I says, "Self, we're staying." Wanted to break the news on here. You're welcome

NDSU1980
12-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Kinda a confused Trojan horse to help us win 2 championships with a great defense. Ya know life might just be happier for you if you just ditched the dweebs up north...you could take the paper sack off of your head.
Look like geaux_bigund deleted his posts from last night. Awww, did we hurt his little feelings?

NorthernBison
12-16-2013, 01:34 PM
We were sitting next to a guy who's wife is 3rd cousins to a gal who worked with a relative of Fuch's garbage man who knew his mail man who said he is going to Wyoming.

I know you're having some fun with this but there actually ARE reliable sources of information out there. Kids go to school and tell their teachers and classmates that they are moving. Parent's of coaches tell their close friends that their son is moving. Things like that are pretty reliable.

Clearly, Gene, CB, and CK know who is going and who is staying and who is yet undecided. I think they are putting that aside to prepare for Friday. Hopefully, the undecided will have a few weeks to think about it before Frisco and WE will all get word sometime shortly after that.

WYOBISONMAN
12-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Look like geaux_bigund deleted his posts from last night. Awww, did we hurt his little feelings?

I deleted them.........getting tired of his trolling.

BisonNeil
12-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Goeser.....d-line coach
the rest of the positions who knows.........and.............cant wait for Friday!

Goeser is already the DT coach. NDSU doesn't use a single DL coach, the DTs and DEs are split up coaching wise, Cooper does the DE's, so I am not sure what you are saying there.

Riley could be the OL coach, that was what he coached at Sac State, but that leaves the RB/TE coaching position open, as well as the WR position.

Somebody wants Stannard as LB coach, he is also one that is known to be leaving for WY with Bohl. So, NDSU does need a LB coach.

By my count after talking to various people close to the program, Riley, Goeser, and Cooper, along with Richardson and Haug who are part-time/GAs(?) are all applying for positions. There is no guarantee any of them will retain their jobs. Richardson seems the odd guy out only because he was a DB and Klieman will likely continue working with the DBs, however, may take a Bohl-type role and work with kickers, who knows. If that happens Richardson would seem like a natural. Haug worked with RBs and could fit into Riley's position if he got the OL coaching job.

Regardless, the coaching staff will be eviscerated which has to effect recruiting simply in that there are not enough bodies to get it all done and Burns is the recruiting coordinator and that is much more important than most here give credit for.

HerdBot
12-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Goeser.....d-line coach

That would be a pretty seamless transition if you ask me. Ward is really good! Goeser and Riley are very good at what they do. Goeser is a stud. Riley is a Midwest guy from Nebraska with a ton of experience. Both are excellent recruiters too! Goeser was the guy who recruited Wisconsin last year. I think Riley recruits Nebraska

Herd12
12-16-2013, 02:33 PM
I will say this: the fact that we were able to get 13 verbals (if we retain them) is really a best case scenario for the situation we are in. Klieman has to toe a very fine line between making rash decisions as it pertains to his staff and getting one in place fast enough to recruit. The beautiful thing is that we only need to get 12 or 13 more kids between now and signing day. Coach K doesn't have to throw together a staff so that there are enough bodies to recruit because if he can solidify the current class (on twitter it looks like they are solidifying themselves) there aren't that many more commitments they need to go out and get.

BisonNation11
12-16-2013, 02:42 PM
I will say this: the fact that we were able to get 13 verbals (if we retain them) is really a best case scenario for the situation we are in. Klieman has to toe a very fine line between making rash decisions as it pertains to his staff and getting one in place fast enough to recruit. The beautiful thing is that we only need to get 12 or 13 more kids between now and signing day. Coach K doesn't have to throw together a staff so that there are enough bodies to recruit because if he can solidify the current class (on twitter it looks like they are solidifying themselves) there aren't that many more commitments they need to go out and get.

Do they really need to use up all the schollies we have left on this recruiting class? Can't they hold on to some or use them up on kids that are already in the system so we don't end up with a huge class like this again?

Grizzled
12-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Goeser is already the DT coach. NDSU doesn't use a single DL coach, the DTs and DEs are split up coaching wise, Cooper does the DE's, so I am not sure what you are saying there.

Riley could be the OL coach, that was what he coached at Sac State, but that leaves the RB/TE coaching position open, as well as the WR position.

Somebody wants Stannard as LB coach, he is also one that is known to be leaving for WY with Bohl. So, NDSU does need a LB coach.

By my count after talking to various people close to the program, Riley, Goeser, and Cooper, along with Richardson and Haug who are part-time/GAs(?) are all applying for positions. There is no guarantee any of them will retain their jobs. Richardson seems the odd guy out only because he was a DB and Klieman will likely continue working with the DBs, however, may take a Bohl-type role and work with kickers, who knows. If that happens Richardson would seem like a natural. Haug worked with RBs and could fit into Riley's position if he got the OL coaching job.

Regardless, the coaching staff will be eviscerated which has to effect recruiting simply in that there are not enough bodies to get it all done and Burns is the recruiting coordinator and that is much more important than most here give credit for.

I had heard that Cooper is applying for a position at Wyoming as well. He was originally kind of the odd man out but there may be some reconsideration. In the end I think he stays here but I don't think he's a sure thing.

HerdBot
12-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Do they really need to use up all the schollies we have left on this recruiting class? Can't they hold on to some or use them up on kids that are already in the system so we don't end up with a huge class like this again?

That's why some classes have more players play as true freshman. Balances out the numbers. Going forward we look to have some good balance. Tucker and DeLuca were physically ready and we had a need so we played them.

Herd12
12-16-2013, 02:50 PM

Oh they absolutely do not need to. It was assumed that the staff would like to have used a lot of the scholarships considering the momentum that the program has and the level of recruits we are currently getting commitments from (Stick, Collins) and the size of the current senior class. I would have no problem, and I don't think anyone else would have a huge problem if the staff only issued 22 or 23 scholarships with this class, and went with PWOs the rest of the way. Then Coach K can start to recruit the kids that he wants, though I hope he doesn't differ from the status quo too much, seems to be working.

Mr. Burgundy
12-16-2013, 04:41 PM

Richardson is a full time coach with benefits. That is about the only thing I would disagree with your very good post BN. I think Haug is an up and comer and really proved his worth in the last year. He is highly thought of. I thought Coop was gone for sure. He is a recruiting star and a good leader, has a great story to sell to kids.

Alot of options for Chris to figure out, I just hope that we don't have to be all tied to NDSU in order for them to be considered a good coach. Change is and can be very good. Chris is very connected with all of his years in the Mo Valley. People want to work for NDSU, that isn't always the case. The program sells itself.

NorthernBison
12-16-2013, 05:10 PM
That's why some classes have more players play as true freshman. Balances out the numbers. Going forward we look to have some good balance. Tucker and DeLuca were physically ready and we had a need so we played them.

It's always that way. We signed 27 guys in 2010 (Theoretically, the current Juniors). Michael Murphy, Grant Olson, Ryan Smith, and Billy Turner were all in that class and played right away. I'm thinking Heagle would be in his last season of eligibility if he hadn't gotten hurt at CSU as he was in that same recruiting class.

bisonsupporter
12-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Curious to see if Grant Olson would have a spot somewhere in the Bison coaching staff?

Kermit
12-16-2013, 05:26 PM
It's always that way. We signed 27 guys in 2010 (Theoretically, the current Juniors). Michael Murphy, Grant Olson, Ryan Smith, and Billy Turner were all in that class and played right away. I'm thinking Heagle would be in his last season of eligibility if he hadn't gotten hurt at CSU as he was in that same recruiting class.

