PDA

View Full Version : What do we know about Ferris State?

thebootfitter
09-01-2013, 05:47 AM
I, for one, don't think we can afford to overlook any opponent on our schedule. And I don't believe the coaches will either. The players are mature, but there is still some risk that they have a let down game after the intensity of this big win.

So... What do we know about our next opponent? Do we know who their better players are? Do they have any real threats that could cause problems if not contained? Any players who were good enough to play DI but were "snubbed" and have a point to prove? Any visitors from Ferris State lurking on the boards?

MNLonghorn10
09-01-2013, 05:54 AM
I think they run a gimmick offense that never works against a D like NDSU.

The banner unveiling will be sweet...other than that, yea.

SamsRams
09-01-2013, 07:42 AM
52-10 Ferris State, that is what I know

Why do I know this, they had all fall camp to prep for this game as this is their first game. Yes I understand the poor 3rd quarter in KSU game was due to the team looking ahead to Ferris, but they still have a head start on prepping for this game

reformedUNDfan
09-01-2013, 08:15 AM
couple transfers from michigan

WYOBISONMAN
09-01-2013, 12:09 PM
The dome will be a slaughterhouse on Saturday. Most of the intensity will revolve around the issue of whether or not it will be warm enough to produce good numbers of scantily clad female tailgaters.....

admin
09-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Basic offense: Veer (they pass 20 times a game though) and their QB is a player
Basic defense: 4-3

7-4 last year, beat Grand Valley 40-28.

http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/sports/fball/2013-14/prospectus13

A1pigskin
09-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Where was the "Ferris" Wheel invented?

Rockbear99
09-01-2013, 02:07 PM
The original Ferris Wheel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferris_Wheel) was designed and constructed by George Washington Gale Ferris, Jr. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Gale_Ferris,_Jr.) as a landmark for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_Columbian_Exposition) in Chicago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago).

A1pigskin
09-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Could there be a link between Ferris Buhler and Ferris State?

MAKBison
09-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Anyone seen them play...Are they at least physical team?

MAKBison
09-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Ferris Buhler is an original movie about A high school wise guy is determined to have a day off from school, despite of what the principal thinks of that.

Director: John Hughes
Writer: John Hughes
Stars: Matthew Broderick, Alan Ruck, Mia Sara :biggrin:

Bison 4 Life
09-01-2013, 02:22 PM
I'll watch the 1st quarter then head on over the Memorial Stadium for KU/USD. Borrowing a line from elsewhere, that'll be like two midgets in a dunking contest.

td577
09-01-2013, 03:41 PM
I think the starters will come in and take care of business for a quarter and a half putting the Bison up 21-0. Then we get to see a lot of the guys deeper on the depth chart for longer stretches. Lang will get a lot of carries. It will be pretty straight forward. Run on first and second down and only throw on third down, if needed. This is a great opportunity to work on your base offense. They won't get cute and will play Bison football. There is always the mistake factor and a shutout that will keep the team focused on what is in front of them.

devin45k
09-01-2013, 04:30 PM
We have to get our hospital beds ready for sure!

BisoninNWMN
09-01-2013, 04:32 PM
The Bison are a mature , experienced team.

Ferris State is going to get their asses handed to them.

Great game for the 2nds and 3rds to get some playing time.

onbison09
09-01-2013, 04:35 PM
At least we get to watch the veer

BisonHorns
09-01-2013, 05:03 PM
I say we completely throw the game and let Ferris shut us out. Let the FBS wonder if there really is a difference between all of the levels, plus future opponents don't get good looks at our good stuff. Non conference game... let it go.

BisonTeacher
09-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Ferris Buhler is an original movie

Ferris' state?

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS6f1MKpLGM

Tatanka
09-01-2013, 07:19 PM
All I know is Ferris State has more guts than Montana State.

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

BisonTeacher
09-01-2013, 07:20 PM

Well said!!!!

