PDA

View Full Version : Is this the end of the road for Coach Bohl at NDSU?

THEsocalledfan
09-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Could not sleep once this thought hit me; will the run at NDSU finally be over after this year?

Let's be honest, the only record he has left to claim at NDSU will fall this year when he becomes the all time win leading coach. He also has an excellent shot at a third national title. He is at the point that NDSU is going to start naming things after him... There are no more realistic lofty goals, other than seeing how long you can sustain a dynasty.

We also know he has a tremendous loyalty to Gene Taylor. I really think that is a big part of the reason he has refused to leave for second rung FBS jobs.

But, will this be it? That game on Friday rattled those BCS conference cages and gained the national spotlight. He, along with Brock Jensen, were the talk of the town. Are we naive to think a BCS conference AD/President did not take notice?

So, what say you, is this the year Coach Bohl gets a BCS offer? If so, will he take it? (I am specifically asking about BCS offers, not crap second tier FBS offers.) My goodness, what about when Coach Snyder retires again? I'd think that would be a dream job for him.

IndyBison
09-03-2013, 04:18 AM
I'm sure the number of calls will go up. I have no idea if he would seriously consider them. Some people are very happy where they are. He's worked at that level and may or may not want it.

After Brad Stevens turned down several college offers he finally took one with the NBA. Bohl wouldn't jump to an NFL head coaching job but I wonder if he would consider a key assistant position. As far as I'm concerned he can do whatever he wants.

Herd12
09-03-2013, 04:22 AM
I really think that it could be, and it's hard to think of this program as a "stepping stone" to bigger and better things, but that's a possibility when you've done what Bohl's done. Now, if there were promises of a bigger stadium and him possibly leading a charge into FBS you might see him stay. If he gets offered an AQ job I have a hard time seeing him stay as they will offer between 3-5x his salary.

BisonEngrGirl
09-03-2013, 04:24 AM
Considering he makes 1/10 of what some decent FBS coaches make....... Now I have anxiety!!!

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

GOBISON123
09-03-2013, 04:26 AM
Could not sleep once this thought hit me; will the run at NDSU finally be over after this year?

Let's be honest, the only record he has left to claim at NDSU will fall this year when he becomes the all time win leading coach. He also has an excellent shot at a third national title. He is at the point that NDSU is going to start naming things after him... There are no more realistic lofty goals, other than seeing how long you can sustain a dynasty.

We also know he has a tremendous loyalty to Gene Taylor. I really think that is a big part of the reason he has refused to leave for second rung FBS jobs.

But, will this be it? That game on Friday rattled those BCS conference cages and gained the national spotlight. He, along with Brock Jensen, were the talk of the town. Are we naive to think a BCS conference AD/President did not take notice?

So, what say you, is this the year Coach Bohl gets a BCS offer? If so, will he take it? (I am specifically asking about BCS offers, not crap second tier FBS offers.) My goodness, what about when Coach Snyder retires again? I'd think that would be a dream job for him.

There are some intangibles that Coach Bohl cannot get if he moves to other schools. Besides money

a) His wife is working here
b) His son goes to college here
c) Part2 or Part3 of Bison Football is all his brain child
d) Fans absolutely love him

He cannot get all these if he moves to a bigger school. Heck they even want him to replace Synder in K-State they dont mind he comes from a Huskie background but I dont think Coach Bohl will throw away all these just for money and some exposure on ESPN. And there is a huge risk of failure. I would take $200/300k per year for next 10 years over $2 millions for may be 2 or 3 years.

MNLonghorn10
09-03-2013, 04:36 AM
Yea IDK. He's obviously the king of the city, literally all of his family members are here, he's got it made comfortably financially and would be a contributor of possibly moving up if ever the time comes.

He's 55 too. Id be more nervous if he was 45 or 50. We'd have to be talking about a once in a lifetime job at Nebraska or another power for him to leave Fargo IMO. Even if it was Iowa St, Illinois, NC State or whatever.. I don't think he'll be persuaded that easily. Id doubt hed want to put time into an FBS stepping stone school and probably losing his shot at coaching a power if he doesn't turn that team around.

He's secured for life at NDSU.

