PDA

View Full Version : Why did students leave?

THEsocalledfan
10-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Rip away. Sounds like they earned it. On bison rewind.

DjKyRo
10-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Seemed like a lot of students were there until the end from where I was (in the student section). I didn't see any exodus.

ZHerd
10-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Good question...bunch of sissy crybabies evacuate when their team needs them most. If the students want to be fair weather I (an many people I know) would happily take their tickets from now on.

ZHerd
10-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Seemed like a lot of students were there until the end from where I was (in the student section). I didn't see any exodus.

I wouldn't call it mass exodus but their were plenty...sad

DjKyRo
10-06-2013, 12:06 AM

Weird. I was up in the nosebleeds and didn't see a soul leave. Sure sounded plenty loud.

tjamz
10-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Students never even filled their end zone section.

AjaxTheMighty
10-06-2013, 12:19 AM

Fire students save season!

PattyBison
10-06-2013, 12:28 AM

I concur. There was no exodus IMO. I was pleasantly surprised they didn't leave at halftime.

natstar1
10-06-2013, 12:33 AM
lol...but there are a couple thousand more students that would help fill a new stadium

HerdBot
10-06-2013, 12:34 AM
They were sold out. They were loud. Obviously a few no shows but don't single out students. The reserved tailgating was empty

BisonTeacher
10-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Whyd they leave? TAB farted. End of story.

A1pigskin
10-06-2013, 12:36 AM
I was surprised how many students had left. There were still a lot there......

HerdBot
10-06-2013, 12:39 AM
I was surprised how many students had left. There were still a lot there......

Your never going to have 100% stay. It was pretty full and loud.

tjamz
10-06-2013, 12:53 AM
They were sold out. They were loud. Obviously a few no shows but don't single out students. The reserved tailgating was empty

I agree that reserved tailgate was a weak showing.... but that student section had easily 100 open seats ALL GAME above the band in the end zone.

Hammersmith
10-06-2013, 01:27 AM
I agree that reserved tailgate was a weak showing.... but that student section had easily 100 open seats ALL GAME above the band in the end zone.

Nothing odd about that. The dome lets in as many students as there are seats. But nothing requires the students to sit in those seats. Many of the lower rows have more students in them than seats. That means the uppermost rows are unfilled. Nothing to worry about.

Attendance was 18,800+. That's within about 150 of the max of a televised game.

BisonFan02
10-06-2013, 01:31 AM
We sit across from the student section, and there were some that left...not a mass exodus by any means though. Crowd was plenty loud in the 4th qtr.

1998braves64
10-06-2013, 02:19 AM
That's because students stand 20+ a row and not the 18 that rest of stadium does. So there will be empties at the top. They said in rewind that it got emptier in 3rd quarter, but really was case for whole dome in my opinion... Several around us left their seats.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

stevdock
10-06-2013, 02:42 AM
That's because students stand 20+ a row and not the 18 that rest of stadium does. So there will be empties at the top. They said in rewind that it got emptier in 3rd quarter, but really was case for whole dome in my opinion... Several around us left their seats.

This personally drives me nuts as I would love to buy at least 4 season tickets and they would be full for every single game until the game is over. But there are no season tickets to be had so I have to scramble game after game to get those 4 tickets.

Tony Almeida
10-06-2013, 08:06 AM
This personally drives me nuts as I would love to buy at least 4 season tickets and they would be full for every single game until the game is over. But there are no season tickets to be had so I have to scramble game after game to get those 4 tickets.

This^^^

We sat directly across from the student section. It definitely thinned out after halftime and got worse in the 4th qtr.
Anyone saying otherwise needs to trim their eyebrows.

344Johnson
10-06-2013, 08:51 AM
This^^^

We sat directly across from the student section. It definitely thinned out after halftime and got worse in the 4th qtr.
Anyone saying otherwise needs to trim their eyebrows.

A.) Gene is getting emails from some students regarding the conduct of some of the redshirt freshmen. (saving too many seats and unfortunately, they don't respect Bison football enough yet..they sit, and are quiet(Ming and others can probably vouch.

B.) Students have left early, or in todays case, not shown up. NO reason to play UNI and not have the student section full. If we won't fill it...(my idea is giving the first 3800 students seats and the rest can go screw themselves...) give them to people who will pay money for those tickets..

C.) Student section may have been loud today(tough to tell when you are in it), but its embarassing that we dont have every seat full for a game like today....part of being spoiled with having a great team I guess.

Ndsu84
10-06-2013, 11:44 AM
we have a lot of fans who aren't real die hards. They should have to pass a test on how fanatical they are going to be before they can have a ticket!!

Our section used to be real quiet and you'd get your ass chewed if you stood much. After Coach or Taylor said be loud, it's gotten much better. This is football! If you're not excited enough to stand at least some.....maybe we need a geriatric section.

BisonTitan
10-06-2013, 01:34 PM

I don't buy this one. If this were the case, it would look like this every game. For the first game of the season, there were no empties top to bottom.

BisonTeacher
10-06-2013, 01:38 PM
we have a lot of fans who aren't real die hards. They should have to pass a test on how fanatical they are going to be before they can have a ticket!!

Gabe, you dont have to get multiple user names to get your point across. :)

MNLonghorn10
10-06-2013, 01:43 PM
if im a standing room onlyer, Id go sit in the student section end zone...theres always seats there, no matter the opponent.

TateMosersneighbor
10-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Why did anyone leave that game is the real question. I think the folks that stayed did a wonderful job of impacting the game and that's all we can ask for. Who gives a shit if a hundred stundents leave...we have one of the best student sections in FCS.

I would like them to coordinate more cheers like when we used to walk uphill both ways to class. When the crowd is just a little bit silent...take that dome over with a cheer that might get folks laughing a bit.

tjbison
10-06-2013, 02:25 PM
hell there were open spots all over the dome, tailgating was weak, and so was the crowd

I admit they got fired up in the 4th

those that stayed anyway

Tatanka
10-06-2013, 02:54 PM
hell there were open spots all over the dome, tailgating was weak, and so was the crowd

I admit they got fired up in the 4th

those that stayed anyway

100% of the rest of the FCS and a good chunk of the FBS would sell their souls for our weak taigate and lame crowd. Good grief.

BisonNeil
10-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Some left, yes. But what really pisses me off is that the upper SW corner was empty. If the students can't fill their section with a game like this I say cut their allotment to 3000 seats. Screw 'em.

tjbison
10-06-2013, 03:00 PM
100% of the rest of the FCS and a good chunk of the FBS would sell their souls for our weak taigate and lame crowd. Good grief.

I agree

I just can't believe how this games wasn't packed, I was shocked when it didn't fill up like I thought

NDSU92
10-06-2013, 03:12 PM
I agree with KyRo, our group stood near the top at about the thirty yard line and it was completely full for the entire game. Guess I can't talk about how the endzone looked but from what I've seen for the past two years as a student is that the bottom five rows are usually at double capacity for the two sections closest to midfield, so it would make sense that the top ten or so rows would be empty in an endzone section. The reserved seating had quite a few empty blues this game as well and was noticed by myself and two others during the course of the game. But if you want to take away 1/4 of the seats from THE REASON THAT WE HAVE A FOOTBALL TEAM and also the biggest donor to the athletic program and give it to the people who also have a chance of not going (see the reserved tailgate lot) be my guest.

MHDBisonfan
10-06-2013, 03:23 PM
A discussion we had at our tailgating was what would bring out more tailgaters/fans - nice weather or a big game. I think the answer to that was painfully obvious. A significant part of our fan base are now fans because it is currently the "in" thing to say you're a Bison fan. I guess that's fine, as long as they don't jump right off the bandwagon if we go through a few 3-8 years again. I thought the same thing in 1988 when all of a sudden everyone was a Twins fan following the previous years' championship. Pick your team(s) and support them, good or bad seasons. Many do, some don't.

