PDA

View Full Version : After watching the full game in HD in detail, some thoughts......

THEsocalledfan
09-03-2013, 12:33 AM
1. Kyle Emanuel made some excellent, excellent plays in the first couple K State drives.
2. Just how many low snaps did Jensen handle and not miss a beat? (and the need to work that out......)
3. John Crockett did not have the eye popping numbers of Ojuri, but was it just me, or did he run with his pads lower than I've seen before? Had had a few times were he really grinded out some yards without the shake and bake. I found it very impressive.
4. Mark my words: Waters for K State is a star in the making. If he grows up a bit, he will be playing on Sunday. I was VERY impressed for a first start. K State fans are morons if they do not see what Snyder sees.
5. On the first wildcat play that K State ran, not how Grant Olson immediately recognized it and changed out the defense at the last minute to basically a sell out run defense with man coverage. It was a heady play and led to a loss of yards.
6. That cut that Christian Dudzik made on his punt return was sick. I NEVER knew he had a move like that in him. I think this may be a way to keep Smith healthy to keep Christian returning punts.
7. Ryan Smith is 5' 7" and 175 lbs. He has to be one of the smallest guys on the field each week, but the guy simply plays with more heart than anyone I have seen in recent memory. I wish he was bigger; he'd be playing on Sunday next year.
8. Running read option and some classic option with Jensen without over using them equals brilliance by Coach Vigen. My goodness, what a great way to milk what Jensen is best at and further make the passing game even more deadly.
9. That read by Smith on the TD was a thing of beauty and an example of a QB and WR who know each other well. Brock let that ball go just before Smith made his cut inside.
10. Adam Keller was an unsung hero. Yes, he missed a chip shot, but he nailed a kick over 40 yards and his kicking off was nothing short of brilliant. (Edit, it was Ben LeCompte kicking off....)
11. Joey Harrington clearly did his homework on NDSU. Honestly, I was quite impressed by that crew and did an even better job than Mason and the boys during the last Gopher game. Their respect for NDSU was not lip service....
12. Waters first TD pass was sick.....watch that play again, and you will see why I think he has a chance to play on Sunday.
13. The play when Jensen threw the ball away rather than taking a 15 yard loss was one of his best plays that will be forgotten.
14. Waters really only horrible play was the pick to Marcus. That was as bad or worse than Jensen's pick.
15. Not sure I have seen a field goal more hit an upright more square and solid than that one Keller missed. He couldn't do that again if he tried!
16. Marcus Williams need to find his jock strap from that touchdown play. He better get used to that if he wants to play on Sunday. With that said, his play in the endzone early in the game was perfect and overall, had a good game.
17. Jensen's pick was horrible. I think he was pressing.....
18. Jensen's completion to Smith on 3rd down after the second K State TD in the third quarter was HUGE. It prevented a 3 and out; honestly, NDSU would lose without this play.
19. Same drive, Brock having the ball in his left arm is the only reason they got the first down and I do think he got it.
20. Again, the play call the bootleg pass to Andrew Bonnet on the 3rd quarter TD drive was simply brilliant. I again tip my hat to Coach Vigen.
21. The TD throw for Brock to Kevin Vaadeland I think was his single best throw of the night. On time, with mustard, right where it needed to be.
22. While we will all remember The Drive, note points 18-21 were all from the 3rd quarter TD. That TD may have been even more critical to the Bison win if that is even possible. It got them back in the game. It showed senior leadership. They had taken K States best shots to the face, and they did not back down. THAT was the moment I am sure that Coach Snyder started to worry.
23. 3 and out after the NDSU TD was huge......it sent a signal to K State that we will play NDSU style football, not theirs.
24. Ojuri, on his long run, is gone (and so would have Dudzik on the punt return) in any FCS game. That was a good example of the higher level of play.
25. Tatanka is officially a media whore.
26. Watch Ojuri's run again in the slow motion portion. Note the smile on Coach Bohl's face as his is running along. I think he knew at that moment NDSU had them where we wanted them. It was priceless.
27. Joey Harrington was wrong; Waters did legitimately get that big first down on 4th down in the 4th quarter.
28. My thought after watching Beck launch himself at Waters: Who in the hell picks a fight with this guy?
29. When NDSU is getting ready for The Drive, and I still cannot believe this, the "Let's Go Bison" chant was absolutely rocking the stadium. What does that do to a defense at home?
30. On the long first down by Lang, watch the line blocking. It was brilliant. Some K State players read the play, but the line blocked perfectly and he ran off the blocks perfectly (not to mention the excellent chip by Lang to give Brock another second). Honestly, it was the play of the night and the epitome of what teamwork means.
31. On that one yard run to win the game, Brock Jensen beat their best defender. NO ONE was going to stop him on that play once he started his forward motion.