Jesse Hinz was also a member of that class who played right away. Hinz, like Heagle, gained an extra year because of a medical hardship due to injury last season.

Kermit
12-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Curious to see if Grant Olson would have a spot somewhere in the Bison coaching staff?

Olson has said he will still be working on his degree next fall. He undoubtedly would have an opportunity to be a student assistant coach.

westnodak93bison
12-16-2013, 06:31 PM
IMHO, the OC position is the biggest challenge. If I were CK I'd find someone willing to come in and keep the existing playbook. It has been pretty damn effective. Plenty diverse.
Still think Polacek would be great. How does position coach compensation at NIU compare to what we can pay as OC?

cracker
12-16-2013, 06:52 PM
IMHO, the OC position is the biggest challenge. If I were CK I'd find someone willing to come in and keep the existing playbook. It has been pretty damn effective. Plenty diverse.
Still think Polacek would be great. How does position coach compensation at NIU compare to what we can pay as OC?

According to Football Scoop:

http://www.footballscoop.com/news/10270-examining-coaching-salaries-in-the-mac

Kermit
12-16-2013, 06:57 PM
According to Football Scoop:

http://www.footballscoop.com/news/10270-examining-coaching-salaries-in-the-mac

So, looking at that list, Polasek might be in the neighborhood of $80,000. We can likely afford him.

Herd12
12-16-2013, 06:59 PM
We can say with some certainty that Polasek makes $94,245 or less. I would hope that NDSU can offer an offensive coordinator more scratch than that. The question is whether or not Klieman has interested in Coach P and whether or not Coach P wants to come back to NDSU.

HerdBot
12-16-2013, 07:23 PM
So, looking at that list, Polasek might be in the neighborhood of $80,000. We can likely afford him.

Nystrom makes 95k to coach linebackers and special teams. For you youngsters he was an assistant and linebacker coach here through 08
He's a Michigan guy though so may be tough to nab him. He certainly could be a good DC. So would Stanard but I would assume Bohl will consider him as a DC and probably has more cash to throw at him

westnodak93bison
12-17-2013, 02:59 AM
Anyone else concerned about finding an OC that has experience running our style of offense?

td577
12-17-2013, 04:08 AM
Anyone else concerned about finding an OC that has experience running our style of offense?

I think you can hire someone of a similar philosophy but maybe a different way of getting there. Our style is how Vigen evolved from purely a WCO to this hybrid of Erhardt/Perkins offense that the Patriots run and WCO. That is what it seems to me. Smashmouth football with a dink and dunk passing attack that attacks seams and eats time.

I think there are a lot of coaches who would share the philosophy that they want to eat time and have a balanced attack. Also, it should be important you let you personnel drive the play calling and not the other way around. They will find someone with that belief system but maybe a little different way of going about it.

By the way, Bill Musgrave might be looking for an OC job next year. His style would fit perfectly here.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk 4

SafeTeeJ
12-17-2013, 04:10 AM
offense will evolve. start with defense. we don't lose if they don't score

Mayville Bison
12-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Call me crazy, but I could see someone bringing in a spread offense with our returning players.

Wentz is much more of a spread QB than Jensen is
Losing Grothman (yes I know there are other FBs on the team)
Tons of talent at WR coming up

Don't get me wrong - I'd rather have any other offense than the spread, but wouldn't be surprised to see some variation of it in spring ball.

HerdBot
12-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Call me crazy, but I could see someone bringing in a spread offense with our returning players.

Don't get me wrong - I'd rather have any other offense than the spread, but wouldn't be surprised to see some variation of it in spring ball.

Adding an element of the spread wouldn't be too bad but completely revamping the offense would be an epic mistake. We're a TOP team and the spread would hurt that. Every team sees the spread so it's easy to prepare for. Nobody sees the West Coast so it's a real challenge on a short week, much like the veer used to be back in the day.

BisonNation11
12-17-2013, 01:44 PM

Klieman said it himself that the best defense is an offense that spends a ton of time on the field. I highly doubt he's going to change that just because you have talented kids at skill positions. All that does is open up the playbook a little more once the offense gets a feel for itself and a confidence about itself. I'd be willing to bet we don't see much change.

mgbison
12-17-2013, 01:44 PM
If we are going to bring Nystrom back, lets bring Breske back also. We'd have the worst defense in the conference. There is a reason we had a lot of coaches leave after the 07 season, and I hope a few of them never come back.

mgbison
12-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Polasek would be an awesome hire.

HerdBot
12-17-2013, 02:04 PM
I think you can hire someone of a similar philosophy but maybe a different way of getting there. Our style is how Vigen evolved from purely a WCO to this hybrid of Erhardt/Perkins offense that the Patriots run and WCO. That is what it seems to me. Smashmouth football with a dink and dunk passing attack that attacks seams and eats time.

I think there are a lot of coaches who would share the philosophy that they want to eat time and have a balanced attack. Also, it should be important you let you personnel drive the play calling and not the other way around. They will find someone with that belief system but maybe a little different way of going about it.

By the way, Bill Musgrave might be looking for an OC job next year. His style would fit perfectly here.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk 4

Our offense reminds me of Green Bay actually. Power running. Short passes and long bombs. Great misdirection plays to set up stuff. Even throws in old school veer blocking. It's evolved into a thing of beauty

HerdBot
12-17-2013, 02:09 PM
If we are going to bring Nystrom back, lets bring Breske back also. We'd have the worst defense in the conference. There is a reason we had a lot of coaches leave after the 07 season, and I hope a few of them never come back.

We lost 1 coach after the '07 season and that was Moore who went to USC.
Breske was here in '09 after Garza left and he ruined the defense by going away from the Tampa 2 as well as suffering mega injuries and we lacked depth

Bison"FANatic"
12-17-2013, 02:25 PM
I wonder if Lance Leipold would be a fit here. Maybe he would have no desire to go back to being a coordinator though. He has dominated at Wisconsin-whitewater with a balanced offense and very tough D. No idea on a D3 coaches salary but you never know. The guy has been at Wisconsin, Nebraska an Nebraska Omaha and others so he has been around and has the Offensive pedigree that could compliment Coach K's defensive pedigree and with the head coaching experience with dominating style he must have the leadership quality we like to see.

Kermit
12-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Adding an element of the spread wouldn't be too bad but completely revamping the offense would be an epic mistake. We're a TOP team and the spread would hurt that. Every team sees the spread so it's easy to prepare for. Nobody sees the West Coast so it's a real challenge on a short week, much like the veer used to be back in the day.

Klieman has been clear that the basic philosophy will not change. We are going to run the ball and control the clock. That said, we already have elements of "the spread" in our offense. Our QB is often not under center. We have run a little read option, or at least a read option look. We've even seen an empty backfield a few times. I'm sure we will continue to see additions, tweaks, and twists that take advantage of personnel and match ups.

KansasBison
12-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Is the assumption that Vigen, Burns, Stanard, Fuchs and Cooper are gone to Wyoming with Bohl?

cracker
12-17-2013, 03:22 PM
I wonder if Lance Leipold would be a fit here. Maybe he would have no desire to go back to being a coordinator though. He has dominated at Wisconsin-whitewater with a balanced offense and very tough D. No idea on a D3 coaches salary but you never know. The guy has been at Wisconsin, Nebraska an Nebraska Omaha and others so he has been around and has the Offensive pedigree that could compliment Coach K's defensive pedigree and with the head coaching experience with dominating style he must have the leadership quality we like to see.

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/article/20130105/SHE019803/301050166/

All but one of the six-figure coaches worked at UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee or UW-Green Bay. The exception was the $100,000 salary for UW-Whitewater football coach Lance Leipold, whose teams played in the NCAA Division III national championship every year from 2005 to 2011, winning it four times.

