PDA

View Full Version : Transitive properties: Alabama, Colorado State, & NDSU

thebootfitter
09-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Before the flaming starts, I am not suggesting we could beat 'Bama. I know transitive properties in football can only be taken so far (which isn't very far, really). Especially across years with different personnel, etc. Besides the any given Saturday principle.

Yet, it cannot escape casual observation that the final score of Alabama's game against CSU today wasn't that different than ours a year ago.

Did anybody see the Alabama game? Did they have a let down after A&M? Did they just let up on the gas early?

I have said this somewhere in another thread, but I think it would make for a very interesting game to pit this year's FCS champion against the FBS title holder at the end of the season. It would never happen for many reasons, but even if the FCS team got smoked, we would have a better idea how the best match up with the best from each division. How much better are they really?

WYOBISONMAN
09-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Bama is one hell of a lot better. It would be a "Shark Week" game.

bisononce
09-22-2013, 03:53 PM
"Shark Week" game. Okay. I'll bite. I don't spend chunks of my day on here so maybe don't get a running inside reference. Or perhaps I have the mind of an eight year old. But what is a game that is re: shark week??

HandoEX
09-22-2013, 04:04 PM
"Shark Week" game. Okay. I'll bite. I don't spend chunks of my day on here so maybe don't get a running inside reference. Or perhaps I have the mind of an eight year old. But what is a game that is re: shark week??
A big spread. This game would probably by a three TD loss. Having a former 'Bama OC as CAU's head coach probably helped in yesterday's game.

heffray
09-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Someone explain this to me... Do we or do we not want to play Alabama? Shouldn't we want to play the best of the best to see how we stack up?

The line on the game would be 32.5. I think we would easily cover that.

Another thing: I think getting a game like Bama or some perennially high ranked opponent is about the only FBS team we could get to play us anymore. What are the chances this could actually happen? About as good as College Gameday coming to Fargo, I bet...

MinotBison
09-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Someone explain this to me... Do we or do we not want to play Alabama? Shouldn't we want to play the best of the best to see how we stack up?

The line on the game would be 32.5. I think we would easily cover that.

Another thing: I think getting a game like Bama or some perennially high ranked opponent is about the only FBS team we could get to play us anymore. What are the chances this could actually happen? About as good as College Gameday coming to Fargo, I bet...

The chance of this happening are pretty close to none.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Before the flaming starts, I am not suggesting we could beat 'Bama. I know transitive properties in football can only be taken so far (which isn't very far, really). Especially across years with different personnel, etc. Besides the any given Saturday principle.

Yet, it cannot escape casual observation that the final score of Alabama's game against CSU today wasn't that different than ours a year ago.

Did anybody see the Alabama game? Did they have a let down after A&M? Did they just let up on the gas early?

I have said this somewhere in another thread, but I think it would make for a very interesting game to pit this year's FCS champion against the FBS title holder at the end of the season. It would never happen for many reasons, but even if the FCS team got smoked, we would have a better idea how the best match up with the best from each division. How much better are they really?

Generally, teams play down to the level of their competition. Hence the score. CSU is a bad football team.

After last nights KSU/Texas game, I think it is becoming painfully clear that we beat a poor KSU team, so lets not get too carried away about that win.

NDSU and Bama? I don't even want to see that game.

CaBisonFan
09-22-2013, 09:43 PM
GT & CB know how to schedule games. It's that simple.

Doubt they'll schedule any of the top elite teams when they're at a peak.

stevdock
09-22-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm so confused by threads like these. I can't figure out if it's better to be big time, meaning go FBS and play against anybody, or be small time, meaning schedule our one FBS game like we do now and stay FCS. I thought NDSU's motto was anytime, anyplace, against anybody. Then again GT and CB have the formula down perfectly since we've won the Natty the last two years.

Thank goodness all that truly matters as a fan is to cheer on our boys as they take us all on quite the ride again this season.

heffray
09-22-2013, 10:15 PM
The chance of this happening are pretty close to none.

If you asked me 2 weeks ago what the chances were of Gameday coming to Fargo, if say the same: zero - zero point zero percent chance?

thebootfitter
09-23-2013, 05:22 AM
Generally, teams play down to the level of their competition. Hence the score. CSU is a bad football team.

After last nights KSU/Texas game, I think it is becoming painfully clear that we beat a poor KSU team, so lets not get too carried away about that win.

NDSU and Bama? I don't even want to see that game.
That seems a bit silly. Georgia Southern played 'Bama. And had a decent showing. (We've all heard about that around here.) It is probably not a very winnable game, even for this group of seniors, but it is a game I would love to see.

I don't believe that truly good teams play down to the level of their competition. It may happen often, but it sure didn't appear to happen to the Bison on Saturday.

ndsubison1
09-24-2013, 06:26 AM
we probably wouldnt put up more than 10 on bama

WYOBISONMAN
09-24-2013, 09:07 AM
This thread serves no pupose......

westnodak93bison
09-24-2013, 12:57 PM
This thread serves no pupose......

Why? Obama ranks last in the SEC and about 90th in rushing. Their defense is nothing like it was last year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HerdBot
09-24-2013, 01:21 PM
What's interesting about that game is its not like Alabama had a ton of turnovers. They lost TOP and were even in turnovers. Heck had we not gone conservative in the 2nd half last year we could have won by a larger margin. We basically had the game won at half on the road while bama lead 17-6 after 3 qtrs.

Would we win? Doubtful but after watching us beat K State and get Game Day, nothing shocks me

MNLonghorn10
09-24-2013, 01:28 PM
What's interesting about that game is its not like Alabama had a ton of turnovers. They lost TOP and were even in turnovers. Heck had we not gone conservative in the 2nd half last year we could have won by a larger margin. We basically had the game won at half on the road while bama lead 17-6 after 3 qtrs.

Would we win? Doubtful but after watching us beat K State and get Game Day, nothing shocks me

Jesus.

A win over #1 overall and the team that's won 3 of 4 and probably 4 of 5 nattys at the highest level of cfb wouldn't shock you?

Hate to break the bad news here..but kstate is looking like they're not as good of a team as a lot of people thought they would be.

Yay..ndsu pulled out a last second win over a top 45 team.

Bring on #1 with nfl talent coming out of its elephant ears!!

stevdock
09-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Jesus.

A win over #1 overall and the team that's won 3 of 4 and probably 4 of 5 nattys at the highest level of cfb wouldn't shock you?

Hate to break the bad news here..but kstate is looking like they're not as good of a team as a lot of people thought they would be.

You give way too much credit to FBS football and not enough credit to this years group, especially this year's seniors. It would not shock me for this senior class, along with the rest of the team, to go up against anybody and give them quite the game. And yes even pull an upset against #1.

Mayville Bison
09-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Jesus.

Do you think the 32.5 point favorites is about right? I know they are trying to get bets on both sides, but 32.5 points for two teams that play extremely sound defense is crazy! When KState started at ~17, I thought that was extremely high (I thought it would've been around 10, but understand they wouldn't get as many bets on NDSU).

