PDA

View Full Version : 12th game?????

NDSUstudent
04-26-2006, 01:48 AM
DEBATABLE ISSUE: ADD A 12TH GAME?

Pretty much everyone involved in I-AA football has backed the name change, and it would be hard to argue with more funding and playoff enhancements. Those changes will basically get rubber-stamped and should be in place for the 2006 season.

But the discussions for a 12-game season and seeding eight teams in the playoffs are going to be much more tense.

On January 5th, the Presidential Advisory Group indicated support for the adoption of a proposal of a 12th game for I-AA football teams. Grube indicated that the majority of I-AA representatives felt a 12th game would work well with the ability of I-A teams to permit a I-AA game to be counted toward bowl eligibility on an annual basis.

In an e-mail response, Grube gave the reasoning for the group’s motivations.

Grube wrote, "While I cannot account for the thinking of all members of the I- AA / I-AAA advisory group, several motivations were evident: 1) the opportunity to schedule I-AA opponents by I-A teams was enhanced and the option to have a 12th game gave I-AA teams an option; 2) the 12th game proposal was optional, not required; 3) the scheduling of a I-A opponent brought a certain amount of prestige and publicity to the I-AA program; 4) fan support for their I-AA team to regularly schedule a I-A team; and 5) the possibility of a game which would bring additional revenue to the athletics budget."

Longtime I-AA observer Otto Fad, who runs College Football Annual Advantage, believes 12 games are necessary for I-AA teams to stay on a level playing field with their I-A counterparts.

"I like the 12th game, if I-A schools are going to have it then it kind of defeats the purpose of being all Division I and draws more division if we don’t have it in I-AA," Fad said. "You have a chance to do something big, like UC- Davis last year (a 20-17 win against Stanford), that goes beyond the check you’re cashing."

"It would be extremely short-sighted not to add the 12th game."

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4017222.htm

If this comes to pass look for NDSU to try and get another home game next year against a IAA team if we are lucky. I remember hearing Bohl say he wants to play as many games as possible since we can't make the playoffs.

MplsBison
04-26-2006, 02:04 PM
I also remember Taylor saying that even if we could schedule 12 games, we might still only schedule 11.

If passed would I-AA schools be allowed to schedule 12 in 06 or not until 07?

If we can get a 12th game, there really is no point in not doing it on the the Sept. 9th date. That's so early in the season that it's basically worthless as a BYE week.

A home game would be great if possible.

Northern Iowa still has an opening on Sept. 9th.

roadwarrior
04-27-2006, 01:14 AM
So does Montana State

MplsBison
04-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Indeed.

Perhaps we could have MSU at home in 06 as the 2nd game to the 05 game at Bozeman?

Then sign a new contract that would make the 07 home game with them the 1st of a home and home?

mikelsch
06-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Current rule on length of I-AA football regular season is...
12 football contests shall be permissible during those years in which there are 14 Saturdays from the first permissible playing date through the last playing date in November (2008, 2013, 2014 and 2019).

Even though it passed through all the other committees, the NCAA Board of Directors recently voted down the proposal to allow 12 regular season games every season. *However, I-AA institutions may call for an override of this vote by June 26, 2006. *Only 15 I-AA schools are needed for an override. *(I've heard there is a good chance this will happen). *Then, the Board may overturn their initial decision, or forward this matter to a vote at the NCAA Convention from January 5-9, 2007. *Each I-AA school gets a vote, and a 5/8 majority is needed to pass legislation.

MplsBison
06-01-2006, 10:25 PM
That's still not quick enough for the 2006 season.

McNeese State could've made some nice money on another game (they had one lined up with UL Lafayette) which would've allowed them to recoup some money in the program lost because of hurricanes.

mikelsch
06-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Board will reconsider I-AA 12th football game (from the NCAA News on June 19, 2006)

The NCAA national office has received the requisite number of requests to override the defeat of a proposal to add a 12th regular-season game in Division I-AA. *More than 15 requests from Division I-AA institutions have been submitted, which means the Division I Board of Directors must revisit the proposal at its August meeting.

Division I-AA members of the Board defeated the measure in April after I-AA representatives on the Division I Management Council approved it two weeks earlier. The Division I-AA Governance Committee also supported the additional game.

The Board will have two options at its August 3 meeting: reaffirm the April decision or acquiesce to the override request. If the Board does the former and the amount of override requests reaches at least 40 by the June 27 deadline for submission (about 20 requests have been received so far), the matter would be settled by a vote of Division I-AA delegates at the 2007 Convention. If the Board approves the measure in August — or if the proposal is subsequently approved at the Convention — the 12th game would become effective for the 2007 season.

Division I-A members of the Board approved a 12th game for that subdivision in April 2005. The upcoming 2006 season is the first under that model.