Herd12
12-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Is the assumption that Vigen, Burns, Stanard, Fuchs and Cooper are gone to Wyoming with Bohl?

I would say only Coach Cooper is a question mark as far as that is concerned.

GOBISON123
12-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Wyoming Assistant Coaches Salary
---------------------------------------------

1. Chris Tormey, Defensive Coordinator: $165,000

2. Pete Kaligis, Co-Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs Coach: $145,008

3. Jim Harding, Co-Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach: $140,004

4. Robin Ross, Linebackers Coach: $125,004

5. Jamar Cain, Interim Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line Coach: $80,004

6. Derek Sage, Wide Receivers Coach: $79,008

7. Jason Gesser, Quarterbacks Coach: $79,008

8. Renaldo Hill, Cornerbacks Coach: $62,004

9. Nick Danielson, Tight Ends Coach: $50,004

------------------------------------------------------------

Gene Taylor should raise the stakes.

http://trib.com/news/opinion/blogs/cowboys/wyoming-football-assistant-coaches-salary-breakdown/article_0d41ff28-bcc5-5293-b8f8-0d56468ce860.html

Bisonator98
12-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Wyoming Assistant Coaches Salary
---------------------------------------------

1. Chris Tormey, Defensive Coordinator: $165,000

2. Pete Kaligis, Co-Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs Coach: $145,008

3. Jim Harding, Co-Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach: $140,004

4. Robin Ross, Linebackers Coach: $125,004

5. Jamar Cain, Interim Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line Coach: $80,004

6. Derek Sage, Wide Receivers Coach: $79,008

7. Jason Gesser, Quarterbacks Coach: $79,008

8. Renaldo Hill, Cornerbacks Coach: $62,004

9. Nick Danielson, Tight Ends Coach: $50,004

------------------------------------------------------------

Gene Taylor should raise the stakes.

http://trib.com/news/opinion/blogs/cowboys/wyoming-football-assistant-coaches-salary-breakdown/article_0d41ff28-bcc5-5293-b8f8-0d56468ce860.html

That is pathetic.

G_Funky
12-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Isn't Kramer strength and conditioning for the whole NDSU sports dept.? He is very good and a big loss but surely he had some assistants that learned his techniques and will carry on our reputation of a well-conditioned team.

I assure you, regardless of what the assistants have learned, there will be no replacing Jim Kramer. Period.

KansasBison
12-17-2013, 07:19 PM
I believe they are adding nearly $200,000 more to that budget for next year but that still makes them one of the worst paid staffs as a whole in the MWC.

HerdBot
12-17-2013, 07:34 PM

All we can do is wait. It was also an assumption that Klieman was going and we all know how that worked out. We know t hat Vigen is gone. Bummer but it is what it is. Probably a smart career move since he hasn't gotten out of the state. I would speculate...

Vigen (gone, basically confirmed)
Burns (gone)
Stanard - Unless Bohl keeps the old Wyoming DC on staff, he's probably gone and will be the D Coordinator. But one would think he would be a good candidate to be a DC here too. He was the DC at Tulane and knows the Tampa 2
Fuchs - I'm curious if he would be a candidate for our offensive coordinator? Is he ready to be a cordinator? It would be a nice raise over what he currently makes and he is an NDSU guy. I'm not sold he's gone yet but I am 100% sure Bohl offered him because he's an incredible oline coach.
Cooper - Not sure on AJ. Everyone likes him. My gut says he's gone but well see

If we can hold onto 1 of these guys I will be happy. If we can hold onto 2 of them I will do a back flip!

Herd12
12-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Is there any kind of solid confirmation on Coach Kramer leaving?

HerdBot
12-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Is there any kind of solid confirmation on Coach Kramer leaving?

He's a university employee, not part of the coaching staff so the university would have to fire their director of training (or whatever the exact title is) and hire kramer.

BadlandsBison
12-17-2013, 08:46 PM
All we can do is wait. It was also an assumption that Klieman was going and we all know how that worked out. We know t hat Vigen is gone. Bummer but it is what it is. Probably a smart career move since he hasn't gotten out of the state. I would speculate...

Burns (gone)
Stanard - Unless Bohl keeps the old Wyoming DC on staff, he's probably gone and will be the D Coordinator. But one would think he would be a good candidate to be a DC here too. He was the DC at Tulane and knows the Tampa 2
Fuchs - I'm curious if he would be a candidate for our offensive coordinator? Is he ready to be a cordinator? It would be a nice raise over what he currently makes and he is an NDSU guy. I'm not sold he's gone yet but I am 100% sure Bohl offered him because he's an incredible oline coach.
Cooper - Not sure on AJ. Everyone likes him. My gut says he's gone but well see

If we can hold onto 1 of these guys I will be happy. If we can hold onto 2 of them I will do a back flip!

I wonder if Bohl would reach out to Hazelton to be D coordinator. I saw somewhere Hazelton is under a multi year contract though

MAKBison
12-17-2013, 08:50 PM
I very much Doubt Kramer is going to WY....I know CB has some pull, but not at the expense of firing the current athletic cast in WY. I also do not see WY hiring a new cast of athletic trainers just for the FB team. This is not Texas or Bama, its WY.

I assure you, regardless of what the assistants have learned, there will be no replacing Jim Kramer. Period.

G_Funky
12-17-2013, 08:51 PM
I mean I guess it would be a little foolish to not throw it out there, but I highly doubt Hazelton would leave a program like Nevada to take an equal position at Wyoming that, based on the numbers, probably pays far less than where he currently is. Not to mention Wyoming is trying to get where Nevada is...

MAKBison
12-17-2013, 08:53 PM
None!!!.................

is there any kind of solid confirmation on coach kramer leaving?

BadlandsBison
12-17-2013, 08:54 PM
I mean I guess it would be a little foolish to not throw it out there, but I highly doubt Hazelton would leave a program like Nevada to take an equal position at Wyoming that, based on the numbers, probably pays far less than where he currently is. Not to mention Wyoming is trying to get where Nevada is...

Yea its a reach, I think kolpack put it out there as speculation awhile ago via twitter. Pretty sure Hazeltons salary is around 160k

KansasBison
12-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Wyoming was paying more than what Hazelton was getting with their original DC before they fired him mid-season. The interim DC was getting paid peanuts. If Hazelton came on board there, bet he gets paid around $200,000. I bet in the end Stanard will be their DC.

Bison"FANatic"
12-18-2013, 12:38 AM
I very much Doubt Kramer is going to WY....I know CB has some pull, but not at the expense of firing the current athletic cast in WY. I also do not see WY hiring a new cast of athletic trainers just for the FB team. This is not Texas or Bama, its WY.

and the guy WY has now has been there for years is a Wyoming grad and has pack 12 experience I believe

Jay
12-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Cooper Will Be Going To Wyoming.

KansasBison
12-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Interesting. So it is apparent Vigen, Stanard, Burns, Fuchs and Cooper are going. Hopefully no one else.

Jay
12-19-2013, 02:49 AM
Wake Forest: A source tells CoachingSearch.com that Dave Clawson has spoken with North Dakota State wide receivers coach / recruiting coordinator Kenni Burns, but Burns could be headed to Wyoming with Craig Bohl.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

bisonfanette
12-19-2013, 03:38 AM
Perhaps someone mentioned this (I didn't read back.) Coach Klieman will be at the Team Makers Luncheon tomorrow! All of you lucky ppl who can be there, are just that... lucky!

56BISON73
12-19-2013, 04:06 AM
Perhaps someone mentioned this (I didn't read back.) Coach Klieman will be at the Team Makers Luncheon tomorrow! All of you lucky ppl who can be there, are just that... lucky!

