PDA

View Full Version : Annual: If I was a recruit thread

Mr. Burgundy
10-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Lets say you were the stud regional recruit and had your options. Your 4 local school options: USD, UND, SDSU, NDSU

USD: Solid coach, terrible facility, terrible town, no tradition, bottom feeder of the best conference in America (FCS). Vermillion is not good. They hosted us in Sioux Falls last year and we named our score. Taking leftovers at this point. They seem to get some talent, but no depth. Not a concern at this point.

UND: Rankings came out today and they are the worst in the Big Sky. They can't stop anyone. They have honestly become a laughing stock even among their own fans. Recruits literally cannot sign at UND right now because to a man they all want Mussman fired. He is going to be fired at the end of the year, and his entire staff will go with him. It is a tragic situation to a once proud program. They have no fanbase. Their gameday atmosphere is beyond sad. If you go to UND you are going to be a "not a hockey player" athlete. No tailgating, solid school, and if they are your only scholarship offer, you will sign there, just like the last two classes have done. They simply do not win recruiting battles and their inexperienced staff is killing them. They will promise "minutes" to recruits this year and go young, their program is at a historic low, and I thought that was several years ago when they lost to Sioux Falls Tech. Simply a terrible option right now. Zero current verbals in this class, and the prior class is on twitter complaining. it is a perfect storm for NDSU to land the in state kids again. If you read siouxsports.com, they have a million pages of "Fire Muss" and EVERYONE wants their staff gone. Even their biggest supporters. It is a sad state for a once proud program. They need to gut it and start over, this is not going to be a pretty class for "North Dakota."

SDSU: Solid program. Solid coach, underfunded staff. Lost in Brookings. It is too bad they aren't in Sioux Falls, as they really could be something. Terrible facilities that are getting better. They have a very positive beat writer that will make sure you get noticed when you sign with SDSU. No gameday atmosphere. Jealous of how loud NDSU fans are. No tailgating. High school field. Will land a kid or two over NDSU as they always do. They do less with more, just ask Terry. New facilities will help them in the future, but they only pack the house for good weather games or when NDSU comes.

NDSU: Program at an all time high. 10 National Championships. Been number 1 in the nation for as long as I can remember. 7-3 against FBS programs. Seniors haven't lost to the FBS programs, haven't lost on the road since Eastern Washington. ESPN made NDSU the media darling when they hosted gameday in Downtown Fargo. Exposure at an all time high. The Fargodome is the best facility in FCS (sorry Montana fans), it is sold out months before the season starts with a rumored 7,000 seat waiting list for season tickets. Correct, you heard me. Tailgating has exploded and Fargo is the best "city" of the 4 schools mentioned, which isn't even arguable. The Coach is the National Coach of the year. Loading up on another great recruiting class already. Large group of seniors leaving (24) meaning a large group of kids coming into the program at an all time high. Again, the perfect recruiting storm. I would say the rich get richer.

Feel free to agree. Thanks

SDbison
10-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Lets say you were the stud regional recruit and had your options. Your 4 local school options: USD, UND, SDSU, NDSU You could throw in some regional FBS teams into that mix now and a recruit might need to seriously lean towards NDSU football. Media darlings at the moment.

tcbison
10-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Does this stud recruit like to go fishing on his first date? :)

bisonmike2
10-01-2013, 07:39 PM
I"m sorry but I have to do this. You can just start a thread with "If I was..." because it is mandatory that I comment with the following.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/A939QRRSNV4/maxresdefault.jpg
I'll tell you what I would do man...

Bison03
10-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Was listening to an interview on Jack Michael's show with Carlton Littlejohn. Carlton is from Minneapolis and I am sure he had talks with the goofs and maybe other bigger programs. He said he came to NDSU because of the history of the program and their tradition of winning championships. Then you look at coach Kill's comments on one of their stud offensive lineman saying that they usually lose guys like that to NDSU. I think right now we not only have the recruiting advantage over ever school in ND and SD, but are getting looks from kids in Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, ect., that we would never have had a chance at getting. Now they are looking at NDSU. Bohl even thinks so. I remember hearing him say they had a couple guys up the weekend with Gameday here that would never have come to campus 5 years ago.

tjbison
10-01-2013, 07:48 PM
UND no doubt, I mean were else can you play D1 football and towel whip each other during the game on the sideline?

I mean what nice relaxed career, I get to shovel the practice field in the snow deliver the season tickets, don't have to worry about a mascot, play in California so my parents and family won't be at the game so that pressure is off!

come on the choice is easy,

Bison 4 Life
10-01-2013, 10:15 PM
I tell ya what. If they could throw in the waitress we had at Cubby's as a "hostess" I might pick SDSU!

