PDA

View Full Version : Future FBS opponents?

thebootfitter
09-01-2013, 04:16 PM
I know there was a thread some months back discussing this, but I searched several terms as well waded back through 25 pages to find it with no luck.

Other than Iowa State next year, do we have any future FBS games scheduled?

What sorts of opponents do we have a realistic shot at scheduling? Anyone have any insight into GT's actions or progress on this front?

Personally, I think it would be kind of cool to get Boise State on the schedule. Since a number of references to "the next Boise State" have been popping up, it would be fun to see the match up.

A pie in the sky idea that I think would be a lot of fun, but I'm sure will never become reality for so many reasons is for the FBS crowned champ to take on the FCS playoff champ in a final exhibition game, say the Saturday before the Superbowl or something. Even though it may not even be a close game, it would be interesting to see how they actually stack up at the end of the season.

Bison 4 Life
09-01-2013, 04:17 PM
I know there was a thread some months back discussing this, but I searched several terms as well waded back through 25 pages to find it with no luck.

What sorts of opponents do we have a realistic shot at scheduling? Anyone have any insight into GT's actions or progress on this front?

Personally, I think it would be kind of cool to get Boise State on the schedule. Since a number of references to "the next Boise State" have been popping up, it would be fun to see the match up.

A pie in the sky idea that I think would be a lot of fun, but I'm sure will never become reality for so many reasons is for the FBS crowned champ to take on the FCS playoff champ in a final exhibition game, say the Saturday before the Superbowl or something. Even though it may not even be a close game, it would be interesting to see how they actually stack up at the end of the season.

Iowa's keeping us on the schedule. the B1G decision will fall apart before then.

td577
09-01-2013, 04:29 PM
If they ain't on the schedule and a FBS program feels they have a chance at a BCS bowl, they won't schedule NDSU. Not until we start regularily losing. If KSU had any inkling of a big season, the way the BCS is set up, their season is pretty close to over.

Good FBS programs will be scared to play us. Good FCS OOC schools are scared to play us. It leaves NDSU with only two options. Either advocate a 9 game conference schedule to bring OOC games down to 2 most years or move up.

BisonNeil
09-01-2013, 05:02 PM
If they ain't on the schedule and a FBS program feels they have a chance at a BCS bowl, they won't schedule NDSU. Not until we start regularily losing. If KSU had any inkling of a big season, the way the BCS is set up, their season is pretty close to over.

Good FBS programs will be scared to play us. Good FCS OOC schools are scared to play us. It leaves NDSU with only two options. Either advocate a 9 game conference schedule to bring OOC games down to 2 most years or move up.

The BCS is done after this season, so your argument is a bit moot at this point.

td577
09-01-2013, 08:18 PM
The BCS is done after this season, so your argument is a bit moot at this point.

Whatever you want to call the next level of bowl games, then call them what you want. There will still be that next tier of lucrative bowls that are exponentially more profitable than the December 15th ones. Forget about SOS arguments, individual programs will start realizing KSU is probably done for anything of the huge money variety one game in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

WYOBISONMAN
09-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Whatever you want to call the next level of bowl games, then call them what you want. There will still be that next tier of lucrative bowls that are exponentially more profitable than the December 15th ones. Forget about SOS arguments, individual programs will start realizing KSU is probably done for anything of the huge money variety one game in.

Exactly.......these major programs will not want to take that much risk. Not only did K-State take a terrible loss, it will cost their progam a lot of money. Any hope of a BCS Bowl bid is all but gone.

North Side
09-01-2013, 08:29 PM
If you are a BCS football team why would you ever play a FCS team? I would just play a MAC or Sun Belt team everytime. Strength of schedule will come into the playoff factor for FBS school in the next couple of years and playing FCS teams does not help sos. When you play a FCS school it's like wrestling your little brother, if you win everyone expects it and it's not a big deal at all and if you lose its devastating, you can't win.

All that said I really hope B1G starts playing FCS teams. It is great for us.

Lord Bison
09-01-2013, 10:40 PM
I'd love to go to a game at UofW. Road trip to Seattle anyone? Maybe even take the train. Choo choo

stevdock
09-01-2013, 10:49 PM
We just need to call the schools that are cocky enough to think they can beat anybody at any time. That means SEC. I'd personally love to see a PAC 12 team as I've told my Arizona friends for years that NDSU would beat the U of A.

gumby013
09-01-2013, 11:21 PM
We just need to call the schools that are cocky enough to think they can beat anybody at any time. That means SEC. I'd personally love to see a PAC 12 team as I've told my Arizona friends for years that NDSU would beat the U of A.

