PDA

View Full Version : Gene Taylor @ 9:35 AM

RedRiver
12-09-2013, 02:06 PM
GT will be on with Joel H. at 9:30 AM today on 790 KFGO.

Bison Fin
12-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks, i decided to turn it on early and Ed Schultz is on speewing his garbage......ugh a shared stadium with und?? I think not

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Stadiums have to be on campus.....just ask Minnesota and Colorado State.....

StL Bison Fan
12-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks, i decided to turn it on early and Ed Schultz is on speewing his garbage......ugh a shared stadium with und?? I think not
But did I just hear him say we need to go higher? And take it to the next level. The sky's the limit and we should use surplus to do this?

thundarsdaddy
12-09-2013, 02:16 PM

no kidding!!! Ed Schultz?

Bison bison
12-09-2013, 02:19 PM
I think a shared stadium is a great idea.

Put it at the corner of I-29 and 19th Ave.

Let UND use it every fourth year when they play the Bison.

mnriverbison
12-09-2013, 02:19 PM

Funny thing is that during pre-game tailgate I loved CSU's stadium but all the ram fans were bitching endlessly about it. Pretty good foreshadowing for the game actually.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:20 PM

I'm ok with sharing with them. We locate is on/near NDSU campus and they get to play one game per year in it so long as they qualify for the FCS tournament and meet us in the playoffs. Otherwise they play in teh outhouse.

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2013, 02:21 PM
But did I just hear him say we need to go higher? And take it to the next level. The sky's the limit and we should use surplus to do this?

The only way that will happen is if the State kicks in about at least $12 to $15 million a year. I am not sure we will ever see that. There is just too much fighting between the schools in ND. Something that WYO does not have to face. Every legislator in WYO is a Cowboy fan. They would get voted out if they were not.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:22 PM

You really think Ed would have a problem with the spending of taxpayer money, especially in a state that he no longer lives in? (not trying to make this political, just stating his position on tax and spend policies)

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2013, 02:23 PM
You really think Ed would have a problem with the spending of taxpayer money, especially in a state that he no longer lives in? (not trying to make this political, just stating his position on tax and spend policies)

Its not like ND does not have the cash to do this. It is that the UND v NDSU politics get in the way.

aces1180
12-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Some of these people have the IQs of rats...

StL Bison Fan
12-09-2013, 02:24 PM
I was just shocked he would even give NDSU credit for anything

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Its not like ND does not have the cash to do this. It is that the UND v NDSU politics get in the way.

Oh, I agree 100% Just making the point about Schultz.

Civil06
12-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Some of these people have the IQs of rats...

Welcome to the Joel Heitkamp show...

thundarsdaddy
12-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the Joel Heitkamp show...

hahahahahahaha thanks for the laugh

MankatoBison
12-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Can someone write quick pertinent quotes from GT as its happening by any chance? I am in class and definitely cant be listening to the radio haha....

StL Bison Fan
12-09-2013, 02:30 PM
OMG JH bashing UN_ and the hockies coach

tjamz
Joel is actually being pretty fair this morning. Taking shots at Hakstol now (and UND athletics as a whole). Calling him a PrimaDonna. Talking about classiness of Bohl. How he was always approachable.

gotts
OMG JH bashing UN_ and the hockies coach

I was surprised to hear this.

Civil06
Joel just basically called Hakstol an arrogant, untouchable d-bag.

StL Bison Fan
12-09-2013, 02:31 PM
I was surprised to hear this.

But I bet you smiled...

gotts
12-09-2013, 02:31 PM
But I bet you smiled...

I didn't not smirk!

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:38 PM
GT talking about good relationship with Bohl. How difficult it is to see someone move on, but how lucky we are to have had him for the past 11 years.

Saturday was when GT was told about the position. GT and CB both talked about CB staying on as a coach and that CB asked to stay on as coach. Players had input.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Not sure who is leaving with CB. The other coaches are on contract through June (I thought I heard him say) 30th but I think it is January 30th.

thundarsdaddy
12-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Wondering if you have seen this already Wyo??

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Joels asks if more tools are needed to retain coaches.

GT says Bohl was paid at the top of the FCS as were the assistants. And we need to keep paying at the top to stay at the top.

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Wondering if you have seen this already Wyo??

Well......I sleep with the sister of the Associate AD that got the cash for the MN stadium and is getting the cash for the new CSU stadium...... ;)

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:42 PM
all of my comments are about the interview... not my opinions unless stated.

JH asks if now is the time to move up to FBS. GT says if we move up we need the money. Need state of ND to be behind us financially. Says we will always be at the top level we can afford to be at. Shakeup of FBS could potentially force NDSU up.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:43 PM
GT says we'd need a 25k to 30k stadium to be competitive in FBS.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Joel asks about GT potentially moving on.

