PDA

View Full Version : The TV broadcasts.

IBleedYellow
10-09-2013, 03:57 AM
So I know almost all of us go to the game, but this past game I had to be stuck at work. Has anyone else noticed how poor of a job the camera work is for replays? I didn't get to see every other snap because of the replays that they play well into the next snap.

If anyone else has noticed this I think we should EMAIL them to get this corrected, it's frustrating seeing half the game...

Moto X

CaBisonFan
10-09-2013, 04:05 AM
Yeah...they replay pretty much everything, whether it's worth watching again or not.

BISONFAN4LIFE
10-09-2013, 04:09 AM
How long does channel 11 have the contract to broadcast games? It cannot end soon enough. After watching the Midco broadcast of the Jacks game I wonder how long before NDSU wises up and asks for better? Just my opinion but it could be much better.

b15on
10-09-2013, 04:14 AM
How long does channel 11 have the contract to broadcast games? It cannot end soon enough. After watching the Midco broadcast of the Jacks game I wonder how long before NDSU wises up and asks for better? Just my opinion but it could be much better.

The news from earlier this year talking about all of the Bison games being on tv and in HD said that there was a three-year extension with Hoak Media (http://gobison.com/news/2013/7/25/FB_0725133731.aspx)

NDSUstudent
10-09-2013, 04:22 AM

Wise up? NBC has been great for NDSU. Sure the quality at times hasn't been amazing but they put a lot of effort into covering NDSU sporting events. Probably way more effort than anyone else would put in. Plus they are providing great exposure for the school...they promote the games and are on a channel that everyone gets. It is much better than being with Midco.

Tatanka
10-09-2013, 07:58 AM
UN_ would give their left nut if they had one for statewide coverage on a free over the air channel. Can it improve? Most certainly but make no mistake the Bison are in great shape coverage wise.

SamsRams
10-09-2013, 08:16 AM
UN_ would give their left nut if they had one for statewide coverage on a free over the air channel. Can it improve? Most certainly but make no mistake the Bison are in great shape coverage wise.

seriously?? no one is talking about the coverage, the point of this thread is about the production value. I love the team of Kevin, Brian and Jamal but agree the rest of the production is not the best. It's a Fargo TV station (market #120 last I checked) you are paying no more than 12 dollars an hour to do that job as a camera op. I am a pretty picky TV critic and maybe the fact that I am able to watch the games, I am not so critical of the product. Can they get better, yes.....will they is the question

I can say I have been teased by some people at the LVH where I host watch parties. Their statement is always "when are you guys going to be on a real TV station"
They have a valid point for those outside of KVLY viewing area, but if they can get more on Gameplan it will be a big step. Every REAL sports bar has Gameplan!!

tjbison
10-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Midco sucks, it's a selective market.

every household gets NBC

well most do anyways

BisonTeacher
10-09-2013, 11:59 AM

And 2 on FSN this year! I remember when I was impressed just being able to hear the games on the radio in the twin cities. Things are moving in the right direction.

Hammerhead
10-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Fire TV director, save season. I have noticed they miss some snaps because they are still showing a replay or have the camera zoomed in one one player when the play starts.

I'm just happy they are in HD!

Bisonwinagn
10-09-2013, 12:52 PM
And 2 on FSN this year! I remember when I was impressed just being able to hear the games on the radio in the twin cities. Things are moving in the right direction.

It's never been on FSN. They've been on Fox sports (central, pacific) or FSN +. If I was NDSU I would pay $1M a year for FSN to broadcast the game to reach a significant larger audience than just ND.

