PDA

View Full Version : Good D in the Great West

Scooter
10-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Over the last two plus years that the Great West has been around Cal poly, UC Davis and NDSU have fielded some good defenses. How do they compare statistically?

Cal Poly * Games 31
* * * * * * * Rush yards 3068 for 99 ypg
* * * * * * * pass yards *6238 for 201 ypg
* * * * * * * Total * * * * *9306 for 300 ypg
* * * * * * * Scoring * * * 19.4 ppg allowed

UC Davis *Games 28
* * * * * * * Rush Yards 2755 for 98.4 ypg
* * * * * * * Pass Yards *5681 for 202 *ypg
* * * * * * * Total * * * * * 8436 for 301 ypg
* * * * * * * Scoring * * * *18.9 ppg allowed

NDSU * * * Games 29
* * * * * * * Rush Yards 3080 for 106 ypg
* * * * * * * Pass Yards *4655 for 160.5 ypg
* * * * * * * Total * * * * * 7735 for 267 ypg
* * * * * * * Scoring * * * 12.9 ppg

Now, for what REALLY PISSES me off.....

First Team All Conference Defensive selections for 04 and 05....

Cal Poly....10

U C Davis....7

NDSU....2

That's right, a whopping 2

BisonSig
10-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Nice chart, I am pretty sure all conference voting is based off of conference play not the whole schedule. It would be better to look at the offensive/defensive numbers for just the conference games. That may give us a better picture as to why the all conference selections are skewed.

Scooter
10-26-2006, 08:20 PM
so, here are the comparisons for the last two years. *Since we have not played a conference game, this years totals can't be counted.

Cal Poly * * 912 rush * *2217 pass * * 3129 total yards * 313 YPG * 14 PPG
NDSU * 918 rush * *1796 pass * *2714 total yards * *271 YPG * 16 *ppg
UC Davis * *970 rush * *2253 pass * *3223 total yards * *322 YPG * 17.5 ppg

So, Statistically, Cal poly and NDSU are at a dead heat Vs the run But NDSU is better Vs the pass. *Cal Poly wins the PPG

Cal Poly 10 1st teamers, *NDSU 2, *UC Davis 7

If nothing else, we get a better bang for the buck. * *

Mr._Bill
10-26-2006, 11:38 PM
In this case statistics do not tell the story. Have to look at head to head where we have been on the short end of the stick most of the time vs. these 2 schools. You also have to consider some of the cupcakes consumed by NDSU in 2004 & 2005, earlier in the transition. Yes we were 8-3, but our schedule is nothing like it is today.

We will earn it in 2006.

Gamehunter
10-27-2006, 02:38 AM
NDSU's schedules have not been any weaker than Cal Poly or UC Davis the last two years and certainly not this year either.

Last fall Jeff Kolpack hit the nail on the head with "GWFC All-Overlooked Team".

WTF.... no Justin Frick? Joe Mays? Craig Dahl?

I have a feeling this year things are going to change.

Scooter
10-27-2006, 03:21 PM
NDSU's schedules have not been any weaker than Cal Poly or UC Davis the last two years and certainly not this year either.

Last fall Jeff Kolpack hit the nail on the head with
"GWFC All-Overlooked Team".

WTF.... no Justin Frick? *Joe Mays? *Craig Dahl?

THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT!!!

imabison
10-27-2006, 06:03 PM
[quote author=Scooter link=1161885079/0#5 date=1161962494][quote author=X-Factor link=1161885079/0#4 date=1161916686]NDSU's schedules have not been any weaker than Cal Poly or UC Davis the last two years and certainly not this year either.

Last fall Jeff Kolpack hit the nail on the head with
"GWFC All-Overlooked Team".

WTF.... no Justin Frick? *Joe Mays? *Craig Dahl?

You both make good points, and it can be upsetting, however if you look at the history. *Even go back to NCC days. *NDSU may have a few individual get awarded, and many do go overlooked, but it is the TEAM that has been, and will continue to be successful. *How did Dr Spock put it, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.

NDSU players and coaches will continue to work as a tem and be successful. *GO BISON

NDSUstudent
10-27-2006, 06:22 PM
These awards are all stats driven and since NDSU's defense is so strong(no real weak link) it's tough for an individual player to rack up impressive stats. I guess it's also tough to rack up stats when the opposing offense is continually going 3 and out as well. * :o

SloStang
10-27-2006, 10:39 PM
I think that we are comparing a Mercedes, a BMW and a Porche. All three are fine cars and everyone has their favorite. All three defenses are outstanding and all go about it a little differently. I agree that NDSU was under representative last year, but I think that the fact that the Bison lost to both Cal Poly and UC Davis might of had an effect on the final count. I do not see that happening this year. NDSU is the highest ranked of the three ranked teams and that will show on the all conference selections.

Mr._Bill
10-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Its simple, the winner of the GWFC will get the spoils. That has not been NDSU in the past. Winning will trump stats every time when the conference recognizes its best.

Gamehunter
10-27-2006, 11:30 PM
These awards are all stats driven and since NDSU's defense is so strong(no real weak link) it's tough for an individual player to rack up impressive stats. I guess it's also tough to rack up stats when the opposing offense is continually going 3 and out as well. :o

this is very true, and what Slostang said about the Bison losing to both CP and UCD having an effect on the all great west teams is also very correct. That 6-37 was a gut check for sure and definatly the biggest loss I have ever been around for.

Scooter
10-28-2006, 12:09 AM
I think that we are comparing a Mercedes, a BMW and a Porche. *All three are fine cars and everyone has their favorite. *All three defenses are outstanding and all go about it a little differently. *I agree that NDSU was under representative last year, but I think that the fact that the Bison lost to both Cal Poly and UC Davis might of had an effect on the final count. *I do not see that happening this year. *NDSU is the highest ranked of the three ranked teams and that will show on the all conference selections.

<------------- the gopher, personal text and signature line are for you, Tim. *
They will change when I get my $20 *:D

That is a great analogy, SloStang. *I agree with you about these three defenses. *The problem with it is that it appears that the powers that be only prefer the Porche and BMW.

semobison
10-28-2006, 01:43 AM
Until we beat Poly and UCD they will be more represented in the all conference awards! Until then I dont feel we are being overlooked!!

SloStang
10-28-2006, 02:21 AM
Until we beat Poly and UCD they will be more represented in the all conference awards! *Until then I dont feel we are being overlooked!!
I think that the Bison ware definately overlooked on defense last year, but the position I think that the Bison got screwed the most was at punter. I think Tim Chicoine for Cal Poly had a fine season and one worthy of All-Conference consideration, but NDSU punter Mike Dragosavich was a I-AA All-American and only second team All-GWFC (coaches poll). The media at least go it right.