MNLonghorn10
10-06-2013, 03:57 PM
A discussion we had at our tailgating was what would bring out more tailgaters/fans - nice weather or a big game. I think the answer to that was painfully obvious. A significant part of our fan base are now fans because it is currently the "in" thing to say you're a Bison fan. I guess that's fine, as long as they don't jump right off the bandwagon if we go through a few 3-8 years again. I thought the same thing in 1988 when all of a sudden everyone was a Twins fan following the previous years' championship. Pick your team(s) and support them, good or bad seasons. Many do, some don't.
it's going to happen. and for selfish reasons alone, i'd like to move down from row T :biggrin:

Go_Herd
10-06-2013, 04:00 PM
i'd like to move down from row T :biggrin:

I'd like to move down from JJ :)

MankatoBison
10-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Yeah I was in the sideline student section, and I didnt see anyone leave in our sections.. but the endzone students...... Just bad all around. Never filled- SOMEHOW?? and then a handful left at halftime... what a disgrace.
Also there was pleeeeeeenty of students yelling "Sioux suck Sh**!! SO MUCH SH**!" after our first downs. Its laughable to think that most B'Villers think we students don't care, or want to play UND.. Open your eyes and ears gentlemen.
What an incredible game that was. In every possible way.

80ALUM
10-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I don't think we should compare the tailgating to the first couple of sunny tailgating days. Lots of people at those are not going to the game. They treat it like it's the street fair.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
10-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Rip away. Sounds like they earned it. On bison rewind.

I stayed, knew we were a 4th quarter team

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
10-06-2013, 04:29 PM
This was stated earlier.
1. In the front section, there are 20+ people in each row the WHOLE game.
2. That would mean some seats up on top would be empty, which is why there were less.
3. Students deserve their right to a seat each and every home game, do not rip on them. $15,000 a semester should give you the right to get a student ticket. It's their ticket; let them do what they want with it.

tjamz
10-06-2013, 05:11 PM
This was stated earlier.
2. That would mean some seats up on top would be empty, which is why there were less.
3. Students deserve their right to a seat each and every home game, do not rip on them. $15,000 a semester should give you the right to get a student ticket. It's their ticket; let them do what they want with it.

1. I don't disagree
2. To some extent I agree.... but from my vantage point this game (opposite side of the field in the endzone) there were more empty seats than "packed" seats from point #1
3. I agree as well. Does anyone know if their allotment was filled this week? If not, I'd love to give the student section until 1 hour before the game to claim their seats and after that they become available first come first serve. If you come with a student ID you get those seats for free, if you come as a non-student you pay what you would as a GA ticket holder.

roadwarrior
10-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Maybe NDSU should follow the lead of the airlines.....over sell the student allotment by 200 or so. Even if they all show up, they will be resourceful enough to find a place to stand.

NDSU92
10-06-2013, 05:31 PM
1. I don't disagree
2. To some extent I agree.... but from my vantage point this game (opposite side of the field in the endzone) there were more empty seats than "packed" seats from point #1
3. I agree as well. Does anyone know if their allotment was filled this week? If not, I'd love to give the student section until 1 hour before the game to claim their seats and after that they become available first come first serve. If you come with a student ID you get those seats for free, if you come as a non-student you pay what you would as a GA ticket holder.

The students sold out their allotment just after noon on Monday. I believe they already do sell unused student tickets, at least for playoff games for sure.

NDSU92
10-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Maybe NDSU should follow the lead of the airlines.....over sell the student allotment by 200 or so. Even if they all show up, they will be resourceful enough to find a place to stand.

That would probably be a good idea as there are bound to be some students who end up not being able to go and are too lazy or don't care to cancel their ticket order so someone on the waitlist can go in their stead. Only problem is the whole fire marshal/building capacity deal.

MAKBison
10-06-2013, 06:55 PM
You would think the education would be the big selling point for that $15K, NOT a guaranteed FB ticket to a game many of you don't show up for and or stay at.

FYI---- all of the TM who sit around me noticed and commented (negatively) about the student section (both sides) not filling up and the empty seats after the first half (both sides). You need to Buck up students or there will be a push for donating Alums to have those seats!

(Alum---someone who payed Several Years of tuition...A donating Alum----Someone Still writing a check to NDSU). Not trying to be dick students, just telling you how it is! Get your asses to the game and keep your asses there until the game is over.

This was stated earlier.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2013, 06:57 PM
It's getting boring to watch these come-from-behind drives.

56BISON73
10-06-2013, 06:58 PM

I saw that as well?????

Bison 4 Life
10-06-2013, 06:59 PM
You would think the education would be the big selling point for that $15K, NOT a guaranteed FB ticket to a game many of you don't show up for and or stay at.

FYI---- all of the TM who sit around me noticed and commented (negatively) about the student section (both sides) not filling up and the empty seats after the first half (both sides). You need to Buck up students or there will be a push for donating Alums to have those seats!

(Alum---someone who payed several Years of tuition...A donating Alum----Someone still writing a check to NDSU). Not trying to be dick students, just telling you how it is! Get your asses to the game and keep your asses their until the games over.

Who's paying 15k anyway? I never paid 15k a semester. That's 30k a year.

344Johnson
10-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Yeah I was in the sideline student section, and I didnt see anyone leave in our sections.. but the endzone students...... Just bad all around. Never filled- SOMEHOW?? and then a handful left at halftime... what a disgrace.
Also there was pleeeeeeenty of students yelling "Sioux suck Sh**!! SO MUCH SH**!" after our first downs. Its laughable to think that most B'Villers think we students don't care, or want to play UND.. Open your eyes and ears gentlemen.
What an incredible game that was. In every possible way.

Shut up. Like 10 kids do it at every game. Enough with your "LETS PLAY UND CAUSE STUDENTS WANT TO" agenda.

This was stated earlier.

lolwut? Tuition is like 8 G's.

Hammersmith
10-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Again, 18,840. There couldn't have been many student no-shows. Maybe a hundred or less. I don't think anyone has the right to call out the students for only filling around 98% to 99% of their section.

*This of course assumes that announced attendance only includes students that walk through the door. If they count students that sign up for tickets but don't show up, then all bets are off.

MAKBison
10-06-2013, 07:27 PM
throw TM dues on top of those 100 no shows plus a more expensive ticket (student get a rate on the ticket) and you just raised close to a $100K

Again, 18,840. There couldn't have been many student no-shows. Maybe a hundred or less. I don't think anyone has the right to call out the students for only filling around 98% to 99% of their section.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-06-2013, 08:05 PM
People can rip on the students all they want, but for being less than 25% of the crowd attendance, they account for 75% of the noise.

Without the students, that dome would be rather quiet for large parts of the game.

ndsubison1
10-06-2013, 08:15 PM
get ready for the student complaints with homecoming this week

BadlandsBison
10-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Meh, students stuck around for the playoff games. They were just offended by Farley's looks and left

NorthernBison
10-06-2013, 08:42 PM
I was impressed with how well the students filled their sections at the beginning of the game and the energy they brought.

Once the 4th quarter came around, there were WAY more than a few hundred gone. I'd say the top third of the first sideline section was almost empty.

In fairness, there were quite a few blue seats throughout the place by then.

How can anybody call themselves a fan if they leave a game like that before the clock hits zero?

56BISON73
10-06-2013, 08:46 PM
They left because they knew people on BV would bitch about it. Seriously---I got the text!!!!!

reformedUNDfan
10-06-2013, 11:06 PM
KyRo is correct.

also, every students pays around $150 a semester for athletic fees and only a third are able to get a ticket any given week. It's the students team, the rest of us just get to go to the games and help support the team.

stevdock
10-06-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm not going to get on the students case about showing up or leaving early. They pay for their tickets whether they want to or not. Leave them alone, but I don't want to hear whining they don't have enough for homecoming if they don't show up for all the other games.

I'm tired of all of our other fans though that show up when they want and leave when they want. I know they bought the tickets so it's just like the students have bought the tickets. But I have no desire to go back to school again just to get into the game. I do WANT to get season tickets though and am shut out because I didn't have the money before our championship years to get them. It's really sad that part of me wants to cheer for a crappy season so that I can get tickets.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
10-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Sorry let me clarify, $15k per YEAR, not semester.

Tony Almeida
10-07-2013, 12:24 AM
you would think the education would be the big selling point for that $15k, not a guaranteed fb ticket to a game many of you don't show up for and or stay at.

Fyi---- all of the tm who sit around me noticed and commented (negatively) about the student section (both sides) not filling up and the empty seats after the first half (both sides). You need to buck up students or there will be a push for donating alums to have those seats!

(alum---someone who payed several years of tuition...a donating alum----someone still writing a check to ndsu). Not trying to be dick students, just telling you how it is! Get your asses to the game and keep your asses there until the game is over.

hear hear!

