PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network Projected bracket

Bisonwinagn
11-24-2013, 03:23 AM
Check this out...One team seems out of place. Can you find them?
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4642611

Seeds

1. North Dakota State, 2. Eastern Illinois, 3. Eastern Washington, 4. Southeastern Louisiana, 5. Towson, 6. McNeese State, 7. Montana, 8. Maine.

Pairings

Lafayette/New Hampshire winner at No. 1 North Dakota State

Sacred Heart/Fordham winner at No. 8 Maine

Furman/South Carolina State winner at No. 5 Towson

Samford/Jacksonville State winner at No. 4 Southeastern Louisiana

Bethune-Cookman/Coastal Carolina winner at No. 3 Eastern Washington

Sam Houston State/Northern Arizona winner at No. 6 McNeese State

Tennesse State/South Dakota State winner at No. 7 Montana

Butler/Northern Iowa winner at No. 2 Eastern Illinois

JustinTyem
11-24-2013, 03:27 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4642611

Seeds

1. North Dakota State, 2. Eastern Illinois, 3. Eastern Washington, 4. Southeastern Louisiana, 5. Towson, 6. McNeese State, 7. Montana, 8. Maine.

Pairings

How the heck ?????????

NDSUstudent
11-24-2013, 03:30 AM
Ignore Sports Network...they are clueless.

southcliffbison
11-24-2013, 03:34 AM

Seeds

Pairings

Out of place? or just missing? Missing is Youngstown State.......UNI really????

Bisonwinagn
11-24-2013, 03:39 AM
Out of place? or just missing? Missing is Youngstown State.......UNI really????

I have all the same teams in except YSU over UNI.

NorthernBison
11-24-2013, 03:54 AM

Interesting conundrum for the committee if they have to decide between these two. YSU has a better record but lost last 3 and they lost to UNI. The resume for UNI is better with the Iowa State win and the thrashing of McNeese State.

missingnumber7
11-24-2013, 03:56 AM

Uni just beat Youngstown. I think they will take into effect that YSU hasnt won in 4 weeks.

jimmyptubas
11-24-2013, 04:00 AM
When i saw it was thinking " UNI? NO way". But you guys have some very convincing arguments.

MNLonghorn10
11-24-2013, 04:01 AM
amazing how some of these MVC teams crash and burn in the end of the season.

Not that they have a chance in the playoffs, but still, if it wasnt for NDSU, this conference would be a crapshoot.

ZHerd
11-24-2013, 04:23 AM

Seeds

Pairings

If this scenario held true then Eastern Illinoise is in for a sneakily tough game...brutal setup for having the #2 seed. I would love it, we would learn a lot about Eastern IL.

NDSUstudent
11-24-2013, 04:30 AM
I don't see a 7-5 team getting in. At the end of the day 7-5 is 7-5...not exactly playoff worthy.

MNLonghorn10
11-24-2013, 04:42 AM
I don't see a 7-5 team getting in. At the end of the day 7-5 is 7-5...not exactly playoff worthy.

I wonder how much they look in financially what leaving a team like Montana St out, and losing that money on the table by letting someone like Bethune Cookman or Tennessee state in.

gotts
11-24-2013, 04:46 AM
I wonder how much they look in financially what leaving a team like Montana St out, and losing that money on the table by letting someone like Bethune Cookman or Tennessee state in.

Bethune Cookman is an autobid, but I understand your point. Not too many teams draw that well on Thanksgiving weekend, and now with the 8 seeded teams, I think it's less of an issue. In the 20 team bracket with only 5 seeds, you'd have another 3 second round games that were left to the bid system. In that scenario, the money on the table argument is very strong.

DjKyRo
11-24-2013, 04:53 AM
Fordham not getting the Patriot autobid really hurts some bubble teams. 5-6 Lafayette making the field with the AQ? PardsRule must be partying in the Northeast tonight.

MNLonghorn10
11-24-2013, 04:58 AM
Bethune Cookman is an autobid, but I understand your point. Not too many teams draw that well on Thanksgiving weekend, and now with the 8 seeded teams, I think it's less of an issue. In the 20 team bracket with only 5 seeds, you'd have another 3 second round games that were left to the bid system. In that scenario, the money on the table argument is very strong.

