PDA

View Full Version : Football walk-on

Boardwalk30
09-06-2013, 04:10 AM
Hey guys, I realize my post count is low and all, I've been lurking the forums for a while and I just had to make an account to ask you guys a question. Does anybody know anything about the walk-on program here @ NDSU? For example, I've heard NDSU has to carry a couple walk-on spots each year, and so it would obviously not be a forgotten effort. Or perhaps any info as to when the tryouts would happen. Tips? Haha sorry about the complete ambiguity of the questions, but I'm just looking for a bit of information regarding it, and just wanted to see if you guys knew anything. Obviously if this plan folds out I would have to contact the athletic department to actually get concrete info, but I thought for pure speculative purposes you guys could perhaps help me out. Thanks a ton!

CAS4127
09-06-2013, 04:16 AM
Hey guys, I realize my post count is low and all, I've been lurking the forums for a while and I just had to make an account to ask you guys a question. Does anybody know anything about the walk-on program here @ NDSU? For example, I've heard NDSU has to carry a couple walk-on spots each year, and so it would obviously not be a forgotten effort. Or perhaps any info as to when the tryouts would happen. Tips? Haha sorry about the complete ambiguity of the questions, but I'm just looking for a bit of information regarding it, and just wanted to see if you guys knew anything. Obviously if this plan folds out I would have to contact the athletic department to actually get concrete info, but I thought for pure speculative purposes you guys could perhaps help me out. Thanks a ton!

Picture and stats or it doesn't happen!! :)

Someone with knowledge will chime in. There is a preferred walk-on program, I know that.

Have you done your homework?!

About time for bed??

I kid--hope you get your answer and welcome to the Madhouse that it Bisonville-->see sigline!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

SamsRams
09-06-2013, 04:42 AM
PWO is when coaches invite you to walk on and basically guarantees you get a spot on the roster.

They had regular tryouts once school started and fall camp was finished. Some of those were even PWO guys as they had reached their limit for fall camp attendees.

Can you try out later in the year....I am not sure on that. I believe there is a limit for how many players you can carry during the season, but I am not positive in the number.

Boardwalk30
09-06-2013, 04:53 AM
To be clear, I was talking about looking to do it for next year.

GOBISON123
09-06-2013, 04:58 AM

If I were you brother, I would go to Coach Bohl's office tell the lady at the front desk that i want to talk to Coach Bohl and when I meet Coach Bohl just slam my ID on the table LOOK him in the eye and tell him, Coach I want to play, I want to start as a PWO. When can I start.

I dont care if there is a limit or what not, "Where there is a will there is a way"

56BISON73
09-06-2013, 04:59 AM

Call the football office. Ask for the recruiting coordinator. He will give you all the info. They are going to need to see film of your play from last year and this year as well. Walkons are treated just like recruits now. Its rare that they let a person just walk on with out knowing their potential.

56BISON73
09-06-2013, 05:00 AM
If I were you brother, I would go to Coach Bohl's office tell the lady at the front desk that i want to talk to Coach Bohl and when I meet Coach Bohl just slam my ID on the table LOOK him in the eye and tell him, Coach I want to play, I want to start as a PWO. When can I start.

I dont care if there is a limit or what not, "Where there is a will there is a way"

How old are you?

SamsRams
09-06-2013, 05:05 AM

recruiting violation right here. Do not encourage athletes to attend and play for NDSU.

2 week ban seems appropriate!!

MAKBison
09-06-2013, 05:08 AM
:biggrin::facepalm::biggrin:
recruiting violation right here. Do not encourage athletes to attend and play for NDSU.

GOBISON123
09-06-2013, 05:18 AM

Shit my bad :facepalm:

BisonTeacher
09-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Picture and stats or it doesn't happen!! :)

This thread just got a little weird.

Bisonwinagn
09-06-2013, 01:02 PM

I assume this was meant to be a joke, but their is absolutely nothing in the comment that says anything about attending NDSU, so not sure how you even came up with that comment.

Boardwalk30
09-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Call the football office. Ask for the recruiting coordinator. He will give you all the info. They are going to need to see film of your play from last year and this year as well. Walkons are treated just like recruits now. Its rare that they let a person just walk on with out knowing their potential.

I'll give a little disclaimer/back story. I'm a sophomore, so I've been out of football for 2 years. My high school tape is largely uninspiring. I weighed between 300-320 lbs my senior year. We had just switched to a 3-4, and I was the biggest kid on the team (not by weight), so I was nose tackle. Plugged up holes, didn't do a whole lot else.

So, now that I have the bad part out, let's go with the good. I've lost 75 lbs in the last year, and now sit at 245. Still continuing to lose fat, and gain muscle. I hope for even more results in this school year (before I'd be trying out). So, easy to say not only am I in much better shape than in HS, but my position has obviously changed. I'm thinking either DE or TE. I'm 6'8", and not to toot my own horn, but I have pretty damn soft hands (which are pretty damn big too). The other side of that is that I've always loved playing on the defensive line, and my frame lends itself to DE.

So yeah, there's a bit more info.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Bison"FANatic"
09-06-2013, 01:49 PM
NDSU has a very good walk on program and many walk ons have flourished here. Moody, Luecke, new runningback Anderson and more. If you have the drive and a dream just contact whatever coach you want to play for be it NDSU, Valleycity, Jamestown or whoever. People have one chance in life to follow their dreams, just don't be in the position to look back and say what could have been. If that is what you want to do the coaches at NDSU and other colleges will be brutally honest with you and will tell you if you have a shot or if you should try out somewhere else. Sometimes the unconventional roads are the most fun roads to follow in the end.