Herd890
10-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Great post and 100% accurate Burgundy. Does anyone know what our Team Makers revenue is compared to the other 3 schools? Not sure how we would compare to UN_ with hockey...assume we blow SDSU out of the water. USD's booster support is probably coupons for the Vermilion Pizza Hut!

tjbison
10-02-2013, 12:04 AM
USD's booster support is probably coupons for the Vermilion Pizza Hut!

no no no, it's for the Sioux Falls store, they are embarrassed of Vermillion

HerdBot
10-02-2013, 12:06 AM
Ease of airline travel is better to and from Fargo. (Yeah web actually have an airport)

TV Exposure is better than about half the FBS schools and is the best in the country for D1 FCS. Every game is statewide HD and simulcast on either ESPN3, Fox College Sports, and its double simulcast a few weeks being in Fox Sports North Plus. Heck our radio network spans from eastern Montana to northern South Dakota all the way down the interstate to Minneapolis. And of course its also streamed free o. A mobile app

Weather is the same. Shitty in all of these towns.

Our turf and practice turf is better on the body. Sdsu practices on frozen uneven grass. And by the time those other teams indoor practice facilities are built, you will be graduated and have a job. Besides we practice in the dome a majority of the time

Our medical staff and strength and conditioning is the best

Were a real team with real fans and coaches that won national championships at Nebraska. Professional coaches. The best of the best. We pay our coaches and they stay

A1pigskin
10-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Maybe Lennon will go back to UND?

TILIS-BisonFan
10-02-2013, 12:16 AM
If somehow my lazy ass was a recruit I'd go to UN_ and start at D-back, find a hockey player hating dime piece and not owe anything on my student loans. And no one would ever see on TV how awful of a footbal player I am.

taper
10-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Depends on what I'm looking for. Decent to good player recruited now by NDSU might play 1 or 2 seasons. Could be a 3-4 year starter at the others. We're by no means a lock for titles during his time. I'd look very carefully at the recent rapid rise of SDSU's program, could think they're up next. USD is the 3rd option, probably look elsewhere before signing. UND isn't even considered in its current state.

MNLonghorn10
10-02-2013, 12:40 AM
7000 seat waiting list?? Wow.

AjaxTheMighty
10-02-2013, 01:48 AM
Lets say you were the stud regional recruit and had your options. Your 4 local school options: USD, UND, SDSU, NDSU

USD: Solid coach, terrible facility, terrible town, no tradition, bottom feeder of the best conference in America (FCS). Vermillion is not good. They hosted us in Sioux Falls last year and we named our score. Taking leftovers at this point. They seem to get some talent, but no depth. Not a concern at this point.

UND: Rankings came out today and they are the worst in the Big Sky. They can't stop anyone. They have honestly become a laughing stock even among their own fans. Recruits literally cannot sign at UND right now because to a man they all want Mussman fired. He is going to be fired at the end of the year, and his entire staff will go with him. It is a tragic situation to a once proud program. They have no fanbase. Their gameday atmosphere is beyond sad. If you go to UND you are going to be a "not a hockey player" athlete. No tailgating, solid school, and if they are your only scholarship offer, you will sign there, just like the last two classes have done. They simply do not win recruiting battles and their inexperienced staff is killing them. They will promise "minutes" to recruits this year and go young, their program is at a historic low, and I thought that was several years ago when they lost to Sioux Falls Tech. Simply a terrible option right now. Zero current verbals in this class, and the prior class is on twitter complaining. it is a perfect storm for NDSU to land the in state kids again. If you read siouxsports.com, they have a million pages of "Fire Muss" and EVERYONE wants their staff gone. Even their biggest supporters. It is a sad state for a once proud program. They need to gut it and start over, this is not going to be a pretty class for "North Dakota."

SDSU: Solid program. Solid coach, underfunded staff. Lost in Brookings. It is too bad they aren't in Sioux Falls, as they really could be something. Terrible facilities that are getting better. They have a very positive beat writer that will make sure you get noticed when you sign with SDSU. No gameday atmosphere. Jealous of how loud NDSU fans are. No tailgating. High school field. Will land a kid or two over NDSU as they always do. They do less with more, just ask Terry. New facilities will help them in the future, but they only pack the house for good weather games or when NDSU comes.

NDSU: Program at an all time high. 10 National Championships. Been number 1 in the nation for as long as I can remember. 7-3 against FBS programs. Seniors haven't lost to the FBS programs, haven't lost on the road since Eastern Washington. ESPN made NDSU the media darling when they hosted gameday in Downtown Fargo. Exposure at an all time high. The Fargodome is the best facility in FCS (sorry Montana fans), it is sold out months before the season starts with a rumored 7,000 seat waiting list for season tickets. Correct, you heard me. Tailgating has exploded and Fargo is the best "city" of the 4 schools mentioned, which isn't even arguable. The Coach is the National Coach of the year. Loading up on another great recruiting class already. Large group of seniors leaving (24) meaning a large group of kids coming into the program at an all time high. Again, the perfect recruiting storm. I would say the rich get richer.

