PDA

View Full Version : FCS Week 4 Thread

NDSUstudent
09-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Like the FBS this week...there are very few quality match ups. The most intriguing game this week is probably an FCS-FBS battle featuring EIU and NIU on ESPN3.

Key FCS Games:
Richmond at Liberty 6 p.m. Flames Sports Network- Liberty has a change to notch yet another quality for the Big South and the rise of the Big South might be the unnoticed storyline of the year in the FCS right now. Meanwhile Richmond desperately needs this game to gain some ground back after falling to Garnder Webb of the Big South last week.

Gardner Webb at Wofford- As I just mentioned Gardner Webb is fresh off a big win over Richmond, the Bulldogs already have one win over the SoCon this year when they beat Furman to start the season. Wofford needs to avoid the letdown this week after beating GSU last week.

Winnable FBS games:
Jacksonville at Georgia State 1 p.m. ESPN3
Northwestern State at UAB 2 p.m.
SDSU at Nebraska 2:30 Big 10 Network
Murray State at Bowling Green 2:30 p.m. ESPN3
EIU at NIU 6 p.m. ESPN3
WIU at UNLV 8 p.m.

FCS Game of the Week:
Stony Brook at Villanova 2 p.m. -Nova is a team that many felt would win the CAA but it is early in this 2013 season and they are sitting at 0-2. A loss here could spell disaster for the Wildcats. For SBU this will be their first game as a member of the CAA and this will offer them a chance to make their mark right away in what has been one the FCS's premier conferences.

FCS Games on TV:
Texas Southern at Jackson State 9/19 6:30 ESPNU
Florida A&M at Ohio State 11 a.m. Big 10 Network
Idaho State at Washington 2 p.m. Pac 12 Network
Maine at Northwestern 2:30 p.m. Big 10 Network
SDSU at Nebraska 2:30 p.m. Big 10 Network
Delaware State at NDSU 4:30 p.m. NBC ND/ESPN3/ESPN Game Plan
Lehigh at Princeton 5 p.m. NBC Sports Network

FCS Streams(ESPN3 or free):
Chowan at Sacred Heart noon NECfrontrow.com
Cloumbia at Fordham noon Patriot League Network
Yale at Colgates noon Patriot League Network
Austin Peay at Ohio 1 p.m. ESPN3
Jacksonville State at Georgia State 1 p.m. ESPN3
SIU at SEMO 1 p.m. OVCdigitalnetwork.com
Lincoln at St Francis 1 p.m. NECfrontrow.com
Oklahoma Panhandle State at Montana 2 p.m. Big Sky TV
Murray State at Bowling Green 2:30 p.m. ESPN3
UNI at Northern Colorado 2:30 Big Sky TV
VMI at Virginia 2:30 p.m. ESPN3
Hampton at Coastal Carolina 5 p.m. Bigsouthsports.com
Bethune-Cookman at Florida State 5 p.m. ESPN3
Monmouth at Holy Cross 5 p.m. Patriot League Network
Montana State at SFA 5 p.m. ESPN3
Morgan State at WKU 6 p.m. ESPN3
EIU at NIU 6 p.m. ESPN3
EKU at Morhead State 6 p.m. OVCdigitalnetwork.com
Liberty at Richmond 6 p.m. Flames Sports Network
Savannah State at Miami(FL) 6 p.m. ESPN3
USD at NAU 6 p.m. Big Sky TV/Fox Sports AZ+
Tenn State at Tenn Tech 7 p.m. ESPN3
Portland State at UCD 8 p.m. Big Sky TV
SUU at Sac State 8 p.m. Big Sky TV

WYOBISONMAN
09-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Its a good thing that UND doesn't play anyone next weekend. When they crater is another disaster (the next time they play), it is going to get ugly up there. I think the fans are sharpening their pitchforks, lighting the torches.......and having orgasmic dreams about how wonderful it is to be a Bison fan..... ;)

DePereBisonFan
09-21-2013, 08:30 PM
SDSU up on Nebraska 17-14. 1st quarter. Zenner has 123 rushing yards on 10 carries.

tcbison
09-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Absolutely no defense in the SDSU/Nebraska game. Jacks defense looks soft but did force a fumble. Zenner running wild but on 3rd and 2 they threw the ball. Dumb move there.

NDSUstudent
09-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Wow EIU is on some kind of roll right now, they are up 20-6 on Northern Illinois late in the 1st quarter.

marenlee
09-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Stephen F Austin up on the Kitty Kats 17-9 at the end of the 1st. Excellent. Big Sky once again proving they don't play defense.

NDSUstudent
09-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Another score of interest....

Montana State 9
SFA 17 late 1st quarter

marenlee
09-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Coyotes are down 0-6 to Northern Arizona with 10:30 in the 2nd. Keep on representin MVFC!