And my favorite thing of the game:

32. They cut to Bohl after the Grant Olson INT as they were preparing for victory formation. If he wasn't crying, he was pretty damn close.....

I have NEVER seen players play better as a team than this game and I have NEVER seen a team better coached than this game.

Hail the Bison!

No_Skill
09-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Great post! NEG REP 4U!

THEsocalledfan
09-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Great post! NEG REP 4U!

you appear to have pushed the wrong rep button... :)

tony
09-03-2013, 12:54 AM
32. They cut to Bohl after the Grant Olson INT as they were preparing for victory formation. If he wasn't crying, he was pretty damn close.....

I have NEVER seen players play better as a team than this game and I have NEVER seen a team better coached than this game.

Hail the Bison!

Nice observations. I thought Coach Bohl was tearing up too.

Not to be negative but, for me, #33 would be:

33. K-State's secondary was making quite a few high hits. They might want to work on that.

CarolinaBisonFan
09-03-2013, 01:12 AM
On Brocks run to the 1, it looked like Billy Turner knocked him over, not a defender. Also, KState never adjusted to motioning the RB, clearing out the middle LB for the slant. Worked every time.

GOBISON123
09-03-2013, 01:12 AM
I understand correctly what K-State fans are posting on their message board, Daniel Sams might be the starting QB.

THEsocalledfan
09-03-2013, 01:14 AM
I understand correctly what K-State fans are posting on their message board, Daniel Sams might be the starting QB.

I think that is dumb. Waters was great, but they need to run the ball more.

CaBisonFan
09-03-2013, 01:18 AM
great post socalled

bisonpride4ever
09-03-2013, 01:47 AM
Grothmann's blocking on the fly sweep they ran on the first play of the game and his block in Ojuri's long run were nice to see. Best FB in the league if not the country.

JustinTyem
09-03-2013, 01:55 AM
My wife agrees about comment #25^^^^ , LoL We think he wants to be on a Box of Wheaties the Breakfast of Champions...

JustinTyem
09-03-2013, 01:57 AM
On Brocks run to the 1, it looked like Billy Turner knocked him over, not a defender. Also, KState never adjusted to motioning the RB, clearing out the middle LB for the slant. Worked every time.Billy tackled Brock,LoL They were playing a game of Leap Frog!!!!!

bisoneer
09-03-2013, 02:48 AM
A side from the big scoring plays and great special teams play, one of my favorite plays was the one where Brock Jensen pushed their big #97 for about six yards and I think it was for a first down and the big dude was injured on the play unfortunately but it was kind of funny seeing our qb push that big guy backwards!

Bison bison
09-03-2013, 02:53 AM
I agree completely.