MAKBison
10-07-2013, 12:41 AM
That $150 athletic fee also pays for more than just game tickets, it s used to fund things like the Dance Team club, the chest club, the hip hop dance club, that multi-million dollar gym , subsidized bowling etc etc. Comparing student cost to non student cost is like comparing pennies to dollars. The fact is if students don't show up and don't stay, people can make a case for limiting their allotment. Its that simple...go to the game and stay.

KyRo is correct.

also, every students pays around $150 a semester for athletic fees and only a third are able to get a ticket any given week. It's the students team, the rest of us just get to go to the games and help support the team.

BisonNation11
10-07-2013, 12:42 AM
That $150 athletic fee also pays for more than just game tickets, it s used to fund things like the Dance Team club, the chest club, the hip hop dance club, that multi-million dollar gym , subsidized bowling etc etc. Comparing student cost to non student cost is like comparing pennies to dollars. The fact is if students don't show up and don't stay, people can make a case for limiting their allotment. Its that simple...go to the game and stay.

Funny, I haven't seen a fundraiser or calender for this club yet... :biggrin:

gotts
10-07-2013, 12:44 AM

Why was I not informed of chest club when I was in school?

MAKBison
10-07-2013, 12:45 AM
The students that come and stay are great....no doubt about it! We just need another 300 or so of them---That or sell the tickets and raise funds. Who knows we just might find the next TAB.

People can rip on the students all they want, but for being less than 25% of the crowd attendance, they account for 75% of the noise.

Without the students, that dome would be rather quiet for large parts of the game.

Blair
10-07-2013, 06:54 AM
I think the new reserved tailgating section has affected student turnout. We're in the reserved section, and I was very disappointed not only by how few turned out, but also by how late they turned out. It seems to be the "fair weather" section. VIP and free were both mostly full. Students used to be visible all over the back lot, but are much less visible this year. Did we boot them and other fanatical fans for a half full reserved lot? Questioning "whether" it was the right move.

MankatoBison
10-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Shut up. Like 10 kids do it at every game. Enough with your "LETS PLAY UND CAUSE STUDENTS WANT TO" agenda..
10? what? Did you also think there was only 300 people cummulative in the Dome too?? haha whatever, obviously werent siting with us. You hear what you want to, just keep pretending what you say is true. come on over and ask us what we think, we'd all be more than happy to change your mind

devin45k
10-07-2013, 01:28 PM
make the students physically walk over to get the tickets. This sign in and get tickets thing is stupid. It makes fairweather/hungover fans just sign in and not show up or leave at half.

tony
10-07-2013, 01:35 PM
throw TM dues on top of those 100 no shows plus a more expensive ticket (student get a rate on the ticket) and you just raised close to a $100K

Take away student seating and they might take away their student fees. That would be a seven-figure loss. And their donations never go down if the team has a losing season.

Anyway, the students pay for a set amount of seats which means that it's up to them if they use them or not. Just like Team Makers - biggest "blue holes" have traditionally been in the big money Team Maker sections - why not take their seats away?

Anyway, students jam themselves into popular rows. I'd guess that by standing, that a 50-seat row can fit 75 standing students. That means empty seats in the student section.

Trumpster
10-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Don't take away the student tickets, today's students are tomorrow's donors. They could just not have tickets and you swipe to get in. First 3800 in line get in.

devin45k
10-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Don't take away the student tickets, today's students are tomorrow's donors. They could just not have tickets and you swipe to get in. First 3800 in line get in.

Something like this. Students are just logging in now and getting a ticket but not knowing if they are even going or not.

Bison03
10-07-2013, 01:55 PM
I think the new reserved tailgating section has affected student turnout. We're in the reserved section, and I was very disappointed not only by how few turned out, but also by how late they turned out. It seems to be the "fair weather" section. VIP and free were both mostly full. Students used to be visible all over the back lot, but are much less visible this year. Did we boot them and other fanatical fans for a half full reserved lot? Questioning "whether" it was the right move.

A couple things on this. The weather sucked right away and for the frist hour or so. Even a couple of hours before the game, when the lot is usually full of people, it was not as full. If the weather isn't great, less people come that just like to walk around the lot. Also, the reason there is never a lot of students tailgating is that they are either waiting in line, or not 21 and don't want to sit around in the tailgate lot and drink Coke when they could be wating in line or at home enjoying a some pregame drinks.

EC8CH
10-07-2013, 01:59 PM
NDSU students don't let NDSU students get tickets and not show up.

Seriously, if you have information about such a crime report it to the authorities.

And anyone... student or not, who left that game before the last second of the 4th quarter should be ashamed of themselves. They either had never watched a Bison game before or their cat must have been going into labor. For christ's sake, Farley's son broke his leg in two and he stayed till the end.

mnriverbison
10-07-2013, 02:29 PM
This is just cultural I am afraid. Wisconsin has been to 3 straight Rose Bowls and faces worse. Student section weak at kickoff, weak at the end of the game-and that is for important games to say nothing of chump games. Not all kids these days, but way more than in generations past just have so many options for how to waste their time. And they can stay off my lawn while we're on the subject!

344Johnson
10-07-2013, 02:39 PM
10? what? Did you also think there was only 300 people cummulative in the Dome too?? haha whatever, obviously werent siting with us. You hear what you want to, just keep pretending what you say is true. come on over and ask us what we think, we'd all be more than happy to change your mind

Go back to Mankato.

DjKyRo
10-07-2013, 03:20 PM
The wait list for student tickets was at 914 as of 9:30 am today.

missingnumber7
10-07-2013, 03:44 PM
I find it humerous how this comes up every year. The students that leave are doing the same thing that the season ticket holders that are leaving are doing...FINDING MORE ALCOHOL. Honestly a student that has a big screen TV, and is stuck in a crappy seat is probably leaving to watch on for a better view...and who wants to sit behind the band anyway? I never did and never would've wanted to.

A portion of the students are rabid bison football fans, red shirt players have always and will always be annoying portions of the student crowd because they think they are entitled, but I would venture to say that most that post on this board and a good portion of the season ticket holders were part of the crazy student section when they were in school. And the ones that sat in the crappy seats for the games are the ones that sit at home or in bars and watch the games. Its easy to rip the students because you want a seat, but if you really want to be at the game put your money where your mouth, or post is.

I'm a Broncos Season ticket holder and yes they sell out every home game, but there is always between 100 and 1500 empty seats and an announced attendance that reveals that followed by boos for the number of no shows. There are people that wait for season tickets for 5-10 years, I waited for 7 years for season tickets.

344Johnson
10-07-2013, 03:51 PM
I find it humerous how this comes up every year. The students that leave are doing the same thing that the season ticket holders that are leaving are doing...FINDING MORE ALCOHOL. Honestly a student that has a big screen TV, and is stuck in a crappy seat is probably leaving to watch on for a better view...and who wants to sit behind the band anyway? I never did and never would've wanted to.

A portion of the students are rabid bison football fans, red shirt players have always and will always be annoying portions of the student crowd because they think they are entitled, but I would venture to say that most that post on this board and a good portion of the season ticket holders were part of the crazy student section when they were in school. And the ones that sat in the crappy seats for the games are the ones that sit at home or in bars and watch the games. Its easy to rip the students because you want a seat, but if you really want to be at the game put your money where your mouth, or post is.

Based on what I was being told by a lot of fellow students, Gene could be receiving a record number of emails from students today regarding the conduct of said athletes towards fellow students before and during the game.

MNLonghorn10
10-07-2013, 04:04 PM
What's the gist behind the red shirt players?

344Johnson
10-07-2013, 04:10 PM
What's the gist behind the red shirt players?

We've never really had a problem with them saving some seats. I've been able to sit in first or second row on occasion in past even if they do save a few. Issue is now they are saving like three rows and A.) are being dicks about it and patrolling making sure no one else gets in there B.) are shit fans that barely stand or make noise, and C.) it is bad enough that the Yell leader generally over there has moved to a different section because they refuse to get involved.

Like I said, no biggie if they want to save a seat or two, becomes a problem when they feel entitled to multiple rows and don't get involved.

NDSU1980
10-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Take away student seating and they might take away their student fees. That would be a seven-figure loss. And their donations never go down if the team has a losing season.