WYOBISONMAN
09-24-2013, 02:19 PM
You give way too much credit to FBS football and not enough credit to this years group, especially this year's seniors. It would not shock me for this senior class, along with the rest of the team, to go up against anybody and give them quite the game. And yes even pull an upset against #1.

I dunno.......I think your glasses may have a tinge of green and gold..... ;)

westnodak93bison
09-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Does anyone think NDSU would be out coached by any FBS team? I don't.

WYOBISONMAN
09-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Does anyone think NDSU would be out coached by any FBS team? I don't.

Probably not, but there are more than a few coaches at top schools that would coach as well as Bohl. After that it gets down to your stable of horses.

westnodak93bison
09-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Probably not, but there are more than a few coaches at top schools that would coach as well as Bohl. After that it gets down to your stable of horses.

Agree, and many of the "horses" don't have the discipline to take a Bison team seriously. Next thing you know "we have a ball game" then anything can happen.

HerdBot
09-24-2013, 03:30 PM
I read the headline... "Transvestite Properties."

CAS4127
09-24-2013, 03:37 PM

Did you mean "Fat Transvestite Properties"?!?!? :confused:

bisonmike2
09-24-2013, 03:38 PM

Not judging...:innocent:

mnriverbison
09-24-2013, 03:40 PM

Jesus Christ. This is how Bison fans get a bad name. KSU is in an awful down year, just like most of our signature FBS wins. Those games are fun and they are amazing commentary on the quality of this program given the inherent advantages of those programs, but for God's sake you cannot extrapolate those results to death. Does anybody out there really believe that Bama treats its cup cake games the way they play A & M or Auburn? Or that KSU played their Super Bowl against us? This is absolute insanity and I'm glad to see that most of the posters even here realize this.

mnriverbison
09-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Agree, and many of the "horses" don't have the discipline to take a Bison team seriously. Next thing you know "we have a ball game" then anything can happen.

Honest question. We played a nose-nose game with KSU, who just lost to an awful Texas team. How much do you think Bama beats Texas by this year? 30? 40? This is madness.

bri-dog
09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Before the flaming starts,

Jesus Christ. This is how Bison fans get a bad name. KSU is in an awful down year, just like most of our signature FBS wins. Those games are fun and they are amazing commentary on the quality of this program given the inherent advantages of those programs, but for God's sake you cannot extrapolate those results to death. Does anybody out there really believe that Bama treats its cup cake games the way they play A & M or Auburn? Or that KSU played their Super Bowl against us? This is absolute insanity and I'm glad to see that most of the posters even here realize this.

Okay, the flaming has now started.:duel:

Honest question. We played a nose-nose game with KSU, who just lost to an awful Texas team. How much do you think Bama beats Texas by this year? 30? 40? This is madness.

This is Bisonville.:biggrin:

runtheoption
09-24-2013, 03:56 PM
NDSU - 52.
Alabama Crimson flipping Tide - 10.

amirite?

stevdock
09-24-2013, 06:01 PM

I don't disagree with anything you just said. Do go back and read what I said and you will not see that I guaranteed a win or anything like that. All I said was give our players some credit who play as a team and always do what's best for the TEAM. I truly understand that we won't have as much God-given talent, but we will be playing as a team, where as alot of FBS schools have to deal with the individual crap.

Do also realize that we were about 3 plays away from winning by 3 TD's instead of barely winning against KSU. I get you've got to make the plays, but that could have been a blowout instead of a tight game. Similar to the first Gopher win. By stats we probably should have won by at least a couple TD's there too, instead of needing a roughing the punter penalty.

344Johnson
09-24-2013, 06:08 PM
I don't disagree with anything you just said. Do go back and read what I said and you will not see that I guaranteed a win or anything like that. All I said was give our players some credit who play as a team and always do what's best for the TEAM. I truly understand that we won't have as much God-given talent, but we will be playing as a team, where as alot of FBS schools have to deal with the individual crap.

Do also realize that we were about 3 plays away from winning by 3 TD's instead of barely winning against KSU. I get you've got to make the plays, but that could have been a blowout instead of a tight game. Similar to the first Gopher win. By stats we probably should have won by at least a couple TD's there too, instead of needing a roughing the punter penalty.

The really good FBS teams either play as a team or have the individual talent to get away with it...or they have both. We don't have the horses to run against some of them.

MNLonghorn10
09-24-2013, 06:13 PM

Lmao. Ok you keep thinking like that. Im also a realist, and not lumping Alabama with Colorado St, Minnesota and KState.

Ndsu, to me, is rated about 33-45 overall in the country. Those teams usually get slaughtered by the #1 overall team.

MNLonghorn10
09-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Do you think the 32.5 point favorites is about right? I know they are trying to get bets on both sides, but 32.5 points for two teams that play extremely sound defense is crazy! When KState started at ~17, I thought that was extremely high (I thought it would've been around 10, but understand they wouldn't get as many bets on NDSU).

Id say its a few points high...Id imagine Bama winning 47 something to 17something

MNLonghorn10
09-24-2013, 06:17 PM

So how many of the top teams in the country that the Bison have faced against are you basing this off of? Because i know the number is 0 so you're just basing your "facts" on homer biased opinion.

Mayville Bison
09-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Lmao. Ok you keep thinking like that. Im also a realist, and not lumping Alabama with Colorado St, Minnesota and KState.

Ndsu, to me, is rated about 33-45 overall in the country. Those teams usually get slaughtered by the #1 overall team.

And yet you are pushing for a move to FBS? If there's absolutely no way for our best team ever to come anywhere close to the #1 team in the country, why would you want to make that move? No, we aren't always going to win every year, but to never have a chance again seems ridiculously stupid.

Id say its a few points high...Id imagine Bama winning 47 something to 17something

I guess I don't see that big of a difference between BCS conferences and top tier FCS. The line at 25 would get bets on both sides. Anything north of 28 isn't going to get many bets for Alabama in my opinion.

heffray
09-24-2013, 06:58 PM
There are a couple different questions here:

-How well would this year's team do against Bama?
-Should we want to play Bama now? Why or why not?

I really don't have any idea how we would do against Bama, maybe a blowout, maybe a close game, maybe something inbetween those. It's impossible to know and anyone who says otherwise is wrong (even those who pick the safe route of saying we would get absolutely rolled).

Either way, it is a game I would still like to see, because I would like to see how we really stack up.

MNLonghorn10
09-24-2013, 07:06 PM
And yet you are pushing for a move to FBS? If there's absolutely no way for our best team ever to come anywhere close to the #1 team in the country, why would you want to make that move? No, we aren't always going to win every year, but to never have a chance again seems ridiculously stupid.

I guess I don't see that big of a difference between BCS conferences and top tier FCS. The line at 25 would get bets on both sides. Anything north of 28 isn't going to get many bets for Alabama in my opinion.

