PDA

View Full Version : FCS Week 6 Thread

NDSUstudent
09-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Key FCS Games:
Lehigh at Fordham 11 a.m. CBS Sports Network-Massive game in the Patriot League, its basically the Patriot League title game. Lehigh is a fresh off a massive 34-27 win over New Hampshire while Fordham struggled with St Francis early before pulling away in the second half. With the new playoff system seeding 8 teams it is safe to say whoever wins here will be among those eight. For a early October game I'm not sure it can get much bigger than this match up in the Bronx.

Delaware at Maine 2:30 p.m.- Both of these CAA teams struggled last year but have rebounded to 4-1 starts in 2013. The only blemish for either squad is a loss to a solid FBS opponent. While a loss wouldn't derail the season for Maine or Delaware, a win here could make either team a CAA title contender and make their struggles from last season a very distant memory.

NAU at Montana State 3:05 p.m. Big Sky TV- Before last week NAU had been unimpressive in 2013, the lumberjacks only beat USD by six and UCD by 11. But then they walloped the Griz, scoring 2 defensive touchdowns and running back Zach Baumann gashed Montana on the ground for 5.6 yard per carry and 2 touchdowns. NAU can bring a physical brand of football to the table, something that in the past has given the Bobcats some issues. This will be the first real test for Denarius McGhee after returning from a shoulder injury he suffered against SMU early in the season. In his first start back from his injury he torched UND but lets face it the only pressure he felt was the breeze from Alerus Center ventilation system. This week will be the real test to see just what kind of team MSU is bringing to the table.

FCS Game of the Week:
UNI at NDSU 2:30 p.m. NBC ND/FSN+/FCS Pacific- Both teams feature physical hard hitting defenses and want to shove the ball down their opponents throats. The coaches and players don't like each other and for fans of either team this is the conference game that you just don't want to lose. Some UNI fans believe their guy David Johnson is the class of MVFC when it comes to running backs, that theory will be put to the test against a Bison defense that completely shut down Zach Zenner. If UNI becomes one dimensional this game could get ugly but if the Panther can maintain a balanced attack this game could be an instant classic.

FCS Games on TV:
Lehigh at Fordham 11 a.m. CBS Sports Network
New Hampshire at Towson 11 a.m. CSNE/CSMA
WIU at Illinois State 2 p.m. CSN-Chicago
Missouri State at USD 2 p.m. Midco
UNI at NDSU 2:30 p.m. NBC ND/FSN+/FCS Pacific
Portland State at Montana 2:30 p.m. Root Sports Northwest and Rocky Mountain/Big Sky TV
McNeese State at UCA 3 p.m. ESPN Game Plan/ESPN3

FCS Streams(ESPN3 or free):
North Greenville at Charleston Southern 10 a.m. Big South Video
Havard at Holy Cross noon Patriot League Network
Columbia at Princeton noon ESPN3
St Francis at CCSU noon ESPN3
Wagner at Sacred Heart noon NEC Front Row
Elon at Furman 12:30 ESPN3
Jacksonville State at UT Martin 2 p.m. ESPN3
SIU at SDSU 2 p.m. ESPN3/MVC Video
UCD at SUU 2 p.m. Big Sky TV
YSU at Indiana State 2 p.m. ESPN3
NCAT at South Carolina State 3 p.m. ESPN3
UND at Idaho State 3 p.m. Big Sky TV
Tenn Tech at Murray State 3 p.m. OVC Digital Sports Network
NAU at Montana State 3:05 p.m. Big Sky TV
Yale at Cal Poly 4 p.m. Big Sky TV
Austin Peay at EKU 5 p.m. OVC Digital Sports Network
SEMO at Tenn State 6 p.m. OVC Digitial Sports Network
Weber State at EWU 6 p.m. Big Sky TV
UNC at Sac State 8 p.m. Big Sky TV

BisonTeacher
09-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Well done sir. I look forward to this each week and really appreciate the television coverage info as well.

ndsubison1
09-29-2013, 07:52 PM
pretty sure fordham is ineligible to win the patriot this season because they decided to use some form of scholarships but still a big game for both.

NDSUstudent
09-29-2013, 08:33 PM
pretty sure fordham is ineligible to win the patriot this season because they decided to use some form of scholarships but still a big game for both.

Yep, I just looked it up and they won't be eligible until next year.

WYOBISONMAN
09-30-2013, 11:43 AM
I will take Lehigh, Maine, Montana State and the Bison in a rout that makes Farley weep. As for the whioux? They get thumped by a crappy Idaho State team. The whioux defense is crappier than crappy.

