PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Schedule

aces1180
11-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Last night, Dom posted the 2014 football schedule on the Bison Media Blog:

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/?p=89796

This was the first time I had seen the MVFC portion. Eight straight without a break late in the season is going to be a meat grinder.

I think he makes some good points about playing 12 games in 2014, especially because the bye weeks are bunched within three weeks of each other (four if the Montana game is moved).

What are everyone's thoughts?

And yes, I'll bring it up...UN_ also has an open date on September 20. Would they come down for a one-time guarantee game to kickstart the rivalry?

NDSUKurt
11-06-2013, 02:31 PM
I agree with Dom. NDSU should play 12 games because it is a golden opportunity to get a home and home with the return game in the future. This way NDSU could still get 6 home games in 2014 with the road game first and then have the return game in 2015 or 2016.

Personally, assuming the ESPN and Montana opportunity does not work out, I would love to see something like this:

August 30th - at Iowa State
September 6th – vs. Montana
September 13th – OPEN DATE (a road game of a home and home with an average team - such as Central Arkansas, Tennessee State, Jackson State)
September 20th – OPEN DATE (a home game against a "not good team" like Delaware State, Grambling State, Idaho State)
September 27th – OPEN DATE
The Missouri Valley Schedule

To me, going road-home-road-home-bye to start the season would be the best. Flip flopping what I have for the 13th and 20th would work, but then NDSU would go 3 weeks without a home game, and I don't think Bohl and Gene Taylor would like that.

Of course, this is all dependent on the fact that teams are actually willing to play NDSU, which we found out last season, is not always the case.

Just my two cents.

Tatanka
11-06-2013, 02:32 PM
I agree with Dom. NDSU should play 12 games because it is a golden opportunity to get a home and home with the return game in the future. This way NDSU could still get 6 home games in 2014 with the road game first and then have the return game in 2015 or 2016.

Personally, assuming the ESPN and Montana opportunity does not work out, I would love to see something like this:

August 30th - at Iowa State
September 6th – vs. Montana
September 13th – OPEN DATE (a road game of a home and home with an average team - such as Central Arkansas, Tennessee State, Jackson State)
September 20th – OPEN DATE (a home game against a "not good team" like Delaware State, Grambling State, Idaho State)
September 27th – OPEN DATE
The Missouri Valley Schedule

To me, going road-home-road-home-bye to start the season would be the best. Flip flopping what I have for the 13th and 20th would work, but then NDSU would go 3 weks without a home game to start the season, and I don't think Bohl and Gene Taylor would like that.

Of course, this is all dependent on the fact that teams are actually willing to play NDSU, which we found out last season, is not always the case.

Just my two cents.

Aces' suggestion for September 20 fits your criteria for September 20. That said, screw 'em.

GPSIT
11-06-2013, 02:40 PM
UN_ on September 20th would still be a bye......

JDZ
11-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Maybe the ship has sailed, but assuming 11 games, it would be nice to move one of the MVFC games into one of the early open dates to create a bye later in the season during conference play.

aces1180
11-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Maybe the ship has sailed, but assuming 11 games, it would be nice to move one of the MVFC games into one of the early open dates to create a bye later in the season during conference play.

I personally think that would be the best-case scenario...It has been shown in past years (and this year), that the late-season bye does wonders for the health of our squad.

NDSUKurt
11-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Aces' suggestion for September 20 fits your criteria for September 20. That said, screw 'em.

I went to NDSU from 2003-2008, so only saw 1 game in the rivalry (my freshman year). Plus, coming from Michigan, I was not aware to how big of a rivalry it was (to me , Michigan State-Michigan is THE rivalry to worry about). So unlike a lot of the posters on here, to me, the UND "issue" is not a big deal because I never really was a part of it.

But yes, UND would meet what I said as a "not good team".

bisonmike2
11-06-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm normally for playing UN_ but not next year. Too many unknowns with our team and I certainly don't want us to play UN_ for the first time in 10 years with 20 new starters. Can you imagine the shit they would spew if the beat us, a three time FCS national champion?

aces1180
11-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm normally for playing UN_ but not next year. Too many unknowns with our team and I certainly don't want us to play UN_ for the first time in 10 years with 20 new starters. Can you imagine the shit they would spew if the beat us, a three time FCS national champion?

20 new starters?...We only lose 13 next year, which isn't too bad.