CaBisonFan
09-01-2013, 09:12 PM
We need to show respect to Ferris State...both here...and anywhere else on thee internets.

loudsilverado
09-01-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm glad they are coming, and I respect that they are. We were in their situation on Friday and in 2003 as a DII going into WaGriz. Hopefully everyone treats the team and fans accordingly.

GOBISON123
09-01-2013, 09:32 PM
I look forward to seeing Levon Perry

ThunderDan
09-01-2013, 09:35 PM
We know they are staying at the Days Inn in Moorhead and leaving the hotel one hour before kickoff....I think that tells us all we need to know.

td577
09-01-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm glad they are coming, and I respect that they are. We were in their situation on Friday and in 2003 as a DII going into WaGriz. Hopefully everyone treats the team and fans accordingly.

I don't expect them to lay down. I also don't expect the Bison players or fans to be anything less than professional going into this weekend. One game at a time and the other team still puts 11 guys out there.

Twice in the last two years we have gotten beat by probably inferior teams. I don't even think they were taken lightly. Sometimes the perfect storm happens and you don't know where it is going to come from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

loudsilverado
09-01-2013, 09:36 PM
some discussion:

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?58806-What-would-be-the-bigger-upset

pwbnd
09-01-2013, 09:39 PM

Excellent post. Some folks on here complain when FBS team's fans show NDSU no respect because we're FCS and then do the same exact thing when we host a DII team. I was thinking the same thing as loudsilverado...about us going to Montana in 2003...any given saturday.

MNLonghorn10
09-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Let's kick their asses!

Unfortunately there will be a let down. Rams is correct..

Dawgz 52

Your ndsu bison 10

HerdBot
09-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Respect these guys. They are way better than Prairie View or Valpo. They are fully funded and play in a good conference. And you know damn we'll this is their superbowl

Tony Almeida
09-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Respect these guys. They are way better than Prairie View or Valpo. They are fully funded and play in a good conference. And you know damn we'll this is their superbowl

Well said! Coach Bohl will have those boys ready...hopefully.

tony
09-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Checked some box scores. They ran for over 450 yards against Grand Valley State and pass more than you'd expect a veer team to do. I've said it before: Their QB is very good.

Their D is a big unknown but I'd imagine that our big fellas might match up pretty well - the Rams seemed to get better throughout the K-State game.

BadlandsBison
09-02-2013, 02:10 AM
Checked some box scores. They ran for over 450 yards against Grand Valley State and pass more than you'd expect a veer team to do. I've said it before: Their QB is very good.

Their D is a big unknown but I'd imagine that our big fellas might match up pretty well - the Rams seemed to get better throughout the K-State game.

I'm guessing their D will log jam the line of scrimmage. Won't be surprised if we have a slow start, especially on offense.

I'm concerned about injuries. I could see them using cut blocks to try and slow the defense

A1pigskin
09-02-2013, 02:40 AM
Sounds like their QB is a good leader and a threat.

GOBISON123
09-02-2013, 02:41 AM
Ferris Bull Doggy Dogg you is going dowwn.

On a serious note, i think, their roster has some players who transferred from Michigan State Spartans and Michigan Wolverines.

devin45k
09-02-2013, 03:14 AM
Can't wait for Korey Ringer to be lit up by our defense.

17>1
09-02-2013, 03:53 AM
Excellent post. Some folks on here complain when FBS team's fans show NDSU no respect because we're FCS and then do the same exact thing when we host a DII team. I was thinking the same thing as loudsilverado...about us going to Montana in 2003...any given saturday.

Those are the people that complain when opposing FBS fans come to OUR board and show us no respect. I think it's ok to complain when that happens. If we go to the Ferris fan forum and showed them no respect, that would be uncalled for. On our own board, we can act however we want. That's just my opinion though. I'm not going to rip on a Ferris fan here but my confidence level in the Bison is pretty high and I think we roll these guys big time, D2 or not. We're at home, coming off beating the Big12 champs, and our coaches will not allow a letdown.