Anyway, the students pay for a set amount of seats which means that it's up to them if they use them or not. Just like Team Makers - biggest "blue holes" have traditionally been in the big money Team Maker sections - why not take their seats away?

Anyway, students jam themselves into popular rows. I'd guess that by standing, that a 50-seat row can fit 75 standing students. That means empty seats in the student section.
Unless things have drastically changed in college politics, there is no chance of the student funding being eliminated. I was on the Finance Commission for all 4 years of time at NDSU. We pretty much got told every March 1 (when the budgeting for the next year started) what figure the administration would accept. If we would have budget too little money to men's althletics, Loftsgard would have vetoed it. I can't image President B would operate any differently.

In those days, the fee was $30 per quarter and raised about $560,000 a year. Men's athletics got $160,000. I guess we've come a long, long way in funding. And yes, some students complained even then about funding a bunch of jocks.

tony
10-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Unless things have drastically changed in college politics, there is no chance of the student funding being eliminated. I was on the Finance Commission for all 4 years of time at NDSU. We pretty much got told every March 1 (when the budgeting for the next year started) what figure the administration would accept. If we would have budget too little money to men's althletics, Loftsgard would have vetoed it. I can't image President B would operate any differently.

In those days, the fee was $30 per quarter and raised about $560,000 a year. Men's athletics got $160,000. I guess we've come a long, long way in funding. And yes, some students complained even then about funding a bunch of jocks.

Maybe when you were in student government, but student government has threatened funding before. NDSU doesn't want or need that kind of PR. Even if the President could veto the budget and write it himself, it would be an absolute disaster if it ever came to that.

Antagonizing the student body would be monumentally stupid. I wish people would realize this.

That's why Gene and/or the captains need to have a meeting with the red shirts pronto. Being dicks to the students cannot be tolerated.

MNLonghorn10
10-07-2013, 05:42 PM
We've never really had a problem with them saving some seats. I've been able to sit in first or second row on occasion in past even if they do save a few. Issue is now they are saving like three rows and A.) are being dicks about it and patrolling making sure no one else gets in there B.) are shit fans that barely stand or make noise, and C.) it is bad enough that the Yell leader generally over there has moved to a different section because they refuse to get involved.

Like I said, no biggie if they want to save a seat or two, becomes a problem when they feel entitled to multiple rows and don't get involved.
are they first in line to get in or do they get special rights to get into the dome first and just save from there?

especially if some 18 year old kid was telling me who can sit where in basically a GA section. I do hope the student body blows up GT's mailbox about that.

344Johnson
10-07-2013, 05:49 PM
are they first in line to get in or do they get special rights to get into the dome first and just save from there?

especially if some 18 year old kid was telling me who can sit where in basically a GA section. I do hope the student body blows up GT's mailbox about that.

Special rights I think to get in. Never see them in line so I'd imagine they are getting in a different door and they save from there. Gene emailed back, said it'd be dealt with.

tony
10-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Special rights I think to get in. Never see them in line so I'd imagine they are getting in a different door and they save from there. Gene emailed back, said it'd be dealt with.

I'd like to see the team captains deal with this. When NDSU has had down years, it's usually because a sense of entitlement replaced a sense of urgency.

runtheoption
10-07-2013, 06:04 PM

Like I said, no biggie if they want to save a seat or two, becomes a problem when they feel entitled to multiple rows and don't get involved. If true, total BS move on their part. I thought all players, redshirts included, dressed for home games?

344Johnson
10-07-2013, 06:19 PM
I'd like to see the team captains deal with this. When NDSU has had down years, it's usually because a sense of entitlement replaced a sense of urgency.

Should send an email to Olson, "Fire Redshirt Entitlement/ Save Program?"

If true, total BS move on their part. I thought all players, redshirts included, dressed for home games?

Perhaps at one time...not anymore.

MAKBison
10-07-2013, 09:56 PM
YEP, I hope this gets squashed by the team.

Should send an email to Olson, "Fire Redshirt Entitlement/ Save Program?"

Perhaps at one time...not anymore.

DLBison15
10-07-2013, 11:46 PM
This always gives me a good laugh complaining about the student section. Someone is always mad they didn't show up or left early. Lets just be happy they are there as they are always the loudest.

Besides, every game I've gone to the past several years there are always great team maker seats that are left empty or some who left early. What's next, we demand those seats taken away from them because they missed a game or 2?

Time to look in the mirror before complaining.

ndsubison1
10-08-2013, 12:18 AM

there was a problem with them a few years ago then it got dealt with. it appears the same problem has popped up again

Mayville Bison
10-08-2013, 03:19 PM
there was a problem with them a few years ago then it got dealt with. it appears the same problem has popped up again

I remember this happening back in 04 or 05. Waited in line for homecoming game for what seemed like 24 hours to get front row seats. First one in the door and ran to section 16 (or is it 17, man it's been too long) and the entire front row was already filled. They were all redshirt freshman (so the seniors in 08 or 09?), didn't stand, cheer, make any noise, and then left at halftime of what was a pretty decent game if I remember correctly. I tried calling the Athletic Department and the lady I talked to said they had received hundreds of emails and calls and assured me that it would be taken care of. Never happened again. Hoping the same thing happens this time.

missingnumber7
10-08-2013, 03:35 PM
I remember this happening back in 04 or 05. Waited in line for homecoming game for what seemed like 24 hours to get front row seats. First one in the door and ran to section 16 (or is it 17, man it's been too long) and the entire front row was already filled. They were all redshirt freshman (so the seniors in 08 or 09?), didn't stand, cheer, make any noise, and then left at halftime of what was a pretty decent game if I remember correctly. I tried calling the Athletic Department and the lady I talked to said they had received hundreds of emails and calls and assured me that it would be taken care of. Never happened again. Hoping the same thing happens this time.Was 04 and they came in and tried to kick us out of our spots for the first game of the season saying that the seats belonged to the players. Then after that game they were in seats before the student doors were opened. I believe homecoming was the tipping point finally. I know that I had sent several emails to Gene by that time.

Mayville Bison
10-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Was 04 and they came in and tried to kick us out of our spots for the first game of the season saying that the seats belonged to the players. Then after that game they were in seats before the student doors were opened. I believe homecoming was the tipping point finally. I know that I had sent several emails to Gene by that time.

Oh ya, that's right it was the first game of the year and built up. That pissed me off to no end when they came and tried to tell us the seats were reserved after everything below the suites was already filled in.

A1pigskin
10-09-2013, 12:25 AM
No question the students are the loudest.

BisonTeacher
10-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Didnt want to start a new thread so..

After leaving the west lot and heading back to the east lot where we parked...walked through where the students lined up. Looked like someone took about 4 bags of trash and threw them all over the place. Disgusting. Did the wind blow some trash around or Did the students do that while waiting in line? If so...#notimpressed. As a matter of fact somewhat embarrassed

TAILG8R
10-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Didnt want to start a new thread so..

After leaving the west lot and heading back to the east lot where we parked...walked through where the students lined up. Looked like someone took about 4 bags of trash and threw them all over the place. Disgusting. Did the wind blow some trash around or Did the students do that while waiting in line? If so...#notimpressed. As a matter of fact somewhat embarrassed
There was trash everywhere today. Pissed me off to see so much garbage as we walked into the dome. There were multiple areas that looked like an entire garbage can of trash was just thrown about. Is it that hard to keep your trash in its place?

tjbison
10-13-2013, 01:01 AM
There was trash everywhere today. Pissed me off to see so much garbage as we walked into the dome. There were multiple areas that looked like an entire garbage can of trash was just thrown about. Is it that hard to keep your trash in its place?

yep, I walked by a couple in the original reserved lot by some bigger rigs and they had crushed and thrown beer cans on the ground

folks, if you want tailgating respect the damn lot!!!!

they are nice enough to pick up garbage bags for you so use them!

Vitojr130
10-13-2013, 09:31 AM
This always gives me a good laugh complaining about the student section. Someone is always mad they didn't show up or left early. Lets just be happy they are there as they are always the loudest.

Besides, every game I've gone to the past several years there are always great team maker seats that are left empty or some who left early. What's next, we demand those seats taken away from them because they missed a game or 2?

Time to look in the mirror before complaining.