GT says not necessarily looking, but you never know what may come up in the interest. Jokingly says Arizona State would be of interest if they came calling. He's backed away from some "higher level" jobs in the past few years. Talks about his kids being in HS & NDSU and why he'd want to stay here.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Asks about the social media leak... how can that be fixed.

GT says CB had already planned on telling the team first thing Sunday morning. GT Says he should have called the team back in on Saturday evening and let them know before it leaked. GT takes full responsibility for not pushing it sooner.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:48 PM
GT admits he has names of candidates (internal and external) and is looking for the next coach. Talks about emergency hires externally and how it can be expedited. Internal can happen rapidly.

runtheoption
12-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Taylor saying he should have had Bohl call the players together on Saturday night, instead of waiting until the meeting Sunday morning to break the news to the players. Taylor is blaming himself for the way the players found out.

My addition -- All those questioning Bohl's integrity can now STFU. Truly, STFU.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Taylor saying he should have had Bohl call the players together on Saturday night, instead of waiting until the meeting Sunday morning to break the news to the players. Taylor is blaming himself for the way the players found out.

My addition -- All those questioning Bohl's integrity can now STFU. Truly, STFU.

Agreed wholeheartedly!

Bison Fin
12-09-2013, 02:49 PM
We can squeeze 10k more in the fargodome! Get rid of the chairs and put in benches! All those armrests are taking up way too much room!

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Asked how much of an effect this will have on playoff run.

GT says there were mixed emotions yesterday, but he feels this team can overcome those emotions and come together and get through the playoffs.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:51 PM
<end of interview> talking about the weather now. Slightly warmer on tuesday, slight snow.... oh wait...

EightyfourBison
12-09-2013, 02:51 PM
We can squeeze 10k more in the fargodome! Get rid of the chairs and put in benches! All those armrests are taking up way too much room!

Take everything out, just put in railings so we don't roll down to the front row!!

NDSU '96
12-09-2013, 02:53 PM

Taylor is in no position to have Bohl do anything. Bohl is setting the agenda here.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:54 PM

Let's put about 3000 of these up in the rafters and sell access to the catwalks! http://www.adventureshoppe.com/images/fall%20arrest%20harness.jpg

Professor Chaos
12-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Taylor is in no position to have Bohl do anything. Bohl is setting the agenda here.
It was Taylor and the players that made the decision to allow Bohl to continue coaching the team.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 02:56 PM

GT said he and CB talked about how to handle it right after the game on Saturday. Since there were very limited numbers of people who knew about it they thought they could get away with waiting until Sunday morning. In hindsight a poor decision was made by both and GT takes full responsibility for not pushing the issue harder.... I'm sure CB feels the same way now.

aces1180
12-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Lakes...Nice work!

Bison"FANatic"
12-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Your leaving out the part where Taylor said it was Bohls decision when to tell the team and that Gene didn't push it from there. (He now wishes he would have) Bohl didn't think anyone would leak it as very few knew.

My take is unfortunately Wyoming couldn't keep their Pie hole shut for another 12 hours and allow their new coach the time to let it get out on his schedule. They will learn and learn fast because if there is anything that Bohl does and does well it is control what is let out about the program in the media. Wyoming better of learned that or there could be a few very long discussions and a few very short answers to the media.

Bison Fin
12-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Take everything out, just put in railings so we don't roll down to the front row!!

Or we start selling beer in the fargodome, all beer profits go towards a new stadium! If we can make 50 cents a beer, it would only take 40 million beers to make 20 million dollars! C'mon guys, lets party!

Civil06
12-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Let's put about 3000 of these up in the rafters and sell access to the catwalks! http://www.adventureshoppe.com/images/fall%20arrest%20harness.jpg

That was TheBisonator's vision: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/Cartoon1copy.jpg

RIP N8r

NDSU '96
12-09-2013, 03:04 PM
It was Taylor and the players that made the decision to allow Bohl to continue coaching the team.If there were a viable interim candidate, he would be the coach right now. Keeping Bohl is the best of bad options.

Also, Gene is delusional if these "assurances" about being focused on NDSU mean a damn thing. Wyoming didn't give him that coin for him to begin recruiting with a month left to signing day.

Kermit
12-09-2013, 03:05 PM
It was Taylor and the players that made the decision to allow Bohl to continue coaching the team.

Gene said the players had INPUT. I don't think there were great alternatives. If one of the current coordinators was prepared to accept the HC position, I think Bohl would be gone.

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Gene said the players had INPUT. I don't think there were great alternatives. If one of the current coordinators was prepared to accept the HC position, I think Bohl would be gone.

I agree. That is why I think they are heading to WYO. No one from Bohl to Taylor want to let that out publicly yet.

GradBison

Thinking along these lines as well. GT did say that he'd like to visit with "the couple of internal candidates" so maybe not completely out of the question, but highly unlikely.

