PDA

View Full Version : Article on ESPN regarding NDSU Recruiting

CarolinaBisonFan
10-01-2013, 06:00 PM
This is great to hear.

http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/fsu/category/_/name/north-dakota-state-bison

Bison in the spotlight The exposure North Dakota State received by having College Gameday in attendance before last Saturday’s 51-0 victory over Delaware State will certainly pay off on the recruiting front. While it’s not easy to track FCS recruiting, the Bison have five known commitments, including two steals out of Nebraska from receiver R.J. Urzendowski (Omaha, Neb./Creighton Prep) and corner Jalen Allison (Papillon, Neb./Papillion-LaVista). Two Big 12 coaches I talked to recently said they have noticed the Bison becoming more aggressive over the six months with recruits in the Midlands that would traditionally end up at places like Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Minnesota. I can see why with four straight victories over an FBS opponent after wins against Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota and Colorado State.

MNLonghorn10
10-01-2013, 06:02 PM
http://openclipart.org/image/800px/svg_to_png/130795/Trollface.png

MHDBisonfan
10-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Somebody earlier on another thread was talking about how ESPN seems to pick a school, like Boise St or now apparently us, and they make them media darlings. I didn't give that poster enough credit in my own mind. Because it now appears that somehow we have become a favorite of ESPN. I have seen and heard more about NDSU on ESPN media outlets this year than the last 5 years combined. And since ESPN drives the bus, other media will take notice and start giving us street cred as well, take the cbs poll as an example. What an fantastic time to be a Bison fan!

Hammerhead
10-01-2013, 06:44 PM
It could be that kids are realizing that there are many good FCS programs where someone who isn't a 5-star recruit can see lots of playing time early in their career. It's not like scouts won't find players From FCS, or even D-II/D-III who have real NFL potential.

Then again, it might be the Nebraska kids think they will get more wins at NDSU than at UNL. :)

thundarsdaddy
10-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Somebody earlier on another thread was talking about how ESPN seems to pick a school, like Boise St or now apparently us, and they make them media darlings. I didn't give that poster enough credit in my own mind. Because it now appears that somehow we have become a favorite of ESPN. I have seen and heard more about NDSU on ESPN media outlets this year than the last 5 years combined. And since ESPN drives the bus, other media will take notice and start giving us street cred as well, take the cbs poll as an example. What an fantastic time to be a Bison fan!

I agree.
I got the feeling after Gameday that the true College football fans, which the Gameday hosts all are, really cant wait for a playoff at the FBS level. They have seen how much fun it can be, and how probably determines the true Champion of college Football better than this BCS crap and depending on the rankings!
So here is the new powerhouse of FCS...NDSU, beating the Minnesota's and Kansas teams..etc, then beating KSU on their own turf???
So ask why is this happening?
With fewer scholarships and much less $$ available, how can NDSU be 7-3 against the FBS??

Sure Bohl is a great Coach, but what gives?

What they found is what we call know and love now. The Teamwork and Tradition do mean a lot!!
But above that I think the fact that FCS teams, get more meaningful games played each year than any FBS team IF, they make the playoffs and win a few playoff games. So NDSU has all this playoff game experience, and oh btw they keep WINNING these games, all the way thru the Championship Games, only to end up at K-State for a game where our Bison starters have played in how many more BIG FB games than have the KSU players!
Judging by Fowler and Corso's comments during Gameday I really think this was/is the reason they adore NDSU now and the FCS...because of the playoff system that everyone wanted all along?

cbline
10-01-2013, 07:26 PM
I agree.
I got the feeling after Gameday that the true College football fans, which the Gameday hosts all are, really cant wait for a playoff at the FBS level. They have seen how much fun it can be, and how probably determines the true Champion of college Football better than this BCS crap and depending on the rankings!
So here is the new powerhouse of FCS...NDSU, beating the Minnesota's and Kansas teams..etc, then beating KSU on their own turf???
With fewer scholarships and much less $$ available, how can NDSU be 7-3 against the FBS??