I saw on the BSC standings the PF and PA. As amazing as UN_'s PA total is through 4 games (163), Weber State has given up a massive 254 points through 5 games, if ESPN is accurate! Wow!

HoopsBison
10-02-2013, 01:55 AM
I agree, well said!

Tatanka
10-02-2013, 01:56 AM
I saw on the BSC standings the PF and PA. As amazing as UN_'s PA total is through 4 games (163), Weber State has given up a massive 254 points through 5 games, if ESPN is accurate! Wow!

Weber state didn't have the luxury of playing valpo.

Mayville Bison
10-02-2013, 01:58 AM
Weber state didn't have the luxury of playing valpo.

or UN_ for that matter

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

HandoEX
10-02-2013, 02:01 AM
How many schools within 500 miles of Fargo would be favored against the Bison? Yeah, zero.

Ok, maaaaaybe Nebraska.

TateMosersneighbor
10-02-2013, 02:06 AM
I would go to Ellendale and dominate.

stevdock
10-02-2013, 02:09 AM
Depends on what I'm looking for. Decent to good player recruited now by NDSU might play 1 or 2 seasons. Could be a 3-4 year starter at the others. We're by no means a lock for titles during his time. I'd look very carefully at the recent rapid rise of SDSU's program, could think they're up next. USD is the 3rd option, probably look elsewhere before signing. UND isn't even considered in its current state.

I agree on the whole playing time issue. I honestly think we may start missing on some recruits who would normally come to NDSU, but instead want to play early instead of sitting behind a stud. Who would honestly want to come to NDSU to sit behind any of these seniors who have been starting since they were freshman?

56BISON73
10-02-2013, 02:17 AM
I agree on the whole playing time issue. I honestly think we may start missing on some recruits who would normally come to NDSU, but instead want to play early instead of sitting behind a stud. Who would honestly want to come to NDSU to sit behind any of these seniors who have been starting since they were freshman?

Those scenarios have been in play for a long time. But we rotate a lot of players during the game so it all depends on what position. Plus they will be in the same situation pretty much where ever you go these days. If a coach tells them that they guarantee playing time as a freshman they are lying.

MNLonghorn10
10-02-2013, 02:19 AM
How many schools within 500 miles of Fargo would be favored against the Bison? Yeah, zero.

Ok, maaaaaybe Nebraska.

Mayville, Bemidji St, Duluth & Augustana

reformedUNDfan
10-02-2013, 02:37 AM

Ok, maaaaaybe Nebraska.

wisconsin is like 505 miles. I'd favor them in madison.

HerdBot
10-02-2013, 02:40 AM

Our senior class is chock full of 4 year starters or heavy contributers. We rotate 6-7 on the dline, need 4 corners, lacked linebacker depth, and have 2 thousand yard rushers.

SDbison
10-02-2013, 03:22 AM
I want to know if the 7000 seat waiting list for season tickets is legit. If so that means NDSU could have 12K + 7K + 4K + 2K at each game right now. That is 25,000 total. When is something going to be done to start looking at options for expansion of dome or a new football stadium? Naysayers will whine about the BSA or talk of tough years ahead, but neither are relevent. Build it and Bison fans will come.

NDSUstudent
10-02-2013, 03:26 AM
Students that want tickets are also being left out so you could argue the waiting list is bigger than 7k.

56BISON73
10-02-2013, 03:39 AM
I want to know if the 7000 seat waiting list for season tickets is legit. If so that means NDSU could have 12K + 7K + 4K + 2K at each game right now. That is 25,000 total. When is something going to be done to start looking at options for expansion of dome or a new football stadium? Naysayers will whine about the BSA or talk of tough years ahead, but neither are relevent. Build it and Bison fans will come.

They know it would be cheaper to tear it down and build a new stadium to get the required ROI. From an engineering stand point of course you could expand the dome but the cost would be prohibitive.