I like your thoughts on Hazelton as well.

DIBISON
Assistant coaches are under contract through June 30. GT said he has not had discussions as of yet with any internal staff about the HC position.

runtheoption
12-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Your leaving out the part where Taylor said it was Bohls decision when to tell the team and that Gene didn't push it from there. (He now wishes he would have) Bohl didn't think anyone would leak it as very few knew.
Which changes nothing of what I said.

IBleedYellow
12-09-2013, 03:12 PM
If Bohl would have been gone we wouldn't have had any coaches on the sidelines right now and would be hosed...

We need to accept the fact that Coach Bohl knows he could/would have totally screwed over the Seniors that he cares for very much and probably bargained in his deal with Wyoming that HE coaches those players if they (the players) will allow him to. Wyoming seemed VERY pro NDSU yesterday and realized that Bohl has a job to finish.

PLUS: Your brand new coach could come in saying "My last gig I was at I brought a team from DII to FCS and then won Three Titles Back to back to back, what do you think I plan on doing here."

Kermit
12-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Assistant coaches are under contract through June 30. GT said he has not had discussions as of yet with any internal staff about the HC position.

Dohkay. Maybe he is working through their agents. ;)

And Bohl is under contract for 7 more years.

NDSU '96
12-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Assistant coaches are under contract through June 30. GT said he has not had discussions as of yet with any internal staff about the HC position.Really? And Gene does what exactly when Vigen and Klieman report to Laramie in January?

Gene has no power here.

BisonCountry
12-09-2013, 03:14 PM
If there were a viable interim candidate, he would be the coach right now. Keeping Bohl is the best of bad options.

Also, Gene is delusional if these "assurances" about being focused on NDSU mean a damn thing. Wyoming didn't give him that coin for him to begin recruiting with a month left to signing day.

Dec. 16 - Jan. 15 is the recruiting dead period were no in person contact can be made with recruits. He will have to do most of his recruiting the last month before signing day for Wyo regardless. I'm not worried about his dedication to this team from now until Jan. 4th.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2013, 03:14 PM
If Bohl would have been gone we wouldn't have had any coaches on the sidelines right now and would be hosed...

We need to accept the fact that Coach Bohl knows he could/would have totally screwed over the Seniors that he cares for very much and probably bargained in his deal with Wyoming that HE coaches those players if they will allow him to. Wyoming seemed VERY pro NDSU yesterday and realized that Bohl has a job to finish.

PLUS: Your brand new coach could come in saying "My last gig I was at I brought a team from DII to FCS and then won Three Titles Back to back to back, what do you think I plan on doing here."

I don't think it would play well in Wyoming if Bohl had just bailed on NDSU and let the playoff run collapse. WYO has an interest in bringing in a coach with integrity and class. By WYO saying Bohl needs to finish the run at NDSU, the Cowboys preserve that.

NDSU '96
12-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Dec. 16 - Jan. 15 is the recruiting dead period were no in person contact can be made with recruits. He will have to do most of his recruiting the last month before signing day for Wyo regardless. I'm not worried about his dedication to this team from now until Jan. 4th.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TapatalkI haven't made an in person contact with a customer since 1997, yet I'm still in business. I hope you get my point.

GradBison
12-09-2013, 03:16 PM
I don't think it would play well in Wyoming if Bohl had just bailed on NDSU and let the playoff run collapse. WYO has an interest in bringing in a coach with integrity and class. By WYO saying Bohl needs to finish the run at NDSU, the Cowboys preserve that.

Very classy move by both Bohl and UWyo.

runtheoption
12-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Taylor is in no position to have Bohl do anything. Bohl is setting the agenda here.Did you even listen to the interview? Are you saying Taylor is full of crap? They (Taylor and Bohl) discussed when to tell the players, and they (Taylor and Bohl) decided Sunday morning. Taylor said he should have had Bohl do it Saturday night. So you don't think Taylor could make Bohl do that? I don't get where you are coming from. Also, as tjamz stated, CB FLAT OUT ASKED Taylor if he can finish the season here.

IBleedYellow
12-09-2013, 03:17 PM

This man:

Did you watch the presser and listen to what Tom said?? I could tell that they want a coach that has integrity, and if Coach Bohl would have just walked away from the guys I think that would have been a huge red flag to them. We need to be thankful for Wyoming for acting so professional in this manner and wanting the coach to finish what he started, not saying Bohl wouldn't have wanted to anyway.

TransAmBison
12-09-2013, 03:17 PM
This very well may be correct, but I just don't think Gene Taylor works that way. He is not a knee-jerk reaction type guy. This is a huge decision that needs a little time to think over. He said there are a couple potential candidates in house as well as a short list of guys he looked up. Gene is pondering this and will now discuss ideas with the pres. My prediction is a new HC gets announced this week. I will go further to predict Vigen gets it. My wish list in order for HC is:

1. Vigen
2. Klieman
3. Hazelton

If the hire is not made this week, I'm guessing it is Hazelton.

