PDA

View Full Version : Retire the #16 jersey after this season

GOBISON123
09-15-2013, 01:42 AM
For all those amazing things that Brock has done and the leadership he has shown , I suggest retiring his #16 jersey after this football season.

OrygunBison
09-15-2013, 01:44 AM
Love the guy, but sorry. No. Nobody is bigger than the team.

Bisonguy
09-15-2013, 01:45 AM

+ Infinity.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

GOBISON123
09-15-2013, 01:48 AM

Hard to disagree.

Wally
09-15-2013, 01:49 AM

This. He will be in the NDSU HOF in the future. If players are still wearing 1, 10, 90 among many others, after all these years, someone else will wear 16

missingnumber7
09-15-2013, 01:53 AM
For all those amazing things that Brock has done and the leadership he has shown , I suggest retiring his #16 jersey after this football season.
No

That is all.

When he's eligible HOF.

tony
09-15-2013, 01:54 AM
#1 isn't retired.

devin45k
09-15-2013, 01:57 AM
It's a team sport though

loudsilverado
09-15-2013, 02:02 AM
Team sport

perthbison
09-15-2013, 02:11 AM
For all those amazing things that Brock has done and the leadership he has shown , I suggest retiring his #16 jersey after this football season.they have to find it first

aces1180
09-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Only number retired is that of a player who was killed in a hunting accident...

T-Funk
09-15-2013, 02:34 AM
Only number retired is that of a player who was killed in a hunting accident...

Really? What number? Who was it?

56BISON73
09-15-2013, 02:43 AM

:facepalm:

aces1180

#79 Paul Bothof...1970.

56BISON73

Paul Botoff(sp)

natstar1
09-15-2013, 03:28 AM
#1 isn't retired.
who said it was?

HerdBot
09-15-2013, 03:28 AM
Great player but we really don't retire numbers. It goes against the team concept. We retired a players number once way back in the day who was killed. Its tradition. Hall of fame some day

natstar1
09-15-2013, 03:39 AM
Great player but we really don't retire numbers. It goes against the team concept. We retired a players number once way back in the day who was killed. Its tradition. Hall of fame some day
Really? This is the first I've heard of this. Tell us more Gabe.

tjbison
09-15-2013, 03:47 AM

read the whole thread

loudsilverado
09-15-2013, 03:48 AM
Bandwagon fans need to buy a frickin' program and actually read it, then we wouldn't have stupid threads like this.

southcliffbison
09-15-2013, 04:36 AM

God, do I remember this incident. I was freshman in the fall of 1970. Paul Bothoff was killed accidentally in a hunting accident by a teammate. Sad story.

missingnumber7
09-15-2013, 06:01 AM
Bandwagon fans need to buy a frickin' program and actually read it, then we wouldn't have stupid threads like this.

OP is 2 for 2 this week.

natstar1
09-15-2013, 07:00 AM
read the whole thread

I did. I was poking fun at gabe bc he didn't read the thread.

Jay
09-15-2013, 07:05 AM
Honor them by wearing the number like Michigan does. Devin Gardener, QB, is number 98 this year.

The Team! The Team! The Team!

tony
09-15-2013, 11:01 AM
who said it was?

My point was that Jeff Bentrim's number isn't retired. If Jeff Bentrim's number isn't retired, then nobody's number afterwards should be.

BisonTeacher
09-15-2013, 12:03 PM

This. There is a reason no names on the back of the jersey.

A1pigskin
09-15-2013, 12:50 PM
I do not agree with retiring the number.

56BISON73
09-15-2013, 01:17 PM

You know that's not goingt to happen. All you are doing is trolling by starting a thread by making an outlandish statement. Its your MO. Why do you keep doing this? The retirement of numbers has been discussed at length numerous times this year alone. Geeez

ZHerd
09-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Definitely not. I like Brock but college football rotates gobs of guys through over the years since they can only play 4. You get into the habit of retiring jerseys and you will run out of numbers; especially with a good program that produces great players. Also, it does infringe on the team concept. Honestly, the last two championships were keyed as much or more by our defense. You want to retire 11 jerseys there?

