PDA

View Full Version : Expectations

onbison09
10-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Thought this was an interesting article from Kolpack http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/415031/group/Sports/. I've definitely been guilty of this at times because I guess I just expect perfection.

Tatanka
10-13-2013, 08:01 PM
He's not wrong.

CaBisonFan
10-13-2013, 08:13 PM
We are spoiled...no doubt.

Even in terms of how the crowd acts. We expect regular-season games to have the atmosphere of a playoff game.

And we expect freshmen fans to 'not' act like freshmen?

Also...it's easier for our fans to unite on the road. 'Us against them.'

MNLonghorn10
10-13-2013, 08:21 PM
95-0? did that beat the spread?

BisonFan02
10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Agree with Kolpack...and on a related note, listening to the "Bison Rewind" post game is bordering ridiculous at this point, and I have had to turn it off in my car the last few weeks. Some of the **** from our fanbase at times is bizarre.

North Side
10-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Some people will almost always complain. I tend not to like people who constantly complain.

onbison09
10-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Some people will almost always complain. I tend not to like people who constantly complain.
Well that's one reason I don't usually post on here during games because I live and die with every play :D

JustinTyem
10-13-2013, 09:42 PM
All Great Interviews,but Brock's interview on "going on the read" starts at the 5:30 min mark !!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7LMdfzdIAE

344Johnson
10-13-2013, 09:48 PM
I do this way too much. Fortunately, a guy called me out on it last season and I think I've gotten a little better at least.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-13-2013, 10:21 PM
We have high expectations for our football program. It's part of the championship tradition at SU. Having high expectations is a good thing as long as it doesn't get out of hand, like personal attacks on players.

If we had a losing program expectations wouldn't be as high and I think one could make the argument that if we had low expectations we would have a losing program as well.

SDbison
10-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Nothing wrong with being critical of the areas that need work.......Bison pass D leaves much to be desired lately. Also, the offense is anemic at times. Those sideline passes were ridiculous and ineffective and Vigen kept calling them. One went for a pick 6. I laugh at those people on this message board that believe you are not a fan if you are critical..........often mislabeled as complaining. I will take an intense, driven for success person who is always trying to better themselves over a complacent, laid back, live and let live personality any day. If the Bison don't shore up their weaknesses and clean up the sloppy play real soon I could see losses at Southern Illinois and Youngstown. Great programs work on getting better and fan expectations are high at NDSU. No apologies from this often critical fan.

HerdBot
10-13-2013, 11:01 PM
We have high expectations for our football program. It's part of the championship tradition at SU. Having high expectations is a good thing as long as it doesn't get out of hand, like personal attacks on players.

If we had a losing program expectations wouldn't be as high and I think one could make the argument that if we had low expectations we would have a losing program as well.

What he said. ^^
I have a major problem with fans criticizing our players, especially starting threads on them. These are student athletes with the key word being student. Some aren't even old enough to drink. I think back to when I was 20 and I could not have handled this kind of pressure. Now if you want to be critical of an NFL player who is getting paid big bucks go ahead but not these guys. Believe me they don't want to screw up and feel worse than we ever will. They don't need fans to tell them they are playing poorly. The coaches tell them that and know more than we do. Criticize a UNIT not an individual.

But we should have super high expectations. That's part of being a championship team

A1pigskin
10-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Being critical for areas that need work IMO is ok as well, just as SDbison says. However; I don't believe in cutting down a player, but instead building him up to be better the next game.

Tony Almeida
10-13-2013, 11:23 PM

Agree. This is what you get when you win championships. So the complainers of the complainers stop complaining!

Kolpack is missing the big picture along with a lot of Bison fans who drink out of the same glass...
Yes we are being a little microscopic at times with our complaints but isn't that a good thing considering the nature of the complaints?

With that said, I know I'm not alone here, but my heart still stops for a second or two whenever Jensen throws an out pass. So there is a little bit of concern here and something we could improve on. The MSU game is a great example because we improved immensely in our passing game especially on the long balls. Good for Vigen to call those plays as well. Our defense is suspect at times as well and SIU will take advantage of that every chance they get. So being worried and demanding perfection may be a little harsh but welcome to the world of winning championships, just ask the big boys.

I myself love what is being talked about everyday about Bison football...because it reminds me of where we are and how successful we have been.

So enjoy it while it lasts...

AjaxTheMighty
10-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Agree. This is what you get when you win championships. So the complainers of the complainers stop complaining!

Kolpack is missing the big picture along with a lot of Bison fans who drink out of the same glass...
Yes we are being a little microscopic at times with our complaints but isn't that a good thing considering the nature of the complaints?

With that said, I know I'm not alone here, but my heart still stops for a second or two whenever Jensen throws an out pass. So there is a little bit of concern here and something we could improve on. The MSU game is a great example because we improved immensely in our passing game especially on the long balls. Good for Vigen to call those plays as well. Our defense is suspect at times as well and SIU will take advantage of that every chance they get. So being worried and demanding perfection may be a little harsh but welcome to the world of winning championships, just ask the big boys.

I myself love what is being talked about everyday about Bison football...because it reminds me of where we are and how successful we have been.

I complain from time to time. But I have earned that right. I have won several championships as player/GM in Tecmo Bowl and many of the Madden games. Most of my play calling was pretty flawless, considering most of my teams set so many records it was bordering on ridiculous!! Also, a Bison two-peat, and even if they 3-peat, is nothing compared to what I did in my day. So, considering my expertise in the area, I have insight that others just don't have!! :biggrin:

thundarsdaddy
10-13-2013, 11:51 PM
[QUOTE=onbison09;778292]Well that's one reason I don't usually post on here during games because I live and die with every play

I guarantee he does even if I havent seen him in person for a long time..too long!!