HerdBot
10-02-2013, 03:47 AM

I would imagine the 7,000 people on a waiting list bought a majority of the single game tickets but of course we only had a few thousand of those per game anyway plus standing room

With students having a waiting list of a couple thousand, we could draw 25k regularly and for big games like UNI we could probably push to 30k. Heck UNI would have bought an extra 1000 tickets for this one!

reformedUNDfan
10-02-2013, 03:50 AM
if they were seniors or juniors, it would be great. Outstanding guys to learn from and you'll have a chance to compete after a RS year. I'd hate to be the guys right behind them, as our attrition rate shows for 2011.

heffray
10-02-2013, 04:09 AM

People will come, Ray...

heffray
10-02-2013, 04:21 AM

...UND: Rankings came out today and they are the worst in the Big Sky. They can't stop anyone. They have honestly become a laughing stock even among their own fans. Recruits literally cannot sign at UND right now because to a man they all want Mussman fired. He is going to be fired at the end of the year, and his entire staff will go with him. It is a great thing to behold. They have no fanbase. Their gameday atmosphere is beyond sad. If you go to UND you are going to be a "not a hockey player" athlete. No tailgating, solid school, and if they are your only scholarship offer, you will sign there, just like the last two classes have done. They simply do not win recruiting battles and their inexperienced staff is killing them. They will promise "minutes" to recruits this year and go young, their program is at a historic low, and I thought that was several years ago when they lost to Sioux Falls Tech. Simply a terrible option right now. Zero current verbals in this class, and the prior class is on twitter complaining. it is a perfect storm for NDSU to land the in state kids again. If you read siouxsports.com, they have a million pages of "Fire Muss" and EVERYONE wants their staff gone. Even their biggest supporters. It is so great to see. They need to gut it and start over, this is not going to be a pretty class for "North Dakota."

FIFY... You're welcome.

344Johnson
10-02-2013, 05:53 AM
Students that want tickets are also being left out so you could argue the waiting list is bigger than 7k.

Right now...any student who truly wants a ticket gets one. When the Herd is good, I think we could get an extra thousand or so....with exception to homecoming...

CAS4127
10-02-2013, 02:38 PM

One thing we can truthfully tell recruits is that if you are the best player at your position, you will play. That has always been the case at NDSU. For a relatively recent example, Heagle started as a true freshmen, and I am sure there are other recent examples as well. Given this, and considering the athletes we recruit, my guess is they accept the challenge and come here regardless of depth. Those are the kind of kids we want, as opposed to those who don't think they are good enough to compete here. The "Bring on the competition" saying is not just referencing other teams, nor is the weight room slogan "Your competition got stronger today, did you?"

Mr. Burgundy
10-02-2013, 03:25 PM
CAS makes a great point, which has also really helped out Walk On Program (PWO). Guys like Haeg only solidify what coaches are willing to do. If you can play, you will play. Look at PGT, he is good enough, he is seeing the field early.

mnriverbison
10-02-2013, 05:44 PM
If a kid cares only or even mostly about football there is no choice.

I'd be cautious about building a stadium for our peak ticket demand though. Every program in the country has peaks and valleys to some degree.

SDbison
10-02-2013, 07:18 PM
If a kid cares only or even mostly about football there is no choice.

I'd be cautious about building a stadium for our peak ticket demand though. Every program in the country has peaks and valleys to some degree.
Well a stadium is not right sized if it sells out every game and there is nothing wrong with 10% or less empty seats now and then. The Fargodome is definitely undersized for the popularity of Bison football in this area. Only a few years in 50 will NDSU have low attendance. NDSU needs to do a study to determine how big to increase or re-build, cost comparisons, future expandability, timeline to complete, etc. Nothing wrong with doing that now if demand is 7000 over current capacity of 19,000. That is ridiculous.

56BISON73
10-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Well a stadium is not right sized if it sells out every game and there is nothing wrong with 10% or less empty seats now and then. The Fargodome is definitely undersized for the popularity of Bison football in this area. Only a few years in 50 will NDSU have low attendance. NDSU needs to do a study to determine how big to increase or re-build, cost comparisons, future expandability, timeline to complete, etc. Nothing wrong with doing that now if demand is 7000 over current capacity of 19,000. That is ridiculous.

You seriously think they dont know these facts?

CaBisonFan
10-02-2013, 07:51 PM
People will come, Ray...

...this...

MarkyMark
10-02-2013, 07:55 PM
You seriously think they dont know these facts?

You have to get a study done by a 3rd party to prove there is a need for expansion or a new facility.

I am hoping NDSU starts the conversation about new or expanded football facilities once the BSA renovation is completed.

CaBisonFan
10-02-2013, 08:00 PM
You have to get a study done by a 3rd party to prove there is a need for expansion or a new facility.

I am hoping NDSU starts the conversation about new or expanded football facilities once the BSA renovation is completed.

What's the status of the BSA renovation?

This comment isn't directed at you MarkyMark. Football needs to move forward with facility discussions. Waiting for BB to get its act together?

56BISON73
10-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Why do they need a 3rd party when they already have all of the facts and figures?

MarkyMark
10-02-2013, 08:12 PM
What's the status of the BSA renovation?

This comment isn't directed at you MarkyMark. Football needs to move forward with facility discussions. Waiting for BB to get its act together?