What they found is what we call know and love now. The Teamwork and Tradition do mean a lot!!
But above that I think the fact that FCS teams, get more meaningful games played each year than any FBS team IF, they make the playoffs and win a few playoff games. So NDSU has all this playoff game experience, and oh btw they keep WINNING these games, all the way thru the Championship Games, only to end up at K-State for a game where our Bison starters have played in how many more BIG FB games than have the KSU players!
Judging by Fowler and Corso's comments during Gameday I really think this was/is the reason they adore NDSU now and the FCS...because of the playoff system that everyone wanted all along?

Maybe it's because they got free slices of Sammy's Pizza after the show.

thundarsdaddy
10-01-2013, 07:27 PM
And the following of NDSU fans all across the nation..my God this following is amazing!

SDbison
10-01-2013, 07:47 PM
I agree.

Judging by Fowler and Corso's comments during Gameday I really think this was/is the reason they adore NDSU now and the FCS...because of the playoff system that everyone wanted all along?How very true! The only thing is the FBS 4 team playoff is a farce. An 8 team playoff should have been the start. Too many teams get left out with only 4 teams. I do think the FCS 24 team playoff is way too much. 16 teams was good enough and 20 was pushing it.

Bison03
10-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Maybe it's because they got free slices of Sammy's Pizza after the show.

Sammy's Pizza > Whatever Mussman can deliver in 30 minutes or less.

tjbison
10-01-2013, 07:52 PM

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?31069-ESPN-Gameday-live-from-NDSU&p=769210#post769210

mnriverbison
10-01-2013, 09:51 PM
This is great to hear.

http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/fsu/category/_/name/north-dakota-state-bison

Bison in the spotlight The exposure North Dakota State received by having College Gameday in attendance before last Saturday’s 51-0 victory over Delaware State will certainly pay off on the recruiting front. While it’s not easy to track FCS recruiting, the Bison have five known commitments, including two steals out of Nebraska from receiver R.J. Urzendowski (Omaha, Neb./Creighton Prep) and corner Jalen Allison (Papillon, Neb./Papillion-LaVista). Two Big 12 coaches I talked to recently said they have noticed the Bison becoming more aggressive over the six months with recruits in the Midlands that would traditionally end up at places like Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Minnesota. I can see why with four straight victories over an FBS opponent after wins against Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota and Colorado State.

Has a recruit with a confirmed standing offer from an AQ school ever picked an FCS offer instead?

CaBisonFan
10-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Has a recruit with a confirmed standing offer from an AQ school ever picked an FCS offer instead?Well...I think that Tony Satter had offers from some big programs but decided to stay home and be a Bison. Different era I know...but...

reformedUNDfan
10-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Has a recruit with a confirmed standing offer from an AQ school ever picked an FCS offer instead?

NDSU has had at least two of them, jerve i believe had a washington state offer, one of the 2013 kids from wisky had a pitt offer, i think it was nate tanguay

gumby013
10-01-2013, 10:41 PM
I took a page from coach Snyder and sent a hand written note to Lee Fitting. Can't hurt.

Herd
10-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I see a lot of FBS games where I am very confident that NDSU's squad could handle those teams. Frankly I think that NDSU could earn a top 25-30 finish playing a FBS conference schedule, outside of playing SEC & P12, and maybe B12 schedules. Those conf's would be meat grinders with 63 schollies.

thebootfitter
10-01-2013, 11:13 PM
I see a lot of FBS games where I am very confident that NDSU's squad could handle those teams. Frankly I think that NDSU could earn a top 25-30 finish playing a FBS conference schedule, outside of playing SEC & P12, and maybe B12 schedules. Those conf's would be meat grinders with 63 schollies.
Blasphemy! Take off those green and gold/yellow glasses. Don't you listen to the wisdom of other Bisonville posters? There's no way we could ever compete! We just get lucky once or twice a year against piss-poor FBS competition. We wouldn't stand a chance at beating an FBS team that was halfway decent, like Nebraska.

