PDA

View Full Version : SDSU news likely to break big news on stadium plans......

THEsocalledfan
10-04-2013, 12:44 PM
per TV:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20131004/SPORTS0202/310040020/Latest-plans-works-new-SDSU-football-stadium?nclick_check=1

Now, I know this is conceded, but I have to believe the beat down NDSU gave them probably helped the fund raising; they will never be on NDSU's level until they fix that joke of a stadium and they have to know that.*

*Or was it the overflowing port-a-johns?

DePereBisonFan
10-04-2013, 01:44 PM
At this point I don't know why any MVFC stadium renovation would include less than 25,000 seats. If you're going to build for the future, build for the future.

The big Jackrabbit logo is pretty cool though.

THEsocalledfan
10-04-2013, 01:50 PM
At this point I don't know why any MVFC stadium renovation would include less than 25,000 seats. If you're going to build for the future, build for the future.

We were talking at work how it appears the east side is done on the cheap again. Could be just a bad artist, but why make one side way nicer than the other? I don't get that.

jack power
10-04-2013, 02:00 PM
per TV:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20131004/SPORTS0202/310040020/Latest-plans-works-new-SDSU-football-stadium?nclick_check=1

Now, I know this is conceded, but I have to believe the beat down NDSU gave them probably helped the fund raising; they will never be on NDSU's level until they fix that joke of a stadium and they have to know that.*

*Or was it the overflowing port-a-johns?
I don't know if conceded it the right word. Thinking that the win helped fund raising would be extremely delusional,even narcissistic. I know that's a pretty big word so i'll help you out: http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2008/08/04/how-to-spot-a-narcissist/

NDSUstudent
10-04-2013, 02:00 PM

I think 18k is the right size...if they need to go bigger it looks like the place can be easily expanded.

Tatanka
10-04-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't know if conceded it the right word. Thinking that the win helped fund raising would be extremely delusional,even narcissistic. I know that's a pretty big word so i'll help you out: http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2008/08/04/how-to-spot-a-narcissist/
Any one win, perhaps not. In aggregate, definitely. There is no doubt in my mind that catching up to NDSU (or attempting to do so) was very much on the minds of those behind the project.

moosbah
10-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Any one win, perhaps not. In aggregate, definitely. There is no doubt in my mind that catching up to NDSU (or attempting to do so) was very much on the minds of those behind the project.

To build on this, I think that SDSU needs to catch up in general. Other than WIU (which is in need of a total mulligan on that horrendous effort to fix that stadium) and ISU-B (I hear seating people on both sides of the field is going to be the latest rage) the remainder of the valley outdoor stadiums are in far better shape than the jacks high school field.

HerdBot
10-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Its all hype they strategically put out during the peak of recruiting is season to wow recruits.
Remember UND and their 50k seat retractable roof stadium? :rofl:
I remember one recruit they got talking about it in an interview. He's now a junior. Where's the stadium?

jackrabbit1979
10-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Its all hype they strategically put out during the peak of recruiting is season to wow recruits.
Remember UND and their 50k seat retractable roof stadium? :rofl:
I remember one recruit they got talking about it in an interview. He's now a junior. Where's the stadium?

You mean like the BSA renovation?

I'll be the first to admit that facilities aren't everything. But if this is done by 2016 (or maybe even 2015 as is included in the SD BOR report), SDSU will have the finest FB facilities in the MVFC, hands down. $6 million locker room/weight room/academic facility, $30 million indoor practice facility, and $65 million stadium. It won't mean that the Jackrabbits are automatically the class of the league like NDSU is now, but it will sure even the playing field a bit.

HerdBot
10-04-2013, 03:06 PM

I'll be the first to admit that facilities aren't everything. But if this is done by 2016 (or maybe even 2015 as is included in the SD BOR report), SDSU will have the finest FB facilities in the MVFC, hands down. $6 million locker room/weight room/academic facility, $30 million indoor practice facility, and $65 million stadium. It won't mean that the Jackrabbits are automatically the class of the league like NDSU is now, but it will sure even the playing field a bit.