You forgot about the part where I said the big 5 conferences will make their own championship and ndsu moves up to a smaller fbs conference

Mayville Bison
09-24-2013, 07:15 PM
You forgot about the part where I said the big 5 conferences will make their own championship and ndsu moves up to a smaller fbs conference

I didn't forget that part. I just want to wait until that happens because if we move next year, we could have 5 years of meaningless football by the time they figure out what they are doing.

That being said, I agree with heffray - it's fun to argue especially since no one has any real way of knowing unless the teams met on the field

westnodak93bison
09-24-2013, 08:02 PM
So how many of the top teams in the country that the Bison have faced against are you basing this off of? Because i know the number is 0 so you're just basing your "facts" on homer biased opinion.

Same number of top teams you are basing your opinion on.

MNLonghorn10
09-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Same number of top teams you are basing your opinion on.

because historically, the FBS teams NDSU has gone on to beat have had successful seasons? Thats what im basing my opinion on.

GOB1SON
09-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Why? Obama ranks last in the SEC and about 90th in rushing. Their defense is nothing like it was last year.

Now this I would pay to see.

NDSUBowler
09-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Agree with this.

KSU -17.5 was a joke of a line and me grabbing it at 13 and 14 still had a ton of value.

If NDSU was 32.5 pt dogs, I would probably bet on NDSU still...I'd guess 27-28 is a more reasonable line.

*The above is total speculation and I have nothing to back it up*

heffray
09-25-2013, 05:58 PM
because historically, the FBS teams NDSU has gone on to beat have had successful seasons? Thats what im basing my opinion on.

Central Michigan.

MNLonghorn10
09-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Central Michigan.

Is there a real distinct difference between winning the mvfc and the mac?

Mayville Bison
09-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Is there a real distinct difference between winning the mvfc and the mac?

You mean besides the millions of dollars Northern Illinois got last year of course

MNLonghorn10
09-25-2013, 06:40 PM
You mean besides the millions of dollars Northern Illinois got last year of course

Rofl. You mean the same northern Illinois who have away free tickets to the Orange bowl?

Mayville Bison
09-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Rofl. You mean the same northern Illinois who have away free tickets to the Orange bowl?

Touche :)

AjaxTheMighty
09-25-2013, 11:16 PM
The FBS-leg humpers on here have been saying for years that NDSU couldn't compete with the big boys because of the difference in scholarships, athleticism, depth, coaching, uniforms, hair-styles, good looking girlfriends, supportive mommas, child support payments, and the list goes on. Yet each year the stakes get higher and NDSU continues to win. You would think Alabama starts 14 players on both sides of the ball. A game between the two would be closer than you think. The reason this is true is because we have a coaching staff made up of the football equivalent of genetic engineers mixed with a little 80s rock star! They know how to win and you might call it drinking the Kool-Aid or what-have-you, but I will say you have no evidence that this team wouldn't make it a game. We have to hear from the hockey fans up north that our FBS wins are in every schools down year, now we have to hear it from you. Man, shut up! Our coaches and players know the code to winning. You can only play 11 players at a time. We have some NFL caliber talent right now so I don't see this big gap the FBS-leg humpers see. I just don't. Let's just say I concede that Bama would beat NDSU. That is one FBS team, I don't see many more that I would give the auto-win to. How many do you see?
And to those of you who don't like the topic. Don't read this stuff if you don't like it instead of whining about how dumb it is. I'll remind you that this is a message board. If you don't like stupid topics, go get on facebook and read your neighbors posts about how much laundry there is to do. Maybe you can find what you are looking for there. Or better yet go eat an orange. I heard that is the only method of...wait...different topic.

MNLonghorn10
09-25-2013, 11:34 PM
It's not kool aid..it's lunacy. The stakes get higher??

Each fbs team ndsus beaten has gone on to forgettable seasons. There's no denying this. Kstate is also on their way after losing to a Texas team that too isn't very good..and kstate never loses to Texas.

It is what it is..ndsu will probably have two guys drafted and maybe a few that get invites...but going up against superstar teams loaded with 5* studs everywhere is just and thinking you have a chance because of fbs history is unbelievably irate.

Just enjoy what ndsu has done with what's given to them because it can't get much better than where they're at

IzzyFlexion
09-26-2013, 01:26 AM

Each fbs team ndsus beaten has gone on to forgettable seasons. There's no denying this. Kstate is also on their way after losing to a Texas team that too isn't very good..and kstate never loses to Texas.

It is what it is..ndsu will probably have two guys drafted and maybe a few that get invites...but going up against superstar teams loaded with 5* studs everywhere is just and thinking you have a chance because of fbs history is unbelievably irate.

Just enjoy what ndsu has done with what's given to them because it can't get much better than where they're at

Allow me to stir the pot with this.............just for fun, of course.
There is a school of thought that thinks that perhaps the teams that the Bison beat early in the season are embarrassed and demoralized to the point that they go into a tailspin that they never come out of.

goldenshower
09-26-2013, 01:59 AM
The FBS-leg humpers on here have been saying for years that NDSU couldn't compete with the big boys because of the difference in scholarships, athleticism, depth, coaching, uniforms, hair-styles, good looking girlfriends, supportive mommas, child support payments, and the list goes on. Yet each year the stakes get higher and NDSU continues to win. You would think Alabama starts 14 players on both sides of the ball. A game between the two would be closer than you think. The reason this is true is because we have a coaching staff made up of the football equivalent of genetic engineers mixed with a little 80s rock star! They know how to win and you might call it drinking the Kool-Aid or what-have-you, but I will say you have no evidence that this team wouldn't make it a game. We have to hear from the hockey fans up north that our FBS wins are in every schools down year, now we have to hear it from you. Man, shut up! Our coaches and players know the code to winning. You can only play 11 players at a time. We have some NFL caliber talent right now so I don't see this big gap the FBS-leg humpers see. I just don't. Let's just say I concede that Bama would beat NDSU. That is one FBS team, I don't see many more that I would give the auto-win to. How many do you see?
And to those of you who don't like the topic. Don't read this stuff if you don't like it instead of whining about how dumb it is. I'll remind you that this is a message board. If you don't like stupid topics, go get on facebook and read your neighbors posts about how much laundry there is to do. Maybe you can find what you are looking for there. Or better yet go eat an orange. I heard that is the only method of...wait...different topic.

could you please jump on the alabama board and bring this topic up...i would love to read the reactions that their fanbase would have!!!

here is the link:
http://alabama.247sports.com/Board/Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Message-Board-Forum-116

i will find other links like oregon, ohio st, LSU, etc etc

TateMosersneighbor
09-26-2013, 02:42 AM
NDSU - 52.
Alabama Crimson flipping Tide - 10.

amirite?