Tony Almeida
09-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Again, I don't know how many times this has to be brought up but Brock Jensen isn't the greatest QB to play for NDSU!!!
He just happens to be on one of the best TEAMS in Bison history!!!

With that said, he is definitely a winner and belongs to be in the same argument with the all time Bison greats! But leave it at that!

Maybe we should retire all the numbers worn by this year's Bison team...

unbison
09-15-2013, 01:45 PM
You know that's not goingt to happen. All you are doing is trolling by starting a thread by making an outlandish statement. Its your MO. Why do you keep doing this? The retirement of numbers has been discussed at length numerous times this year alone. Geeez

And your m o Is to correct people and tell them how they should behave
Enjoy ur day grand poo baa of the know it all society

unbison
09-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Again, I don't know how many times this has to be brought up but Brock Jensen isn't the greatest QB to play for NDSU!!!
He just happens to be on one of the best TEAMS in Bison history!!!

With that said, he is definitely a winner and belongs to be in the same argument with the all time Bison greats! But leave it at that!

Maybe we should retire all the numbers worn by this year's Bison team...
Well It bock ends up with 3 rings at the end of this season as we hope he would be the winningest qb and winning s what makes a qb so I'm unsure that your opinion is factual or simply opinion

Rynomite
09-15-2013, 01:52 PM
It does take a village..

T-Funk
09-15-2013, 01:54 PM
The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back of the jersey.

unbison
09-15-2013, 02:32 PM
The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back of the jersey.

Truth!!!!'

56BISON73
09-15-2013, 02:36 PM
And your m o Is to correct people and tell them how they should behave
Enjoy ur day grand poo baa of the know it all society

Thank you for stopping by during your busy day. Your post is very important to us. For english press1 for ....................

JMB
09-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Well It bock ends up with 3 rings at the end of this season as we hope he would be the winningest qb and winning s what makes a qb so I'm unsure that your opinion is factual or simply opinion
Eli > Peyton? :)

MNLonghorn10
09-15-2013, 02:40 PM

The Bison dont have names on the back of their jerseys. I have no problem retiring 16 when Brocks done. He's the catalyst behind the greatness these past few years and is the obvious leader. Great one at that. When you go to big stadiums, you always see a line of players who played at that school who were great in college. NDSU needs to do that here, starting with Brock and go on down. Problem with that here, is that everyone on Bville would think every person on every championship roster would deserve to recognized.

Tony Almeida
09-15-2013, 02:53 PM

First of all, learn to type, spell, and use punctuation marks...

Secondly, You're a fool and a blind fool at that if you think Brock Jensen was the sole reason for 2, hopefully 3, titles!

That defense we have is one of the best in Bison history! Would Brock have won a title with the 3-8 team of 2009? How successful do you think Nick Mertens would be with today's team? Better than 3-8 I'll guarantee you that! Give credit where its due buddy.

MNLonghorn10
09-15-2013, 02:55 PM

Secondly, Your a fool and a blind fool at that if you think Brock Jensen was the sole reason for 2, hopefully 3, titles!

That defense we have is one of the best in Bison history! Would Brock have won a title with the 3-8 team of 2009? How successful do you think Nick Mertens would be with today's team? Better than 3-8 I'll guarantee you that! Give credit where its due buddy.

http://replygif.net/i/1262.gif

Rynomite
09-15-2013, 02:59 PM

This^^^^^^^^

Tony Almeida
09-15-2013, 03:01 PM
http://replygif.net/i/1262.gif

Is that better? :facepalm2: You're just angry because you know 99.98% of Bison fans would disagree with you!

HerdBot
09-15-2013, 03:14 PM

Strange random fact. When Joe Montana Jr transferred to Montana, he was the only player in program history to have his name on the front AND back of his jersey.

MNLonghorn10
09-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Is that better? :facepalm2: You're just angry because you know 99.98% of Bison fans would disagree with you!
nah, u sound mad bro.

unbison
09-15-2013, 03:34 PM

Secondly, You're a fool and a blind fool at that if you think Brock Jensen was the sole reason for 2, hopefully 3, titles!