All the bids are in, NDSU is figuring out if the bids are low enough to get approval from the State.

MarkyMark
10-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Why do they need a 3rd party when they already have all of the facts and figures?

I don't disagree with you, but that's how its done.

By the way, the demand is higher than the waiting list. Our group would like more seats but we didn't make a request because no seats are available. How many other people would like to buy Bison football season tickets but don't bother because they know you can't get them?

56BISON73
10-02-2013, 08:25 PM
I don't disagree with you, but that's how its done.

By the way, the demand is higher than the waiting list. Our group would like more seats but we didn't make a request because no seats are available. How many other people would like to buy Bison football season tickets but don't bother because they know you can't get them?

You mean to make it official so there can be a Public discussion so the Public knows they are discussing it even though there have been discussions but they arent official because a 3rd party wasnt involved and it wasnt discussed publicly. Is that what you are saying?

runtheoption
10-02-2013, 08:26 PM
By the way, the demand is higher than the waiting list. Our group would like more seats but we didn't make a request because no seats are available. How many other people would like to buy Bison football season tickets but don't bother because they know you can't get them? This is my situation. I would gladly take 10-15 more if they were available, and don't bother with the waiting list.

MarkyMark
10-02-2013, 08:32 PM
You mean to make it official so there can be a Public discussion so the Public knows they are discussing it even though there have been discussions but they arent official because a 3rd party wasnt involved and it wasnt discussed publicly. Is that what you are saying?

Yes, I think that's what I am saying.

56BISON73
10-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Yes, I think that's what I am saying.

Thats what I thought. Glad we got that cleared up.:biggrin:

MarkyMark
10-02-2013, 08:34 PM
This is my situation. I would gladly take 10-15 more if they were available, and don't bother with the waiting list.

There are also a lot of fans that used to buy single game tickets that are now shut out.

Trumpster
10-02-2013, 08:36 PM
There are also a lot of fans that used to buy single game tickets that are now shut out.

But how many people on the waiting list for season tickets were the people who either got the single game tickets or are among those shut out? I didn't get in on the season tickets yet I got tickets for all the games on August 1st.

56BISON73
10-02-2013, 08:36 PM

This scenario is not uncommon when a school-team is doing well.

runtheoption
10-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Glad we got that cleared up.:biggrin:

TWSS??

I don't know if this is true, but it seems like boosters/fans would contribute directly to expanding the Dome or a new stadium more so than the renovation of the BSA. It is just the sense I get from us being such a football-centric institution. Hell, football is an (the??) institution at NDSU. Basketball is getting close to having that...and if we can get to the Dance every other year, things would really take off. There is also the chicken-egg argument with sports, fans and success, so it can rather circular, redundant, repetitive, circular, and repetitive.

CAS4127
10-02-2013, 08:48 PM
TWSS??

I don't know if this is true, but it seems like boosters/fans would contribute directly to expanding the Dome or a new stadium more so than the renovation of the BSA. It is just the sense I get from us being such a football-centric institution. Hell, football is an (the??) institution at NDSU. Basketball is getting close to having that...and if we can get to the Dance every other year, things would really take off. There is also the chicken-egg argument with sports, fans and success, so it can rather circular, redundant, repetitive, circular, and repetitive.

Here's your shirt:
http://skreened.com/render-product/n/s/c/nscwokwegoivibbytmqh/department-of-redundancy-department.american-apparel-unisex-fitted-tee.slate.w760h760.jpg

SDbison
10-02-2013, 08:52 PM
This scenario is not uncommon when a school-team is doing well. Well some schools already have 70, 80, 90, 100 plus thousand capacity stadiums so expansion is not practical due to reduced fan experience (too far from field). A 19,000 stadium has all sorts of opportunity to expand without diminishing a fans experience. Just sayin!
I really don't think NDSU ever goes below 17,000 attendance again. Even for the worst game in a really bad year. So do the planners plan for the worst scenario that rarely if ever happens? A 25,000 seat stadium would be packed for 3 of 6 home games and any playoff games. Sure there might be a stinker 19,000, and some 21,000 or 23,000 attendance games, but so what? The extra attendance for most games would bring in more revenue.

reformedUNDfan
10-02-2013, 08:58 PM
if it is to be an indoor facility, it shouldn't be any smaller than 35k, or it should be designed so that it can easily be expanded.

MarkyMark
10-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Back to Recruiting Choices.

I believe Bohl and his staff develop players to their full potential. Those that are not interested in meeting their full potential have left. I heard Bohl say "We squeezed the most we could out of every player to get this win" after the MN victory. That sums up the whole program. He talks about how the players are all family and how everyone is equally important. I think Bison players feel they are all contributing to Bison success whether they are on the scout team, special teams or seniors playing backup roles on the 2-Deep. If you want to reach your full potential as a college football player come to NDSU.