NDSUstudent
09-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Missouri State is up on Central Arkansas 13-10 in the 2nd quarter. Would be a nice win for the Bears and MVFC.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Another interesting score and a game I mentioned in my weekly preview...Gardner Webb and Wofford are tied at 0 at the half.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 12:11 AM
TD SFA...they are up 24-9 on Montana State.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 12:47 AM
Still no score in the Wofford game....sounds like it is being played in monsoon like conditions.

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 01:03 AM
TD SFA...they are up 24-9 on Montana State.

Someone should tell SFA of this new-fangled invention called live stats.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 01:08 AM
For those who don't have ESPN3 here is a link to free video of the SFA-Montana State game...

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/allaccess/?media=398855

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 01:09 AM
Thanks. Guess I just made an ass out of u and me. (assumed the live video was pay)

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 01:28 AM
SFA wastes a good opportunity for points. Why go for the same corner of the endzone three times when you're 25 yards out? And then shank the FG attempt. Still 31-24 SFA; 6:20 left in the 3Q.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 01:31 AM
Gardner Webb wins the monsoon bowl...beats Wofford 3-0

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 01:35 AM
SFA wastes a good opportunity for points. Why go for the same corner of the endzone three times when you're 25 yards out? And then shank the FG attempt. Still 31-24 SFA; 6:20 left in the 3Q.

Yeah that drive may come back to haunt SFA.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 01:38 AM
Not sure why MSU went for 2 there but their trickeration failed...31-30 SFA leads.

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Did the Bobcats just try to go for 2 instead of tying the game or was that a botched XP? In any case, 31-30 SFA w/ 2 left in the 3rd.

edit: was watching an official review from the Bama game and missed the play

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Did the Bobcats just try to go for 2 instead of tying the game or was that a botched XP? In any case, 31-30 SFA w/ 2 left in the 3rd.

They went for 2 and I still have no idea as to why they did.

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 01:43 AM
They went for 2 and I still have no idea as to why they did.

Well, SFA is sure helping them out on this abortion of a drive. This has been like watching two chimpanzees play Madden.

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 01:47 AM
And MSU manages to mess up fantastic field position and comes out with no points after a missed FG. Still 31-30 SFA after 3.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 01:47 AM
Well, SFA is sure helping them out on this abortion of a drive. This has been like watching two chimpanzees play Madden.

I'm convinced everyone that is voting MSU #2 in their polls has never seen them play an actual game.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 01:51 AM
Another ugly SFA drive.

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 01:54 AM
Another ugly SFA drive.

This isn't football, it's slow motion tennis.

punt - missed FG - punt - punt - missed FG - punt - punt

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 02:05 AM
MSU converts on an INT. Also gets the 2pt conversion this time to make it 38-31 MSU. 11:00 to go.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 02:09 AM
And SFA marches down the field for a TD....

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 02:09 AM
There's the Big Sky D we all know and love. SFA gashes their way down the field to score a quick TD. 38-all, 8:45.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 02:12 AM
Meanwhile EIU has taken a 39-36 lead on Northern Illinois. EIU is approaching 450 yards passing.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 02:18 AM
Wow Montana has no defense at all. Big play for SFA.

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 02:22 AM
Bit scary with that MSU player down. They were testing for sensation before the camera cut away. Got up and walked off under his own power.

And SFA with an easy run up the middle for a TD. 45-38 SFA.

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 02:26 AM
Yo, MSU kick returner: YOU'RE RUNNING THE WRONG WAY!!!

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 02:34 AM
Pick six for SFA...down goes MSU.

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 02:35 AM
And the Big Sky is still the Southland's bitch. SFA with a pick 6 to ice it. 52-38 SFA final.

JSUBison
09-22-2013, 02:41 AM
MSU will drop maybe 2 spots in the polls. Too many honks using the no McGhee excuse still. I guess they think he plays both sides of the ball.

tcbison
09-22-2013, 02:49 AM
So the Montana State pussycats go down the same week that NDSU hosts College GameDay. That is good stuff right there.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 02:52 AM
The UN_ vs Montana State game should be interesting next week. SFA is not a good football team.

NDSU1980
09-22-2013, 03:12 AM
The UN_ vs Montana State game should be interesting next week. SFA is not a good football team.

Yea, I'm thinking MSU is so bad, they will probably only beat UN_ by 20. I had them pegged for a bigger ass whooping before tonight.

taper
09-22-2013, 03:13 AM
I'm not sure what to think of Gardner Webb beating Wofford 0-3. It was monsoon conditions, complete mess. I don't think either team could really play. Normally with a loss like this I'd drop Wofford a ton of spots. Gardner Webb gets a spot I think though.