Tatanka
10-09-2013, 12:54 PM
seriously?? no one is talking about the coverage, the point of this thread is about the production value. I love the team of Kevin, Brian and Jamal but agree the rest of the production is not the best. It's a Fargo TV station (market #120 last I checked) you are paying no more than 12 dollars an hour to do that job as a camera op. I am a pretty picky TV critic and maybe the fact that I am able to watch the games, I am not so critical of the product. Can they get better, yes.....will they is the question

I can say I have been teased by some people at the LVH where I host watch parties. Their statement is always "when are you guys going to be on a real TV station"

They have a valid point for those outside of KVLY viewing area, but if they can get more on Gameplan it will be a big step. Every REAL sports bar has Gameplan!!

seriously. I was responding to the assertion that midco would somehow be a more wise choice for ndsu. My bottom line is yes the production value is lacking but the coverage is a notch in the positive column over midco. Also I would think the hoak contract makes it somewhat more likely that the feed will get picked up on ESPN game plan or one of the fox sports channels because those offerings aren't in direct competition with midco.

I guess I should have been more clear.

BisonTeacher
10-09-2013, 01:12 PM
It's never been on FSN. They've been on Fox sports (central, pacific) or FSN +. If I was NDSU I would pay $1M a year for FSN to broadcast the game to reach a significant larger audience than just ND.

Yes you are correct. By FSN...I meant FSN +

But it is the alternate channel of FSN, not a separate channel like FCS is. YOu don't get FSN+ on its own...you only get it if you have fox sports North. Thats like saying a game on Big ten network alternate channel is not on Big ten network. derrrrrrr

EC8CH
10-09-2013, 01:16 PM
So is this thread brought to us by Peterson Farm Seed?

I get so lost unless I'm told by Brian which agricultural product is sponsoring each and every single event that occurs.

tcbison
10-09-2013, 01:59 PM
We have come a long ways. Back in 2005 the only game on tv was the Montana State game shown on WDAY.

BisonNation11
10-09-2013, 02:00 PM
So is this thread brought to us by Peterson Farm Seed?

I get so lost unless I'm told by Brian which agricultural product is sponsoring each and every single event that occurs.

Have to pay for HD upgrade somehow.

EC8CH
10-09-2013, 02:06 PM
I say have Kasey Beyers take over the production of the broadcasts:

http://www.ndsuspectrum.com/sports/making-something-out-of-nothing-1.3071659#.UlVgXFCR12M

The production of the his Youtube videos is outstanding and puts the gameday broadcasts on KLVY to shame. The sense of atmosphere captured in his videos is what is missing from the game broadcasts.

I'm not aware of another FCS football program that has such consistently well produced videos game after game. And this last UNI highlights video was up within hours of the game being over, that was crazy fast.

EC8CH
10-09-2013, 02:11 PM

Valid point, but last I checked there are plenty of commercials breaks. Cramming in product placement plugs during the game is a large part of what makes the broadcasts seem so "HOAKY"

IBleedYellow
10-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Sorry, my complaints were not about actually being on television, but the fact that the quality of the production currently leaves you wanting more. Much more.

Bison 4 Life
10-09-2013, 02:39 PM

Come on. I've alwasy wanted to know how much a cubic Zenner of soybeans weighs.

Mayville Bison
10-09-2013, 03:29 PM
So I know almost all of us go to the game, but this past game I had to be stuck at work. Has anyone else noticed how poor of a job the camera work is for replays? I didn't get to see every other snap because of the replays that they play well into the next snap.

If anyone else has noticed this I think we should EMAIL them to get this corrected, it's frustrating seeing half the game...

Moto X

Ya, this was frustrating. Especially when we don't snap the ball until there are 6 seconds left on the play clock. It seems they improve something each year and this year was HD. Hoping next year it can be the rest of the production.

THEsocalledfan
10-09-2013, 06:23 PM
I am a well known critic on these matters:

1. I am interested in the perspective of why some consider NBC statewide better than Midco from a market penetration perspective. It covers nearly all of ND except Fargo. Further, it puts you on in SD and MN in many communities. I am NOT saying Midco is better, but I am skeptical that it is worse. Please explain your rationale.
2. FSN and FSN+ should be and hopefully still are the target for broadcast. These are part of basic service for everyone in this region, and most importantly MSP. Statewide NBC plus FSN+ was friggin awesome thus the reason Jeremy J. got a shout out on the radio. No reason even to put them on FCS if on FSN or +.
3. The camera work is shoddy; they do need to step it up.