I'd recommend Missouri or Arkansas for that. Relatively easy drive to Columbia or Fayetteville. Both also have a tendency to lose games they shouldn't.

SamsRams
09-01-2013, 11:28 PM
IAll that said I really hope B1G starts playing FCS teams. It is great for us.

ummmm they never stopped. Its like a kid who threatens run away, you know they will never follow through on such a stupid idea

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-02-2013, 03:05 AM
Ok back on topic.

We have no FBS for 2015. Any leads? Is it too late to get a major on the schedule for 2015.

GOBISON123
09-02-2013, 03:08 AM
I'd recommend Missouri or Arkansas for that. Relatively easy drive to Columbia or Fayetteville. Both also have a tendency to lose games they shouldn't.

I recomend our AD schedules Purdue

Hammerhead
09-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Wisconsin has 2 open dates in 2015.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/big-ten/2015-wisconsin-badgers-football-schedule.php

It looks like Oregon State's non-conference schedule is set for 2015 :)

Hansel
09-02-2013, 03:34 AM

Mizzou plays SDSU next year- they don't have an FCS listed for 2015 yet.

Hammersmith
09-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Ok back on topic.

We have no FBS for 2015. Any leads? Is it too late to get a major on the schedule for 2015.
I'm not positive we're looking, or at least looking hard. That's the year we go to Missoula. I'm not sure what GT & CB value more: six home games or an FBS game.

bruinbison
09-02-2013, 04:21 PM

Here's the link to the Iowa game Bison 4 Life mentioned - September 17th, 2016
They play their big rival Iowa State the weekend before, hmmm
hope ISU gives'em a game.....

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071113aak.html

td577
09-02-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm not positive we're looking, or at least looking hard. That's the year we go to Missoula. I'm not sure what GT & CB value more: six home games or an FBS game.

Monetarily, 6 home games. From an exposure standpoint, FBS opponent. That would be my guess. You have to figure how one will benefit the other and then make the best call.

ndsubison1
09-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Exactly.......these major programs will not want to take that much risk. Not only did K-State take a terrible loss, it will cost their progam a lot of money. Any hope of a BCS Bowl bid is all but gone.

the national championship yes. the other bcs bowls no

SDbison
09-02-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm not positive we're looking, or at least looking hard. That's the year we go to Missoula. I'm not sure what GT & CB value more: six home games or an FBS game. Is 2016 a possible 12 game season for FCS team? Again, how is that determined? 5 weekends in December?

Hammersmith
09-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Is 2016 a possible 12 game season for FCS team? Again, how is that determined? 5 weekends in December?
2016 is an 11-game year. 12-game seasons happen when there are 14 Saturdays between the Thursday before Labor Day and the second Sunday in December. The next three years like that are this year(2013), next year(2014) and 2019.

I guess an easier way to look at it is if the 1st of Sept falls on a Sunday or Monday, it's 12 games; any other day of the week and it's 11 games.

90 BISON
09-04-2013, 04:01 AM
K-State still has a chance at a BCS Bowl, it is called the BigXII title. Who knows it is still possible, they have only lost one game so far. Sure they have no chance at the BCS Title but hey who knows what they can do in the Big XII. They have talent and great coaching...

natstar1
09-04-2013, 04:32 AM
the national championship yes. the other bcs bowls no
this...

K-State still has a chance at a BCS Bowl, it is called the BigXII title. Who knows it is still possible, they have only lost one game so far. Sure they have no chance at the BCS Title but hey they have who knows what they can do in the Big XII
and this

SamsRams
09-04-2013, 09:06 AM
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/big-ten/2015-wisconsin-badgers-football-schedule.php

It will be a cold day in hell when Alvarez schedules NDSU in football.

thebootfitter
09-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Why?
-10 char-

SamsRams
09-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Why?
-10 char-

Why would he?

NorthernBison
09-04-2013, 12:43 PM

You and I might disagree on how "committed" the B1G is to their FCS ban but you are 100% correct about Alvarez. He is adamant about not playing us.

Herd
09-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Half the reason these FBS wins feel so good is showing smug bastards like Alvarez how football is played in the FCS. You can bet he was one person pulling hard for an NDSU loss last week. He obviously has a burr in his saddle for playing FCS games, and specifically for NDSU. Might have something to do with a Basketball game a few years ago.

thebootfitter
09-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Half the reason these FBS wins feel so good is showing smug bastards like Alvarez how football is played in the FCS. You can bet he was one person pulling hard for an NDSU loss last week. He obviously has a burr in his saddle for playing FCS games, and specifically for NDSU. Might have something to do with a Basketball game a few years ago.
So... He is more respectful of NDSU? Or smarter than the average major conference school Ad?