SamsRams
10-01-2013, 11:22 PM
NDSU has had at least two of them, jerve i believe had a washington state offer, one of the 2013 kids from wisky had a pitt offer, i think it was nate tanguay

It was Nick Jacobsen who had Pitt offer, also departed RB Matt Jones had a Colorado offer. Tanguay had an Army offer. FYI there is this great site called bisonation.info where one could verify offers from players like Tanguay.

tjbison
10-01-2013, 11:24 PM

2009 Justin Juckem had offers from Boston College, Washington St, Army, UND and NDSU
2009 Hank Jacobs had an offer from Army
2009 Sam Ojuri Eastern Michigan, New Mexico and Akron not BCS but still FBS
2009 Cole Jirik offer from Western Michigan
Grant Olson Wyoming, army
Jesse Hinz Ohio

just to name a few

marenlee
10-01-2013, 11:27 PM

It happens a lot more often than people think. I was looking at Ga Southerns recruiting class and one of their 3 star recruits had offers from at least half of the SEC schools. I know GSU is in transition but it still happened before with them and App State. Why go to Ole Miss or Auburn and sit on the bench or play special teams when you can start on a quality FCS team?

HerdBot
10-01-2013, 11:28 PM
what could have been had he not been injured

2009 Justin Juckem had offers from Boston College, Washington St, Army, UND and NDSU

heffray
10-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Blasphemy! Take off those green and gold/yellow glasses. Don't you listen to the wisdom of other Bisonville posters? There's no way we could ever compete! We just get lucky once or twice a year against piss-poor FBS competition. We wouldn't stand a chance at beating an FBS team that was halfway decent, like Nebraska.

What profound wisdom!

Wally
10-02-2013, 02:21 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/sports/at-louisville-an-athletic-boom-made-for-and-by-tv.html?pagewanted=all

I think this might be posted somewhere else, but fits what you are saying how espn can really bring a program to another level, like Louisville & Boise.

They sign the big money deal with espn, but have to be prepared to play when espn wants them to. What would be the opinion of most Bison fans on this? Exchange many Sat games/tailgate for Tues/Thursday/Friday games with national exposure?

BadlandsBison
10-02-2013, 02:24 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/sports/at-louisville-an-athletic-boom-made-for-and-by-tv.html?pagewanted=all

I think this might be posted somewhere else, but fits what you are saying how espn can really bring a program to another level, like Louisville & Boise.

They sign the big money deal with espn, but have to be prepared to play when espn wants them to. What would be the opinion of most Bison fans on this? Exchange many Sat games/tailgate for Tues/Thursday/Friday games with national exposure?

We need to be memorable like Boise State. LETS GET GREEN TURF!

CalBison97
10-02-2013, 05:41 AM
Jesse Hinz Ohio

just to name a few

Surprised Juckem didn't pick that D2 program...

BisonNeil
10-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Just like last week's ESPN GameDay on the Georgia campus. In the first few minutes of the show they were talking about all of the big matchups between ranked teams that Saturday and right along side the big boys was the NDSU and SDSU game. Herbie followed up by saying that he had a "new appreciation for matchups like this". My guess is they will have something this Saturday about NDSU and UNI. Love it!

Also loved that one of the Bison signs made the GameDay HOF piece Rinaldi did. Very nice.

BisonNeil
10-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Jesse Hinz Ohio

just to name a few

But to clarify, the question was about recruits with an AQ school offer. On your list, only Juckem qualifies, the rest are non-AQ schools. Jacobsen this year with his offer from Pitt.

tjbison
10-02-2013, 12:54 PM
But to clarify, the question was about recruits with an AQ school offer. On your list, only Juckem qualifies, the rest are non-AQ schools. Jacobsen this year with his offer from Pitt.

hence why he is the top of the list, I did make reference to non BCS and FBS somehow it did not separate on my phone

GradBison
10-02-2013, 02:05 PM
I took a page from coach Snyder and sent a hand written note to Lee Fitting. Can't hurt.