Last year’s NCAA Convention featured the first override vote since Division I went to a representative governance structure in 1997. Delegates at the 2006 Convention in Indianapolis approved an override vote on increasing scholarships in three women’s sports. A similar vote for women’s soccer was defeated.

MplsBison
06-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Too bad we couldn't get a sixth home game for 2006.

Who voted it down this year?

mikelsch
06-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Too bad we couldn't get a sixth home game for 2006.

Who voted it down this year?

The NCAA Board of Directors

sambini
06-21-2006, 07:14 PM
GREENIE YOU ARE ON TOP OF IT++++++++++++++

MplsBison
06-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Division I-AA members of the Board defeated the measure

Which members were these?

mikelsch
06-22-2006, 03:24 PM
I don't know if the meeting minutes on the NCAA website actually say who voted for and against the proprosal

mikelsch
08-07-2006, 03:24 PM
August 3 Meeting Results from the NCAA website

- 32 override request were received from I-AA schools

- Supported a motion to defer considering the override request on the proposal given the Division I-AA/I-AAA Presidential Advisory Group’s request to have an opportunity to further discuss this matter at its next meeting on October 25, 2006. (Division I-AA vote only: For 2: Grube, McFarland; Against 0; Absent 2: Curran, Bristow.)

[NOTE: In October if the Division I-AA members of the Board upholds their earlier action to defeat Proposal No. 2005-128, a vote of the Division I-AA membership would be scheduled to take place at the Division I Business Session at the 2007 NCAA Convention on January 8, 2007. If members accept the override request and adopt Proposal No. 2005-128 the new action would be subject to another 60 day override period.]

If I was a betting man --- there will be a 12 game season for all DI football starting in 2007

MinotBison
08-07-2006, 03:40 PM
...If I was a betting man --- there will be a 12 game season for all DI football starting in 2007...

Maybe our 12th opponent in 2007 could be (fill in the blank)?

BisonBacker
08-07-2006, 04:14 PM
...If I was a betting man --- there will be a 12 game season for all DI football starting in 2007...

I'd love to see Wyoming on the schedule.

Gamehunter
08-07-2006, 05:43 PM

I'd love to see Wyoming on the schedule.

Already have Minnesota. I'm all for playing 1 85 scholarship team a year, but two is pushing it, especially when we are playing in a league as tough as the Great West.

We already have:
Stephen F. Austin at the Dome Sept 8
Montana St. at the Dome Sept 15

UC Davis at the Dome Oct 6 (homecomming)
Miss. Valley away Oct 13
Minnesota away Oct 20
Southern Utah at the Dome Oct 27

Cal Poly away Nov 10
SDSU away Nov 17

So far that is a good balance of 4 home 4 away.
I would like to see 3 more I-AA non-conference opponents for '07 and 1 DII. That would make 12 games.

PLUS GSU still has to make a return trip to Fargo. Hopefully that is in '08.

IowaBison
08-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Stephen F. Austin on August 8th!

Holy crap that's early!

;)

Gamehunter
08-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Yeh, ya caught me. I jumped the gun a month too early :o

But still, I think they wanted to have a second tune-up game so they would be ready to put the hammer down when the Big Sky opponent comes to the Dome.

mn-bison
08-07-2006, 08:01 PM
I agree with X-factor on one $$$ game per year. *It will be a recruiting tool that "you'll get to play ____" and help balance the books. *The only way I would look at two is this year's situation, with one mid-major and one big time (Gophers may barely make that title this year...) in a year. *The potential loss to a school a level above you isn't frowned upon like in DII.

I'd like to see a home and home with Northern Iowa or maybe a 2 for 1 with a lower BSC school. *(Arkansas, Cincinatti, Syracuse...)

MinotBison
08-07-2006, 08:37 PM
I agree with X-factor on one $$$ game per year. *It will be a recruiting tool that "you'll get to play ____" and help balance the books. *The only way I would look at two is this year's situation, with one mid-major and one big time (Gophers may barely make that title this year...) in a year. *The potential loss to a school a level above you isn't frowned upon like in DII.

I'd like to see a home and home with Northern Iowa or maybe a 2 for 1 with a lower BSC school. *(Arkansas, Cincinatti, Syracuse...)

Did you mean BCS instead of BSC? Arkansas, Cincinnati and Syracuse are BCS schools. As for a two for one arrangement, I rather strongly doubt that any of them would go for it.

I was thinking, though, that there is a school we could play that isn't too far away.......Nahhh, fuhgedaboutit.

mikelsch
10-26-2006, 09:25 PM
12th game proposal to be voted on by FCS schools at the NCAA Convention on Jan 8

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4g3NPUESYGYxqb6kW hCjhgihqYeCDFfj_zcVH1v_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAE3AuRw!!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfMTVL?WCM_GLOBAL_CO NTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/NCAA/NCAA+News/NCAA+News+Online/2006/Association+Updates/Presidential+groups+meet+-+10-26-06+update