PDA

View Full Version : I-AA National Championship

HuskerFan
10-28-2006, 03:44 PM
I think it sucks that NDSU can't compete for a NC until 2008. You guys are one of the top teams in I-AA. The NCAA should really reconsider this. You've already proven that you can compete, so why not give the Bison that chance to play for the title.

BisBison
10-28-2006, 03:53 PM
While I agree with you, we did know the rules going in. And I don't see the NCAA changing the rules just because of our good season so far. That being said it does suck, I'm thinking we'd go a long way in the playoffs this year. But we'll just have to wait untill '08 to find out.

No_Skill
10-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Big topic of discussion on this board. Almost on the level of talking about religion or politics.

TransAmBison
10-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Big topic of discussion on this board. *Almost on the level of talking about religion or politics.
To some, present company included, Bison football is religion.

Tatanka
10-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Big topic of discussion on this board. *Almost on the level of talking about religion or politics.
To some, present company included, Bison football is religion.
And there's the ever-present politics regarding teh university downstream.

CaBisonFan
10-28-2006, 04:33 PM
I think it sucks that NDSU can't compete for a NC until 2008. *You guys are one of the top teams in I-AA. *The NCAA should really reconsider this. *You've already proven that you can compete, so why not give the Bison that chance to play for the title.

I've never understood the "thinking" behind the 5-year wait. *Do you know why schools are "forced" to wait this long?

I say...if a school wants to compete...let them.

The ncaa, in its infinite wisdom, sure makes it difficult to make this move. First they destroy DII...then they make it as painful as possible to get out of the path of destruction.

broke_back_mnt
10-28-2006, 04:43 PM
"The idea" is to allow a school to become acclimated in the new division. *To learn and abide by all the new rules, to bring budgets into line, to work your way into the new divisions schedules and last but not least prove yourself to the membership of Division 1 at large. *At the end of all this transition all current members of D1 will vote on us.

It would be great if we finished ranked #1. *We would definitely claim a national title "by wire". *We already have 3 or 4 of them. *This would be the first since the playoffs started.

BisonBacker
10-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Big topic of discussion on this board. Almost on the level of talking about religion or politics.

God forbid you say something to offend the thought police you'll get banned ;D

Coach_W
10-28-2006, 05:16 PM
I think the real intent behind the rule is to prevent schools from coming into Div. I just to get their hands on the D-I money. Forcing schools to wait so many years shows they are committed to the move not just grabbing money.

TransAmBison
10-28-2006, 05:19 PM
I think the real intent behind the rule is to prevent schools from coming into *Div. I just to get their hands on the D-I money. *Forcing schools to wait so many years shows they are committed to the move not just grabbing money.
Bingo!

SDbison
10-28-2006, 05:23 PM
I think the real intent behind the rule is to prevent schools from coming into *Div. I just to get their hands on the D-I money. *Forcing schools to wait so many years shows they are committed to the move not just grabbing money.
Bingo!
There is no money to be made in DI-AA football playoffs.

SDbison
10-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Some of you defend the NCAA like it is your brother. *Even if NDSU was not highly rated the rules are excessively punitive and only hurt the student athletes and their teams that work hard to have a winning record. *If the NCAA had any wisdom they would just limit transitioning teams ability to take in the cash from, for instance, the NCAA Basketball tournament. *Having prerequisites for teams moving up would keep poorly prepared or inadequate universities from moving up. *Why the hell should a transitioning team that excells without the benefit of several years at full scholarships be kept out of the playoffs. *The answer is there is no justifiable reason. *Saying the transitioning team needs the time to get used to the system is illogical. *What the heck does that have to do with being in the playoffs. *The only reason the NCAA put the wait period penalty in place is they don't want the new kid on the block to show up and beat an established powerhouse. *Too embarassing?

TransAmBison
10-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Some of you defend the NCAA like it is your brother. *Even if NDSU was not highly rated the rules are excessively punitive and only hurt the student athletes and their teams that work hard to have a winning record. *If the NCAA had any wisdom they would just limit transitioning teams ability to take in the cash from, for instance, the NCAA Basketball tournament. *Having prerequisites for teams moving up would keep poorly prepared or inadequate universities from moving up. *Why the hell should a transitioning team that excells without the benefit of several years at full scholarships be kept out of the playoffs. *The answer is there is no justifiable reason. *Saying the transitioning team needs the time to get used to the system is illogical. *What the heck does that have to do with being in the playoffs. *The only reason the NCAA put the wait period penalty in place is they don't want the new kid on the block to show up and beat an established powerhouse. *Too embarassing?
Good points, but I don't think a team like the Bison come around every day. How many schools that move up enjoy the success that we do? If this happened more often, I think they would rethink their rules. How many schools go the Northern Colorado route? (Not punters stabbing punters thing, the just plain sucking thing) I think they just don't want a ton of moving up, oh wait we can't handle, we're moving back down again, okay, now we're ready...oops, guess not.

broke_back_mnt
10-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Academic eligability comes into play. Im not sure how our team stackes up, but a lot of D2 players aren eligable academically to play DI.

silkamilkamonico
10-28-2006, 06:05 PM
There is no "getting used to the system".

There is no money to be made in the playoffs for D1AA teams.

The NCAA has already explained numerous of times over the years that they do not want a watered down D1AA with so many teams that can't compete. The rule is placed to keep the different divisions and to give different kinds of athletes different kinds of oppurtunities.

The rule should no be changed, and anyone who argues differently is taking the appraoch that NDSU should be allowed to play for an NC because they are all of a sudden a likely legit playoff contender.