PDA

View Full Version : I'm not ready to be done talking about the Kstate game...

heffray
09-03-2013, 11:37 AM
I doubt many of you will disagree with me on this, but I think we were not only better prepared for that game than our opponent, but are just flat out better than them. I don't think the score was really indicative of HOW MUCH better. There were 3 glaring errors that we made that could have change the trajectory of the game and the score dramatically. I get how the butterfly effect works, and I'm not usually a "What if" guy, but hear me out on this one:

-Ryan Smith TD, 7-0
-Heagle doesn't get burned and they have to settle for a field goal (first error), 7-3
-We don't drop that pass in the endzone near the end of the first half (second error), 14-3
-Marcus doesn't bite on the double move and they settle for 3 again (third error), 14-6
-Sams scores on his great run play, 14-13
-Vraa TD, 21-13
-Keller hits, 24-13
-Jensen TD, 31-13

So, 3 big errors were basically a 21 point swing. I thought we looked and ARE much better than them.

I'm pretty excited to see what else this team can do...

Mr. Burgundy
09-03-2013, 11:57 AM
The perfect TD pass that was dropped was massive and nobody is talking about it. We would have been up 14-7. Then missed the fg and momentum swung. We were dominating. Huge turning point. Glad that isn't a play we are saying "what if" about.

Tony Almeida
09-03-2013, 12:33 PM
I doubt many of you will disagree with me on this, but I think we were not only better prepared for that game than our opponent, but are just flat out better than them. I don't think the score was really indicative of HOW MUCH better. There were 3 glaring errors that we made that could have change the trajectory of the game and the score dramatically. I get how the butterfly effect works, and I'm not usually a "What if" guy, but hear me out on this one:

-Ryan Smith TD, 7-0
-Heagle doesn't get burned and they have to settle for a field goal (first error), 7-3
-We don't drop that pass in the endzone near the end of the first half (second error), 14-3
-Marcus doesn't bite on the double move and they settle for 3 again (third error), 14-6
-Sams scores on his great run play, 14-13
-Vraa TD, 21-13
-Keller hits, 24-13
-Jensen TD, 31-13

So, 3 big errors were basically a 21 point swing. I thought we looked and ARE much better than them.

I'm pretty excited to see what else this team can do...

I agree we were the better team....but...they made some mistakes as well. I think the biggest mistake was their play calling. They have two WR's with talent we won't see again this year. Why didn't they throw deep more often? BCS teams thrive on those big plays and I was shocked that they only threw deep a couple of times....I think we would've been in trouble had they kept throwing the ball instead of trying to turn Waters into Collin Klein...This may not be Snyder's style either but then he is wasting some serious talent with those receivers which goes back to play calling. You gotta go with what's working no matter what your game is and take advantage of your talent...

With that said, I wouldn't mind if we threw it deep a few times a game as well...I don't see what it would hurt. D-Gray all the way!!!

We still win of course but it's a higher scoring game.

I too am excited about this team!

344Johnson
09-03-2013, 12:37 PM
I agree we were the better team....but...they made some mistakes as well. I think the biggest mistake was their play calling. They have two WR's with talent we won't see again this year. Why didn't they throw deep more often? BCS teams thrive on those big plays and I was shocked that they only threw it a couple of times....I think we would've been in trouble had they kept throwing the ball instead of trying to turn Waters into Collin Klein...

With that said, I wouldn't mind if we threw it deep a few times a game as well...I don't see what it would hurt. D-Gray all the way!!!

This. Once it started to get clear that they were going to have trouble with the running game and they scored their two long touchdowns...I was afraid they were going to just keep throwing it deep until we stopped it. They obviously had different ideas.

Tony Almeida
09-03-2013, 12:57 PM
This. Once it started to get clear that they were going to have trouble with the running game and they scored their two long touchdowns...I was afraid they were going to just keep throwing it deep until we stopped it. They obviously had different ideas.

