HoopsBison
12-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Congrats to Billy!

tolnabison
12-14-2013, 08:33 PM
This is huge for his draft stock.

southcliffbison
12-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Pan cake'm !!! Do what you do best !!!!!!!

coloradobison
12-14-2013, 08:50 PM
congrats Billy!

A1pigskin
12-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Congratulations Billy.

HerdBot
12-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Huge!! Love it!

BisonTeacher
12-15-2013, 03:38 AM
Awesome. Congrats. Nice tackle today too!!!

unbison
12-15-2013, 10:16 AM
This kid is a beast it has been a dam treat to watch him!

BisoninNWMN
12-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Well deserved!!

TateMosersneighbor
12-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Our Lines (s) are the best in FCS. Too many threads...not enough talking about the dominating performances of our lines this year. Billy is a man and is a very, very good FB player...but our line(s) collectively are better than most FCS lines. I think I'd take MSU and Ohio State...maybe Wisconsin's over ours in the Big 10.

These guys have paved the way to 13 wins and will keep it up Friday night.

Herd890
12-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Congrats to Billy, guy deserves it!

Hopefully not a terrible question, but who was our last player to receive a senior bowl invite? I was thinking Lamar Gordon did but can't remember if he did or not.

BisonNation11
12-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Congrats to Billy, guy deserves it!

Hopefully not a terrible question, but who was our last player to receive a senior bowl invite? I was thinking Lamar Gordon did but can't remember if he did or not.

If I remember correctly didn't
Cornick (sp?) play in the senior bowl a couple of years ago?
Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

tony
12-15-2013, 12:58 PM
This year Billy Turner has turned it up to 11 and broken off the knob.

td577
12-15-2013, 01:33 PM
I said it a couple of weeks ago in a discussion about the most outstanding offensive player in FCS. Linemen so often go unnoticed, but Turner has to be having one of the greatest seasons in FCS history for a LT. You hear the coaches grading out players every week and BT is always in the high 90s. There would be no reason for our own coaching staff to be anything less than very critical because they are always looking for weaknesses that can be exploited. I would be interested in what NFL scout would grade him out at because I am sure if there is interest, someone is watching every game and grading. I think he will be taken in 5th round or better, so that will be a pretty good indication of where the pros have him. It also seems like every big run by one of the backs and BT is in the picture. Turner has been great at this level and will enjoy watching his success at the next level manifest itself over the next few years.

MNLonghorn10
12-15-2013, 01:49 PM
This kid is a beast it has been a dam treat to watch him!

yep. Hard to find 4 year starting tackles, 3 years at the LT. probably a once in a lifetime talent for this program.

big ups to Billy!

ABommer
12-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Billy amazes me every week. I watch for him on almost every play. The last couple games on big runs he is there out in front 10 or 15 yards downfield blocking safeties. He even gets out there to block the next level on runs to the right! I just can't believe a man his size can move the way he does. He is a phenomenal football player and he will definitely stand out at the Senior Bowl.

onbison09
12-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Didn't Drago get invited to the Senior Bowl?

MAKBison
12-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Yes and he had a set a record if I remember correctly...longest punt???

Didn't Drago get invited to the Senior Bowl?

EndZoneQB
12-15-2013, 03:49 PM
I said it a couple of weeks ago in a discussion about the most outstanding offensive player in FCS. Linemen so often go unnoticed, but Turner has to be having one of the greatest seasons in FCS history for a LT. You hear the coaches grading out players every week and BT is always in the high 90s. There would be no reason for our own coaching staff to be anything less than very critical because they are always looking for weaknesses that can be exploited. I would be interested in what NFL scout would grade him out at because I am sure if there is interest, someone is watching every game and grading. I think he will be taken in 5th round or better, so that will be a pretty good indication of where the pros have him. It also seems like every big run by one of the backs and BT is in the picture. Turner has been great at this level and will enjoy watching his success at the next level manifest itself over the next few years.

I think if he plays well at the Senior Bowl, he will shoot up draft boards, if he already hasn't. There is enough film on him, they want to see him play against the "best" opposite him.

VanClubPres
12-15-2013, 04:44 PM
The rams are amazing on this team.

Billy is the leader of that. Great opportunity for him!

coloradobison
12-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Billy Turner accepted his invitation.

Reese's Senior Bowl ‏@seniorbowl 8m
OT @Big_Mountain77 (Billy Turner) from @NDSUAthletics (North Dakota St) has accepted an invitation to the 2014 Reese's Senior Bowl.

Retweeted by Scott Fuchs

MNLonghorn10
12-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Remember when he blocked those two kstate defenders at one by reaching out his left arm? Those poor guys had no chance

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HandoEX
12-16-2013, 07:14 PM
I think Billy is the 4th Bison to ever get a Senior Bowl invite. The other three are Stacy Robinson, Lamar Gordon, and Drago.

gotts
12-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Remember when he blocked those two kstate defenders at one by reaching out his left arm? Those poor guys had no chance

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvobbZlGCI&t=4m8s

BadlandsBison
12-16-2013, 07:28 PM
I think Billy should play baseball next spring :D

walknroehl
12-16-2013, 08:10 PM
I think Billy is the 4th Bison to ever get a Senior Bowl invite. The other three are Stacy Robinson, Lamar Gordon, and Drago.

I thought I remember watching Phil in it too. It could have been a different game and I was only 13 then.

TILIS-BisonFan
12-16-2013, 08:11 PM

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk That play will be his opening highlight when he drafted. I think the whole play is amazing as Brock knew he had the quick slant reading the d. He also had 100% confidence that Billy would be able to handle both the lineman until he released it.

TAILG8R
12-16-2013, 08:49 PM
I thought I remember watching Phil in it too. It could have been a different game and I was only 13 then.

He played in three college all-star games following his senior season - the East-West Shrine game, the Blue-Gray Football Classic, and the All-American Classic.

BisonNation11
12-16-2013, 09:05 PM

Did Cornick not go to the Senior Bowl?

td577
12-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Did Cornick not go to the Senior Bowl?

He went to the Players All Star Classic.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

coloradobison
01-16-2014, 03:50 PM
SO Billy is on the South Team (Seantrel Henderson is on the North team....) so Gus Bradley and the Jax staff will be coaching Billy.

Lorenzo Taliaferro (Coastal Carolina) and Jerick McKinnon (Georgia Southern) are also on the South team.

dragonsfan
01-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Why would they put him on south team? North Dakota state on south team huh? Only plausible explanation is Gus Bradley traded sentreal for him?

td577
01-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Doesn't Henderson play RT? It could possibly be they just simply had to move some guys around to fill the rosters. Maybe the North had too many LTs and the South had too many RTs.

Jordan Tripp is on the south team, as well. I think it is just about filling the rosters with the proper numbers after a certain point, not necessarily geography.

bisonsupporter
01-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Will be interesting to see how he does against a guy like Trent Murphy.

dragonsfan
01-16-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm sure the civil war buffs will be boycotting this game now, lol

Bison03
01-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Why would they put him on south team? North Dakota state on south team huh? Only plausible explanation is Gus Bradley traded sentreal for him?

Only reasonable explanation is that whoever picks the teams assumes that NDSU is located in Frisco, TX.

Elvis was a Bison
01-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Only reasonable explanation is that whoever picks the teams assumes that NDSU is located in Frisco, TX.

++++++"South Campus", anyway...++++++

Bison bison
01-19-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm sure the civil war buffs will be boycotting this game now, lol

State's Rights baby!

BisonNeil
01-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Doesn't Henderson play RT? It could possibly be they just simply had to move some guys around to fill the rosters. Maybe the North had too many LTs and the South had too many RTs.

Jordan Tripp is on the south team, as well. I think it is just about filling the rosters with the proper numbers after a certain point, not necessarily geography.

That's exactly what it is. A classic example would be the East-West Shrine game yesterday.

The East squad had a LT from Bloomsburg, Matt Feiler. The West squad had a DE from Bloomsburg, Larry Webster III. Webster kicked Feiler's ass and got two sacks off of him. I wonder what that did for their "Bloomsburg family" relationship :)

OrygunBison
01-19-2014, 03:41 PM
There was also a Cal Poly guy playing for the East yesterday. I just think it is juggling to get the best matchups rather than worrying about getting a perfect setup based on some random geographical definition.

NDSUstudent
01-20-2014, 04:21 AM
Billy is getting a lot press leading into the Senior Bowl....

Tony Pauline's Senior Bowl Preview

North Dakota State's Billy Turner rates as the top small-school prospect invited to the Senior Bowl. He's a college left tackle projected by many to the right side, though some have him pegged as a guard. Turner will earn a lot of money if he's able to competently hold down the blind side spot this week.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Tony-Paulines-Senior-Bowl-Preview/fd48dd24-fa51-4529-add6-53f9e3fa71e8

NDSUstudent
01-20-2014, 04:24 AM
2014 SENIOR BOWL: TEN PROSPECTS WITH A LOT TO PROVE ON THE SOUTH ROSTER

. Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State
A true mauler for the North Dakota State rushing attack, Turner was able to show the natural strength, balance, and push upfield at the FCS level to not only earn an invite, but potentially enter with a Day Two grade. I’ll be very curious to see him work on the edge as a pass protector, and if he can consistently have success with his hand placement as a run blocker. If he can do both, and considering that the senior offensive tackle class is week, he could emerge as a Top 40 pick.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2014-senior-bowl-ten-prospects-with-a-lot-to-prove-on-the-south-roster.html

NDSUstudent
01-20-2014, 04:24 AM
Senior Bowl Preview: Offensive Players To Watch

A sleeper to keep an eye on is North Dakota State’s Billy Turner, who is one of the most aggressive run blockers in the 2014 draft. Playing with extreme intensity on every play is something that NFL talent evaluators will love about the North Dakota State lineman’s game. Turner has all of the size and athleticism teams will be looking for from an offensive tackle, but his technique will be watched closely at the Reese’s Senior Bowl. Turner’s footwork can get sloppy at times, and NFL caliber pass-rushers will expose that if he does not improve. He is a great candidate for a potential move to the guard position.

https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=9593:senior-bowl-preview-offensive-players-to-watch&Itemid=42

NDSUstudent
01-20-2014, 04:26 AM
Senior Bowl showcase: Five players with something to prove

"The small-school guys, one player who's interesting is Billy Turner, who played at North Dakota State," Savage said. "There are a lot of scouts who feel good about what he's going to be able to do here."