Jeez, no way Bama would score 10 on us. They probably wouldn't even cross midfield until the 3rd quarter. Bama would be awestruck with the dome and wet the bed at the days inn the night before the game

AjaxTheMighty
09-26-2013, 03:55 AM
could you please jump on the alabama board and bring this topic up...i would love to read the reactions that their fanbase would have!!!

here is the link:
http://alabama.247sports.com/Board/Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Message-Board-Forum-116

i will find other links like oregon, ohio st, LSU, etc etc

I have a better idea..since I don't go on other teams message boards like you do. Why don't you hop on Bama's message board and introduce yourself and your cute little team (with a link for proof - they most likely haven't heard of the Goophs) and tell them what conference your squad plays in (again, provide that link for proof - Big 10 will sound far fetched). Tell them about your conference championsh....um, about the real live cheerleaders, Tailgating, etc. See what they say! Send my regards from NDSU. They probably saw us on TV on Saturday.

MNLonghorn10
09-26-2013, 04:04 AM
I have a better idea..since I don't go on other teams message boards like you do. Why don't you hop on Bama's message board and introduce yourself and your cute little team (with a link for proof - they most likely haven't heard of the Goophs) and tell them what conference your squad plays in (again, provide that link for proof - Big 10 will sound far fetched). Tell them about your conference championsh....um, about the real live cheerleaders, Tailgating, etc. See what they say! Send my regards from NDSU. They probably saw us on TV on Saturday.

:facepalm: pretty weak bro.

Mayville Bison
09-26-2013, 01:01 PM
:facepalm: pretty weak bro.

I thought it was a decent jab at the gophs. Not great, but 6 outta 10 material

goldenshower
09-26-2013, 01:14 PM

Well I could just talk about the last loss they had in a bowl game was vs Minnesota. And by saying that in no way do I think the gophers could beat Alabama, bama would be a 4 td favorite. They didn't see your game Saturday but probably saw minnesota's game since we were on tv.

Mayville Bison
09-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Well I could just talk about the last loss they had in a bowl game was vs Minnesota. And by saying that in no way do I think the gophers could beat Alabama, bama would be a 4 td favorite. They didn't see your game Saturday but probably saw minnesota's game since we were on tv.

So you think the Gophs would be less of an underdog than NDSU? I'd guess they would be 35.5 dogs since NDSU is 32.5

goldenshower
09-26-2013, 01:24 PM
So you think the Gophs would be less of an underdog than NDSU? I'd guess they would be 35.5 dogs since NDSU is 32.5

I think ndsu and the gophers would be very similar in the spread. If you want to tack on a couple field goals go for it. Alabama could pick the score vs either Minnesota or ndsu. It's not an insult it's just Alabama has been that good

MNLonghorn10
09-26-2013, 01:26 PM

You're telling me they don't get nbc nd in t-town

Jude3
09-26-2013, 01:26 PM

I don't really wanna get involved in this stupid argument but Alabama's last bowl loss was actually to Utah in the 2008 sugar bowl.

goldenshower
09-26-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't really wanna get involved in this stupid argument but Alabama's last bowl loss was actually to Utah in the 2008 sugar bowl.

Damn, sorry I blew up then, I thought it was 2
04 to minnesota. Thanks for correcting

Mayville Bison
09-26-2013, 01:30 PM

I think he meant the last Gohps bowl game win which was in 1948

goldenshower
09-26-2013, 01:34 PM
I think he meant the last Gohps bowl game win which was in 1948

Ouch, you're good at the insults!

Jude3
09-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Damn, sorry I blew up then, I thought it was 2
04 to minnesota. Thanks for correcting

The way they've been winning, it kinda feels like it's been that long ago.

heffray
09-26-2013, 05:56 PM

I don't think the word "irate" has the same transitive properties to "crazy" as the word "mad" does, longhorn...

AjaxTheMighty
09-26-2013, 06:35 PM

I actually said "they probably saw US on TV". I didn't say anything about the NDSU game. I'm sure they get ESPN down there in the south though...so anyway......once again......I'm sure a bunch of them saw "us" on Saturday. I also never said NDSU would beat BAMA. I said I don't think they would put a beat down on us as bad as MNLonghorn thinks. I think the Bison are that good. (I know you hate that horny) I also think if the Bison played the current Goophs 10 times NDSU would win 9 of them with our current team.

goldenshower
09-26-2013, 08:00 PM
I actually said "they probably saw US on TV". I didn't say anything about the NDSU game. I'm sure they get ESPN down there in the south though...so anyway......once again......I'm sure a bunch of them saw "us" on Saturday. I also never said NDSU would beat BAMA. I said I don't think they would put a beat down on us as bad as MNLonghorn thinks. I think the Bison are that good. (I know you hate that horny) I also think if the Bison played the current Goophs 10 times NDSU would win 9 of them with our current team.

Alabama could pick the score they wanted vs the bison. If anyone thinks Alabama fans are impressed by anyone but themselves they are sorely mistaken. As for the gophers vs the bison I think the gophers win this year. But whatever this really wasn't a Minnesota vs ndsu thing. I just think many of these bison fans that think ndsu would give Alabama a game haven't watched much college football outside of the fargo done. Alabama has a roster of future nfl talent, ndsu has 2-3 players with nfl talent. Oh well, I'm done now since many will try to make this into a gopher vs bison thing when that really has nothing to do with Alabama

CaBisonFan
09-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Alabama could pick the score they wanted vs the bison. If anyone thinks Alabama fans are impressed by anyone but themselves they are sorely mistaken. As for the gophers vs the bison I think the gophers win this year. But whatever this really wasn't a Minnesota vs ndsu thing. I just think many of these bison fans that think ndsu would give Alabama a game haven't watched much college football outside of the fargo done. Alabama has a roster of future nfl talent, ndsu has 2-3 players with nfl talent. Oh well, I'm done now since many will try to make this into a gopher vs bison thing when that really has nothing to do with Alabama

I'm not an advocate of playing the elite FBS teams like Alabama. I'd put Oregon, Ohio State, LSU, Stanford, and a few others on that list. The Gophers have played reasonably well against some average teams. Seems to be improvement at QB this past week. We would lose to Alabama...but the point spread wouldn't be as much as you'd think. Still...I don't want to play them. It would be a 60 point game if MN played them...a track meet for Alabama. Our defense is better than Minnesota's...substantially.

AjaxTheMighty
09-26-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm not an advocate of playing the elite FBS teams like Alabama. I'd put Oregon, Ohio State, LSU, Stanford, and a few others on that list. The Gophers have played reasonably well against some average teams. Seems to be improvement at QB this past week. We would lose to Alabama...but the point spread wouldn't be as much as you'd think. Still...I don't want to play them. It would be a 60 point game if MN played them...a track meet for Alabama. Our defense is better than Minnesota's...substantially.

:) :nod:

Agree!!

MNLonghorn10
09-26-2013, 11:25 PM
I dont hate that you think the Bison are good, you're the one who's choosing to look like a homer fool.

NDSU would have a better chance at winning in Minnesota this year than Minnesota would have chance at winning in the Fargodome, with NDSU being the favorites in either game, according the Vegas.