Havent heard anything official. Its mainly assumed he will be addressing TM tomorrow.

bisonfanette
12-19-2013, 04:35 AM
I've got an email from Helena... & it says annual meeting followed by 4 coaches, including football coach Klieman! :)

DjKyRo
12-19-2013, 05:24 AM

How many times do I have to post that Vigen to Wyoming is CONFIRMED, not BASICALLY CONFIRMED or KIND OF CONFIRMED? Did the whole bandwagon fiasco damage my credibility that much?

MAKBison
12-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Where is the TM lunchean tomorrow?

bisonfanette
12-19-2013, 06:41 AM
Where is the TM lunchean tomorrow?

Cking.... email... deleted it... cking again... Doublewood Inn @ 11:30. Program at 12N. Wish I lived in Fgo!

DORMIE
12-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Teammakers is at the Doublewood Inn today, lunch being served at 11:30.

westnodak93bison
12-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Could someone take some notes and post a summary?

coloradobison
12-19-2013, 04:05 PM

Just video that thing for bootlegging! Probably not expecting another speech for the ages from Coach Bohl though.

Herd12
12-19-2013, 04:08 PM

+1

10 Char...

roadwarrior
12-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Klieman says Kramer will be staying at NDSU.

imabison
12-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Great for NDSU...

BisonNation11
12-19-2013, 06:18 PM
(In Cartman voice) Sweeeeet

Siouxfallsbison
12-19-2013, 06:22 PM

That is awesome news! Big reason for this great run. Players will be pumped.........no pun intended.........

westnodak93bison
12-19-2013, 06:27 PM

Whooo whooo!

Bisonfan1
12-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Thank goodness ! :group:

daddy daycare
12-19-2013, 06:37 PM
sonofabitch that is great news

Bison"FANatic"
12-19-2013, 06:49 PM
That announcement was very well received today. The great thing is Kramer is the only coach that players can have major contact with until spring ball and it is going to bring a huge amount of continuity to the transition to Coach K. This is bigger than most nonbisonville and ndsu rubes understand. It will help solidify the PROGRAM THE PROGRAM THE PROGRAM!!!!!!!

KansasBison
12-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Did he say anything about the possible 5-6 assistants going to Wyoming? Great news on Coach Kramer!

td577
12-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Did he say anything about the possible 5-6 assistants going to Wyoming? Great news on Coach Kramer!

He basically said there is no news about anyone else and that won't shake out until after the season.

BismarckBisonFan
12-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!

AjaxTheMighty
12-20-2013, 01:13 AM
Has anyone heard a rumor about Vigen going to Jacksonville with Coach Bradley? I heard this a few days ago.

HerdBot
12-20-2013, 02:15 AM
Has anyone heard a rumor about Vigen going to Jacksonville with Coach Bradley? I heard this a few days ago.

I heard it too and it was mentioned by a credible person so I tend to believe it

Ndsu84
12-20-2013, 02:48 AM
I heard Vigen to Jacksonville, last week. Any truth? That would be fun to watch...even if in London...Maybe we could get the Vikes to London so we don't have to suffer anymore.

daddy daycare
12-20-2013, 02:52 AM
His wife has tweeting about heading to WY.

Mr_Meanor
12-20-2013, 03:01 AM

I read a Reusse article where Bohl is quoted saying this: “Once we get out there, things will be hectic. Six on our staff of nine are going with me. I’m very happy that Brent Vigen, our offensive coordinator and an exceptional recruiter, will be with us. He’s probably had more to do with our success at NDSU then anyone.”

bri-dog
12-20-2013, 03:09 AM
I may be wrong, but the way I read prior posts about Vigen was that he would like to EVENTUALLY get somewhere like Jacksonville, and that a FBS coordinator would be a better stepping stone than staying FCS...

CAS4127
12-20-2013, 03:40 AM
I might be wrong, but Vigen just does not have what it takes to be successful in NFL or FBS. He got lucky with a class that just would not take a loss. We will see soon enough. He was interviewed for HC position here and didn't get the offer over Klieman. Jussayin'!

Herd12
12-20-2013, 03:40 AM
I read a Reusse article where Bohl is quoted saying this: “Once we get out there, things will be hectic. Six on our staff of nine are going with me. I’m very happy that Brent Vigen, our offensive coordinator and an exceptional recruiter, will be with us. He’s probably had more to do with our success at NDSU then anyone.”

If this is accurate, then the coaches left behind are Riley, Goeser, Klieman and Kramer. Everyone else is gone.

Ndsu84
12-20-2013, 03:43 AM
I might be wrong, but Vigen just does not have what it takes to be successful in NFL or FBS. He got lucky with a class that just would not take a loss. We will see soon enough. He was interviewed for HC position here and didn't get the offer over Klieman. Jussayin'!

This ^^^^

MAKBison
12-20-2013, 03:47 AM
Here is the official list of the 2013 staff. I would assume its the 9 actual coaches to include CB so yes. Kramer remaining as a University employee (with a retirement package) Of course Kramer and Coach CK are the only confirmed

Craig Bohl Head Coach
Brent Vigen Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Chris Klieman Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs
Kenni Burns Recruiting Coordinator/Wide Receivers Coach
AJ Cooper Defensive Ends Coach
Scott Fuchs Offensive Line Coach
Nick Goeser Defensive Tackles Coach
Conor Riley Tight Ends / Running Backs
Steve Stanard Linebackers Coach
Gordie Haug Offensive Assistant
John Richardson Defensive Assistant
Jake Chapman Video Coordinator

If this is accurate, then the coaches left behind are Riley, Goeser, Klieman and Kramer. Everyone else is gone.

Kermit
12-20-2013, 04:47 AM

I was pretty close. $80,004. ;)
http://www.huskiewire.com/blogs/entries/2013/12/11/99897547/index.xml

MAKBison
12-20-2013, 05:35 AM
What position are you thinking Kermit---OC?

I was pretty close. $80,004. ;)
http://www.huskiewire.com/blogs/entries/2013/12/11/99897547/index.xml

ndsubison1
12-20-2013, 05:44 AM
if vigen is going to Jacksonville then i am in line for our OC position

DjKyRo
12-20-2013, 05:50 AM
The last time I made a wager on what I would do if a coaching change I didn't suspect would happen...well, it didn't end great. Suffice it to say that I'm going to keep my mouth shut on this kind of thing.

As an aside, what UND rubes think Mussman would ever get hired here? Really?

SlickVic
12-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Will garza d coridinantor I owe him a couple 13 14 hienikins and Reggie Moore o coordinator them 2 were great people and I me an it

unbison
12-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Hey slic when u hitting a game?

KansasBison
12-20-2013, 12:48 PM
If it is indeed six that are following Bohl, then it is probably Vigen, Stanard, Burns, Cooper, Fuchs and Goeser. Bohl retained the RB coach in Pete Kagilis, so no Riley.

gotts
12-20-2013, 01:16 PM
The last time I made a wager on what I would do if a coaching change I didn't suspect would happen...well, it didn't end great. Suffice it to say that I'm going to keep my mouth shut on this kind of thing.

As an aside, what UND rubes think Mussman would ever get hired here? Really?

seemed pretty tongue in cheek to me, unless there have been additional postings on it

Mr. Burgundy
12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Goesser is staying.

bisonmike2
12-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here. Nice article on Bohl. In it he mentions that 6 of the 9 coaches on staff are leaving.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/236660581.html

KansasBison
12-20-2013, 02:51 PM
So if Goeser is staying, who is probably the 6th assistant? With Bohl retaining Pete Kagilis on the Wyoming staff, one would assume that means no Riley since they coach the same position?