Turner is a 6-5, 310-pound offensive tackle who helped North Dakota State win the past three national championships in NCAA FCS. As a senior, he played 15 games without giving up a sack, including the Bison's 24-21 victory over Kansas State. Consequently, he was an FCS All-American for the second straight season.

Turner has NFL bloodlines: His father, Maurice, spent three years with the Vikings, Packers and Jets as a running back.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/senior_bowl_showcase_five_play.html

NDSUstudent
01-20-2014, 04:32 AM
Billy Turner podcast from the senior bowl....

http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/billy_turner_north_dakota_state_nfl_draft_breakdow n/15578036?linksrc=story_article_yb_original_head_15 578036

coloradobison
01-20-2014, 04:01 PM
This mock draft has Billy going in the 4th round to the Steelers - from @walterfootball

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/backyard/2014_nfl_mock_draft/14754128?refmod=backyard&refdst=3092&linksrc=story_article_yb_backyard_mod_head_1475412 8&refsrc=yardbarker

gotts
01-20-2014, 04:14 PM
This mock draft has Billy going in the 4th round to the Steelers - from @walterfootball

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/backyard/2014_nfl_mock_draft/14754128?refmod=backyard&refdst=3092&linksrc=story_article_yb_backyard_mod_head_1475412 8&refsrc=yardbarker

This guy is pretty optimistic...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1928823-2014-nfl-mock-draft-latest-projections-after-east-west-shrine-game/page/20

coloradobison
01-20-2014, 04:17 PM
This guy is pretty optimistic...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1928823-2014-nfl-mock-draft-latest-projections-after-east-west-shrine-game/page/20

Just needs to impress one team!

coloradobison
01-20-2014, 04:24 PM
The former NDSU star picked up three rings over the final three years of his career, along with numerous individual accolades. He graded out all year above 90%, including a 96% grade against Kansas State and All-American DE Ryan Mueller in the school’s opening night upset win.

A captain and four year starter, Turner buries FCS defensive linemen with regularity. He’s one of the best I’ve seen this year on “combo” blocks and the biggest reason for that are his excellent feet that help him get up to the second level quickly. After the week in Mobile, many will wonder how he ended up going the FCS route and not to a Big Ten or FBS school. He’ll get tested by the varied pass rushers that have descended upon Mobile, but Turner faced jet ends, power ends, speedy outside linebackers and didn’t give up one sack in 2013. The competition level will rise a notch, or three, so it’ll be intriguing to watch Turner respond in kind.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46039/351/six-to-watch-in-mobile

BisonNeil
01-20-2014, 04:29 PM
It is interesting the evaluation each of these guys has with Billy's feet. The last guy above says he has "excellent feet", others have said he has "sloppy footwork". Interesting.

coloradobison
01-20-2014, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE} Top 20 Attending

13. OL Billy Turner, North Dakota State - Technique is not Billy the Bully’s strong suit, but his functional strength makes up for it. We discuss improvisational skill with quarterbacks and ball carriers, but Turner is a very unique blocker. I am positive he will get yelled at during individual sessions by NFL offensive line coaches because his posture is tall and he is unconventional. Turner will shine in team drills, especially running periods. Turner might stick at tackle, but he can play guard because of his willingness to adjust with a solid punch and grip in tighter spaces. [/QUOTE]

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46036/351/norris-senior-bowl-preview?pg=2

bisonhp330
01-20-2014, 04:37 PM

THIS I LIKE. GOD is a Bison fan....but on the 7th day, the day of rest- he cheers for the Steelers!!!

NDSUstudent
01-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Billy Turner, OL North Dakota State: Turner is a tall, athletic offensive lineman with tremendous starting potential at the NFL level. He’s mostly played left tackle in college but is projected to move inside to guard for the NFL. Turner is an extremely fluid and powerful lineman who plays with a nasty streak. He was extremely dominant all season against FCS competition. Turner is very strong as a run blocker and finishes off his blocks to the end of the play. He needs to improve his consistency; technique and footwork in pass protection. If Turner receives the necessary NFL coaching that will improve his weakness as a pass blocker he could stay on the left side in the NFL because of his excellent size at (6-5 315), athleticism and upside that scouts covet. Turner is one of the top rated offensive lineman prospects and will be drafted in the early middle rounds.

http://www.tabersmall.com/

Bison bison
01-20-2014, 05:25 PM
It is interesting the evaluation each of these guys has with Billy's feet. The last guy above says he has "excellent feet", others have said he has "sloppy footwork". Interesting.

Most of these guys spend their days at the bars and then use a mad libs like computer algorithm to write paragraphs about guys they've never seen.

Just an FYI.

Bison 4 Life
01-20-2014, 05:35 PM
http://www.tabersmall.com/

That guy needs a lesson in website design.

Bison bison
01-20-2014, 05:36 PM
[i refuse to take the bait]

344Johnson
01-20-2014, 05:45 PM
THIS I LIKE. GOD is a Bison fan....but on the 7th day, the day of rest- he cheers for the Steelers!!!

Fact. In Ben We Trust.

Professor Chaos
01-20-2014, 06:09 PM
...many will wonder how he ended up going the FCS route and not to a Big Ten or FBS school...
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46039/351/six-to-watch-in-mobile
I think I can explain why:

1) His chili wasn't hot enough
2) He was just hungry, not starvin'
3) He went bear huntin' and he wasn't ready to get the bear

EndZoneQB
01-20-2014, 06:12 PM

Good feet and sloppy footwork are not mutually exclusive. He just needs better instruction...plus at the FCS level, his feet probably didn't matter as much since he was so dominant. Get him to the next level, his good feet will be a benefit when it comes time to cure the footwork issues...which he will need to do if he stays outside.

Comprende?

And for those with a bad memory, pretty sure Billy had some type of knee injury that kept offers away.

BisonNeil
01-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Good feet and sloppy footwork are not mutually exclusive. He just needs better instruction...plus at the FCS level, his feet probably didn't matter as much since he was so dominant. Get him to the next level, his good feet will be a benefit when it comes time to cure the footwork issues...which he will need to do if he stays outside.

Comprende?

And for those with a bad memory, pretty sure Billy had some type of knee injury that kept offers away.

yep. :D

(More characters because it was too short. Still do not know what is up with that requirement)

Civil06
01-20-2014, 06:44 PM
yep. :D

(More characters because it was too short. Still do not know what is up with that requirement)

It's to keep Gabe's programmers sharp.

NDSUstudent
01-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Billy Turner/North Dakota St lined up at right tackle in opening drills.

https://twitter.com/TonyPauline/status/425344664485392384

coloradobison
01-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Billy getting reps at guard as well as tackle in practice.

Billy Turner will get yelled at for tech, but his functional strength is great. Like that he’s getting snaps at G too.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/425365529621053440

NDSUstudent
01-20-2014, 07:51 PM
NDSU OT Billy Turner got chewed on pretty good by coaching staff during one on one run drills but looked much better in scrimmage portion.

https://twitter.com/SidelineFB/status/425369690245185536

GRAFTONBISON
01-20-2014, 07:57 PM
So for us dummies, are the Senior Bowl coaches NFL guys? Why would NDSU coaches not emphasize the same footwork, etc.?

CAS4127
01-20-2014, 07:58 PM
So for us dummies, are the Senior Bowl coaches NFL guys? Why would NDSU coaches not emphasize the same footwork, etc.?

Yes re: NFL coaches. In fact, Gus Bradley and his staff are coaching the south team as I understand things.

Bison03
01-20-2014, 07:59 PM

Clearly what NDSU's coaches are preaching isn't working.

GRAFTONBISON
01-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Clearly what NDSU's coaches are preaching isn't working.

Hoping you didn't think that is what I was implying? I am guessing as college coaches they can't always focus on the finer points of each position?

bisonmike2
01-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Hoping you didn't think that is what I was implying? I am guessing as college coaches they can't always focus on the finer points of each position?

Maybe it's like Kung-Fu? NDSU taught Billy the way of the Dragon. Billy Turner's Dragon style is strong but the NFL's Tiger style is stronger?

EndZoneQB
01-20-2014, 08:05 PM
https://twitter.com/SidelineFB/status/425369690245185536

Sometimes that doesn't nec mean you are doing badly, it's just that they actually "like" you and really think you can be something.

Bisonator98
01-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Sometimes that doesn't nec mean you are doing badly, it's just that they actually "like" you and really think you can be something.

