PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology 6.0

NDSUstudent
11-17-2013, 04:05 AM
Here is my bracket projecting where teams will stand after next week's games are completed...

Butler(PFL) at Bethune-Cookman(MEAC) vs 1. NDSU(11-0)
SUU(8-4) at SHSU(9-3) 8. NAU(9-2)
Sacred Heart(NEC) at Fordham(11-1) vs 4. Maine(11-1)
Lehigh(Patriot) at YSU(8-4) vs 5. Towson(10-2)

Furman(SoCon) at Tenn State(9-3) vs 2. EIU(11-1)
William and Mary(8-4) at CCU(Big South) vs 7. McNeese St(10-2)
Samford(8-4) at SCSU(9-3) vs 6. SELA(10-2)
SDSU(8-4) at Montana(10-2) vs 3. EWU(10-2)

Bubble burst:
Delaware(7-5)
Chattanooga(8-4)
UNI(7-5)
Montana State(7-5)
CSU(10-3)
Liberty(8-4)
Jax State(9-3)

gotts
11-17-2013, 04:34 AM
How much is Jacksonville State's overtime loss against Murray St earlier this year going to haunt them when they'd probably be in as an at-large with two losses against EIU and Tennessee St?

NDSUstudent
11-17-2013, 04:43 AM
How much is Jacksonville State's overtime loss against Murray St earlier this year going to haunt them when they'd probably be in as an at-large with two losses against EIU and Tennessee St?

Yeah that loss is what is keeping them out. AT 10-2 and have them in over SC State.

gotts
11-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Yeah that loss is what is keeping them out. AT 10-2 and have them in over SC State.

No matter which way you slice it, this is a down year for the playoff field. Back 1/3 of the field is going to be very watered down.

NDSUstudent
11-17-2013, 05:08 AM
No matter which way you slice it, this is a down year for the playoff field. Back 1/3 of the field is going to be very watered down.

Agreed, the FCS is not really that deep this year. A lot of mediocre teams will be in the playoffs.

THEsocalledfan
11-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Agreed, the FCS is not really that deep this year. A lot of mediocre teams will be in the playoffs.

I pitty the first victim that must come to Fargo; it will be ugly.

1998braves64
11-17-2013, 12:19 PM
I pity any team trying to get in the way of this machine. Because even if some of the "good" teams get sent here seems that this team has some sort of history with them...

EW last playoff loss on a terrible call they wouldn't let it come down to refs again
MtSU bought us out at last min
Shsu... Self explanatory
SDSU.. rivalry
Any others that are considered"top teams" we have issues with in the past?

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

NDSUstudent
11-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Sports Network Bracketology

Tenn State at Montana State vs 1. NDSU
Charleston Southern at Furman vs 8. NAU
Bethune-Cookman @Coastal Carolina 5. SELA
Butler/Marist at Fordham vs 4. Maine

Sacred Heart at William and Mary vs #3 EWU
Samford at SCSU vs 6. Towson
SDSU at Montana vs 7. McNeese St
Lehigh at SHSU vs 2. EIU

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

Swaghook
11-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Maine was supposed to have played in the Fargodome but was cancelled due to 9/11. Not an issue just a sidenote.

runtheoption
11-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Agreed, the FCS is not really that deep this year. A lot of mediocre teams will be in the playoffs. Take us out of the picture, and it's a much more competitve playoff field.

MNLonghorn10
11-17-2013, 02:36 PM
I just want Montana state...but too bad they suck just enough to possibly not even get in

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Bisonguy
11-17-2013, 03:03 PM

The back 1/3 of the field would have been sitting at home just a few years ago. Pretty safe to say that the bottom 1/3 in the bracket will always be watered down. The middle 1/3 could maybe win a game or two, and the top 1/3 should be the favorites for the quarterfinals.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Tatanka
11-17-2013, 03:05 PM
I just want Montana state...but too bad they suck just enough to possibly not even get in

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ain't this the truth?

gotts
11-17-2013, 03:30 PM
The back 1/3 of the field would have been sitting at home just a few years ago. Pretty safe to say that the bottom 1/3 in the bracket will always be watered down. The middle 1/3 could maybe win a game or two, and the top 1/3 should be the favorites for the quarterfinals.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

For the most part, I agree with what you're saying. What I was getting at is that some years you have some trouble trying to decide which undeserving team gets to squeak into the last playoff spot or two. This year I feel there are far less teams that have separated themselves as playoff-worthy.

When I put a poll together each week, I use a tiered system. After about the third tier (ending with about the 11th or 12th ranked team at the moment), it's hard to really make a case for some of these teams being in the playoffs this year.

This year seems like a 16 team playoff would have been plenty; the 24 team playoff could have come into play last year with the types of bubble teams that were left home.