People say things during the game, that later they regret...usually. If they get to be too big of a blowhard, then encourage them to BIOTA!

BisonFan02
10-13-2013, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE=onbison09;778292]Well that's one reason I don't usually post on here during games because I live and die with every play

I guarantee he does even if I havent seen him in person for a long time..too long!!

People say things during the game, that later they regret...usually. If they get to be too big of a blowhard, then encourage them to BIOTA!

Someone has to keep us under control over in our section! :D

thundarsdaddy
10-14-2013, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE=thundarsdaddy;778313]

Someone has to keep us under control over in our section! :D

Oh Shiest, more hometown folks....I try to get away from you too!...lol We need to get onbison09 to a game this year ...he can sit in our section??

HerdBot
10-14-2013, 12:04 AM

We gave up a 3 year high for points in a back to back weeks. This hasn't all been on the defense since its a total team effort. Turnovers, special teams lapses, and penalties are to blame. No point in singling out players or it would bea long ass list but the criticism of the full team has been warranted over the last 2 weeks

Tatanka
10-14-2013, 12:12 AM
What he said. ^^
I have a major problem with fans criticizing our players, especially starting threads on them. These are student athletes with the key word being student. Some aren't even old enough to drink. I think back to when I was 20 and I could not have handled this kind of pressure. Now if you want to be critical of an NFL player who is getting paid big bucks go ahead but not these guys. Believe me they don't want to screw up and feel worse than we ever will. They don't need fans to tell them they are playing poorly. The coaches tell them that and know more than we do. Criticize a UNIT not an individual.

But we should have super high expectations. That's part of being a championship team

A rational, well thought-out post. Well done.

thundarsdaddy
10-14-2013, 12:19 AM
A rational, well thought-out post. Well done.

Totally agree!

Whenever I see someone post too much negative crap, I always think of the Bison Creed..."The strength of the HERD is in the BISON, and the strength of the BISON is in the HERD!
Throwing individual players to the "wolves" is NOT "Herding around" our Team.

I know...some find this corny, then maybe "some" just dont get it?

onbison09
10-14-2013, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=BisonFan02;778316]

Oh Shiest, more hometown folks....I try to get away from you too!...lol We need to get onbison09 to a game this year ...he can sit in our section??

I has been too long. And I would LOVE to come up for a game. Not sure if I can get away until the semis in the playoffs. But I'll definitely be in Frisco (regardless of if we make it)

gizmo
10-14-2013, 01:01 AM
Let's face it, if MSU's QB and UNI's Farley hadn't gone out of those games with injuries it's quite possible that NDSU would have lost both games. Unthinkable, isn't it? Those were momentum changing moments and up to those points the Bison had played no better than lackluster.

Bison fans are right to be concerned because this team has become complacent. In my opinion, that complacency is showing up in almost every position on the team with the exception of the quarterback and the punter. Brock Jensen is carrying this team right now and that is truly impressive. Eventually, though, he is going to need a little more help.

tjbison
10-14-2013, 01:07 AM
Let's face it, if MSU's QB and UNI's Farley hadn't gone out of those games with injuries it's quite possible that NDSU would have lost both games. Unthinkable, isn't it? Those were momentum changing moments and up to those points the Bison had played no better than lackluster.

Bison fans are right to be concerned because this team has become complacent. In my opinion, that complacency is showing up in almost every position on the team with the exception of the quarterback and the punter. Brock Jensen is carrying this team right now and that is truly impressive. Eventually, though, he is going to need a little more help.

Farley's injury I don't believe had as big of impact on the game as you think but that's just my opinion

DIBISON
10-14-2013, 01:08 AM
And it's quite possible that NDSU would have won both games by even more points. There are multiple momentum changing moments in a game.

Tony Almeida
10-14-2013, 01:12 AM
What he said. ^^

Well said! But that goes for praising as well...praise a UNIT and not an individual like a lot do here on Bisonville...

NDSUstudent
10-14-2013, 01:14 AM

So Grant Olson has become complacent? We are treading quickly into the land of the preposterous.

gizmo
10-14-2013, 01:15 AM
And it's quite possible that NDSU would have won both games by even more points. There are multiple momentum changing moments in a game.

Perhaps I should have said game changing instead of "momentum changing". How many times can the Bison rely on 4th quarter heroics? IMO, the first half counts too....otherwise they wouldn't bother playing it!

gizmo
10-14-2013, 01:33 AM
So Grant Olson has become complacent? We are treading quickly into the land of the preposterous.

I haven't and will not single out any particular player for criticism but teams have been unexpectedly rolling up plenty of yards and points against the Bison defense...especially via the pass.

NDSUstudent
10-14-2013, 01:42 AM
I haven't and will not single out any particular player for criticism but teams have been unexpectedly rolling up plenty of yards and points against the Bison defense...especially via the pass.

Only two teams have really had success through the air against us...MSU and K-State. Against MSU we did force some turnovers. I'd say for the most part our front seven has been very solid all year. The secondary has had a few breakdowns.

BisonFan02
10-14-2013, 01:52 AM

Missouri St: Offense scored 19 if you remove pick 6 and PAT

Rushing - 45yds
Passing - 260yds
Total of 305

UNI: 23 scored

Rushing - 168yds
Passing - 128yds
Total of 296

SDSU: Shutout....0

Rushing - -32
Passing - 156
Total of 124

I'll leave off the OOC beatdowns and FBS Kansas St. Valley competition and the Bison have performed well overall. Have they given up a few big plays a game (accounting for a good chunk of the yardage), yes. But opponents "rolling up plenty of yards and points"? You must be one of the typical "Bison Rewind" callers...I'll hang up and listen.