Was it written diagonally with green ink? :D

bisonmike2
10-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Jesse Hinz Ohio

just to name a few

I still don't know how Olson didn't have more offers than that from big time schools. He played on a great team and didn't one of his fellow LB's he played with went to Stanford. Brewster's list of boneheaded accomplishments is long but him not offering Olson is right at the top.

westnodak93bison
10-02-2013, 03:16 PM
I still don't know how Olson didn't have more offers than that from big time schools. He played on a great team and didn't one of his fellow LB's he played with went to Stanford. Brewster's list of boneheaded accomplishments is long but him not offering Olson is right at the top.

Not tall enough and a little light out of high school. That is how bigger programs think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Civil06
10-02-2013, 04:12 PM

AJ Tarpley - http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208167721&DB_OEM_ID=30600

He also had this tweet to Kirk Herbstreit https://twitter.com/AJTarpley/status/381222657422667776

KSBisonFan
10-02-2013, 05:01 PM

I hope you signed Bill Snyder's name instead of Gumby.

mnriverbison
10-02-2013, 05:34 PM

Brewster was a bonehead, but almost every school in the country missed on Olson (the rare exceptions being the few who couldn't use him today).

This line of logic is like saying every NFL team was stupid for not drafting Tom Brady after 5 rounds. I suppose its true, but then every team in every league makes this alleged blunder 10 times per year. Olson was a late bloomer. Our guys are good at getting them. Let's be happy about that. If Olson showed this in HS he'd have had MAC, B1G, B12, etc offers and wouldn't be a Bison.

bisonmike2
10-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Brewster was a bonehead, but almost every school in the country missed on Olson (the rare exceptions being the few who couldn't use him today).

This line of logic is like saying every NFL team was stupid for not drafting Tom Brady after 5 rounds. I suppose its true, but then every team in every league makes this alleged blunder 10 times per year. Olson was a late bloomer. Our guys are good at getting them. Let's be happy about that. If Olson showed this in HS he'd have had MAC, B1G, B12, etc offers and wouldn't be a Bison.

Point taken but I was reading stuff about Olson prior to him committing anywhere. I don't recall him being a late bloomer, he was legit in HS. I remember his coach saying he was as good of LB he had ever coached and that was really saying something because a couple years before that same coach had Jame Lauranitius on his team. Still don't know how so many BCS schools missed him.

Kermit
10-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Point taken but I was reading stuff about Olson prior to him committing anywhere. I don't recall him being a late bloomer, he was legit in HS. I remember his coach saying he was as good of LB he had ever coached and that was really saying something because a couple years before that same coach had Jame Lauranitius on his team. Still don't know how so many BCS schools missed him.

Your memory is accurate. Grant Olson was a great high school linebacker and team leader. He was more productive on the field than AJ Tarpley, who is now one of Stanford's best players. If either of these guys was a "late bloomer" it was Tarpley. Tarpley was a great athlete who obviously had high-end potential. To his credit, Tarpley's development has probably exceeded expectations.

Grant Olson was widely seen as a great high school player who had physical limitations. Some feared that he was already playing near his potential. Those who doubted him greatly under-estimated his intangible qualities. Fortunately for the Bison, Craig Bohl was not among the doubters. I recall Bohl telling a story about how he and Scott Hazelton made a personal visit to GO to tell him that Hazelton would be the new D-coordinator for the Bison. I also remember Bohl telling KFGO, on the day that Olson signed his NLI, that Grant would be a future captain for the Bison!

If it isn't obvious, Grant Olson is without a doubt one of my all-time favorite Bison. He is also an incredible role model for young people and all of us.

Go Bison!!

gumby013
10-02-2013, 08:00 PM
I hope you signed Bill Snyder's name instead of Gumby.

Purple pen and everything.

