PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Reason Why I LOVE the Bison Walk On Program

BisonNeil
09-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Very nice article in today's Forum by Jeff Kolpack on walk on Eric Perkins. Sounds like a great kid. I love guys like Perkins and Moody who really want to be Bison.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/411884/group/Sports/

I think it is completely crazy that Bohl and his staff have been able to attract walk ons like Lang, Haeg, Moody, Perkins, LaVoy, Luecke, and Schaetz and have them make the two deep roster and make significant contributions. Have I missed anyone?

tjbison
09-12-2013, 03:28 PM
I love it, kids with heart will play with pride

glad he is here

HerdBot
09-12-2013, 03:39 PM
I remember seeing his high school highlights thinking he was going to be a playmaker.
Quick feet. The Ryan Smith comparison is a good one. Smith is faster but Perkins seems to have great shiftiness and moves .

Kermit
09-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Very nice article in today's Forum by Jeff Kolpack on walk on Eric Perkins. Sounds like a great kid. I love guys like Perkins and Moody who really want to be Bison.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/411884/group/Sports/

I think it is completely crazy that Bohl and his staff have been able to attract walk ons like Lang, Haeg, Moody, Perkins, LaVoy, Luecke, and Schaetz and have them make the two deep roster and make significant contributions. Have I missed anyone?

Agree 100%. Andrew Nack is another former walk-on who is now on the 2-deep and who played last week. Other walk-ons who played against Ferris State include Darius Anderson, Jed Cyr, Jacob Lesar, Alex Fontaine, Tory Dalbec, Zach Baker, and Tom Barneson.

Professor Chaos
09-12-2013, 05:14 PM
It's very telling to read how Perkins uses Joe Haeg as an example to strive for. Walk on programs are built by the guys who are already major contributors being examples for the guys just starting up and showing them that the coaches will give you an equal opportunity with the scholarship players. Certain coaching staffs *cough*Brewster*cough* don't have that mentality because they don't have open minds when it comes to evaluating walk on versus scholarship talent.

1998braves64
09-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Wasn't Grothmann originally a preferred walk on?
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Scooter1
09-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Wasn't Grothmann originally a preferred walk on?
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

According to the 2/9/2009 press release, Grothmann was not a preferred walk on but one of three ND athletes who received scholarships. Two are left the other left due to a "wardrobe malfunction" :facepalm:

THEsocalledfan
09-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Quick question I can't remember the answer too.....

If a walk on becomes a regular contributor, do they get moved to at least some scholarship if good and valuable enough to the team? I sure hope so......

TAILG8R
09-12-2013, 09:36 PM

If a walk on becomes a regular contributor, do they get moved to at least some scholarship if good and valuable enough to the team? I sure hope so......

Yes this has happened in the past.

SamsRams
09-12-2013, 09:44 PM

absolutely. i have spoke with recruits who were walk ons and partials and they were told the more you contribute the more money you can earn

last week i wanted to watch the young guys, but i have to say one guy whostood out to me was Nack

bisonaudit
09-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Yes this has happened in the past.

Scholarships are year to year so a walk-on can play their way into a scholarship.