DORMIE
10-14-2013, 02:04 AM
A lot of truth in the article. We are truly spoiled, starting with 20 National Championships in DII. Our fans almost got a case of reality in the UNI game even though we deserved to win. So many plays were going the wrong way. Bottom line is the expectations when you play at SU. As I told a wrestler many years after we held the Nationals. We have a lot of fans that expect a lot, but it beats being somewhere where nobody gives a shit.

onbison09
10-14-2013, 03:00 AM
A lot of truth in the article. We are truly spoiled, starting with 20 National Championships in DII. Our fans almost got a case of reality in the UNI game even though we deserved to win. So many plays were going the wrong way. Bottom line is the expectations when you play at SU. As I told a wrestler many years after we held the Nationals. We have a lot of fans that expect a lot, but it beats being somewhere where nobody gives a shit.

Exactly. Although do you mean conference titles?

natstar1
10-14-2013, 03:01 AM
maybe means all sports

BisonEngrGirl
10-14-2013, 03:13 AM
It's true that we have high expectations and are more than a little spoiled. But we have to be this way. If there isn't any pressure and the bar isn't set very high, what's the incentive to push yourself as an athlete? We don't win championships with low expectations.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

IzzyFlexion
10-14-2013, 03:16 AM
Exactly. Although do you mean conference titles?

maybe means all sports

I think that it could also mean that the Germans really DID bomb Pearl Harbor.

onbison09
10-14-2013, 03:38 AM
maybe means all sports
That would be correct http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?22852-The-Hall-of-Champs(NDSU-teams-that-have-won-DI-conference-titles)&highlight=Hall+champions. We had 26 NCC titles in football

HerdBot
10-14-2013, 04:15 AM

Rushing - 45yds
Passing - 260yds
Total of 305

Rushing - 168yds
Passing - 128yds
Total of 296

Rushing - -32
Passing - 156
Total of 124

I'll leave off the OOC beatdowns and FBS Kansas St. Valley competition and the Bison have performed well overall. Have they given up a few big plays a game (accounting for a good chunk of the yardage), yes. But opponents "rolling up plenty of yards and points"? You must be one of the typical "Bison Rewind" callers...I'll hang up and listen.

Agree and don't forget about the 2 fumbles on kickoffs that lead to free points.
Total team effort has allowed points this year. But most would agree the secondary has underperformed by our high standards

CaBisonFan
10-14-2013, 05:05 AM
The Bizon expect to win...that's just the way it is.

No one is being complacent. A season of 15 or 16 games is going to have ups and downs. We're in the dawg days.

Presently, we're everyone's national championship game. Beats the alternative.

HerdBot
10-14-2013, 05:16 AM
The Bizon expect to win...that's just the way it is.

No one is being complacent. A season of 15 or 16 games is going to have ups and downs. We're in the dawg days.

Presently, we're everyone's national championship game.Beats the alternative.

Yep. We are everyones Super Bowl. Uni was convinced by almost beating us even though we gave them 2 free possessions, they were a lock for the playoffs. Now they are 0-2 in conference play.

17>1
10-14-2013, 05:55 AM
I usually try to be careful and not rip on any specific player unless it's called for....like a rash of personal foul penalties or something. However, there are times as a fan, that I think it's okay to be vocal at a game in a negative manner. At SDSU, when Dudzik went to down that punt and he was standing 2 yards deep in the endzone, I yelled pretty loudly for the Bison to "Get your heads in the game!!!". When I see a lack of focus resulting in penalties, dropped passes, missed blocking assignments, missed coverages etc., I'm going to absolutely let them know my displeasure. These student athletes do have a lot on their plate, yes, but they also are at NDSU to play football. They put in hours and hours of preparation every week to get ready for these games, and have a tremendous coaching staff to help them get ready as well. They need to come out and be mentally ready at all times, that's the expectation. I don't personally think that it's too much to ask for from these guys. As far as our D is concerned, I think they're doing just fine. Every football game the Bison play presents new challenges and match-ups. To expect our D to shut every team down all the time is not realistic. This is a good conference loaded with a lot of talented players, and players make plays. As far as the pick 6 Brock threw, his arm got hit at the line. If it doesn't get hit, that guy doesn't make a play right there and we aren't talking about it. I've got 100% confidence in Vigen and I understand that every play the Bison run, is run for a reason. Every play or look they give, only sets a D up for something else later. It's a chess game a lot of the time and we're fortunate to have a great chess player calling plays up there. To me, a win is a win, and I'll take it anyway we can. Go Bison!!!!

HerdBot
10-14-2013, 06:31 AM
I usually try to be careful and not rip on any specific player unless it's called for....like a rash of personal foul penalties or something. However, there are times as a fan, that I think it's okay to be vocal at a game in a negative manner. At SDSU, when Dudzik went to down that punt and he was standing 2 yards deep in the endzone, I yelled pretty loudly for the Bison to "Get your heads in the game!!!". When I see a lack of focus resulting in penalties, dropped passes, missed blocking assignments, missed coverages etc., I'm going to absolutely let them know my displeasure. These student athletes do have a lot on their plate, yes, but they also are at NDSU to play football. They put in hours and hours of preparation every week to get ready for these games, and have a tremendous coaching staff to help them get ready as well. They need to come out and be mentally ready at all times, that's the expectation. I don't personally think that it's too much to ask for from these guys. As far as our D is concerned, I think they're doing just fine. Every football game the Bison play presents new challenges and match-ups. To expect our D to shut every team down all the time is not realistic. This is a good conference loaded with a lot of talented players, and players make plays. As far as the pick 6 Brock threw, his arm got hit at the line. If it doesn't get hit, that guy doesn't make a play right there and we aren't talking about it. I've got 100% confidence in Vigen and I understand that every play the Bison run, is run for a reason. Every play or look they give, only sets a D up for something else later. It's a chess game a lot of the time and we're fortunate to have a great chess player calling plays up there. To me, a win is a win, and I'll take it anyway we can. Go Bison!!!!