Play of the game to me.

ndsubison1
09-03-2013, 02:57 AM
1. Ojuri looks bigger
2. Vigen and Co. did a great job disguising plays. Started the game with the Smith in motion jet sweep or w/e you want to call it. Then late in the game did the same thing with Smith in motion but Brock kept it and got it to the one yard line. There were a few other plays similar to that where it looked like we were going to do one thing and then we ran it differently

BisonNation11
09-03-2013, 03:22 AM
On Brocks run to the 1, it looked like Billy Turner knocked him over, not a defender. Also, KState never adjusted to motioning the RB, clearing out the middle LB for the slant. Worked every time.

If you watch this play from the end zone angle, you can see that a defender hits Jensen's right leg and that is what takes him down. Turner was following for the victory celebration.

A side from the big scoring plays and great special teams play, one of my favorite plays was the one where Brock Jensen pushed their big #97 for about six yards and I think it was for a first down and the big dude was injured on the play unfortunately but it was kind of funny seeing our qb push that big guy backwards!

Why is no one giving credit to Colville (I believe) on this play. If it is just Brock, he gets no where. Maybe I haven't watched the play close enough, but I give Colville all the credit for sticking with his block.

EndZoneQB
09-03-2013, 03:34 AM
Ojuri damn near out ran the angle...he definitely got faster. Both of those kids got better. I'm excited.

GOBISON123
09-03-2013, 04:00 AM
1. Ojuri looks bigger
2. Vigen and Co. did a great job disguising plays. Started the game with the Smith in motion jet sweep or w/e you want to call it. Then late in the game did the same thing with Smith in motion but Brock kept it and got it to the one yard line. There were a few other plays similar to that where it looked like we were going to do one thing and then we ran it differently

I saw him on campus before the K-State game, yes he has. He looks more strong and beefy.

THEsocalledfan
09-03-2013, 04:04 AM
I saw him on campus before the K-State game, yes he has. He looks more strong and beefy.

Clearly, he is thinking NFL. Well, that was a hell of an audition. He plays like that all year, someone will give him a chance.

runtheoption
09-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Why is no one giving credit to Colville (I believe) on this play. If it is just Brock, he gets no where. Maybe I haven't watched the play close enough, but I give Colville all the credit for sticking with his block. Yep, I give more credit to Colville for sustaining a block for that long. Those 2 guys totally pancaked the KSU nose guard.

dewey
09-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Another play that I think was over looked was the K-State punt coverage team not looking for the ball at the 5 yard line and the ball bounces by them and into the end zone. Starting at the 20 was a lot better than tarting at the 5. You could see the look on Coach Snyder's face of disbelief that no one looked for the ball.

Also Colville and Brock did a great job of pushing the DT down field for the 8-9 yard gain.

Great list socalled!!!

Dewey

stevdock
09-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Why is no one giving credit to Colville (I believe) on this play. If it is just Brock, he gets no where. Maybe I haven't watched the play close enough, but I give Colville all the credit for sticking with his block.

GIve Colville credit for the option play to get Brock down to the 1 yard line. It looked like he had to reach a 2 technique (head up on the Guard) basically by himself. Tough block to make but after that Brock basically had 5 linemen lead blocking for him.

thundarsdaddy
09-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Grothmann's blocking on the fly sweep they ran on the first play of the game and his block in Ojuri's long run were nice to see. Best FB in the league if not the country.

Totally agree, Grothmann plays the FB position as good as anyone!

also, THEsocalledFan, this is a great post, a great list you made...and I totally agree about Waters and KSU's need to run the ball more. After Waters gets some playing time with both his new teammates, and a whole new offensive system(for him), he will be a top QB in the big 12. Waters is a natural pocket QB, and reads the field well!

SDbison
09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Would be fun to list all of the players and their contributions to this game. Not just guys that carry the ball. Some guys only got in the game for a few plays but contributed in huge ways. One play that comes to mind is the pass to our back up FB Bonnet. Everybody just stepped up and did what they needed to do and then some. Even those that messed up once seemed to make up for it......Brock throwing an interception and then coming back with 15 straight completions!. Vaadland missing a challenging TD pass then catching the next one that was similarly difficult. Just f'ing awesome performances all around.