Wally
09-03-2013, 04:51 AM
I was asked about this today as well. IMO it's a Big 10 or Big 12 job or nothing. Hope he's around for a long while. Maybe he will be like Jerry Moore at App St and stick around for 20+years. Another 10-12 years would be pretty cool.

56BISON73
09-03-2013, 05:12 AM

Ah I think I will wait until the end of the season to see how everything plays out. Regardless I wont worry about it.

Bison03
09-03-2013, 05:25 AM
Why do we have this topic come up very time we win a big game. When are people going to realize that Bohl isn't going anywhere. You don't sign an 8 year contract when you want to leave. He has had a taste of big time college football in his Nebraska days. Some coaches aspire to get there, he has been there. I think he likes the FCS and wants to build NDSU football at a constant powerhouse.

reformedUNDfan
09-03-2013, 05:30 AM
the question is which jobs would even open up for bohl to take? in the big10 basically everything except Illinois is safe, though that could change in nebraska. Would Illinois be enticing enough to get Bohl, or be willing to pay enough to make it happen?

the big12 doesn't offer much either. Snyder isn't getting canned, the oklahoma schools are solid, as are the texas schools. So ISU. Maybe Kansas? An SEC team sure as shit isn't going to hire an FCS coach.

natstar1
09-03-2013, 06:03 AM
He cannot get all these if he moves to a bigger school. Heck they even want him to replace Synder in K-State they dont mind he comes from a Huskie background but I dont think Coach Bohl will throw away all these just for money and some exposure on ESPN. And there is a huge risk of failure. I would take $200/300k per year for next 10 years over $2 millions for may be 2 or 3 years.
I won't speculate if Bohl might leave, but I'd imagine he'd get a deal worth $10 million guaranteed.

LikeMothers
09-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Coach Bohl, someday, will no longer be with the team. Hopefully, it will be because of a well-earned retirement. This is also true for the assistants, AD, individual players, and even fans and boosters. The team needs to remain diligent about the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. The strength of the herd is the bison and the strength of the bison is the herd. Foster an organization where people want to stay. Camaraderie and being a part of a well-oiled machine go a very long way against simple money. A great organization will attract ever-better people to join it and continue the tradition when veterans inevitably leave. Hire people that, when they're gone, hope that they've left the team in a position to break all of their records.

ndsubison1
09-03-2013, 10:38 AM
i feel like he likes where he's at right now. it would have to be a perfect opportunity and something he absolutely cannot turn down. (and no hes not going back to Nebraska ever)

ndsubison1
09-03-2013, 10:41 AM
the question is which jobs would even open up for bohl to take? in the big10 basically everything except Illinois is safe, though that could change in nebraska. Would Illinois be enticing enough to get Bohl, or be willing to pay enough to make it happen?

the big12 doesn't offer much either. Snyder isn't getting canned, the oklahoma schools are solid, as are the texas schools. So ISU. Maybe Kansas? An SEC team sure as shit isn't going to hire an FCS coach.

iowa maybe

WYOBISONMAN
09-03-2013, 11:24 AM
6 figures to 7 figures in compensation? Gone if the right school comes calling. That's life in the non-BCS world.

tjbison
09-03-2013, 12:51 PM
6 figures to 7 figures in compensation? Gone if the right school comes calling. That's life in the non-BCS world.

Ill bet Klimen or Vigen are gone before Bohl

just saying

td577
09-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Why do we have this topic come up very time we win a big game. When are people going to realize that Bohl isn't going anywhere. You don't sign an 8 year contract when you want to leave. He has had a taste of big time college football in his Nebraska days. Some coaches aspire to get there, he has been there. I think he likes the FCS and wants to build NDSU football at a constant powerhouse.

I so think most of what you are saying is true, but in that contract extension are clauses if a BCS school comes a calling. Very well thought out scenarios where Coach Bohl can buy out at a very reasonable cost for specific job opportunities. Him and GT obviously didn't want any situation where he couldn't entertain offers and I do think there might be a couple of positions out there that would be on his list of serious possibilities.

