PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Glory Days

Jim_Puetz
10-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Have any of you read the Bison Media guide? There are some great quotes in there in the Postseason History section. Here are a couple of classics:

1986 Quarterfinals -- "Beano Cook of the USA Network said recently that NDSU was the 10th best team in the nation, regardless of divisions." Ashland of Ohio head coach Fred Martinelli said, "I think he's (Beano) pretty close."

1986 Semifinals -- Central State of Ohio coach Billy Joe, "The Bison have a program that's on the same level as a Division I-A team."

1986 Championship game -- (this is a classic) USD head coach Dave Triplett after losing to the Bison 27-7, "I wish to hell they would get out of Division II. They can go wherever they want."

It's great to see people making the same types of comments today about the Bison.

No_Skill
10-26-2006, 10:51 PM
WOW, good stuff. :)

TonkaBison
10-27-2006, 12:22 AM
I agree this Bison team is the best I have seen since the 80's!!! Maybe we will get invited to a bowl game!!! 8-)

99Bison
10-27-2006, 12:28 AM
+++++++++

Hammerhead
10-27-2006, 01:50 AM
Is there even a chance that a I-AA team could be invited to a bowl game?

I also seem to recall sportscasters noting that the o-line of the Bison in the mid 1980s outweighed a number of o-lines in the NFL at the time. It looked like we had more team speed than the Gophers for the most part during last week's game.

Gamehunter
10-27-2006, 02:11 AM
Some of the players are pretty fast, especially some of the defensive guys, and the linebackers in particular are just crazy. Pinnix is a quick RB even at the Big Ten level, and when he went to the outside Humber and Maresh met him in the backfield on every play. That was impressive.

99Bison
10-27-2006, 03:11 AM
Some of the players are pretty fast, especially some of the defensive guys, and the linebackers in particular are just crazy. Pinnix is a quick RB even at the Big Ten level, and when he went to the outside Humber and Maresh met him in the backfield on every play. That was impressive.

++++++++++

4mcruenomore
10-29-2006, 01:46 AM
While these kind of things make me teary eyed, and ofcourse I am a huge Bentrim fan. * WTF was wrong with NDSU at the time to not meet IAA head on, seems like the Montana schools are 20 years ahead of us. *This is when we should have went. *There is absolutely no reason why we should have been DII in the late 80's or 90's, wow!!
On a side note, I wish I had a Bentrim jersey.
Good history recall, I love our Bison!!

4mcruenomore
10-29-2006, 01:48 AM
Just think if we won DII in '86, and Simmy was playing for a IAA championship in 1990???? Doesn't anybody else think of this besides me??

semobison
10-29-2006, 12:14 PM
I thought we should have moved up after 1990! We had just won our 5th national title in 8 years, We were building the Dome, and the NCAA was cutting schollies in DII!

Wacker_in_the_Hall
10-29-2006, 03:16 PM
While these kind of things make me teary eyed, and ofcourse I am a huge Bentrim fan. * WTF was wrong with NDSU at the time to not meet IAA head on, seems like the Montana schools are 20 years ahead of us. *This is when we should have went. *There is absolutely no reason why we should have been DII in the late 80's or 90's, wow!!
On a side note, I wish I had a Bentrim jersey.
Good history recall, I love our Bison!!

1 Huge reason It is called "Money" or lack thereof!

SDbison
10-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Also didn't have leaders like Chapman and Taylor around in the early nineties. Someone first has to have the vision and ability to convince others the hurdles can be overcome.

Gully
10-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Also didn't have leaders like Chapman and Taylor around in the early nineties. *Someone first has to have the vision and ability to convince others the hurdles can be overcome.

SDBison, you're exactly right. We didn't have the money when Joe got here either. Joe has enspired everyone to take things to a higher level.

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-29-2006, 06:31 PM
The university is definitely moving towards maximizing the quality and profile of all its academic, athletic and research programs, which is a lot more than a lot of schools can say. All schools say that they would like to do these things, but right now NDSU is doing it and the D-I move is part of that, but the move just wouldn't have been feasible for us when the Montana schools made the jump.

SDbison
10-29-2006, 08:33 PM
An example is all the fundraising going on. *I am a Teammaker and I have given relatively small checks to the Annual Fund every year for many years now. *A year or so ago I started giving a small annual check to the Greater University fund. *Today I decided to support a mailing I recently received for the NDSU Athletics Excellence Fund. *Wrote out a check for more than I should have, but how can you not want to keep the progress going given the early success in DI athletics and the growth in academics and research. *I hope all of you out there will consider doing something more for NDSU this year. *Maybe become a Team maker if you are not, give a small check to the Anuual or Greater University Fund, or support the NDSU Athletics Excellence Fund. *I am doing all this and have a daughter who is a Freshman at NDSU. *Just a little bit more from everyone will assure the return to the glory days and keep us there. *:) * * Need to keep on taking things to a higher level!