PDA

View Full Version : 5 Minot State players arrested; Cop knocked out

JustinTyem
09-01-2013, 07:32 AM
MINOT, N.D. (AP) - Four Minot State University football players have been arrested on misdemeanor drug charges and a fifth player has been charged with attempted murder for allegedly knocking a police officer unconscious during a fight while trying to get away.

Police Capt. John Klug told KXMC-TV that officers hurt Friday night were responding to a report of suspected drug use happening in a vehicle parked off-campus in the northwestern North Dakota city.

Klug says linebacker Jesse Ili tried fleeing and brawled with officers when they caught up to him. He says Ili, who played last season for Division I Fresno State University before transferring to Division II Minot State, knocked one officer unconscious and inflicted minor injuries on the other. They are both recovering.

Minot State has suspended the five players.

onbison09
09-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Murder? Wouldn't manslaughter be more appropriate?

Bisonguy
09-01-2013, 05:20 PM

How would you define attempted manslaughter? An accident that didn't result in the death of anyone?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

loudsilverado
09-01-2013, 05:27 PM
How is knocking someone out attempted murder? Police State...

BisonNation11
09-01-2013, 05:36 PM

Maybe he verbally threatened to kill him??? :hide:

Bisonguy
09-01-2013, 05:41 PM
How is knocking someone out attempted murder? Police State...

Ya think? Good thing it was over a really heinous crime, like a couple kids smoking some pot.

aces1180
09-01-2013, 06:39 PM
The question now is how does Portly blame this on NDSU?

onbison09
09-01-2013, 06:40 PM
How would you define attempted manslaughter? An accident that didn't result in the death of anyone?

Good point. Still seems a bit much

Tatanka
09-01-2013, 06:53 PM
The herald is working on an editorial as we speak I'm sure.

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

loudsilverado
09-01-2013, 08:10 PM
My opinion, of course. The problem is that the legal system relies on a $15/hour policeman to determine what they thought you did wrong, so they write the ticket/police report. The states attorney then determines if that is right? I always think it's kind of like instant replay in football after the officials have already made the call. The replay guy needs absolute evidence to reverse the call on the field....ridiculous. Oh, I think police in Dickinson are now at $20/hr...

WYOBISONMAN
09-01-2013, 08:34 PM
I agree......attempted murder is ridiculous. Just the Minot cops and prosecutors being assholes.

Bisonguy
09-01-2013, 11:46 PM
My opinion, of course. The problem is that the legal system relies on a $15/hour policeman to determine what they thought you did wrong, so they write the ticket/police report. The states attorney then determines if that is right? I always think it's kind of like instant replay in football after the officials have already made the call. The replay guy needs absolute evidence to reverse the call on the field....ridiculous. Oh, I think police in Dickinson are now at $20/hr...

Dunno about Minot cops, but Fargo starts out at almost $24 and maxes at a little over $30/hr. for patrol officers. They also get plenty of vacation and sick leave and decent benefits.

IIRC, some states allow manslaughter and some forms of assault against the police to be charged as higher crimes than if they were committed against ordinary citizens.

loudsilverado
09-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Dunno about Minot cops, but Fargo starts out at almost $24 and maxes at a little over $30/hr. for patrol officers. They also get plenty of vacation and sick leave and decent benefits.

IIRC, some states allow manslaughter and some forms of assault against the police to be charged as higher crimes than if they were committed against ordinary citizen

$24 = $49,920 per year for a fresh out of school young gun. Those guys are the worst. The 4mph over the limit cops that think you have a cocaine lab in your car etc.......

MAKBison
09-02-2013, 12:02 AM
You hit a cop you get the max charge the state can get away with....nothing new here.
Not knowing nay facts about this what so ever, the charge will be reduced to felony assault or FA on a law enforcement officer if ND has such a law.

Good point. Still seems a bit much

MAKBison
09-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Still you do not hit the cops!

Ya think? Good thing it was over a really heinous crime, like a couple kids smoking some pot.

Bisonguy
09-02-2013, 12:18 AM
$24 = $49,920 per year for a fresh out of school young gun. Those guys are the worst. The 4mph over the limit cops that think you have a cocaine lab in your car etc.......

Chea, I had 4 FPD squad cars "required" to pull me over for running a yellow light a few years back. I was alone in my car and pulled over as soon as hr hit his lights, but I guess I must be intimidating or something. Knowing that in Fargo the law states that you have to be in the intersection when the light turns green for cross-traffic, they ended up letting me go.

A1pigskin
09-02-2013, 02:44 AM
These players should know better than to attack a police officer.

td577
09-02-2013, 03:29 AM
Chea, I had 4 FPD squad cars "required" to pull me over for running a yellow light a few years back. I was alone in my car and pulled over as soon as hr hit his lights, but I guess I must be intimidating or something. Knowing that in Fargo the law states that you have to be in the intersection when the light turns green for cross-traffic, they ended up letting me go.

I am waiting for the day they decide to take the delay off the lights. That would completely stop people from pushing the yellow. It would also make for about a week of very interesting intersections. A lawn chair, some refreshments, and maybe the corner of 25th and 13th to be entertained for a few hours.

As far as the Minot situation, you can't hit a cop. No matter how stupid a situation gets or even how stupid a cop gets, no one gets any kind of benefit of the doubt if you hit a cop. Whether that is right or wrong is really a non-issue, in today's society there is less than zero tolerance for hitting a cop.

moparman
09-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Bashing the cops head into the concrete repeatedly is a grey area. :facepalm:

Bison bison
09-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Still you do not hit the cops!

There is a lengthy legal precedent, your honor, going back to 1789, whereby a defendant can claim self-defense against an agent of the government, if that act is deemed a defense against tyranny, a defense of liberty.

bisonaudit
09-03-2013, 07:38 PM
I am waiting for the day they decide to take the delay off the lights. That would completely stop people from pushing the yellow. It would also make for about a week of very interesting intersections. A lawn chair, some refreshments, and maybe the corner of 25th and 13th to be entertained for a few hours.

Insert traffic circle for instant entertainment.

gotts
09-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Insert traffic circle for instant entertainment.

Don't forget the zipper merge prior.

bisonaudit
09-03-2013, 07:45 PM
There is a lengthy legal precedent, your honor, going back to 1789, whereby a defendant can claim self-defense against an agent of the government, if that act is deemed a defense against tyranny, a defense of liberty.

So a handful of college football players in Minot, ND are re-fighting the Whiskey Rebellion now?

td577
09-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Don't forget the zipper merge prior.

Hey, I am a fan of the zipper merge. Of course I am the only one doing it a lot of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

tjbison
09-03-2013, 11:30 PM
didn't he beat him unconscious?

and keep going?

can you imagine if this happened in Fargo

Tatanka
09-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Still waiting for outrage from "unbiased" porterhouse

Rockbear99
09-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Hey, I am a fan of the zipper merge. Of course I am the only one doing it a lot of the time.

I got your zipper merge right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzRuKnb2uuY

aces1180
09-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Still waiting for outrage from "unbiased" porterhouse

He had a post about it on Sunday I think...College athletes are the devil, blah, blah, blah...

CAS4127
09-04-2013, 01:32 AM
He had a post about it on Sunday I think...College athletes are the devil, blah, blah, blah...

Of course they are--he never played a sport his entire life--just look at the guy.

Wait, don't look--you get the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

MAKBison
09-06-2013, 05:47 AM
Hay, would love to see a bit of that, but I think those concepts are dead. Today you are better off letting the cop kick the shit out of you and then claiming excessive force.