Thank you and I, as a student, am usually one to stick up for us when people bitch and moan about the student section but God damn sections 13 and 14 are terrible above row X. Everyone, and I mean EVERY SINGLE FRESHMEN (confirmed majority were freshmen) looked as if they were refusing to get loud and proud during the game. It got so bad that during the end of the 3rd today, my buddies and I turned around and screamed the whole "GIVE ME AN S, ... E, ... X" and B-R-A chants and they STILL barely participated. Honestly, it's sad. Someone needs to break into the dorms and instill a little school spirit. I think they feel entitled to the success the program has and doesn't think the team actually needs fans.....

bisonfanette
10-13-2013, 07:56 PM
I agree ~ I didn't think the Homecoming fans were nearly as loud... as the 2nd half of last weeks' UNI game.
IMO, the announcer got the crowd fired up when we were behind vs. UNI.
I didn't hear the same enthusiasm from the announcer yesterday... but the fans should be able to "Get Into the Game" regardless. Numerous times, we saw Ryan Smith trying to get the crowd fired-up, on their feet, etc. We can do better.

tony
10-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Homecoming has always been amateur night fan-wise, but this time was actually better than most years. Sure, most of the "this is my only game of the year" fans couldn't be bothered to wear yellow but there were times when they made some pretty decent noise.

Tatanka
10-14-2013, 12:49 AM
Homecoming has always been amateur night fan-wise, but this time was actually better than most years. Sure, most of the "this is my only game of the year" fans couldn't be bothered to wear yellow but there were times when they made some pretty decent noise.

This is true, both for the crowd as a whole, and for the student section.

DjKyRo
10-14-2013, 12:54 AM
I'll admit I took off at halftime. Had a little too much fun tailgating and wasn't feeling great, didn't think the game would be competitive from there on out (which I quickly was corrected on), didn't dig being stuck in the nosebleeds with the freshmen who didn't care to be there, etc. Also had some family in town that couldn't make the game so thought I'd meet up with them and ended up watching the rest of the game at the Turf. As such, take my input on the subject with a grain of salt.

All that said, the two points about "freshman entitlement" (which I think isn't exclusive to freshmen) and garbage are good ones. It seemed like the students waiting in line just dumped their stuff wherever, which I'm sure the Dome authority just loves. Secondly, I don't know what's up with the students. We were in the aforementioned nosebleeds and aside from a group of known diehards the students were largely indifferent to the game - sitting there on cell phones, talking about where they're getting hammered later, or this that and the other. I've sat next to teenage-looking kids who don't open their mouths for a single play. A part of me thinks this is the price of success - the game becomes "an event to attend" rather than "a chance to watch our football team." The 3-8 year dissuaded the casual fans because they don't want to watch a bad product, and the few years after attracted the interested fan because the potential was high. Now, we're at the top and the bandwagoners are hopping back on ship. The point is that whether or not folks want to watch, they want to only watch. Fans aren't involving themselves as much, and I think that's why the first three quarters of the UNI game were more or less stoic until it became competitive.

Granted, I've got a small sampling size, but that's my take. Luckily most of the folks I know still see the game as a must-attend deal and act accordingly - interested in the game, etc.

BisonTeacher
10-14-2013, 01:10 AM
We were talking about this last night....DJ...do they put out garbage cans by the student line? Could that have been a reason for the trash?

DjKyRo
10-14-2013, 01:24 AM
We were talking about this last night....DJ...do they put out garbage cans by the student line? Could that have been a reason for the trash?

I think they have a few nearby, around where the Y94 vehicle parks. I know they're there somewhere. I think of it as a student having a drink or snack or whatever, and they're faced with either getting out of line to throw their stuff away or just putting it on the ground where a.) it can't be connected to them because there's a thousand other students moving through and b.) they don't want to give up their spot to keep things clean. I think it plays back into the main issue of students just not having respect for the program they're watching - they don't know what we had to go through to get where we are, by which I mean 3-8 and the Eastern Washington game. No respect for the program means no respect for the facilities, etc., and so we have the issue.

Man, I feel old griping about how kids nowadays have no appreciation for shit. Next I'll be yelling at freshmen to get off my lawn and telling them that we used to camp out in winter conditions for places in line. Oh wait, we did that.

Tatanka
10-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Well, homecoming's over. A lot of the "being there just to be there" crowd won't be there, giving the real student fans a better shot at tickets. and I'm not too concerned about the gameday atmosphere... it will be there when it needs to be. and a "bad" game at the Fargodome >>> a "great" day pretty much anywhere else in the FCS.

BisonTeacher
10-14-2013, 01:28 AM
Thats no freshman on your lawn. Its AG!!!

roadwarrior
10-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Its a long time until the next home game, and that happens to land on a three day holiday weekend for the students. Lucky if half the student tickets are taken that week.

Tatanka
10-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Its a long time until the next home game, and that happens to land on a three day holiday weekend for the students. Lucky if half the student tickets are taken that week.

yuuuuuup. might as well start a bitching thread now.

wait, never mind.

DjKyRo
10-14-2013, 02:19 AM
For the record, I've seen the numbers that support student crowds dwindling (relatively) after homecoming. I wonder how the issues discussed in this thread will be affected.

I.E., fewer bandwagon students equaling less trash and more cheering? We'll find out.

Tatanka
10-14-2013, 02:24 AM
For the record, I've seen the numbers that support student crowds dwindling (relatively) after homecoming. I wonder how the issues discussed in this thread will be affected.

I.E., fewer bandwagon students equaling less trash and more cheering? We'll find out.

exactly what I was alluding to.

missingnumber7
10-14-2013, 02:24 AM
I think they have a few nearby, around where the Y94 vehicle parks. I know they're there somewhere. I think of it as a student having a drink or snack or whatever, and they're faced with either getting out of line to throw their stuff away or just putting it on the ground where a.) it can't be connected to them because there's a thousand other students moving through and b.) they don't want to give up their spot to keep things clean. I think it plays back into the main issue of students just not having respect for the program they're watching - they don't know what we had to go through to get where we are, by which I mean 3-8 and the Eastern Washington game. No respect for the program means no respect for the facilities, etc., and so we have the issue.

Man, I feel old griping about how kids nowadays have no appreciation for shit. Next I'll be yelling at freshmen to get off my lawn and telling them that we used to camp out in winter conditions for places in line. Oh wait, we did that.This as been an issue since Babich used to bring Doughnuts and Bohl brought Pizzas. The food was awesome, but the dome folks came out and said you better take care of the garbage. With no bags and no cans how could we do this...thankfully there was a friend or two that happened to be with the BisonBrigade that helped us out the first couple times...finally we got A as in 1 garbage can...at that time the line was 40-50 students up till about 20 mins before the doors opened.

BisonTeacher
10-14-2013, 02:33 AM

Isu r is a holiday weekend?

aces1180
10-14-2013, 02:49 AM
Isu r is a holiday weekend?

Veterans Day plus deer opener...

BisonEngrGirl
10-14-2013, 03:17 AM

Tickets are free so there will always be a good group of apathetic students just going because it's less boring than homework. If we want to rid ourselves of this type of fan, start charging for single game tickets.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

DjKyRo
10-14-2013, 03:49 AM
Veterans Day plus deer opener...

Aw sh*t.

bisonfanette
10-14-2013, 03:55 AM
Last year, didn't we have very good attendance the wknd of deer opener?
I remember being pleasantly surprised... I think (?)

NorthernBison
10-14-2013, 01:25 PM

It was the SDSU game that weekend. Anybody who waited until the morning of the game to head for Fargo from the Central part of the state was SOL. Ice coated roads too slippery to even walk on.

aces1180
10-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Tickets are free so there will always be a good group of apathetic students just going because it's less boring than homework. If we want to rid ourselves of this type of fan, start charging for single game tickets.

People actually do homework on the weekend before Sunday night? Seriously?

gotts
10-14-2013, 01:42 PM
People actually do homework? Seriously?

Fixed for my college experience.

BisonEngrGirl
10-14-2013, 08:45 PM

Well, I personally didn't! Which is why it took me a few extra semesters..... But I stayed to the end of every Bison game!

SDbison
10-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Isu r is a holiday weekend? Yep and its my birthday too! Going to skip the cake and have a few extra jagbombs!

344Johnson
10-14-2013, 09:27 PM

Only D-bags do.

BadlandsBison
10-14-2013, 11:40 PM

I think the deer licenses are down this year, I don't feel like searching right now though

BismarckBisonFan
10-14-2013, 11:57 PM
I think the deer licenses are down this year, I don't feel like searching right now though

Just under 60K tags this year. All time high about five years ago was around 110K. For N.D.