They also see how they handle criticism and take coaching. Notice the added note about his improvement in the later drill. These are subtle things that the scouts look for throughout the week of practices. Also why the actual game played on Saturday is secondary to this week of coaching and drills.

coloradobison
01-20-2014, 08:16 PM
@dpbrugler https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/425374622151098368

If Billy Turner can learn to sink and not bend so much at the waist, he has Pro Bowls in his future #SeniorBowl

NDSUstudent
01-20-2014, 08:17 PM
CBS's scout said Billy was his #2 overall OL prospect at the Senior bowl...The #1 prospect according to him is Zach Martin from Notre Dame who he has going in round 1. He called Billy a potential Pro Bowler if he can clean up his technique.

coloradobison
01-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Seen a few tweets about getting chewed out about missing some blocks. Also seen mentions of his footwork and posture. Should be things he can clean up for combine and pro day. A few people have commented about his impressive hand strength and one guy said at weigh in that he looked less than impressive in his upper body.

So as I said earlier, different scouts will see different things and it only takes one to be sold on him to draft him. This experience should only make him better.

StL Bison Fan
01-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Sr Bowl Practice Recap will be on the NFL network tonite at 9:30p central time

turkeybucket
01-21-2014, 12:09 AM
First round to the Dolphins?

Green1
01-21-2014, 12:25 AM
First round to the Dolphins?

WOW! That would be fantastic!

NDSUstudent
01-21-2014, 01:27 AM
Sounds like Billy impressed some people on day 1....

2014 Senior Bowl: 10 observations from Monday's South practice

5. As impressive James was, arguably the most impressive offensive lineman of the day was North Dakota State's Billy Turner, who possesses a very similar build at 6-foot-5, 316 pounds. Unlike James, Turner struggles a bit with leverage, bending at the waist rather than the knees but he has strong hands and is a good athlete who projects as a quality NFL starter with a little refinement. His upside could push Turner into the top 100 picks, if he isn't there already.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24415146/senior-bowl-10-observations-from-mondays-south-practice

ZHerd
01-21-2014, 01:37 AM
Anyone know who was the last FCS player picked in the 1st round? I did a brief search but couldn't find anything on it.

turkeybucket
01-21-2014, 01:38 AM
Anyone know who was the last FCS player picked in the 1st round? I did a brief search but couldn't find anything on it.

Joe Flacco?

Bison03
01-21-2014, 01:54 AM

Joe Flacco was drafted 18th overall in 2008. Before that it was Steve McNair picked 3rd overall in 1995. Those might be the only two, not for sure though.

gotts
01-21-2014, 01:57 AM

I know Brian Quick went #33 back in 2012. Not sure on a first rounder, though.

HerdBoy
01-21-2014, 02:10 AM
Randy Moss in 1998? Jerry Rice in 1985. I realize these weren't the last but just throwing some names out.

ZHerd
01-21-2014, 02:33 AM
From what I've been able to find, FCS guys picked in round 1 have an amazing...actually perfect success rate. In addition to the guys you all have listed, the only other FCS 1st rounder I've found was Walter Payton (though there must be others) Jared Allen was 4th round and Tony Romo, Miles Austin, and Victor Cruz were undrafted.

Wally
01-21-2014, 02:48 AM
Sr Bowl Practice Recap will be on the NFL network tonite at 9:30p central time

Focusing on the offensive lineman next

Edit: The panel only talked about Seantrel Henderson and some dude from Baylor

westnodak93bison
01-21-2014, 03:01 AM
Lame analysis. Discussed only a hand full of players. Nothing on Billy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

HoopsBison
01-21-2014, 03:10 AM
Lame analysis. Discussed only a hand full of players. Nothing on Billy.

That's cuz it was all north practice today on NFL network, tomorrow the south team gets the spotlight.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

StL Bison Fan
01-21-2014, 03:11 AM
They have the practice at 1 and 2 tomorrow and then the recaps at 9:30.
Have to spread this out for a week

BadlandsBison
01-21-2014, 03:44 AM
I think Billy will do fine. I predict he will be a starter within 2 season if he stays healthy. Good luck Billy!

sbark
01-21-2014, 03:47 AM
Tweets from Senior Bowl.......scouts...
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler4h
Zack Martin is my top OL prospect in Mobile but NDSU OL Billy Turner might be my No. 2. Powerful hands and mean. Love this kid #SeniorBowl
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler4h
If Billy Turner can learn to sink and not bend so much at the waist, he has Pro Bowls in his future #SeniorBowl
1.Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris4h
Billy Turner will get yelled at for tech, but his functional strength is great. Like that he’s getting snaps at G too.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris1h
Billy Turner is the real deal.
10. Yes, he plays on the South squad and this is a North practice review, but I feel compelled to mention North Dakota State OL Billy Turner. He lined up at guard and tackle during practice and showed off his quick feet, upper body strength and mean punch to handle rushers. If Turner can learn to consistently sink his hips and not bend so much at the waist, I truly believe there are several Pro Bowls in his future.http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...l-10-observations-from-mondays-north-practice

HoopsBison
01-21-2014, 03:54 AM
Reading a bunch of practice notes from a variety of sources and it sounds like a mix bag day for Billy. Hopefully he has a great tomorrow and the rest of the week.

EndZoneQB
01-21-2014, 03:56 AM
Reading a bunch of practice notes from a variety of sources and it sounds like a mix bag day for Billy. Hopefully he has a great tomorrow and the rest of the week.

Getting criticized for technique is not a negative. They know he is raw...if they see a marked improvement by the end of the week, watch his stock soar. They want to see you improve. He's shown on film he improves, now they want to see him improve from day 1 to the draft.

perthbison
01-21-2014, 04:22 AM
I'm surprised at the numerous comments on footwork, technique and not sinking. I know there was little rumblings about his footwork playing at ndsu by scouts but our coaches apparently weren't successful in correcting these things. Perhaps the coaches didn't see the need to change it as Billy had enough natural strength and ability to handle everyone he was up against in the fcs despite little flaws in technique.

HoopsBison
01-21-2014, 04:45 AM
Getting criticized for technique is not a negative. They know he is raw...if they see a marked improvement by the end of the week, watch his stock soar. They want to see you improve. He's shown on film he improves, now they want to see him improve from day 1 to the draft.

Never said it was, just saying it wasnt a perfect day for Billy, go ahead and search through google and twitter and read the notes for yourself. Didnt have a great or bad day today, did some things well and others not so well. Sounds like he is nailing all the off the field activities. Hope he has a really strong day tomorrow.

GFBison
01-21-2014, 05:06 AM
I'm surprised at the numerous comments on footwork, technique and not sinking. I know there was little rumblings about his footwork playing at ndsu by scouts but our coaches apparently weren't successful in correcting these things. Perhaps the coaches didn't see the need to change it as Billy had enough natural strength and ability to handle everyone he was up against in the fcs despite little flaws in technique.

Maybe not enough practice time, balanced against school work, jobs, and other distractions. They come in with little experience from high school, learning a more complicated scheme. Also they are still developing physically, growing and maturing.

SamsRams
01-21-2014, 05:13 AM
just posted a bunch of write ups on my twitter feed. also there should be a audio interview up sometime tonight I will retweet or share

notThereallakesbison
01-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Billy is gonna shine!!!!!!! Mark it Down!!!!!!!!!!!

Bison 4 Life
01-21-2014, 01:49 PM
just posted a bunch of write ups on my twitter feed. also there should be a audio interview up sometime tonight I will retweet or share

In the video you posted of the practice, Billy was getting yelled at pretty good for being passive. Not what I expected.

westnodak93bison
01-21-2014, 06:00 PM
That's cuz it was all north practice today on NFL network, tomorrow the south team gets the spotlight.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Doh. Is it at 9:30 tonight?

coloradobison
01-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Doh. Is it at 9:30 tonight?

Practice coverage is on NFL network now. I believe south practice starts at 1:30 CST.

NDSUstudent
01-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Full pad practice today. I've seen Billy in the background running through some drills...practice is about to really get going. You can watch on NFL Network.

Montana Bison
01-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Representing!!!

http://www.seniorbowl.com/images/home_hero/day2prax.jpg

td577
01-21-2014, 07:40 PM

When football becomes his full-time job, there are a lot of little things that will get fixed based on how his new employer wants him to do things. There is only so much time in a day when a guy is trying to juggle schoolwork and athletics.

I don't think it is an indication of any failure on the coaching staff, I think it is more about limited time. It doesn't seem like the criticism is based on basic fundamentals, but rather some advanced technical issues.

The fact that the college level was relatively easy for him will inherently bring about some habits that might not be so good but those fine technical skills were unnecessary for him to dominate week in and week out. It will be much easier to tweak technique when he sees the immediate benefit against much better competition every day. The guys he has faced so far have been one trick ponies. The NFL caliber defensive lineman have multiple tricks they use on the same play. He will be fine.

NDSUstudent
01-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Billy Turner with a pancake of Will Sutton. Turner is green but he belongs.

https://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm/status/425729657774686208

CAS4127
01-21-2014, 07:46 PM
When football becomes his full-time job, there are a lot of little things that will get fixed based on how his new employer wants him to do things. There is only so much time in a day when a guy is trying to juggle schoolwork and athletics.

I don't think it is an indication of any failure on the coaching staff, I think it is more about limited time. It doesn't seem like the criticism is based on basic fundamentals, but rather some advanced technical issues.

The fact that the college level was relatively easy for him will inherently bring about some habits that might not be so good but those fine technical skills were unnecessary for him to dominate week in and week out. It will be much easier to tweak technique when he sees the immediate benefit against much better competition every day. The guys he has faced so far have been one trick ponies. The NFL caliber defensive lineman have multiple tricks they use on the same play. He will be fine.