That being said, the way the contract is set up, it would have to be a dream job type scenario. I also think his priority is to fulfill his contract and be set within the Bison family for the rest of his life. It must be mentioned he does have an out if the right job opens up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

NDSU1980
09-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Look at what happened to the good coaches that moved on from here. Wacker had success in Texas, then flopped at Minnesota (who wouldn't flop there). Morton was one of the most hated guys in Wisconsin, even though he won an NC here and finished runner up once. Earl Solomson went to Montana, ran the program into the ground and hasn't been heard from since. Rocky never equaled his success here anywhere else.

Just because you're good here doesn't always mean you will dominate somewhere else.

I think Bohl will stick around and maybe Gene can keep finding some more money to improve the contract.

344Johnson
09-03-2013, 01:36 PM
iowa maybe

lol Iowa. But srsly, they way overpay Ferentz

Professor Chaos
09-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Two thoughts:

1) I think Craig Bohl is very happy in Fargo and wouldn't mind retiring (hopefully more than a few years from now) as the head football coach at NDSU.
2) He's earned the right to do whatever he feels is best for him and his family and if that is moving on to a job at a bigger school I'd wish him nothing but the best and would genuinely thank him for all he's done at NDSU.

HerdBot
09-03-2013, 01:39 PM
The odds went up but honestly even if it happens I am not worries as long as we keep tbe same offense, defense, and systems in place. As long as we don't change we will reload just like we used to. Morton, Solomon, Hager. Promote from within and keep the PROGRAM together!

My only fear is we get a new system and fuck up everything

aces1180
09-03-2013, 01:40 PM
The odds went up but honestly even if it happens I am not worries as long as we keep tbe same offense, defense, and systems in place. As long as we don't change we will reload just like we used to. Morton, Solomon, Hager

My only fear is we get a new system and fuck up everything

In my opinion, Vigen will be our next head coach, so I don't think anything changes.

devin45k
09-03-2013, 01:45 PM
We need to give this man a pay raise.

bisonhp330
09-03-2013, 01:56 PM
no. ten char

MarkyMark
09-03-2013, 02:09 PM
These were my predictions in the Prediction Thread last Friday.

My Prediction:
1. Bison by 10
2. KSU goes on to have a great year and Bison start to receive top 25 votes in AP Poll.
3. FBS teams start looking at Bohl more seriously for their next head coach
4. Bohl elects to stay at NDSU citing the usual reasons, great fans, great town, son plays at MSU, FCS is better than FBS because of playoffs and Hot Wife.

Book It
I came close on the margin of victory and I feel the rest of my predictions will play themselves out.

tony
09-03-2013, 02:16 PM
If he wants a BCS job, I hope he gets it. All us Bison fans have demanded from our past coaches is two national championships. :)

I don't see him going to a non-BCS school.

All I know is that every year Coach Bohl has been here, I've heard how he is going to leave and yet he's still here, but if he doesn't go this year, I think that this annual question can be put to rest. He has nothing left to prove at NDSU and the senior class is massive so that next year will be the start of a rebuild so this would be the perfect time to move on.

Bison"FANatic"
09-03-2013, 03:33 PM
All I know is that every year Coach Bohl has been here, I've heard how he is going to leave and yet he's still here, but if he doesn't go this year, I think that this annual question can be put to rest. He has nothing left to prove at NDSU and the senior class is massive so that next year will be the start of a rebuild so this would be the perfect time to move on.

Yep if it is going to happen it will happen this year. It may not happen and it may happen only time will tell. It all depends on what coach wants to deal with and what he envisions happening in his life in the next 10 years. He may find himself in a position that money is not the motivator anymore and maybe not. He will hit the 40% tax bracket with anything above what he makes now, so you have to sit down and figure out the dollars and cents and the time comittment and risk and happiness portions. Does he stay and work the system that he has put in place or does he go and totally set up the system anew.

SDbison
09-03-2013, 04:20 PM
These were my predictions in the Prediction Thread last Friday.

My Prediction:
1. Bison by 10
2. KSU goes on to have a great year and Bison start to receive top 25 votes in AP Poll.
3. FBS teams start looking at Bohl more seriously for their next head coach
4. Bohl elects to stay at NDSU citing the usual reasons, great fans, great town, son plays at MSU, FCS is better than FBS because of playoffs and Hot Wife.

Book It
I came close on the margin of victory and I feel the rest of my predictions will play themselves out.

