PDA

View Full Version : Final thoughts on the Ferris St. game

THEsocalledfan
09-09-2013, 03:04 AM
Well, thanks to the magic of ESPN 3 (I could not record this like K st. since not on real TV here), I was able to watch the replay. Some thoughts (won't be as many as K St.):

1. One thought that occurred to me as you watched those seniors who were recruited out right form under Brewster's nose, is just how much will life change for NDSU with a competent Goopher coach? I can't help but wonder if a big part of NDSU success is Brewster's utter incompetence? How else do you explain Williams, Turner, Vraa, and Olson all playing for NDSU? I know Williams had some academic issues that were legit, but I sure have not heard much about the others.....
2. This is probably obvious, but no way Vraa scores his TD if he is open on that same play at K St. Good example of the speed difference. Another example is when Crockett took the corner on his TD.
3. Beck is probably even scarier with short hair. Honestly, that man scares me.
4. Jensen throws one of the nicest deep balls I have ever seen at NDSU. I remember that was the type of throws that established him as the starter as a freshman and it was great to see them again. On the Vraa ball, he did a good job being sure he did not over throw him since he was so open. He also plopped one right in Smith's hands perfectly that I still am in shock he did not catch.
5. Why did Bohl wait to bring in Wentz with the full second team? Honestly, I think a back up QB needs a chance to run with the big boys sometimes so they know what their speed and execution is like in a game. I thought that was a mistake.
6. How much does a bushel of soybeans weigh? I DON'T F'ING CARE! And I thought the Gate City logos were obnoxious....
7. Feeney was good; the rest of the booth guys (I like Jamal) should be fired. They were horrible and honestly maybe worse than Hammer quality. (Who knew anyone could be that bad?) Get Eddie back.
8. The long catch Perkins had with Jensen still in was a great play. Is there possibly life after Smith is gone?
9. If you want a good chuckle, there was a play in the second quarter that Crockett ran after he had gotten the corner earlier for a TD. He was basically again trying to turn the corner in the red zone, and Ferris, to their credit, was doing everything they could to contain him. So, he is running full speed to the sideline, and 3 guys come flying to keep contain, basically out of control. Crockett simply stops as he step out of bounds, and the three Ferris players crash into each other flying out of bounds out of control. It looked like the Keystone cops.
10. The refs were horrible. I did not realize this, but in the new referee quality scoring system, this was below the "Fette" level.
11. Glad the offense threw a lot of balls; sure that was good for timing work. They clearly could have run more if they wanted.
12. How big a thrill must that have been for Chase Morlock when he scored? I am sure he was at games last year as a simple fan, and now he is a budding star. How cool is that?
13. I hereby deem Zack Colvin the greatest mop up defender of all time. Seriously, he plays like the game is on the line no matter what the score. I have to believe he will find his way onto the field with the first team at some point.

That it; just not much to say.

GradBison
09-09-2013, 03:14 AM
Nice thoughts, very disappointed Carson wasn't in earlier.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?31004-GDT-Ferris-State-at-NDSU&p=761853#post761853

Why wasn't Carson in sooner? I don't get it... it's like #11 and #18 from a few years ago all over again.
Why not put him in so he could have a decent series or 2 and attempt more than 3 passes. And on top of it all, Brock could've gotten hurt on that one play when we're up by 30.

DjKyRo
09-09-2013, 03:16 AM
Regarding Colvin, I thought it was cool to see his effort late in the game. I think a lot of Ferris State's production was due to NDSU's defense just kind of phoning it in, which I'm sure is easy to do when you're up by 30-40 in the second half. Most guys would've picked it then run out of bounds late, but no, he wanted the endzone. That kind of effort will make him a starter next year.

DjKyRo
09-09-2013, 03:17 AM
Nice thoughts, very disappointed Carson wasn't in earlier.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?31004-GDT-Ferris-State-at-NDSU&p=761853#post761853

It's only the second game of the season - I'm sure they want Jensen to be fully prepped before conference play. I'm sure if we have a blowout over MSU or something Wentz will be in.

Ndsu84
09-09-2013, 03:19 AM
I read your post wrong and thought you were complaining Brock didn't stay in. Wentz needs more snaps, get him in when we can.