This is not directed at you, td, just a general observation-->to wit: I doubt there is any college FB who makes it to the next level who does not have some weaknesses or poor technique. IOW, I bet you could read all the critiques of all college FB players intending to enter the draft this year, and you will find that they all have some problems or techniques they have to work out before becoming a good pro. It's the nature of the beast, and just because some things are being pointed out about Billy does not mean he is not good and or won't get drafted. If that were the criteria, no college FB player would get drafte because none are perfect coming out of college. For that matter, very few if any are perfect even in the NFL.

CAS4127
01-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler (https://twitter.com/dpbrugler)now (https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/425734781914345472)
Second day in a row that Billy Turner has impressed. A top-5 player here this week IMO #SeniorBowl (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SeniorBowl&src=hash)

coloradobison
01-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Other scouts are saying he is having a tough day, getting beaten badly on a few plays.

@ryanlownes

Billy Turner just got moved inside to RG and lost badly to McCullers. The Volunteers DT treated him like an old saloon door.

@tonypauline

Billy Turner/OL/North Dakota State having another tough day. Smoked on back-to-back reps.

@dpbrugler

Just as I tweet about Turner he has back-to-back bad reps. Still a solid outing overall. Needs to sink his hips consistently!

Hopefully Billy can improve throughout the week and look good in practice by Thursday / Friday. If this keeps up, scouts will probably question whether the ability he has shown will translate against top competition.

runtheoption
01-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler (https://twitter.com/dpbrugler)now (https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/425734781914345472)
Second day in a row that Billy Turner has impressed. A top-5 player here this week IMO #SeniorBowl (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SeniorBowl&src=hash)Those are some very lofty accolades. Will his good showing this week means he is stinky, filthy rich as opposed to darn rich with his 1st contract? Or will more stock be put into the combine?

bisonmike2
01-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Other scouts are saying he is having a tough day, getting beaten badly on a few plays.

Misdirection by other scouts to turn others off his trail.

CAS4127
01-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Misdirection by other scouts to turn others off his trail.

Yep, red herrings of the scouting world right there!

bisonsupporter
01-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Turner seemed like he struggled with the speed pass rushers today. Adrian Hubbard and Dee Ford are OLB that specialize in pass rush. Chiefs asked Turner about moving to Guard. I still think Turner will go late 2nd day to 3rd day of draft.

Civil06
01-21-2014, 08:30 PM
It's shocking to me how many people can make a living being "NFL draft experts".

bisonsupporter
01-21-2014, 08:31 PM
It's shocking to me how many people can make a living being "NFL draft experts".

It's like being a weather person....

NDSUstudent
01-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Dolphins talking to Billy after practice...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeiJ_ffCEAAS2o0.jpg

https://twitter.com/bkissel7/status/425741889053003776/photo/1

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2014, 08:33 PM

Are they experts or team scouts?

coloradobison
01-21-2014, 08:35 PM

I haven't seen many team scouts on Twitter, most of the guys referenced within this thread are "experts" for so and so sports website (bleacher report, cbssports, etc.)

td577
01-21-2014, 08:35 PM
This is not directed at you, td, just a general observation-->to wit: I doubt there is any college FB who makes it to the next level who does not have some weaknesses or poor technique. IOW, I bet you could read all the critiques of all college FB players intending to enter the draft this year, and you will find that they all have some problems or techniques they have to work out before becoming a good pro. It's the nature of the beast, and just because some things are being pointed out about Billy does not mean he is not good and or won't get drafted. If that were the criteria, no college FB player would get drafte because none are perfect coming out of college. For that matter, very few if any are perfect even in the NFL.

I completely agree. I also go back to what was really my main point. Up until now, football hasn't been his only focus. It will now be his profession. For the next X amount of years, and I do think the sky is the limit for Billy, football becomes his career. Not preparing for a football career. Not preparing for a college degree. He will be in his career learning the skills needed in his trade as a full time profession. That is an entirely a different level than any amount of time he has been able to spend on his trade up until this point. He will also have coaches, assistants, and consultants who will spend hours breaking down his strengths and weaknesses every day. His learning of how to be a professional lineman has just begun.

Scouting report on Nate Solder before the draft, who is now considered one of the best tackles in the game by ProFootballWeekly:

Positives: Has excellent size with long arms and a frame to still grow into. Carries his weight well and still has the movement skills of a tight end, outperforming many in the 20-yard shuttle (4.34) at the Combine, where he led all offensive tackles. Very athletic with good body control and balance. Fluid on the move — can work up a level and eliminate linebackers. Outstanding character. Worked very hard to bulk up and is dedicated to improvement — the game is important to him. Unselfish, business-like, coachable, team player.

Negatives: Plays too tall, cannot handle power and too often oversets and gives up the inside. Struggles to generate movement off the line. Struggles to sink his hips and counter. Could always have leverage and core strength deficiencies given his length. Not strong-handed and does not use his hands with any authority. Does not play with substance and can be overpowered and outquicked to the inside. Only bench-pressed 225 pounds 21 times and needs to get stronger. Marginal Senior Bowl performance - too often was beat in practice and in the game, was disappointing in one-on-one drills and did not handle kicking inside well.

Summary: A converted tight end who has gradually stacked on weight and become more comfortable at tackle, Solder showed improvement late in the season but is still very much a project in the works, lacks the core strength to handle power and will require patience in the pros. Compares favorably to Robert Gallery, although he does have longer levers.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/29/patriots-no-1-pick-scouting-report-ot-nate-solder

KSBisonFan
01-21-2014, 08:39 PM

Neither. They're meteorologists.

NDSUstudent
01-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Tomorrow will be a big day for Billy. Hopefully he kicks some ass.

Civil06
01-21-2014, 08:41 PM

"Experts". Not just from the networks/magazines I've heard of, but a ton of Twitter feeds from websites specific to the NFL draft. @Bisonation.info called a guy out the other day for not knowing anything about Marcus Williams. It was awesome.

westnodak93bison
01-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Can you imagine the praise he would get if he were a Notre Dame grad.

Bison 4 Life
01-21-2014, 08:46 PM
"Experts". Not just from the networks/magazines I've heard of, but a ton of Twitter feeds from websites specific to the NFL draft. @Bisonation.info called a guy out the other day for not knowing anything about Marcus Williams. It was awesome.

This. There are a mother loving ton of those websites out there, each with their own opinion.

coloradobison
01-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Tomorrow will be a big day for Billy. Hopefully he kicks some ass.

Why tomorrow specifically? Improve from today?

56BISON73
01-21-2014, 08:52 PM

Exactly. Plus people here arent used to hearing criticism of our players. Then its kind of a shock to them when they first here it. Players are going to get beat when they dont face that type of competition on a regular basis as in every day. The big thing for him is to show he is coach able. To show improvement everyday.

Bison03
01-21-2014, 08:53 PM
So if I have a draft website and get the proper credentials, could I be tweeting as a draft expert? As crazy as it sounds, I still think some of these "experts" find some more reasons to dog on someone just because he plays in the FCS. I think most teams will look at Turner and not care that he is an FCS guy and look at what he can do for their team. Best of luck to Billy.

NDSUstudent
01-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Why tomorrow specifically? Improve from today?

Last day of practice in full pads plus a chance to show he can improve.

bisonmike2
01-21-2014, 08:55 PM
So if I have a draft website and get the proper credentials, could I be tweeting as a draft expert? As crazy as it sounds, I still think some of these "experts" find some more reasons to dog on someone just because he plays in the FCS. I think most teams will look at Turner and not care that he is an FCS guy and look at what he can do for their team. Best of luck to Billy.

Don't even need your own draft website. I'm Bisonville's unofficial draft expert. I can't confirm that though.

56BISON73
01-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Don't even need your own draft website. I'm Bisonville's unofficial draft expert. I can't confirm that though.

Just wait for the text.

coloradobison
01-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Last day of practice in full pads plus a chance to show he can improve.

Didn't know last day with full pads...makes sense.

Bisonator98
01-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Wouldn't be shocked to hear Billy's name on day 1. He is very capable at tackle or guard which is a big plus. Every negative I've heard is minor and correctable. He will go high in the draft.

coloradobison
01-21-2014, 09:42 PM
re Turner: @ryanlownes
He's never seen athletes like Dee Ford and Chris Smith coming off the edge and it shows.

Hopefully Billy can adjust the rest of the week and show well in the last few practices and the game.

one more update
@shanephallam

North Dakota State OT Billy Turner had some higher points today, but still had some low lows. Still catching up to competition IMO

coloradobison
01-21-2014, 10:50 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24416286/senior-bowl-former-sec-defenders-ford-and-watkins-shine-on-tuesday

•Above I mentioned that Dee Ford had dominated North Dakota State OL Billy Turner on a few occasions, but overall, I was still impressed by the former Bison blocker. With Tennessee OT Ja'Wuan James out due to injury, Turner lined up primarily at right tackle throughout Tuesday's practice, despite showing better when he was at guard on Monday. He was beat a few times, but he also had his positive moments, especially when he could show off his natural feet and powerful punch. Once he learns to consistently bend and sink, Turner will be better suited for NFL rushers. He is well thought of in the NFL scouting community because of what the finished product could be with a little NFL coaching.

unbison
01-21-2014, 10:59 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24416286/senior-bowl-former-sec-defenders-ford-and-watkins-shine-on-tuesday•Above I mentioned that Dee Ford had dominated North Dakota State OL Billy Turner on a few occasions, but overall, I was still impressed by the former Bison blocker. With Tennessee OT Ja'Wuan James out due to injury, Turner lined up primarily at right tackle throughout Tuesday's practice, despite showing better when he was at guard on Monday. He was beat a few times, but he also had his positive moments, especially when he could show off his natural feet and powerful punch. Once he learns to consistently bend and sink, Turner will be better suited for NFL rushers. He is well thought of in the NFL scouting community because of what the finished product could be with a little NFL coaching.