Bisonator98
09-06-2013, 01:50 PM
I'll give a little disclaimer/back story. I'm a sophomore, so I've been out of football for 2 years. My high school tape is largely uninspiring. I weighed between 300-320 lbs my senior year. We had just switched to a 3-4, and I was the biggest kid on the team (not by weight), so I was nose tackle. Plugged up holes, didn't do a whole lot else.

So, now that I have the bad part out, let's go with the good. I've lost 75 lbs in the last year, and now sit at 245. Still continuing to lose fat, and gain muscle. I hope for even more results in this school year (before I'd be trying out). So, easy to say not only am I in much better shape than in HS, but my position has obviously changed. I'm thinking either DE or TE. I'm 6'8", and not to toot my own horn, but I have pretty damn soft hands (which are pretty damn big too). The other side of that is that I've always loved playing on the defensive line, and my frame lends itself to DE.

Well you got size and that can't be taught so give it a shot. Like others said contact the recruiting coordinator and they will walk you through the process. Good luck!

DePereBisonFan
09-06-2013, 01:58 PM
At the end of the day, some people try and some people don't. Which category do you want to be in?

gumby013
09-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Give them a call. Better to do it sooner than later. If you do end up making it, you'll want to be there for spring ball.

Boardwalk30
09-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Give them a call. Better to do it sooner than later. If you do end up making it, you'll want to be there for spring ball.

That probably is the best route. Even if it is only for next year, I probably should be in their ear/minds to get the wheels turning now.

56BISON73
09-06-2013, 05:36 PM
That probably is the best route. Even if it is only for next year, I probably should be in their ear/minds to get the wheels turning now.

Go talk to them. If they see the potential they can put you on a plan to be where you need to be when you walk on. Or they may take you on right away after seeing film. You lose nothing by trying but but you will have regrets if you dont.

SamsRams
09-06-2013, 07:32 PM
I assume this was meant to be a joke, but their is absolutely nothing in the comment that says anything about attending NDSU, so not sure how you even came up with that comment.

name another coach bohl besides Craig

Hammerhead
09-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Making friends with the groundskeeper is the best way to become a walk-on. Don't you guys watch movies?

http://chrislejarzar.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/rudy21.jpg?w=300&h=216

bisonmike2
09-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Tell them "Lakes sent you". They might give you a full ride on the spot, no game film needed.

KSBisonFan
09-06-2013, 07:48 PM

Gabe used to hate you....

Bisonator98
09-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Making friends with the groundskeeper is the best way to become a walk-on. Don't you guys watch movies?

http://chrislejarzar.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/rudy21.jpg?w=300&h=216

It's definately the best way to get a key to the maintenance room! :biggrin:

bisonhp330
09-06-2013, 09:16 PM

wait a minute.......isn't this how Lakes' wet dream story to Penthouse Forum started out- if it is, lets not continue with that 'bit more info'.

17>1
09-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Uh, something doesn't seem right with this thread. Does a HS kid really need to ask a bunch of fans if the team has a walk-on program? Where's this kids coach and why isn't he helping? Haha, whatever I guess. Is it Saturday yet?

Hammersmith
09-07-2013, 02:50 AM
Uh, something doesn't seem right with this thread. Does a HS kid really need to ask a bunch of fans if the team has a walk-on program? Where's this kids coach and why isn't he helping? Haha, whatever I guess. Is it Saturday yet?
Read his posts again. He's currently a college sophomore(presumably at NDSU).

17>1
09-07-2013, 03:23 AM
Read his posts again. He's currently a college sophomore(presumably at NDSU).

I stand corrected, my bad. Goes to NDSU, yet uses Bisonville for details about the football program....ok.

XUBison
09-07-2013, 03:51 AM
Okay, out of place, I know. My dad and I were reminiscing about Bison football, and we were trying to remember the name of Ed's long-time color sidekick. Can't believe we can't recall it. Sorry to interupt, but this seemed as good of a place as any without unnecessarily starting a new thread... Bald, bearded guy.

Tatanka
09-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Okay, out of place, I know. My dad and I were reminiscing about Bison football, and we were trying to remember the name of Ed's long-time color sidekick. Can't believe we can't recall it. Sorry to interupt, but this seemed as good of a place as any without unnecessarily starting a new thread... Bald, bearded guy.

I would be more interested in the name of Ed's long-time canine sidekick. Wait, are we asking for the same thing?

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

BlueBisonRock
09-08-2013, 04:02 PM
I would be more interested in the name of Ed's long-time canine sidekick. Wait, are we asking for the same thing?

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

BOOM!

Oh... excuse me. I should be a bit more sensitive than that.

MAKBison
09-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Boom----you think his dog flinches whenever anyone says boom?

BOOM!

Oh... excuse me. I should be a bit more sensitive than that.

Rockbear99
09-08-2013, 06:32 PM
hey try to find Lakes he knows all about walking on. Just ask the baseball team.

T-Funk
09-08-2013, 10:31 PM

The name Dale Van Deloo comes to mind. Is that the name you're thinking of?

Tony Almeida
09-09-2013, 02:07 PM

Basketball team is in desperate need of some size...no?