PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Kill Seizure again

ThunderDan
09-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Looks like Kill had another seizure today on the sidelines. This guy might want to think about retiring or he's gonna die out there.
Not making a joke, being serious.

HerdBot
09-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Sad deal. Good guy.

tjbison
09-14-2013, 05:28 PM
he needs to retire

too bad but is health isn't helping the team

ThunderDan
09-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Minnesota is really, really, really, really bad. Western Illinois might pull it out. There might be mass suicide from Goofer fans if they lose this one. MFVC dominates the gophers.

HandoEX
09-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Looks like Kill had another seizure today on the sidelines. This guy might want to think about retiring or he's gonna die out there.
Not making a joke, being serious.
This is so ignorant. A siezure is not going to kill a man that has epilepsy. Good grief!!!

tjbison
09-14-2013, 05:59 PM
This is so ignorant. A siezure is not going to kill a man that has epilepsy. Good grief!!!

but it does have an impact on the moral of a team, too bad for Jerry but this is going to be a thorn in his side.

HandoEX
09-14-2013, 06:05 PM
but it does have an impact on the moral of a team, too bad for Jerry but this is going to be a thorn in his side.

Yeah, and quitting because you have a non-life threatening disease that rears its head a few times a year is going to boost morale. Are you serious?

tjbison
09-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Yeah, and quitting because you have a non-life threatening disease that rears its head a few times a year is going to boost morale. Are you serious?

it isn't life threatening but it does have side effects, the medication taken with severe cases like Jerry has is hard on the mind, the seizures become more frequent in highly stressed people. his job is stressful hence causing the frequent bouts.

sorry I feel a guys health and well being should be more important than sports

and yes I have a direct family member that has epilepsy

td577
09-14-2013, 06:16 PM

How many times has this happened on game day now?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

North Side
09-14-2013, 06:27 PM
It seems like he always has them went the team is playing poorly. Just too bad.

BisonTeacher
09-14-2013, 06:51 PM
I really like jerry kill. I hope hes ok and keeps coaching. I also get angry when i hear he gets emails telling him he needs to quit because of this. The reality is though...i think it may hurt recruiting. Not saying its right...cuz it isnt. but minnesota has a hard enough time recruiting and high school kids dont always see past this kind of stuff.

silkamilkamonico
09-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Seizures are stress related. I can't imagine the type of job he has is not having any influence on his health.

I'm not being insensitive, but I am wondering if they both need to move on. Kill has been a great coach, and can surely do something that isn't as stressful as coaching, and I'm not sure if these incidents are really helping Minnesota build their program. I can see how they may most certainly be a distraction.

I like Kill and it's unfortunate. He's been a great coach. I do think Minnesota has been better with him. But that program needs a steady progressive positive development and every time this happens it takes the players/staff focus away from football for a few moments if not a couple days, and then they resume.

I would think differently if Minnesota was an established program, but for the last few years, and currently they are just trying to find an identity. The first thing college football fans think of with Minnesota is a coach that has some unfortunate health issues.

TAILG8R
09-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Seizures are stress related. I can't imagine the type of job he has is not having any influence on his health.

I'm not being insensitive, but I am wondering if they both need to move on. Kill has been a great coach, and can surely do something that isn't as stressful as coaching, and I'm not sure if these incidents are really helping Minnesota build their program. I can see how they may most certainly be a distraction.

I like Kill and it's unfortunate. He's been a great coach. I do think Minnesota has been better with him. But that program needs a steady progressive positive development and every time this happens it takes the players/staff focus away from football for a few moments if not a couple days, and then they resume.

I would think differently if Minnesota was an established program, but for the last few years, and currently they are just trying to find an identity. The first thing college football fans think of with Minnesota is a coach that has some unfortunate health issues.

Fire Kill, Hire Bohl, Save Gophers?

aces1180
09-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Fire Kill, Hire Bohl, Save Gophers?

Unless he goes 1-11 for a few years in a row with no end in sight or does something to embarrass the school, no way he gets fired...That would be a major lawsuit waiting to happen. He's in a good situation right now.

KTF
09-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Coming from a parent of a child that has seizures, they definitely can be life threatening. They can be caused by anything and it really depends on the person and their triggers. My daughters friend also is epileptic and she can go into a seizure just from a flashing light (like used on the bison apps at the beginning of the game).