That is a big time preposterous statement! :rofl: You could double the cost of the new stadium and it wont touch our facilities. (may put you on par with Southern Illinois though) We too are getting the weight room upgrades and player lounge in the shac. If the dome was built today it would cost more than the city of brookings

If you were to build the dome brand new in todays dollars what would it cost? If it was 50 million 20 years ago (not including the front addition) what would it cost today? 100 million? 150 million? more?
Let's just say the REMODEL of the BSA is going to cost 35-40 million which is close to the original cost of the dome and your talking about a 65 million dollar stadium. Not in the same league.

The new SHAC is going to have a world class weight room and player lounge. We already have the incredible coaching offices and meeting rooms. The dome addition has a proposed skywalk connecting the 2 buildings. And yes, we practice in the dome which is a 100 yard field, not a mini 80 yard field. We have 2 outdoor synthetic turf practice fields. If you think a little practice time outdoors is such a bad thing, what do they players think about playing outdoors? [hint, dont recruit pussies]

so yes you will have a nicer stadium than your current high school field but don't kid yourself. It's not in the same league. :rofl:
And we're much closer to completing the SHAC than you are the football stadium. Bids are in and 35 million is raised! (track and field is already done)

moosbah
10-04-2013, 03:09 PM

No doubt the BSA renovation is seemingly taking forever and needs to be completed. It's a friggin joke.:facepalm:

aces1180

Big difference here...SDSU can start their projects without all the money being in hand...NDSU cannot, as all funds my be in place before the project can begin.

MNLonghorn10

Lol. Keep telling yourself that. Maybe you'll get to the semi finals in 2016!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

KSBisonFan
10-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Bob Bowlsby probably had a hand in this stadium thing when he was on his way to Fargo.

bisonmike2
10-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Good for them. Plans look nice.

Tatanka
10-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Bob Bowlsby probably had a hand in this stadium thing when he was on his way to Fargo.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/wesly_slap_zpsd44cce00.gif

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/Babu-Finger-Wag1-1_zps61897b43.gif

tjbison
10-04-2013, 03:18 PM

recruits want more than facilities, yes SDSU needs this good for them. but is 2016 the year you start building a long 100yr tradition of winning?

jackrabbit1979
10-04-2013, 03:54 PM
recruits want more than facilities, yes SDSU needs this good for them. but is 2016 the year you start building a long 100yr tradition of winning?

Reread the second sentence in my post. For that matter, reread the last sentence, too. :facepalm:

jackrabbit1979
10-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Big difference here...SDSU can start their projects without all the money being in hand...NDSU cannot, as all funds my be in place before the project can begin.

Agreed. Now if I was SD Bison, I would go on a two paragraph rant about how much of a backwards state ND is and they won't fund or care about their programs or universities, etc, etc, etc.

I know that it's not Football, and basketball is a different subject at NDSU, but I'm surprised at how long it has taken for the money to be raised for the BSA as well.

THEsocalledfan
10-04-2013, 04:06 PM
I know that it's not Football, and basketball is a different subject at NDSU, but I'm surprised at how long it has taken for the money to be raised for the BSA as well.

Butfootball? (Always loved that SDSU slam.....)

jackrabbit1979
10-04-2013, 04:21 PM
That is a big time preposterous statement! :rofl: You could double the cost of the new stadium and it wont touch our facilities. (may put you on par with Southern Illinois though) We too are getting the weight room upgrades and player lounge in the shac. If the dome was built today it would cost more than the city of brookings

If you were to build the dome brand new in todays dollars what would it cost? If it was 50 million 20 years ago (not including the front addition) what would it cost today? 100 million? 150 million? more?
Let's just say the REMODEL of the BSA is going to cost 35-40 million which is close to the original cost of the dome and your talking about a 65 million dollar stadium. Not in the same league.