Mr. Burgundy
10-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Your memory is accurate. Grant Olson was a great high school linebacker and team leader. He was more productive on the field than AJ Tarpley, who is now one of Stanford's best players. If either of these guys was a "late bloomer" it was Tarpley. Tarpley was a great athlete who obviously had high-end potential. To his credit, Tarpley's development has probably exceeded expectations.

Grant Olson was widely seen as a great high school player who had physical limitations. Some feared that he was already playing near his potential. Those who doubted him greatly under-estimated his intangible qualities. Fortunately for the Bison, Craig Bohl was not among the doubters. I recall Bohl telling a story about how he and Scott Hazelton made a personal visit to GO to tell him that Hazelton would be the new D-coordinator for the Bison. I also remember Bohl telling KFGO, on the day that Olson signed his NLI, that Grant would be a future captain for the Bison!

If it isn't obvious, Grant Olson is without a doubt one of my all-time favorite Bison. He is also an incredible role model for young people and all of us.

Go Bison!!

I could not agree more....and I guarantee that those bigtime recruiters also know exactly how tall Grant is, and some of the Bisonville experts at the time he signed were probably nervous about his height and weight, which seems to be the biggest concern everytime we get a kid, until Leevon puts on 100 lbs or Drevlow...etc. I will continue to trust our talent evaluators.

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2013, 02:30 AM
I could not agree more....and I guarantee that those bigtime recruiters also know exactly how tall Grant is, and some of the Bisonville experts at the time he signed were probably nervous about his height and weight, which seems to be the biggest concern everytime we get a kid, until Leevon puts on 100 lbs or Drevlow...etc. I will continue to trust our talent evaluators.

I had the pleasure of meeting Grant's parents in Frisco last year. (same flight as me) They struck me as absolutely wonderful people and no doubt the reason why Grant is such a great leader.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

westriver bison
10-03-2013, 02:39 AM

IMO this would lead to a lot of games with 12000 in the stands. People have jobs, some travel a long ways on game day. For us it's 300 miles, hard to make a week night game and get back home to work the next day.

MAKBison
10-03-2013, 05:02 AM
I disagree, I think you would still fill the dome.

IMO this would lead to a lot of games with 12000 in the stands. People have jobs, some travel a long ways on game day. For us it's 300 miles, hard to make a week night game and get back home to work the next day.

Rynomite
10-03-2013, 05:44 AM
Great read buddy! Thanks for posting! I think with the limited scholarships we have, we have to be as aggressive as we can to continue our success. And other teams are going to see that we have a lot to offer as far as NFL prospects.

bisonaudit
10-03-2013, 01:24 PM

I don't know the answer but this would be a concern for me that I'd want to see addressed with solid numbers, survey, statistics, etc. Boise is 3x the population of the F-M and Louisville, is 7x.

IzzyFlexion
10-03-2013, 03:19 PM
I don't know the answer but this would be a concern for me that I'd want to see addressed with solid numbers, survey, statistics, etc. Boise is 3x the population of the F-M and Louisville, is 7x.

buttskyscraper

56BISON73
10-04-2013, 01:52 AM

The real question is-----how would those players have developed under different coaches and a different system? Would they have taken the time to develop these players or would they have gotten lost in the numbers shuffle?

perthbison
10-04-2013, 02:27 AM
The real question is-----how would those players have developed under different coaches and a different system? Would they have taken the time to develop these players or would they have gotten lost in the numbers shuffle?That is an excellent point

BisonNeil
10-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Great read buddy! Thanks for posting! I think with the limited scholarships we have, we have to be as aggressive as we can to continue our success. And other teams are going to see that we have a lot to offer as far as NFL prospects.

Not sure what you mean here.

Limited because NDSU only has 63? Perhaps.

But, relative to the total number, the number of scholarships that become available for this class it is quite high, especially compared to last year when four seniors graduated after using up their eligibility and >20 seniors this year graduating.