I would hate to see him lose his job over health condition in any other way then him stepping down. Him being released by the U would be a lawsuit provoking action.I am sure it is being talked about with supervisors and contingency plans are in place.

td577
09-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Coming from a parent of a child that has seizures, they definitely can be life threatening. They can be caused by anything and it really depends on the person and their triggers. My daughters friend also is epileptic and she can go into a seizure just from a flashing light (like used on the bison apps at the beginning of the game).

I would hate to see him lose his job over health condition in any other way then him stepping down. Him being released by the U would be a lawsuit provoking action.I am sure it is being talked about with supervisors and contingency plans are in place.

Actually, after perusing the ADA regs, an employer doesn't have to cite a health condition to release someone. They can cite performance. If all reasonable accommodations are being made and there is still a performance issue, then the employer has every right to terminate employment. This includes missing time at work even because of the health condition if the time off is creating a hardship for the employer. A lawsuit might happen, but it won't have any merit if the employer can simply show they made reasonable accommodations, set the performance standards, and the hardship created by the employee regardless of condition warrants the removal of them from the position.

I have a lot of sympathy for Jerry Kill. I also have a debilitating illness which is actually not life threatening. I can no longer perform the original line of work I was trained for. This is why there are fallback measures like disability insurance and social security. While there isn't much argument in the way of those avenues are probably not as financially lucrative as being a D1 football coach, there are measures in place for those who can not sustain employment. It is also not on the employer if an employee can sustain employment but not in their current capacity. The laws are set up to protect both sides. It is to prevent frivolous firing by an employer and to prevent an employer from simply having to maintain employment for someone who is incapable of handling the job requirements. I would venture to guess, attendance on game days was not negotiable and failure to attend or stay during the games would constitute a breach of contract. A judge would have to determine if the absence is reasonable. Extremely infrequently would probably be considered reasonable. A pattern, not so. Considering any particular game day is around 8-10% of the entire season, it could be construed as being the equivalent to missing a month's worth of work each time. There is not an employer in this country who would be on the hook for missing that much time a year after those reasonable accommodations are being made.

If a doctor states that this condition can't be controlled and regardless of what the employer does a person will likely miss a certain amount of games a year, then I would think the best course of action would be to either let him go or find a position within the organization he can sustain employment.

The real question here is this average of missing time 2 times a season and happening 4 times on game days enough to be considered unreasonable? Those are the publicized absences. We don't know the extent of cancelled appointments, missed university duties, and other factors involved within his job realm. Was this the last time it affects the team? Is the next time the last time? Are these episodes increasing at an increasing rate? Has his health been mismanaged up until now?

Many questions and we probably won't see the answers except in how the school treats him from here on out. I hope whatever outcome it is will be the best one for Jerry Kill and the student/athletes. From what I know about him, he is one of the good guys even if I don't really care about the goofers.

natstar1
09-14-2013, 09:59 PM
I have definitely read about people that have died during a seizure. Maybe Kill doesn't have worry about that, I'm by no means an expert.

If he resigned at the end of the season I doubt it would have any negative effect on morale. If he resigns tomorrow it probably affects morale very little.

Anyone know how many game day seizures he had at NIU?

A1pigskin
09-14-2013, 10:50 PM
The guy is slowly killing himself.

tjbison
09-14-2013, 10:54 PM
The guy is slowly killing himself.

exactly over football, I know he probably loves it but its not worth it. you can tell his stress is high, look at him and 3-4 seizures since taking over the Gophers??

wow

HandoEX
09-14-2013, 11:05 PM
I have definitely read about people that have died during a seizure. Maybe Kill doesn't have worry about that, I'm by no means an expert.

If he resigned at the end of the season I doubt it would have any negative effect on morale. If he resigns tomorrow it probably affects morale very little.

Anyone know how many game day seizures he had at NIU?
Yes, there have been plenty of people that have died from having seizures. I'm not discrediting that at all. My point is that the combination of coaching the Gopher football team and having epilepsy is not threatening Jerry Kill's life. It's mind boggling to me that people think a school like the University of Minnesota is not going to fully understand how epilepsy affects their head coach.