BisoninNWMN
11-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Sports Network Bracketology

Tenn State at Montana State vs 1. NDSU
Charleston Southern at Furman vs 8. NAU
Bethune-Cookman @Coastal Carolina 5. SELA
Butler/Marist at Fordham vs 4. Maine

Sacred Heart at William and Mary vs #3 EWU
Samford at SCSU vs 6. Towson
SDSU at Montana vs 7. McNeese St
Lehigh at SHSU vs 2. EIU

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

IMO, Montana State is out if they lose to the Griz. I think your bracket will play out with SDSU going to the Griz.

THEsocalledfan
11-17-2013, 07:12 PM
IMO, Montana State is out if they lose to the Griz. I think your bracket will play out with SDSU going to the Griz.

Why do I think they will do everything they can to put SDSU in Fargo again? Cheaper trip than Montana as SDSU would probably fly that.

NDSUstudent
11-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Why do I think they will do everything they can to put SDSU in Fargo again? Cheaper trip than Montana as SDSU would probably fly that.

I think if SDSU and Montana play the winner goes to EWU.

In a game with Montana and SDSU the Griz will host the game and be the favorite. Missoula to Cheney is a bus trip.

One thing that could make a rematch with SDSU likely is if SDSU gets matched up with Butler in round 1. Obviously SDSU would be the heavy favorite in that game. I'd also say an SDSU-Montana State game would also likely send the winner to Fargo as well.

CAS4127
11-17-2013, 07:20 PM

Donate miles to NCAA--worries gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

NDSUstudent
11-17-2013, 07:48 PM
The FCS bracketology gold standard...nobowls.com predicts the field....

William and Mary at CCU vs 1. NDSU
Samford at SHSU vs 8. McNeese State
Charleston Southern at Bethune-Cookman vs 5. SE Lousiana
Sacred Heart at Fordham vs 4 Maine

SDSU at Montana vs 3. EWU
Lehigh at Delaware vs 6. Towson
SUU at Chattanooga vs 7. NAU
Butler at YSU vs 2. EIU

http://www.nobowls.com/

Bison bison
11-17-2013, 09:06 PM
not to be overly critical of bohl and taylor regarding scheduling, but i think they should have followed _ND's model of having an extra offweek to rest before their big playoff run*.

*to the red pepper before kickoff.

SDSUAlum08
11-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Last year the Valley had 3 teams in and SDSU was one of the last teams in the field. If SDSU wins they will be the second rated team in the Valley. No way NDSU and SDSU face off in round two.

If they do go to Fargo in round two I'll be really f-in upset.

DePereBisonFan
11-18-2013, 03:50 PM
UNI can end up 7-5.
Southern Illinois can end up 7-5.
SDSU and Youngstown State can both end up 8-4.

Are UNI and SIU bubble teams, or are they definitely out of the field at 7-5? A 7-5 Valley team is probably better than a 9-3 team from most other conferences.

bisonaudit
11-18-2013, 05:28 PM
UNI can end up 7-5.
Southern Illinois can end up 7-5.
SDSU and Youngstown State can both end up 8-4.

Are UNI and SIU bubble teams, or are they definitely out of the field at 7-5? A 7-5 Valley team is probably better than a 9-3 team from most other conferences.

I don't think you'll have much trouble convincing people around here of that. Unfortunately, none of us are on the selection committee.

MNLonghorn10
11-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Last year the Valley had 3 teams in and SDSU was one of the last teams in the field. If SDSU wins they will be the second rated team in the Valley. No way NDSU and SDSU face off in round two.

Im tired of beating SDSU. Id rather have Montana St come to fargo over SDSU, 100 times out of 100. hope the playoff committee reads this.

THEsocalledfan
11-18-2013, 11:36 PM

They will find a way to do bus trips; have no doubt on that.

NDSUstudent
11-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Butler has won the PFL autobid...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4641331

Herd
11-20-2013, 06:41 AM
The #1 Seed should get you a MEAC/Pioneer 2nd round game . . . I like it!! I hope we can avoid a MV or Big Sky opponent in the 2nd round. I really like our chances to the semi's vs. the #8 seed like NAU or SE LA. If Montana slips into the #8 seed, that might be a very tough game.

Tatanka
11-20-2013, 11:59 AM
The #1 Seed should get you a MEAC/Pioneer 2nd round game . . . I like it!! I hope we can avoid a MV or Big Sky opponent in the 2nd round. I really like our chances to the semi's vs. the #8 seed like NAU or SE LA. If Montana slips into the #8 seed, that might be a very tough game.

should, but will it due to geography. Last year the #1 got the prize of ovc/mvfc in the second round.... Will the NCAA pay to fly out a creampuff?

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

BisoninNWMN
11-20-2013, 12:13 PM

I hope so but don't count on it.

They will bus SDSU here if they win their 1st game.

The #1 seed be rewarded with a cupcake team no matter what part of the country they are from. Psuedo regionalization sucks!