SDbison
10-02-2013, 09:03 PM
if it is to be an indoor facility, it shouldn't be any smaller than 35k, or it should be designed so that it can easily be expanded. Assuming another indoor stadium maybe they design it for 26,000 to begin with and build in expansion potential to 33,000 or 40,000 for later.

CaBisonFan
10-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Assuming another indoor stadium maybe they design it for 26,000 to begin with and build in expansion potential to 33,000 or 40,000 for later.

...agreed...

AjaxTheMighty
10-02-2013, 10:20 PM
I know this is Bisonville and we love to blow smoke as die hards, (not to be confused with smoke die as blow hards!) but I was chatting with a friend about this stadium thing and since the dome has a cap of 19,000 that sort of limits growth of Bison football to some extent. That sucks. I think everyone should be able to come see North Dakota's premier sports team. I hope conversations are coming up about growing the brand in the form of a new stadium. Or at least some kind of dome renovation, if that is even possible. Seems like 25,000 to 30,000 would be a good number.

56BISON73
10-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Well some schools already have 70, 80, 90, 100 plus thousand capacity stadiums so expansion is not practical due to reduced fan experience (too far from field). A 19,000 stadium has all sorts of opportunity to expand without diminishing a fans experience. Just sayin!
I really don't think NDSU ever goes below 17,000 attendance again. Even for the worst game in a really bad year. So do the planners plan for the worst scenario that rarely if ever happens? A 25,000 seat stadium would be packed for 3 of 6 home games and any playoff games. Sure there might be a stinker 19,000, and some 21,000 or 23,000 attendance games, but so what? The extra attendance for most games would bring in more revenue.

I dont think the "too far from field" is a great concern in adding seats. People will sit anywhere if the team is on a roll. Its more of the ROI in adding those seats. Some stadiums its easy, some it takes a lot of engineering and costs. They have to figure in worst case and best case scenarios. To say the Bison wont experience another down period just isnt realistic. I remember some on this board proclaiming LSU, TX etc the best ever and they would stay that way. What have they done the last couple of years? Plus there are many other programs as well that could be used for examples. Right now NDSU is riding a wave of popularity. Just a few short years ago acquiring tickets wasnt an issue. Even now they can still be found. But as Ive said---you dont build a church for Easter Sunday. I also dont think you hurry up and build a new stadium just because demand is high now. Many of the current fans are new to the party. How many will stick around when we arent in the hunt for a natty or conf championship? Who is our REAL fan base.
You can bet that NDSU has gathered and is gathering all of the information needed looking to the future.

gumby013
10-02-2013, 11:45 PM
I dont think the "too far from field" is a great concern in adding seats. People will sit anywhere if the team is on a roll. Its more of the ROI in adding those seats. Some stadiums its easy, some it takes a lot of engineering and costs. They have to figure in worst case and best case scenarios. To say the Bison wont experience another down period just isnt realistic. I remember some on this board proclaiming LSU, TX etc the best ever and they would stay that way. What have they done the last couple of years? Plus there are many other programs as well that could be used for examples. Right now NDSU is riding a wave of popularity. Just a few short years ago acquiring tickets wasnt an issue. Even now they can still be found. But as Ive said---you dont build a church for Easter Sunday. I also dont think you hurry up and build a new stadium just because demand is high now. Many of the current fans are new to the party. How many will stick around when we arent in the hunt for a natty or conf championship? Who is our REAL fan base.
You can bet that NDSU has gathered and is gathering all of the information needed looking to the future.

You are correct, too far from the field isn't an issue. I think people forget how close the dome stands are compared to most other stadiums. A lot of FCS stadiums have tracks around them...and most others have a large buffer. I was at Lehigh last week with 50 yard line seats, and there was about 20 extra yards of sideline buffer compared to the setup at the Fargodome. Also, once you get up high, it become very difficult to tell how far you are from the field of play.

IBleedYellow
10-03-2013, 02:54 AM
My thoughts: The way the world's population is growing Fargo is bound to outgrow the Dome even faster every year add long as we are successful.

I've read a few times about ESPN making us their new "project" maybe that would help us get a push going for a 35-40,000 seat stadium. I'd love to have a place about that size. I truly believe we'd be on the way towards filling out 30k and 35k+ would only be a matter of time.