I believe he had zero during Northern Illinois games but had two during games when he was at Southern Illinois. People act like this is something new. Jerry Kill had his first in-game seizure in 2001 while coaching the Salukis. It must have really affected his team's morale there. He only became the school's all time best head coach.

HandoEX
09-14-2013, 11:10 PM
exactly over football, I know he probably loves it but its not worth it. you can tell his stress is high, look at him and 3-4 seizures since taking over the Gophers??

wow

What is this based on? Show me something that says that coaching the Gophers has lead to Jerry Kill having more seizures or more dangerous seizures than he had before coming to Minnesota.

tjbison
09-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Yes, there have been plenty of people that have died from having seizures. I'm not discrediting that at all. My point is that the combination of coaching the Gopher football team and having epilepsy is not threatening Jerry Kill's life. It's mind boggling to me that people think a school like the University of Minnesota is not going to fully understand how epilepsy affects their head coach.

I believe he had zero during Northern Illinois games but had two during games when he was at Southern Illinois. People act like this is something new. Jerry Kill had his first in-game seizure in 2001 while coaching the Salukis. It must have really affected his team's morale there. He only became the school's all time best head coach.

the whole point is they are becoming way more frequent, and frequency becomes more dangerous.

but obviously he is healthy as a horse and completely on top of his game, questions will arise guaranteed

HandoEX
09-14-2013, 11:21 PM
the whole point is they are becoming way more frequent, and frequency becomes more dangerous.

but obviously he is healthy as a horse and completely on top of his game, questions will arise guaranteed
Or are you just assuming he's having more since you now hear about ones that the media reports? Honest question. He had well over 100 seizures before getting to the Gopher job.

td577
09-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Or are you just assuming he's having more since you now hear about ones that the media reports? Honest question. He had well over 100 seizures before getting to the Gopher job.

I think those are the questions going through the mind if those intimately involved.

The good thing Kill has going for him is that obviously the performance standard is pretty low. You would actually have to be dead before performance would be an issue there.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

1998braves64
09-15-2013, 02:20 AM
Justin Conzemius on Power Trip said a couple of weeks ago that he hadn't had any major episodes for nearly a year (was it last year when he had a pretty significant one that he had to miss the next week too?) and they felt they had it under control. The coaches he has around him have been around him quite awhile so I'm sure they know what they have to do and that it may come up at any time.

I'm sure U knew this hiring him, it wasn't like he'd never had seizures prior to coaching at Minnesota.

Yes he could die from a seizure but the fact that he is on medication and no doubt the team doctor is well versed in what he has to do for him. I wouldn't be too concerned.

loudsilverado
09-15-2013, 03:21 AM
"Good Grief" is my new catch phrase thanks to Hando.

tjbison
09-15-2013, 03:58 AM

based on him having 3 on the field, and my direct knowledge of side effects and possible outcomes that doctors have told my family member it's all my opinion he isn't helping himself by taking the huge stress involved in being a BCS college Football coach. wether you agree or not is fine, I'm just a guy that loves sports but also loves life more and I feel he is setting himself up for a bad ending. if you don't agree fine but I have witnessed episodes personally and seen the effects it's not as easy as people think to just jump back into the flow.

and no I know nothing about the personal history for Kill, but if you collapsing 3-4 times a year on National TV on the sidelines of your football team it's not a good deal, especially if he is on the medication that means he's really firing bad. I feel for the guy not trying to fight about it or bring him down just think he needs to relax a bit for his own well being and family. Lets not forget a doctor can really only recommend you a solution and not force a solution.

onbison09
09-15-2013, 05:00 PM

Likely this. It can happen but most of the time you come through fine. My mom has it.

heckler
10-05-2013, 05:35 PM
CBS Sports reports that Kill had a seizure this morning and will not coach at Michigan.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/24020294/minnesota-coach-jerry-kill-has-seizure-not-coaching-at-michigan

BisonTeacher
10-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Goph pregame show said he wasnt feeling good yesterday so didnt make the flight...then had the seizure this morning. Poor guy.

North Side
10-05-2013, 11:47 PM
I always cheer against the gophers. I like kill he is a nice guy in all. I wish him good health, but the more the gophers loose the better NDSU looks to Twin Cities kids.

mebisonII
10-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Don't want to rag on the guy, but you'd think that at some point he starts getting pressure to 'step-down'. Already hard to recruit to UMN, and its got to get harder when you start to assume the HC will be missing game time.

runtheoption
10-06-2013, 04:18 AM
This really sucks for Kill. I hope everything is ok for him.