KC Bison
09-03-2013, 04:49 PM
I thought our kickoffs were genius. KSU was all reved up with their high flyers, ready to make long returns. We had 5 kickoffs. I think 2 were pooch kicks down the right side of the field with one of their up men catching the ball and getting maybe 3-4 yards before 5 Bison surrounded him. After they started cheating up and over to the right, we put 1 or 2 nice pooches down the left side. Then at the end, when they all cheated up, we put a kickoff over their heads into the end zone. Apparently, the rules have changed as they left it laying in the end zone without losing possession of the ball. They ended up on the 30-35 yd line each time but had no chance to make long runs.

bisonrock
09-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Colville got the recognition from the Fox Sports announcer saying he kept "pushing and pushing". Great play. Whole O-line really stepped up.

kbswish22
09-03-2013, 06:34 PM
I apologize if someone has already made this observation, but I watched the game on DVR last night and at the 3 and a half min mark Kstate calls timeout, as the players are coming off bohl has a sort of smile on his face and, if my lip reading skills are correct, I think he says "they're tired rams, they're tired men, they're tired." And he was right, that drive was punishing

westnodak93bison
09-03-2013, 07:18 PM
I thought our kickoffs were genius. KSU was all reved up with their high flyers, ready to make long returns. We had 5 kickoffs. I think 2 were pooch kicks down the right side of the field with one of their up men catching the ball and getting maybe 3-4 yards before 5 Bison surrounded him. After they started cheating up and over to the right, we put 1 or 2 nice pooches down the left side. Then at the end, when they all cheated up, we put a kickoff over their heads into the end zone. Apparently, the rules have changed as they left it laying in the end zone without losing possession of the ball. They ended up on the 30-35 yd line each time but had no chance to make long runs.

I kind of thought they may let Barneson boom it out of the end zone since he did it in spring ball.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CAS4127
09-03-2013, 07:28 PM
One issue that I am struggling with is those blaming Snyder for vanilla play calling. My thought is and was, what choice did he have when ball was in play. We made them one-dimensional by taking away their running game, and there are only so many pass plays that can be called that will work when the threat of a run call has been taken away. I mean, you can't just sit there and run fly patterns and the like, first because they will be effective only occasionally, and second, because your WR's will run out of gas in that hot-ass weather. The two big plays they did have were out-and-ups basically, and were good calls, but how many times can you run those given than they are designed to get the dback to bite on the out?! The only thing that Snyder could have tried was to put Sams in, as we in the past have had some trouble with shifty, fast QB's, but then the pass likely would not have been as much of an option. Snyder's hands were a bit tied after he saw what we were doing to their run game IMO.

Just my .02

ndsubison1
09-03-2013, 08:24 PM
One issue that I am struggling with is those blaming Snyder for vanilla play calling. My thought is and was, what choice did he have when ball was in play. We made them one-dimensional by taking away their running game, and there are only so many pass plays that can be called that will work when the threat of a run call has been taken away. I mean, you can't just sit there and run fly patterns and the like, first because they will be effective only occasionally, and second, because your WR's will run out of gas in that hot-ass weather. The two big plays they did have were out-and-ups basically, and were good calls, but how many times can you run those given than they are designed to get the dback to bite on the out?! The only thing that Snyder could have tried was to put Sams in, as we in the past have had some trouble with shifty, fast QB's, but then the pass likely would not have been as much of an option. Snyder's hands were a bit tied after he saw what we were doing to their run game IMO.

Just my .02

very true. we made them one dimensional and they couldnt just keep going to the pass like you said. their running game was non-existant. 4th quarter we wore them down and finally started getting to the QB

THEsocalledfan
09-03-2013, 09:33 PM

Just my .02

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, Waters was starting his first game! What the heck do they expect?

BisonNation11
09-03-2013, 10:08 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, Waters was starting his first game! What the heck do they expect?