Yea i didn't bother looking at whatever BC came from...just threw out a small program compared to a reputable one like Montana St and weighting the logistics of leaving tons(well who knows how much) of money behind.

1998braves64
11-24-2013, 05:01 AM

So said for a certain 7-4 team that I believe we all fondly remember. I get that it was only an 11 game year also... but UNI does have FBS win sometimes that favors heavily in your favor, but if that leaves out 8-4 YSU would look somewhat strange.

gotts
11-24-2013, 05:02 AM
Yea i didn't bother looking at whatever BC came from...just threw out a small program compared to a reputable one like Montana St and weighting the logistics of leaving tons(well who knows how much) of money behind.

I imagine if Montana is ever legitimately on the bubble, they really won't be, for the reason you mentioned.

gotts
11-24-2013, 05:06 AM
So said for a certain 7-4 team that I believe we all fondly remember. I get that it was only an 11 game year also... but UNI does have FBS win sometimes that favors heavily in your favor, but if that leaves out 8-4 YSU would look somewhat strange.

Picked up the UNI radio feed on the AM dial on the way back to Bismarck tonight. Farley talked about playoffs, first saying that he hopes every conference team in the playoffs does well. Farley thinks it should be about who you've beaten, not who you've lost to. From there he proceeded to throw YSU under the bus for having roughly zero good wins. He put it in gear and backed it up a couple times, incorrectly saying that YSU had beaten a D-II, and also saying that UNI had some of the same open dates and they went out and played McNeese and Northern Colorado while YSU was screwing around with non-scholly teams.

Hard to argue with the quality of wins angle, but it's going to be the quantity of losses that does them in.

DIBISON
11-24-2013, 05:06 AM
Check out the Bison Media Blog, they have 4 MVFC teams in the playoffs. NDSU, SDSU, UNI and YSU.

missingnumber7
11-24-2013, 05:27 AM
Picked up the UNI radio feed on the AM dial on the way back to Bismarck tonight. Farley talked about playoffs, first saying that he hopes every conference team in the playoffs does well. Farley thinks it should be about who you've beaten, not who you've lost to. From there he proceeded to throw YSU under the bus for having roughly zero good wins. He put it in gear and backed it up a couple times, incorrectly saying that YSU had beaten a D-II, and also saying that UNI had some of the same open dates and they went out and played McNeese and Northern Colorado while YSU was screwing around with non-scholly teams.

Hard to argue with the quality of wins angle, but it's going to be the quantity of losses that does them in.

With that mentality the top 3 or 4 conferences would get all the auto bids. I do think that UNi should get in over YSU.

SamsRams
11-24-2013, 05:38 AM

The OVC does not deserve 3 teams nor does the Big South or MEAC deserve 2. They dont win in the playoffs and play in horrible conferences. I have 4 MVFC

http://bisonation.info/bisonation-playoff-prediction/

NDSUstudent
11-24-2013, 05:46 AM
The OVC does not deserve 3 teams nor does the Big South or MEAC deserve 2. They dont win in the playoffs and play in horrible conferences. I have 4 MVFC

http://bisonation.info/bisonation-playoff-prediction/

Isn't your bracket saying 5 MVFC teams in? NDSU, SDSU, YSU, SIU and UNI?

SIU has no shot...they had to beat Missouri State and didn't. Now they only have 6 DI wins.

A case could be made for UNI at 7-5...Beat YSU, McNeese and Iowa State. I agree with that but the committee has left deserving teams home before because they had questionable records.

SamsRams
11-24-2013, 05:47 AM
oops yeah 5 you gotta factor in enough teams that will bid and have short bus trips. too many politics even though they may not really say it out loud

Professor Chaos
11-24-2013, 05:49 AM
Isn't your bracket saying 5 MVFC teams in? NDSU, SDSU, YSU, SIU and UNI?

SIU has no shot...they had to beat Missouri State and didn't. Now they only have 6 DI wins.

A case could be made for UNI at 7-5...Beat YSU, McNeese and Iowa State. I agree with that but the committee has left deserving teams home before because they had questionable records.
The magic number for D1 wins was lowered to 6 with the advent of the 24 team field. SIU will get consideration but I agree that they will probably be left out.