The new SHAC is going to have a world class weight room and player lounge. We already have the incredible coaching offices and meeting rooms. The dome addition has a proposed skywalk connecting the 2 buildings. And yes, we practice in the dome which is a 100 yard field, not a mini 80 yard field. We have 2 outdoor synthetic turf practice fields. If you think a little practice time outdoors is such a bad thing, what do they players think about playing outdoors? [hint, dont recruit pussies]

so yes you will have a nicer stadium than your current high school field but don't kid yourself. It's not in the same league. :rofl:
And we're much closer to completing the SHAC than you are the football stadium. Bids are in and 35 million is raised! (track and field is already done)

The Fargodome is a great facility - I love watching FB games there. If I had a choice however, I would much rather watch a game in a quality outdoor stadium - even during bad weather. But SDSU having all three of those projects (football facility, indoor practice facility, and stadium) on campus and owned by SDSU (not leased or rented by the University) will be a big plus, as well. Even a Bison fan can admit that.

Obviously an indoor facility like the dome is going to be way more expensive to build than an outdoor stadium. But since we are comparing just dollar costs, would you say that your performance basketball facility (SHAC) will be of the same quality as our indoor practice facility, since they cost roughly the same amount? And when did I say anything about outdoor practices being bad? The indoor facility will be used for times of inclement weather and during the winter/early spring.

And I'm glad you get to practice in the Fargodome on a 100 yard field and not a "mini 80 yard field" - because most FB practices I've observed or been a part of use all 100 yards of field during practice so often.:facepalm:

Bison"FANatic"
10-04-2013, 04:26 PM

Wow Gabe I guess you really have changed your tune. I remember you freaking out on here about how we need a indoor practice facility and better facilities and how the dome isn't always able to be used and we are falling behind UND and others with new practice facilities. How our players had to practice outside in the cold getting ready for Montana state playoff game and blah blah blah.

It really isn't that bad to give SDSU credit for having a good plan to increase their facilities and executing it. It is actually ok for others to get nice shiny new toys without having to dog on them for it.

It's a good step for them but.... They still have to step up and fully fund the staff and still get recruits to want to come to Brookings. Even if they do all those things they still won't have the tradition and the Bison Pride that the coaches players and fans have. That is the intangible.

riceweb
10-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Renderings look nice, and there's plenty of room for expansion should it ever be needed. No matter what, this is good for the MVFC.

HerdBot
10-04-2013, 04:32 PM
The Fargodome is a great facility - I love watching FB games there. If I had a choice however, I would much rather watch a game in an outdoor stadium - even during bad weather. But SDSU having all three of those projects (football facility, indoor practice facility, and stadium) on campus and owned by SDSU (not leased or rented by the University) will be a big plus, as well. Even a Bison fan can admit that.

Obviously an indoor facility like the dome is going to be way more expensive to build than an outdoor stadium. But since we are comparing just dollar costs, would you say that your performance basketball facility (SHAC) will be of the same quality as our indoor practice facility, since they cost roughly the same amount? And when did I say anything about outdoor practices being bad...the indoor facility will be used for times of inclement weather and during the winter/early spring.

And I'm glad you get to practice in the Fargodome on a 100 yard field and not a "mini 80 yard field" - because most FB practices I've observed or been a part of use all 100 yards of field during practice so often.:facepalm:

The Vikings don't own their new stadium. Neither do 90% of NFL teams because no owner can afford them. Does it really matter? Besides the coaching offices and meeting rooms are in the dome. The turf has our logos. The stadium is on NDSU property and campus... and the SHAC is a 1 minute walk across the street.

The SHAC will be as nice because it's a remodel and addition. You guys are starting from scratch. Many of the things your talking about already exist in the current facilities

Indoors vs outdoors. Personal preference I guess. I like outdoors but we spend 5 hours outdoors tailgating and we have a unique atmosphere that nobody can really touch.

Football practices use sometimes 3 fields. I bet ya won't be running a lot of corner routes unless you want to run into a brick wall. (kidding) We practice outdoors in the camp because the heat builds stamina. In camp they use all 3 fields. One for offense, defense, and special teams.

