PDA

View Full Version : Software for Videos - Update

CaBisonFan
09-19-2013, 07:06 PM
For those who want to download youtube videos...this program does a nice job. I've had it on my mac for about 3 days without any problems. It's actually a web browser...so when you install it, tell it 'not' to become your default browser. You can still use your browser without any conflict. The software is made available on cnet.com...which is about as safe a place to find free software as there is. http://download.cnet.com/Torch-Browser/3000-2356_4-75740051.html

For mac users, there's a file converter called flv crunch that converts files down to a more manageable size. You can also find that on cnet.com. Works great. PC users can search cnet.com for a converter. There are many.

One more item...

...found a way to send large files to friends via email. Go to wetransfer.com...load up to 2 gigs of files, enter the email(s) address where you want it sent (including yourself)...tada

Here's the full championship game...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHeHct0a0s0

KTF
09-19-2013, 07:57 PM
I was able to convert the Kansas State Game off of youtube via a website that you could select many different alternatives. I will post it when I get a chance later this evening.

imabison
09-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I was able to convert the Kansas State Game off of youtube via a website that you could select many different alternatives. I will post it when I get a chance later this evening.

I have the Kansas State game on my hard drive at home, but like the Big 10 network Fox Sports 1 is incripted to prevent burning...

KTF
09-19-2013, 08:42 PM
I haven't tried burning it to dvd yet.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
09-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Ok, I will say this first.. I need computers for Dummys. Is there a way to get stuff off my DVR to my computer?

imabison
09-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Ok, I will say this first.. I need computers for Dummys. Is there a way to get stuff off my DVR to my computer?

I can't answer that because I use a TV IN/OUT card on my computer, not a DVR from Direct TV, but it is cabled to my satelite box.

marenlee
09-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Someone on the board recommended this to me last year.

VHS To DVD 7.0
http://www.amazon.com/Honestech-VHS-DVD-7-0-Deluxe/dp/B00B5P23SG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379628604&sr=8-1&keywords=vhs+to+dvd

I have the 5.0 version and it was awesome with my Dish Network gear going to my old ass PC. I was able to save all the 2011 season stuff I had on my DVR when I made the switch over to Directv. However using my laptop to get my 2012 stuff off the DVR I'm getting a lot of jumpy video and can't figure it out. Anyone else have this problem?

BisonTeacher
09-19-2013, 11:30 PM

Avermedia hd capture card.

KTF
09-20-2013, 02:19 AM
Ok the website that I used is http://www.clipconverter.cc/. I wished I lived in the FM TV station viewing area as I built my own DVR using a Homerun Dual ASTC(cable cutter) and an old laptop with windows Vista on it. I currently use Windows Media Center but it is a bit dated. If I could ever figure out how to setup media portal, I would use that instead. The mediaportal saves in mp4 format (I believe) which would help in conversion for playback. The laptop's HDD is on it's last leg, one of these days I am going to pull the plug on the 250gb and put in a 1tb. I think the rest of it can go for a while in that job capacity. Anybody know anything about Linux and how to make the screen resolution friendly for an HTPC? I tried but I believe it to be a hardware/software issue.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2013, 08:15 PM
I've put up the 2013 championship game for a couple of days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHeHct0a0s0

This thread gives you a couple of different ways to download youtube videos.

THEsocalledfan
09-27-2013, 08:37 PM
I have the Kansas State game on my hard drive at home, but like the Big 10 network Fox Sports 1 is incripted to prevent burning...

I had no problems burning it, so don't understand your issue.

THEsocalledfan
09-27-2013, 08:38 PM

Or, another option that is use, is run your cable through your computer using a Ceton quad tuner card.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm using a Roxio 'VHS to DVD3 Plus' device. Plugs into my DVR with 3 cables and a usb to my computer. The product is a little grainy, so there's probably better ways to do it. I've also used it to move VHS and DVD videos onto my computer by plugging into a VHS/DVD player. It cost about 40 bucks.

For my old videos that are online, I used a DVD/VHS recorder. Was able to record old VHS tapes onto DVDs. Then I'd move the DVD material onto my computer.

IBleedYellow
09-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Alright guys for pulling things off of a DVR I will post a tutorial later this weekend to show you what I just set up at my Dad's place. It works flawlessly.

And it's HD and you barely notice the quality degrade.

PS: Almost all DVRs encrypt the HDMI signal, but the components cables are totally clear, considering they only carry simple current vs an HDMI cable.

Moto X

THEsocalledfan
09-28-2013, 02:46 AM
Alright guys for pulling things off of a DVR I will post a tutorial later this weekend to show you what I just set up at my Dad's place. It works flawlessly.

And it's HD and you barely notice the quality degrade.

PS: Almost all DVRs encrypt the HDMI signal, but the components cables are totally clear, considering they only carry simple current vs an HDMI cable.

Moto X

But why not record the signal before the HDMI output eliminating these issues? That is what I am not following. If you have a computer with Windows Media Center installed, getting a Ceton tuner card is a much better way to go. The only issue is it works only with cable and it not compatible with satellite. By federal regulation, the cable companies have to rent you a HD decoding card to put into the card. Mid continent did not even have them until I quoted the regulations to them....

In doing it this way, you record right of the HD signal and use your computer as you DVR. You can get extenders and run to multiple TV's.

BisonTeacher
09-28-2013, 02:59 AM
Not sure what the heck you guys are talking about as far as encryption. I can copy off my directv dvr at full HD using the Avermedia HD capture card. (model number MTVHDDVRR) The HDMI cable goes right out from the back of the DVR into the card on the PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100049