I disagree.

Lets talk the sdsu Dudzik punt coverage play. He knew he screwed up. He knew it hurt the team and felt like shit. The coaches chewed his ass. It was on tv. He's dealing with hostile SDSU fans. What good comes out of it? Does he suddenly become more focused because of D Bag fans who couldn't run across the field without stopping to catch a breather yell shit at him help? (Sorry was kidding :) )Does it make the situation better? No. Besides its harder than it looks to beat a ball down field, track it and keep track of the yards. Its the first time I've seen him screw it up too.

Booing a guy for a dropped pass? You expect everyone to be perfect? Missed blocking assignment? Tough to know who screwed up sometimes. Blown coverage? Do we really know which safety screwed up?

Its an important game but let the coaches chew players out. They know what they are doing. If you want to help, get in the head of the other teams players. (Like the first Robert Morris playoff game when a fan heckled a player so bad he yelled into the stands got a penalty and eventually kicked out of the game)

Rash of unsportsmanlike penalties is the only time I would yell. Like the Georgia Southern DT who screwed up 3 times.

Best way to deal with any people is to praise publically and criticize privately. (Or in house)

Mayville Bison
10-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Perhaps I should have said game changing instead of "momentum changing". How many times can the Bison rely on 4th quarter heroics? IMO, the first half counts too....otherwise they wouldn't bother playing it!

That's our gameplan for the past how many years. Wear teams out in the first half by keeping their defense on the field with long drives and benefit greatly in the 4th. Look at UNI, SDSU, Georgia Southern last year, 2011 championship game, and many more. I've said it before, if we are behind by 10 going into halftime, but lead the TOP, I know it will be at least a good game in the 4th quarter with most of those coming out as W's.

That gameplan has led to some very nervous games, but it's seemed to work nicely in the Win column.

17>1
10-14-2013, 03:46 PM
I disagree.

Lets talk the sdsu Dudzik punt coverage play. He knew he screwed up. He knew it hurt the team and felt like shit. The coaches chewed his ass. It was on tv. He's dealing with hostile SDSU fans. What good comes out of it? Does he suddenly become more focused because of D Bag fans who couldn't run across the field without stopping to catch a breather yell shit at him help? (Sorry was kidding :) )Does it make the situation better? No. Besides its harder than it looks to beat a ball down field, track it and keep track of the yards. Its the first time I've seen him screw it up too.

Booing a guy for a dropped pass? You expect everyone to be perfect? Missed blocking assignment? Tough to know who screwed up sometimes. Blown coverage? Do we really know which safety screwed up?

Its an important game but let the coaches chew players out. They know what they are doing. If you want to help, get in the head of the other teams players. (Like the first Robert Morris playoff game when a fan heckled a player so bad he yelled into the stands got a penalty and eventually kicked out of the game)

Rash of unsportsmanlike penalties is the only time I would yell. Like the Georgia Southern DT who screwed up 3 times.

Best way to deal with any people is to praise publically and criticize privately. (Or in house)

While I agree with most of what you replied to my post with, you apparently missed a couple of things. I never chewed Dudzik out personally, I said "Come on Bison, get your heads in the game!!" That was for the entire team. At that juncture of the game, we were only up 7-0 and while our D was playing tremendously, our offense and special teams weren't playing very focused football. That's just my opinion however based upon that play and a lot of uncharacteristic penalties. I also never boo anyone, not even the visiting team, but I won't go into that because I think there's another thread on here that you probably started about that very subject. Blown coverage, dropped balls, etc in my opinion are a lot of times a loss of focus. That was my point when bringing those things up, not the fact I expect perfection. Trust me when I say that I'm not the fan that yells all the time and complains, and calls out players on their mistakes. I'm often the one telling others when they're complaining about something, "I'd like to see you do better" or "I've never been in that situation so I have no idea how I would react".

bisonmike2
10-14-2013, 03:51 PM
We expect to win every game. We expect to make the playoffs and we expect to do well in the playoffs. Our expectations are what separates us from a SDSU and UNI.

HerdBot
10-14-2013, 03:53 PM
While I agree with most of what you replied to my post with, you apparently missed a couple of things. I never chewed Dudzik out personally, I said "Come on Bison, get your heads in the game!!" That was for the entire team. At that juncture of the game, we were only up 7-0 and while our D was playing tremendously, our offense and special teams weren't playing very focused football. That's just my opinion however based upon that play and a lot of uncharacteristic penalties. I also never boo anyone, not even the visiting team, but I won't go into that because I think there's another thread on here that you probably started about that very subject. Blown coverage, dropped balls, etc in my opinion are a lot of times a loss of focus. That was my point when bringing those things up, not the fact I expect perfection. Trust me when I say that I'm not the fan that yells all the time and complains, and calls out players on their mistakes. I'm often the one telling others when they're complaining about something, "I'd like to see you do better" or "I've never been in that situation so I have no idea how I would react".