Both would get smoked by Bama.

IzzyFlexion
09-26-2013, 11:37 PM

It's so easy to say that when The Herd isn't on the schedule isn't it?

Furthermore, you're welcome to think anything that you wish.

Here's what I think..............

I think that you're out of your f*cking mind. Bison by 12-15.

AjaxTheMighty
09-27-2013, 01:29 AM
I dont hate that you think the Bison are good, you're the one who's choosing to look like a homer fool.

NDSU would have a better chance at winning in Minnesota this year than Minnesota would have chance at winning in the Fargodome, with NDSU being the favorites in either game, according the Vegas.

I placed parentheses in the wrong spot. You hate when anyone compares FCS schools as competitive with FBS(?) or maybe just the upper eschelon, something like that.

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2013, 01:39 AM
I placed parentheses in the wrong spot. You hate when anyone compares FCS schools as competitive with FBS(?) or maybe just the upper eschelon, something like that.

NDSU's good. Good enough to beat some of the ranked teams, IMO. they should've beaten Kstate by more than they did. That said, when you separate the top teams in FBS from the other ranked teams..its a whole nother level of whoop ass.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-27-2013, 02:07 AM

Not a chance in hell. If we played 10 times, we win 10 times.

That's what I love about you gopher fans, you wouldn't know good football team if it bit you in the ass. You'll win a few games in the Big this year only because the Big is terrible from top to bottom, and yes, I am including Ohio State. OSU is the most overrated team in college football this year.

56BISON73
09-27-2013, 02:18 AM

The games were one year apart. Dont see how there could be any comparisons.

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2013, 02:36 AM
Not a chance in hell. If we played 10 times, we win 10 times.

That's what I love about you gopher fans, you wouldn't know good football team if it bit you in the ass. You'll win a few games in the Big this year only because the Big is terrible from top to bottom, and yes, I am including Ohio State. OSU is the most overrated team in college football this year.

really dude? Lets not put MN with the likes of Ferris, Delaware St, Austin peay etc.

heffray
09-27-2013, 02:40 AM

Just stating for the record that the above is an opinion... Opinion.

Lets look at some common opponents, not of NDSU, of some upper echelon teams:

Last year Alabama and Texas A&M had at least one common opponent before they faced off at the end of the year: Ole Miss, they went 7-6. Alabama and Texas A&M played Ole Miss in back to back weeks. Alabama won by 19. A&M won by 3 and were behind at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Somehow, this A&M team was barely able to beat an average FBS team (a team many on here would probably agree that the Bison would beat).

We all know what happened at the end of the year. A&M beat Alabama. So what does this mean?

Shocker. It means about the same as Longhorn saying "Both would get smoked by Bama." Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Point spreads and common opponents give you an idea of what could happen. But they haven't played the game. I happen to think that the evidence points to a closer game. Others feel otherwise. No one is right.

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2013, 02:47 AM
Just stating for the record that the above is an opinion... Opinion.

Lets look at some common opponents, not of NDSU, of some upper echelon teams:

Last year Alabama and Texas A&M had at least one common opponent before they faced off at the end of the year: Ole Miss, they went 7-6. Alabama and Texas A&M played Ole Miss in back to back weeks. Alabama won by 19. A&M won by 3 and were behind at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Somehow, this A&M team was barely able to beat an average FBS team (a team many on here would probably agree that the Bison would beat).

We all know what happened at the end of the year. A&M beat Alabama. So what does this mean?

Shocker. It means about the same as Longhorn saying "Both would get smoked by Bama." Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Point spreads and common opponents give you an idea of what could happen. But they haven't played the game. I happen to think that the evidence points to a closer game. Others feel otherwise. No one is right.
thats a lot of words without saying something with ANY substance. Especially when you bring up both Bama/A&M BEATING ole miss. The hell?

http://www.myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com/default.asp?winner=N+Dakota+St&loser=Alabama&year=2013&method=2#.UkTxfIZQEbN

there. End of argument for this stupid topic.

heffray
09-27-2013, 03:00 AM
thats a lot of words without saying something with ANY substance. Especially when you bring up both Bama/A&M BEATING ole miss. The hell?

http://www.myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com/default.asp?winner=N+Dakota+St&loser=Alabama&year=2013&method=2#.UkTxfIZQEbN

there. End of argument for this stupid topic.

Nice little website. How long did that take you to set up? That's a lot of work to put in on such a stupid topic...

I used outcomes of 3 games to prove that predicting the outcomes of another game based on common opponents doesn't work. That's what we are all doing here, and that's why when you "so boldly" take your stance on the stats and "facts" of "how much better they clearly are than us," it doesn't mean anything. Sure, it's easy to do. But go on, take the easy route. I could not care less.

Its just like Creationism vs Evolution: We are all looking at the same evidence, it's our worldview that is this affecting the way we look at the evidence and the conclusion we draw from it.

There, how's that for some substance? Or was that too much for you to follow along this time?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-27-2013, 03:06 AM
really dude? Lets not put MN with the likes of Ferris, Delaware St, Austin peay etc.

OK, we win 10 times if we play in Fargo, 9 times if we split the locations.

The Gophers aren't any better than they were last year. However, they may win this weekend only because Iowa is equally as bad as the Gophers.

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2013, 03:08 AM
Nice little website. How long did that take you to set up? That's a lot of work to put in on such a stupid topic...

I used outcomes of 3 games to prove that predicting the outcomes of another game based on common opponents doesn't work. That's what we are all doing here, and that's why when you "so boldly" take your stance on the stats and "facts" of "how much better they clearly are than us," it doesn't mean anything. Sure, it's easy to do. But go on, take the easy route. I could not care less.

Its just like Creationism vs Evolution: We are all looking at the same evidence, it's our worldview that is this affecting the way we look at the evidence and the conclusion we draw from it.

There, how's that for some substance? Or was that too much for you to follow along this time?
Actually that sites just for shits and giggles, Im surprised you've never seen it. Its been used here before.

your second paragraph is exactly the opposite of the point of this thread. This thread was created because of NDSU's game with CSU last year and Bamas with CUS this year, that a game between NDSU & Bama would be "interesting".

How do you think NDSU would do in a game against Alabama? you know where I stand.

Its pretty much deemed impossible to change the minds of those so blind wearing Green & gold glasses, so i dont even know why I bother debating when the rest of the country would think you're foolish....even some NDSU fans.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2013, 03:15 AM
....timeout....

heffray
09-27-2013, 03:23 AM
Actually that sites just for shits and giggles, Im surprised you've never seen it. Its been used here before.

your second paragraph is exactly the opposite of the point of this thread. This thread was created because of NDSU's game with CSU last year and Bamas with CUS this year, that a game between NDSU & Bama would be "interesting".

How do you think NDSU would do in a game against Alabama? you know where I stand.

Its pretty much deemed impossible to change the minds of those so blind wearing Green & gold glasses, so i dont even know why I bother debating when the rest of the country would think you're foolish....even some NDSU fans.