Offense:
Jensen
Smith
Ojuri
Turner
Gimmestad
Vaadeland
Grothman

Defense:
Jirik
Perry
Drevlow
Olson
Williams

Special teams:
Murphy

Two-deep:
Nack
Nelson
Luecke
Gordon
Rodgers
Pierre
Sheppard
Voorhis

Luecke and Sheppard play key roles in the current defense scheme, however.

344Johnson
11-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Offense:
Jensen
Smith
Ojuri
Turner
Gimmestad
Vaadeland
Grothman

Defense:
Jirik
Perry
Drevlow
Olson
Williams

Special teams:
Murphy

Down-side to playing......the stupid amount of pressure to continue playing.

aces1180
11-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Down-side to playing......the stupid amount of pressure to continue playing.

I'm saying it has to happen...It's just a possibility. Unless they play the game on our terms, for a guarantee with no return game to GF, I say forget it as well.

bisonmike2
11-06-2013, 02:59 PM

Offense:
Jensen
Smith
Ojuri
Turner
Gimmestad
Vaadeland
Grothman

Defense:
Jirik
Perry
Drevlow
Olson
Williams

Special teams:
Murphy

Two-deep:
Nack
Nelson
Luecke
Gordon
Rodgers
Pierre
Sheppard
Voorhis

Luecke and Sheppard play key roles in the current defense scheme, however.

I round up.

MarkyMark
11-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Last night, Dom posted the 2014 football schedule on the Bison Media Blog:

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/?p=89796

This was the first time I had seen the MVFC portion. Eight straight without a break late in the season is going to be a meat grinder.

I think he makes some good points about playing 12 games in 2014, especially because the bye weeks are bunched within three weeks of each other (four if the Montana game is moved).

What are everyone's thoughts?

And yes, I'll bring it up...UN_ also has an open date on September 20. Would they come down for a one-time guarantee game to kickstart the rivalry?

I never thought UND would agree to a 1 game deal in Fargo but they need this game badly to rebuild interest in their football program.

Plus they need money, UND had a deficit of 700k in their athletic department last year, that's on top of having the lowest paid coaches in the Big Sky. I would say there is a decent chance they would agree to a 1 game payday in Fargo especially if it was tacked onto a home and home game in 2015 and 2017.

HerdBot
11-06-2013, 03:02 PM
If we really have a chance to get the Montana game on ESPN, we need to schedule 12 games. I don't care if they are D2 games because we can't pass up that kind of free exposure. But I think when the team is red hot, you want to have as many home games as possible and by having that many bye weeks, you run the risk of really getting out of sync. In a perfect world, book a home game for the 13th and 20th. These early season games ALWAYS sell out just because of warm weather tailgating and more student involvement.

coloradobison
11-06-2013, 03:03 PM
by payday do you mean like $50K? We've had to pay over $200k to get cupcakes in here the last couple years, I'd hope if they drive the hour down it would be for a reasonably cheap price.

aces1180
11-06-2013, 03:05 PM
by payday do you mean like $50K? We've had to pay over $200k to get cupcakes in here the last couple years, I'd hope if they drive the hour down it would be for a reasonably cheap price.

I was thinking somewhere in the range of $80-$100K, with bus fare and 100 pizzas from Slap Shot for the ride home.

MarkyMark
11-06-2013, 03:08 PM

No, NDSU would have to pay the going rate plus more to get a 1 game deal with UND. We paid 180K to D2 Ferris St., I doubt we ever see another team accept less than 200k to come to Fargo.

aces1180
11-06-2013, 03:09 PM
No, NDSU would have to pay the going rate plus more to get a 1 game deal with UND. We paid 180K to D2 Ferris St., I doubt we ever see another team accept less than 200k to come to Fargo.

This is the reality...But about what is best for the state of North Dakota? UN_ should surely give us a discount.

RedRiver
11-06-2013, 03:20 PM
No, that would not happen. The going rate between between the two schools would be $0. There is a big difference between scheduling an in-state opponent like _ND and other teams that fly into Fargo.

abc123
11-06-2013, 03:29 PM
No, that would not happen. The going rate between between the two schools would be $0. There is a big difference between scheduling an in-state opponent like _ND and other teams that fly into Fargo.
You think UND would come play a one-time game down in Fargo for free? Wow, not even sure where to start with that one.

UND does have an open date on the 20th, but I don't see them filling it unless it would help future schedules (the away part of a home/home). More likely they stick with 11 games.