Moto X

SDbison
10-03-2013, 03:20 AM
You are correct, too far from the field isn't an issue. I think people forget how close the dome stands are compared to most other stadiums. A lot of FCS stadiums have tracks around them...and most others have a large buffer. I was at Lehigh last week with 50 yard line seats, and there was about 20 extra yards of sideline buffer compared to the setup at the Fargodome. Also, once you get up high, it become very difficult to tell how far you are from the field of play. You guys missed it.......I was comparing the ability to add more seats to stadiums that already push 100,000 compared to what should be an easy add to a 19,000 seat stadium.......I know, I know the Fargodome is not expandable and we are likely stuck at 19,000 until someone in Fargo has the balls to propose something bigger. Sorry PL but 19,000 is small compared to the current NDSU base and where it is going. Completely stupid to be content where its at for even 5 more years, because we all know it will take 5 years for fundraising and planning and another 5 years to get built. So sitting and waiting now means 15 years until its done. Even if actions were underway today it would be 10 years until a new stadium gets built. Back to my original post.......100,000 seat stadiums usually don't add on because fans end up sitting way too far away.........that is not a problem adding or moving to a 30,000 seat stadium from a 19,000 seat stadium. Just don't understand the doubt about the fan support........would it decrease if some rough times came up........yep a little, but then it would skyrocket to new higher level during the next successful run. Letting the dome be the limiter for decades to come is just ridiculous. Rant done!

SDbison
10-03-2013, 03:24 AM
My thoughts: The way the world's population is growing Fargo is bound to outgrow the Dome even faster every year add long as we are successful.

I've read a few times about ESPN making us their new "project" maybe that would help us get a push going for a 35-40,000 seat stadium. I'd love to have a place about that size. I truly believe we'd be on the way towards filling out 30k and 35k+ would only be a matter of time.

Moto X Yes! This is what I am talking about. Think about building bigger an better! Growth is good!

tjbison
10-03-2013, 03:27 AM
Yes! This is what I am talking about. Think about building bigger an better! Growth is good!

damn right growth is good, but we need to maintain for right now.

if NDSU keeps doing what we are donors will step up and want a piece of the pie.....I hope we keep progressive thinking admin in place

56BISON73
10-03-2013, 03:40 AM
damn right growth is good, but we need to maintain for right now.

if NDSU keeps doing what we are donors will step up and want a piece of the pie.....I hope we keep progressive thinking admin in place

I dont think any building projects are going to be moving forward until the college football land scape shakes out and there is some direction to where its heading.
I can also see a ticket price increase for some selective seating.

tjbison
10-03-2013, 03:44 AM
I dont think any building projects are going to be moving forward until the college football land scape shakes out and there is some direction to where its heading.

I agree, let's see what happens after next year, because we lose a lot, we won't suck but let's see what the bandwagon fans do. if we can drop a few games a year be in the playoffs and stay with the demand perfect

I'm not saying we will drop games but we all need to be realistic that this year is special, and we have great young guys coming in. I doubt we will be 3-8 again at least for some time

56BISON73
10-03-2013, 03:47 AM
I agree, let's see what happens after next year, because we lose a lot, we won't suck but let's see what the bandwagon fans do. if we can drop a few games a year be in the playoffs and stay with the demand perfect

Yep. Long term consistent demand.

HazenBizon
10-03-2013, 03:47 AM

Another restriction is the "cash to build" rule with the legislature. There is no way the donors come up with $30+ million for an expansion or $150+ million for a new stadium before a shovel breaks the dirt. If the law was different, the SHAC would be done by now.

56BISON73
10-03-2013, 03:48 AM
Another restriction is the "cash to build" rule with the legislature. There is no way the donors come up with $30+ million for an expansion or $150+ million for a new stadium before a shovel breaks the dirt. If the law was different, the SHAC would be done by now.

Thanks for bringing that up. Forgot all about that pot hole in the road.

tjbison
10-03-2013, 03:52 AM

good point, I wasn't ever sure this was true or not

sucks our state refuses to help out the universities instead of buck growth

tjbison
10-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Thanks for bringing that up. Forgot all about that pot hole in the road.

it's more like a ditch......SOB for a stupid law

MontBison
10-03-2013, 04:01 AM
it's more like a sink hole......SOB for a stupid law

fify

10 rings

NDSUstudent
10-03-2013, 04:22 AM
People building a new stadium will require a fundamental change from our fanbase and that change would be embracing outdoor football. Even then we would have obstacles to overcome, the legislature would have to soften their stance on bonding.

56BISON73
10-03-2013, 04:27 AM
People building a new stadium will require a fundamental change from our fanbase and that change would be embracing outdoor football. Even then we would have obstacles to overcome, the legislature would have to soften their stance on bonding.

Why would it have to be outdoor football? I love outdoor football so I am just asking.

NDSUstudent
10-03-2013, 04:36 AM
Why would it have to be outdoor football? I love outdoor football so I am just asking.

Mainly cost. If NDSU wants a new stadium...it will be NDSU paying for the new stadium. An outdoor stadium is going to be significantly cheaper and it will be significantly cheaper to expand down the road.

