PDA

View Full Version : Example of Craig Bohl Class

EC8CH
11-19-2013, 02:03 PM
http://youtu.be/JuYOdP7PQQ4?t=10m47s

I thought it was classy how Coach Bohl took responsibility for Dudzik's punt return fumble here by saying they should have been more cautious and he should have told Dudzik to not even return the football.

I'm sure the players are coached to be aggressive and it should be the coach's job to remind the players of the game situation and when that calls for dialing back and playing more cautiously. Very classy of Bohl to say this in defense of one of his players.

Professor Chaos
11-19-2013, 02:08 PM

I thought it was classy how Coach Bohl took responsibility for Dudzik's punt return fumble here by saying they should have been more cautious and he should have told Dudzik to not even return the football.

I'm sure the players are coached to be aggressive and it should be the coach's job to remind the players of the game situation and when that calls for dialing back and playing more cautiously. Very classy of Bohl to say this in defense of one of his players.
Coach Bohl is awesome and pure class but I will say that he kind of goes Bud Kilmer on his placekickers when they miss kicks. After Keller got that long one partially blocked against Illinois St the camera showed him on the sidelines and Bohl was just letting him have it. If anything he should've been yelling at the interior line for the penetration they gave up that led to the block. I don't think Bohl is a big fan of placekickers :rofl:

thundarsdaddy
11-19-2013, 02:12 PM

Very classy. CBohl doesnt throw his players under the bus, nor his fellow coaches. He doesnt just teach teamwork and the mentality of "the herd"...he lives it!!!

EC8CH
11-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Coach Bohl is awesome and pure class but I will say that he kind of goes Bud Kilmer on his placekickers when they miss kicks. A

I've noticed this too. You rarely see him get very heated on the sidelines, but if you do there's a good chance they just missed a field goal and a place kicker is standing next to him.

I think he's already a little miffed when they have to settle for a FG try in the first place, so a miss just pushes him over the edge.

Hammerhead
11-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Kicker got chewed out in the last FCS championship game, too. In his speech as some coaches association dinner he said that he probably went overboard in that instance.

Mayville Bison
11-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Coach Bohl is awesome and pure class but I will say that he kind of goes Bud Kilmer on his placekickers when they miss kicks. After Keller got that long one partially blocked against Illinois St the camera showed him on the sidelines and Bohl was just letting him have it. If anything he should've been yelling at the interior line for the penetration they gave up that led to the block. I don't think Bohl is a big fan of placekickers :rofl:

I think I read/heard somewhere that Bohl is directly in charge of the placekickers. He's extra tough on them because that's his direct involvement with one facet of the game (besides head coaching duties of course). That being said, I felt terrible for Keller in the NC game. Not too many positions where if you mess-up by an inch or two, you look terrible - and then to get torn a new one on the sideline, YIKES!!! I guess he made up for it later with his pass to the endzone that made SC Top 10.

EC8CH
11-19-2013, 02:54 PM
D@mn it!

If you all want a pitty party thread for place kicker who can't get it between the uprights, start your own thread.

This one here's supposed to be about Bohl being a nice guy.

bisonaudit
11-19-2013, 03:01 PM
I think I read/heard somewhere that Bohl is directly in charge of the placekickers. He's extra tough on them because that's his direct involvement with one facet of the game (besides head coaching duties of course). That being said, I felt terrible for Keller in the NC game. Not too many positions where if you mess-up by an inch or two, you look terrible - and then to get torn a new one on the sideline, YIKES!!! I guess he made up for it later with his pass to the endzone that made SC Top 10.

If just about every head coach in football would make fewer strategic errors in employing their kickers so often they'd save themselves from these silly blowups. They're doing the wrong thing, sending the kid out there, in many instances, and then when he doesn't perform up to their unreasonable expectations, because they've already demonstrated that they don't understand how probabilities work, they double down by blaming the guy for trying to do his job when the whole mess, in many instances, was caused by the coach's sub optimal decision making in the first place.

Mayville Bison
11-19-2013, 03:10 PM
If just about every head coach in football would make fewer strategic errors in employing their kickers so often they'd save themselves from these silly blowups. They're doing the wrong thing, sending the kid out there, in many instances, and then when he doesn't perform up to their unreasonable expectations, because they've already demonstrated that they don't understand how probabilities work, they double down by blaming the guy for trying to do his job when the whole mess, in many instances, was caused by the coach's sub optimal decision making in the first place.