So who had the closest score prediction for this game?

td577
09-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Yep if it is going to happen it will happen this year. It may not happen and it may happen only time will tell. It all depends on what coach wants to deal with and what he envisions happening in his life in the next 10 years. He may find himself in a position that money is not the motivator anymore and maybe not. He will hit the 40% tax bracket with anything above what he makes now, so you have to sit down and figure out the dollars and cents and the time comittment and risk and happiness portions. Does he stay and work the system that he has put in place or does he go and totally set up the system anew.

Will another program give him the time and latitude to build his own system. It took 7 years to build a team that was competitive in the toughest conference at this level. I get the whole transition thing and those were good teams, but we don't know how they would have stood up to a MVFC schedule either. 10 full seasons, 2 NCs, 3 conference championships, and three playoff berths. That is phenomenal and in the big picture, a lot in a very short time. People at the BCS level want those results faster. The reality is that only a handful of programs really see a national championship as a realistic goal year in and year out. Only a handful more see a conference championship as a realistic goal year in and out. The very top of the BCS level is very similar to the very top of the FCS level. There are still really only a few programs who are truly always competitive.

Could a guy like Bohl build a program like that? Sure, he has done it here. His teams would fall in the top half of the Big 12 or B1G without changing one bit of recruiting strategy except the extra 20 scholarships. But the real question is would he want to make that next leap into the recruiting stratosphere? Right now he is recruiting against the 25th ranked FBS team in the country to the 15th ranked FCS program. He is not spending a single second on a kid who is being targeted by a top tier SEC program. That is a whole new ballgame.

I think there a whole lot of reasons why he would stay here. I also think he built those clauses in his contract specifically with a job or two in mind that he would be willing to take that step with. Either way, it has been a concerted team effort from the AD on down to build an awesome program. That program will continue with Coach Bohl or not. In that I have confidence.

BlueBisonRock
09-03-2013, 04:52 PM

Gentleman in the game day thread hit it on the nose. Another picked the delta.

JSUBison
09-03-2013, 04:54 PM

Lakes did. I'm pretty sure I saw on the Kansas board he predicted 24-21 NDSU.

MNLonghorn10
09-03-2013, 04:54 PM

I did. Again

bisonaudit
09-03-2013, 05:19 PM

Well thank God for the taxes. That Saban guy is an idiot. He'd be a lot better off coaching Wofford.

BisonNeil
09-03-2013, 05:34 PM
I was asked about this today as well. IMO it's a Big 10 or Big 12 job or nothing. Hope he's around for a long while. Maybe he will be like Jerry Moore at App St and stick around for 20+years. Another 10-12 years would be pretty cool.

The difference is that Moore ended up at Appy State after a failed five year stint at Texas State. He was out of coaching for a while after that miserable failure. Moore was never going to get another big time gig anyway. That is true for Bohl.

BisonNeil
09-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Ill bet Klimen or Vigen are gone before Bohl

just saying

Klimen probably, but I doubt there are many big-time college gigs where a HC is looking for a OC to run a conventional, even old, west coast offensive scheme. Not in the day and age of the spread.

NDSU1980
09-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Well thank God for the taxes. That Saban guy is an idiot. He'd be a lot better off coaching Wofford.Not only would Bohl pay a lot more in Federal taxes if he moves up, but he'd almost certainly be in a state with much higher state taxes then ND has. In the end, he may not gain much dollar wise and probably won't have the fan and administrative support he enjoys here. I also doubt many BCS schools are going to tolerate a clusterfuck like he had back in 08 and 09.

TransAmBison
09-03-2013, 05:39 PM
no. Ten chartldr........

BisonNeil
09-03-2013, 05:45 PM
In summary, I believe the only HC job Bohl would leave NDSU for would be the Big Red in Nebraska.

I have lots of friends in NE who are Cornhusker fans and they all say the same thing, knowledgeable NE football fans know that Bohl was the scapegoat for Solich's crumbling regime. They all still follow Bohl, and most of them believe he will be the next HC after Pelini is fired, which could come as early as this year.

Did you see how horrible the NE defense was against Wyoming? They gave up 34 points at home to WY, and did this after giving up 115 points during the final two games last year and lost most of their defense. You heard it hear first, the Bunnies will beat the Huskers on September 21.