DePereBisonFan
09-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Yep, I just looked it up and they won't be eligible until next year.

Are they eligible for an at-large playoff bid? They do have an FBS win and a win at New Hampshire. Decent resume that will get stronger if they beat Lehigh.

Mayville Bison
09-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Are they eligible for an at-large playoff bid? They do have an FBS win and a win at New Hampshire. Decent resume that will get stronger if they beat Lehigh.

Ya, they just can't get the auto-invite from the league

Mayville Bison
09-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Side note, where can I find out if there's a watch party in Bozeman for the game? I know there's lists out there, just can't remember where it's at

bisonaudit
09-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Side note, where can I find out if there's a watch party in Bozeman for the game? I know there's lists out there, just can't remember where it's at

Keep an eye on this web address:

http://www.ndsualumni.com/netcommunity/watchparties

Mayville Bison
09-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Keep an eye on this web address:

http://www.ndsualumni.com/netcommunity/watchparties

That's what I was looking for. Thanks audit!

Lehigh Owl
09-30-2013, 07:45 PM

Fordham beat Villanova an also notched a win over my horrifically bad Temple Owls. Fordham is a a lock for a at-large bid with a win this weekend. Honestly, the winner on Saturday has a great chance to run the table and be one of the 8 seeds.

Mayville Bison
09-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Fordham beat Villanova an also notched a win over my horrifically bad Temple Owls. Fordham is a a lock for a at-large bid with a win this weekend. Honestly, the winner on Saturday has a great chance to run the table and be one of the 8 seeds.

With that said, I'll be cheering for Lehigh this weekend. Fordham has to be undefeated to get an at-large birth and I really don't want to see two Patriot League teams in the playoffs.

As I type that, I'm quickly remembering that there aren't that many elite teams, so maybe a 11-1 Fordham and 11-0 Lehigh could both get in. Even if Lehigh runs the table, I think they will have to play in the opening weekend. They don't have any quality wins (save Fordham) to justify it. New Hampshire is gonna have to start blowing teams out to make a 7-point win look a lot better.

Lehigh Owl
09-30-2013, 08:17 PM
With that said, I'll be cheering for Lehigh this weekend. Fordham has to be undefeated to get an at-large birth and I really don't want to see two Patriot League teams in the playoffs.

As I type that, I'm quickly remembering that there aren't that many elite teams, so maybe a 11-1 Fordham and 11-0 Lehigh could both get in. Even if Lehigh runs the table, I think they will have to play in the opening weekend. They don't have any quality wins (save Fordham) to justify it. New Hampshire is gonna have to start blowing teams out to make a 7-point win look a lot better.

Fordham DOES NOT have to go undefeated to make the playoffs. 11-1 with a win over Villanova and FBS Temple will be more than enough to get a bid. Don't forget, they expanded the playoffs this year to 24.

I think you're looking into what happened last year too much. Lehigh got a bye in 2011 with a 10-1 record. UNH is still a quality win (obviously subject to change) and Princeton could be as well.

Mayville Bison
09-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Fordham DOES NOT have to go undefeated to make the playoffs. 11-1 with a win over Villanova and FBS Temple will be more than enough to get a bid. Don't forget, they expanded the playoffs this year to 24.

I think you're looking into what happened last year too much. Lehigh got a bye in 2011 with a 10-1 record. UNH is still a quality win (obviously subject to change) and Princeton could be as well.

I think you stopped reading after where you bolded. I couldn't even finish the post before I changed my mind. Nova has been pretty underwhelming to me thus far and a Temple win is more impressive if you just call it an FBS win.

Lehigh Owl
09-30-2013, 08:33 PM
I think you stopped reading after where you bolded. I couldn't even finish the post before I changed my mind. Nova has been pretty underwhelming to me thus far and a Temple win is more impressive if you just call it an FBS win.