Overall, NDSU has made tremendous strides in media coverage. They have made a big critic like me into a supporter of their efforts. Let's just hope we see more games on FSN or FSN+ next year. In the olden days (like 2006), we had 2 games on FSN; I want to see us surpass that next year.*

*and looking forward to being ripped by others who think lack of progress is acceptable.

tcbison
10-09-2013, 07:10 PM

1. I am interested in the perspective of why some consider NBC statewide better than Midco from a market penetration perspective. It covers nearly all of ND except Fargo. Further, it puts you on in SD and MN in many communities. I am NOT saying Midco is better, but I am skeptical that it is worse. Please explain your rationale.
2. FSN and FSN+ should be and hopefully still are the target for broadcast. These are part of basic service for everyone in this region, and most importantly MSP. Statewide NBC plus FSN+ was friggin awesome thus the reason Jeremy J. got a shout out on the radio. No reason even to put them on FCS if on FSN or +.
3. The camera work is shoddy; they do need to step it up.

Overall, NDSU has made tremendous strides in media coverage. They have made a big critic like me into a supporter of their efforts. Let's just hope we see more games on FSN or FSN+ next year. In the olden days (like 2006), we had 2 games on FSN; I want to see us surpass that next year.*

*and looking forward to being ripped by others who think lack of progress is acceptable.

Just to be clear NDSU has never had 2 games in the same season on FSN. In 2006, it was the Gopher game, in 2007 it was the Stephen F. Austin game, in 2009 it was UNI and in 2010 is was SDSU.

THEsocalledfan
10-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Just to be clear NDSU has never had 2 games in the same season on FSN. In 2006, it was the Gopher game, in 2007 it was the Stephen F. Austin game, in 2009 it was UNI and in 2010 is was SDSU.

Hmmmm, good point. I was thinking of the Stephen F Austin game was in 2006 and the Gopher game. Point is still valid, however, of having two games on regional sports television. (BTN clearly better penetration than Midco and the 2007 game was on there.) You agree with this?

tcbison
10-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Hmmmm, good point. I was thinking of the Stephen F Austin game was in 2006 and the Gopher game. Point is still valid, however, of having two games on regional sports television. (BTN clearly better penetration than Midco and the 2007 game was on there.) You agree with this?

No doubt your point is valid just wanted to be clear on how many games have been on FSN. NDSU would have had the 2007 SDSU game on FSN if the people on SDSU would have allowed it. I think the more times NDSU can be on FSN the better. Midco does nothing for me living in the Twin Cities and if it is on Midco then I don't think the game can be shown on ESPN3. I happen to like ESPN3 even though others don't.

THEsocalledfan
10-09-2013, 08:09 PM
No doubt your point is valid just wanted to be clear on how many games have been on FSN. NDSU would have had the 2007 SDSU game on FSN if the people on SDSU would have allowed it. I think the more times NDSU can be on FSN the better. Midco does nothing for me living in the Twin Cities and if it is on Midco then I don't think the game can be shown on ESPN3. I happen to like ESPN3 even though others don't.

I did not know this Midco ESPN3 angle. I wonder why that is? ESPN3 also works well for me.

tcbison
10-09-2013, 08:36 PM
I did not know this Midco ESPN3 angle. I wonder why that is? ESPN3 also works well for me.

I don't know if there is anything blocking ESPN3 from broadcasting the game. However, when NDSU played USD last year and when NDSU played SDSU this year neither game was on ESPN3.

Tatanka
10-09-2013, 08:48 PM

Competing products?

runtheoption
10-09-2013, 08:52 PM
I don't know if there is anything blocking ESPN3 from broadcasting the game. However, when NDSU played USD last year and when NDSU played SDSU this year neither game was on ESPN3. There is a work-around for that.

Tatanka
10-09-2013, 09:11 PM
There is a work-around for that.

Can I get that in Fargo or do I have to go to West Fargo?

THEsocalledfan
10-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Competing products?

Yet Midco actively carries ESPN3......kind of a weird deal. ESPN3 would allow a broadcast they do to be seen more widely, but possible they are afraid they lose their own customers to ESPN3? Just trying to wrap my mind around it and not working very well.