NorthernBison
09-04-2013, 02:00 PM

I'd have to disagree with most of what you posted. Alvarez is a football guy and he KNOWS how the system works.

I have a hard time believing that ANY major FBS coach is as dumb as the typical fan regarding the quality of FCS competition. Barry's reasoning for avoiding FCS games is all due to the perception of fans, media, and pollsters regarding the value of those wins and the impact of losses. Quite simply, it tends to be a "no win" situation for those programs that aspire to the top of the heap.

I really doubt that a basketball loss from when Woody was a Freshman is something he gives a crap about anymore.

DePereBisonFan
09-04-2013, 02:12 PM

It looks like Oregon State's non-conference schedule is set for 2015 :)

Just looking over Wisconsin's Big 10 schedule in 2015. It looks pretty weak:

Iowa
@ Nebraska
Purdue
@ Illinois
Rutgers
@ Maryland
Northwestern
@ Minnesota

The only challenging game there should be @ Nebraska. The Big 10 really seems to have gotten watered down by adding Rutgers and Maryland. I don't see how a team with that conference schedule will be invited to the college football playoff. If they beat Alabama right away, then going undefeated in conference will look ok, but if they lose to Alabama, they have no chance.

td577
09-04-2013, 02:15 PM
I'd have to disagree with most of what you posted. Alvarez is a football guy and he KNOWS how the system works.

I have a hard time believing that ANY major FBS coach is as dumb as the typical fan regarding the quality of FCS competition. Barry's reasoning for avoiding FCS games is all due to the perception of fans, media, and pollsters regarding the value of those wins and the impact of losses. Quite simply, it tends to be a "no win" situation for those programs that aspire to the top of the heap.

I really doubt that a basketball loss from when Woody was a Freshman is something he gives a crap about anymore.

This.

I don't like Alvarez, but what he is saying makes a lot of football sense for the top echelon teams in college football. He doesn't want the lower teams in the conference dragging his team down. While in any given year, the MVFC might get a higher SOS rating than some of the mid-level FBS conferences, the consistenency in maximizing SOS will be playing FBS programs.

DePereBisonFan
09-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Boise State has Sept 5, 2015 open. Let's do this!

Northern Illinois would also be decent.

td577
09-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Just looking over Wisconsin's Big 10 schedule in 2015. It looks pretty weak:

Iowa
@ Nebraska
Purdue
@ Illinois
Rutgers
@ Maryland
Northwestern
@ Minnesota

The only challenging game there should be @ Nebraska. The Big 10 really seems to have gotten watered down by adding Rutgers and Maryland. I don't see how a team with that conference schedule will be invited to the college football playoff. If they beat Alabama right away, then going undefeated in conference will look ok, but if they lose to Alabama, they have no chance.

This is exactly why Alvarez wants to game the system. It doesn't matter if all those teams lose football games all year, it matters that they lose to teams from higher level conferences during the OOC part of the schedule.

WYOBISONMAN
09-04-2013, 02:19 PM

I would drive to that one!

JSUBison
09-04-2013, 02:29 PM
I vote no FBS team in 2015. Traveling to Montana is enough. How about having Western Carolina come up that year? That game was postponed, not cancelled from what I remember.

tony
09-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Illinois, Nebraska, Wisconsin = my FBS wish list. All are in our recruiting area. Well, Colorado would be good too. And Washington. Gotta say, playing MAC, CUSA, and Sunbelt teams is not any more attractive than playing a home-and-home with an FCS school. Mountain West, BCS, or nothing.

Thought I saw a tweet from Dom or Jeff about NDSU trying to get on Arizona/Arizona State's schedule. That would be a good game.

devin45k
09-04-2013, 02:30 PM

Wouldn't mind the travel time to Northern Illinois

BisonTru
09-04-2013, 02:34 PM
To me it comes down to money. How much would we need to get paid to be worth giving up a home game to play at an FBS in '15?

DePereBisonFan
09-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Illinois, Nebraska, Wisconsin = my FBS wish list. All are in our recruiting area. Well, Colorado would be good too. And Washington. Gotta say, playing MAC, CUSA, and Sunbelt teams is not any more attractive than playing a home-and-home with an FCS school. Mountain West, BCS, or nothing.

Thought I saw a tweet from Dom or Jeff about NDSU trying to get on Arizona/Arizona State's schedule. That would be a good game.

How about a home and home with a MAC team? ISU Red is doing it I think...

devin45k
09-04-2013, 03:02 PM
How about a home and home with a MAC team? ISU Red is doing it I think...