Villanova underwhelming? They've beaten SBU (losses to FBS Buffalo, #2 Towson and Villanova) and Penn (Pre-season IL favorite) the last two weeks by a combined score of 70-12. Their only losses are two a very good Fordham team and a decent FBS Boston College squad. Villanova gets W&M on the Main Line this weekend to keep the positive mojo going. Villanova could be a serious challenger to NDSU come December. They are loaded....

ndsubison1
10-01-2013, 06:01 AM
Villanova underwhelming? They've beaten SBU (losses to FBS Buffalo, #2 Towson and Villanova) and Penn (Pre-season IL favorite) the last two weeks by a combined score of 70-12. Their only losses are two a very good Fordham team and a decent FBS Boston College squad. Villanova gets W&M on the Main Line this weekend to keep the positive mojo going. Villanova could be a serious challenger to NDSU come December. They are loaded....

agreed. fordham is looking good and bc isnt a bad loss. they returned 18 starters from a playoff team. theyll be a threat in the playoffs

JSUBison
10-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Patriot will get two teams in, unless Fordham absolutely implodes, but that won't happen. The Socon will get only one this year I think. OVC probably get two as well. And then there is the Big South who could get at least 2 in if things break right...going to be an interesting playoff selection if some of these hot teams stay hot.

Mayville Bison
10-02-2013, 12:22 PM

I compare Nova to UNI from last year - tons of talent but early season losses doomed their season. I hope they continue to win as the FCS needs it's best teams in the playoffs to get as many good matchups as possible.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

NDSUstudent
10-05-2013, 04:08 AM
If you have Direct TV you can find the following games on these channels....
Lehigh at Fordham 221
UNH at Towson 630
WIU at ISUR 665
UNI at NDSU 652-1(HD) and 626
Portland State at Montana 101, 239, 334, 500 and 687

Tatanka
10-05-2013, 12:02 PM
SDSU vs SIU in the mud in Brookings. Glad it's not us there this week. The pasture is going to be terrible. It's already in bad shape... SIU typically has a pretty stout run d... I'm betting Zenner goes for less than 15 zenners today. An SIU win wouldn't shock me.

WYOBISONMAN
10-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Towson getting pounded by New Hampshire......

MN_Moose
10-05-2013, 04:49 PM
New Hampshire 20 Towson 3 end 1st qtr. All off Towson turnovers.

Hammersmith
10-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Towson returning the favor. 41 unanswered points.

44-20 Towson after 3Q.

Hammersmith
10-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Fordham about to knock Lehigh down a slot or twelve. 45-28 Fordham with 10min to go.

MN_BISON
10-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Swamp Thing Bowl

SIU 7
Jacks 0

SIU drives right down the swamp and scores, field looks nasty.

MN_BISON
10-05-2013, 07:42 PM
SDSU 7
Skinny Dogs 7

MN_BISON
10-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Skinny Dogs 10
Jacks 7

MN_BISON
10-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Sdsu 10
siu 10

Mayville Bison
10-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Maine by 34 over Delaware?
SDSU losing?
UN_ winning?
If UNI would have won, I would've thought Hell has frozen over

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

BisonTeacher
10-06-2013, 02:12 AM
So how bad is idaho state then? Yikes.

Bison bison
10-06-2013, 02:17 AM
There are very good team. One of the best.

Good luck to UND and Coach Mussman the rest of the season, next year and for many years to come...

RowdyRabbit
10-06-2013, 03:09 AM
Saw, whilst sitting in CAS, watching my 'rabbits suck, that you guys were down a couple scores. "They'll come back and win, that's what championship teams do".

You did. Nice win! Meanwhile, it's official, jackrabbits are not top 25.

DIBISON
10-06-2013, 05:35 AM
Saw, whilst sitting in CAS, watching my 'rabbits suck, that you guys were down a couple scores. "They'll come back and win, that's what championship teams do".

You did. Nice win! Meanwhile, it's official, jackrabbits are not top 25.
You may not be, but you are better than the team from the Big Sky!

Tatanka
10-06-2013, 12:24 PM
You may not be, but you are better than the team from the Big Sky!

admittedly not much of a compliment.

TransAmBison
10-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Meanwhile, it's official, jackrabbits are not top 25.That is harsh. I would still put them in the top 25...but they better get their act together now.

BisonNeil
10-06-2013, 06:37 PM
There are very good team. One of the best.

That was supposed to be in purple, right?

Idaho State is 2-3 for the season. Their only two wins were against DII teams Dixie State and Western State of Colorado.

I like how the UN_ defensive players thought they played really well and stepped up after getting globsmacked by the Montana schools.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/274990/group/Sports/

I wonder if they realize that Idaho State had previously only scored 13 total points against DI competition prior to playing the Whioux?

taper
10-06-2013, 09:55 PM
I wonder if they realize that Idaho State had previously only scored 13 total points against DI competition prior to playing the Whioux?

I wonder if UN_ realizes they've only put up 14 points when not in garbage time before this except Valpo.