Sorry misread. :) I get pissed but my reaction is normal is just sigh and the players here it. You know the sound of 19k people sighing at the same time.

tjamz
10-14-2013, 04:47 PM

Rushing - 45yds
Passing - 260yds
Total of 305

Rushing - 168yds
Passing - 128yds
Total of 296

Rushing - -32
Passing - 156
Total of 124

Taking what you just said a step further, lets look at UNI a little closer as well... and compare last year to this year (remember, UNI was not THAT GOOD last year)

We had 1 less 1st down than last year and allowed 8 LESS this year as well (Advantage 2013 team)
We allowed 8 less rushing yards in 2012 (Advantage 2012 team)
We allowed 85 LESS passing yards this year and produced 144 MORE (Advantage 2013 team)
Total offense we produced 60 yards less and allowed 11 yards more (Advantage 2012 team)
Fumbles in 2013 we had 3 lost 2; in 2012 we had 2 lost 2 (Advantage 2012)
Fumbles forced 2013 0 in 2012 we forced 1 and they recovered (Slight advantage 2012)
Penalties against: 2012 5 for 54 / 2013 5 for 36 (Slight advantage 2013)
Averaged 2.4 yards per punt more in 2013 than 2012 (Advantage 2013 team)
Net punt yard average was better in 2012 though by 1 yard (advantage 2012 team)
Punt return yardage we were 4.7 yards per return better than 2012 (Advantage 2013 team)
Kickoff returns we were 12 yards per return better in 2013 (Advantage 2013)
Defending kickoff returns we were 9.5 yards per return better in 2013 (Advantage 2013)
Same number of interceptions from 2012 to 2013... however in 2012 we had more yards after the interception by 16 (Advantage 2012)
Time of possession advantage goes to the 2013 team as well by about 1:31 (Advantage 2013 team)
3rd down conversions on offense (6 of 13 in 2012 and 7 of 19 in 2013) (Advantage 2012 team)
3rd down conversions allowed by defense (3 of 7 in 2012 and 2 of 14 in 2013) (Advantage 2013 team)
4th down conversions (1 of 1 in 2012 and 2 of 3 in 2013) (Slight advantage 2012 based on percentage)
Red zone touchdowns (3 of 7 in 2012 and 2 of 3 in 2013) (Advantage 2013 because they got in more often when in that position)
Red zone touchdowns allowed (1 of 3 in 2013 and 2 of 2 in 2012) (Advantage 2013)
We had more sacks for more yards lost in 2012 (Advantage 2012 team)

So on 11 of the 20 stats above we were better in 2013 than 2012 against a team who is better in 2013 than 2012.

tjamz
10-14-2013, 04:48 PM
If I was wrong on any of the stats, I apologize, I tried to proof read it when I was done, but I may have missed something or credited the wrong year with the stat/advantage in error.

http://www.gobison.com/custompages/fb/2013/ndsu5.htm
http://www.gobison.com/custompages/fb/2012/ndsufb4.htm

MankatoBison
10-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Taking what you just said a step further, lets look at UNI a little closer as well... and compare last year to this year (remember, UNI was not THAT GOOD last year)

We had 1 less 1st down than last year and allowed 8 LESS this year as well (Advantage 2013 team)
We allowed 8 less rushing yards in 2012 (Advantage 2012 team)
We allowed 85 LESS passing yards this year and produced 144 MORE (Advantage 2013 team)
Total offense we produced 60 yards less and allowed 11 yards more (Advantage 2012 team)
Fumbles in 2013 we had 3 lost 2; in 2012 we had 2 lost 2 (Advantage 2012)
Fumbles forced 2013 0 in 2012 we forced 1 and they recovered (Slight advantage 2012)
Penalties against: 2012 5 for 54 / 2013 5 for 36 (Slight advantage 2013)
Averaged 2.4 yards per punt more in 2013 than 2012 (Advantage 2013 team)
Net punt yard average was better in 2012 though by 1 yard (advantage 2012 team)
Punt return yardage we were 4.7 yards per return better than 2012 (Advantage 2013 team)
Kickoff returns we were 12 yards per return better in 2013 (Advantage 2013)
Defending kickoff returns we were 9.5 yards per return better in 2013 (Advantage 2013)
Same number of interceptions from 2012 to 2013... however in 2012 we had more yards after the interception by 16 (Advantage 2012)
Time of possession advantage goes to the 2013 team as well by about 1:31 (Advantage 2013 team)
3rd down conversions on offense (6 of 13 in 2012 and 7 of 19 in 2013) (Advantage 2012 team)
3rd down conversions allowed by defense (3 of 7 in 2012 and 2 of 14 in 2013) (Advantage 2013 team)
4th down conversions (1 of 1 in 2012 and 2 of 3 in 2013) (Slight advantage 2012 based on percentage)
Red zone touchdowns (3 of 7 in 2012 and 2 of 3 in 2013) (Advantage 2013 because they got in more often when in that position)
Red zone touchdowns allowed (1 of 3 in 2013 and 2 of 2 in 2012) (Advantage 2013)
We had more sacks for more yards lost in 2012 (Advantage 2012 team)

So on 11 of the 20 stats above we were better in 2013 than 2012 against a team who is better in 2013 than 2012.

Wow, Really really true. Fantastic point

tjamz
10-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Wow, Really really true. Fantastic point

And you guys thought all I was good for was poking fun at CAS/TAB/Izzy/EZ/Longhorn and occasionally sharing divorce stories....

HerdBot
10-14-2013, 05:14 PM
I posted this in another thread but I think it's fitting for this one...

Everyone on Bisonville is a kick ass fan. We're passionate and pay attention to every detail.

Sometimes when your a "super fan" you can forget to enjoy the moment. While I'm confident we will always be a contending team, don't take for granted what we have RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW. This isn't something that happens very often.

We're in the middle of one of the best 3 year runs in college football history. We're Back-To-Back National Champions going for a three peat. The dome is insane right now. We routinely bring 4,000 fans to any stadium. Tailgating has taken a life of it's own. We've beaten Kansas State, Had ESPN Game Day in Fargo, are #1 in the Nation (for 2 years straight?), have a 15 game winning streak, have beaten 2 top 10 ranked teams this year, haven't lost on the road since the tampon game at Eastern Washington, and are getting more media exposure than we ever thought was possible. (Fox Sports North) And we're doing this 2 years in a row with a giant target on our backs!