With who? I was unaware....

I would like this although it is a long shot. Some of the attendances at schools like Eastern Michigan are lower than our attendance.

BisonTru
09-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Looks like they did that with Ball State but Ball State bought out of the return game.
http://www.goredbirds.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082813aac.html

devin45k
09-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Looks like they did that with Ball State but Ball State bought out of the return game.
http://www.goredbirds.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082813aac.html

I have a feeling that would happen to us, especially if we beat them on their turf the first time.

WYOBISONMAN
09-04-2013, 03:11 PM
I have a feeling that would happen to us, especially if we beat them on their turf the first time.

We would need a home and home to have the first game in Fargo. Still a long shot.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Boise State has Sept 5, 2015 open. Let's do this!Northern Illinois would also be decent.

Boise State would be cool.

devin45k
09-04-2013, 03:17 PM
We would need a home and home to have the first game in Fargo. Still a long shot.

Especially winning the last 4 FBS games. I am sure they wouldn't even think about it.

Herd
09-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Northern IL, Boise or Nevada would tell the Bison . . . hell ya, bring it on. IL, NE, WI would say, um, no thankyou. (we are scared to lose)

WYOBISONMAN
09-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Northern IL, Boise or Nevada would tell the Bison . . . hell ya, bring it on. IL, NE, WI would say, um, no thankyou. (we are scared to lose)

Boise would never do a home and home. They are trying to play opponents that will get them a BCS Bowl bid, playing NDSU would hurt those chances. And, that may wind up being the issue with getting any more BCS games.

Bisonator98
09-04-2013, 04:09 PM
We may have to look toward the SEC if we want another FBS game. Bring on Bama! :hide:

SamsRams
09-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Boise would never do a home and home. They are trying to play opponents that will get them a BCS Bowl bid, playing NDSU would hurt those chances. And, that may wind up being the issue with getting any more BCS games.

bcs bowl bids are gone after this year right?

also it would have to be around 900k for NDSU to even consider a FBS in 15

ndsubison1
09-04-2013, 07:27 PM

They play Tennessee tech this weekend

NDSUBowler
09-04-2013, 07:37 PM
I saw that tweet too and it made me very excited.

A chance to go back down to ASU?? I'll take it!

Hammersmith
09-04-2013, 09:21 PM

Arizona State especially would be a valid exception to the drivable FBS rule. As long as we could convince Allegiant to add a few extra flights the days before and after. Easy money for them and easy travel for us.

edit: Just listened to the Dizzo's Den where AZ & ASU came up. Idea came from Bohl since we recruit the area. He told GT in passing that those school might be interesting for us. Feels like GT will make the phone call to see if they might be interested. Got the feeling Wisconsin and Nebraska will never happen under the current regimes.

SDbison
09-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Arizona State especially would be a valid exception to the drivable FBS rule. As long as we could convince Allegiant to add a few extra flights the days before and after. Easy money for them and easy travel for us. Also, lots of Alumni in the Phoenix area.

SamsRams
09-04-2013, 09:51 PM
I would like to whoop up on FAU or USF to show the Florida recruits what Bison football is all about.

Hammerhead
09-05-2013, 02:14 AM
Also lots of alumni in Socal.

Also, lots of Alumni in the Phoenix area.

http://www.ndsualumnicenter.com/alumniassociation/maps/national/webmap.gif

1st&TennBison
09-05-2013, 02:34 AM

Wouldlove to see a ASU game, esp since my daughter has just started going to school there this year, would be a great time to visit.

PlainsBison
09-05-2013, 03:05 AM
I vote for ASU. Just shut down the whole state, and let's all go down for an extended weekend.

SamsRams
04-11-2014, 04:58 AM
I am hearing their are some UNLV talks. From the way it was explained to me, UNLV was more interested in a game with NDSU than NDSU was with a game with UNLV. guessing it has to do with playing outside of their recruiting footprint.

The info came from someone who graduated from NDSU and has close ties to higher ups at both schools.

NDSUstudent
04-11-2014, 05:01 AM
If UNLV wants to play I am all for it. I think we would be crazy to say no, Bison fans would flock to Vegas.

344Johnson
04-11-2014, 06:25 AM
I am hearing their are some UNLV talks. From the way it was explained to me, UNLV was more interested in a game with NDSU than NDSU was with a game with UNLV. guessing it has to do with playing outside of their recruiting footprint.

The info came from someone who graduated from NDSU and has close ties to higher ups at both schools.