NDSUstudent
11-24-2013, 05:55 AM
The magic number for D1 wins was lowered to 6 with the advent of the 24 team field. SIU will get consideration but I agree that they will probably be left out.

I could actually see a 6 win team getting in, just not in a season where you can play 12 games. Too many teams have 9, 8 or 7 DI wins.

BraxtonT
11-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Fordham not getting the Patriot autobid really hurts some bubble teams. 5-6 Lafayette making the field with the AQ? PardsRule must be partying in the Northeast tonight.

That is their own fault, so they are essentially an independent team much like the Great West teams used to be. They should need to have a perfect record to crash the playoff party. Their best win was over the CAA's 4th best team (Villanova), but did lose to a 5-6 Lafayette team. Their resume is far from impressive.

With Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, and Old Dominion gone from the division, FCS needs to showcase the best of what is left. Otherwise, they are heading down a slippery slope if they start letting too many undeserving teams into the playoff field. Some of us older guys still remember the transformation that DII went through about 20-25 years ago and don't want to see it happen again at our new level.

NDSUstudent
11-24-2013, 06:34 AM
I won't hold it against Fordham for wanting to be a full scholarship team and thus disqualifying themselves from the Patriot auto. They beat an FBS team, they beat multiple CAA teams, their only loss occurred in a game where their starting QB was out. I don't have an issue with Fordham getting in, they are deserving.

BraxtonT
11-24-2013, 07:48 AM
I won't hold it against Fordham for wanting to be a full scholarship team and thus disqualifying themselves from the Patriot auto. They beat an FBS team, they beat multiple CAA teams, their only loss occurred in a game where their starting QB was out. I don't have an issue with Fordham getting in, they are deserving.

8/29 Rhode Island W 51-26 CAA #10 of 11 (3-9)
9/7 Villanova W 27-24 CAA #4 of 11 (6-5)
9/14 at Temple W 30-29 FBS in name only (1 win)
9/21 Columbia W 52-7 Ivy League (0-10)
9/28 at St. Francis W 38-20 NEC 5-6 (#3 of 7)
10/5 Lehigh W 52-34 8-3
10/12 at Georgetown W 34-12 2-9
10/19 at Yale W 52-31 Ivy League (#4 of 8) 5-5
11/2 Holy Cross W 32-30 3-9
11/9 Bucknell W 23-21 6-5
11/16 at Lafayette L 14-27 5-6
11/23 at Colgate W 56-19 4-8

Even if they were eligible for the AQ, they would not have won it, as they lost to Lafayette. Both would have the same conference record, so head-to-head goes to the Leopards.

Simple scenario: If you are John Stiegelmeier or Craig Bohl and the committee says "We are going to let you decide on whether you play Fordham (11-1) or Northern Iowa (7-5) in the playoffs." What are the chances either of these coaches would choose Northern Iowa?

A1pigskin
11-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Even if they were eligible for the AQ, they would not have won it, as they lost to Lafayette. Both would have the same conference record, so head-to-head goes to the Leopards.

Simple scenario: If you are John Stiegelmeier or Craig Bohl and the committee says "We are going to let you decide on whether you play Fordham (11-1) or Northern Iowa (7-5) in the playoffs." What are the chances either of these coaches would choose Northern Iowa?

Good point. Neither would choose Northern Iowa.

Tatanka
11-24-2013, 01:05 PM
I imagine if Montana is ever legitimately on the bubble, they really won't be, for the reason you mentioned.

same for ndsu. The NCAA will absolutely follow the money.

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

missingnumber7
11-24-2013, 03:12 PM
8/29 Rhode Island W 51-26 CAA #10 of 11 (3-9)
9/7 Villanova W 27-24 CAA #4 of 11 (6-5)
9/14 at Temple W 30-29 FBS in name only (1 win)
9/21 Columbia W 52-7 Ivy League (0-10)
9/28 at St. Francis W 38-20 NEC 5-6 (#3 of 7)
10/5 Lehigh W 52-34 8-3
10/12 at Georgetown W 34-12 2-9
10/19 at Yale W 52-31 Ivy League (#4 of 8) 5-5
11/2 Holy Cross W 32-30 3-9
11/9 Bucknell W 23-21 6-5
11/16 at Lafayette L 14-27 5-6
11/23 at Colgate W 56-19 4-8

We look at the strength of a teams FBS win but I highly doubt the committee will when it comes to weather a team is in or not. I believe 3 teams beat Georgia State and that counts as an FBS win.

oldmantutters
11-24-2013, 03:17 PM
same for ndsu. The NCAA will absolutely follow the money.