Tony Almeida
10-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Yet Midco actively carries ESPN3......kind of a weird deal. ESPN3 would allow a broadcast they do to be seen more widely, but possible they are afraid they lose their own customers to ESPN3? Just trying to wrap my mind around it and not working very well.

We need more cameras = more angles

We need people with more than 3 brain cells running the cameras = better angles

We need one of those cameras running on wires above the field = make production feel big time and better angles

tjbison
10-09-2013, 10:03 PM
We need more cameras = more angles = $$$

We need people with more than 3 brain cells running the cameras = better angles = $

We need one of those cameras running on wires above the field = make production feel big time and better angles = $$$$$

see additions above

NDSUstudent
10-09-2013, 10:09 PM

What I like is that NBC ND is pretty lenient on allowing the games to be televised on a variety of other networks(FCS, ESPN3, FSN, etc) while I know Midco isn't so flexible. Just look at UND, in the past all of their hockey games were on FCS(thus available to alumni/fans across the country) but now with their Midco deal those FCS games went away completely.

Plus with NBC ND we are the big fish in their pond..we aren't sharing it with SD schools and UND like we would be with Midco. Plus NBC ND covers basically everyone with a TV in ND and northwest MN.

My biggest gripe will always be with the MVFC and its TV deal. The CAA(NBC Sports Network), Big Sky(Root Sports), Patriot League(CBS Sports), Ivy League(NBC Sports), MEAC(ESPN) and SWAC(ESPN) all have better TV deals than we have. I'm not even sure you can call what we have as being a TV deal since it is limited to ESPN3.

SamsRams
10-09-2013, 10:20 PM
We need one of those cameras running on wires above the field = make production feel big time and better angles

LOL not gonna happen, but yes it would be awesome!!

Tatanka
10-09-2013, 10:31 PM
What I like is that NBC ND is pretty lenient on allowing the games to be televised on a variety of other networks(FCS, ESPN3, FSN, etc) while I know Midco isn't so flexible. Just look at UND, in the past all of their hockey games were on FCS(thus available to alumni/fans across the country) but now with their Midco deal those FCS games went away completely.

Plus with NBC ND we are the big fish in their pond..we aren't sharing it with SD schools and UND like we would be with Midco. Plus NBC ND covers basically everyone with a TV in ND and northwest MN.

My biggest gripe will always be with the MVFC and its TV deal. The CAA(NBC Sports Network), Big Sky(Root Sports), Patriot League(CBS Sports), Ivy League(NBC Sports), MEAC(ESPN) and SWAC(ESPN) all have better TV deals than we have. I'm not even sure you can call what we have as being a TV deal since it is limited to ESPN3.

We have a winner!

CAS4127
10-09-2013, 10:47 PM

If I were a UN_ fan/admin I would not want any games on TV right now. Jussayin'!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

EC8CH
10-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Whoever does the broadcast... just stop with the advertising during the commentary. Listening to the play-by-play guy squeeze in ads is what I find most annoying.

Talk about football during the game and save the Ag talk for the commercial breaks.

THEsocalledfan
10-09-2013, 11:02 PM

If this is all true, and I have no reason to believe it is not, you have firmly convinced me statewide NBC is better than Midco. Thank you. I would also think, if your point is true, not as flexible to get on FSN and + either. If this is the way Midco is, I'd be sending them packing even before they speak.

THEsocalledfan
10-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Whoever does the broadcast... just stop with the advertising during the commentary. Listening to the play-by-play guy squeeze in ads is what I find most annoying.

Talk about football during the game and save the Ag talk for the commercial breaks.