So if there are six going, who outside of Vigen, Stanard, Burns, Fuchs and Cooper left to go to make six?

56BISON73
12-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Will garza d coridinantor I owe him a couple 13 14 hienikins and Reggie Moore o coordinator them 2 were great people and I me an it

Which one slapped a guy at the HUB?

Bisonguy
12-20-2013, 03:07 PM
So if Goeser is staying, who is probably the 6th assistant? With Bohl retaining Pete Kagilis on the Wyoming staff, one would assume that means no Riley since they coach the same position?

So if there are six going, who outside of Vigen, Stanard, Burns, Fuchs and Cooper left to go to make six?

Chea, just cuz he is coaching RBs now doesn't mean he will when Bohl is the Big Boss Man at Wyo.

Retained coaches aren't always coaching the same position under a new regime.

Bisonator98
12-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Pretty sure Kagilis is gonna be gone once Bohl and company get there. He was simply kept for recruiting purposes right now. I would assume Riley is going with Bohl.

G_Funky
12-20-2013, 03:52 PM

lol I know WMG is at Pearl River Community College, or at least was...is Moore even coaching anymore?

KansasBison
12-20-2013, 04:22 PM
From what I was just told Kagilis is not a stop gap hire at Wyoming.

Bisonator98
12-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Really can't believe anything until the seasons over and the coaches are in place. There has been so much misinformation out there already that no one really knows who's going to be where at this point. Too much "I heard this" and "My kid's friends told me" and "A friend of a cousins sisters uncle".

MAKBison
12-20-2013, 04:39 PM
I read it as six in total form his staff to include CBohl. 6 in total, lines up with the early report that Bohl is taking 5 of his current coaches. This would leave three, which everyone seems to suggest are such.

Craig Bohl Head Coach

KansasBison
12-20-2013, 05:18 PM
That would make sense if Bohl is counting himself as one of the six.

Kermit
12-20-2013, 05:47 PM

My interpretation is that at the time of the conversation with Reusse, Bohl believed that 6 of 9 current NDSU assistants plan to go to Wyoming.

I read it as six in total form his staff to include CBohl. 6 in total, lines up with the early report that Bohl is taking 5 of his current coaches. This would leave three, which everyone seems to suggest are such.

Craig Bohl Head Coach

John Richardson is a fulltime assistant coach. I believe that Gordie Haug is actually a graduate assistant. Therefore, the 9 fulltime assistants are: 1) Klieman, 2) Goeser, 3) Cooper, 4) Stanard, 5) Richardson, 6) Vigen, 7) Fuchs, 8) Burns, and 9) Riley.

Klieman is obviously staying and the word is that Goeser is staying. Vigen is gone. I believe Cooper, Stanard, Fuchs, and Burns are gone. That leaves Richardson and Riley. I suspect that Bohl was counting at least one of those two in his "6 of 9."

overquota
12-20-2013, 05:50 PM

Craig Bohl Head Coach

As bad as it could have been, I am ok with this list, only the O Line coach gets me worried.

DORMIE
12-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Guess some of the wives are not too happy about the move. Is Bohl picking up Hazelton? If so, I heard that Coach K is trying to retain Stanard as the DC.

aces1180
12-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Guess some of the wives are not too happy about the move. Is Bohl picking up Hazelton? If so, I heard that Coach K is trying to retain Stanard as the DC.

I could see this being an issue...I heard someone say the closest Target is about 45 miles away in Cheyenne...I know my wife would be none to please about that.

Bisonator98
12-20-2013, 06:49 PM
As bad as it could have been, I am ok with this list, only the O Line coach gets me worried.

Riley used to be an O-line coach. When he was O-line coach for Sac State they only gave up like 7 sacks one year I believe.

GOBISON123
12-20-2013, 07:29 PM
I could see this being an issue...I heard someone say the closest Target is about 45 miles away in Cheyenne...I know my wife would be none to please about that.

I guess Bohl got himself a good deal with a private plane part as a part of the deal, so it dosent matter, he can fly wherever to get a box of chocolates and roses for his woman ;), this is not possible for the assistants who are going with him :(

MAKBison
12-20-2013, 07:44 PM
its been some years since I have been to Laramie, but as a kid I used to go there ever year (was actually almost a cowboy). Anyways, the best way to describe it is to compare it to Moorhead. It is a nice little college town, not a paint your house the school colors type of college town, but most of the residents are employed directly by or feed off the university. BTW, its definitely not a place a wife would like, at least not mine.....her exact words were ...who would want to live there. Not exactly a lot going on their.. Coaches need to remember Happy wife, happy life! :-)

I guess Bohl got himself a good deal with a private plane part as a part of the deal, so it dosent matter, he can fly wherever to get a box of chocolates and roses for his woman ;), this is not possible for the assistants who are going with him :(

Bisonator98
12-20-2013, 07:56 PM
its been some years since I have been to Laramie, but as a kid I used to go there ever year (was actually almost a cowboy). Anyways, the best way to describe it is to compare it to Moorhead. It is a nice little college town, not a paint your house the school colors type of college town, but most of the residents are employed directly by or feed off the university. BTW, its definitely not a place a wife would like, at least not mine.....here exact words were ...who would want to live there. Not exactly a lot going on their.. Coaches need to remember Happy wife, happy life! :-)

Pretty sure they are hoping they only have to stick it out for a few years.

Mayville Bison
12-20-2013, 08:33 PM
its been some years since I have been to Laramie, but as a kid I used to go there ever year (was actually almost a cowboy). Anyways, the best way to describe it is to compare it to Moorhead. It is a nice little college town, not a paint your house the school colors type of college town, but most of the residents are employed directly by or feed off the university. BTW, its definitely not a place a wife would like, at least not mine.....her exact words were ...who would want to live there. Not exactly a lot going on their.. Coaches need to remember Happy wife, happy life! :-)

Pretty sure the pay raises will take care of that.....

JSUBison
12-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Never been to Laramie, but would it be a fair comparison to Dickinson as far as the size, isolation, shopping and things to do?

coloradobison
12-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Sounds about right...Cheyenne closer than Bismarck however, and larger.

reformedUNDfan
12-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Never been to Laramie, but would it be a fair comparison to Dickinson as far as the size, isolation, shopping and things to do?
i'd compare it to wahpeton. Small and isolated but not that far from much bigger cities.

Bisonguy
12-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Sounds about right...Cheyenne closer than Bismarck however, and larger.

FWIW, Cheyenne is smaller than Bismarck, at least from the 2010 census. 59k vs. 61k for Bismarck, and 61k vs. 64k for 2012 estimates.

coloradobison
12-20-2013, 09:44 PM
FWIW, Cheyenne is smaller than Bismarck, at least from the 2010 census. 59k vs. 61k for Bismarck, and 61k vs. 64k for 2012 estimates.

I would have never guessed.

KyleK
12-20-2013, 11:45 PM
"@FGOSPORTSWRITER: NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor confirms assistant coach Nick Goeser is staying with NDSU."

NDSUSR
12-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Taylor also confirms strength coach Jim Kramer will remain at NDSU. Kramer was announced at Team Makers on Thursday as staying with team.

2011BisonAlumni
12-21-2013, 02:20 AM
Taylor also confirms strength coach Jim Kramer will remain at NDSU. Kramer was announced at Team Makers on Thursday as staying with team.

This is so freaking huge. I seriously don't think many people understand how huge this is.

GOBISON123
12-21-2013, 04:57 AM

Amen Brother Amen:judges:

MAKBison
12-21-2013, 07:13 PM
TO date what has been confirmed

Staying:
Kramer Strength coach Spends the most time with players, More than any other coach!

