PDA

View Full Version : Injured Player, Medical Bills

kab1one
11-11-2013, 06:52 PM
In general, who covers the cost of an injury that occurred during a game? An ACL surgery?

Player's private insurance? What if family has none?

School's?

Not employees, so not Worker's compensation.

Just never seen the question asked before.

1st&TennBison
11-11-2013, 06:57 PM
The school covers it in one way or another, if I am correct it would come from the athletic departments insurance.

NorthernBison
11-11-2013, 07:10 PM
The NCAA requires the schools to take steps to ensure that athletes are covered. If an athlete is not covered under their parent's policy, there is group insurance available. Every article I've seen on the issue dodges the question of who pays for the coverage.

There is catastrophic coverage when costs exceed $75,000 for schools participating in group coverage and $90,000 for all others.

CarringtonBison
11-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Almost always sent through private insurance as most college aged kids are covered under parents policy. Beyond that, I think there is a coverage provided to uninsure athletes from the school. Not sure how it is set up though.

bisonmike2
11-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Cue Rob Port complaining about how much Becks's shoulder and Olson's ACL is costing ND taxpayers. Or is Rob Port, a.k.a Robert Duwayne Port of Minot North Dakota too busy with his D.U.I defense?

1st&TennBison
11-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Almost always sent through private insurance as most college aged kids are covered under parents policy. Beyond that, I think there is a coverage provided to uninsure athletes from the school. Not sure how it is set up though.

Wow, does the school at least cover the parents out of pocket expense. How long has it been this way, it was not like that in the mid 80's

CAS4127
11-11-2013, 07:32 PM

This is how it was done/handled when I was at NDSU. My parents' family plan was primary, with NDSU's policy being secondary. meaning it took care of uncovered expenses.

runtheoption
11-11-2013, 07:58 PM
This is how it was done/handled when I was at NDSU. My parents' family plan was primary, with NDSU's policy being secondary. meaning it took care of uncovered expenses. I wonder if it changed in the mid 90's. I don't remember using my parents insurance, and I think NDSU took care of everything when I had a couple of pins inserted in my thumb (yes, even us non-recruited, lowly "walk-ons during the 1st week of school" scout teamer's were taken care of by NDSU).

kab1one
11-11-2013, 07:58 PM
This is how it was done/handled when I was at NDSU. My parents' family plan was primary, with NDSU's policy being secondary. meaning it took care of uncovered expenses.

Okay we make a big assumption that parents or guardians have insurance.

If they don't, does the university cover? 100% co pays?

I am not knocking the system like Rob Port would, but take Grant Olson and "IF" uncovered, is there expense exposure for him, co pays, etc....

CAS4127
11-11-2013, 08:02 PM
I wonder if it changed in the mid 90's. I don't remember using my parents insurance, and I think NDSU took care of everything when I had a couple of pins inserted in my thumb (yes, even us non-recruited, lowly "walk-ons during the 1st week of school" scout teamer's were taken care of by NDSU).

May have changed, I really don't know.

Okay we make a big assumption that parents or guardians have insurance.

If they don't, does the university cover? 100% co pays?

I am not knocking the system like Rob Port would, but take Grant Olson and "IF" uncovered, is there expense exposure for him, co pays, etc....

I thought of this, and I was thinking that would make NDSU's insurance primary.

Maybe someone can do some research.

Edit: Here, read this: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/college_athletes_rights_ncaa_r.html

SafeTeeJ
11-11-2013, 08:31 PM
I wonder if it changed in the mid 90's. I don't remember using my parents insurance, and I think NDSU took care of everything when I had a couple of pins inserted in my thumb (yes, even us non-recruited, lowly "walk-ons during the 1st week of school" scout teamer's were taken care of by NDSU).

Doc CHris would just do it pro bono?

I got stitches, MRI's, Neurologist visits. I don't think my parents ever saw a thing come their way.

TransAmBison
11-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Doc CHris would just do it pro bono?

I got stitches, MRI's, Neurologist visits. I don't think my parents ever saw a thing come their way.Did he ever find out what was wrong with you? :D

CAS4127
11-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Did he ever find out what was wrong with you? :D

Brain MRI Radioligist reading: "No image detected", followed by ":(:confused::(:confused:" along with "Rule out possible earlier removal and or congenital failure."

SafeTeeJ
11-11-2013, 09:07 PM

:rofl: nope

To this day, I still can't figure it out.:confused:

SafeTeeJ
11-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Brain MRI Radioligist reading: "No image detected", followed by ":(:confused::(:confused:" along with "Rule out possible earlier removal and or congenital failure."

Check Neg Rep!:bleh:

Burke42
11-11-2013, 11:06 PM
CAS is correct about payment of the medical bills for the players.

IzzyFlexion
11-12-2013, 01:28 AM

Rookparty Inebriosis?

KSBisonFan
11-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Pretty sure Grant Olson will be doing the surgery on himself so who pays the bills is a mute point in his case.

TransAmBison
11-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Pretty sure Grant Olson will be doing the surgery on himself so who pays the bills is a mute point in his case.Mute point and moot point is a commonly misunderstood phrase. Mute means to silence or quiet. Moot means impractical or irrelevant. A moot point means that the issue isn't up for debate and is irrelevant as the outcome has already been determined. There is no phrase of mute point. The correct terminology is moot point. dictionary.reference.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moot)*

*Just because Bison4Life shouldn't be the only a-hole on BV. :D

CAS4127
11-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Mute point and moot point is a commonly misunderstood phrase. Mute means to silence or quiet. Moot means impractical or irrelevant. A moot point means that the issue isn't up for debate and is irrelevant as the outcome has already been determined. There is no phrase of mute point. The correct terminology is moot point. dictionary.reference.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moot)*

Do you ever practice what you preach?!?! /serious!!

KSBisonFan
11-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Mute point and moot point is a commonly misunderstood phrase. Mute means to silence or quiet. Moot means impractical or irrelevant. A moot point means that the issue isn't up for debate and is irrelevant as the outcome has already been determined. There is no phrase of mute point. The correct terminology is moot point. dictionary.reference.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moot)*

Sorry TABS, I have your posts on MUTE. What did you say? Nevermind, it's probably a MOOT point.

perthbison
11-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Pretty sure Grant Olson will be doing the surgery on himself so who pays the bills is a mute point in his case.A guy I know once worked with a doc who performed his own vasectomy. True story. sorry for the drift

IzzyFlexion
11-13-2013, 11:03 AM

You dick !! http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/familyguy/images/thumb/c/cf/Adam_We.JPG/400px-Adam_We.JPG