Did you know that soybeans are the second most abundant crop in ND?

tjbison
10-09-2013, 11:05 PM
If this is all true, and I have no reason to believe it is not, you have firmly convinced me statewide NBC is better than Midco. Thank you. I would also think, if your point is true, not as flexible to get on FSN and + either. If this is the way Midco is, I'd be sending them packing even before they speak.

well I think we have had 1 game on FCS, 1 game on FSN, 1 game on ESPN 3

and this weeks game will be on ESPN3 and ESPN Gameplan

I would say NBC has been pretty good to release it, with the KSU game on FS1 that's pretty damn good exposure

THEsocalledfan
10-09-2013, 11:08 PM
well I think we have had 1 game on FCS, 1 game on FSN, 1 game on ESPN 3

and this weeks game will be on ESPN3 and ESPN Gameplan

I would say NBC has been pretty good to release it, with the KSU game on FS1 that's pretty damn good exposure

ESPN3 on Xbox, which I learned about from Bisonville, has to be one of the best things I ever picked up on this time waster!

marenlee
10-09-2013, 11:17 PM
ESPN3 on Xbox, which I learned about from Bisonville, has to be one of the best things I ever picked up on this time waster!

I have an Xbox............ but wait....... my provider does not offer espn3!!! Screw all y'all! I'm stuck paying 120 for a crappy gameplan package in SD. But with the NBC deal I have been able to catch all the games except Ferris on directv.

Tatanka
10-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Did you know that soybeans are the second most abundant crop in ND?

Behind pubic lice in Grand Forks?

HerdBot
10-10-2013, 02:11 AM
Seriously our TV situation is very good this year. Instead of bitching why not give props. He are in HD, Statewide, and simulcast on either FSN North Plus, ESPN3, or Fox College Sports. Weve been on Game plan at least twice and Fox Sports One.

Gene Taylor and Jeremy Jorgenson have done a great job

perthbison
10-10-2013, 02:33 AM
UN_ would give their left nut if they had one for statewide coverage on a free over the air channel. Can it improve? Most certainly but make no mistake the Bison are in great shape coverage wise.This is where I stand. The replays and such are a work in progress, but I live in a rural area of ND with a lot of un- hocky nuts and I cannot overstate the value of weekly statewide broadcasts of all Bison games. Thousands of people who were uninterested 5 or so years ago have taken notice and have ND pride in the last 2 championships and though they don't go to Fargo for the games, they watch the game every Saturday. I'm seeing many of these sorts wearing Bison shirts and caps and talking about the game during the week. To continue building statewide interest in Bison football there probably isn't much that's more effective than being able to watch every game in your livingroom. There's still a lot of people that won't bother to webstream until we get them addicted.

DIBISON
10-10-2013, 02:37 AM
Seriously our TV situation is very good this year. Instead of bitching why not give props. He are in HD, Statewide, and simulcast on either FSN North Plus, ESPN3, or Fox College Sports. Weve been on Game plan at least twice and Fox Sports One.

Gene Taylor and Jeremy Jorgenson have done a great job
Agree with everything said, and don't forget we also get all of the games in western Minnesota too.

tcbison
10-10-2013, 01:42 PM

Same here. I wouldn't own an Xbox if it wasn't for hearing it on Bisonville. The ESPN app is pretty sweet.

Hammersmith
10-10-2013, 03:23 PM

To be fair, it wasn't the deal with Midco that took away hockey games from FCS. The contract that their new hockey conference signed with CBS is the culprit. That being said, I agree with the argument that Midco is stretched too thin to give NDSU a quality season. Midco already is doing games for UND, SDSU & USD. I also think they're doing some games for Augie or USF. Not to mention HS games. How many broadcast teams do they have? I don't mean the on-air talent, I mean camera crews, production trucks and the like. What if they don't have enough crews to go around some Saturday? Who gets screwed? And what will the quality gap be between their best crew and their worst? I've seen some good broadcasts from Midco this season and some laughable ones. What makes us think we'd always get the first stringers?