Gone:
Craig Bohl Head Coach
Brent Vigen Offensive Coordinator/Quarterback

Speculation, but noting solid yet

hattonbison
12-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Friend of mine was on a flight to Minneapolis this morning and said Coach Bohl and Coach Vigen were on the plane. Wonder where they were heading.

CalBison97
12-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Friend of mine was on a flight to Minneapolis this morning and said Coach Bohl and Coach Vigen were on the plane. Wonder where they were heading.

Non-NDSU business. (Sigh)

BlueBisonRock
12-21-2013, 09:53 PM

Howizthat? I was under the impression that Coach Bohl had access to a private plane?

Hope they enjoy their weekend. There is work to be done come Monday.

Jay
12-21-2013, 11:01 PM
@FGOSPORTSWRITER: NDSU head coach-to-be Chris Klieman says assistant coach Conor Riley will be retained on the new staff along with Nick Goeser.

RedRiver
12-22-2013, 01:50 AM
That's good news as well. Might be the new oline coach.

BadlandsBison
12-22-2013, 01:51 AM
That's good news as well. Might be the new oline coach.

I think Kolpack had another tweet saying Riley would be the o-line coach

MAKBison
12-22-2013, 05:02 AM
Updated.................

TO date what has been confirmed

Staying:
Kramer Strength coach Spends the most time with players, More than any other coach!

Gone:
Craig Bohl Head Coach

Bison"FANatic"
12-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Coaches come and go but Tradition and Bison Pride will forever be here. The Program The Program The Program

Mr. Burgundy
12-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Stanard is the DC at Wyoming. Great coach. Absolutely loves ndsu. Great promotion for him and his family.

IBleedYellow
12-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Stanard is the DC at Wyoming. Great coach. Absolutely loves ndsu. Great promotion for him and his family.

Woah, big promotion for him! Glad to hear for his family's sake!!

KansasBison
12-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if he was indeed Bohl's DC. Plenty of DC experience through the years and knows the defense. I figured it would be him or Hazelton.

MAKBison
12-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Confirmed

NDSU:
Chris Klieman HC
Nick Goeser D-tackles
Conor Riley OL
Kramer Strength/Conditioning (Spends the most time with players)

Gone:
Craig Bohl Head Coach

westnodak93bison
12-23-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm really curious to see who will land the OC job. This is huge imho. I really hope we keep the same play book.
Who could be on Klieman's short list? The only guys I can think of that have Bison ties and some familiarity with our style of offense would be
Polasek, Caruso and Perles. What are you guys thinking?

BadlandsBison
12-23-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm really curious to see who will land the OC job. This is huge imho. I really hope we keep the same play book.
Who could be on Klieman's short list? The only guys I can think of that have Bison ties and some familiarity with our style of offense would be
Polasek, Caruso and Perles. What are you guys thinking?

I don't think Perles comes back, especially since he's making NFL cash. I don't know much about Caruso but it sounds like his wheel house is in the head coach spot more so than coordinating. Polasek is who I'm pulling for to come back. Quarterback coach and OC, same thing Vigen does now but I have no idea how much working experience Polasek and Klieman have.

Gully
12-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Polasek coming back would be outstanding for recruiting. I have no idea how strong he is with Xs and Os.

Bison bison
12-23-2013, 03:45 PM
I have no idea how strong he is with Xs and Os.

I bet he gives one hell ova bear hug.

westnodak93bison
12-23-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't think Perles comes back, especially since he's making NFL cash. I don't know much about Caruso but it sounds like his wheel house is in the head coach spot more so than coordinating. Polasek is who I'm pulling for to come back. Quarterback coach and OC, same thing Vigen does now but I have no idea how much working experience Polasek and Klieman have.

Perles is the OL coach at Syracuse. Not sure what he is making there.

Hammersmith
12-23-2013, 04:20 PM
I know Brian Ward from WIU has been brought up on here as a DC possibility. I'm looking at his bio and it concerns me a bit that he rarely spends more than a year or three at each stop. Even in the coaching world that seems a bit much. Nine jobs as a coach and five of them only lasted a year(inc. NDSU).

1997: DC & ST, McPherson College (alma mater), 1 year
1998-2000: DC, Glendale Community College, 3 years
2001-2004: assorted positions up to assistant coach, Wabash College, 4 years
2005: DC & ST, Missouri Southern, 1 year
2006: DC, Tulsa Union High School, 1 year
2007-09: HC, McPherson College, 3 years
2010: DB, NDSU, 1 year
2011: DC, Drake, 1 year
2012-13: DC, WIU, 2 years

Tatanka
12-23-2013, 04:26 PM
I know Brian Ward from WIU has been brought up on here as a DC possibility. I'm looking at his bio and it concerns me a bit that he rarely spends more than a year or three at each stop. Even in the coaching world that seems a bit much. Nine jobs as a coach and five of them only lasted a year(inc. NDSU).

1997: DC & ST, McPherson College (alma mater), 1 year
1998-2000: DC, Glendale Community College, 3 years
2001-2004: assorted positions up to assistant coach, Wabash College, 4 years
2005: DC & ST, Missouri Southern, 1 year
2006: DC, Tulsa Union High School, 1 year
2007-09: HC, McPherson College, 3 years
2010: DB, NDSU, 1 year
2011: DC, Drake, 1 year
2012-13: DC, WIU, 2 years

Moved up every time though... Can't argue with your hesitation.

BadlandsBison
12-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Perles is the OL coach at Syracuse. Not sure what he is making there.

My bad. NFL cash now irrelevant :D

bisonmike2
12-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Coach K is going to have so many contacts for these positions that I'm not even going to attempt guess. Dude spent 9 years at UNI, my guess our OC and probably most of the positions are going to be people from that time frame, not someone like Perles who was here and left several years before Coach K was.

MAKBison
12-23-2013, 05:26 PM
I seem to recall many not liking him----am i mistaken? Perles

My bad. NFL cash now irrelevant :D

G_Funky
12-23-2013, 06:08 PM
When Perles was the OC here the offense was extremely vanilla and highly predictable...there just happened to be a real nice class (Walker, Steffes, T White) that was able to produce a lot of wins. I think that's why Vigen struggled a bit with the gig right away bc he had seen it done a certain way for several years and he was just continuing what was done before. Now that he has added variety to an offense that still relies on the run it is proving to be successful.

I think Klieman will get someone with either a West Coast offensive philosophy background or someone who has similarities to the WC offense.

Polasek is old school, but he's also engaged and just moved from Fargo to Dekalb so I wonder if the interest would be there to come back, especially since he orginally from Wisco. He has the potential to move up in teh coaching world if he proves worthy at NIU but if he comes to NDSU and is just mediocre he could really derail any chances on moving up.

The new OC is going to tweak the playbook. If they have experience somewhere else, which is thoroughly hope they would if they are hired at SU, they are going to implement their offensive scheme...

CAS4127
12-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Need to remember that Vigen will be taking his playbook with him.

G_Funky
12-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Brock Jensen OC

T-Funk
12-23-2013, 06:49 PM

I was wondering about this. Is a playbook the property of the school or the OC or DC?

Kermit
12-23-2013, 07:05 PM

In the past, I have been critical of Vigen. For several years it seemed like our defense won games while our offense did just enough to get by. I was concerned that Vigen wasn't the right guy for the job. I didn't know if he had the background to be an effective OC (he's never coached anywhere but NDSU). I was also concerned that the lack of development of some of our QBs might be related to having a QB coach who never played the position.

I was either just plain wrong, or Vigen has improved dramatically. It is hard to argue with the game plans or execution of the 2013 Bison offense. What's not to like?