Bison"FANatic"
09-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Well thank God for the taxes. That Saban guy is an idiot. He'd be a lot better off coaching Wofford.

So your saying that he wouldn't look at his actual take home pay when making a decision on what he or anyone for that matter wants to do when a job is offered??????? Big numbers sound great but when you take out 40% + it does actually make a difference.

bisonaudit
09-03-2013, 06:10 PM
So your saying that he wouldn't look at his actual take home pay when making a decision on what he or anyone for that matter wants to do when a job is offered??????? Big numbers sound great but when you take out 40% + it does actually make a difference.

He made $367,843 last year. The median salary of the head football coach in the FBS is about $1.4 million. If he moved on for that run of the mill wage he'd make 3.5 times what he is now, after federal taxes.

If the pre-tax compensation were close the state you work in could make a difference but I think we're all agree he would only move for a premium job which implies a substantial pay increase.

In any case the federal taxes aren't going to make a difference. They're the same in both places and they work on the margin. If he's already paying 33% on a dollar he's making now the marginal impact of the 35% tax rate on his next dollar of income isn't 35% it's 2%.

Bison"FANatic"
09-03-2013, 06:11 PM
In summary, I believe the only HC job Bohl would leave NDSU for would be the Big Red in Nebraska.

I really wonder about the K state job though if it were to come open. Bohl's and Snyders styles are so comparable. He could actually step in there and the transition wouldn't be as huge to run the system he likes. Play tough mistake free football, control the ball on O and field a good bend but don't break D.

CaBisonFan
09-03-2013, 06:20 PM
If Bohl leaves soon, I predict that Brent Vigen will be the next head coach at North Dakota State.

Bohl won't leave unless he gets a shot at a program that has a winning tradition.

But...I believe that the ten-year contract he signed meant that an fbs transition was a goal.

Bison"FANatic"
09-03-2013, 07:06 PM
He made $367,843 last year. The median salary of the head football coach in the FBS is about $1.4 million. If he moved on for that run of the mill wage he'd make 3.5 times what he is now, after federal taxes.

If the pre-tax compensation were close the state you work in could make a difference but I think we're all agree he would only move for a premium job which implies a substantial pay increase.

In any case the federal taxes aren't going to make a difference. They're the same in both places and they work on the margin. If he's already paying 33% on a dollar he's making now the marginal impact of the 35% tax rate on his next dollar of income isn't 35% it's 2%.

I thought with all the bonus and tv appearance money and all the add ons he was close to $500,000 here.

Your talking apples and oranges. I am talking the extra he would make by moving up for a job in the 1.5 million range of total compensation. Basically a million more than here but he is not going to get that full amount as he would be taking out at least 39.6% to the government. Not trying to start a discussion on tax rates here just pointing out the actual bottom dollar he would get by moving up. All I am saying nothing more nothing less is when weighing in on if you take the job or not you are not looking at the million you are looking at is the move to him worth $600,000.

In the grand scheme of things the money is only one part of that decision as has been pointed out in other posts there are so many other intangibles in if a person would desire to coach at the BCS level to family reasons to many other things.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-03-2013, 07:08 PM

I have lots of friends in NE who are Cornhusker fans and they all say the same thing, knowledgeable NE football fans know that Bohl was the scapegoat for Solich's crumbling regime. They all still follow Bohl, and most of them believe he will be the next HC after Pelini is fired, which could come as early as this year.

Did you see how horrible the NE defense was against Wyoming? They gave up 34 points at home to WY, and did this after giving up 115 points during the final two games last year and lost most of their defense. You heard it hear first, the Bunnies will beat the Huskers on September 21.

You had me until the Bunny part. :biggrin:

I think you are right about Neb, but I think he would take another BCS job if it was the right situation. One in which he would have a chance of success, not a run down bottom feeder program. His coaching philosophy really only matches up in the Big 10 or Big 12, so it would have to be in one of these conferences. He would be a fool to turn down a $2 million/year paycheck.