I'm not ignoring the defense if you don't like my writing style remember this is not anything more then a informal opinion board not a formal editorial.... Your post makes some huge assumptions to my thoughts on what has brought us championships
And you may need to slow down and take some medication Brock Jensen will leave ndsu with more championships after this season then any other ndsu qb previously and that puts him in pretty rare air

WRSDBison
09-15-2013, 04:05 PM

It will be hard to retire it since all they do is "loose" it. Now go back to whatever it is you do that doesn't include starting weird threads.

Castor Troy
09-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Not sure if this was ever discussed, but there is a part of me that kind of wishes that Brock acted a little more "been there, done that" in his on field interview when time expired for the KSU game. He said something about it being the biggest win in school history and he was very emotional. I just think it would have been just way cold blooded for him to be real business like as if to say that we expected to win. But that is just my opinion.

GOBISON123
09-15-2013, 04:29 PM
It will be hard to retire it since all they do is "loose" it. Now go back to whatever it is you do that doesn't include starting weird threads.

:rolleyes:

Bisonguy
09-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Not sure if this was ever discussed, but there is a part of me that kind of wishes that Brock acted a little more "been there, done that" in his on field interview when time expired for the KSU game. He said something about it being the biggest win in school history and he was very emotional. I just think it would have been just way cold blooded for him to be real business like as if to say that we expected to win. But that is just my opinion.

He also has a tendency to find the camera after a rushing TD that the RB's don't display.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-15-2013, 04:42 PM

No. We don't retire numbers. Not practical or feasible. There have been plenty of Bison greats in the past and there will be plenty more in the future. If this were the case we wouldn't have many numbers left for the current players.

GOBISON123
09-15-2013, 04:54 PM
No. We don't retire numbers. Not practical or feasible. There have been plenty of Bison greats in the past and there will be plenty more in the future. If this were the case we wouldn't have many numbers left for the current players.

Agreed,team comes first.

JSUBison
09-15-2013, 05:19 PM
He also has a tendency to find the camera after a rushing TD that the RB's don't display.

I hope his after TD celebrations don't earn him a 15 yarder some day. In the ATM/Bama game, the bama RB scored a touchdown and did the money sign and the superman motion. He got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike. Old man Verne Lundquist thought it was a double throat slash, but it was the same superman motion I've seen the Bison RB and OL have done the past couple years.

JTBison
09-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Bama RB Yeldon directed that dollar sign jesture because of Johnny Manziel. Because of the previous signature jestures, the coaches knew the refs would be on high alert for that stuff. Stay away from the taunting.

NorthernBison
09-15-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm not ignoring the defense if you don't like my writing style remember this is not anything more then a informal opinion board not a formal editorial.... Your post makes some huge assumptions to my thoughts on what has brought us championships
And you may need to slow down and take some medication Brock Jensen will leave ndsu with more championships after this season then any other ndsu qb previously and that puts him in pretty rare air

#1 had 3. Just sayin.

Ndsu84
09-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Brock is great and everything, but this team is so awesome we would have won with our past great quarterbacks. Esley Thornton might have done the same. I'm a bit disappointed Wentz isn't getting more snaps, it wasn't long ago Brock was out with a collar bone. The greatest thing about the Bison is how well they know each other and play team ball. That's how they beat teams "bigger" than us.

silkamilkamonico
09-15-2013, 06:06 PM
#1 had 3. Just sayin.

His defense was similarity dominant during his era. NDSU wins it this year, IMO it's just a preference argument of the greatest in NDSU history. Fun discussion, but nobody should be trying to make an objective argument of which one is better, especially based on Brock's "dominant defense".

btw, the thread starter is the same one who started that ridiculous thread in the Volleyball forum

WRSDBison
09-15-2013, 06:16 PM
I hope his after TD celebrations don't earn him a 15 yarder some day. In the ATM/Bama game, the bama RB scored a touchdown and did the money sign and the superman motion. He got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike. Old man Verne Lundquist thought it was a double throat slash, but it was the same superman motion I've seen the Bison RB and OL have done the past couple years.

it was definitely a double throat slash.

Ndsu84
09-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Seems to me our defense had games so awesome they held the other team down while they(the bison defense)scored the most points at the same time. Games where we just needed the offense to not turn it over.