Hey, when Wentz gets his first start, I expect to see a gun-slinging SOB that goes off for 350 yards to help the running game go for 300. No less!

Waters is the real deal and played very well!

IBleedYellow
09-03-2013, 11:22 PM
I just want to point out that Brocks INT wasn't horrible, the pass was thrown amazing and probably a little far back, but Brock had locked in on that route too soon, the safety saw it and sat the route.
The ball went almost perfectly where it needs to go in that case, if the safety doesn't sit the route.

Moto X

JMB
09-03-2013, 11:31 PM

This.... When I saw the last kickoff, the first thing I thought was, "Wow, we really have completely and totally out coached these guys tonight."

tony
09-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Billy Turner wasn't the only guy to block two defenders. I saw a play where Andrew Grothmann* did it too - different technique though.

* Heh, had to include his first name - most players I think of as full names but #40 has always just been Grothmann.

Bison bison
09-05-2013, 11:34 PM
First name?

When Bohl first found him, he was body slamming a grizzly bear into rocks along the Goose River yelling, "GROTH!!!".

jtownbisonfan
09-05-2013, 11:49 PM
First name?

When Bohl first found him, he was body slamming a grizzly bear into rocks along the Goose River yelling, "GROTH!!!".

^^^^This. This will be all I can envision on Saturday.^^^^

CAS4127
09-05-2013, 11:52 PM
I don't watch replays, but my impression was that we actually rotated more players then they did. Any way to find out whether that is accurate--as in who played more players? That would be interesting--to me at least--given their alleged depth advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

CaBisonFan
09-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Our two fullbacks played a big part in this win. They're a great combination.

Bison"FANatic"
09-06-2013, 12:22 AM
I don't watch replays, but my impression was that we actually rotated more players then they did. Any way to find out whether that is accurate--as in who played more players? That would be interesting--to me at least--given their alleged depth advantage.

We played 49 they played 46

CAS4127
09-06-2013, 12:26 AM
We played 49 they played 46

Thanks!! Adds a bit to the story IMO!!

Bison"FANatic"
09-06-2013, 12:37 AM
The number I find crazy is they were in the red zone 1 time.

56BISON73
09-06-2013, 12:44 AM
The number I find crazy is they were in the red zone 1 time.

:omfg::omfg::omfg:

tony
09-06-2013, 12:51 AM
First name?

Photo or it didn't happen... oh wait...

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5344/9680879383_7b9d2bf806.jpg

Stupid bear.

And, yes, I am aware that Grothmann speaks perfectly normal English but when you are body-slamming grizzly bears onto the frozen ice of the Goose River, talking like a caveman is perfectly acceptable. Know your audience, people.

westnodak93bison
09-06-2013, 04:40 AM

Why not? Go to the link posted on another thread....the Big xII no huddle. Watch it in 45 min. I did it for my folks and kind of did own play by play.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TransAmBison
09-06-2013, 04:36 PM
I don't watch replaysCan't figure out the DVR?

CAS4127
09-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Don't have DVR or time. Plus, I have a photographic memory and dream in colors.

TransAmBison
09-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Don't have DVR or time. Plus, I have a photographic memory and dream in colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)You lost your dvr to AG, huh? I'm guessing you remember it vividly.

BisonTeacher
09-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Just rewatched the second half. Some of the still shots of the KSU fans near the end are priceless.

Hammerhead
09-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Do players need to make a tackle or touch the ball on offense to be counted in the participation in the box score?
http://www.gobison.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=1477

NDSU had 3 more players listed than KSU.

stevdock
09-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Do players need to make a tackle or touch the ball on offense to be counted in the participation in the box score?
http://www.gobison.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=1477

NDSU had 3 more players listed than KSU.

No I don't think so. I think they are listed if they were on the field for 1 play. We've got a couple of O-Line backups on that list that I'm assuming are on the FG/X-Point teams. Plus there were other guys on that list that solely played other specials.