Ok with this said does this speak to the superiority of coach Kramer .....and maybe that Fuchs didn't turn these guys into beasts?
Just asking since they are speaking to technique?

56BISON73
01-21-2014, 11:11 PM
•Above I mentioned that Dee Ford had dominated North Dakota State OL Billy Turner on a few occasions, but overall, I was still impressed by the former Bison blocker. With Tennessee OT Ja'Wuan James out due to injury, Turner lined up primarily at right tackle throughout Tuesday's practice, despite showing better when he was at guard on Monday. He was beat a few times, but he also had his positive moments, especially when he could show off his natural feet and powerful punch. Once he learns to consistently bend and sink, Turner will be better suited for NFL rushers. He is well thought of in the NFL scouting community because of what the finished product could be with a little NFL coaching.

Ok with this said does this speak to the superiority of coach Kramer .....and maybe that Fuchs didn't turn these guys into beasts?
Just asking since they are speaking to technique?

Interesting question. I think they are beasts for the competition they played against. Turners natural abilities will need to be worked on and technique refined to play on a regular basis in the NFL. Hes going to see exceptional players every day in the NFL. Not just once or twice a year.

ZHerd
01-21-2014, 11:27 PM
I'm ignorant on the technique stuff, but if there is all this technique that improves a linemans blocking so much then why is this stuff not taught and picked up in college?

CAS4127
01-21-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm ignorant on the technique stuff, but if there is all this technique that improves a linemans blocking so much then why is this stuff not taught and picked up in college?

Offensive line techniques may be some of the most difficult to imbed in a player, in that in order to consistently use the correct technique one needs repetition after repetition. To have that as an Olinemen you either have to have time to expose yourself to it again and again or go up against Dlinemen constantly. It's not as simple as peeps think. Billy will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisoningrandforks
01-21-2014, 11:34 PM
zherd........Im with you on this one and Im sure CAS knows the answer and a hand full of others......question.....why do some people I talk too say the big boys have better coaches then the FCS and they don't have to coach (the players) them up as much.....I say bull!.....

56BISON73
01-21-2014, 11:36 PM

Technique is refined as you move up to better competition. You dont get better until you practice against better competition. Thats one of the reasons why they want to see improvement everyday at these senior bowl games. Theres more to offensive line play than one would imagine.

CAS4127
01-21-2014, 11:39 PM
zherd........Im with you on this one and Im sure CAS knows the answer and a hand full of others......question.....why do some people I talk too say the big boys have better coaches then the FCS and they don't have to coach (the players) them up as much.....I say bull!.....

A majority of the big schools have former players who have played in the NFL and they either come back during summer and provide insight and or end up coaching at big schools. Hell, Tyrone Braxton came back to SU after his first year at Denver and taught some of us things. There are other reasons, but that is one. Plus the players at big schools see higher level of competition in practice and on Saturdays. If your technique is off, you will learn and adjust in a hurry or ride the pine.

56BISON73
01-21-2014, 11:42 PM

Because they see top notch competition EVERY weekend and in practice. Repetition against that quality of player makes a huge difference.

td577
01-21-2014, 11:42 PM

When you start looking at being drafted, the criticism starts to get pretty nitpicky. Just about every drafted player was fairly dominate in college and got away with not having to use some of the advanced techniques necessary to keep a job in the pros. 99% of the guys in college that are good enough to get drafted didn't need to get that pinpointed with technique, so why would you bother a kid with that much detail. Game plan, go over enough to get through the opponents weaknesses, and allow them to focus on the other things that are important, like schoolwork. Almost all linemen, for example, have many of the same criticisms from college scouts. If they need to get that detailed in the technique to have an advantage in college, there are probably a whole slew of other weaknesses that make them not so attractive to the NFL. Against most guys in college, linemen like Turner simply had to get a hand on them and they were out of the play. I think you pick and choose what you want to spend your time on with it being so valuable. If Turner is blowing guys up and out of a play with an NFL level weakness, I can't imagine wanting to spend a whole lot of time with that in college.

sbark
01-21-2014, 11:54 PM
needs enough reps that the nfl technique against NFL speed becomes instinctive.......

MN_BISON
01-21-2014, 11:57 PM
I have nothing to base this on really but I often wonder if some of these "experts" aren't in the pocket of agents. Pimp their guys and not others.

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2014, 11:58 PM
the big boys are miles ahead of the FCS as a whole, in everything. and if you get top ranked players on a yearly basis, those guys who play against them get better as well.

This is one of NDSU's best teams ever, and they might get 2 NFL players out of it. Your middle of the road and better FBS teams will get this yearly.

BisonNeil
01-22-2014, 12:23 AM
the big boys are miles ahead of the FCS as a whole, in everything. and if you get top ranked players on a yearly basis, those guys who play against them get better as well.

This is one of NDSU's best teams ever, and they might get 2 NFL players out of it. Your middle of the road and better FBS teams will get this yearly.

Just curious, what do call "middle of the road" FBS team? Can you give an example? Minnesota was 8-5 this year and could be "middle of the road" since they are above 50 in various polls. No way they get 2 NFL players every year. Maybe every other or so, but not every year.

3Putt
01-22-2014, 12:35 AM
Just curious, what do call "middle of the road" FBS team? Can you give an example? Minnesota was 8-5 this year and could be "middle of the road" since they are above 50 in various polls. No way they get 2 NFL players every year. Maybe every other or so, but not every year.

Since 2000 Minnesota has had 20 players drafted, none since 2010.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=M&collegeName=Minnesota&abbrFlag=0&type=school

BisonNeil
01-22-2014, 12:36 AM
Since 2000 Minnesota has had 20 players drafted, none since 2010.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=M&collegeName=Minnesota&abbrFlag=0&type=school

So, less than 2 per year then :D

MNLonghorn10
01-22-2014, 12:39 AM
So, less than 2 per year then :D
theres also years in there where they finished at the bottom of the B1G..so no NFLers :biggrin:

td577
01-22-2014, 12:45 AM

The goofers since 2000, have had 20 players drafted. The Bison have had 5. Currently playing in the NFL, the Bison have 5 and the goofers have 4. I do not claim any accuracy in those numbers, that was a 42 second internet search.

CAS4127
01-22-2014, 12:46 AM
Our last draft pick was 90-91 (Phil) right? Don't recall Gordon being drafted. And before that it was Braxton in 86-87.

thebigund
01-22-2014, 12:47 AM

They may end up with 2 first rounders this year.

td577
01-22-2014, 12:52 AM
Our last draft pick was 90-91 (Phil) right? Don't recall Gordon being drafted. And before that it was Braxton in 86-87.

Round Ovl Player Pos Team
7 242 Nick Schommer FS Tennessee Titans

6 200 Joe Mays LB Philadelphia Eagles

5 165 Rob Hunt C Indianapolis Colts

3 84 Lamar Gordon RB St. Louis Rams
7 213 Pete Campion G Carolina Panthers

CAS4127
01-22-2014, 12:57 AM
Round OvlPlayer PosTeam
7242Nick SchommerFSTennessee Titans

Round OvlPlayerPosTeam
6200Joe MaysLBPhiladelphia Eagles

Round OvlPlayerPosTeam
5165Rob HuntCIndianapolis Colts

Round OvlPlayer PosTeam
384Lamar GordonRBSt. Louis Rams
7213Pete CampionGCarolina Panthers

I guess I was a "little" off!! (Hide)

td577
01-22-2014, 01:13 AM
I guess I was a "little" off!! (Hide)

You would think someone would have archived old written scouting reports on the web but I can't find any 1989 pro draft scouting reports of LBers from NDSU. I also have found out that there have only been 2 4-time academic All-Americans and the other one is a bit more nationally prominent. That was from a 2007 guide, so I don't know if there has been any since.

So how would a young man know if he was NFL worthy in 1989? Would someone have to tell you? Would you just wait to see if you got drafted? How did that work?

CAS4127
01-22-2014, 01:51 AM
You would think someone would have archived old written scouting reports on the web but I can't find any 1989 pro draft scouting reports of LBers from NDSU. I also have found out that there have only been 2 4-time academic All-Americans and the other one is a bit more nationally prominent. That was from a 2007 guide, so I don't know if there has been any since.

So how would a young man know if he was NFL worthy in 1989? Would someone have to tell you? Would you just wait to see if you got drafted? How did that work?

There were NFL and CFL scouts back then too, but things were nothing like they are now in terms of agents and whatnot.

MAKBison
01-22-2014, 01:51 AM
Good discussion going...Just another blog I read mention BT as most underrated.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/01/the-good-bad-and-ugly-among-2014-draft-prospects/

56BISON73
01-22-2014, 02:10 AM

If they were looking at you they would let you know.

td577
01-22-2014, 02:12 AM
Good discussion going...Just another blog I read mention BT as most underrated.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/01/the-good-bad-and-ugly-among-2014-draft-prospects/

I have seen him on a lot of message boards as being underrated, but if his stock keeps going up, he won't be underrated for long.

Funny how over half the overrated guys are from the SEC. Yet, when you look at the nfl, something like 25% is from the SEC.

td577
01-22-2014, 02:18 AM
If they were looking at you they would let you know.