GOBISON123
09-15-2013, 06:18 PM
it was definitely a double throat slash.

Here's the gif
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/tj-yeldon-mocks-johnny-manziel-with-touchdown-celebration/

DjKyRo
09-15-2013, 06:22 PM
You should lurk more.

HerdBot
09-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Brock is great and everything, but this team is so awesome we would have won with our past great quarterbacks. Esley Thornton might have done the same. I'm a bit disappointed Wentz isn't getting more snaps, it wasn't long ago Brock was out with a collar bone. The greatest thing about the Bison is how well they know each other and play team ball. That's how they beat teams "bigger" than us.

Possibly. Walker was the better passer but he couldn't run like Brock so the offense may have looked different. Mertens or Moehler no. Wentz has a ton of work before he gets to Brocks level but has promise. We have more players to compete now. I like Wentz, McGinnis, and Davis

We do know with this defense and run game we could be good with many qbs .

td577
09-15-2013, 06:44 PM
It is the sum of the parts. There are a couple of guys on this team that will be Bison HOFers. That is enough recognition.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-15-2013, 06:48 PM
His defense was similarity dominant during his era. NDSU wins it this year, IMO it's just a preference argument of the greatest in NDSU history. Fun discussion, but nobody should be trying to make an objective argument of which one is better, especially based on Brock's "dominant defense".

btw, the thread starter is the same one who started that ridiculous thread in the Volleyball forum

Bisonville has a volleyball forum? :hide:

CAS4127
09-15-2013, 06:50 PM

Bentrim has 3 rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

heffray
09-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Seems to me our defense had games so awesome they held the other team down while they(the bison defense)scored the most points at the same time. Games where we just needed the offense to not turn it over.

I disagree with pretty much all of this. I have been a critic of him in the past, especially after 2 pick-sixes against MOSt. But Brock is just a winner. Our defense has been the key to our winning championships for the most part, but without Brock, we don't beat Kstate, Minnesota the second time, GSU last year, and many others. Brock isn't the quickest, fastest, or best passer in the world, but he has more toughness than any QB I've seen and his leadership qualities are the sort of intangibles that are much needed when you attempt to go back to back to back. Honestly, I don't think we win more than 1 out of the 3 we may cap off this year without Brock Jensen.

All of that said, no. We don't retire numbers.

unbison
09-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Bentrim has 3 rings.

My bad still rare air.... All as the starter?

CAS4127
09-15-2013, 07:14 PM

Yes, with one being as a true freshmen.

CaBisonFan
09-15-2013, 07:39 PM

Got hurt in the final against Troy when we were leading. Could have easily been 4.

WRSDBison
09-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Here's the gif
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/tj-yeldon-mocks-johnny-manziel-with-touchdown-celebration/

His hands are clearly at his throat. And why am I arguing with you? You're only here to rile people up and look like an idiot.

unbison
09-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Got hurt in the final against Troy when we were leading. Could have easily been 4.

Brock isn't far from going from 4 either

HerdBot
09-15-2013, 07:46 PM

One of my earliest memories as a kid. Dale Hammerschmidt came in as a backup and did a good job, but he wasn't Bentim obviously. The team lost a little swagger without Benny but still almost won

CAS4127
09-15-2013, 07:58 PM
One of my earliest memories as a kid. Dale Hammerschmidt came in as a backup and did a good job, but he wasn't Bentim obviously. The team lost a little swagger without Benny but still almost won

Sale is a friend of mine, but what really happened was that Morton was trying to create a Feel Good story by calling Dale's number twice near the goal line when we had 225 pound Chad Stark chomping at the bit for the ball. TD instead if field goal and we win--oh, and I would have 4 rings,
as coaches dressed me for Natty game just in case and even though I was redshirted. Glad I didn't have to play in that game.

HerdBot
09-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Sale is a friend of mine, but what really happened was that Morton was trying to create a Feel Good story by calling Dale's number twice near the goal line when we had 225 pound Chad Stark chomping at the bit for the ball. TD instead if field goal and we win--oh, and I would have 4 rings,
as coaches dressed me for Natty game just in case and even though I was redshirted. Glad I didn't have to play in that game.

Never rewatched. Repressed memory