Oh I was shaking in my flip-flops!! I'm glad they DID have different ideas.

heffray
09-03-2013, 01:22 PM
I agree we were the better team....but...they made some mistakes as well. I think the biggest mistake was their play calling. They have two WR's with talent we won't see again this year. Why didn't they throw deep more often? BCS teams thrive on those big plays and I was shocked that they only threw deep a couple of times....I think we would've been in trouble had they kept throwing the ball instead of trying to turn Waters into Collin Klein...This may not be Snyder's style either but then he is wasting some serious talent with those receivers which goes back to play calling. You gotta go with what's working no matter what your game is and take advantage of your talent...

We still win of course but it's a higher scoring game.

I guess I was under the assumption that a great coach like Snyder would have continued to hammer this, HAD it been available to him. I wasn't able to see the whole field on the TV, but I guess I just assumed we made the adjustments and the long pass wasn't there.

Anyone who was at the game can help us here...

Professor Chaos
09-03-2013, 01:25 PM
What stood out for me looking back at the game is the evolution and maturation the Bison have shown as a team and Brock Jensen has shown individually since their last road loss on the snowy ugly turf in Cheney Washington. Consequently, the game winning play at Kansas St was basically a carbon copy of the game losing play (if you don't count the blown replay call) against Eastern Washington. It's mind boggling to comprehend how much this team, led by Jensen, has accomplished since then.

Bison03
09-03-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure if we are up 24-14 in the 4th quarter, we kill more clock and dont need that last td. I was worried when we didn't score after the MWill pick and thought it may come back to bite us. Thank God it didn't.

BadlandsBison
09-03-2013, 02:58 PM
The perfect TD pass that was dropped was massive and nobody is talking about it. We would have been up 14-7. Then missed the fg and momentum swung. We were dominating. Huge turning point. Glad that isn't a play we are saying "what if" about.

I can't forget that missed TD. We may have taken control at that point.

Something else I would like to talk about is the trip back to Fargo. We stayed in KC and went to an Irish festival. With our NDSU shirts, we were stars! Everyone talked to us and congratulated us. Thay was awesome. Husker fans, Mizzou fans, jayhawks, and a couple kstate guys too. Great weekend

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Mr. Burgundy
09-03-2013, 04:34 PM
I can't forget that missed TD. We may have taken control at that point.

Something else I would like to talk about is the trip back to Fargo. We stayed in KC and went to an Irish festival. With our NDSU shirts, we were stars! Everyone talked to us and congratulated us. Thay was awesome. Husker fans, Mizzou fans, jayhawks, and a couple kstate guys too. Great weekend

That dropped TD pass reminded me of the Wyoming loss....we were dominating, couple of drops and suddenly we lose. I was gripping after that non catch. Just terrible. I still cannot believe how good Brock was....and how impressive our line play was. We were in better condition that them late. Also, Vigen said that Sam made some great improvements in the off season. He was terrific. Great to see our offense play like that. Our defense was just flat out awesome. They couldn't run on us. We ran it down their throats. That is impressive. That is how you win football games. Lets just catch the ball while in the endzones please!!!!

SDbison
09-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Awesome thread........have to keep talking up this game until saturday morning. But then, how prepared will we be for the Ferris State game? ha ha!

BadlandsBison
09-03-2013, 05:30 PM
That dropped TD pass reminded me of the Wyoming loss....we were dominating, couple of drops and suddenly we lose. I was gripping after that non catch. Just terrible. I still cannot believe how good Brock was....and how impressive our line play was. We were in better condition that them late. Also, Vigen said that Sam made some great improvements in the off season. He was terrific. Great to see our offense play like that. Our defense was just flat out awesome. They couldn't run on us. We ran it down their throats. That is impressive. That is how you win football games. Lets just catch the ball while in the endzones please!!!!

I thought Bohl said sam added some "good weight." Still looks pretty fast too! Crockett never had much space to work with, I hope he has a big game Saturday and starts rolling.