I'm not trying to knock your facilities. They will be WAY NICER than what you have and will close the gap but don't kid yourself. Our facilities are competing with MAC schools. And facilities aren't evrything. Youngstown has a facility that blows about much of the FBS and how are they doing? I am looking forward to watching a game in a real stadium instead of those bleachers. Would be nice having actual concessions.

jackrabbit1979
10-04-2013, 04:40 PM
The Vikings don't own their new stadium. Neither do 90% of NFL teams because no owner can afford them. Does it really matter?

Ask Gene Taylor if it matters when he writes the check to the City of Fargo for usage? Ask Craig Bohl if it matters when he can't practice in the dome because of a boat show in that space? Does it completely hinder the Bison program - no. But it is funds that could be directed elsewhere, and conflicts that could be avoided by owning the space.

And you realize that you are comparing NDSU's situation to NFL teams, right?

bisonaudit
10-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Neither do 90% of NFL teams because no owner can afford them.

It's not that they can't afford them. It's that they can get someone else to pay for them.

HerdBot
10-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Wow Gabe I guess you really have changed your tune. I remember you freaking out on here about how we need a indoor practice facility and better facilities and how the dome isn't always able to be used and we are falling behind UND and others with new practice facilities. How our players had to practice outside in the cold getting ready for Montana state playoff game and blah blah blah.

It really isn't that bad to give SDSU credit for having a good plan to increase their facilities and executing it. It is actually ok for others to get nice shiny new toys without having to dog on them for it.

It's a good step for them but.... They still have to step up and fully fund the staff and still get recruits to want to come to Brookings. Even if they do all those things they still won't have the tradition and the Bison Pride that the coaches players and fans have. That is the intangible.

Believe me I think an indoor practice facility would be nice but that's really the only advantage the other dakota schools have on us. But taking a step back has it really hurt us? Obviously not. (USD owns their dome so they already have an indoor practice facility)
The SHAC will take care of most of the things we are lacking. A world class weight room, player lounge, team store, hall of fame, new ticket office, etc. The entire complex will be incredibly nice tied in with the locker rooms, coaching offices, and meeting rooms at the dome.

I am giving them credit. I was just annoyed by the comment that SDSU will be at the top of the MVFC in football facilities. Not even close. They won't even pass Youngstown.
But like UND and their retractable roof stadium, it's all just talk until it's built. (and the shac is basically ready to go anyway)
I do think they want to build it and honestly I hope they do it. GOod stadiums help the conference.

But we could go out and put together plans for a billion dollar stadium too. Means nothing until the money is there.

The fact is we only need an indoor practice facility probably 3-4 weeks per year. I think we should put a plan in place but it's not a pressuring urgent need. Some day it will be the cherry on top. Cheaper temp fix is a bubble.

HerdBot
10-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Ask Gene Taylor if it matters when he writes the check to the City of Fargo for usage? Ask Craig Bohl if it matters when he can't practice in the dome because of a boat show in that space? Does it completely hinder the Bison program - no. But it is funds that could be directed elsewhere, and conflicts that could be avoided by owning the space.

And you realize that you are comparing NDSU's situation to NFL teams, right?

Despite paying the city, we have plenty of money left over. You fail to recognize that the dome allows us to GAIN revenue and have more season ticket holders and teammakers. That's where the money is at. It draws better in the playoffs too. That's why we moved indoors from an outdoor stadium we owned. It's a great deal. Go to a game and you will realize why.

Practice? We have 2 synthetic turf fields (1 with lights) and 2 grass fields. No issues with that. Yeah once in a while there will be conflicts, but it's not some regular occurrence. Some day we will have an indoor practice field to use when the dome is booked or at the very least a bubble to put over the outdoor turf.

I think we're doing just fine. That's why we have 2 rings. Are you saying with an indoor practice field we would have more? Maybe?