We only have 5 more regular season home games left and 2 regular season home games. If all goes well we have the playoffs. That will be the end for one of our best teams and best senior classes ever. Its our last chance to watch incredible players like Jensen, Williams, Turner, Ojuri, Smith, and Grant Olson. This is the stretch run of the biggest moment in history. Don't worry about players having a few bad games. Their human just like us.

Enjoy it and continue to kick ass people!!

semobison
10-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Expectations should be high! What bothers me with some of our fans, at least on BV or AGS, is they do not understand how tough our conference games can be top to bottom. We have a handful of people who continually predict a blowout if we are playing any team that's not in the top half of our conference. Then, when we don't win by 45 they complain about how poor we played, or we should have won by more etc..etc... Last week I posted that we should handle MSU but I expected a tough game. One of our fans replied that I was crazy and compared MSU to MSUM! Then there was the Missouri State homecoming thread drift, which was kind of funny, but obvious to me that many on BV didn't find MSU worthy of talking about. We have the best fans in FCS football, just not always the most informed!

BisonFan02
10-14-2013, 07:25 PM
And you guys thought all I was good for was poking fun at CAS/TAB/Izzy/EZ/Longhorn and occasionally sharing divorce stories....

Geez, quit bringing all those facts and stat voodoo in here....this is Bisonville after all! :D

JSUBison
10-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Expectations should be high! What bothers me with some of our fans, at least on BV or AGS, is they do not understand how tough our conference games can be top to bottom. We have a handful of people who continually predict a blowout if we are playing any team that's not in the top half of our conference. Then, when we don't win by 45 they complain about how poor we played, or we should have won by more etc..etc... Last week I posted that we should handle MSU but I expected a tough game. One of our fans replied that I was crazy and compared MSU to MSUM! Then there was the Missouri State homecoming thread drift, which was kind of funny, but obvious to me that many on BV didn't find MSU worthy of talking about. We have the best fans in FCS football, just not always the most informed!

No kidding, I think it may be johnny come lately types, but still. Lot of people forgot how conference play went last year:

33-21
48-7
14-17
54-0
23-17
21-17
20-17
38-20

Aside from YSU and USeD, every game was tight and could have easily gone either way. hope the decemberists can handle NDSU winning by one score or less from time to time.

NorthernBison
10-14-2013, 09:33 PM

I always expect that people will make dumb comments like, "Missouri State is a GREAT team." Even the players do it. News Flash: They are 1-6. They might be a pretty good 1-6 team but they are FAR from GREAT.

I always expect that the Bison will play the same "card counting", "count the possessions and avoid giving things away" type of football. It's very effective and we have used it to near perfection to achieve wins (Not meaningless margins of victory). Just win.

I'm one that said Missouri State was not a team that should beat the Bison unless we underperformed. I believe I actually said we should win by 3 TD's and anything less would mean that we gave some things away. Actually, we gave them a walk in pick 6 and we gave up a long bomb TD pass that is NOT our usual MO. We usually make teams earn points with long drives and can usually make them take 3 instead of 7.

I know we won't always put a team on the field that is as talented and veteran as what we are seeing this year. I'll probably revise my expectations next year but I expect this team to go out and win every Saturday. I don't think anybody is BETTER than us. They will need us to make mistakes or get lucky bounces to win.

Furthermore, I think every player on the team EXPECTS to win every Saturday. That's the way it should be.

HerdBot
10-14-2013, 10:12 PM
I always expect that people will make dumb comments like, "Missouri State is a GREAT team." Even the players do it. News Flash: They are 1-6. They might be a pretty good 1-6 team but they are FAR from GREAT.

I always expect that the Bison will play the same "card counting", "count the possessions and avoid giving things away" type of football. It's very effective and we have used it to near perfection to achieve wins (Not meaningless margins of victory). Just win.

I'm one that said Missouri State was not a team that should beat the Bison unless we underperformed. I believe I actually said we should win by 3 TD's and anything less would mean that we gave some things away. Actually, we gave them a walk in pick 6 and we gave up a long bomb TD pass that is NOT our usual MO. We usually make teams earn points with long drives and can usually make them take 3 instead of 7.

I know we won't always put a team on the field that is as talented and veteran as what we are seeing this year. I'll probably revise my expectations next year but I expect this team to go out and win every Saturday. I don't think anybody is BETTER than us. They will need us to make mistakes or get lucky bounces to win.

Furthermore, I think every player on the team EXPECTS to win every Saturday. That's the way it should be.

We won by 15. some teams do not match up with us with well. Conference beast ysu 5 national championships and larger budget. Siu perennial powerhouse new stadium. Uni good obviously. Sdsu good. Even the bad teams make the playoffs like isu red Wii and USD as the worst team yet coached by a great coach and beat gophers in 10. Last year 4 games were decided by 1 score. Conference play is as hard as playoffs

semobison
10-14-2013, 11:07 PM

Actually your proving my point. We scored twice directly off turnovers and they got a pick six. . I guess those were our takeaways and when we turn it over its a giveaway. Anyway I never said MSU was a great team, I said I thought they would play us tougher than some expected. Ill say this again. Valley games are rarely easy!

NorthernBison
10-14-2013, 11:42 PM
We won by 15. some teams do not match up with us with well. Conference beast ysu 5 national championships and larger budget. Siu perennial powerhouse new stadium. Uni good obviously. Sdsu good. Even the bad teams make the playoffs like isu red Wii and USD as the worst team yet coached by a great coach and beat gophers in 10. Last year 4 games were decided by 1 score. Conference play is as hard as playoffs

Then why do conference teams except NDSU bomb in the playoffs?