BisonNeil
09-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Awesome thread........have to keep talking up this game until saturday morning. But then, how prepared will we be for the Ferris State game? ha ha!

You're laughing, but not sure we should be.

There is bound to be a letdown for this game. How bad it will be is yet to be seen.

Reasons for a letdown:

1 The team put it all on the line Friday night and left nothing on the field. Remember the comments from the Bison players before and after the GSU game? The Wofford game took a lot out of the players. My guess is the KSU game took out more. The big difference between the two, the Bison knew they were going to meet a terrific team in Geo Southern, against Ferris State, not so much.

2. Everyone is still being asked and is talking about last weeks game. It has to be tough to concentrate and focus on a preparations for a team like Ferris State.

3. There is no doubt in my mind that KSU players did not respect the Bison. There was plenty of evidence throught the first quarter and a half that the Wildcats were going through the motions. I think there is a good chance that may happen against a DII team.

Now, before you all take this as negative, that is not what is meant here. I just think it is nearly impossible for the Bison to not be flat for this game, although I am confident they will win handily. But, I am personally hoping that the Bison second and third string play all or most of the second half. I just hope that comes true, but I have some concerns.

CAS4127
09-03-2013, 06:17 PM

There is bound to be a letdown for this game. How bad it will be is yet to be seen.

Reasons for a letdown:

1 The team put it all on the line Friday night and left nothing on the field. Remember the comments from the Bison players before and after the GSU game? The Wofford game took a lot out of the players. My guess is the KSU game took out more. The big difference between the two, the Bison knew they were going to meet a terrific team in Geo Southern, against Ferris State, not so much.

2. Everyone is still being asked and is talking about last weeks game. It has to be tough to concentrate and focus on a preparations for a team like Ferris State.

3. There is no doubt in my mind that KSU players did not respect the Bison. There was plenty of evidence throught the first quarter and a half that the Wildcats were going through the motions. I think there is a good chance that may happen against a DII team.

Now, before you all take this as negative, that is not what is meant here. I just think it is nearly impossible for the Bison to not be flat for this game, although I am confident they will win handily. But, I am personally hoping that the Bison second and third string play all or most of the second half. I just hope that comes true, but I have some concerns.

Yes, there are plenty of reasons for a possible letdown, but there are also plenty of reasons we won't have that.

1. Too many seniors that know you are only as good as your next game;

2. This team wants to go undefeated AND maintain it's national respect;

3. We played Friday night, so that gives us one more day than usual to recover (the game had to take a lot out of them physically--good thing we have a bye week coming up after this).

4. It is our home opener, and this team wants to "show" for its fans, and becomes energized by the atmosphere.

We will be up 21 or more by halftime--mark it down.

Bison bison
09-03-2013, 06:19 PM
We'll be up by 21 before I sit down.

SDbison
09-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Yes, there are plenty of reasons for a possible letdown, but there are also plenty of reasons we won't have that.

3. We played Friday night, so that gives us one more day than usual to recover (the game had to take a lot out of them physically--good thing we have a bye week coming up after this).

4. It is our home opener, and this team wants to "show" for its fans, and becomes energized by the atmosphere.

We will be up 21 or more by halftime--mark it down. All good points CAS!

Bison"FANatic"
09-03-2013, 07:20 PM
I was concerned about Zack Johnson at left guard after the first series as he was playing more in our backfield than he should have been. He was blown up a few times. It was nice to see him settle in and start to improve. K state is a tough first start and it showed but between him and the others on the left side he started to get it together still some communication things to get worked out but improvement from the beginning to the end of the game in that area was huge.

bisonrock
09-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Sure he was nervous. Big game for him. He improved and made some great plays. He will continue to get better and more confident.

AjaxTheMighty
09-03-2013, 09:29 PM

We will be up 21 or more by halftime--mark it down.

You forgot number 5.) we have one of the nations best coaching staff. Our boys WILL be ready! CB will make sure of that!