1998braves64
10-15-2013, 01:51 AM
Yup they are down not as much as last year but a far cry from few years ago and heard the deer population is taking a hit again on western side of ND from disease yet again. http://gf.nd.gov/news/second-deer-lottery-held-remaining-license-sales-suspended

56BISON73
10-15-2013, 02:07 AM

I'm a Broncos Season ticket holder and yes they sell out every home game, but there is always between 100 and 1500 empty seats and an announced attendance that reveals that followed by boos for the number of no shows. There are people that wait for season tickets for 5-10 years, I waited for 7 years for season tickets.

Every year? Every freaking week during the season.

Vitojr130
10-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Man, I feel old griping about how kids nowadays have no appreciation for shit. Next I'll be yelling at freshmen to get off my lawn and telling them that we used to camp out in winter conditions for places in line. Oh wait, we did that.

Well, I suppose I'll chime in on this issue now as I didn't feel the need to address it earlier.

From what I saw, and I was near the front of the student line, there was one garbage can by where Y94 usually parks and it was packed. There will always be people who disrespect the facilities and such, but I do not think that was the overwhelming reason as to why there was so much garbage.

You can bet that if there wasn't a full garbage can we would have already received emails about respecting the environment and not littering. However, it was full.

Vitojr130
10-15-2013, 07:45 AM

Tickets are definitely not free to students. Rather, the money is taken out in the form of an athletic fee at close to $400 per semester. That's $800 per year. I, and may others, would be pretty pissed if they started charging even more to the already likely-broke students.

Tatanka
10-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Tickets are definitely not free to students. Rather, the money is taken out in the form of an athletic fee at close to $400 per semester. That's $800 per year. I, and may others, would be pretty pissed if they started charging even more to the already likely-broke students.

you may want to revise your numbers. The portion of your fees that goes to athletics is significantly lower than the figures you just posted.

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

gotts
10-15-2013, 12:44 PM
you may want to revise your numbers. The portion of your fees that goes to athletics is significantly lower than the figures you just posted.

...and you still pay it whether you attend any events or not!

Tatanka
10-15-2013, 01:35 PM
...and you still pay it whether you attend any events or not!

also true.

344Johnson
10-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Reasons my friends leave football games early(no particular order):

1.) Go drink more.
2.) Minnesota kids like to go watch FBS games at home.
3.) Halftime is "too long"
4.) Blowout.
5.) Goes from being an event to a game that they are not all that interested in. (pertains most to females)
6.) Need a nap before drinking more.
7.) Perhaps dumbest excuse....need to do homework(save that nonsense for Sunday or at least after the game)
8.) Lack of appreciation for running the ball and defense leads to boredom.
9.) Church...some Catholics like to get that done Saturday evening so they can sleep in and do as they please Sunday.
10.) "crappy" seats.

CaBisonFan
10-15-2013, 06:41 PM

1.) Go drink more.
4.) Blowout.
5.) Goes from being an event to a game that they are not all that interested in. (pertains most to females)
7.) Perhaps dumbest excuse....need to do homework(save that nonsense for Sunday or at least after the game)
9.) Church...some Catholics like to get that done Saturday evening so they can sleep in and do as they please Sunday.
10.) "crappy" seats.

These sound about right. Might add 'go shopping' to the list. Hell...it's college.

344Johnson
10-15-2013, 06:47 PM
These sound about right. Might add 'go shopping' to the list. Hell...it's college.

11 reasons would just be obnoxious.

CaBisonFan
10-15-2013, 06:59 PM

You're right...maybe a round number would be better.

Add this one..."Football is irrelevant in my life presently."

ndsubison1
10-15-2013, 08:14 PM

1.) Go drink more.
4.) Blowout.
10.) "crappy" seats.

worst excuse was "We're just gonna win anyway".

Bison bison
10-15-2013, 09:04 PM
The students left in protest of the bresciani administration!!!

56BISON73
10-15-2013, 09:05 PM
They left because they are students. Thats what they do.

Mayville Bison
10-15-2013, 09:13 PM
#notimpressed

bisonaudit
10-15-2013, 09:25 PM
I just don't get this obsession some people have with the student head count at various points during the game. All kinds of people no matter their age or status as a student leave early for all kinds of reasons. Personally, I'm a stay to the end type of person. Always have been. But I know a lot of people, informed, dedicated, sports people, who aren't. The only time this bothers me is if they're blocking my view of the action on their way to the door.

I've got to wonder if some people aren't hung up on the student ticket allotment (which isn't free, despite some insisting on saying so).

HerdBot
10-16-2013, 02:24 AM

It doesn't sound official, like the ten commandments

CAS4127
10-16-2013, 02:26 AM
It doesn't sound official, like the ten commandments

Or like "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

Now that's offici'al!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

56BISON73
10-16-2013, 03:14 AM
I just don't get this obsession some people have with the student head count at various points during the game. All kinds of people no matter their age or status as a student leave early for all kinds of reasons. Personally, I'm a stay to the end type of person. Always have been. But I know a lot of people, informed, dedicated, sports people, who aren't. The only time this bothers me is if they're blocking my view of the action on their way to the door.

I've got to wonder if some people aren't hung up on the student ticket allotment (which isn't free, despite some insisting on saying so).

Its just one of the many bitching obsessions. Student attendance, students leaving early, students not making noise, fans not making noise, fans not standing up on 3rd down, now fans not standing on 1st or 2cnd down, Fans not showing up for game, Fans not giving away tickets because they wont be there, fans not using tailgate spots, Fans not wearing yellow-green depending on game, Fans missing game because of harvest, deer opener, pheasant opener, family death you pick or make one up, etc etc etc. I am sure there is more.:biggrin:

Bisonfan1
10-16-2013, 03:45 AM
Its just one of the many bitching obsessions. Student attendance, students leaving early, students not making noise, fans not making noise, fans not standing up on 3rd down, now fans not standing on 1st or 2cnd down, Fans not showing up for game, Fans not giving away tickets because they wont be there, fans not using tailgate spots, Fans not wearing yellow-green depending on game, Fans missing game because of harvest, deer opener, pheasant opener, family death you pick or make one up, etc etc etc. I am sure there is more.:biggrin:

PL and Wyo - Just keep wearing green and killing teh elk - we like the sausage. !!

BlueBisonRock
10-16-2013, 03:46 AM

At least no one bitches about PL's sausage!

Tony Almeida
10-16-2013, 03:49 AM

Call it bitching or whatever but it's the road you take if you want to be a big time program...everything you mentioned above, except for the death thing, is what makes these big programs who they are and what makes the rest so envious...

Sorry if I want to be like the Alabama's, Florida's, and even K-state's but it all starts with the fans. First you need the numbers, then the participation, then comes the unity and pride...well you get my drift.

...and to think certain people want us to move up...

bisonaudit
10-16-2013, 03:58 AM
Call it bitching or whatever but it's the road you take if you want to be a big time program...everything you mentioned above, except for the death thing, is what makes these big programs who they are and what makes the rest so envious...

Sorry if I want to be like the Alabama's, Florida's, and even K-state's but it all starts with the fans. First you need the numbers, then the participation, then comes the unity and pride...well you get my drift.

Alabama has more issues getting students to come to games and to stay than we do.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/09/alabama_encourages_students_to.html

Tony Almeida
10-16-2013, 04:20 AM
Alabama has more issues getting students to come to games and to stay than we do.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/09/alabama_encourages_students_to.html

Ahh yeah but they also expanded their stadium to seat over 100,000 which resulted in more student seating AND freshman are also limited when buying tickets. They would have no problem filling that stadium if they would just open it up to any students!

Who knows, maybe they were in over their heads when the expansion was built as well...

56BISON73
10-16-2013, 04:29 AM

Seriously??????????????????????The above has nothing to do with a big time program.

56BISON73
10-16-2013, 04:32 AM
At least no one bitches about PL's sausage!

Well they do mention that the sausage is too big. But its not a complaint from what I can tell.

unbison
10-16-2013, 11:40 AM

You seriously think people in Alabama or Kansas always sell their season tickets. You really believe North Dakota is the only state with a overlap of hunters and football fans/ season ticket holders ...... Good grief

gotts
10-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Since we're in the bitching season, I'd like to bitch about the guy in Section 24 from the UNI game (upper rows) that got mad at us because we wouldn't stand and make noise on 3rd down... of our own offensive possessions!