YSU was in another conference when they won Titles.

Conference games would be tough in several other conferences too.

You are as good as your record and MSU is 1-6. Everybody else can pretend they are a GREAT team. I'm not buying.

tjbison
10-14-2013, 11:46 PM

You are as good as your record and MSU is 1-6. Everybody else can pretend they are a GREAT team. I'm not buying.

not great but not terrible, I mean they are 1-6 but better than a 1-6 OVC, Southland, NEC etc....team

semobison
10-15-2013, 12:47 AM

Last year all 3 Valley teams won their 1st round playoff game! Wouldn't call that bombing. Uni bombed at Montana in 11, and Lehigh in 10!

I have not seen where ANYBODY called Missouri St. a GREAT team. Better than their record, yes absolutely. Coming into our game they had lost by 14 to Big Ten Iowa, and the other 4 losses were by 6,3,4 and 3 points!

Our Nat. Championship team last season had a 5 week stretch in conference where we had a 3 point loss and wins by 6, 4, and 3 points. In 2010 6 of the 9 Valley teams were tied at 4-4 in conference games. We were one of those teams, made the playoffs and we lost in OT in the quarters!

Call me crazy but when people predict blowout games in the Valley I wonder what the hell have they been watching for the last 5 years!

Tony Almeida
10-15-2013, 12:52 AM

/\ /\ /\ I'm torn \/ \/ \/ :confused: :duel:

HerdBot
10-15-2013, 01:31 AM
/\ /\ /\ I'm torn \/ \/ \/ :confused: :duel:

We won by a larger margin than last year. The biggest misconception is conference play is its easy when in fact its probably harder than the playoffs. I would think 4 playoff games would be easier than 4 straight vs SIU, UNI, SDSU, and Youngstown, wirh 3 on the road. Heck Missouri State would probably be tougher than Lehigh or Robert Morris. The Gophers would likely be a middle of theroad MVFC team. Heck they've lost to USD, our worst team.

tjbison
10-15-2013, 01:33 AM
We won by a larger margin than last year. The biggest misconception is conference play is its easy when in fact its probably harder than the playoffs. I would think 4 playoff games would be easier than 4 straight vs SIU, UNI, SDSU, and Youngstown, wirh 3 on the road. Heck Missouri State would probably be tougher than Lehigh or Robert Morris. The Gophers would likely be a middle of theroad MVFC team. Heck they've lost to USD, our worst team.

usd is I the hunt for the Valley auto at 2-1

UNI is out at 0-2

who would have think it

and I think Indiana St has regained the bottom spot

Tony Almeida
10-15-2013, 01:41 AM

Ok...I'm starting to smell what you're stepping in...go on..

semobison
10-15-2013, 02:23 AM
usd is I the hunt for the Valley auto at 2-1

UNI is out at 0-2

who would have think it

and I think Indiana St has regained the bottom spot

Most Bison fans remember the whooping we put on the Yotes in Sioux Falls last season. Yep, last year was their first season in the Valley and they didn't win a game but most of their other games were competitive. Their 3 losses in Vermillion to ISUR, WIU and UNI were by a total of 13 points. It will be interesting how the rest of the season plays out. From 2005 to 2011 they won 32 and lost only 5 on their home field. They had a remarkable home winning record. Now they already have 2 home conference wins this season. Can they continue their winning ways at home in MVFC play?

Tony Almeida
10-15-2013, 02:52 AM
Most Bison fans remember the whooping we put on the Yotes in Sioux Falls last season. Yep, last year was their first season in the Valley and they didn't win a game but most of their other games were competitive. Their 3 losses in Vermillion to ISUR, WIU and UNI were by a total of 13 points. It will be interesting how the rest of the season plays out. From 2005 to 2011 they won 32 and lost only 5 on their home field. They had a remarkable home winning record. Now they already have 2 home conference wins this season. Can they continue their winning ways at home in MVFC play?

YES! Two words: Joe Glenn

They will continue to improve every game and every year. They will contend for conference titles in the near future.

HerdBot
10-15-2013, 03:38 AM
Ok...I'm starting to smell what you're stepping in...go on..

I just think every week is a battle and its phisical as hell. Threre is a reason we lost to Missouri State in 2010 and absolutely throttled Montana State. We are a tough ass physical league. We do it every week. Pussy teams like Montana State just get out physicalled to the point of submission. They can't handle it and wear down. Power running game is stopped for one half but late in the game they are tired and beaten like a piece of meat with a tenderizer. The 4th quarter talk is real. Not some lame ass slogan. Our team is loaded with tough ass dudes.

Most of the mvfc is like that. Power > Finesse

Tony Almeida
10-15-2013, 09:16 AM
I just think every week is a battle and its phisical as hell. Threre is a reason we lost to Missouri State in 2010 and absolutely throttled Montana State. We are a tough ass physical league. We do it every week. Pussy teams like Montana State just get out physicalled to the point of submission. They can't handle it and wear down. Power running game is stopped for one half but late in the game they are tired and beaten like a piece of meat with a tenderizer. The 4th quarter talk is real. Not some lame ass slogan. Our team is loaded with tough ass dudes.

Most of the mvfc is like that. Power > Finesse

Ok I'm sold......but.......I still think our offense is a little weaker then what most fans put out.

I'm sorry but there's nothing you can say or anybody can say that will change my mind, although seeing long balls actually being attempted let alone completed against MSU got me fired up a bit...

Ndsu84
10-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Our expectations are very high. You could see it at KState when the line of gold Bison fans seemed endless. The KState fans around us were in total disbelief watching the Bison come down from the horse pasture! Ha!