BisonNation11
09-03-2013, 09:34 PM
And the fact that the back ups will be chomping at the bit to get in the game. I'm really hoping they get a ton of playing time, especially the LB's.

bisonaudit
09-04-2013, 01:17 AM
The big error they made that I haven't heard much about was the bad shot gun snap that put them back inside the 5 right after they'd snapped off a big play to give themselves some breathing room. Then a few plays later MWill gets his pick.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-04-2013, 04:19 AM

Reasons for a letdown:

The difference from being tired after the Wofford game going into GSU game is that was towards the end of year, this was the first game after conditioning for months, they'll be able to regain quickly imo.

Trim
09-04-2013, 04:32 AM
Sorry if this has been brought up in the numerous other threads....

Why was Bill Snyder wearing a jacket? Was he somehow chilly?

bisonfanette
09-04-2013, 04:44 AM
Bill Snyder wears the same purple windbreaker to every game... whether it's 50 degrees or 100.
It's just his signature windbreaker.
And perhaps this has been mentioned (I haven't read back) but Bill goes onto the field, if one of his players has been injured (if it's taking more than a few seconds/minute for the player to recover) and he does the same if the opposing teams' player is hurt. (Like I said, this may have been mentioned.)

BadlandsBison
09-04-2013, 05:00 AM
The big error they made that I haven't heard much about was the bad shot gun snap that put them back inside the 5 right after they'd snapped off a big play to give themselves some breathing room. Then a few plays later MWill gets his pick.

Agreed. We missed a td and fieldgoal and the bad snap was our break.

heffray
09-04-2013, 05:05 AM
Agreed. We missed a td and fieldgoal and the bad snap was our break.

This is a good point. However, I would argue that Marcus was due to make a pic at some point in this game, whether there or some other place. The fact that he was burned on that double move was indicative that he was looking for it all game...

bisonfanette
09-04-2013, 05:07 AM
Trivia. Regarding the Bison fans ~ Before the game, a group of 5 NDSU players came over to section 15, to greet a young boy (with special needs) They were all so excited to see each other, & I just happened to be the only one there with the camera. Today I sent the photos to the Athletic Dept, to see if they could identify the boy, & tell me where to email the photos. Turns out, his name is Sam from Valley City, and the Bison players have taken him into their HERD!
This young boy isn't able to speak... but he attends games as possible, & even went to Frisco last yr. The Athl. Dept said that they would forward the photos to the Bison players :) Will try to post these photos onto the PHOTO thread.

ndsubison1
09-04-2013, 06:31 AM

Reasons for a letdown:

every game is going to be a down game according to you. youre too cautious. ferris state is a good D2 team. we are the top fcs team. there will not be a let down this weekend. if ksu really overlooked us wouldnt that be a lesson for our coaches to teach our players and what our players learned from last weekend? we'll be fine. just annoying that according to you we are always due for a let down. enough, bison win easy. and no im not buying that this is comparable to ksu. we are better than ksu. what score would you consider a let down? 21-0? 28-7? 35-10? Bison win comfortably. Something along the lines of 52-0

tony
09-04-2013, 01:14 PM

When the Bison were down 14 and driving, I had a brief thought about what it would be like to lose a close one. Yuck.

Would never have admitted it before the game, but I was really hoping for a shutout.

MNLonghorn10
09-04-2013, 01:26 PM
every game is going to be a down game according to you. youre too cautious. ferris state is a good D2 team. we are the top fcs team. there will not be a let down this weekend. if ksu really overlooked us wouldnt that be a lesson for our coaches to teach our players and what our players learned from last weekend? we'll be fine. just annoying that according to you we are always due for a let down. enough, bison win easy. and no im not buying that this is comparable to ksu. we are better than ksu. what score would you consider a let down? 21-0? 28-7? 35-10? Bison win comfortably. Something along the lines of 52-0

You're high...bison aren't winning this game

BadlandsBison
09-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Trivia. Regarding the Bison fans ~ Before the game, a group of 5 NDSU players came over to section 15, to greet a young boy (with special needs) They were all so excited to see each other, & I just happened to be the only one there with the camera. Today I sent the photos to the Athletic Dept, to see if they could identify the boy, & tell me where to email the photos. Turns out, his name is Sam from Valley City, and the Bison players have taken him into their HERD!
This young boy isn't able to speak... but he attends games as possible, & even went to Frisco last yr. The Athl. Dept said that they would forward the photos to the Bison players :) Will try to post these photos onto the PHOTO thread.