I think the aggressiveness is because the coaches are striking while the iron is hot (i.e., national publicity) and they have a lot of scholies to give and a chance to seriously re-load.

Mayville Bison
10-04-2013, 02:11 PM

it would hurt tailgating, but the dome would still be full. Instead of being a full day experience for those traveling a ways, it will change to mostly just the game.

To a ton of people, that's still a big deal, but the game itself won't change much

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

BisonNeil
10-04-2013, 05:39 PM

According to the internet, the population of Fargo is 109,000, population of Boise is 212,000 and population of Louisville is 569,000. So you are wrong on all accounts :D

EndZoneQB
10-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Olson still isn't the prototypical height/weight for a MLB, but he plays bigger because he has such great instincts. It's like someone else pointed out(Kermit? Burgundy?), he has intangibles that you can't coach...and that includes his nose for the ball. What he lacks in physical skills/size, he more than makes up for with his ability to get to the ball.

If games were on Tuesday/Thursday, I would definitely make sure my work schedule worked around it. Not that difficult. Plus, think of all the people that currently can't even get into the dome...it would certainly open an opportunity for more of them to be included in the atmosphere. Ticket demand is CRAZY right now, don't forget that fact...

THEsocalledfan
10-04-2013, 05:58 PM
If games were on Tuesday/Thursday, I would definitely make sure my work schedule worked around it. Not that difficult. Plus, think of all the people that currently can't even get into the dome...it would certainly open an opportunity for more of them to be included in the atmosphere. Ticket demand is CRAZY right now, don't forget that fact...

So, all folks who go to Bison games live in Fargo? So, everyone will have this much flexibility? This is a tricky issue. I'd rather plan an 10 or 11 AM start on a Saturday if needed for these reasons.

bisonaudit
10-04-2013, 06:01 PM
According to the internet, the population of Fargo is 109,000, population of Boise is 212,000 and population of Louisville is 569,000. So you are wrong on all accounts :D

I was looking at the MSAs.

Hammerhead
10-04-2013, 06:05 PM
The Boise metro area is about 630,000. F-M is about 216,000.
http://recenter.tamu.edu/data/pop/popm/cbsa22020.asp

Tatanka
10-04-2013, 06:05 PM
I was looking at the MSAs.

Somewhere, the Bisonator is smiling.

tjbison
10-04-2013, 06:30 PM
bison helmet front and center on the SVP show again

EndZoneQB
10-04-2013, 07:15 PM
So, all folks who go to Bison games live in Fargo? So, everyone will have this much flexibility? This is a tricky issue. I'd rather plan an 10 or 11 AM start on a Saturday if needed for these reasons.

Hey, I hear Sanford has a big operation in Fargo. Should I get you an application?

My point being, the games will still sell out. You don't even come to games on Saturday's why would we worry about you making it for a game on a Tuesday/Thursday??? But seriously, it's really not about the out of town fans...NDSU will play football whether the fans are local or from out of town. Frankly, it'd be better if MOST of the fans were from in town(which is obviously the case). Plan ahead.

Hammersmith
10-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Question, is the following acceptable to you or not?

Home games: one Tuesday night, one Friday night, four Saturday
Away games: very similar

That's pretty close to what Louisville's schedule looks like this year.

If the Bison were to get some sweetheart deal or join a conference like the MAC, that's the type of schedule we'd see. There would almost certainly be one or two home games that wouldn't be on a Saturday, but it wouldn't be a schedule full of Tuesdays like some would have you believe. So is one Tuesday and one Friday home game per season too much? Honest question.

tjbison
10-04-2013, 11:06 PM

If the Bison were to get some sweetheart deal or join a conference like the MAC, that's the type of schedule we'd see. There would almost certainly be one or two home games that wouldn't be on a Saturday, but it wouldn't be a schedule full of Tuesdays like some would have you believe. So is one Tuesday and one Friday home game per season too much? Honest question.

not to me, I would be there no matter.

but honestly I don't get to excited about MAC teams

EndZoneQB
10-05-2013, 12:33 AM

Nope. I have vacation for that purpose. Really not that difficult to pull off...if you are a big enough fan, you will find a way to make it work. Even if you can't, shit happens.

kab1one
10-05-2013, 12:35 AM
If they are winning you might fill a week night. Ever wonder why there is concerts on week nights, all the big shows are on weekends, because people have jobs and have to travel that attend events. Bison football is no different.