BisonNeil
09-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Hammer is right, three more participated for the Bison. Not sure that means anything.

Participation Report (Final)
2013 Kansas State Football
North Dakota State vs Kansas State (Aug 30, 2013 at Manhattan, Kan.)

North Dakota State

Pos

##

Offense

WR

Ryan Smith

LT

Billy Turner

LG

Zack Johnson

C

Josh Colville

RG

Tyler Gimmestad

RT

Joe Haeg

TE

Kevin Vaadeland

TE

Taylor Nelson

QB

Brock Jensen

FB

A. Grothmann

RB

Sam Ojuri

North Dakota State

Pos

##

Defense

DE

Cole Jirik

DT

Danny Luecke

NG

Ryan Drevlow

DE

Kyle Emanuel

SLB

C. Littlejohn

MLB

Grant Olson

WLB

Travis Beck

QB

CJ Smith

SS

Colten Heagle

FS

C. Dudzik

CB

Marcus Williams

Kansas State

Pos

##

Offense

LT

Lucas, C.

LG

Whitehair, Cody

C

Finney, B.J.

RG

7J

Taylor, Keenan

RT

Rooks, Tavon

WR

Sexton, Curry

WR

Thompson, T.

WR

Lockett, Tyler

WR

Miller, Torell

QB

Waters, Jake

FB

Gronkowski, G.

Kansas State

Pos

##

Defense

DE

Mueller, Ryan

DT

Reed, Chaquil

DT

Britz, Travis

DE

Bryant, Marquel

LB

Walker, Tre

LB

Slaughter, B.

LB

Truman, J.

DB

Zimmerman, Ty

CB

1E

Evans, Randall

DB

Barnett, Dante

CB

Daily, Kip

North Dakota State: 3-Trevor Gebhart, 5-Derrick Lang, 7-Zach Colvin, 9-Esley Thorton, 12-Cooper Wahlo, 13-Eric Perkins, 14-Bo Liekhus, 17-Adam Keller, 19-Ben LeCompte, 23-John Crockett, 24-Bryan Shepherd, 28-Andrew Smith, 29-AJ Van Voorhis, 32-Jordan Champion, 41-MJ Stumpf, 46-Andrew Bonnet, 47-P. Gee-Tucker, 50-Michael Murphy, 61-Brian Schaetz, 63-Anthony LaVoy, 65-Adam Schueller, 74-Andrew Nack, 80-Nate Moody, 82-Zach Vraa, 83-Carey Woods, 91-Mike Hardie, 95-Jeremy Gordon.

Kansas State: 1B-Weber, Stanton, 2A-Johnson, S., 2Z-Schellenberg, D, 2-Miles Jr, Carl, 3-Cantele, Jack, 3C-Burns, Morgan, 4A-Roberts, D., 4-Sams, Daniel, 17-Hiebert, Weston, 18-McDonald, Andre, 33-Hubert, John, 35-Davis, Will, 37-Marley, Cody, 38-Krause, Mark, 52-Moore, C., 63-Heit, Marcus, 70-Ash, Will, 79-Brown, Chris, 83-Stephens, Logan, 85-Trujillo, Zach, 89-Nemechek, Zach, 90-Dowling, Laton, 94-Finau, Alauna, 97-Hood, Demonte.

Kermit
09-11-2013, 08:32 PM
49-Nick DeLuca also played for the Bison (kickoff team).

CAS4127
09-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Hammer is right, three more participated for the Bison. Not sure that means anything.

My point in broaching the topic/issue was that we were told many times pre-game by our KState visitors that we did not have any players worthy of a BCS/FBS offer, that they had way more depth, and that those two things would show up glaringly in the game and ultimate result. Turns out that they must not have as much depth as we do, nor the amount of players their coaches have trust in, as we played more men, and beat them in their house that felt like the plenum of a furnace the entire game.