Thanks for sharing. Taking time to do that before one of the biggest games of their lives, well that really makes a positive statement.

StL Bison Fan
09-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Here is an article about Sam : http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/64516/

JSUBison
09-04-2013, 02:48 PM
If you haven't done so, rewatching the game muted with the radio feed from gobison is well worth it. It syncs up nice if you recorded the original broadcast. I thought FOX did a good job announcing it, but you got to listen to Scotty, Phil and Jeremy.

Bison"FANatic"
09-04-2013, 04:30 PM
I see a few Kstaters were waiting for the Bison!!!

https://twitter.com/mandymarchh/status/373646535507992576/photo/1

TransAmBison
09-04-2013, 08:28 PM
http://www.damnlol.com/pics/703/f3476848a7993d9f3d43cd9450fc3342.gif

Saw this and thought it was fitting for K State.

BisonFan02
09-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Chris Dorsey ‏@chrisdorsey 31 Aug
@TheWildcatMask any chance we can get you on the Bison Video blog this week via Skype on http://Inforumtv.com ?

TheWildcatMask ‏@TheWildcatMask 31 Aug
@chrisdorsey sure how do i do that

Chris Dorsey ‏@chrisdorsey 31 Aug
@TheWildcatMask can I PM you?

TheWildcatMask ‏@TheWildcatMask 31 Aug
@chrisdorsey yeah go for it

Yeah...I guess watch for that. Oy vey.

devin45k
09-05-2013, 03:18 AM
Does anyone know the ratings for the game?

JSUBison
09-05-2013, 03:51 AM
Does anyone know the ratings for the game?

I tried looking for them last night, the closest I got was the FS1 ratings for their saturday games, WVU/W&M, Boise/Washington, and Oregon/Nichols. Those 3 games were less than a 1.0. I think the highest CFB game this week that I could find was the Georgia/Clemson game at 5.0. The ratings are out there, but finding them is a major pain, and I gave up after about 30-45 minutes. Coulson or Burton over at AGS will probably post them once they find them.

EightyfourBison
09-05-2013, 01:30 PM

You will find Sam along the railing behind our sideline during the pregame of every home game he is able to attend. He faithfully watches the players warm up. I've heard that Coach Bohl makes a point to thank him for coming to the games.

MrBaumann
09-05-2013, 02:57 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--HqUWWUz_78/UiiYQ-QG-4I/AAAAAAAACAM/wYDJHaVlwxg/w800-h589-no/DSC06648.jpghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rIbUpfGqFgw/UiiarKyEo6I/AAAAAAAACCY/z1nSScAYHZA/w599-h479-no/1-DSC06647.jpg

bisonfanette
09-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Just read K-State's Athletic Director, John Currie's 8 paragraph newsletter, which highlights the dedication of the west side of the Bill Snyder Family Stadium... & he mentions the record attendance/high temperatures/season opener etc... but not a word about NDSU (& how that contributed to their record attendance!)

SamsRams
09-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Just read K-State's Athletic Director, John Currie's 8 paragraph newsletter, which highlights the dedication of the west side of the Bill Snyder Family Stadium... & he mentions the record attendance/high temperatures/season opener etc... but not a word about NDSU (& how that contributed to their record attendance!)

ask any KSTATE fan, NDSU had nothing to do with it. would have had same numbers vs Lamar.

oh the hypocrisy