Let me see if I'm following you...

1. I haven't read everything on Bisonville... whoa....

2. If a point I make is the opposite of the point of this thread, then it isn't allowed?

3. I think my opinion is pretty clear too, insomuch as I wouldn't be surprised either way.

4. Then don't. Quit whining about it and get off this thread. No one is making you argue with us, and frankly, you're not doing a very good job of it.

There is a lot of irony going on here. The vastly popular opinion is that Alabama would CRUSH the Bison. It's an easy opinion to align yourself with, and so you get no points. Then you starting calling people crazy or stupid for thinking that it would be less than a crushing, and well, that's my opportunity to come in and eviscerate you with pointed remarks and try to make you feel stupid. It may not be working, but I won't let up on this point. You are not right. We who believe that it would not be a route are not stupid. You are incorrect and there is no way you can prove your point. I win.

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2013, 03:30 AM
Not doing a very good job arguing because Im on the vastly popular opinion side discussing an imaginary game with a bunch of blind homers? LOL.

I didn't call anyone stupid once. I've said foolish.

I can't prove any thing for an imaginary game. You're right. And I think MSUM would beat NDSU. in football for 2013. So you lose now.

heffray
09-27-2013, 03:52 AM
Not doing a very good job arguing because Im on the vastly popular opinion side discussing an imaginary game with a bunch of blind homers? LOL.

I didn't call anyone stupid once. I've said foolish.

I can't prove any thing for an imaginary game. You're right. And I think MSUM would beat NDSU. in football for 2013. So you lose now.

I think you should change that to your sig line. That's a great line.

Is this the game now? Something rational followed up with something outlandish? Let me try... Ok ok, in response to "You're right" (a very rational statement), I say the following:

You're clearly a diehard Bison fan.

HAHA, oh man, i know i know....

OK ok ok... this is too fun, let's keep playing, your turn.

tjamz
09-27-2013, 03:53 AM
Would a moderator please close this thread? Please? If Bama prepared for us like they prepare for the rest of their schedule it would be over in the 1st quarter. By the 3rd quarter it would just be ugly.

But hey, why stop at Bama? Why not the Vikings? Packers? 49ers? Seahawks? Patriots? Each of those teams has as many early round draft picks as Bama will produce this year (ok, that might be an exaggeration, but you get the point)

heffray
09-27-2013, 03:55 AM
Would a moderator please close this thread? Please? If Bama prepared for us like they prepare for the rest of their schedule it would be over in the 1st quarter. By the 3rd quarter it would just be ugly.

But hey, why stop at Bama? Why not the Vikings? Packers? 49ers? Seahawks? Patriots? Each of those teams has as many early round draft picks as Bama will produce this year (ok, that might be an exaggeration, but you get the point)

And by the same logic you should change your sig line to "I think MSUM would beat NDSU. in football for 2013." And be sure to keep the prepositional phrase as a sentence fragment, it adds to the overall aesthetic of the idea.

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2013, 04:13 AM

Haha. welcome to the halfway house.

Heffray is keeping us busy tonight. whoever forgot to get him his stray jacket is fired!

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2013, 04:15 AM
I think you should change that to your sig line. That's a great line.

Is this the game now? Something rational followed up with something outlandish? Let me try... Ok ok, in response to "You're right" (a very rational statement), I say the following:

You're clearly a diehard Bison fan.

HAHA, oh man, i know i know....

OK ok ok... this is too fun, let's keep playing, your turn.

This whole thread is a freaking game if you can tell. Its more of a game than NDSU/Bama will ever be. you've snapped...or take this way way way WAY too close to heart. The sun will rise tomorrow, and NDSU would still get clobbered by Bama.

BadlandsBison
09-27-2013, 04:18 AM
This whole thread is a freaking game if you can tell. Its more of a game than NDSU/Bama will ever be. you've snapped...or take this way way way WAY too close to heart. The sun will rise tomorrow, and NDSU would still get clobbered by Bama.

Here's an important question. When Bohl gets hired at Nebraska or the Winnipeg Blue Bombers after this season, does NDSU hire Mack Brown?

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2013, 04:20 AM
Here's an important question. When Bohl gets hired at Nebraska or the Winnipeg Blue Bombers after this season, does NDSU hire Mack Brown?
Is there enough butter in ND to brush his teeth with?

tjamz
09-27-2013, 04:21 AM

No, not since the big dairy buyout program of 1986.

heffray
09-27-2013, 04:23 AM

...and that is still an opinion.

Also, the sun rises from OUR perspective, but really it's not moving at all, it's just the rotation of the earth AROUND the sun that gives it the perspective of rising. I'm surprised you didn't know that--wait... am I?

BadlandsBison
09-27-2013, 04:26 AM

I'll spot the butter costs as long as Mack admits the letter D is an actual letter. And that hipster needs a haircut

tjamz
09-27-2013, 04:49 AM
...and that is still an opinion.

Also, the sun rises from OUR perspective, but really it's not moving at all, it's just the rotation of the earth AROUND the sun that gives it the perspective of rising. I'm surprised you didn't know that--wait... am I?

Actually, the sun (along with all celestial bodies) do move in relation to the rest of the celestial bodies in the universe. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

tjamz
09-27-2013, 05:00 AM
In further observation of your statement you mentioned that it's the rotation of the earth AROUND the sun that gives it the perspective of rising. That is factually incorrect. The earth moving around the sun is in fact what we commonly refer to as a year. The amount of time the earth takes to spin on it's axis is a day and it is this spinning that actually makes it appear as if the sun is rising. Good try though.

Mayville Bison
09-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Angel on my left shoulder: "Don't do it, don't bump the thread"
Devil on my right shoulder: "You really want to see how this plays out"
Angel: "The thread has derailed and you should let it die"
Devil: "But it's so fun seeing people argue over something that will never happen"
Angel: "Oh f@#k it, just bump the damn thread. This could be good"

tjamz
09-27-2013, 02:18 PM
There's supposed to be an angel on one of my shoulders? Son-Of-A-Bitch! Where did I lose him I wonder?

/checks couch cushions and glove box of car

heffray
09-27-2013, 02:21 PM
In further observation of your statement you mentioned that it's the rotation of the earth AROUND the sun that gives it the perspective of rising. That is factually incorrect. The earth moving around the sun is in fact what we commonly refer to as a year. The amount of time the earth takes to spin on it's axis is a day and it is this spinning that actually makes it appear as if the sun is rising. Good try though.

You're factually incorrect.

KSBisonFan
09-27-2013, 02:24 PM
There's supposed to be an angel on one of my shoulders? Son-Of-A-Bitch! Where did I lose him I wonder?

/checks couch cushions and glove box of car

The gas station?

tjamz
09-27-2013, 02:26 PM
You're factually incorrect.

Wait.. what?

tjamz
09-27-2013, 02:28 PM
The gas station?