So my last thread drift question, for now. Did you have to sign up for the draft back in the day, or did they just draft you? I had a friend drafted by the NHL while we were still in high school, but while he knew they were looking at him, he didn't do anything to formally enter the draft, but of course, hockey is way different on how they retain rights. If you graduate college and used up all your eligibility in football, do you or did you have to do anything formal to be included in the draft?

I know you hear of underclassmen declaring themselves for the draft but do guys like Williams and Turner, for example, have to do anything?

kab1one
01-22-2014, 02:30 AM
From Espn Senior bowl notes

Give the Senior Bowl staff credit for putting offensive tackle Billy Turner on the South team. Why is that interesting? Turner helped North Dakota State win three consecutive FCS national titles. The Jaguars are coaching the South team and head coach Gus Bradley played and coached at North Dakota State. "We talked a little bit. There's a saying up there, once a Bison always a Bison," Turner said. "I don't know if it'll help me but it's kind of a connection. I think that my play on the field will help me the most." Turner certainly has the size to be an NFL tackle (6-5, 316 pounds) but he has struggled a bit adjusting to the speed on the edge. Defensive end Chris Smith (Arkansas) blew by him quite easily in 11-on-11.

full link
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation

GOBISON123
01-22-2014, 04:20 AM
From Espn Senior bowl notes

Give the Senior Bowl staff credit for putting offensive tackle Billy Turner on the South team. Why is that interesting? Turner helped North Dakota State win three consecutive FCS national titles. The Jaguars are coaching the South team and head coach Gus Bradley played and coached at North Dakota State. "We talked a little bit. There's a saying up there, once a Bison always a Bison," Turner said. "I don't know if it'll help me but it's kind of a connection. I think that my play on the field will help me the most." Turner certainly has the size to be an NFL tackle (6-5, 316 pounds) but he has struggled a bit adjusting to the speed on the edge. Defensive end Chris Smith (Arkansas) blew by him quite easily in 11-on-11.

full link
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation

Big Nasty Big Speed needs to Turnup. Boy those guys from the south are fast.

natstar1
01-22-2014, 05:21 AM
Wouldn't be shocked to hear Billy's name on day 1. He is very capable at tackle or guard which is a big plus. Every negative I've heard is minor and correctable. He will go high in the draft.
You realize there is only one round on day 1?

344Johnson
01-22-2014, 05:51 AM

You wouldn't be shocked to hear him go in the first round? Woof!

TILIS-BisonFan
01-22-2014, 06:09 AM
billy will go late 2nd to early 5th. lots of time. careful 344 i got ripped apart for saying woodside wouldnt be drafted. (i would be shocked in 1st)

reformedUNDfan
01-22-2014, 09:16 AM
I have seen him on a lot of message boards as being underrated, but if his stock keeps going up, he won't be underrated for long.

Funny how over half the overrated guys are from the SEC. Yet, when you look at the nfl, something like 25% is from the SEC.

I thought the ACC was still #1

unbison
01-22-2014, 11:54 AM
billy will go late 2nd to early 5th. lots of time. careful 344 i got ripped apart for saying woodside wouldnt be drafted. (i would be shocked in 1st)

We did get ripped apart for that....
If billy is really getting most of his criticism for technique.... And he is one of the best I have ever seen at ndsu makes me wonder what Fuchs was doing? As billy has all the athletic ability required ..... Obviously a team guy so where did it go wrong? I'm gonna say coach

SDbison
01-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Nice interview with Gus Bradley last night on ESPN's Senior Bowl update at 9:30. Gus would have been a great college head coach, but skipping that step and being a great head coach in the NFL must be ok with him.

Bisonator98
01-22-2014, 01:47 PM
You wouldn't be shocked to hear him go in the first round? Woof!

It all depends on who starts going off the board early. You have teams like Miami who need to upgrade their whole line. If other teams start taking olinemen early I could see him going in round 1. His versitility to play OT or OG is big. Needs to work on pass blocking speed rushers, that'll come with reps.

runtheoption
01-22-2014, 02:11 PM
If billy is really getting most of his criticism for technique.... And he is one of the best I have ever seen at ndsu makes me wonder what Fuchs was doing? As billy has all the athletic ability required ..... Obviously a team guy so where did it go wrong? I'm gonna say coach What went wrong? He was an a
All American, at the college level. He is now being critiqued at an NFL level. Nothing went wrong while at NDSU, either by Billy or Fuchs.

unbison
01-22-2014, 02:18 PM
What went wrong? He was an a
All American, at the college level. He is now being critiqued at an NFL level. Nothing went wrong while at NDSU, either by Billy or Fuchs.
we can disagree

thebigund
01-22-2014, 02:20 PM
You realize there is only one round on day 1?

If Cristian Ponders worthless ass can go 12th overall then why not someone who can actually play football?

Bisonator98
01-22-2014, 02:22 PM
If billy is really getting most of his criticism for technique.... And he is one of the best I have ever seen at ndsu makes me wonder what Fuchs was doing? As billy has all the athletic ability required ..... Obviously a team guy so where did it go wrong? I'm gonna say coach

Billy will be fine. He's had 2 days of practice against the best college has to offer. Relax people!

56BISON73
01-22-2014, 02:51 PM
What went wrong? He was an a

College coaches responsibility is to coach for the college level. Just like HS coaches coach for the HS level.

natstar1
01-22-2014, 05:24 PM
It all depends on who starts going off the board early. You have teams like Miami who need to upgrade their whole line. If other teams start taking olinemen early I could see him going in round 1. His versitility to play OT or OG is big. Needs to work on pass blocking speed rushers, that'll come with reps.
Maybe so, but I haven't seen anything that suggests Turner is a top ten T or G.

If Cristian Ponders worthless ass can go 12th overall then why not someone who can actually play football?
The position each plays has a lot to do with it.

NDSUstudent
01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
NBC Draft writer...

I think Billy Turner ends up in the second round. Brandon Thomas too. Big fan of both and they win in different ways.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/426068675435560960

SDbison
01-22-2014, 06:58 PM
NBC Draft writer...

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/426068675435560960 Wow, if this happens (2nd round pick) congrats to Billy Turner.

bison_by_blood
01-22-2014, 07:05 PM
we can disagree

You can if you want to sound ignorant. You're going to blame the coaches for making him into ONLY a second round pick? C'mon.

bisonmike2
01-22-2014, 07:10 PM
You can if you want to sound ignorant. You're going to blame the coaches for making him into ONLY a second round pick? C'mon.

He's not criticizing Fuchs for Billy being only a 2nd round pick. He's criticizing Fuchs because there is only 1 second round pick on that line.

unbison
01-22-2014, 07:22 PM

So one guy said he is a second round pick and now I'm ignorant for wondering why there are technique issues? Idk if I follow your logic?

coloradobison
01-22-2014, 07:28 PM
As has been stated in the thread before, everyone of the players is getting critiqued and has numerous strengths and weaknesses. Teams will decide if the weaknesses are fixable or not and will make a projection of what the believe a player will turn into thus determining the round grade. Everyone will have a different opinion and there will be 1000's of opinions between now and the draft.

As PL stated previously, HS coaches, College coaches and pro coaches all look for different things in technique, and I'm sure each coach has a slightly different way of teaching the same technique.

thebigund
01-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Maybe so, but I haven't seen anything that suggests Turner is a top ten T or G.

The position each plays has a lot to do with it.

LT is pretty damn important.

TransAmBison
01-22-2014, 07:36 PM
So one guy said he is a second round pick and now I'm ignorant for wondering why there are technique issues? Idk if I follow your logic?

Are you disputing your ignorance?

natstar1
01-22-2014, 07:41 PM
LT is pretty damn important.
True, it might be the 2nd most important position on the field, but it isn't anywhere near as important as your QB.

SamsRams
01-22-2014, 07:51 PM

Different positions might have something to do with it

reformedUNDfan
01-22-2014, 08:10 PM

everyone has technique issues in college, billy fewer than most.

DORMIE
01-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Billy was working at right guard today. The South team was on between 2:00 and 3:00.

bison_by_blood
01-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Because virtually everyone has technique "issues". If Billy was that naturally gifted he would have gone to Alabama. To not only imply coaching didn't help him get to where he is, but outright state that bad coaching held him back? Half the guys from Alabama or FSU have technique issues too. Perhaps their coaches also stink. IGNORANT.

unbison
01-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Because virtually everyone has technique "issues". If Billy was that naturally gifted he would have gone to Alabama. To not only imply coaching didn't help him get to where he is, but outright state that bad coaching held him back? Half the guys from Alabama or FSU have technique issues too. Perhaps their coaches also stink. IGNORANT.
If you were to look back I praised coach Kramer and questioned Fuchs .... Our opinions on coaches may very

CAS4127
01-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Josh Norris (@JoshNorris)
1/22/14, 1:07 PM
I think Billy Turner ends up in the second round. Brandon Thomas too. Big fan of both and they win in different ways.