Thundering Herd
09-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Montana State....when will the voters see how grossly overrated these clowns are? Im very interested in the mcneese-uni game next week. I think the cowboys could make some noise. Eastern illinois and ewu can score some points, but do they have any d? Dont know why, but I still like to see southern utah do well. End of miscellaneous fcs thoughts...

tony
09-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Montana State....when will the voters see how grossly overrated these clowns are? Im very interested in the mcneese-uni game next week. I think the cowboys could make some noise. Eastern illinois and ewu can score some points, but do they have any d? Dont know why, but I still like to see southern utah do well. End of miscellaneous fcs thoughts...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/9874247646_03b4881eb6_o.jpg

Hambone
09-22-2013, 02:38 PM
And the Big Sky is still the Southland's bitch. SFA with a pick 6 to ice it. 52-38 SFA final.
I believe the Big Sky and MVFC are both 1-2 against the Southland this year (I could be wrong), so does that make the MVFC the Southland's bitch as well? And technically the Big Sky has been SHSU's bitch and not the entire conference :)

Hammersmith
09-22-2013, 04:07 PM
I believe the Big Sky and MVFC are both 1-2 against the Southland this year (I could be wrong), so does that make the MVFC the Southland's bitch as well? And technically the Big Sky has been SHSU's bitch and not the entire conference :)

I was wondering if someone was going to call me on that. :)

I'm still harboring a lot of resentment toward MSU for the buyout and the Big Sky in general for the attempt to destabilize the Summit/MVFC. It was too good of a line to pass up. Besides, anyone would be upset after watching 30 minutes of whatever that was called(it certainly wasn't football).

But the Southland has definitely arrived as a power conference. When I was doing my Sagarin ratings last year, I would run their numbers occasionally to make sure they weren't in the top-4. There was always a significant gap no matter how well SHSU was doing. This year, they've already passed the SoCon and I think they'll pass the CAA once we get enough data to stop using numbers from last year. It would only be mildly shocking from this end to see them finish the year in the number 2 spot behind the MVFC.

NDSU1980
09-22-2013, 04:21 PM

I'm hopilng MSU drops just far enough in the polls that they wind up on our side of the playoff bracket. Get them in the dome and pound em.

CAS4127
09-22-2013, 04:35 PM
I was wondering if someone was going to call me on that. :)

I'm still harboring a lot of resentment toward MSU for the buyout and the Big Sky in general for the attempt to destabilize the Summit/MVFC. It was too good of a line to pass up. Besides, anyone would be upset after watching 30 minutes of whatever that was called(it certainly wasn't football).

But the Southland has definitely arrived as a power conference. When I was doing my Sagarin ratings last year, I would run their numbers occasionally to make sure they weren't in the top-4. There was always a significant gap no matter how well SHSU was doing. This year, they've already passed the SoCon and I think they'll pass the CAA once we get enough data to stop using numbers from last year. It would only be mildly shocking from this end to see them finish the year in the number 2 spot behind the MVFC.

Not a true segue post to this, but I do not for a minute believe we would have won back-to-back Natty's or even one, for that matter, had we ended up in the Big Sky Conference. We learned early on in our MVFC what it meant to play legit D1 defense. Not sure we would have had we joined BSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

taper
09-22-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm hopilng MSU drops just far enough in the polls that they wind up on our side of the playoff bracket. Get them in the dome and pound em.

There's a very real possibility they don't even make the playoffs this year. Seriously doubt they'll win the conference and with the 12 game schedule you'll probably need 8 D1 wins to get an at large. So far they have 1 with 8 games remaining. They do play EWU and Montana.

gotts
09-22-2013, 05:39 PM
I can see a case for MSU in the bottom half of the polls, but if anyone has them in the top 12, I'm automatically discrediting your poll.

Tatanka
09-22-2013, 06:56 PM
There's a very real possibility they don't even make the playoffs this year. Seriously doubt they'll win the conference and with the 12 game schedule you'll probably need 8 D1 wins to get an at large. So far they have 1 with 8 games remaining. They do play EWU and Montana.

and teh powerhaus un_. Suddenly the chances of actual victory just crept ahead of those for moral victory for teh _________

I would laugh heartily if Montana state missed out... Karma at its finest.

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2013, 08:06 PM
I just don't get why people love Montana State...Sports Network still thinks they are seed worthy...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

JSUBison
09-22-2013, 11:32 PM
I just don't get why people love Montana State...Sports Network still thinks they are seed worthy...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

That's a real bad bracket. How does TSN think that Towson will get the winner of the MEAC and Pioneer? Those are the lowest ranked or lowest SOS teams in the field. Fordham/Delaware winner is an easier game than BC/Jacksonville? Does Haley even try with these? He is one of the bigger MSU homers out there, I guess I answered my own question.

gotts
09-23-2013, 03:13 AM
That's a real bad bracket. How does TSN think that Towson will get the winner of the MEAC and Pioneer? Those are the lowest ranked or lowest SOS teams in the field. Fordham/Delaware winner is an easier game than BC/Jacksonville? Does Haley even try with these? He is one of the bigger MSU homers out there, I guess I answered my own question.