Ad far as the Bunnies beating Neb. Not a chance. Nubby will make the necessary adjustments before that game. Futhermore, the players, fans, and coaching staff don't believe they have a chance of winning that game, so they won't. The first step is you gotta believe and you have to go into the game with the goal to win. Their goal is to take home a moral victory.

roadwarrior
09-03-2013, 07:16 PM
If my salary was jumping 4 or 5 times my existing salary, my first worry would be when could I get behind the wheel of my 2014 Corvette. Taxes would be way down the list.

bisonaudit
09-03-2013, 07:21 PM
In the grand scheme of things the money is only one part of that decision as has been pointed out in other posts there are so many other intangibles in if a person would desire to coach at the BCS level to family reasons to many other things.

Agreed. The money is only a piece of it.

If we assume he's making $500,000 a year now then the argument evaporates entirely. At that level of comp he's already in the highest tax bracket (either 2012 or 2013 tax code). The take home percentage on this next dollar of income is going to be the same as on his last dollar of income. There is no marginal tax impact.

Bison"FANatic"
09-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Agreed. The money is only a piece of it.

If we assume he's making $500,000 a year now then the argument evaporates entirely. At that level of comp he's already in the highest tax bracket (either 2012 or 2013 tax code). The take home percentage on this next dollar of income is going to be the same as on his last dollar of income. There is no marginal tax impact.

Man Audit step back and look at what I said. I could care less what the tax rate is and what percentage he pays now I am not trying to argue taxes here all I am saying is that the extra at the end of the day he would make is not a million it is $600,000 (which is still a huge chunk of change and I agree with road most people would jump at it). I can't say it any more plainly.

Bison bison
09-03-2013, 07:40 PM
You fool!

You've fallen for one of the classic blunders.

The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia* followed closely by never get in an argument with an accountant when numbers are on the line!

*at least until after you win the Nobel Peace Prize

Bisonator98
09-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Two thoughts:

1) I think Craig Bohl is very happy in Fargo and wouldn't mind retiring (hopefully more than a few years from now) as the head football coach at NDSU.
2) He's earned the right to do whatever he feels is best for him and his family and if that is moving on to a job at a bigger school I'd wish him nothing but the best and would genuinely thank him for all he's done at NDSU.

I couldn't agree more. I don't think he is interested in any other college job with the exception of Nebraska. I don't ever see that happening and I think it is much more likely that he retires here.

ndsubison1
09-03-2013, 08:02 PM
lol Iowa. But srsly, they way overpay Ferentz

you can laugh but for most of the 2000s they were a solid program and could get back to that soon

bisonaudit
09-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Man Audit step back and look at what I said. I could care less what the tax rate is and what percentage he pays now I am not trying to argue taxes here all I am saying is that the extra at the end of the day he would make is not a million it is $600,000 (which is still a huge chunk of change and I agree with road most people would jump at it). I can't say it any more plainly.

I get it. But you accused me of apple and orangeing it, which I didn't do. It's not a $600,000 increase in take home over and above the $500,000 he's making to day. His take home today is only $300k and change. It's not a 2x increase. It's a 3x increase, whether you're looking at the gross or the net.

People make a big hairy deal of taxes because no one likes taxes. But irrationally over weighting them is a very bad way to make decisions. Which is why I started the last round by agreeing with you. If this decision were entirely about money Coach Bohl probably would have left already. He's still here. In addition to money not being the most important consideration my further point is that within the conversation about the money, the marginal impact of federal income taxes on this decision should probably be zero.

Bison bison
09-03-2013, 08:15 PM
I get it. But you accused me of apple and orangeing it, which I didn't do. It's not a $600,000 increase in take home over and above the $500,000 he's making to day. His take home today is only $300k and change. It's not a 2x increase. It's a 3x increase, whether you're looking at the gross or the net.

People make a big hairy deal of taxes because no one likes taxes. But irrationally over weighting them is a very bad way to make decisions. Which is why I started the last round by agreeing with you. If this decision were entirely about money Coach Bohl probably would have left already. He's still here. In addition to money not being the most important consideration my further point is that within any conversation about the money, the marginal impact of federal income taxes on such I decision should probably be zero.

I don't like accountants either.

tony
09-03-2013, 08:19 PM
If my salary was jumping 4 or 5 times my existing salary, my first worry would be when could I get behind the wheel of my 2014 Corvette. Taxes would be way down the list.