Download the official Twitter app here

Sent from my iPhone

CAS4127
01-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Joe Buscaglia (@JoeBDraft)
1/22/14, 10:27 AM
I'm all in on OT Billy Turner from North Dakota State. Technique needs to be stabilized, but incredible athleticism and wants to bury people

Download the official Twitter app here

I can guarantee Fuchs taught BT the "bury" technique

Sent from my iPhone

unbison
01-22-2014, 09:53 PM
I have been telling anyone that would listen billy t will be the highest drafted bison for some time
C'mon purple pick that hometown kid

HerdBoy
01-22-2014, 10:26 PM
I have been telling anyone that would listen billy t will be the highest drafted bison for some time
C'mon purple pick that hometown kid

I think the purple needs a QB first.

natstar1
01-22-2014, 10:54 PM
I think the purple needs a QB first.
I don't think he's suggesting the Vikings take him with the 8th overall pick.

steelbison
01-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Unbison. Just an FYI. If you have followed the draft almost every player gets criticized That doesn't mean the player rec bad coaching. On ESPN they will list positives/negatives. Of each player

No player is perfect and Billy is no exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

EndZoneQB
01-22-2014, 11:26 PM
I knew Billy had the ability, but I was always skeptical about his mean streak. During the K-State game, I saw a different Billy Turner than I had seen in years previous - as good as he's been, he really took his game to the next level physically. His improvement from a high level to that next level has been key to his stock this year...like has been said so many times here, the scouts want to see you improve all the way through college and through the draft. It's all a projection anyway...

unbison
01-23-2014, 12:15 AM
Unbison. Just an FYI. If you have followed the draft almost every player gets criticized That doesn't mean the player rec bad coaching. On ESPN they will list positives/negatives. Of each player

No player is perfect and Billy is no exception. Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)
I am very aware everyone gets criticized I get it don't worry about it I was simply asking a question but heaven forbid I question the ability of any position coach that used to be at ndsu

NDSUstudent
01-23-2014, 01:50 AM
Scout's Eye: Mike Davis, Billy Turner Shine For South
Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout DallasCowboys.com

The player that I am most looking forward to studying when I arrived back in Dallas is North Dakota State offensive tackle Billy Turner.
I understand this club has not had a great history of drafting small school offensive linemen, but this player might be different. During the week, he lined up at left tackle, but he also got some work at guard as well.

I believe I would play him at right tackle and let him go to work from that position. The jump in competition did not look too much for him and his play was consistent throughout. He played with nice power in the running game and was able to get some good push off the snap. He showed good quickness, and once engaged, he worked to finish.

He was good on his cut off and reach blocks. His pass sets were good, but there were some reps where he needed to be a little quicker to get to the outside and get set up.

I think the quickness and speed of these defensive ends and linebackers surprised him a bit. The more reps he took, the better he played. It was good to see him get a look at guard and I am sure that is where he will get a look in Saturday's game as well.

At 6-5, 318, there is no doubt he has the size but just not the background. But this will be a great experience for him to have played in this game.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/Scouts-Eye-Mike-Davis-Billy-Turner-Shine-For-South/4cca79df-08df-44ef-ab4f-0a67c09edba3?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

ZHerd
01-23-2014, 02:14 AM
I was just checking out the vikings official site and they have all kinds of stuff on there and talk about both teams and give attention to the Gopher player but it felt like they avoided discussing the south O-line. I might be interpreting things incorrectly but they discussed everyone else local (seantrel Henderson etc.) except Turner. Feels like it was purposeful silence. I hope I'm wrong.

StL Bison Fan
01-23-2014, 02:20 AM
I was just checking out the vikings official site and they have all kinds of stuff on there and talk about both teams and give attention to the Gopher player but it felt like they avoided discussing the south O-line. I might be interpreting things incorrectly but they discussed everyone else local (seantrel Henderson etc.) except Turner. Feels like it was purposeful silence. I hope I'm wrong.
Billy has always been my favorite player on and off the turf (he volunteers at a local elementary school). As much as I would love to see him play close by and his dad played there, I'm not sure I would like to see him in the purple vortex of despair.

56BISON73
01-23-2014, 02:22 AM

We arent local to them. Even if its purposeful who cares. Their the goofs.

NDSUstudent
01-23-2014, 02:25 AM
The Cowboy's article I just posted is from somebody who has actually been heavily involved with running drafts and scouting with real NFL teams.

Some of these guys I kind of question but he is legit. Wobschall wrote the Vikings stuff, I've listened to him with PA and he is clueless.

SoCalBison
01-23-2014, 02:25 AM
Just watched the Em Diggy interview with Billy. Very thoughtful, well spoken young man. I wish him the very best and hope he gets what he wants out of this.

sbark
01-23-2014, 02:58 AM
Scout's Eye: Mike Davis, Billy Turner Shine For South
Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout DallasCowboys.com

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/Scouts-Eye-Mike-Davis-Billy-Turner-Shine-For-South/4cca79df-08df-44ef-ab4f-0a67c09edba3?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Seems as if Broadhaus forgets last yrs inductee into the NFL Hall of Fame Larry Allen of Sonoma State............He'd look great in blue and Silver with a Star on his Helmet

TILIS-BisonFan
01-23-2014, 03:32 AM
Billy turner next to Kyle long. ( meanest line in the nfl) Marcus as nickel corner in Chicago. Please please as a bears fan. The nfl scouts over analyze everything to minimize failure which is why I don't think he will be taken in the first. Should he I'm leaning yes

NDSUstudent
01-23-2014, 07:00 AM
2014 Senior Bowl: OLBs Attaochu, Van Noy step up to pressure
By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

On the offensive line, North Dakota State's Billy Turner enjoyed a nice bounce-back effort on Wednesday after struggling a bit with speed yesterday. Playing predominately inside at right guard (though also seeing some time at right tackle), the athletic small-schooler showed renewed aggression and strong hands to latch on and control defenders. Florida's Jon Halapio has also impressed with his physicality. Finally, Nevada's Joel Bitonio has quietly done a nice job rotating throughout the offensive line all week, as well.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24417284/senior-bowl-olbs-attaochu-van-noy-step-up-to-pressure

NDSUstudent
01-23-2014, 07:10 AM
Chiefs interview several players, plus other Senior Bowl observations
BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR

Turner told me the Chiefs talked to him about playing guard, and I’ve gotta be honest, I’m intrigued. Without seeing any film of the guy, he’s certainly an athletic player for his size, someone I can imagine running the Chiefs’ zone-blocking schemes. Looking forward to doing some film work on him.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/21/4765449/chiefs-interview-several-players.html#storylink=cpy

TAILG8R
01-23-2014, 07:37 PM
The Cowboy's article I just posted is from somebody who has actually been heavily involved with running drafts and scouting with real NFL teams.

Some of these guys I kind of question but he is legit. Wobschall wrote the Vikings stuff, I've listened to him with PA and he is a Vikings bobo.

FIFY - He is almost impossible to listen to.

Bisonator98
01-23-2014, 08:13 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/01/2014-nfl-draft-player-profiles-north-dakota-state-t-billy-turner/

westriver bison
01-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Billy at right tackle today with the first unit.

NDSU1980
01-23-2014, 09:01 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/01/2014-nfl-draft-player-profiles-north-dakota-state-t-billy-turner/
The way he played at North Dakota :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

EndZoneQB
01-23-2014, 11:33 PM
FIFY - He is almost impossible to listen to.

Not that I disagree, but he actually is an employee of the Vikings, I hope he's a Vikings bobo haha

ZHerd
01-23-2014, 11:45 PM

Wow! Really nice, in depth critique. Thanks for posting here.

Mayville Bison
01-24-2014, 01:14 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I hope the list of "Bads" followed by the "He has very few flaws in his game and the ones that exist are correctable. Of the reports I've written so far, he has the shortest list of negatives" sheds some light on the evaluation process. They are going to find flaws with everyone because that's their job. If everyone graded out at 100, they aren't doing their job well enough.

Trying to figure out which team I hate he will end up on.

ZHerd
01-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks for sharing this. I hope the list of "Bads" followed by the "He has very few flaws in his game and the ones that exist are correctable. Of the reports I've written so far, he has the shortest list of negatives" sheds some light on the evaluation process. They are going to find flaws with everyone because that's their job. If everyone graded out at 100, they aren't doing their job well enough.

Trying to figure out which team I hate he will end up on.

I'm good as long as its not the bears, packers or raiders. I'm disappointed with the Vikes web sight and writer, wobochal or whatever his name is. im convinced he is anti NDSU and pro gopher. I've read all kinds of stuff by team scouts on how interested they are in turner and he won't even give turner the slightest mention. I already perceived him as a delusional yes man but he has an obvious gopher bias as well. I'm done with that website.

unbison
01-24-2014, 04:36 PM
I'm good as long as its not the bears, packers or raiders. I'm disappointed with the Vikes web sight and writer, wobochal or whatever his name is. im convinced he is anti NDSU and pro gopher. I've read all kinds of stuff by team scouts on how interested they are in turner and he won't even give turner the slightest mention. I already perceived him as a delusional yes man but he has an obvious gopher bias as well. I'm done with that website.

You don't suppose it may be a intentional lack of mention?
Because there is more gamesmanship in the nfl draft then anywhere else

MankatoBison
01-24-2014, 04:56 PM

I can tell you from personal experiences that Woboscholl is a total moron haha

MN_BISON
01-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Look at number 46.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24418927/nfl-draft-prospects-top-50-draft-board-10

NDSUstudent
01-25-2014, 12:26 AM
Draft Twitter favorite Billy Turner is KILLING off film evaluations: 8.0 size score, 9.0 leadership, 9.0 experience. My scale is out of 9...

https://twitter.com/NFLDraftTracker/status/426848720009699328

Bison4peat
01-25-2014, 01:57 AM
Look at number 46.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24418927/nfl-draft-prospects-top-50-draft-board-10
If this happens I think it would be the highest draft pick ever for the Bison. I think Phil was #54.

thebigund
01-25-2014, 02:05 AM
Wasn't Robinson pretty high?