I'm down. Why UNLV would be.......good question.

westnodak93bison
04-11-2014, 06:34 AM
I'm surprised Hauck would allow it. Unless they are banking on a sell out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

SamsRams
04-11-2014, 11:07 AM
I'm surprised Hauck would allow it. Unless they are banking on a sell out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

That was how it was explained to me. They loved the wisconsin crowd but not impressed with Minnesota. I don't think it fits well for ndsu but for selfish reasons i would love it.

HerdBot
04-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Also lots of alumni in Socal.

http://www.ndsualumnicenter.com/alumniassociation/maps/national/webmap.gif

Good info. Plenty if alumni in the PAC 12 territory in general so others would take notice. Playing an Arizona school could be a great opportunity to connect with alumni and certainly a win would be noticed nationally. Not a ton of recruiting done there but we seem to snag a few kids out of Arizona. Would be a tough game

Not sure what I think of UNLV yet. Certainly very winnable but wouldn't garner much exposure and its certainly not drivable. Good flight options though. We don't recruit the Mountain West territory much. Not many alumni either throughout the conference footprint. Everyone seems to want the mountain west so playing a team from there helps

MarkyMark
04-11-2014, 02:04 PM
If UNLV wants to play I am all for it. I think we would be crazy to say no, Bison fans would flock to Vegas.

I don't think there are any FBS teams in our region that will play us. This is the closest FBS game that NDSU will find for the near future, we should lock it up now before the Iowa State game.

UNLV probably loves the idea of selling more tickets but only having to pay an FCS size payout to bring in an opponent.

IndyBison
04-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Good info. Plenty if alumni in the PAC 12 territory in general so others would take notice. Playing an Arizona school could be a great opportunity to connect with alumni and certainly a win would be noticed nationally. Not a ton of recruiting done there but we seem to snag a few kids out of Arizona. Would be a tough game

Not sure what I think of UNLV yet. Certainly very winnable but wouldn't garner much exposure and its certainly not drivable. Good flight options though. We don't recruit the Mountain West territory much. Not many alumni either throughout the conference footprint. Everyone seems to want the mountain west so playing a team from there helps

That map is a little misleading. Since the counties out west are much larger it makes it appear there are more alumni there. Most of the metro counties throughout the country are in the 151+. I wonder if there are more alumni in the Pac 12 footprint compared to B1G (outside of Minnesota).

SDbison
04-11-2014, 02:15 PM
UNLV.........Yes! The Bison Nation takeover of Vegas would be Epic.

MNLonghorn10
04-11-2014, 02:20 PM

Unfortunately many of us wouldn't make it to the game..but would be a good showcase for our future mountain west brothers

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

westnodak93bison
04-11-2014, 02:52 PM

In all honesty a UNLV game doesn't excite me. Crap opponent in a non football town. May as well play someone in NYC. No college atmosphere at all.
I'd probably go but meh.

ZHerd
04-11-2014, 03:27 PM
In all honesty a UNLV game doesn't excite me. Crap opponent in a non football town. May as well play someone in NYC. No college atmosphere at all.
I'd probably go but meh.

I somewhat agree with you here but I would still enjoy seeing us play them. If we are only going to play one FBS game and want to venture out of our area I would love to see us schedule a PAC-12 or SEC game. I wouldn't mind seeing us play two FBS games though with one being a smaller conference team such as unlv. Imo the fears of getting beat up from two such games are very exageratted. Many FBS teams would probably leave the game more dinged up than us.

Bison bison
04-11-2014, 04:09 PM
In all honesty a UNLV game doesn't excite me. Crap opponent in a non football town. May as well play someone in NYC.

New York City!?!

Thanks a lot.

I almost spit out my Pace Picante Sauce.

gumby013
04-11-2014, 05:06 PM
I'd probably go but meh.

Army is the only program around NYC with any sort of atmosphere. Even then, it is very spread out. The lots are very widely spaced inside the security perimeter of West Point. Mingling with the cadets around the stadium is fantastic though, and the views are fantastic.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/gumby013/965617_10202097836065162_1908363758_o.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/gumby013/1271990_10202097020324769_1131370004_o.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/gumby013/1270625_10202096260665778_671695622_o.jpg

mnriverbison
04-14-2014, 05:38 PM
I'd probably go but meh.

I for sure understand those who will miss the traditional gameday atmosphere at a non-traditional place like UNLV or even Army (for NYC) but for other reasons I'd happily attend either. Fun cities for a weekend. Hell, come to think of it I'd love Navy or even Air Force as well. We have a traditional gameday atmosphere in Fargo now, so I am willing to trade it for a cool place to visit.