If Fordham takes care of business, they'll be a 7/8 seed, IMO.

onbison09
09-23-2013, 05:42 AM
Are the unseeded teams ranked in order of suckiness or is it random/less travel? I'm leaning towards the 2nd option with the Jacks last year.

JSUBison
09-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Are the unseeded teams ranked in order of suckiness or is it random/less travel? I'm leaning towards the 2nd option with the Jacks last year.

That's right, I don't know how I forgot about that with all the talk right after the selection show last year. I guess maybe because EVERY OTHER tournament I've either participtated in or watched since day one has been based on seeds. Still, I know it's all fantasy right now, but based on that bracket, putting Wofford/Coastal winner at Towson, Fordham/Delaware winner at Montana, and BC/Jacksonville at NDSU maintains the travel money issue, and puts the lowest seed against the top seed as it should.

Willie44
09-25-2013, 02:15 AM

It's really every team but Montana that is the Southland's bitch. Montana against the Southland in previous years...

2004 Sam Houston W 34-13 Playoffs Round 3
2006 McNeese State W 31-6 Playoffs Round 1
2008 Texas State W 31-13 FCS Playoffs Round 1
2009 Stephen F Austin W 51-0 Playoffs - Round 2
2011 Central Arkansas W 41-14 FCS Playoffs - Round 2

Granted we lost to SHSU in the semis in 2011, but other than that, UM has dominated the Southland. It's just MSU that blows. :)

IndyBison
09-25-2013, 11:56 AM
That's right, I don't know how I forgot about that with all the talk right after the selection show last year. I guess maybe because EVERY OTHER tournament I've either participtated in or watched since day one has been based on seeds. Still, I know it's all fantasy right now, but based on that bracket, putting Wofford/Coastal winner at Towson, Fordham/Delaware winner at Montana, and BC/Jacksonville at NDSU maintains the travel money issue, and puts the lowest seed against the top seed as it should.

You would love the Indiana HS tournament. Every team is in the tournament. You are placed into a sectional before the season. There is no seeding. About week 7 there is a random draw for opponents and location. If the top 2 teams in the state are in the same sectional they could play in the first round. A 9-0 team could travel to an 0-9 team. Two 0-9 teams could play each other in the first round. How about that?

Gully
09-25-2013, 01:25 PM
You would love the Indiana HS tournament. Every team is in the tournament. You are placed into a sectional before the season. There is no seeding. About week 7 there is a random draw for opponents and location. If the top 2 teams in the state are in the same sectional they could play in the first round. A 9-0 team could travel to an 0-9 team. Two 0-9 teams could play each other in the first round. How about that?

I think that sucks, I get that it's HS so whatever. That's what people don't like about some of the FCS pairings.....reward the regular season success. Don't make a top seed play a better team just because the travel is closer to save a few dollars.

NorthernBison
09-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I see that Montana suspended Hermanson for the NAU game this week. Was out drinking and wrecked some signs and an unpaid parking ticket came to light when they ran him through the computer.

BTW, saw this on the Hitler Youth Board. Guess who responded to the first post and what, non-related, program he referenced in his post.

aces1180
09-25-2013, 01:47 PM
I see that Montana suspended Hermanson for the NAU game this week. Was out drinking and wrecked some signs and an unpaid parking ticket came to light when they ran him through the computer.

BTW, saw this on the Hitler Youth Board. Guess who responded to the first post and what, non-related, program he referenced in his post.

That whole post was designed to get the trolls to respond and find another way to disparage NDSU...

Willie44
09-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Personally I think his punishment was small. These players are under a damn electron microscope and they still choose to put themselves above the team and make the program look bad.

IndyBison
09-25-2013, 02:46 PM
I think that sucks, I get that it's HS so whatever. That's what people don't like about some of the FCS pairings.....reward the regular season success. Don't make a top seed play a better team just because the travel is closer to save a few dollars.

Conferences here form like NCAA (teams join whatever conference they want) and they are typically for all sports. Since classifications are done differently for each sport you end up with conferences that have teams from multiple classes. Some smaller schools play in conferences with bigger schools. They end up with records like 3-6 and then run the table and win their class. This set-up makes it hard to have some kind of playoff qualification. They did one in the early 80s and it resulted in a lawsuit because some undefeated schools did not make the playoffs. Rather than dealing with those issues they went to the all-in format with random draw. It results in some bad sectional final (3rd round of 6) match-ups because some really bad team ends up getting an easy draw and winning a couple games. It's good for those teams to get extra games/practices and some level of success, but is it better for the sport overall? Ultimately the best team usually wins the championship and a bunch of kids get great experiences along the way. In the end I guess that's what is important in high school football.