Probably. He's probably on the ground next to my Duran Duran tape that got jammed in my tape deck back in the day

heffray
09-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Wait.. what?

Your mom is factually incorrect. Just kidding.

My inability to clearly articulate the physics that cause days, nights, and years, though embarrassing, don't totally detract from my points about not the fact that you guys are not right about the imaginary Bama game.

tjamz
09-27-2013, 03:04 PM
The thing is we'll never know for certain and we can go back and forth on the name calling and jokes and neither of us will ever change the mind of the other.

Mods I think it's time to put teh locks on this one.

goldenshower
09-27-2013, 03:08 PM
The thing is we'll never know for certain and we can go back and forth on the name calling and jokes and neither of us will ever change the mind of the other.

Mods I think it's time to put teh locks on this one.

Please keep this thread going, it has brought so much joy to my life. I have been sharing this thread with many many people. It's awesome!!!

tjamz
09-27-2013, 03:26 PM
IDK, basically there are 2.5 people on here who think we could win and many more that know we couldn't. And just because we can't/wouldn't win doesn't make NDSU a bad team. We have a great team, one that could win against many fbs schools, I just don't believe we could play with the elites and expect to win.

EricB
09-27-2013, 03:32 PM

You can't be serious?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-27-2013, 04:40 PM
In before the lock.

BTW, this thread is HOF worthy.

thebootfitter
09-27-2013, 04:52 PM
You can't be serious?
About what, specifically?

That the Alabama vs CSU score was similar to ours? Oh, yes, I'm quite serious.

That I think we could learn a lot from having an actual match up on the field rather than arguing about hypothetical situations? Yes, I'm quite serious about that too.

Do I think NDSU would win? Nope. I highly doubt that. I would put the chances at far less than 1%. Alabama would have to have a terrible game and NDSU would have to play perfectly. We would be outmatched at pretty much every position.

Do I think it would be a blow out? Maybe. Maybe not. Look, Georgia Southern played them a couple years ago. Score at the half was 24-14. End of 3, it was 38-21. Final was 45-21. Georgia Southern lost handily. There wasn't ever much doubt about who was in control, but they had a respectable showing. We've proven we can play with and beat Georgia Southern teams. Why anyone would think that we would fare so poorly against Alabama when GSU did alright is beyond me.

Not sure why anyone wouldn't want to see the game. I know the players wouldn't back down if the game were on the schedule. I know the players would go into the game thinking that it is winnable. They would give it their best shot and not leave anything on the field.

Edited: Oh, and the coaching staff would have the players prepared. (They'd still very likely lose, but it wouldn't be for deficiencies in coaching, preparation, fundamentals or effort.)

thebootfitter
09-27-2013, 05:21 PM
This thread drifted a lot more than I had hoped. A bit more flaming than I had hoped too. I guess it is to be expected. But I don't think the topic is absurd at all.

The core question here is simply this: How much better is/are the very best FBS team(s) than the very best FCS team(s)?

We've seen some match ups recently that have given us some indication... SHSU vs Texas A&M, SHSU vs Baylor last year, GSU vs Alabama in 2011, etc. But we haven't seen this NDSU team against a truly top tier FBS team. I had high hopes for the K-State game, but I don't think they can be considered top tier FBS this year.

I don't think asking the question about how we truly stack up is absurd. Why wouldn't we want to answer that?

tjamz
09-27-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't think asking the question about how we truly stack up is absurd. Why wouldn't we want to answer that?

That isn't an absurd question and I think you were fair in your statements about it. However since there isn't an NDSU vs Bama game on the schedule in the foreseeable future the absolute best we can do is let the computers (Sagarin/Massey) make a prediction on it (I'm pretty sure they are much better suited to do so than a bunch of homers on a local message board). Running the game on this simulator (http://nationalsportsrankings.com/index.php?option=com_oneonone) yielded an Alabama win 100% of the time w/ an average margin of victory of 35 points. Now, some will point out the NDSU v KSU says on that the same simulator that KSU wins 87% of the time.... but only by 9 points. 9 points is a close game in my opinion and can go either way. 35 is pretty decisive and a LOT of things need to happen good for NDSU AND bad for Bama to overcome that I believe.

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2013, 05:56 PM
This thread drifted a lot more than I had hoped. A bit more flaming than I had hoped too. I guess it is to be expected. But I don't think the topic is absurd at all.

The core question here is simply this: How much better is/are the very best FBS team(s) than the very best FCS team(s)?

We've seen some match ups recently that have given us some indication... SHSU vs Texas A&M, SHSU vs Baylor last year, GSU vs Alabama in 2011, etc. But we haven't seen this NDSU team against a truly top tier FBS team. I had high hopes for the K-State game, but I don't think they can be considered top tier FBS this year.

Depends where the game is being played at. an top FCS team beating a ranked FBS team happens every so often but unfortunately for NDSU, none of the FBS teams have been ranked. They won the game..thats the absolute most you can ask.

When it comes to the very best of FBS vs the very best of FCS....Id say the gap is just about as big as NDSU from D2 teams.

Jude3
09-27-2013, 05:59 PM
While we're on the topic of false transitive extrapolations, imaginary games and what constitutes factual information, may we elucidate the following proposal to destroy all scientific thought?

Time does not exist: the present is an infinitesimal small unit of time that you can never actually reach, (much like a limit). The past relies on the present to have occurred first but since it never really can be reached the past therefore also is eradicated. The future has not happened yet so we cannot assume that it exists, ergo, future is also a figment of the imagination.

Science does not exist: scientific proof can only be proven for the "present time" (the infinitesimal period of time that doesn't really exist) or through a continual string of the infinitesimal periods of time. Example-I'm at work so I can't really prove my house still exists. It could have been destroyed by a meteor for all I know. I must go back to my place to affirm its existence. If I stay at my house tonight I will continue to prove my house exists through a string of continual infinitesimal periods of time. All things proven by science are proven for the moment and then must be continually proven for accuracy. Now many things continue to remain unchanged and many thereby assume they will remain as they once were. Since scientific proofs require the "present time" to have occurred and since that has already been destroyed we can safely declare science as we know it to be non-existent.

(For this point to be proven true, you will have to infinitely re-read this post)

BlueBisonRock
09-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Way too much cream and sugar in your morning coffee. Think limitless rather than limited...

While we're on the topic of false transitive extrapolations, imaginary games and what constitutes factual information, may we elucidate the following proposal to destroy all scientific thought?

Time does not exist: the present is an infinitesimal small unit of time that you can never actually reach, (much like a limit). The past relies on the present to have occurred first but since it never really can be reached the past therefore also is eradicated. The future has not happened yet so we cannot assume that it exists, ergo, future is also a figment of the imagination.