Tatanka
10-04-2013, 05:54 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyy9g5BN5W1r4ghkoo1_400.gif

Good for SDSU. I'm happy for them. The Bison will have much nicer accommodations in which to celebrate future victories. And for that, I am thankful.

wow
10-07-2013, 04:37 PM

I am no expert on these things, but by my count SDSU has raised:

6 million - Dykhouse (done)
30 million - Practice facility (construction ongoing, fundraising complete)
12.5 million (so far) - New stadium

Obviously, not all money is in hand. And there will be bonding involved in the new stadium. But it isn't like SDSU has borrowed it all either.

Why doesn't NDSU just use one of their giant piles of football money to renovate the BSA?

THEsocalledfan
10-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Obviously, not all money is in hand. And there will be bonding involved in the new stadium. But it isn't like SDSU has borrowed it all either.

Why doesn't NDSU just use one of their giant piles of football money to renovate the BSA?

I must tip my hat to SDSU on this.

Wow, that drawing on the east side looked pretty basic, and not very nice. I assume that was just a bad drawing? Why one one side be much worse than the other is what I am getting at.

imabison
10-07-2013, 06:04 PM

One thing comes to mind when they say Bonding the project....Montana State and their STRUGGLES to have funding to pay the bonds.
Good luck to the Jackrabbits...

wow
10-07-2013, 06:40 PM
I must tip my hat to SDSU on this.

Wow, that drawing on the east side looked pretty basic, and not very nice. I assume that was just a bad drawing? Why one one side be much worse than the other is what I am getting at.

Gotcha. I've seen around half a dozen drawings ranging from a fully enclosed (sans roof) brick structure to something that looks like it was done in MS paint. Are you talking about the Argus Leader picture? I guess it depends on the definition of "nice", but the east side looks like a permanent structure with room underneath for bathrooms/concessions. Supposedly 27 rows of seating (the west side has about 35-40 now I believe). It should be an improvement over the existing bleachers at any rate. :)

roadwarrior
10-07-2013, 06:41 PM
One thing comes to mind when they say Bonding the project....Montana State and their STRUGGLES to have funding to pay the bonds.

I remember hearing the USD AD on the radio once back in the 80s saying how the annual bond payment on the Dakotadome was a burden on the athletic department.

wow
10-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Which is why I think it will be interesting to see what happens in the state legislature. I could see them trying to muck it up somehow. I really hope it doesn't turn into a 15,000 seat aluminum structure.

I am not familiar with MSU's issues, but I do know that no matter the project, a person could almost always point to unsuccessful ventures from other places.

I trust our leadership to make smart decisions with their eyes wide open. I believe our AD was pretty involved with many of UNI's facilities improvements prior to coming to SDSU. SDSU's president is very fluent in economics and the financial world.

THEsocalledfan
10-08-2013, 01:55 AM
Gotcha. I've seen around half a dozen drawings ranging from a fully enclosed (sans roof) brick structure to something that looks like it was done in MS paint. Are you talking about the Argus Leader picture? I guess it depends on the definition of "nice", but the east side looks like a permanent structure with room underneath for bathrooms/concessions. Supposedly 27 rows of seating (the west side has about 35-40 now I believe). It should be an improvement over the existing bleachers at any rate. :)

I was thinking the argus picture. Still don't understand the idea of making one side nicer; why not have roughly equal sizes on each side with boxes in each. YOu get a fantastic facility, they are going to give NDSU a run for their money.

Tatanka
10-08-2013, 02:40 AM
I was thinking the argus picture. Still don't understand the idea of making one side nicer; why not have roughly equal sizes on each side with boxes in each. YOu get a fantastic facility, they are going to give NDSU a run for their money.

it's expandable... And I'm sure they will expand when/if the time is right. It's not a bad plan.

THEsocalledfan
10-08-2013, 01:36 PM
it's expandable... And I'm sure they will expand when/if the time is right. It's not a bad plan.

Sadly, this could help close the SD border and make Nebraska harder to recruit. It still remains to be seen if SDSU will ever begin to fully fund their coaching staff; I've heard the assistant salaries are still horrible.