TransAmBison
10-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Since we're in the bitching season, I'd like to bitch about the guy in Section 24 from the UNI game (upper rows) that got mad at us because we wouldn't stand and make noise on 3rd down... of our own offensive possessions!We had a couple newbs in the bottom of section 21 as well.

tjbison
10-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Since we're in the bitching season, I'd like to bitch about the guy in Section 24 from the UNI game (upper rows) that got mad at us because we wouldn't stand and make noise on 3rd down... of our own offensive possessions!

sorry that was me

I was confused.....might have been those mushrooms I did in the tailgate lot

:rofl:

no not really me

BisonAccountant44
10-16-2013, 01:11 PM
I thought the student turnout at homecoming was fine . What I couldn't believe was that we somehow set an attendance record. Less than 5 minutes before they announced my buddy and I were having a conversation about how empty the entire West side looked. 19 and 23 were all but abandoned, and even 20 and 21 looked liked they were missing people.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Mayville Bison
10-16-2013, 01:25 PM

First one is a legit complaint in my opinion. Second one is just dumb for whoever didn't sell their tickets - there are 10's of thousands of people looking for a way into the dome right? Might as well make some money off of it. The rest is bisonville being bisonville.

Oh and don't forget the argument over saying "Sioux Suck" at the end of cheers.

Mayville Bison
10-16-2013, 01:33 PM
I thought the student turnout at homecoming was fine . What I couldn't believe was that we somehow set an attendance record. Less than 5 minutes before they announced my buddy and I were having a conversation about how empty the entire West side looked. 19 and 23 were all but abandoned, and even 20 and 21 looked liked they were missing people.

Ya, I really was confused about that. Might as well add that to the bitch fest list, too. Do they use the number as tickets sold or people that pass through. With the scanners, you would think they go with actual attendence, but I was confused with how we set a record.

bisonaudit
10-16-2013, 01:39 PM
With the scanners, you would think they go with actual attendence,

Why would you think that?

Unless someone is forcing them to publish this number they're always going to go with the tickets sold number - it's bigger.

Mayville Bison
10-16-2013, 01:52 PM

Unless someone is forcing them to publish this number they're always going to go with the tickets sold number - it's bigger.

If that's the case, why isn't every week pretty much the same number? I know someone mentioned they can walk up and get obstructed view seats pretty much any time, but I don't see that many people doing that where the number would drastically change.

missingnumber7
10-16-2013, 02:07 PM

Tickets sold is what creates the "sell-out"....actual attendance=asses in seats (LMAO) Two would be completely unrealated. It would be funny to see peoples reaction when they report they have a sell out but only had X amount of people attend meaning they has X number no shows. The broncos do it every home game and people boo the no shows. The amount of tickets sold is just money in the athletic budget.

Professor Chaos
10-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Attendance is the number of tickets that pass through the gates, not the number of tickets sold. Last year every game was sold out yet Prairie View A&M only had an attendance of 18,623 (link (http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=322662449)), Indiana St only had 18.164 (link (http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=322872449)) and Southern Illinois was 18,066 (link (http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=323012449)). Some of that was a few extra seats in the student section but I'm pretty sure it was packed for the PV A&M game.

bisonsupporter
10-16-2013, 02:29 PM

Not only those sections but in the southeast corner (4,5,6) there were completely empty rows i spotted. Everyone around me in Section 8 was questioning the attendance number announced. The standing room in the corners wasnt even full.

344Johnson
10-16-2013, 02:47 PM
bitching season post:

Guy completely hammered in row F of section 17 right across the aisle from student section. I usually find him hilarious(has a great mustache)...but homecoming he was creeping girls the row in front of me out..felt bad for them. Was talking about how he wanted to sleep with some girl a couple seats away from me loud enough for people to hear...while her boyfriend was right there. Security came down at halftime to talk to people around him while he was gone...so someone must have complained.

If I was sitting in those seats, I imagine they are not cheap being on the 35 yard line that close to the field, I would not be happy to deal with that behavior if it is a common occurrence.

runtheoption
10-16-2013, 03:24 PM
but homecoming he was creeping girls the row in front of me out..
Did he also throw the cow over the fence some hay?

MHDBisonfan
10-18-2013, 01:59 AM

They used to do this in the late 80's - give out some ridiculous attendance figure. Which was all fine and dandy until a student went out and physically counted all of the seats and it wasn't even close to the attendance they were giving. That was when the push for the new domed stadium was starting to gain traction I think - although I could be wrong about that, I graduated after the 1990 fall football season so I didn't keep as close of tabs on things. Is history repeating itself?

Mayville Bison
10-18-2013, 01:02 PM
They used to do this in the late 80's - give out some ridiculous attendance figure. Which was all fine and dandy until a student went out and physically counted all of the seats and it wasn't even close to the attendance they were giving. That was when the push for the new domed stadium was starting to gain traction I think - although I could be wrong about that, I graduated after the 1990 fall football season so I didn't keep as close of tabs on things. Is history repeating itself?

I was wondering if it had anything to do with a push for a new stadium. Artificially inflate the numbers to show the demand is larger than the dome. If that's the case (we could very well be off and there were actually 19,000 who came through the doors), why not instead keep a waiting list for season tickets and you would see demand right there. It won't be the exact number because it doesn't count in single game interest, but it's a good start.

Tatanka
10-18-2013, 01:19 PM
I was wondering if it had anything to do with a push for a new stadium. Artificially inflate the numbers to show the demand is larger than the dome. If that's the case (we could very well be off and there were actually 19,000 who came through the doors), why not instead keep a waiting list for season tickets and you would see demand right there. It won't be the exact number because it doesn't count in single game interest, but it's a good start.

are you suggesting that they don't have said waiting list?

stevdock
10-18-2013, 02:04 PM

I asked 2 different times to get on a waiting list for season tickets during the offseason and they said they didn't have one. So if they do now I'm going to be a little ticked off.

Trumpster
10-18-2013, 02:20 PM
I asked 2 different times to get on a waiting list for season tickets during the offseason and they said they didn't have one. So if they do now I'm going to be a little ticked off.

The waiting list is the amount of priority points you have. They kind of fail at communicating that. They should have a "wait list" but just say that if you increase the amount of priority points you have, the higher on the list you go.

Mayville Bison
10-18-2013, 03:01 PM

The waiting list is the amount of priority points you have. They kind of fail at communicating that. They should have a "wait list" but just say that if you increase the amount of priority points you have, the higher on the list you go.

That's not a waiting list to gauge any type of interest. It tells people without a significant amount of cash to not even try. It is great for raising money, though, so they have their positives and negatives. I'd, personally, have a true waiting list to get into the dome and then use the priority points to get to the seats you want, but I'm not going to second guess Simmers as what Teammakers has done is downright awesome for the university!

Hammerhead
10-18-2013, 03:19 PM
I wish I could remember name of the anti-dome guy who actually counted the seats at Dacotah Field. The photo below is from 1986 and I don't think it ever held 12,000. :)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5286/5306668934_f9499e45a0_b.jpg

bisonaudit
10-18-2013, 03:33 PM
That's not a waiting list to gauge any type of interest. It tells people without a significant amount of cash to not even try. It is great for raising money, though, so they have their positives and negatives. I'd, personally, have a true waiting list to get into the dome and then use the priority points to get to the seats you want, but I'm not going to second guess Simmers as what Teammakers has done is downright awesome for the university!

Another great way to raise money would be to capture some more of the $3 million difference in dues between what newer members are paying for their football seats and what pre-2007 (?? date ??) members are. There are about 2,500 seats in the scholarship sections and if my math is right only about 20% of them are making the full contribution a new member would have to make to get those seats.

We're on a great run and marginal demand is very high, but IMO that's a lot of equity accruing to the loyalty column on the backs of new members. I'd have thought we'd of made more progress in 6+ years.

Mayville Bison
10-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Another great way to raise money would be to capture some more of the $3 million difference in dues between what newer members are paying for their football seats and what pre-2007 (?? date ??) members are. There are about 2,500 seats in the scholarship sections and if my math is right only about 20% of them are making the full contribution a new member would have to make to get those seats.