NDSU '96
12-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Did you even listen to the interview? Are you saying Taylor is full of crap? They (Taylor and Bohl) discussed when to tell the players, and they (Taylor and Bohl) decided Sunday morning. Taylor said he should have had Bohl do it Saturday night. So you don't think Taylor could make Bohl do that? I don't get where you are coming from. Also, as tjamz stated, CB FLAT OUT ASKED Taylor if he can finish the season here.Short answer: Nope

Kermit
12-09-2013, 03:23 PM
This very well may be correct, but I just don't think Gene Taylor works that way. He is not a knee-jerk reaction type guy. This is a huge decision that needs a little time to think over. He said there are a couple potential candidates in house as well as a short list of guys he looked up. Gene is pondering this and will now discuss ideas with the pres. My prediction is a new HC gets announced this week. I will go further to predict Vigen gets it. My wish list in order for HC is:

1. Vigen
2. Klieman
3. Hazelton

I understand. Gene's list may be similar to yours. I just think that #3 is now, or will soon be #1.

westnodak93bison
12-09-2013, 03:25 PM
I understand. Gene's list may be similar to yours. I just think that #3 is now, or will soon be #1.

Any idea what Hazelton makes at Nevada?

Kermit
12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Any idea what Hazelton makes at Nevada?
Hazelton's base is a little over $157,000. Total is probably over 200k.
http://blogs.rgj.com/packblog/2013/02/25/pack-football-staff-gets-9-percent-salary-increase-in-shift-from-ault-to-polian/

BYZEN
12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
I think Hazelton would be a great fit for the job. If Vigen or Klieman takes the job then I think they would step up this week.

MN_BISON
12-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Lakes...Nice work!

I missed the interview, what did he say?

Professor Chaos
12-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Agreed but I think Wyoming knew what forcing Bohl's hand would do if he did accept the position and it wasn't good for NDSU. With the recruiting dead period fast approaching I think it would've been Bohl's preference to wait until NDSU's season was over to make a decision but Wyoming forced his hand and rightly so. They couldn't wait around for him to make a decision while their other targets were moving on elsewhere. Once they had his name on the dotted line, they knew that NDSU was in a very tough position and empathized with that to support Bohl and NDSU in whatever decision they made going forward. It helps that Wyoming is not a destination job, they know how much it hurts to lose a coach that they want to keep.

Bison"FANatic"
12-09-2013, 03:30 PM
I haven't made an in person contact with a customer since 1997, yet I'm still in business. I hope you get my point.

They get very very limited contact by phone and such and absolutely no personal contact until January 15. Recruiting is severely limited during the last half of December and beginning of January at the Bowl level, it is a little different at the FCS level.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/recruiting+calendars/division+i/bowl+subdivision+football+color

BisonNation11
12-09-2013, 03:34 PM

1. Vigen
2. Klieman
3. Hazelton

I agree, but list is Klieman 1st, Hazelton 2nd, Vigen 3rd. The longer it takes, the better Hazelton looks. I want a defensive-minded HC.

NDSU '96
12-09-2013, 03:36 PM
They get very very limited contact by phone and such and absolutely no personal contact until January 15. Recruiting is severely limited during the last half of December and beginning of January at the Bowl level, it is a little different at the FCS level.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/recruiting+calendars/division+i/bowl+subdivision+football+colorPoint taken. So I'll move that further down the extensive list of things that are a distraction in this scenario which GT has no power to control.

bisonmike2
12-09-2013, 03:37 PM
So can anyone actually talk about what Gene Taylor said this morning at 9:35?

onbison09
Don't crucify me here but Nevada's defense was pretty bad this year. That raise any red flags to anyone?

moosbah
The clear choice for the new coach is Gus Bradley. He would be taking a step up in class of job.

kab1one
12-09-2013, 03:39 PM
I haven't made an in person contact with a customer since 1997, yet I'm still in business. I hope you get my point.

You can't be calling on coaches or player's agents?

kab1one
12-09-2013, 03:40 PM
I agree, but list is Klieman 1st, Hazelton 2nd, Vigen 3rd. The longer it takes, the better Hazelton looks. I want a defensive-minded HC.

Didn't Bisonville want Vigen gone 2 years ago?