At what point does "work attendance" become an issue? How many games or parts of games has he missed as the U of MN coach? Now compare that to those 10-15 days of work every year you and I absolutely cannot miss because of something very important going on. Games are obviously the most important part of being a coach...if you can't be there, you shouldn't be in the job.

tjbison
10-06-2013, 02:43 PM
sad, I stand by my earlier posts in this thread

Guy needs to hang it up

BisonTeacher
10-06-2013, 02:51 PM
If you ever listen to Mason on Barriero, he talks about how ruthless recruiting is. YOu know other coaches are using this against Minn. Not that they need to but, again...minn has enough trouble recruiting.

The_Sicatoka
10-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Mr. Kill needs to accept that his job and his health status do not mesh well. I suspect the stress of his job makes his other condition more acute.

Mr. Kill and his employer need to take an honest look at how this affects all involved.

And NDSU fans should be worried how it could impact them, or more specifically, Craig Bohl.

BisonTeacher
10-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Mr. Kill needs to accept that his job and his health status do not mesh well. I suspect the stress of his job makes his other condition more acute.

Mr. Kill and his employer need to take an honest look at how this affects all involved.

And NDSU fans should be worried how it could impact them, or more specifically, Craig Bohl.

IF.....we lose Bohl to an fbs team...it wont be minn. Hes smarter than that.

loudsilverado
10-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Lots of coaches step down when health issues start affecting their performance. George Karl stepped down when he was battling cancer with the Nuggets for example. They expect their players to do "what's best for the team", I feel coaches need to do the same.

BisonNation11
10-06-2013, 05:03 PM

I would be willing to bet Coach Bohl has enough common sense in him to not go to a football program with absolutely no history or tradition to it.

EndZoneQB
10-06-2013, 05:19 PM

Eh. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the Nebraska job than the UMN job. Some say it's a huge long shot for that to happen...but that's kind of my point...lol

westnodak93bison
10-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Bohl would coach circles around Bo Pelini.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

tcbison
10-07-2013, 08:09 PM

Coach Bohl has interviewed with the Gophers before. AD Maturi told WDAY that "you can't believe how happy he(Coach Bohl) is at NDSU."

KSBisonFan
10-10-2013, 08:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9803487/jerry-kill-going-stay-away-minnesota-treat-epilepsy

Coach Kill taking a break for treatment. Hope he can overcome this.

TransAmBison
10-10-2013, 08:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9803487/jerry-kill-going-stay-away-minnesota-treat-epilepsy

Coach Kill taking a break for treatment. Hope he can overcome this.My guess is he is done coaching the Gophers. I do wish him the best either way, though.

Mayville Bison
10-10-2013, 09:01 PM

I read that as taking a break from treatment and was thinking why would he do that? Glad he's taking care of himself, but it was nice to see the Gophers turn back in the right direction. Good luck to him!

td577
10-10-2013, 10:58 PM
He is done. He is going to get away from the game a bit and get healthier and realize his health is a larger issue than coaching. Maybe he stays on some lesser role with the team, but I don't think he will be coaching this program any longer.

HerdBot
10-10-2013, 11:29 PM

Shows how strrssful it is coaching on a bad team in the Big 10. He never had this problem at SIU or NIU. Enter the Gophers and its the norm. Too bad he is a really good coach. He's not a quitter and I expect him back

The_Sicatoka
10-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Pure Devil's Advocate here (because I see Bohl aiming higher than UMn), but ...

Bohl took over a program at a bottom and brought it all the way back. Imagine the legend he'd be in UMn history, and Big Ten history for that matter, if he got UMn back to a Rose Bowl and contending for FBS crystal.

PS - Won't the UMn stadium be home to another team for a couple seasons upcoming here also?

BisonTeacher
10-11-2013, 09:32 PM

Bohl took over a program at a bottom and brought it all the way back. Imagine the legend he'd be in UMn history, and Big Ten history for that matter, if he got UMn back to a Rose Bowl and contending for FBS crystal.

PS - Won't the UMn stadium be home to another team for a couple seasons upcoming here also?

You wish bohl would leave!!!!