The flip side is that the local Hoak crews don't get enough practice to get good at their jobs. And the wages are probably bad enough that this is a first or second job for most of them. Hoak isn't exactly known for shelling out big bucks to bring in experienced people. Short of starting up a top-notch sports media program at NDSU($$$$$), I don't see a solution. Here's hoping ESPN truly was auditioning us a couple weeks ago and that we passed the audition.

aces1180
10-10-2013, 03:26 PM
To be fair, it wasn't the deal with Midco that took away hockey games from FCS. The contract that their new hockey conference signed with CBS is the culprit. That being said, I agree with the argument that Midco is stretched too thin to give NDSU a quality season. Midco already is doing games for UND, SDSU & USD. I also think they're doing some games for Augie or USF. Not to mention HS games. How many broadcast teams do they have? I don't mean the on-air talent, I mean camera crews, production trucks and the like. What if they don't have enough crews to go around some Saturday? Who gets screwed? And what will the quality gap be between their best crew and their worst? I've seen some good broadcasts from Midco this season and some laughable ones. What makes us think we'd always get the first stringers?

The flip side is that the local Hoak crews don't get enough practice to get good at their jobs. And the wages are probably bad enough that this is a first or second job for most of them. Hoak isn't exactly known for shelling out big bucks to bring in experienced people. Short of starting up a top-notch sports media program at NDSU($$$$$), I don't see a solution. Here's hoping ESPN truly was auditioning us a couple weeks ago and that we passed the audition.

With Forum Comm getting the NDHSAA contract and now doing Friday night games on their alternate channel, I wouldn't be surprised if they are in the running when the Hoak contract runs out in a few years (even though it was just extended). From what I have heard, their production is pretty good...We'll see how that translate to the statewide coverage that will be debuting this fall with the ND HS football championships.

Hammerhead
10-10-2013, 04:25 PM
I just noticed the Missouri State game will be on ESPN Gameplan. Is this something new? I seem to remember that the Delaware State game was the only one to be on Gameplan. The DirecTV guide only shows in in SD so I'll probably watch it on espn3.com anyway.

Tatanka
10-10-2013, 06:03 PM
I just noticed the Missouri State game will be on ESPN Gameplan. Is this something new? I seem to remember that the Delaware State game was the only one to be on Gameplan. The DirecTV guide only shows in in SD so I'll probably watch it on espn3.com anyway.

Yes, this was announced just in the last few days that Gameplan and ESPN3 picked up the NBC ND feed for Saturday's game.

EndZoneQB
10-10-2013, 06:14 PM
With Forum Comm getting the NDHSAA contract and now doing Friday night games on their alternate channel, I wouldn't be surprised if they are in the running when the Hoak contract runs out in a few years (even though it was just extended). From what I have heard, their production is pretty good...We'll see how that translate to the statewide coverage that will be debuting this fall with the ND HS football championships.

I can all but say it's certain that FC was/is gearing up for the NDSU contract. They have all the equipment and that was their goal. Get everything else important...then get NDSU. I love their games of the week and what not, it's a really high quality production IMO.

Yes, this was announced just in the last few days that Gameplan and ESPN3 picked up the NBC ND feed for Saturday's game.

I think it's safe to say we are definitely on SOMEONE'S radar.

Mayville Bison
10-10-2013, 06:17 PM
I think it's safe to say we are definitely on SOMEONE'S radar.

Ya, no doubt. Why else would the pick up a game against a 1-5 team?

marenlee
10-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Gameplan is only SD. I did my research before buying it and everyone said it was SD. I asked Directv if gameplan was available in HD, they said "Yes, if the game is broadcast in HD, it will be" Lying bastards! But I still paid the $120 for a chance to see as many Bison games during the regular season and all the playoffs games so it was worth it (normally $25/weekend access, which I paid during the playoffs last year) I don't see it ever changing either with the advent of ESPN3.

oldmantutters
10-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Gameplan is only SD. I did my research before buying it and everyone said it was SD. I asked Directv if gameplan was available in HD, they said "Yes, if the game is broadcast in HD, it will be" Lying bastards! But I still paid the $120 for a chance to see as many Bison games during the regular season and all the playoffs games so it was worth it (normally $25/weekend access, which I paid during the playoffs last year) I don't see it ever changing either with the advent of ESPN3.

If you have an ISP that is supported by ESPN3 I recommend buying an xbox360 and watching through there. I have been very impressed when forced to watch that way.

aces1180
10-11-2013, 04:37 PM
AppleTV now has the WatchESPN app, which is awesome.