MNLonghorn10
09-09-2013, 03:19 AM
14. The FC needs a better battery

BisonNation11
09-09-2013, 03:22 AM
I did notice the Crockett play before you shared your thoughts. I loved how he just stood there looking at them like "Really???" Williams hit was huge! Would have liked to see him wrap up through the tackle, but a great shot none-the-less. The call on Shepard was BS. Incidental contact with his helmet to the receivers face mask (hardly any contact) is the only thing I can imagine they saw. It was simply a solid tackle/hit. The officials sucked (sorry Indy). Glad to see Bohl get fired up about the ejection. Brock's INT was on a timing route over the middle and the TE was knocked off his route. Not much you can do there. Perkins is the real deal. Pissed the back ups on both sides of the ball hardly got any playing time. Deluca will be a beast. Morlock will be as well. You can see he has the drive and effort to become a star. That's all.

number1bisonfan
09-09-2013, 03:24 AM
Was it just me, or is the sound system in the Dome due for a major upgrade? We sat in the endzone and couldn't hear a word they said. The video screens in the corners could be upgraded as well. Otherwise, fabulous environment and game. It just seems like they could really do some tech upgrades.

roadwarrior
09-09-2013, 10:04 AM
I looked around the dome about halfway through the first quarter and it was pretty difficult to find many open blue seats. Very surprising considering the opponent. Most of the empty seats probably belonged to the people in line for the ATM.

CaBisonFan
09-09-2013, 11:45 AM
The weakness of the Ferris State defense threw off the timing of our offense. Some of the same with our defense.

In a strange sort of way, it was a difficult game.

tjbison
09-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Was it just me, or is the sound system in the Dome due for a major upgrade? We sat in the endzone and couldn't hear a word they said. The video screens in the corners could be upgraded as well. Otherwise, fabulous environment and game. It just seems like they could really do some tech upgrades.

pretty sure they did a couple yrs ago

Tony Almeida
09-09-2013, 12:26 PM

You're beating a dead horse dude...New sound system, longer "Thunderstruck" intro (wait til entire team is out of the tunnel and let them warm up to it b4 shutting it down), turn up the volume (first take away all the walkie-talkies from the old farts wearing the purple shirts or whoever is in charge, and new HD video boards where the 2 large scroreboards hang now. Oh and don't kick out fans after the game just sitting in their seats trying to take it all in...all I'm asking for is 5 minutes! Shit there's still a million kids playing catch on the field after the game so what's the F***ing hurry?!

Sorry but I've been complaining about this for a while...

Professor Chaos
09-09-2013, 01:55 PM
4. Jensen throws one of the nicest deep balls I have ever seen at NDSU. I remember that was the type of throws that established him as the starter as a freshman and it was great to see them again. On the Vraa ball, he did a good job being sure he did not over throw him since he was so open.
I don't know about the underthrow on this play being a good thing. I was in the end zone behind Jensen and it was pretty easy to see Vraa break open well before Jensen released the ball. We didn't have to worry about a pass rush though to I'll give him some slack on that but the ball was very underthrown. I would've liked to see him throw it further to the back post cuz it would've been as easy TD but a 40 yard pass play is never a bad thing.

Gully
09-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Something was clearly wrong with the sound system. It was much better after the upgrade but was brutal again yesterday. Something to do with the Friday night concert maybe?

HerdBot
09-09-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't think we got all the good Minnesota players because of Brewster. We beat out our MVFC teams for those guys

I think our team and crowd got a little bored in the 2nd half. Talk about an ass whooping of epic proportions. I was actually kind of bored

Rematched on TV and it looked and sounded great. That was a D1 production

THEsocalledfan
09-09-2013, 03:25 PM
I don't know about the underthrow on this play being a good thing. I was in the end zone behind Jensen and it was pretty easy to see Vraa break open well before Jensen released the ball. We didn't have to worry about a pass rush though to I'll give him some slack on that but the ball was very underthrown. I would've liked to see him throw it further to the back post cuz it would've been as easy TD but a 40 yard pass play is never a bad thing.

You made my point with your final comment..... cardinal rule for Qb in that situation is not to overthrow.....assure the completion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tcbison
09-09-2013, 04:06 PM
I know Grant Olson had an injury that scared some of the recruiters off. Plus one of the LBs he played with went to Stanford and the other one also went to a DI school. I have no idea why so many DI schools passed on Billy Turner. That one is a mystery to me.

CAS4127
09-09-2013, 04:09 PM
I was not happy with our run defense. Hopefully it is not telling of what is to come when we face a good running QB who is running the read/zone option. We just can not afford those kind of yards. Perhaps we didn't play to our potential, but is should have been better regardless.

Dubbsy
09-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Something was clearly wrong with the sound system.

Short answer, yes. Some typical first game gremlins compounded by a big event the night before. Didn't help most of the core technical staff had done a 26 hour day and was running on only a couple hours sleep.

stevdock
09-09-2013, 05:25 PM
I was not happy with our run defense. Hopefully it is not telling of what is to come when we face a good running QB who is running the read/zone option. We just can not afford those kind of yards. Perhaps we didn't play to our potential, but is should have been better regardless.

Agreed. Plus it sounded like the defensive players understood that too and will make sure to get it changed. Grant made a big deal about that in his press conference.

BisonNation11
09-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Does anyone know what kind of offense Delaware St. runs? I'm hoping it's more traditional so we can see the backups in sooner. Sorry, didn't want to start a new thread.