I agree we can't rip on these young men, but someones gotta keep them grounded.

Hammerhead
10-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Just for comparison, I looked up the results from the '86, 88, and 90' teams that were unbeaten.

regular season average score 43-7
Playoff average 37-6

regular season average 42-20
Playoff average 42-18

regular season average 38-15
Playoff average 34-12

THEsocalledfan
10-15-2013, 02:10 PM
They will continue to improve every game and every year. They will contend for conference titles in the near future.

NO, they won't. They are about to be permanently OWNED by SDSU if they pull off that stadium; he will not be able to compete with the superior facilities in Brookings and Fargo. He is in a no win situation; best he can hope for is middle of the road teams.

HerdBot
10-15-2013, 02:17 PM
NO, they won't. They are about to be permanently OWNED by SDSU if they pull off that stadium; he will not be able to compete with the superior facilities in Brookings and Fargo. He is in a no win situation; best he can hope for is middle of the road teams.

It will give them an edge but USD will be able to complete just fine. There is plenty of talent in the footprint. Coaching will keep them competitive and Glenn knows how to win

THEsocalledfan
10-15-2013, 02:48 PM
It will give them an edge but USD will be able to complete just fine. There is plenty of talent in the footprint. Coaching will keep them competitive and Glenn knows how to win

Have you been to Vermin? I rest my case.

TransAmBison
10-15-2013, 02:50 PM
You've got a big if in there. SDSU screwed teh rabbit last time they built a stadium...no reason to believe they won't do it again. Their goal is to be good. They do not shoot for the best and it is apparent.

missingnumber7
10-15-2013, 03:27 PM
YES! Two words: Joe Glenn

How did that work for Joe in Wyoming?

THEsocalledfan
10-15-2013, 03:37 PM
They do not shoot for the best and it is apparent.

In what way? They will have excellent facilities if they pull of the stadium, and note I did use if again.

TransAmBison
10-15-2013, 03:39 PM
In what way? They will have excellent facilities if they pull of the stadium, and not I did use if again.
But you did. They were supposed to have decent bleachers on both sides of CAS, and we know how that turned out. Not saying it won't happen, but I will believe it when I see it.

TransAmBison
10-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Let me put it in terms you will understand. SDSU right now is at a frat party. SDSU has its eyes on a real hot blonde and has been making moves, gettin' her lit up, etc. What I'm saying is by then end of the night they will give up and take the fat, easy girl home.

THEsocalledfan
10-15-2013, 03:46 PM
But you did. They were supposed to have decent bleachers on both sides of CAS, and we know how that turned out. Not saying it won't happen, but I will believe it when I see it.

I think the desire to be as good as NDSU has lit a fire underneath SDSU; I do think they get this done. They plan to score with the hot chick!

TransAmBison
10-15-2013, 03:50 PM
I think the desire to be as good as NDSU has lit a fire underneath SDSU; I do think they get this done. They plan to score with the hot chick!Oh yes, that is the plan. Nobody wants the fat chick at the beginning of the night. I'm just sayin' they will cut some corners.

BisonNation11
10-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Oh yes, that is the plan. Nobody wants the fat chick at the beginning of the night. I'm just sayin' they will cut some corners.

Last time I checked they already have their cheerleading squad...

THEsocalledfan
10-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Let me put it in terms you will understand. SDSU right now is at a frat party. SDSU has its eyes on a real hot blonde and has been making moves, gettin' her lit up, etc. What I'm saying is by then end of the night they will give up and take the fat, easy girl home.

What's the old joke again? Isn't that why God invented beer?

BisonFan02
10-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Oh yes, that is the plan. Nobody wants the fat chick at the beginning of the night. I'm just sayin' they will cut some corners.

Does she hunt and fish? Know your audience. :D

TransAmBison
10-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Does she hunt and fish? Know your audience. :DIsn't that Sumner's ideal first date?

BisonFan02
10-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Isn't that Sumner's ideal first date?

Yessir. I think the real question should be with this new found money for SDSU, will they mandate the cheerleaders to wear knee braces? I hear they are expensive.

HerdBot
10-15-2013, 10:05 PM

He won national championships at Northern Colorado and Montana. Wyoming he had a good year but Wyoming is in a terrible location for recruiting. Well its not like Boise who can draw from a long distance away.

USD is competing for Midwestern kids.

CaBisonFan
10-15-2013, 10:06 PM
USD is competing for Midwestern kids.To come to Vermillion.

Tony Almeida
10-15-2013, 10:55 PM

Have you been to Vermin? I rest my case.

To come to Vermillion.

First of all, Nick Saban wouldn't be able to get anyone to come to Wyoming if they hired him tomorrow...

Second, Joe Glenn is a good coach but he should have stayed in Montana but he got greedy and went to the worst possible FBS school on this side of the Mississippi!

And lastly, USD competed for a title in 1986...had it not been for NDSU they definitely get a natty and that's a helluva lot more than SDSU can say...

...study up before you spout kids!

CaBisonFan
10-15-2013, 10:57 PM
First of all, Nick Saban wouldn't be able to get anyone to come to Wyoming if they hired him tomorrow...

Second, Joe Glenn is a good coach but he should have stayed in Montana but he got greedy and went to the worst possible FBS school on this side of the Mississippi!

And lastly, USD competed for a title in 1986...had it not been for NDSU they definitely get a natty and that's a helluva lot more than SDSU can say...

...study up before you spout kids!

I'm very aware of USD's 2nd place finish to the Bison in '86. Also know that they have had some good years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc94KrpFC9c

I just think that Vermillion is a problem with recruiting in the MVFC.