THEsocalledfan
10-11-2013, 05:58 PM
If you have an ISP that is supported by ESPN3 I recommend buying an xbox360 and watching through there. I have been very impressed when forced to watch that way.

I recommend looking at Ebay for refurbished 4Gig Xbox's. You can pick them up much cheaper that way, and if you aren't a serious gamer, you will be fine with 4 gig.

bisonmike2
10-11-2013, 06:04 PM
I recommend looking at Ebay for refurbished 4Gig Xbox's. You can pick them up much cheaper that way, and if you aren't a serious gamer, you will be fine with 4 gig.

Do you have to pay for the xbox live service to have access to ESPN3? If you do I would get the chromecast for $35.

THEsocalledfan
10-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Do you have to pay for the xbox live service to have access to ESPN3? If you do I would get the chromecast for $35.

Yes, you do need xbox live service. What is chromecast, my friend? (I use my xbox for numerous other things, like as my DVR/HD receiver for TV, so still the right choice for me, but have me curious....)

bisonmike2
10-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Yes, you do need xbox live service. What is chromecast, my friend? (I use my xbox for numerous other things, like as my DVR/HD receiver for TV, so still the right choice for me, but have me curious....)

It is this magical device and it works great with ESPN3 from my PC to my TV via HDMI.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#netflix

CaBisonFan
10-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Was asked by a Missouri State fan...

...what's a couple of good restaurants in Fargo?

bisonmike2
10-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Was asked by a Missouri State fan...

...what's a couple of good restaurants in Fargo?

Applebees.

THEsocalledfan
10-11-2013, 07:11 PM
It is this magical device and it works great with ESPN3 from my PC to my TV via HDMI.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#netflix

Interesting, but looks like you'd need to have to control the broadcast from your computer/phone, then? Xbox basically works like any other cable receiver, so a little easier to use, particularly if you have an Xbox remote. That xbox live thing sucks.....but oh well....

bisonmike2
10-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Interesting, but looks like you'd need to have to control the broadcast from your computer/phone, then? Xbox basically works like any other cable receiver, so a little easier to use, particularly if you have an Xbox remote. That xbox live thing sucks.....but oh well....

Yes you do need a computer or tablet but it runs off your home network so even if you have a computer downstairs in a basement you can have it broadcast to your chromecast upstairs. I haven't tried it off my phone yet but I do have the app for it.

gotts
10-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Yes you do need a computer or tablet but it runs off your home network so even if you have a computer downstairs in a basement you can have it broadcast to your chromecast upstairs. I haven't tried it off my phone yet but I do have the app for it.

In all formats I've used, it's pretty awesome. Can control youtube/netflix from your phone.

I put the add in for Chrome on my PC so I can stream from PC to the TV and it works well.

marenlee
10-12-2013, 03:48 AM

That's the problem. There is no ISP in my town that supports ESPN3. The neighboring/connected town does. And I have a 360 with Xbox live. What a waste.

tjamz
10-12-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't have a paid subscription to Xbox live and I can still use espn 3 on my Xbox 360

THEsocalledfan
10-13-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't have a paid subscription to Xbox live and I can still use espn 3 on my Xbox 360

Which app were you using to do that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tjamz
10-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Which app were you using to do that?

The espn 3 app (whatever it is officially called). As far as I know you can have an Xbox live account without having a paid subscription (obviously you need a paid subscription for additional premium content). I do know that I've never ever had a paid subscription to Xbox live.

THEsocalledfan
10-13-2013, 05:31 PM
The espn 3 app (whatever it is officially called). As far as I know you can have an Xbox live account without having a paid subscription (obviously you need a paid subscription for additional premium content). I do know that I've never ever had a paid subscription to Xbox live.

Hmmmm...... I have a free account like that... have to try it......

bisoningrandforks
10-13-2013, 06:04 PM
thank goodness for HDMI....to the big screen....anyway...Im sure this has always been the case but noticed the home games, the camera looks so dam far away from the action compared to away games...... its it a press box distance issue/camera lens....they zoom in, too late play started, zoom back out, miss half the action!...geez!....can this be resolved?