Science does not exist: scientific proof can only be proven for the "present time" (the infinitesimal period of time that doesn't really exist) or through a continual string of the infinitesimal periods of time. Example-I'm at work so I can't really prove my house still exists. It could have been destroyed by a meteor for all I know. I must go back to my place to affirm its existence. If I stay at my house tonight I will continue to prove my house exists through a string of continual infinitesimal periods of time. All things proven by science are proven for the moment and then must be continually proven for accuracy. Now many things continue to remain unchanged and many thereby assume they will remain as they once were. Since scientific proofs require the "present time" to have occurred and since that has already been destroyed we can safely declare science as we know it to be non-existent.

(For this point to be proven true, you will have to infinitely re-read this post)

KSBisonFan
09-27-2013, 06:06 PM

Go home, Jude3. You're drunk.

thebootfitter
09-27-2013, 06:12 PM
When it comes to the very best of FBS vs the very best of FCS....Id say the gap is just about as big as NDSU from D2 teams.
That's probably a fair assessment. Ferris State may not be the best of D2, and there was never any real doubt about the outcome of the game. But they did show that they were respectable and could move the ball on us at times. They had some individual talent that could probably play with the Bison. Pit the very best of D2 against the Bison, and the score may be a bit closer -- perhaps even with a scare as late as the third quarter -- but probably a similar feeling overall. Maybe a couple games out of a hundred could some string of circumstances make the outcome different.

Mayville Bison
09-27-2013, 06:34 PM
That isn't an absurd question and I think you were fair in your statements about it. However since there isn't an NDSU vs Bama game on the schedule in the foreseeable future the absolute best we can do is let the computers (Sagarin/Massey) make a prediction on it (I'm pretty sure they are much better suited to do so than a bunch of homers on a local message board). Running the game on this simulator (http://nationalsportsrankings.com/index.php?option=com_oneonone) yielded an Alabama win 100% of the time w/ an average margin of victory of 35 points. Now, some will point out the NDSU v KSU says on that the same simulator that KSU wins 87% of the time.... but only by 9 points. 9 points is a close game in my opinion and can go either way. 35 is pretty decisive and a LOT of things need to happen good for NDSU AND bad for Bama to overcome that I believe.

That simulator is very biased though to results to date. When I ran the same simulator during the summer months, it showed us as 20 point dogs to KState with a 90-something% chance of losing (ran it multiple times to make sure it wasn't random number generators messing things up. I wish I would've known about the site in 2007 because it would have most likely said Michigan had a 100% chance of beating App St.

That being said, if this game were ever scheduled, I would go into the game fully expecting to simply get a paycheck and that reasoning is why the game will never be played (not to mention going to the SouthEast doesn't make a lot of sense for us anyways). I don't think Bohl/Taylor would ever schedule a game just to see if we could keep the game within 20 points.

thebootfitter
09-27-2013, 06:37 PM
I don't think Bohl/Taylor would ever schedule a game just to see if we could keep the game within 20 points.
I agree. But let's say there were a top 5 FBS team in our recruiting area... ;-)

Mayville Bison
09-27-2013, 06:44 PM
I agree. But let's say there were a top 5 FBS team in our recruiting area... ;-)

You mean like KState was* at the time the game was scheduled?

*I dont know what they were ranked. I just like to be contrary to popular opinion

Mayville Bison
09-27-2013, 06:45 PM

The computer says it's possible!

Ohio St.(2013) wins 98 of 100 matchups against North Dakota St.(2013)
Projected Score: Ohio St. 37 North Dakota St. 14
Margin of Victory: 23 Points

thebootfitter
09-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Ohio St.(2013) wins 98 of 100 matchups against North Dakota St.(2013)
Projected Score: Ohio St. 37 North Dakota St. 14
Margin of Victory: 23 Points
Yeah, but the B1G doesn't schedule FCS teams anymore, right? :p

Mayville Bison
09-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Yeah, but the B1G doesn't schedule FCS teams anymore, right? :p

:rofl: Nicely done

heffray
09-27-2013, 08:21 PM
That simulator is very biased though to results to date. When I ran the same simulator during the summer months, it showed us as 20 point dogs to KState with a 90-something% chance of losing (ran it multiple times to make sure it wasn't random number generators messing things up. I wish I would've known about the site in 2007 because it would have most likely said Michigan had a 100% chance of beating App St.

That being said, if this game were ever scheduled, I would go into the game fully expecting to simply get a paycheck and that reasoning is why the game will never be played (not to mention going to the SouthEast doesn't make a lot of sense for us anyways). I don't think Bohl/Taylor would ever schedule a game just to see if we could keep the game within 20 points.

This is kind of the point I'm trying to make. Everyone on here who thinks we have a shot to make the game close is a biased homer. I'd say that history has shown us that the Sagirin/Massey computers are just as biased in the other direction, if not more.

For the record, I completely recognize that it sounds crazy that we would even have a chance against a team like Bama. I admit that when it comes to Bison Football I am a complete homer with clouded judgement. When it comes to imaginary games and predicting outcomes, I have just as much right to give you crap as you have. On this point I'll not rest, and continue to sling mud (while attempting to remain as lighthearted as possible).

CaBisonFan
09-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Here's my take on a hypothetical game with Alabama.

38-21

It would not be a mega-blowout.

But to be clear...again...I don't think that we should schedule games against the fbs elite teams. It serves no purpose for the program.

thebootfitter
09-27-2013, 08:31 PM

38-21

I'd buy that for a dollar. My guess is 'Bama would score around 30-45 points, and we'd score around 14-24 points.

coloradobison
09-27-2013, 08:59 PM

38-21

But to be clear...again...I don't think that we should schedule games against the fbs elite teams. It serves no purpose for the program.

If we need a game, and they are willing to pay $600k or more - then it might be worth it.

AjaxTheMighty
09-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Us green and gold Kool-aid drinkers do piss off the "college football know-it-alls" in these threads! It's almost as fun as when you are a little kid and you go fishing and you catch a sunny on every cast! I even got a nasty PM from someone about my opinion on this. from one who I don't recall seeing a post from on BV ever! Ha! Hey, we don't mean any harm to anyone or their families if we think the Bison could make a game of it. MNlonghorn and most of the others- you have the rational thinking here - admittingly. It's the thrill of the cast and knowing you will bite every time that makes it more interesting.

ndsubison1
09-29-2013, 06:57 AM
bama shut out a very good Ole Miss offense today

Mayville Bison
09-29-2013, 01:45 PM
bama shut out a very good Ole Miss offense today

very good because they beat Texas or squeaked one out against Vanderbilt? This is a middle of the pack SEC team

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

stevdock
09-29-2013, 02:01 PM
very good because they beat Texas or squeaked one out against Vanderbilt? This is a middle of the pack SEC team

Yeah well we shut out Delaware St and SDSU. Those have got to be better then middle of the pack SEC teams right ;)

Mayville Bison
09-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Yeah well we shut out Delaware St and SDSU. Those have got to be better then middle of the pack SEC teams right ;)

Bring on the Broncos!

CalBison97
09-29-2013, 02:28 PM
No way our defense gives up 33, or 32 for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ndsubison1
09-29-2013, 07:51 PM

so a top 25 team?