Klieman has said that he doesn't want to change the philosophy. That is why I think a guy like Tim Polasek would be an ideal fit. Polasek played QB and he has coached RBs, FBs, TEs and special teams. He's been around the block enough now to be a legit coordinator. Another name that I haven't seen mentioned here is Courtney Messingham (http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205355914). Messingham was recently released as the OC at Iowa State and I believe he played with Klieman at UNI. I don't know if his philosophy is compatible, though.

BisonEngrGirl
12-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Vigen has improved a lot the past two years especially, but I think he still struggles at certain times. He's sort of hot and cold and sometimes I feel like he's not accurately reading what the other team's defense is giving us. A lot better than several years ago, but I still think he's replaceable.

westnodak93bison
12-23-2013, 07:10 PM

Come on CAS, no way in hell that playbook is the property of Brent Vigen. It belongs to NDSU and I highly doubt NDSU cares if he takes a copy with him to WY.
Also, I would imagine the players have copies. Starting from scratch with a new offense would be a monumental disaster imho. Why reinvent the wheel?

CAS4127
12-23-2013, 07:14 PM
I was wondering about this. Is a playbook the property of the school or the OC or DC?

Come on CAS, no way in hell that playbook is the property of Brent Vigen. It belongs to NDSU and I highly doubt NDSU cares if he takes a copy with him to WY.
Also, I would imagine the players have copies. Starting from scratch with a new offense would be a monumental disaster imho. Why reinvent the wheel?

The playbook that is used by Vigen and Bohl is their property. I am sure there are copies around, but not ones the contain all of their notes and reminders. Hopefully they leave to portfolia's off all of oppenents over the years tho, as that would help a great deal.

bisonmike2
12-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Vigen has improved a lot the past two years especially, but I think he still struggles at certain times. He's sort of hot and cold and sometimes I feel like he's not accurately reading what the other team's defense is giving us. A lot better than several years ago, but I still think he's replaceable.

It's fine with me if he wants to take his regular season playbook with him. You know the one page book that has inside run, outside run and pass for 5 yard out on a 3rd and 8. Just as long as we get to keep his playoff playbook. He has been spectacular in the playoffs, especially this year.

westnodak93bison
12-23-2013, 07:22 PM
The playbook that is used by Vigen and Bohl is their property. I am sure there are copies around, but not ones the contain all of their notes and reminders. Hopefully they leave to portfolia's off all of oppenents over the years tho, as that would help a great deal.

I can't imagine Bohl and Vigen not being cooperative in that regard. If anyone thinks otherwise please explain.

CAS4127
12-23-2013, 07:23 PM
I can't imagine Bohl and Vigen not being cooperative in that regard. If anyone thinks otherwise please explain.

Well, they would have to be very trustworthy then. Let's say one of Klieman's assistants, or even himself, moves to the MWC in the next 2-5 years. They would have the playbook in hand.

Bison_Pride
12-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Wouldn't an OC playbook be like his master's thesis and his resume rolled into one? Why would he not protect that?

Polasek is a dream that won't come true. Too many things to keep him at NIU.

Bisonator98
12-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Seriously is Vigen that much better or is it the 5th year senior QB and all of the other seniors that are executing it? IMO the players are the key and executing the plays called and the gameplan better then ever. Vigen deserves a lot of credit and has come along ways as a coordinator but IMO he still calls some pretty shitty plays at inopportune times.

G_Funky
12-23-2013, 07:30 PM

The system SU uses for opponent/self scout would have everything any coach rolling in would need...if there really is an unnecessary concern about not having a playbook, just throw the film up and write down what the play is tagged as and how its ran and everything is good to go.

Mayville Bison
12-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Well, they would have to be very trustworthy then. Let's say one of Klieman's assistants, or even himself, moves to the MWC in the next 2-5 years. They would have the playbook in hand.

Plus, there are probably a number of plays or variations/reads to current plays in Vigen's playbook we haven't even seen. I'm guessing he leaves the playbook he has been using, but notes and ongoing developments are going to stay with Vigen and Vigen only.

MN_Moose
12-23-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm really curious to see who will land the OC job.

NDSU will end up with Courtney Messingham as OC. He was recently released from Iowa State OC. He was teammate of Kleiman's at UNI and is also a Waterloo native.
http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3672899

td577
12-23-2013, 08:40 PM
We all saw in the Waterboy what happens when a playbook gets in the wrong hands.

KTF
12-23-2013, 08:44 PM
NDSU will end up with Courtney Messingham as OC. He was recently released from Iowa State OC. He was teammate of Kleiman's at UNI and is also a Waterloo native.

Was he released for poor performance? A review of his creditentials definitely indicates he is a solid coach.

Bison"FANatic"
12-23-2013, 09:34 PM
I hope we get someone on the way up and not on the way down. I guess we trust in Coach K it will be interesting who he brings in.

KyleK
12-23-2013, 11:15 PM

Unless he ran something other then the spread offensive before, I dont think he fits what Coach K said he wants to run. If you watch the video on the Iowa State link, he talks about the spread. I'm not sure if its his offensive offensive of choice, or if the HC asked him to implement it.

Coach K has stated he wants to stick with power football.

MAKBison
12-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Cas,

How would a playbook belong to a coach and not the one paying the coach to develop it. Is there some kinda of contractual exemption? Again, There is no way it could ever be deemed intellectual property when the sole source of the playbook is used to perform the duties to which NDSU is paying the coach. As a Prof. Most all I do at the university is the property of the University to include intellectual concepts, ideas etc.

MAKBison
12-23-2013, 11:35 PM
The spread is not gunna work here!

Unless he ran something other then the spread offensive before, I dont think he fits what Coach K said he wants to run. If you watch the video on the Iowa State link, he talks about the spread. I'm not sure if its his offensive offensive of choice, or if the HC asked him to implement it.

BadlandsBison
12-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Its not like a coach can't adjust. In fact a good coach should be able to adjust & adapt to different formations and schemes.

Bisonator98
12-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Playbooks are always changing. No slam on Vigen but let's be honest here. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to draw up our offensive plays guys.

BismarckBisonFan
12-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Playbooks are always changing. No slam on Vigen but let's be honest here. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to draw up our offensive plays guys.

Agree but the key lately has when certain plays are called. There has been some big yardage put up in the playoffs.

MAKBison
12-24-2013, 12:55 AM
true, but the sequencing of them is very meaningful. I thought Coach really did a good job setting plays up both during a game and for future games

westnodak93bison
12-24-2013, 01:00 AM
true, but the sequencing of them is very meaningful. I thought Coach really did a good job setting plays up both during a game and for future games

I agree. Our O had teams on their heals and guessing often.

Bisonator98
12-24-2013, 01:32 AM
IMO it all comes down to execution. This setting up teams is BS. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. It shouldn't matter if the other team knows exactly what you are going to run if you execute it to perfection which is what you are seeing by an experienced team.

westnodak93bison
12-24-2013, 01:35 AM
IMO it all comes down to execution. This setting up teams is BS. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. It shouldn't matter if the other team knows exactly what you are going to run if you execute it to perfection which is what you are seeing by an experienced team.

A good OC absolutely "sets up" the other team

MAKBison
12-24-2013, 02:10 AM
yep...think all of the variations off the jet sweep

gotts
12-24-2013, 03:14 AM
CAS explaining intellectual property?

Holy shit, Christmas did come early!

Mayville Bison
12-24-2013, 01:18 PM

It absolutely comes down to execution, but setting a team up can be a big momentum booster/changer. For example, when Bonnet lines up as a receiver during the regular season, he would come in motion and set up the 2FB/1RB look and they would always go to that side. During the CC game, they added in where Brock fakes the handoff and runs the QB boot to the opposite side. During the UNH game, they had Bonnet in motion but snap it before he got to the FB spot so he could crack down on the LB.