It has been a struggle to raise $35 million for the BSA...just think about raising $200-250 million for a dome.

heffray
10-03-2013, 04:44 AM
Mainly cost. If NDSU wants a new stadium...it will be NDSU paying for the new stadium. An outdoor stadium is going to be significantly cheaper and it will be significantly cheaper to expand down the road.

It has been a struggle to raise $35 million for the BSA...just think about raising $200-250 million for a dome.

Significantly colder...

56BISON73
10-03-2013, 04:47 AM
Significantly colder...

Retractable roof.:biggrin:

IBleedYellow
10-03-2013, 05:13 AM
I seriously wish we could just use state funds... I would even back building UND shit if it would get us a new stadium.

The oil money right now is pulling in 5 MILLION A DAY just for the state government. That's not including the mineral right payouts or what the oil companies themselves are making...
5 million a day would make a great stadium fast.

Moto X

SamsRams
10-03-2013, 05:31 AM

apples to oranges IMO. I m not saying it will be easy, but if there is a real reason to build a new stadium (Big 12 invite) it will be built. Basketball is not king in Fargo and it shows in the delay on the BSA

Rynomite
10-03-2013, 05:32 AM
I"m sorry but I have to do this. You can just start a thread with "If I was..." because it is mandatory that I comment with the following.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/A939QRRSNV4/maxresdefault.jpg
I'll tell you what I would do man...

I love this

1998braves64
10-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Had a conversation with a guy (UN_ fan too by the way!!) His thinking was NDSU could finance a new stadium by finding some oil company to sell naming rights to that wants to increase their exposure. Don't think NDSU could get as much as NFL obviously.. But could definitely get a fair amount, if we're at point we are building a new stadium my guess would be we would be in FBS or planning definitely to move up. So maybe if we become ESPN's next move up darling we could leverage this exposure to get a good chunk of change?
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Herd12
10-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Had a conversation with a guy (UN_ fan too by the way!!) His thinking was NDSU could finance a new stadium by finding some oil company to sell naming rights to that wants to increase their exposure. Don't think NDSU could get as much as NFL obviously.. But could definitely get a fair amount, if we're at point we are building a new stadium my guess would be we would be in FBS or planning definitely to move up. So maybe if we become ESPN's next move up darling we could leverage this exposure to get a good chunk of change?

That's a hell of an idea. What a great opportunity for one of the oil companies out west to completely turn around their dirty image as well. It might still be the wild west but if your company name is the reason that the pride of the state was able to get a new football stadium, the company is going to get instant street cred. The problem I think you might have is that it would be difficult to monetize the marketing advantage that the oil company would get, as their business isn't really directly with consumers. Being the face of the Bison stadium isn't as advantageous as it would be for a bank, or Pepsi/Coke, Target etc.

BisonNeil
10-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Great idea. Only one problem. The oil companies out west, including THE oil company, don't give a shit about ND, much less NDSU. Now, if NDSU had had the forethought that UN_ had to establish a petroleum engineering department, then we might have had a chance. In other words, UN_ has a much better opportunity to get major $ than NDSU.

1998braves64
10-04-2013, 03:58 AM
Never say never.. Guessing UN_ got the petroleum engineering is because of EERC too so it goes back to when they got that. Man we have some of the most pessimistic people here. It could very well not happen I get that but we can't ignore it these oil companies are investing millions and millions in our state. They are setting up somewhat for the long haul, many are building office facilities and housing for their employees here. Sure nobody has sent their main corporate office here, but from all indications conservatively speaking they will be pumping oil for 50 years that doesn't include future finds for other formations. And they have just barely started tapping the three forks.

reformedUNDfan
10-04-2013, 04:43 AM
I would hope NDSU could get a less sketchy sponsor than an oil company.

anyway my program at the UN_ overlaps heavily with PE. Last I checked its still years away from being accredited and I'm not even sure if it's produced a graduate yet.

Hammersmith
10-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Speaking of sponsors, Gate City Bank just became an official partner/friend-of-the-university/whatever. They added a GCB flag to the group off 12th Ave. They join Sanford and Microsoft as partners/whatever*.

*I forgot the exact name of the program

EndZoneQB
10-04-2013, 06:25 PM
It'd be pretty sweet to have Gate City Bank field at Microsoft Stadium(I don't really expect Sanford to be in the play for naming anything else athletic related here haha).

MNLonghorn10
10-04-2013, 06:33 PM
It'd be pretty sweet to have Gate City Bank field at Microsoft Stadium(I don't really expect Sanford to be in the play for naming anything else athletic related here haha).

Not to mention the lawsuits from uga ndsu would receive if Sanford was in the naming rights

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4