Can you really blame them? The NCAA wants to grow the FCS as much as possible. Which is what we should want. Think about the argument between NAU and Montana, both teams can make an argument. NAU beat UM head to head, but lost to MSU and UM beat MSU. UMs loss was early and they are playing better now. What will play better on TV, Wa-Griz stadium packed with 26,000 people or the Skydome with 10,000 people. Remember the NCAA gets a portion of ticket sales.

MNLonghorn10
11-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Can you really blame them? The NCAA wants to grow the FCS as much as possible. Which is what we should want. Think about the argument between NAU and Montana, both teams can make an argument. NAU beat UM head to head, but lost to MSU and UM beat MSU. UMs loss was early and they are playing better now. What will play better on TV, Wa-Griz stadium packed with 26,000 people or the Skydome with 10,000 people. Remember the NCAA gets a portion of ticket sales.
I dont. Outside of the AQ's, the NCAA should be vying to get every bigger name into the field as possible.

Tatanka
11-24-2013, 08:11 PM

Nope, not one bit. Of course it's a lot easier to say that as a fan of a "have" as opposed to a "have not".

A1pigskin
11-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Money talks.

Bisonwinagn
11-25-2013, 12:14 AM

Seeds

Pairings

So it looks like Sports network got all the teams except for SUU instead of UNI. I was thinking YSU might get the last at large, but clearly SUU deserved it. I really don't see any surprises this year. I don't think all these teams deserved the at large bids, but the committee has been consistent over the years.

missingnumber7
11-25-2013, 12:19 AM
So it looks like Sports network got all the teams except for SUU instead of UNI. I was thinking YSU might get the last at large, but clearly SUU deserved it. I really don't see any surprises this year. I don't think all these teams deserved the at large bids, but the committee has been consistent over the years.

24 appeases MEAC, Patriot, and Pioneer. Still wont change that there will not be a team from any of those 3 leagues that makes it to the 15th of December.

stevdock
11-25-2013, 01:17 AM
I was shocked by the amount of teams that were vying for seeds or the playoffs period that just played horrible yesterday. Let's take the 6 teams that actually won a game yesterday and just include them in the playoffs.

bisonaudit
11-25-2013, 02:20 PM
I was shocked by the amount of teams that were vying for seeds or the playoffs period that just played horrible yesterday. Let's take the 6 teams that actually won a game yesterday and just include them in the playoffs.

Don't be silly. How you're playing at the end of the year only matters when you need an excuse to exclude a MVFC team.

NorthernBison
11-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Don't be silly. How you're playing at the end of the year only matters when you need an excuse to exclude a MVFC team.

YSU didn't give the committee anything to work with based on their WEAK ASSED OOC schedule.

UNI had the signature wins to get in (Iowa State and McNeese). 7-5 with Drake as one of the wins was probably the deciding factor.

EC8CH
11-25-2013, 02:50 PM
YSU didn't give the committee anything to work with based on their WEAK ASSED OOC schedule.

UNI had the signature wins to get in (Iowa State and McNeese). 7-5 with Drake as one of the wins was probably the deciding factor.

^This

If any team deserved the 3rd playoff spot from the MVFC it was UNI. More impressive wins and their losses were much much closer.

missingnumber7
11-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Losses to Illinois State and South Dakota didn't help either. The Committee chair said on ESPNU that teams need to win the conference games that they should win and thats how some of the final spots were decided.

HerdBot
11-25-2013, 03:00 PM
How did the OVC get 3 in? EIU obviously but 3?

Tatanka
11-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Losses to Illinois State and South Dakota didn't help either. The Committee chair said on ESPNU that teams need to win the conference games that they should win and thats how some of the final spots were decided.

yep, the problem is they play in the Missouri valley...

bisonaudit
11-25-2013, 03:13 PM
yep, the problem is they play in the Missouri valley...

Exactly. .