NDSU '96
12-09-2013, 03:41 PM
You can't be calling on coaches or player's agents?Especially for a one month period of time, there are other means of communication to influence people these days other than in person.

kab1one
12-09-2013, 03:41 PM

1. Vigen
2. Klieman
3. Hazelton

How does anybody on this board know how Gene Taylor thinks? Bisonville was 100% convinced that Bohl wouldn't leave, because his wife was from here and his kid played at MSUM as main reasons for staying. Hell Bohl left his kid when was 10 years old to come to Fargo, why stay now.

bisonmike2
12-09-2013, 03:43 PM

More like 3 but yeah. Winning makes for short memories. I'm fine with Vigen. He's an NDSU guy through and through but I would put Klieman first on my list. Coached under both Bohl and Farley. He knows the MVFC inside and out. This dude understands how to win in the Valley. And isn't the rumor that Vigen already turned down the offer and is off to Wyo?

kab1one
12-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Especially for a one month period of time, there are other means of communication to influence people these days other than in person.

Yeah, you can't talk to the recruits, but you can talk to their HS coaches. Hi, I am new Wyoming Coach, here is my portfolio from my last job. See national championships, see ESPN gameday. So Bohl could be in contact with those that are part of the process.

No different than the assistants working their new recruiting channels.

HerdBot
12-09-2013, 03:46 PM

1) Todd wash
2) klieman
3) vigen
4) Hazelton

NDSU '96
12-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Yeah, you can't talk to the recruits, but you can talk to their HS coaches. Hi, I am new Wyoming Coach, here is my portfolio from my last job. See national championships, see ESPN gameday. So Bohl could be in contact with those that are part of the process.

No different than the assistants working their new recruiting channels.It's all part of the distraction...why I said earlier this is the best of bad options.

kab1one
More like 3 but yeah. Winning makes for short memories. I'm fine with Vigen. He's an NDSU guy through and through but I would put Klieman first on my list. Coached under both Bohl and Farley. He knows the MVFC inside and out. This dude understands how to win in the Valley. And isn't the rumor that Vigen already turned down the offer and is off to Wyo?

You know my problem with the NDSU guy through and through comment is we went through that with Rocky. It almost seemed like he was untouchable as he was one of us.

If you look at corporate America, you look at other college sports program, bringing someone from the outside isn't a bad thing. No different than what was done 11 years ago when CB was brought in.

Anyways, that is for someone at a higher pay grade to decide.

onbison09

No different than the assistants working their new recruiting channels.
When I made highlight DVDs for my high school team in Texas many coaches would stop by to see people and just say "Hi". Literally that's it. (I actually met Ken Norton Jr).

TransAmBison
How does anybody on this board know how Gene Taylor thinks? Bisonville was 100% convinced that Bohl wouldn't leave, because his wife was from here and his kid played at MSUM as main reasons for staying. Hell Bohl left his kid when was 10 years old to come to Fargo, why stay now.Just going with past precedents. Gene lets the dust settle, but will not draw out long...

moosbah
How does anybody on this board know how Gene Taylor thinks? Bisonville was 100% convinced that Bohl wouldn't leave, because his wife was from here and his kid played at MSUM as main reasons for staying. Hell Bohl left his kid when was 10 years old to come to Fargo, why stay now.

RTO shops with Mrs. Taylor and therefore he knows.

scbison91
12-09-2013, 03:48 PM
The only way that will happen is if the State kicks in about at least $12 to $15 million a year. I am not sure we will ever see that. There is just too much fighting between the schools in ND. Something that WYO does not have to face. Every legislator in WYO is a Cowboy fan. They would get voted out if they were not.

We should have set up like Minnesota, Nebraska, Wyoming when ND became a state.. Land Grant and Universtiy in one place

MNLonghorn10
12-09-2013, 03:49 PM

Do you remember vigens play calling 3 years ago?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

heckler
12-09-2013, 03:49 PM

I'm ok if vigen hit the road.

I agree with many people that if a coordinator was offered a job and acceptes it coach bohl would not be here. It will come from outside of ndsu.

runtheoption
12-09-2013, 03:51 PM
RTO shops with Mrs. Taylor and therefore he knows. She's got credit in every boutique joint in the RRV. Gene gets so mad at us when we burn through a couple thousand $$ on a Saturday afternoon.

This one time, in Albertville...

BisonTeacher
12-09-2013, 03:51 PM
but I would put Klieman first on my list. Coached under both Bohl and Farley. He knows the MVFC inside and out. This dude understands how to win in the Valley.

This....

I would rather have a defensive minded head coach than an offensive minded one.

bisonmike2
12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
So did Gene actually say anything during the interview today or not?

moosbah
12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
She's got credit in every boutique joint in the RRV. Gene gets so mad at us when we burn through a couple thousand $$ on a Saturday afternoon.

This one time, in Albertville...

I think the real reason Bohl is leaving is due to the fact he's more of an autumn and brown and yellow really make his eyes pop.

marenlee
12-09-2013, 03:53 PM
So did Gene actually say anything during the interview today or not?

You might want to scroll back a few pages.

HerdBot
12-09-2013, 03:54 PM

No a few posters did and they are being ridiculed for it to this day

runtheoption
12-09-2013, 03:54 PM
So did Gene actually say anything during the interview today or not?Go back to earlier in this thread, and read through tjamz posts. He did a good job of a play-by-play summary.

bisonmike2
12-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Go back to earlier in this thread, and read through tjamz posts. He did a good job of a play-by-play summary.
Thanks. I somehow missed his post the first time I went through this thread.

kab1one
12-09-2013, 03:55 PM
It's interesting, but it all goes back to the money. NDSU while has improved funding for athletics, has a long long ways to go until its able to participate at a higher level.

Money difference between NDSU and Wyoming was shocking.

kab1one
12-09-2013, 03:57 PM
No a few posters did and they are being ridiculed for it to this day

It was more than a few.

thundarsdaddy
12-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Go back to earlier in this thread, and read through tjamz posts. He did a good job of a play-by-play summary.

There were NO my-oh-my's tho?

HerdBot
12-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Klieman is perfect. Good personality for the job too. He knows what it takes to win. I would offer him more than Bohl. Then I would offer Standard big money for the DC role. He has experience at Tulane as a DC. Offer Polasek or Fuchs as OC. It would take good money to pull it off.

TransAmBison
12-09-2013, 04:01 PM
I've gotten to hear quite a few inside stories about Vigen...and all of them make Vigen look better and better. Vigen is an extremely intelligent person...a greater football mind than I think any here know. I just think having one of the two current coordinators will be best for keeping incoming recruits, and for continuing the philosophy that has worked. Hazelton's only drawback for me is the incoming recruits will not know about him.

kab1one
12-09-2013, 04:06 PM
In reality CB didn't get a 3 or 4 times pay raise it is much more.

Think about it. In Fargo, he made $300k, (I using round numbers, easier math), after taxes, nets, $200k, spends $100k, banks $100k.

Moves to Laramie. Makes $1,000,000. Nets $700k after taxes (no state tax), cost of living isn't going to be much more in Laramie, spends the same $100k, banks $600k.

That is real wealth generation for CB. Its not what you make, its what you save.

runtheoption
12-09-2013, 04:07 PM

You see? You see? He's not a Scotty Miller, he's a man, he's a man.

Gully
12-09-2013, 04:08 PM
I've gotten to hear quite a few inside stories about Vigen...and all of them make Vigen look better and better. Vigen is an extremely intelligent person...a greater football mind than I think any here know. I just think having one of the two current coordinators will be best for keeping incoming recruits, and for continuing the philosophy that has worked. Hazelton's only drawback for me is the incoming recruits will not know about him.

I think Vigen is a great guy and would make an excellent head coach. People are saying that he's leaving with Bohl so he may not be an option. To me, best case would be to come out and announce him as head coach. Holding out some hope for that, but it won't happen if the rumors are true (and I have no idea if they are or not).

bisonmike2
12-09-2013, 04:08 PM
In reality CB didn't get a 3 or 4 times pay raise it is much more.

Think about it. In Fargo, he made $300k, (I using round numbers, easier math), after taxes, nets, $200k, spends $100k, banks $100k.

Moves to Laramie. Makes $1,000,000. Nets $700k after taxes (no state tax), cost of living isn't going to be much more in Laramie, spends the same $100k, banks $600k.

That is real wealth generation for CB. Its not what you make, its what you save.

Yeah but is there a Strauss Clothing in Wyoming? He's going to be blowing all that cash on shipping suits out to him or bringing in his guy from Strauss on a private jet. Unless he wants to go full cowboy and get a clothing deal with Cowboy Emporium.

Bison Gal
12-09-2013, 04:10 PM

I agree......Klieman or Hazelton top choices.......

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2013, 04:11 PM
I agree......Klieman or Hazelton top choices.......

I would be pretty happy with that as well.

kab1one
12-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Yeah but is there a Strauss Clothing in Wyoming? He's going to be blowing all that cash on shipping suits out to him or bringing in his guy from Strauss on a private jet. Unless he wants to go full cowboy and get a clothing deal with Cowboy Emporium.

When he flies back to visit the family in Fargo he can pick them up.

Down town Denver has nice clothes.

Ariat cowboy boots are pretty comfortable, he can run onto the field in them.

moosbah
12-09-2013, 04:13 PM

He'll rock a Laramie tuxedo. Shit kickers, cowboy hat and plaid shirt.

kab1one
12-09-2013, 04:15 PM
So at the end of day, if Bison win national championship will anyone care that he leaves?

The cupboard's not bare, its a top 10 program FCS program due to its funding and commitment going forward.

The only reason any one will be ticked off 6 months from now is if they don't win.

And the reality is, they might not of won anyways. What if the circle of life with EWU turns out we lose to them in the championship game, versus beat them.

natstar1
12-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Klieman is perfect. Good personality for the job too. He knows what it takes to win. I would offer him more than Bohl. Then I would offer Standard big money for the DC role. He has experience at Tulane as a DC. Offer Polasek or Fuchs as OC. It would take good money to pull it off.
After you hire the HC isn't he mainly in charge of hiring his staff?

moosbah
12-09-2013, 04:21 PM
So at the end of day, if Bison win national championship will anyone care that he leaves?

The cupboard's not bare, its a top 10 program FCS program due to its funding and commitment going forward.

The only reason any one will be ticked off 6 months from now is if they don't win.

And the reality is, they might not of won anyways. What if the circle of life with EWU turns out we lose to them in the championship game, versus beat them.

I think a true fan will care if he leaves no matter what, because we are losing a great advocate for NDSU and a good person. I'm guessing most of our long standing fans will wish him all the best regardless of how this season ends on the field.

kab1one
12-09-2013, 04:26 PM
I think a true fan will care if he leaves no matter what, because we are losing a great advocate for NDSU and a good person. I'm guessing most of our long standing fans will wish him all the best regardless of how this season ends on the field.

True fans yes, but the large number that this has become their life will be pissed if we don't win.

I know I lived in Denver in the early 90's domestic's went three fold on days of Bronco losses, wonder what the Police calls were life on Saturday night when the news broke.

But yes, the majority are happen for him, not six months from now, but today. The program is definitely in a better place than 11 years ago, and that is all you can ask from anyone.

StL Bison Fan
12-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Just my opinion but as I said in another post I think the stakes just went up for these coaches. Wy hired a winner.
Do they want the guy who won 3 championships in a row or the guy who almost did? Also if I'm a parent of a recuruit, do I want the guy who bailed on someone's kid during the playoffs telling me he'll take care of my kid?
Wy wanted integrity and winning during this is how they get it.
That press conference was very telling for me. The body language was telling me that here was a guy doing something he really didn't want to do, but for whatever reason felt he had to.
Gene impressed me today. The buck stops with him. He doesn't blame. We are lucky he's here

mnriverbison
12-09-2013, 04:30 PM
But yes, the majority are happen for him, not six months from now, but today. The program is definitely in a better place than 11 years ago, and that is all you can ask from anyone.

Exactly. It would have been nice if Bohl was our Eddie Robinson or John Gagliardi, but that was always fantasy. On top of losing that illusion we have lost the illusion that NDSU is a better job than a low-level FBS job. It sucks, but it isn't Bohl's fault.

Kujava23
12-09-2013, 04:30 PM

Yes, I really think should be aggressive to sign Brent Vigen as the next Bison Head Coach. I know it will be difficult but that is who I feel would be best.

kab1one
12-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Exactly. It would have been nice if Bohl was our Eddie Robinson or John Gagliardi, but that was always fantasy. On top of losing that illusion we have lost the illusion that NDSU is a better job than a low-level FBS job. It sucks, but it isn't Bohl's fault.

This is so true, we think we have the greatest fan base, the greatest tail gating, we are a top 25 fbs program from a competitive standpoint. We what we have is very very cool for Fargo, but we are a stepping stone. Nothing wrong with that. But we are not big time.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 04:36 PM
So can anyone actually talk about what Gene Taylor said this morning at 9:35?

I think I summed up every question/response that happened between he and JH.

runtheoption
12-09-2013, 04:44 PM
I know I lived in Denver in the early 90's domestic's went three fold on days of Bronco losses, wonder what the Police calls were life on Saturday night when the news broke.

My wife kicks my butt every time we get home from a Bison game, win or lose. She's always mumbling something about "why aren't you more like Herd Mentality, Gully, TAB, (insert Bisonville user name here)." It's rather hurtful. Not the words part...words don't hurt. It's the brass knuckles and the old 8-ball crammed into my mouth that hurts.

tjamz
12-09-2013, 04:46 PM
RTO shops with Mrs. Taylor and therefore he knows.

I always thought that Leah, Mrs Taylor and RTO had the same style manicure. Makes sense now!

tjamz
12-09-2013, 04:49 PM

I'm no Scott Miller. What can I say?

MankatoBison
12-09-2013, 04:55 PM

Correct haha... My how things have changed

tony
12-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Correct haha... My how things have changed

Well, you can always find somebody on Bisonville with an opinion but, I admit, the Coach Vigen doubters were loud and numerous - it wasn't universal though (has anything on Bisonville ever had more than 75% agreement?)

stevdock
12-09-2013, 05:02 PM

You're right it's not Bohl's fault but I routinely wonder about a certain question even with all of our success. Did we hire the right guy 11 years ago?? If we would have hired Casey Bradley instead would we have the same success and/or would he be that lifer that you were talking about?? Not a fair question to ask anymore, but I think it's an interesting one.

runtheoption
12-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Well, you can always find somebody on Bisonville with an opinion but, I admit, the Coach Vigen doubters were loud and numerous - it wasn't universal though (has anything on Bisonville ever had more than 75% agreement?) Not true...you are wrong.