GRAFTONBISON
11-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Butler has won the PFL autobid...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4641331

Patty Viverito is the Commissioner for the PFL??

JDZ
11-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Patty Viverito is the Commissioner for the PFL??

I guess she is:

http://www.pioneer-football.org/pfl/

GRAFTONBISON
11-20-2013, 01:44 PM
I guess she is:

Well, if you learn something new everyday, I can just coast for the rest of the day.

DePereBisonFan
11-20-2013, 04:04 PM
I guess she is:

What?? Does the MVFC not pay her enough to focus on her responsibilities with our own league? No wonder it seems like she could be doing more for our conference in terms of TV deals, playoff teams, etc.

DePereBisonFan
11-20-2013, 04:06 PM
On another note, it has to look good on SDSU's resume to have beaten 2 playoff teams in their OOC games in Butler and SE Louisiana, plus a strong North Dakota team.

Maybe they'll get a look even if they end up 7-5.

Hammersmith
11-20-2013, 04:10 PM
What?? Does the MVFC not pay her enough to focus on her responsibilities with our own league? No wonder it seems like she could be doing more for our conference in terms of TV deals, playoff teams, etc.

A single-sport conference does not exactly make for a big workload. I suspect she also has duties with the MVC. Remember how the Summit and GWFC worked? The commish for one was the assistant commish for the other. Speaking of single-sport conferences, I wonder who actually runs the WWC? Is the day to day work handled by a larger conference or is it handled by one of the member schools?

ndsubison1
11-21-2013, 04:19 PM
a team not a lot of people are talking about is maine. theyre undefeated thus far in the CAA which is tough to do. they beat UMass and their only loss thus far is 35-21 at Northwestern

bisonaudit
11-21-2013, 04:29 PM
a team not a lot of people are talking about is maine. theyre undefeated thus far in the CAA which is tough to do. they beat UMass and their only loss thus far is 35-21 at Northwestern

Sagarin predictor says they're the 4th best team in the Colonial, but that also makes them the 10th best team in the country and the 8th best in the SportsNetwork predicted playoff field. Using the SportsNetwork bracket, if seeds held (though Sagarin would make #5 SE Louisiana a small road favorite -2.5 over them in the quarters) we'd get them in our building in the semi's and the line would be -21.

Mayville Bison
11-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Sagarin predictor says they're the 4th best team in the Colonial, but that also makes them the 10th best team in the country and the 8th best in the SportsNetwork predicted playoff field. Using the SportsNetwork bracket, if seeds held (though Sagarin would make #5 SE Louisiana a small road favorite -2.5 over them in the quarters) we'd get them in our building in the semi's and the line would be -21.

I will be impressed if they come out of this weekend with a win. I think it's going to go the other way for them and they drop to a 7 or 8 seed. If they win this weekend, they are a legit 4 or 5 in my book.

bisonaudit
11-21-2013, 05:19 PM
I will be impressed if they come out of this weekend with a win. I think it's going to go the other way for them and they drop to a 7 or 8 seed. If they win this weekend, they are a legit 4 or 5 in my book.

I think that's fair. @ UNH is basically a pick-em.

BisoninNWMN
11-21-2013, 10:45 PM

Maine has been on Fox Sports a couple of times this year. They run the spread and are a good team but IMO they would not beat the Bison. Bison defense is too good for their spread and their defense is good but not great.

Towson would give us a better game...they are more balanced on offense.

BisoninNWMN
11-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Well, if you learn something new everyday, I can just coast for the rest of the day.

What a joke of a conference the Pioneer is.

Butler will get rolled in their 1st game.

gotts
11-22-2013, 03:44 AM
Maine never played Towson this year and barely got by Villanova, Stony Brook, Albany, and Richmond (2, 5, 6, and 7 point wins, respectively). On the other hand, they beat Delaware by 34 and William & Mary by 14 (both at home, though). I'm not quite sure what to think of them, this weekend at New Hampshire will rightfully cement a top-4 seeding if they truly deserve it.

NDSUstudent
11-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Some Bracket talk...

Autobids(11)
Eastern Washington-Big Sky
Eastern Illinois-OVC
Sacred Heart-NEC
North Dakota State-MVFC
Southeastern Louisiana-SLC
Butler-PFL
Maine-CAA
Coastal Carolina-Big South
Lafayette-Patriot
Bethune-Cookman-MEAC
Furman-SoCon

At-Large Locks(8)
McNeese St
Samford
SDSU
NAU
Montana
Towson
Fordham
Tenn State

Bubble:
Jacksonville State
YSU
Sam Houston State
South Carolina State
Chattanooga
New Hampshire
SUU
UNI(only 7-5 but perhaps worth considering
Liberty
Lehigh
Charleston Southern

I don't think the last three team I listed have a shot but I tossed them in there.