Plus, hey, you'd be hitting the FICA limit so that 6.2% of gross that isn't being taken out on any of those new dollars. :)

The more money you make, the more ways you have of avoiding taxes anyway.

CAS4127
09-03-2013, 08:21 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:!!!!++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++

bisonaudit
09-03-2013, 08:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHYkH4AHnnQ

Bison"FANatic"
09-03-2013, 09:40 PM

People make a big hairy deal of taxes because no one likes taxes. But irrationally over weighting them is a very bad way to make decisions. Which is why I started the last round by agreeing with you. If this decision were entirely about money Coach Bohl probably would have left already. He's still here. In addition to money not being the most important consideration my further point is that within any conversation about the money, the marginal impact of federal income taxes on such a decision should probably be zero.

OK this is my last post I will point out the apple and orange difference that I was talking about and then you can do what you want as I am not making a tax rate argument.

Apple: I don't care one cent what he is making today and his take home as I was not comparing totals compensation. I was comparing the amount of actual extra money he would have in his pocket by taking the job and saying that is the number that matters in the long run when making the decision.

Orange: You are trying to compare what tax bracket he is in now and what it would cost him EXTRA in taxes compared to what he pays in taxes now and are comparing the jump in his pay by factors. I could care less if it is 2, 3 or 30 times his compensation. The number is going to be different for each person that their TAKEHOME salary would have to increase before they would take the job. I don't know what his number is and wasn't trying to guess it, I am just saying that a million dollar pay increase is not a million dollars that he would see in his check book. Your trying to make it look like I said he would turn it down because it would put him in a higher tax bracket and that just isn't even close to what I said.

I said: He will hit the 40% tax bracket with anything above what he makes now, so you have to sit down and figure out the dollars and cents

When I said that I was implying that dollar and cents meant comparing the actual amount he is going to see and if it is worth it to him.

I have known people that farmed that have had large tracks of land offered to them and passed it up. When they added in the extra expenses, equipment, risk, and man power and the headaches that go with that and took out their taxes the take home pay wasn't worth it for the amount of extra time and energy that they were going to have to put in to make that amount of money. They were happy with the size of their operation and the salary they were making and the actual increase in take home pay wasn't worth it to them. Basically you have to look at the bottom line when making the decisions and not the Gross income nothing more nothing less. Good thing in Bohls case is the other expenses shouldn't change to much.

reformedUNDfan
09-03-2013, 10:08 PM
iowa maybe

that 18 million dollar buyout is not getting triggered this offseason, even if the hawkeyes go 0-12.

BisoninNWMN
09-04-2013, 01:35 AM

No they wont.

NDSU1980
09-04-2013, 03:49 AM
No they wont.The Bunnies will be too exhausted from hanging 70 on un_. That game should be hilarious. A sixth ranked team against one of the worst defenses in FCS.

runtheoption
09-04-2013, 04:10 AM
You fool!

You've fallen for one of the classic blunders.

The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia* followed closely by never get in an argument with an accountant when numbers are on the line!

Inconceivable!!!!

90 BISON
09-04-2013, 04:38 AM
The Bunnies will be too exhausted from hanging 70 on un_. That game should be hilarious. A sixth ranked team against one of the worst defenses in FCS.

Hope so. I so enjoy watching un_ getting their butthockeys kicked especially by MVFC opponents!

PlainsBison
09-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Remember the quote from Coach Bohl when he signed his contract extension. It was along the line of recruits wanting to know if he was going to be around if they committed to the team. Coach Bohl said he signed the contract as a commitment that he would be around. And yes, we know that things can happen, but for him to emphasize this following the signing of the contract says a lot. In my humble opinion.

AKBison
09-04-2013, 01:43 PM
We need to look at some sort of lump sum bonus for Bohl. For instance, if he is still the coach on jan 1, 2020 then he will receive 1.5 million dollars. Other non bcs programs have done this and it is a great way to sweeten the pot while recognizing his market value.

KSBisonFan
09-04-2013, 01:50 PM
I really wonder about the K state job though if it were to come open. Bohl's and Snyders styles are so comparable. He could actually step in there and the transition wouldn't be as huge to run the system he likes. Play tough mistake free football, control the ball on O and field a good bend but don't break D.