CAS4127
01-25-2014, 02:16 AM
Wasn't Robinson pretty high?

Round 2, #46. Died at age 50 in 2012. Friend. Please don't eff around with this.

Bisonator98
01-25-2014, 02:28 AM
Steve Nelson was #34.

thebigund
01-25-2014, 02:32 AM
Round 2, #46. Died at age 50 in 2012. Friend. Please don't eff around with this.

I know I like to rip on 99% of things but believe it or not I do have class and a soul. Some lines shan't be crossed

CAS4127
01-25-2014, 02:34 AM
I know I like to rip on 99% of things but believe it or not I do have class and a soul. Some lines shan't be crossed

Thank you-->appreciated.

Bison4peat
01-25-2014, 02:39 AM
Steve Nelson was #34.
Correct, Nelson #34 sorry about that. Predictions for Billy? Does #46 seem about right or to early to say?

Bison 4 Life
01-25-2014, 02:55 AM
Correct, Nelson #34 sorry about that. Predictions for Billy? Does #46 seem about right or to early to say?

That's middle of the 2nd rd so seems likely. Remember that Miami took a huge hit to their offensive line with the Richie Incognito stuff. They might be a buyer at 19 but that would be a stretch.

EndZoneQB
01-25-2014, 03:12 AM

All it takes is one team to fall in love with him. I'll withhold my predictions until I see him play tomorrow and see him at the combine. I think he can go anywhere from late first to early 3rd, but I think the latest will be mid-second. Just my feeling and how much talk there has been about him. A lot of times chatter about a guy builds his buzz as much, or more than his performance. Joe Flacco went to the NFL skills competition and threw like 77 yards in the wind and the buzz got him taken in the first round.

BisonNeil
01-25-2014, 02:53 PM
I see from the VikingAge.com website that they think Billy Turner would be a good addition for the Vikings at OG and that they think they can get him in the third or fourth round. I would post the link but the website sucks so bad it's an embarrassment.

MNLonghorn10
01-25-2014, 03:10 PM
I see from the VikingAge.com website that they think Billy Turner would be a good addition for the Vikings at OG and that they think they can get him in the third or fourth round. I would post the link but the website sucks so bad it's an embarrassment.

Turner on the Vikings would rock peoples faces. Whatever helps get rid of Brandon Fusco or Loadturd.

Rixen
01-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Turner on the Vikings would rock peoples faces. Whatever helps get rid of Brandon Fusco or Loadturd.

While I would love to get Billy Turner on the Vikes I would think their priority would be to get rid of Charlie Johnson at LG before Fusco and Loadholt on the right side.

MNLonghorn10
01-25-2014, 03:14 PM
While I would love to get Billy Turner on the Vikes I would think their priority would be to get rid of Charlie Johnson at LG before Fusco and Loadholt on the right side.
The thought crossed me while making that post too, believe me. Charlie Johnson is really bad.

Kalil & Turner on the left? Sounds good also.

ZHerd
01-25-2014, 03:35 PM

Everyone including Kalil struggled this season. I think they had poor coaching and conditioning. The entire team seemed to get worse as games went on. Hopefully the new guys will fix this. I kinda wonder though if the Vikes will ever give any NDSU guys a real shot. Turner was obviously purposefully ignored by the Vikes senior bowl coverage. The Vikes are a MN team as are the gophers. Shifting attention to NDSU shifts recruits, fan affections, and money out of state. They would not view us as a local team (even though we really are) because we are in a different state. ND is mainly Vikes country so ignoring NDSU players is tacky and foolish on their part imo. I hope I'm wrong because I would love seeing Bison players staying local in purple and gold. If I were the Vikes I would invite a bunch of our experienced, hard working winners to camp. Guy like Grothman and Shepherd may not get drafted but I could see them making an impact in an nfl game.

marenlee
01-25-2014, 03:39 PM

If they think they can get him in the 3rd or 4th I think they may be a little disappointed. I think his stock will just continue to go up especially after the combine.

natstar1
01-25-2014, 03:49 PM

From PFF:

Stud: Right tackle Phil Loadholt (+25.0) earned All-Pro honors in our eyes. He didn’t get the press he garnered last year as the team struggled but he remains the prototypical right tackle.

Dud: At this point in his career, Charlie Johnson (-5.4) might be best served in more of a utility linemen role. There are plenty of worse guards out there and if he’s the worst player on your line, you’re probably doing well.

Analysis: No doubt the team won’t be happy with how the left side performed with Matt Kalil suffering something of a sophomore slump. The good news is Brandon Fusco took a huge leap forward with his play to the point he was a legitimate All-Pro candidate. John Sullivan remains a quality center and whoever ends up coaching this unit can be happy with the talent they’ll be inheriting.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/4/

devin45k
01-25-2014, 03:50 PM
I don't want him playing for the vikings. I dont think he will get the best opportunity with them.

JMB
01-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Everyone including Kalil struggled this season. I think they had poor coaching and conditioning. The entire team seemed to get worse as games went on. Hopefully the new guys will fix this. I kinda wonder though if the Vikes will ever give any NDSU guys a real shot. Turner was obviously purposefully ignored by the Vikes senior bowl coverage. The Vikes are a MN team as are the gophers. Shifting attention to NDSU shifts recruits, fan affections, and money out of state. They would not view us as a local team (even though we really are) because we are in a different state. ND is mainly Vikes country so ignoring NDSU players is tacky and foolish on their part imo. I hope I'm wrong because I would love seeing Bison players staying local in purple and gold. If I were the Vikes I would invite a bunch of our experienced, hard working winners to camp. Guy like Grothman and Shepherd may not get drafted but I could see them making an impact in an nfl game.

I would be surprised if the Vikings give a crap where someone is from.... They are out to win, period. Now when it comes to tryouts for free agents would they show some local love just for the PR? Maybe. But for evaluation and draft picks, they couldn't really care less.

td577
01-25-2014, 03:54 PM

I have wondered about Grothmann. I don't think there are many guys out there willing to do what he does. I think he would need to put on another 10-15 pounds to be effective at the next level. With so many teams having that H-back to pull into the backfield, there aren't too many dedicated FB positions in the game anymore. As a blocker, putting him on the edge of the line would negate the size issue because he can take angles. There are only 15 or so FB jobs in the NFL and Grothmann is not even in the top ten for available FBs, so I am not sure there is a future there for him. The FBs in the league are all bigger and have a ton more experience. Most of them will also carry the ball once in a while. The Vikings are truly one of the only teams that uses a fullback similarly to how Grothmann could fit in and they have a H-back who grades out better as a FB than their pro-bowl FB. Not a lot of job openings out there.

natstar1
01-25-2014, 04:07 PM
I would be surprised if the Vikings give a crap where someone is from.... They are out to win, period.
+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SamsRams
01-25-2014, 05:48 PM
I would be surprised if the Vikings give a crap where someone is from.... They are out to win, period.

Do you have any documentation to prove they are out to win? I went and checked and unless Wiki is wrong, I notice they have never won the Super Bowl. Or by win do you mean just barely be above .500 and whenever they get lucky enough to make the playoffs that they make sure to piss it down their leg? Cause they do that kind of winning every year

unbison
01-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Butthurt lately..... Wow you make us all look bad to say it was a intentional diss to ndsu that they didn't cover billy is just insane ......I really don't even know what to say except wow

THEsocalledfan
01-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Butthurt lately..... Wow you make us all look bad to say it was a intentional diss to ndsu that they didn't cover billy is just insane ......I really don't even know what to say except wow

Agreed. Bad post.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

WRSDBison
01-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Is the game televised? I don't see it listed anywhere on our cable line-up

SamsRams
01-25-2014, 06:42 PM
nfl network

ZHerd
01-25-2014, 06:43 PM

Awwwww your poor Lil reputation. Why do you think it might not have been an intentional diss? If you read some of my reasoning on previous posts as to why I think it was intentional then feel free to explain why it so obviously wasn't. It isn't just based on this year either. Wobochal has, as I recall, gushed over Gopher players in previous seasons as well yet won't mention a guy other scouts are gushing over even, in one case, ranking as the 46th best player in the draft. I don't see how it is so far fetched and shameful to state that this may be the case.

WRSDBison
01-25-2014, 06:45 PM
nfl network

Great, I don't have that channel

THEsocalledfan
01-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Awwwww your poor Lil reputation. Why do you think it might not have been an intentional diss? If you read some of my reasoning on previous posts as to why I think it was intentional then feel free to explain why it so obviously wasn't. It isn't just based on this year either. Wobochal has, as I recall, gushed over Gopher players in previous seasons as well yet won't mention a guy other scouts are gushing over even, in one case, ranking as the 46th best player in the draft. I don't see how it is so far fetched and shameful to state that this may be the case.

It was a dumb post. Live with it. The Vikings want to win; if they think Billly would help, they would go after him. It is that simple.

ZHerd
01-25-2014, 07:18 PM
It was a dumb post. Live with it. The Vikings want to win; if they think Billly would help, they would go after him. It is that simple.

Haha ok. There is a guy on the Furman forum that has a quote on all posts that says something to the effect of "I didn't get to (some number in the thousands) ? number posts without saying some really stupid things." Guess ill be able to empathize ;)

unbison
01-25-2014, 07:18 PM
It is a Whiney bitch post if that's your take on the world then you should stand behind it

NDSUstudent
01-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Wobby is a hack but if I was writing about draft prospects I'd probably focus heavy on QB, LB and defensive back because that is where they need some serious help. I don't think it was intentional, I think I remember him posting a pic of Billy on twitter.