The_Sicatoka
10-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Yes. For some reasons for him (he can do more in his career) and some admittedly selfish by me. Guilty as charged.

Hammersmith
10-11-2013, 10:10 PM

Disagree. The record may have looked bad, but all the pieces were there to fix things quickly. It was a combination of switching schemes(veer to WCO) and injuries that led to an 8-loss season. For all his faults, Babich got most of the hard work done before the end. The missing piece Bohl brought was the Tampa 2 and the coaches to teach it. I don't think the UM job is the same type of situation. Now go out and clone Tim Miles and retrain him as a football coach and you'd be onto something.

a simplistic view of the circumstances, I agree

GCWaters
10-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Souhan at the Star-Trib says they should rehire Mason, now:

"Kaler and Teague should admit their shortcomings and hire Glen Mason as their football czar.

Maybe Mason becomes the interim head coach. Maybe he becomes the long-term coach. Maybe he becomes the U’s football athletic director. Maybe he becomes a one-man search committee for Kill’s replacement.

They should leave it up to him. He’s far more qualified to handle any of those jobs than they are."

And:

"Mason is the best coach the Gophers have had since they were silly enough to think Holtz might stick around longer than a head cold. He’s hanging out in Minneapolis, working for the Big Ten Network and playing golf with guys such as John Randle. He wouldn’t take any job, but he would take this job if the U made the right offer.

Mason is the only qualified head coach or football decisionmaker Kaler and Teague have any hopes of luring to the U. They should hire him and get out of the way."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/227323811.html

tony
10-12-2013, 08:38 PM

Bohl took over a program at a bottom and brought it all the way back.

Heh, in what universe was NDSU's program at the bottom?

BisonTeacher
10-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Souhan at the Star-Trib says they should rehire Mason, now:

"Kaler and Teague should admit their shortcomings and hire Glen Mason as their football czar.

Maybe Mason becomes the interim head coach. Maybe he becomes the long-term coach. Maybe he becomes the U’s football athletic director. Maybe he becomes a one-man search committee for Kill’s replacement.

They should leave it up to him. He’s far more qualified to handle any of those jobs than they are."

And:

"Mason is the best coach the Gophers have had since they were silly enough to think Holtz might stick around longer than a head cold. He’s hanging out in Minneapolis, working for the Big Ten Network and playing golf with guys such as John Randle. He wouldn’t take any job, but he would take this job if the U made the right offer.

Mason is the only qualified head coach or football decisionmaker Kaler and Teague have any hopes of luring to the U. They should hire him and get out of the way."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/227323811.html

Thats not the answer. That would just maintain the status quo.

tcbison
10-13-2013, 02:05 AM
The Gophers had some very big wins when Mason was coach. They beat Michigan and Ohio State which is something they haven't done since Mason was fired. However, if I was Mason I would probably just stick to being an announcer and not going back to the place that fired him after losing a bowl game.

BisonTeacher
10-13-2013, 02:47 AM
The Gophers had some very big wins when Mason was coach. They beat Michigan and Ohio State which is something they haven't done since Mason was fired. However, if I was Mason I would probably just stick to being an announcer and not going back to the place that fired him after losing a bowl game.

They also had some epic losses to the same teams you mentioned. I remember being at the michigan game where we were up by 4 tds i think heading into the 4th qtr and lost. Perry screen pass left then right. Couldnt stop it. He never had a defense. Sure he had 2 3000yard rushers the one year...but it doesnt matter how many points you score if the opponent scores more. You have to stop somebody. In addition...mason would try to outcoach himself with in game decisions. Trying to do something cute instead of doing what he should have. i like mason as an announcer.Really enjoy him on barriero. Going back to him literally would be a step back for the gophers. Unless you are happy with cupcake non conf and going to a crappy bowl with 1 or 2 big ten victories.

The_Sicatoka
10-14-2013, 02:29 AM
Heh, in what universe was NDSU's program at the bottom?

A 3-8 record surely isn't the top.

344Johnson
10-14-2013, 05:39 AM
A 3-8 record surely isn't the top.

Programs and teams are two different things.