EndZoneQB
10-05-2013, 12:40 AM
If they are winning you might fill a week night. Ever wonder why there is concerts on week nights, all the big shows are on weekends, because people have jobs and have to travel that attend events. Bison football is no different.

All the big shows are on weekends? I've gone to PLENTY of concerts that are in the middle of the week. Not every schedule works out in your favor....life isn't fair, bro.

kab1one
10-05-2013, 12:44 AM
All the big shows are on weekends? I've gone to PLENTY of concerts that are in the middle of the week. Not every schedule works out in your favor....life isn't fair, bro.

Let me rephrase, big shows that fill the dome. How many sell outs have been during the week?

I bet if look at the twenty biggest crowds in dome history, all during the week ends. There is a reason why.

Mayville Bison
10-05-2013, 02:58 AM
Hey, I hear Sanford has a big operation in Fargo. Should I get you an application?

My point being, the games will still sell out. You don't even come to games on Saturday's why would we worry about you making it for a game on a Tuesday/Thursday??? But seriously, it's really not about the out of town fans...NDSU will play football whether the fans are local or from out of town. Frankly, it'd be better if MOST of the fans were from in town(which is obviously the case). Plan ahead.

agree with most of this except for the local fans part. The thing that makes NDSU football great is that it's a statewide event. You take that away and it's not as big (obviously).

That being said, 1 or 2 weekday games would be fine if we join a major conference - my opinion of course

tjbison
10-05-2013, 03:00 AM
Let me rephrase, big shows that fill the dome. How many sell outs have been during the week?

I bet if look at the twenty biggest crowds in dome history, all during the week ends. There is a reason why.

yes that's easy, 95% of the games have been Saturdays

EndZoneQB
10-05-2013, 05:09 AM

How many games have been during the week? Also, how many of the biggest crowds in dome history have been in the last 3 years? You can't count "history" when the program has NEVER been this high before...EVER. C'mon bro, gotta have abetter argument than that weak stuff :). My point is that there is enough support and people that want to come to games that a Tuesday game wouldn't hinder attendance much. Plenty of people in Fargo that can sit at a game from 7-1030pm on a weeknight and get to work fine in the morning. If you HAVE to miss ONE game, does it really matter THAT much?

agree with most of this except for the local fans part. The thing that makes NDSU football great is that it's a statewide event. You take that away and it's not as big (obviously).

That being said, 1 or 2 weekday games would be fine if we join a major conference - my opinion of course

You sort of missed my point here...Fargo is large enough to support NDSU football itself. 216k in the metro, that's MORE than plenty. Obviously the state should get involved, but it's not like that can't still happen if they miss a game or two. Look at Nebraska for example, you think every fan in Nebraska goes to every game every year? Sh*t no, but that doesn't make them any less interested or any less of a fan. Let's be real here...and besides, we don't represent the vast majority of fans.

Remember when everyone was worried about the Friday night game? Look how that turned out.

Blair
10-07-2013, 07:37 AM
ESPN is the king maker of college football. Last time Gameday visited a small campus they crowned Boise State. Is it that far out of the realm they've decided to crown the Bison? It would appear to be a natural rivalry in the MWC and give the conference a solid program. Budgets are easily attainable if given ESPN type support. A shakeup is coming in the upper ranks, and it makes sense ESPN would shore up its other offerings.

I read ESPN never gives conferences unsolicited advice, but when asked whether a team should join, they will offer support. Big12? Forgetaboutit. MWC? Pencil it in.