MarkyMark
11-06-2013, 03:31 PM

Your statement is based on what? All the past deals we have been able to make with UND (none) or how you think things should work? UND and any FCS program can get 300K to 500K to play an FBS school. There is also no pressure to win an FBS game for most FCS programs. NDSU is competing with FBS schools for FCS 1 game deals. This is why its so hard for us to find opponents.

aces1180
11-06-2013, 03:32 PM
You think UND would come play a one-time game down in Fargo for free? Wow, not even sure where to start with that one.

UND does have an open date on the 20th, but I don't see them filling it unless it would help future schedules (the away part of a home/home).

If NDSU offers a contract to UN_ for a one-game guarantee, which is almost certainly rejected, do we hear about it? I can't see Faison running to the media in this case.

abc123
11-06-2013, 03:37 PM
If NDSU offers a contract to UN_ for a one-game guarantee, which is almost certainly rejected, do we hear about it? I can't see Faison running to the media in this case.
My guess is Faison responds with that he has had the offer that Gene Taylor originally asked for on the table. And if by running to the media, you mean having to answer questions that were asked to Faison because of comments made by Gene Taylor, then depends on what GT tells Izzo/Kolpack. Regardless, I assume UND sticks with an 11 game schedule as they did this year. The 20th is right before conference play starts with games against UM/MSU.

aces1180
11-06-2013, 03:39 PM
My guess is Faison responds with that he has had the offer that Gene Taylor asked for on the table. And if by running to the media, you mean having to answer questions that were asked to Faison because of comments made by Gene Taylor, then depends on what GT tells Izzo/Kolpack. Regardless, I assume UND sticks with an 11 game schedule as they did this year. The 20th is right before conference play starts with games against UM/MSU.

If you don't think Faison has burned some bridges with NDSU by running to the media in the past (banner-gate, anyone?), your head is in the sand.

coloradobison
11-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Your statement is based on what? All the past deals we have been able to make with UND (none) or how you think things should work? UND and any FCS program can get 300K to 500K to play an FBS school. There is also no pressure to win an FBS game for most FCS programs. NDSU is competing with FBS schools for FCS 1 game deals. This is why its so hard for us to find opponents.

I'm sure that Gene and Co. have all the info they need budget wise on what is best for the athletic budget and the team as far as schedule makeup as best they can in weighing paying $200k-$300K for a home game versus signing some sort of home and home contract. We all know they want to maximize the number of home games in each year, but there is certainly a point with the budget where it doesn't make sense to do so if the payout is so large.

RedRiver
11-06-2013, 03:45 PM
The game will not be scheduled. The only wat the two teams play in the near future is if it is a playoff game or the state legislature requires it. In both of those cases there would be no payout from one school to the other.

Tatanka
11-06-2013, 03:46 PM
If you don't think Faison has burned some bridges with NDSU by running to the media in the past (banner-gate, anyone?), your head is in the sand.

If by "the sand" you mean "the arse", this would be accurate.

MarkyMark
11-06-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm sure that Gene and Co. have all the info they need budget wise on what is best for the athletic budget and the team as far as schedule makeup as best they can in weighing paying $200k-$300K for a home game versus signing some sort of home and home contract. We all know they want to maximize the number of home games in each year, but there is certainly a point with the budget where it doesn't make sense to do so if the payout is so large.

I definitely agree with you. I am very tired of people (mostly UND alum) that come out and say the game should be brought back for the good of the people of ND.

Nether side owes the other side anything at this point, both UND and NDSU should play it only if they can strike a deal that is in the best interest of their programs.

abc123
11-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Faison didn't run to the media with it, some college assistant who thought it was funny (which it was) and tweeted a picture of it. Faison wasn't even there when the package was opened, he was in meetings all that morning per the article about it. Should it have been done, no. Was it amusing at the expense of the NCAA, yep. And the last time the scheduling of a UND/NDSU game was in the media was because of comments Gene Taylor made to Izzo.

I don't see a game being schedule until Gene Taylor is no longer at NDSU.

StL Bison Fan
11-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Gene should send them a contract. Give them gas money and sonic meals.
Wait a few days and whine to the media they won't play. Then never look back.
Or maybe they can just forget the bus and let them come down in their 'flag ship'.

abc123
11-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Gene should send them a contract. Give them gas money and sonic meals.
Wait a few days and whine to the media they won't play. Then never look back.
Or maybe they can just forget the bus and let them come down in their 'flag ship'.
Wouldn't be an issue if they would hurry up and finish the bullet train.

Tatanka
11-06-2013, 04:44 PM
How many can you fit into the helmet car?