We're on a great run and marginal demand is very high, but IMO that's a lot of equity accruing to the loyalty column on the backs of new members. I'd have thought we'd of made more progress in 6+ years.

I know they made progress on them, but I don't know if they are at 100%. My brother got tickets in front of the red seats around 2003 or so. When I graduated a few years later, I talked with Simmers about getting seats near him and the cost would be about $190/month ($2280/year). He mentioned how they would have to raise it over time and they were implementing the same thing with the current ticket holders. Knowing how much he paid this past year for his tickets, either he voluntarily caughed up the extra money or they raised them over time.

bisonaudit
10-18-2013, 04:11 PM
I know they made progress on them, but I don't know if they are at 100%. My brother got tickets in front of the red seats around 2003 or so. When I graduated a few years later, I talked with Simmers about getting seats near him and the cost would be about $190/month ($2280/year). He mentioned how they would have to raise it over time and they were implementing the same thing with the current ticket holders. Knowing how much he paid this past year for his tickets, either he voluntarily caughed up the extra money or they raised them over time.

The seating chart says there's a little over $6 million in potential teammakers dues out there if everyone is paying what new members pay. Teammakers contributed a little over $3 million in scholarship money to the athletic department last year. There's either $3 million that historic ticket holders aren't paying, $3 million in teammakers dues somewhere else, or some combination of the two.

MHDBisonfan
10-18-2013, 04:23 PM
I wish I could remember name of the anti-dome guy who actually counted the seats at Dacotah Field. The photo below is from 1986 and I don't think it ever held 12,000. :)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, I thought it was right around 12,000, maybe a little more. There was some sort of "set a new attendance record" push going on and they were shooting for 20,000. My memory is probably off, but I seem to recall being at a game where they claimed we had gone over 20,000. I think it was shortly after that the student went out and actually counted the seats. Oops.

HerdBot
10-18-2013, 04:59 PM

I thought it looked empty but I looked with my binoculars and realized people wearing dark colors look like empty seats when contrast against a yellow shirt. Serious. I think that's why they push for yellow because it sticks out

Saw some empties in the great seats

Now students in the 2nd half was empty

344Johnson
10-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, I thought it was right around 12,000, maybe a little more. There was some sort of "set a new attendance record" push going on and they were shooting for 20,000. My memory is probably off, but I seem to recall being at a game where they claimed we had gone over 20,000. I think it was shortly after that the student went out and actually counted the seats. Oops.

Looks about as big as CAS to me....

Mayville Bison
10-18-2013, 05:08 PM
The seating chart says there's a little over $6 million in potential teammakers dues out there if everyone is paying what new members pay. Teammakers contributed a little over $3 million in scholarship money to the athletic department last year. There's either $3 million that historic ticket holders aren't paying, $3 million in teammakers dues somewhere else, or some combination of the two.

Just before the recent success, you were still able to get in at a discounted rate no matter where you sit and then build up to where it should be. I wish I could remember my talk with Simmers perfectly, but I think it was something to the effect of a 4-5 year plan. If that was in effect for 2009-2010 seasons we still have a year or two. With as much demand as there is now, he would be stupid to allow the same thing to happen.

That still doesn't explain a 50% gap like you showed, so there must be some of the higher priced seats still below par. When did they up the requirements to half/three-quarters/full scholarship?

1998braves64
10-18-2013, 05:21 PM

you forgot online counts

A1pigskin
10-19-2013, 12:17 AM
The students left because they had to study.

MankatoBison
10-19-2013, 02:17 AM
Just read on a media release that Montana State is averaging just under 20k a game. So I went to their website and they had a story about how they broke an attendance record with 21k at a recent game...... oooookay... Does anyone think thats just ridiculous? their stadium capacity is listed at a few hundred less than ours... but they say theyre packing 2-4 thousand more than us per game. I understand they have bleachers and an open endzone for standing room... But it looks to me that both of our sidelines have more seats... and our endzone looks to be a toss up... and then we had an additional endzone to top it off...

Two thoughts come to mind
1. They're HORRIBLE at counting in Montana, and have a case of the NDSU's from the 80's when we too claimed to have around 20thou for some games.
2. Their counting is correct and they are somehow drawing 20k/game... which makes me wonder "If MSU can get 20k/game.. how many can We draw- CONSISTANTLY. We have twice the fanbase as them MINIMUM. sooo... how many? My guess would probably cap out at 24k or so right now... thoughts? (And I'm sure this has been talked about before, but just humor me with an estimate please haha)

BisonTeacher
10-19-2013, 02:22 AM
Are you implying they are over estimating by a few zenners? Or arw you saying that those counting are a few zenners short of a first down?

MankatoBison
10-19-2013, 02:34 AM
Are you implying they are over estimating by a few zenners? Or arw you saying that those counting are a few zenners short of a first down?

Hahah... I believe BOTH of those are correct. gotta be a few zenners short of a first down if you walk outta a game with The Bison last minute haha

cracker
10-26-2013, 04:38 AM
They leave early at other places, too.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9880250/alabama-crimson-tide-punish-students-leaving-early

BisonTeacher
10-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Sabin talking about alabama fans leaving early on gameday today.

On_the_road
10-26-2013, 02:19 PM

I saw that just now. It seems fans leaving is a more common occurrence than we might think.

tjbison
10-26-2013, 02:27 PM
I saw that just now. It seems fans leaving is a more common occurrence than we might think.

it is, happens everywhere, just more noticeable in a stadium that only seat 19k opposed to 100k

1st&TennBison
10-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Not only is Sabin telling then not to come if they are not going to stay the whole game, he wants them to give their tickets to people who will stay. And the school is taking away the reserved ticket assignment of those students who have left, they did it for this weeks game and are making it a free for all with seating (first come first serve), could it lead to losing their tickets all together? Who knows, but when Nick talks the school listens. I have to admit that I like the idea, if your not going to stay at least until mid 4th quarter of any game including a lopsided win then why go at all. Due to my not really knowing the system that well yet I did not end up getting season tickets and missed my chance when they sold the last 2-3 thousand seats in like a half hour. I have still managed to make it to all the home games but have had to scramble to do so and I have not once left a game before the clock read 00.00.

56BISON73
10-26-2013, 04:28 PM

Did he compare them to NDSU????:biggrin:

HerdBot
10-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Just read on a media release that Montana State is averaging just under 20k a game. So I went to their website and they had a story about how they broke an attendance record with 21k at a recent game...... oooookay... Does anyone think thats just ridiculous? their stadium capacity is listed at a few hundred less than ours... but they say theyre packing 2-4 thousand more than us per game. I understand they have bleachers and an open endzone for standing room... But it looks to me that both of our sidelines have more seats... and our endzone looks to be a toss up... and then we had an additional endzone to top it off...

Two thoughts come to mind
1. They're HORRIBLE at counting in Montana, and have a case of the NDSU's from the 80's when we too claimed to have around 20thou for some games.
2. Their counting is correct and they are somehow drawing 20k/game... which makes me wonder "If MSU can get 20k/game.. how many can We draw- CONSISTANTLY. We have twice the fanbase as them MINIMUM. sooo... how many? My guess would probably cap out at 24k or so right now... thoughts? (And I'm sure this has been talked about before, but just humor me with an estimate please haha)

Montana State is trying to be better than us at some kind of ranking.... makes them feel better about the themselves. Well never know what our record could be until they figure out something

Facts
10-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Not only is Sabin telling then not to come if they are not going to stay the whole game, he wants them to give their tickets to people who will stay. And the school is taking away the reserved ticket assignment of those students who have left, they did it for this weeks game and are making it a free for all with seating (first come first serve), could it lead to losing their tickets all together? Who knows, but when Nick talks the school listens. I have to admit that I like the idea, if your not going to stay at least until mid 4th quarter of any game including a lopsided win then why go at all. Due to my not really knowing the system that well yet I did not end up getting season tickets and missed my chance when they sold the last 2-3 thousand seats in like a half hour. I have still managed to make it to all the home games but have had to scramble to do so and I have not once left a game before the clock read 00.00.

I fully anticipate our students allotment being reduced and possibly moving them to the end zone as well.

bisonaudit
10-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I fully anticipate our students allotment being reduced and possibly moving them to the end zone as well.

That would be some BS.

Alabama hasn't taken any seats away from students they've just stopped giving some blocks of student seats to specific organizations, mostly Greek houses.