The KSU post-game show mentioned the possibility of Bohl moving on for a bigger job. K-State may call him for an interview but they will NOT hire him. After the Ron Prince fiasco, K-State will only hire someone with ties to KSU. Leavitt, Franklin, Dimel, etc.

Bison 4 Life
09-04-2013, 02:04 PM
There are too many intangibles. His salary is a crap ton in Fargo. Fargo is also a great place to live. He could easily fit into the Jerry Moore mold. Remember - Moore was also a IA assistant for a long time before he went to App State and ended up staying there forever.

No reason to put up with all the crap that goes along with a BCS program just for some more money.

WYOBISONMAN
09-04-2013, 02:30 PM
There are too many intangibles. His salary is a crap ton in Fargo. Fargo is also a great place to live. He could easily fit into the Jerry Moore mold. Remember - Moore was also a IA assistant for a long time before he went to App State and ended up staying there forever.

No reason to put up with all the crap that goes along with a BCS program just for some more money.

But, if he can sign a 5 year contract for several million dollars......he may well do it and retire with a lot of cash regardless of how his team were to perform. Remember, when a coach gets fires....the contract is bought out.......Big $$$.

BisonNeil
09-04-2013, 02:40 PM

As I posted before, Moore actually had two stops in big boy football as a HC after Iowa, North Texas and then Texas Tech. He flamed out at Texas Tech after five dismal seasons. He was out of football for several years and then went to Appy State. He did not go from Iowa as an assitant to Appy, as you suggest. I would suggest that he stayed at Appy because a) he had been an HC at a major college football program and was unsuccessful, and b) he was so bad there he realistically knew that he had out-kicked his coverage.

Bison 4 Life
09-04-2013, 02:46 PM
As I posted before, Moore actually had two stops in big boy football as a HC after Iowa, North Texas and then Texas Tech. He flamed out at Texas Tech after five dismal seasons. He was out of football for several years and then went to Appy State. He did not go from Iowa as an assitant to Appy, as you suggest. I would suggest that he stayed at Appy because a) he had been an HC at a major college football program and was unsuccessful, and b) he was so bad there he realistically knew that he had out-kicked his coverage.

I forgot about TT. I guess we will find out whats really important to Bohl after this season. He will undoubtedly get some offers.

td577
09-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I forgot about TT. I guess we will find out whats really important to Bohl after this season. He will undoubtedly get some offers.

Not only will he get some offers, I fully expect him to explore every possibility. I think he has earned anything positive that might happen to his career. I also don't want a coach looking back and wondering what could have been. Either if he goes or stays, I want it to be on his terms so there is no looking back. Some guys were made to be head coaches and he is one of them. He has developed a system that should translate into success with any program, as long as he gets the latitude to develop that system.

What has made Bohl so successful is that he hires coordinators that he allows to do their jobs. Bohl manages coordinators and the big picture stuff in a game while he lets his coordinators take care of their respective parts of the game. Like in last year's game with GSU. Bohl said he slipped into the offensive huddle on the sideline because he was curious. Not to micromanage. Just because he was curious. He has a general philosophy about direction, he hires coordinators who share his philosophy, and then trusts they will take care of their business. The funny thing is their failures reflect on him, as well. That is a heck of a lot of trust in your people.

I can't see him as a coordinator. He is a head coach. I hope he is a head coach for NDSU for a long time but I get it and would applaud his decision if he were to move on.

ISXBISON
09-05-2013, 05:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we lost Gene before we lose Bohl. Losing either would suck.

Bisonator98
09-05-2013, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we lost Gene before we lose Bohl. Losing either would suck.

What about Klieman? He has to be getting some attention too. Who takes over the D if he leaves??

RedRiver
09-05-2013, 07:00 PM

His son will be a starting linebacker at MSU-Moorhead. As a redshirt freshman he'll have 4 years of games across the river.......

56BISON73
09-05-2013, 08:14 PM
His son will be a starting linebacker at MSU-Moorhead. As a redshirt freshman he'll have 4 years of games across the river.......

Well he better step it up a notch if he wants to be around for the next 4 years to watch his kid!!!!:biggrin: