PDA

View Full Version : EWU @ Montana......Redux

moosbah
10-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Looked and didn't see a thread on this game (if there is one, nevermind).

I'd like the thoughts of those that watched this game. Overall I wasn't impressed with Montana. Their O line got pushed around a lot and their D was good, but not great. Canada is a good back, but they lack many other weapons.
EWU has a formidable passing attack, but almost no run game, aside from their (personal opinion here) complete clown of a QB (nothing says all star tool like the singular eye black). He has some serious scoots, and can throw a nice deep ball when he's not being pressured (which was often the case on Saturday). EWU appears to have a knack for either letting up late in games on D, or they have poor conditioning, not sure which, but Montana was able to rally on the Eaglettes with relative ease in the 4th quarter.

Overall impression is Montana won't go too deep into the playoffs (assuming they make it) and EWU better score a TON of points early in their playoff games, or they won't be around long.

Grizzled
10-28-2013, 08:57 PM
I've watched both play multiple times this year. Neither will be able to compete with NDSU, they may win a game early in the playoffs.

I think Montana is a year away from being somewhat competitive. They need to get stronger up front and need to improve on D.

EWU is not mentally tough enough to win in the playoffs. They are a team that if things are going well, they play well but if things start to get tough, they don't have the mental toughness to overcome that. They also are not very strong upfront and as you mentioned, really lack a running attack.

tjbison
10-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Depth......neither have it. both teams were physically wore out and it made the 4th sloppy

they are great first half teams but trickle out in the Second

moosbah
10-28-2013, 09:08 PM
If you weren't aware, Vernon is whoring himself on his own website.

www.bigplayva.com

StL Bison Fan
10-28-2013, 09:25 PM

www.bigplayva.com

It just screams 'Team' doesn't it?

TAILG8R
10-28-2013, 09:26 PM

www.bigplayva.com

Now I really want to see this clown in the dome!

bisonaudit
10-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Montana made all the typical poor coaching decisions that almost every coach makes in the 4th quarter. They were down 18 w/ like 10ish minutes to play. They got the 3 possession that they needed but they kicked the PAT after scoring a TD on the first drive when they should have gone for 2. Then they made an even bigger mistake on their next possession when they kicked a FG on 4th and 2 from the 22 instead of going for 8.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-28-2013, 09:30 PM

www.bigplayva.com

What is he trying to accomplish with this site? I wonder what his teammates and coaches think about this site?

I've never cared for self promoting, primadonna's like this. Give me the old fashioned, smash mouth Mike Ditka's, Dick Butkus's and Larry Csonka's of the football world anyday.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-28-2013, 09:44 PM

www.bigplayva.com

Compare this to Vernon's website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxR9qYSHt8U

tjbison
10-28-2013, 10:30 PM

www.bigplayva.com

it's a EWU marketing website and has a copyright by Eastern Washington University

sad and really gay

TAILG8R
10-28-2013, 10:36 PM
it's a EWU marketing website and has a copyright by Eastern Washington University

sad and really gay

Even more disturbing for teammates one would think.

NDSUstudent
10-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Montana made all the typical poor coaching decisions that almost every coach makes in the 4th quarter. They were down 18 w/ like 10ish minutes to play. They got the 3 possession that they needed but they kicked the PAT after scoring a TD on the first drive when they should have gone for 2. Then they made an even bigger mistake on their next possession when they kicked a FG on 4th and 2 from the 22 instead of going for 8.

Not that it makes the mistake any better but their coach was quoted as saying he thought it was 4th and 8 instead of 4th and short.

taper
10-28-2013, 11:43 PM
Not that it makes the mistake any better but their coach was quoted as saying he thought it was 4th and 8 instead of 4th and short.

I think that makes it worse. How do you not know where the sticks are?

Mayville Bison
10-29-2013, 03:10 PM

I haven't looked at the game to see how this played out, but if you are down by 11 isn't kicking the FG the right choice? I thought the golden rule was to get it to a 1-possession game as quick as possible. You can always throw a hail mary with one second on the clock from anywhere on the field. Can't kick a FG from the 50-yd line.

bisonaudit
10-29-2013, 03:16 PM
I haven't looked at the game to see how this played out, but if you are down by 11 isn't kicking the FG the right choice? I thought the golden rule was to get it to a 1-possession game as quick as possible. You can always throw a hail mary with one second on the clock from anywhere on the field. Can't kick a FG from the 50-yd line.

This is totally backward but absolutely typical of the thinking that leads to nearly everyone accepting these terrible decisions. You're on the 22 yard line and you NEED a touchdown. When are you going to get a better chance to get in the end zone? They call it a Hail Mary for a reason. You'd be much better off only needing 3 on the last possession. It shortens the field by 30 yards.

When you're down 18 with less than 10 minutes to play your chances of winning are not good but the goal isn't to lose by less, it's to maximize your slim odds of winning.

Mayville Bison
10-29-2013, 03:47 PM
This is totally backward but absolutely typical of the thinking that leads to nearly everyone accepting these terrible decisions. You're on the 22 yard line and you NEED a touchdown. When are you going to get a better chance to get in the end zone? They call it a Hail Mary for a reason. You'd be much better off only needing 3 on the last possession. It shortens the field by 30 yards.

When you're down 18 with less than 10 minutes to play your chances of winning are not good but the goal isn't to lose by less, it's to maximize your slim odds of winning.

I guess it depends on how much time is left - I should really go look at how the 4th quarter went.

I don't think they played it all that wrong - just didn't work out in the end. 4 TDs in the 4th is what they need.
After the first TD to get it to 18, you could argue they go for 2 there to get it to 2TDs and a FG. However, the goal is to limit the number of scoring possessions - if you fail and they convert a FG, you are looking at a 22 point deficit.
After the second TD to get it to 11, if you plan on ever kicking a FG, you have to go for 2 here. If you don't plan on kicking a FG, 1 is fine because then it keeps it a 2-score game if you give up that FG. (7.5 minutes left, I would've gone for 2)
Can't figure out when the missed FG happened, but let's say it happened on the last drive where they scored the TD. If they kick the FG as soon as they get into range (assuming they make it), now they have over 2 minutes. If you have over 2 minutes, you can still theoretically stop the opposing team and get the ball back if you don't get the onside kick. If you have less than 2 minutes, and you don't get the onside kick, game is over.

bisonaudit
10-29-2013, 05:03 PM
I guess it depends on how much time is left - I should really go look at how the 4th quarter went.

I don't think they played it all that wrong - just didn't work out in the end. 4 TDs in the 4th is what they need.
After the first TD to get it to 18, you could argue they go for 2 there to get it to 2TDs and a FG. However, the goal is to limit the number of scoring possessions - if you fail and they convert a FG, you are looking at a 22 point deficit.
After the second TD to get it to 11, if you plan on ever kicking a FG, you have to go for 2 here. If you don't plan on kicking a FG, 1 is fine because then it keeps it a 2-score game if you give up that FG. (7.5 minutes left, I would've gone for 2)
Can't figure out when the missed FG happened, but let's say it happened on the last drive where they scored the TD. If they kick the FG as soon as they get into range (assuming they make it), now they have over 2 minutes. If you have over 2 minutes, you can still theoretically stop the opposing team and get the ball back if you don't get the onside kick. If you have less than 2 minutes, and you don't get the onside kick, game is over.

If you're down 22 because they kicked a FG on you, they've also run clock and you're shorter on time. That's your bigger enemy and you're going to lose anyway. So, I think you've got to assume you're not going to allow any more points and even failing that you just keep going for 2. 22 is still 3 possessions just like 21 is.

The missed FG happened on 4th and 2 from the 22 down 11 when they should have gone for 8 instead of kicking.

Mayville Bison
10-29-2013, 05:49 PM
If you're down 22 because they kicked a FG on you, they've also run clock and you're shorter on time. That's your bigger enemy and you're going to lose anyway. So, I think you've got to assume you're not going to allow any more points and even failing that you just keep going for 2. 22 is still 3 possessions just like 21 is.

The missed FG happened on 4th and 2 from the 22 down 11 when they should have gone for 8 instead of kicking.

Ya, either way chances are slim for the comeback, so I can kinda see that side. How much time was left in the game when they kicked the FG? Knowing they scored a TD later, I'm going to assume there were at least 4 minutes left. In that case, I'd definitely go for 8. 8 is so much trickier than 7 which is why they should have gone for 2 on the previous TD if a FG was ever in their plans.

Herd80
10-29-2013, 07:28 PM
It was bad enough to go for the field goal, but pushing it wide screwed whatever momentum UM had picked up in the 4th quarter...and they had really turned the mo around in the 4th. UM handed EWU 21 points with turnovers and penalties, it's amazing they even had a comeback opportunity.

Was at the game, and yes...the UM line(s) got pushed around most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters. UM tried running between tackles over and over without success...about the only yardage gained was Johnson bolting up the middle on scrambles. The bigger problem was the 147 arm tackles the EWU receivers broke. UM secondary is a bigger problem for them than either line, and Adams chewed them up. He may be a douche, but he's damn shifty and has a pretty good arm. It would be interesting to see the YAC stats out of the bazillion passing yards. That said, I would put a pile of money on our O and D lines against either the Griz or EWU. Lots of line size on both teams, but I think they would be beat up and gassed by the 4th quarter.

bisonmike2
10-29-2013, 08:58 PM

sad and really gay

They play on a field that is a dark shade of pink. There not much known for their tact.

BadlandsBison
10-29-2013, 10:58 PM
They play on a field that is a dark shade of pink. There not much known for their tact.

Lets make a webpage for Ben Lecompte

EndZoneQB
10-30-2013, 06:37 PM

I tend to agree with you, but I'm not sure it's cut and dry. I think it depends on the matchup and particular game, but yeah I agree. when you are in the redzone(or that close to it) you have to assume you won't get another chance with that much time on the clock.

I feel the same way about punting when you have 3 and 8 and you try to get all 8 yards on 3rd down. Try to make it 4th and ~3 instead of 1st and 10...give yourself a legit shot at converting. ALWAYS bugs me.

bisonaudit
10-30-2013, 06:45 PM
I feel the same way about punting when you have 3 and 8 and you try to get all 8 yards on 3rd down. Try to make it 4th and ~3 instead of 1st and 10...give yourself a legit shot at converting. ALWAYS bugs me.

I can't express how much I agree with this. To me this is a huge waste.

It would be an adjustment for everyone initially, but with a spring and fall camp to install the philosophy that "we're not punting nearly as much as we used to and correspondingly we're in 4 down territory a lot more now and we're going to call plays accordingly" it's one that teams should be able to make.

runtheoption
10-30-2013, 08:56 PM
I can't express how much I agree with this. To me this is a huge waste.

It would be an adjustment for everyone initially, but with a spring and fall camp to install the philosophy that "we're not punting nearly as much as we used to and correspondingly we're in 4 down territory a lot more now and we're going to call plays accordingly" it's one that teams should be able to make.Ditto. Don't feel like researching and posting it now as "evidence", but there are a few studies that point out the advantages to going for the 1st down when in the other team's territory instead of punting it away. I am clearly not a statistician, but the methods and data used seemed pretty solid.

344Johnson
10-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Lets make a webpage for Ben Lecompte

BenBigLeGomte.gov

....I'll show myself out.