BisonNeil
09-09-2013, 05:35 PM
I know Grant Olson had an injury that scared some of the recruiters off. Plus one of the LBs he played with went to Stanford and the other one also went to a DI school. I have no idea why so many DI schools passed on Billy Turner. That one is a mystery to me.

Actually, it was Turner that had a knee injury early in his senior year that scared away other schools, other than UNI where his brother played. Olson did not have an injury, he was just deemed too short, light, and slow by most DI schools. However, he committed to NDSU early and actually played a significant role in recruiting other metro players, telling them to go to NDSU with him and win a national championship.

MAKBison
09-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Yeah, i guess, but on the other hand so what. Does that mean I get a few $ of the domes portion of my ticket back because they booked a concert the night before a game. I mean if the shoe was on the other foot would the dome give me the benefit of the doubt. if BV is any indication the answer is a resounding no, thus why should they get a pass.

Short answer, yes. Some typical first game gremlins compounded by a big event the night before. Didn't help most of the core technical staff had done a 26 hour day and was running on only a couple hours sleep.

Dubbsy
09-09-2013, 07:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDCtVM1vANM&t=1m5s Turner doing work.

tjamz
09-09-2013, 08:22 PM

Should have called me. We coulda hoisted the Frisco Cruiser up to the rafters.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

CaBisonFan
09-09-2013, 08:59 PM
In response to BisonNation11's question...couldn't get his quote to appear here.

Delaware St. runs some type of spread offense. They have a transfer from San Jose State at QB. Decent runner. Some empty backfield plays with receivers bunched often. I'm not a good X & O person. I've got the recording of their game with Delaware.

DSU returns one starter on the offensive line. The team looks to be pretty athletic, but lacks experience as a team.

EndZoneQB
09-09-2013, 09:37 PM
15. The Horny Bison Hooch(I think it's called) is delicious. Thanks!

PS I saved the bottle but with bus issues I forgot to give it to you. I'll have it for you at DSU.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-10-2013, 06:15 PM
16. Grothman's touchdown. Great to see that it worked twice. :)

EndZoneQB
09-10-2013, 07:09 PM
17. My brother in law made sure I was on the kiss cam.

runtheoption
09-10-2013, 07:41 PM
17. My brother in law made sure I was on the kiss cam. They way you were going at it with that chick, I couldn't help but think of Rusty telling Clark Griswold, "Hey Dad, I think he's gonna pork her!"

KSBisonFan
09-10-2013, 07:46 PM
17. My brother in law made sure I was on the kiss cam.

They way you were going at it with that chick, I couldn't help but think of Rusty telling Clark Griswold, "Hey Dad, I think he's gonna pork her!"

EZ's brother in law is a chick? Whatever, I guess.

56BISON73
09-10-2013, 09:15 PM
1. One thought that occurred to me as you watched those seniors who were recruited out right form under Brewster's nose, is just how much will life change for NDSU with a competent Goopher coach? I can't help but wonder if a big part of NDSU success is Brewster's utter incompetence? How else do you explain Williams, Turner, Vraa, and Olson all playing for NDSU? I know Williams had some academic issues that were legit, but I sure have not heard much about the others..

The one thing Brew was good at was recruiting. He was just a terrible head coach. But back to the point at hand. How could he miss these players? Easy. There are thousands of HS players that teams hear about. You only have so many schollies to give out in each given year. NDSU takes players that need to be developed. The Bigs dont have the luxury of taking on a majority of there recruits as Projects to see if they will pan out. The attrition rate is quite high as it is. Every coach knows that there are others players out there that they could recruit and who could play. But you cant offer and recruit everyone.

THEsocalledfan
09-10-2013, 09:28 PM
The one thing Brew was good at was recruiting. He was just a terrible head coach. But back to the point at hand. How could he miss these players? Easy. There are thousands of HS players that teams hear about. You only have so many schollies to give out in each given year. NDSU takes players that need to be developed. The Bigs dont have the luxury of taking on a majority of there recruits as Projects to see if they will pan out. The attrition rate is quite high as it is. Every coach knows that there are others players out there that they could recruit and who could play. But you cant offer and recruit everyone.

bohl made a similar comment during his pressor about being in Nebraska basically saying good players will be missed by the big boys as they also only have so many scholies; just nature of the beast.

Bison_Pride
09-16-2013, 12:23 AM
I don't know if these vids were posted anywhere else, but they are a cool behind the scenes look you don't normally see from an opponent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sDMbNKKMlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf3X_rlnUFI

EndZoneQB
09-16-2013, 01:00 AM
They way you were going at it with that chick, I couldn't help but think of Rusty telling Clark Griswold, "Hey Dad, I think he's gonna pork her!"

Jelly?

I was decently tore up and the whole thing took me by surprise, I did what I do best: make it happen.