HerdBot
10-14-2013, 07:53 AM
They also had some epic losses to the same teams you mentioned. I remember being at the michigan game where we were up by 4 tds i think heading into the 4th qtr and lost. Perry screen pass left then right. Couldnt stop it. He never had a defense. Sure he had 2 3000yard rushers the one year...but it doesnt matter how many points you score if the opponent scores more. You have to stop somebody. In addition...mason would try to outcoach himself with in game decisions. Trying to do something cute instead of doing what he should have. i like mason as an announcer.Really enjoy him on barriero. Going back to him literally would be a step back for the gophers. Unless you are happy with cupcake non conf and going to a crappy bowl with 1 or 2 big ten victories.

Mason a step down? Mason went 500 or better 4 times and had them ranked twice. He finished in the top 10 under Kansas. Heck Lou Holtz never did better than 500 and was never ranked. The. He goes to a dedicated school and becomes legendary (then a few years later the ncaa penalized the gopbers for his infractions

The gopbers will always suck until they make some significant changes

BisonTeacher
10-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Mason a step down?

I didnt say down...I said step back, as in not forward.

The gopbers will always suck until they make some significant changes

So you think going back to Mason will be a significant change??? cuz thats what we were debating. I don't disagree that drastic changes need to be made, but going back to glen Mason would not be significant in my book. The only way things change at MInn is if they steal an Urban Meyer or a Nick Sabin away which will never happen. Or if the baby jesus of football players is born into a house of gopher fans. Otherwise they are stuck. Can we all look back and say they shouldnt have fired mason for brewster? Hind site is 20/20. But going back to that doesnt solve the problem...it gets us back to where we were. At the time the fanbase wanted more than the status quo at the time= 500 record (most wins against cupcakes) and a crappy bowl bid. They wanted to compete for the big ten title and make a BCS bowl. Again...the luxury of hindsight its easy to say that is better than where they are now, but again...is that all Minnesota wants to be? or do they want to be a contender each year? If so, Going BACK to mason is not the answer.

heckler
10-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Funny how fans from other teams can't accept that Coach Bohl actually wants to be here and that NDSU is actually a premier job for a head coach in the region.

BisonTeacher
10-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Barreiro saying Kill was in the building yesterday at northwestern.

Edit...apparently he was in the press box during the game and spoke to the team before the game and at half.

How is that taking a break?

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/30700000/WE-WERE-ON-A-BREAK-jenjen_bunny-30737469-272-200.gif

1998braves64
10-20-2013, 08:40 PM
News article said he was in a private box. Having complete separation could be stressful too...
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

KSBisonFan
10-20-2013, 11:40 PM
Barreiro saying Kill was in the building yesterday at northwestern.

Edit...apparently he was in the press box during the game and spoke to the team before the game and at half.

How is that taking a break?

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/30700000/WE-WERE-ON-A-BREAK-jenjen_bunny-30737469-272-200.gif

News article said he was in a private box. Having complete separation could be stressful too...
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

I watched the game and Kill was in the Gopher's coach's box. Didn't look like he was giving any coaching instructions though. The announcers said his wife drove him to the game and he talked to the team at halftime.

bisonmike2
10-21-2013, 04:13 PM
I didnt say down...I said step back, as in not forward.

So you think going back to Mason will be a significant change??? cuz thats what we were debating. I don't disagree that drastic changes need to be made, but going back to glen Mason would not be significant in my book. The only way things change at MInn is if they steal an Urban Meyer or a Nick Sabin away which will never happen. Or if the baby jesus of football players is born into a house of gopher fans. Otherwise they are stuck. Can we all look back and say they shouldnt have fired mason for brewster? Hind site is 20/20. But going back to that doesnt solve the problem...it gets us back to where we were. At the time the fanbase wanted more than the status quo at the time= 500 record (most wins against cupcakes) and a crappy bowl bid. They wanted to compete for the big ten title and make a BCS bowl. Again...the luxury of hindsight its easy to say that is better than where they are now, but again...is that all Minnesota wants to be? or do they want to be a contender each year? If so, Going BACK to mason is not the answer.

At least with Mason they were respectable. They were almost always guaranteed a bowl and they were usually never an easy win for the big boys. Occasionally they surprised people. I wonder how the new stadium would have helped him in recruiting. Maybe it would have made a difference, maybe not but Mason was a good coach. I do think Kill is similar to Mason in many ways but I don't think his health problems are going to allow him to get the Goophers back to the same level Mason had them at.