I guarantee you there is another wrinkle to this play we haven't seen yet and when/if we do, it will have big play potential as Vigen has been setting it up all year.

MAKBison
12-24-2013, 05:20 PM
The KState game Joey Pennington was all impressed how Vigs set up plays. Have herd ti a few times. Anyway, For Vigs to grow as a coach he had to leave. I am betting that the new OC is someone thats been her before. Jst a hunch/guess

HerdBot
12-25-2013, 02:52 AM

Typically the o coordinator has to learn the Bison playbook and adds his own wrinkles. The Big 12 is a spread league so its kind of the norm. We run a variation of the spread too but we will never go away from power

Bison 4 Life
12-26-2013, 12:57 AM
A Christmas gift indeed. http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/421975/

One thing NDSU isn’t losing is (Jim) Kramer, who is staying with new head coach Chris Klieman when he takes over after next Saturday’s game in Frisco, Texas.

DjKyRo
12-26-2013, 01:08 AM

Execution of scheme is most definitely important, but you're not seeing the whole picture if you think that it's just a matter of running plays well. Well-run plays can still be blown up by lesser athletes that are put in position to stop plays. The idea of putting defenders out of position is all a matter of the chess-like analogy that we often hear commentators describe.

If you've ever played chess, Bisonator89, then you'll know that even a pawn can capture a queen. The idea behind chess is to use your pieces in an overall strategy - the strength of the pieces themselves have to be taken into account, yes, and in the right place a queen or rook can be devastating compared to something that can't move with as much versatility; maybe a poor metaphor for the superior athleticism a football player can field, but a metaphor nonetheless. The best chess players are the ones who can disguise their strategies and misdirect their opponent's efforts against them, and in coordinating it's no different. Running a QB draw out of a five-wide set is a risky option, but if it's in a situation where you've been passing and the opponent expects another pass, it can be devastating and can hand you a big gain or a crucial conversion where you otherwise might not have gotten one. You might see that as a small benefit, but if it's a benefit, I would absolutely expect any coordinator to make a serious attempt at it. In a "game of inches," can one really not use every advantage at his disposal?

I look at the Georgia Southern game last year as the prime example of where this kind of thinking excels. The same play that Brock got his critical touchdown on was run earlier in the game but with Ryan Smith in place of Grothmann - every time we either passed or ran an end-around to Smith, and it was clear the defense was expecting the same play. Interestingly, I believe that was the same formation Jensen got his 60-yard "flu" TD on the year prior. Anyway, Jensen charged up the middle, which they were clearly unprepared for, and the rest is history.

If a coordinator is harping on execution solely as the deciding factor in his job, he isn't doing his job to its fullest extent and should be judged accordingly. Hanging on to that logic out of something like principle is quite simply not utilizing every advantage, and does a disservice to the players in that scheme. Is execution a huge part of it? Most definitely. Is it the only part? Most definitely not. Maybe some more learned scheme minds on here will disagree.

westnodak93bison
12-26-2013, 03:02 AM
Good post. IMHO, football is morphying into a multi dimentional deal for both offense and defense. We have run spread type plays but are by no means a spread team. Imho, the whole key is POWER. If you can run that well, everything else is gonna be a big problem for an opposing defense. In the NFL you often see teams running 4-3 then 3-4 base defenses in the same game or series.

td577
12-26-2013, 03:27 AM
Just an observation about the perfect execution theory. I mostly agree with this. I think if you execute an offensive play perfectly, it will gain yards. The problem is that every single play can be defended perfectly, as well. If you are not doing anything to keep the defense off balance, they will stop you with the perfectly executed defensive play. Everything about sports is about gaining an advantage through setting things up. You set up the passing game with a strong running attack and start to pull defenders close to the line. You set up a running play by getting the defense to over commit because they are guessing wrong.

In baseball, for example, you use the fastball to set up a hitter for offspeed pitches. You even sometimes give up a ball to set up a guy. Like throwing high and tight will set up a curveball perfectly later in the count. All the hitter is thinking is great, the ball is coming for my head again. Football is not any different. The perfectly executed play against a defense expecting something else is very devastating. If part of the game wasn't about setting up and deception, no one would ever run a draw. Hell, there are times every Bison fan in the world knows Brock is going to keep it but the defense has to play straight up just in case he hands off or stops and passes. Even that run perfectly will not work unless the defense is second guessing what really could happen. Sometimes they guess right. Sometimes they get burned.

bri-dog
12-26-2013, 03:37 AM
In baseball, for example, you use the fastball to set up a hitter for offspeed pitches. You even sometimes give up a ball to set up a guy. Like throwing high and tight will set up a curveball perfectly later in the count. All the hitter is thinking is great, the ball is coming for my head again.

What, you mean like this?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-Ro1K4n4JJhYnJ/field_of_dreams_1989_terri_arrives_to_the_farm_par t_3/

DIBISON
12-27-2013, 02:51 AM

He's been on a few TV sideline shots tonight on ESPN as N Illinois is playing in the Poinsettia Bowl.

westnodak93bison
12-27-2013, 02:53 AM
He's been on a few TV sideline shots tonight on ESPN as N Illinois is playing in the Poinsettia Bowl.

Saw that. Sign him in the morning as OC!

KilldeerBison
12-27-2013, 03:02 AM
Execution of scheme is most definitely important, but you're not seeing the whole picture if you think that it's just a matter of running plays well. Well-run plays can still be blown up by lesser athletes that are put in position to stop plays. The idea of putting defenders out of position is all a matter of the chess-like analogy that we often hear commentators describe.

If you've ever played chess, Bisonator89, then you'll know that even a pawn can capture a queen. The idea behind chess is to use your pieces in an overall strategy - the strength of the pieces themselves have to be taken into account, yes, and in the right place a queen or rook can be devastating compared to something that can't move with as much versatility; maybe a poor metaphor for the superior athleticism a football player can field, but a metaphor nonetheless. The best chess players are the ones who can disguise their strategies and misdirect their opponent's efforts against them, and in coordinating it's no different. Running a QB draw out of a five-wide set is a risky option, but if it's in a situation where you've been passing and the opponent expects another pass, it can be devastating and can hand you a big gain or a crucial conversion where you otherwise might not have gotten one. You might see that as a small benefit, but if it's a benefit, I would absolutely expect any coordinator to make a serious attempt at it. In a "game of inches," can one really not use every advantage at his disposal?

I look at the Georgia Southern game last year as the prime example of where this kind of thinking excels. The same play that Brock got his critical touchdown on was run earlier in the game but with Ryan Smith in place of Grothmann - every time we either passed or ran an end-around to Smith, and it was clear the defense was expecting the same play. Interestingly, I believe that was the same formation Jensen got his 60-yard "flu" TD on the year prior. Anyway, Jensen charged up the middle, which they were clearly unprepared for, and the rest is history.

If a coordinator is harping on execution solely as the deciding factor in his job, he isn't doing his job to its fullest extent and should be judged accordingly. Hanging on to that logic out of something like principle is quite simply not utilizing every advantage, and does a disservice to the players in that scheme. Is execution a huge part of it? Most definitely. Is it the only part? Most definitely not. Maybe some more learned scheme minds on here will disagree.

This showed up last year at the NC against SH. When they lost their stud SS/DB (Taylor), their defense tanked.

MAKBison
12-27-2013, 03:18 AM
well being this is there last game perhaps we will know something this week? Then again maybe we wont.

NDSUSR
12-27-2013, 03:58 AM
well being this is there last game perhaps we will know something this week? Then again maybe we wont.

Its almost certain that nothing will be announced until after Frisco.
They do not want any additional distraction/drama.