TransAmBison
12-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Not true...you are wrong.I'd like to know both of your sources. Please cite a link otherwise I will not believe it.

bisonmike2
12-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Not true...you are wrong.
I disagree, I think he's right!

56BISON73
12-09-2013, 05:15 PM
You know my problem with the NDSU guy through and through comment is we went through that with Rocky. It almost seemed like he was untouchable as he was one of us.

If you look at corporate America, you look at other college sports program, bringing someone from the outside isn't a bad thing. No different than what was done 11 years ago when CB was brought in.

Anyways, that is for someone at a higher pay grade to decide.

They wouldnt bring some one in just because hes a Bison. They would bring him in because he is an ACCOMPLISHED Bison and passed the interview. There are quite a few accomplished Bison out there right now. The question is is the HC position their dream job or are they looking higher?

AjaxTheMighty
12-09-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm still not a big Vigen fan. I wouldn't shed a tear if/when he follows Bohl. Go with the defensive guys and keep the status quo around here. This incredible run was on above average offense (nothing more - and part of the run was pretty below average) Our rock star defense is the mule that carried the load! I want Klieman as next HC!

Jay
12-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Does Vigen have the contacts to pull in great assistants if he were to be named coach? Not much experience outside of NDSU.

onbison09
12-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Does Vigen have the contacts to pull in great assistants if he were to be named coach? Not much experience outside of NDSU.
This. May be more important than who we hire as head coach.

56BISON73
12-09-2013, 05:25 PM
I just cant go with Vigen as the head coach. I think his plate was pretty full just being the OC. So I dont think he could keep all the wheels on the bus. Plus he lacks the personality for it also.

EC8CH
12-09-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm still not a big Vigen fan. I wouldn't shed a tear if/when he follows Bohl. Go with the defensive guys and keep the status quo around here. This incredible run was on above average offense (nothing more - and part of the run was pretty below average) Our rock star defense is the mule that carried the load! I want Klieman as next HC!

This.

Klieman or look for a qualified candidate elsewhere.

KSBisonFan
12-09-2013, 05:27 PM

This is why I'd put Hazelton #1, Klieman #2......both have been at other programs and have relationships with other good coaches/recruiters.

TransAmBison
12-09-2013, 05:36 PM
If Klieman took over...could we end up raiding Northern Iowa again. This would make me :rofl:

perthbison
12-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Gene's list may be similar to yours. I just think that #3 is now, or will soon be #1.I'm thinking I agree with you on both points.

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2013, 06:09 PM
I would not be on the Vigen bandwagon.

Bison"FANatic"
12-09-2013, 06:12 PM
I would not be on the Vigen bandwagon.

I am also with Wyoming on this.

heckler
12-09-2013, 06:16 PM
I am also with Wyoming on this.

I'm with you and wyo.

HerdBot
12-09-2013, 06:19 PM
I just cant go with Vigen as the head coach. I think his plate was pretty full just being the OC. So I dont think he could keep all the wheels on the bus. Plus he lacks the personality for it also.

That actually makes since when you throw in the fact he hasn't been outside of NDSU and may not have the contacts. Doesn't mean he couldn't do it but there isn't a track record. I think OC is a great fit for him

Bison53
12-09-2013, 06:31 PM

He's a very good recruiter, too.

Mayville Bison
12-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Well, you can always find somebody on Bisonville with an opinion but, I admit, the Coach Vigen doubters were loud and numerous - it wasn't universal though (has anything on Bisonville ever had more than 75% agreement?)

Are you saying the Sioux don't suck?

Where's that popcorn gif.....

BisonTeacher
12-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Are you saying the Sioux don't suck?

Where's that popcorn gif.....

Lol good one.

Actually...there are so many people here that refuse to say that phrase and some who wont even say the word ...ie "The school up north who must not be named" that Tony may actually be right.

Mayville Bison
12-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Lol good one.

Actually...there are so many people here that refuse to say that phrase and some who wont even say the word ...ie "The school up north who must not be named" that Tony may actually be right.

hence the popcorn. Gonna sit back and enjoy the creative responses as to why they don't suck :)

BisonTeacher
12-09-2013, 07:26 PM
hence the popcorn. Gonna sit back and enjoy the creative responses as to why they don't suck :)

I think you know How I feel about the situation. LIKE A VACCUUM!

westnodak93bison
12-09-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm with you and wyo.

You have to admit he as improved greatly in the last two years and Bohl may have had handcuffed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

AjaxTheMighty
12-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Can we do a poll question on who Bisonville wants as next HC? Klieman, Vigen, Hazelton, another outside choice?