I was starting to come over to the dark side until I failed to convert a 4th & 1 on NCAA Football last night. I will never not punt again!

Seriously though, I am starting to lean that way more and more over the past few weeks and think it would be done a lot more if coaches weren't scared of the consequences of not converting (in other words, getting fired even though it may have been the correct call).

bisonaudit
11-19-2013, 03:23 PM
I was starting to come over to the dark side until I failed to convert a 4th & 1 on NCAA Football last night. I will never not punt again!

Seriously though, I am starting to lean that way more and more over the past few weeks and think it would be done a lot more if coaches weren't scared of the consequences of not converting (in other words, getting fired even though it may have been the correct call).

That's exactly right. The incentives are misaligned.

I see that one of the TV networks is drawing an imaginary field goal range line on the field now. What a disaster. If I had a zillion dollar marketing budget I'd go to one of these TV networks and I'd say, I want to sponsor either 1) an expected points graphic that would illustrate the weighted average number of points a team is expected to score given the down and distance from various points on the field and 2) instead of a line to gain for a FG attempt, a graphic overlay showing the success rate from various distances.

Mayville Bison
11-19-2013, 03:28 PM

I see that one of the TV networks is drawing an imaginary field goal range line on the field now. What a disaster. If I had a zillion dollar marketing budget I'd go to one of these TV networks and I'd say, I want to sponsor either 1) an expected points graphic that would illustrate the weighted average number of points a team is expected to score given the down and distance from various points on the field and 2) instead of a line to gain for a FG attempt, a graphic overlay showing the success rate from various distances.

hahahahaha! And I thought I got a ton of crap for turning my fantasy football friends into expected value drafters.

Sorry, back to the Bohl is all class talk

IzzyFlexion
11-20-2013, 11:09 AM
So as not to get disemboweled......Coach Bohl is, indeed, a very classy guy.

Now, kickers often get treated a little tougher because they have ONE JOB TO DO. And they spend nearly entire practices doing it over and over and over and over.

If you wanna see extremely mean and disgruntled faces......go to anytown USA during a 96 degree two-a-days and watch giant lineman stare down the kicker if he even DARES to go near the watering station. Fun times.

missingnumber7
11-20-2013, 01:03 PM

I understand the FG line in end of game/half situations. But it is just insane how they put it up there on every drive now. No different than when they highlight the redzone. I would wager that there are more points scored from outside the redzone now than from in the redzone, due to the spread offense.

missingnumber7
11-20-2013, 01:05 PM
So as not to get disemboweled......Coach Bohl is, indeed, a very classy guy.

Now, kickers often get treated a little tougher because they have ONE JOB TO DO. And they spend nearly entire practices doing it over and over and over and over.

If you wanna see extremely mean and disgruntled faces......go to anytown USA during a 96 degree two-a-days and watch giant lineman stare down the kicker if he even DARES to go near the watering station. Fun times.

Izzy they may have one job to do, but they have to depend on a snapper and holder to do their job perfectly. If they don't they have to figure out how to compensate. And let me tell you when you get a kick blocked during the week because of bad blocking...kicking one into the butt of said lineman during practice the next week isnt nearly as funny as you think it would be at the time.

BisonNeil
11-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Congratulations to Craig Bohl for being nominated for the 2013 Eddie Robinson award! He won it in 2012, and I don't think there have been any back to back repeats (Mathews from James Madison has won it twice, but about 8 years apart), but it is still a great honor to be nominated.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

Mayville Bison
11-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Congratulations to Craig Bohl for being nominated for the 2013 Eddie Robinson award! He won it in 2012, and I don't think there have been any back to back repeats (Mathews from James Madison has won it twice, but about 8 years apart), but it is still a great honor to be nominated.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

I would be surprised if Cogrove (Maine) didn't win it - asuming they this week of course. I really doubt they would have Bohl win it again when there are some pretty good stories out there (Maine, Southern Utah, SELA, UN_)

EDIT - Congrats to Bohl on getting nominated! This has been a great ride and if he didn't win it last year, it would be a guarantee