StL Bison Fan
11-06-2013, 04:46 PM
How many can you fit into the helmet car?

Same number of clowns... Oh wait, same thing

JSUBison
11-06-2013, 05:33 PM

Now that DII games count for something in the playoff committee's eyes, the going rate to bring in a team just went down. Ferris State was a very late add, which is part why they got such a high amount, but now that DII's can be scheduled, I think Gene can start to have a bit of negotiating power again with other FCS teams. It doesn't mean we have to schedule a DII, just that we now have that option and other FCS AD's know that.

aces1180
11-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Now that DII games count for something in the playoff committee's eyes, the going rate to bring in a team just went down. Ferris State was a very late add, which is part why they got such a high amount, but now that DII's can be scheduled, I think Gene can start to have a bit of negotiating power again with other FCS teams. It doesn't mean we have to schedule a DII, just that we now have that option and other FCS AD's know that.

Bring on Mankato State!

southcliffbison
11-06-2013, 05:41 PM

UND does have an open date on the 20th, but I don't see them filling it unless it would help future schedules (the away part of a home/home). More likely they stick with 11 games.

I agree with the undies sticking to 11 games; after watching the season they've had...... hell, I think they'd want to drop one and only play 10, with most of them away from the Alerus Center.

Bison Gal
11-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Kansas State still has openings for a third non-conference game. NDSU is even brought up by a fan as an option.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=173&f=2670&t=12265813

FYI - I don't think we should play them.....I just find it fun and amusing we still come up as a topic in their threads. :)

bisonboone11
11-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Kansas State still has openings for a third non-conference game. NDSU is even brought up by a fan as an option.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=173&f=2670&t=12265813

FYI - I don't think we should play them.....I just find it fun and amusing we still come up as a topic in their threads. :)

That's probably how UN_ fans feel when they read threads like this.

NDSU1980
11-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Well, another thread down the drain because of few think we have to go crawling back to UN_ for a game. Why can't you people have more self esteem? They dumped us, kicked sand in our faces and said go screw a tree.

We don't agree to playing them on any terms. Why help the dumb bastards out???????

aces1180
11-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Well, another thread down the drain because of few think we have to go crawling back to UN_ for a game. Why can't you people have more self esteem? They dumped us, kicked sand in our faces and said go screw a tree.

We don't agree to playing them on any terms. Why help the dumb bastards out???????

Considering how I am the OP and brought up the topic, I don't think the thread is down the drain.

I think they should come to Fargo, play for a low guarantee in the range of $80-$100K and get an ass beating of epic proportions.

I'm not too sure that would do much to help them out.

ndsubison1
11-06-2013, 08:05 PM

if they want to play us then make the playoffs

JDZ
11-06-2013, 09:10 PM
We could do like Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word did this year--schedule a home and home within one season. Turn around a go out to Montana a couple weeks after we play them the first time.

http://acusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

http://www.cardinalathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=football&

coloradobison
11-06-2013, 09:13 PM
They wouldn't want to lose to use twice in the span of a couple weeks.

DePereBisonFan
11-06-2013, 09:55 PM
From my perspective, a home-and-home contract should be used with a quality team, not a greatly-lesser team. Maybe a guideline would be a team that consistently competes for conference championships, whether BSC, SoCon, Southland, CAA or OVC.

heffray
11-07-2013, 02:06 AM
I hope we don't ever play those losers again, but if we do, here's a question:

What is the acceptable amount of points we need to win by/score/let them score on us... to guarantee that it WILL NOT be good for their program?

BisonTeacher
11-07-2013, 02:13 AM

Agreed!!! Those suckwagons should pay us to play.

bisonfanette
11-07-2013, 02:27 AM
Those suckwagons should pay us to play.

And the definition of a suckwagon is... I'm sure I'll get the tutorial soon! Don't use that word in the classroom!

BisonTeacher
11-07-2013, 02:29 AM
And the definition of a suckwagon is... I'm sure I'll get the tutorial soon! Don't use that word in the classroom!

I was going to use jackwagons....but we are talking about the whioux...so suckwagon seemed appropriate.

MAKBison
11-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Its not a big deal to a lot of us.

I went to NDSU from 2003-2008, so only saw 1 game in the rivalry (my freshman year). Plus, coming from Michigan, I was not aware to how big of a rivalry it was (to me , Michigan State-Michigan is THE rivalry to worry about). So unlike a lot of the posters on here, to me, the UND "issue" is not a big deal because I never really was a part of it.

But yes, UND would meet what I said as a "not good team".