Scooter1
09-02-2013, 04:25 AM

I also saw the GVSU stats and thought wow that's impressive. Then I checked GVSU stats on defense... ranked 145 in d2 in total defense giving up an average of 458 ypg. They gave up 226 on run and 232 in the air... 31.55 ppg.

MSUM defense was ranked 134. Take the GVSU game with a grain of salt.

Last season Ferris St was ranked 101 in total D giving up 387 ypg. 102 in scoring D at 30.27

My point is that statistically, there is no scenario where Ferris St is in this game at the end. Not being a Homer, just running the numbers.

Kansas St, SHSU, GSU, SDSU, IndianaSt, Wofford, UNI, YSU....FERRIS ST. (one of these teams is not like the others...even a kid watching sesame street can figure out this one.)

MAKBison
09-02-2013, 04:47 AM
This is true===Gotta give them some props for showing up

MNLonghorn10
09-02-2013, 04:54 AM
I also saw the GVSU stats and thought wow that's impressive. Then I checked GVSU stats on defense... ranked 145 in d2 in total defense giving up an average of 458 ypg. They gave up 226 on run and 232 in the air... 31.55 ppg.

Last season Ferris St was ranked 101 in total D giving up 387 ypg. 102 in scoring D at 30.27

My point is that statistically, there is no scenario where Ferris St is in this game at the end. Not being a Homer, just running the numbers.

Kansas St, SHSU, GSU, SDSU, IndianaSt, Wofford, UNI, YSU....FERRIS ST. (one of these teams is not like the others...even a kid watching sesame street can figure out this one.)
Wow.

and the NSIC is arguably one of the best D2 conferences too.

BisoninNWMN
09-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the stats.

Bison roll this team. Let them crowd the box to stop the run. The Bison O-line will dominate this team.

Geez...this is an ave D2 team at best.

A1pigskin
09-02-2013, 03:12 PM

If this is the case then I wouldn't doubt seeing many backups playing most of the game.

tony
09-04-2013, 05:20 PM
http://www.mlive.com/smallcolleges/grandrapids/index.ssf/2013/09/ferris_state_depth_chart_new_f.html

(http://www.mlive.com/smallcolleges/grandrapids/index.ssf/2013/09/ferris_state_depth_chart_new_f.html)There's the two-deep. Their prospectus said they run the veer but Bohl was talking about multiple offensive sets. Big QB, big offensive line. All-new linebackers though.

Familiar name at LT. He was part of the Bison signing class of 2008 so he must be a sixth-year senior.

About the LBs:

Grako - JUCO transfer... originally committed to Harvard.
Porter - JUCO transfer on the same team as KSU's QB Waters.
Robinson - transfer from Michigan where he played safety. Ferris State has him listed as 6-5 but Michigan list him at 6-2.

So they have all new LBs but they're all transfers and two of them were starters on their team last year.

jarhead
09-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Here's an article showcasing Marvin Robinson. He sounds like the real deal and it sounds like the coach is intent on making the program relevant.
http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/201306257i5y0d

devin45k
09-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Here's an article showcasing Marvin Robinson. He sounds like the real deal and it sounds like the coach is intent on making the program relevant.

You can't rely on one player to make a program relevant.

jarhead
09-04-2013, 08:38 PM
C. J. Moseley likes taking cold showers and Nick Saban likes spaghetti therefore Nick Saban wants all his players to eat spaghetti only while taking cold
showers. Uh!

MN_BISON
09-04-2013, 08:59 PM

I guess my question would be if he's so damn good why isn't he still at Michigan?

gotts
09-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Let's kick their asses!

Unfortunately there will be a let down. Rams is correct..

Dawgz 52

Your ndsu bison 10

I've got a guy that's laying me NDSU +41.5... that means I should definitely take Ferris and give the points, right?

td577
09-04-2013, 11:01 PM
I've got a guy that's laying me NDSU +41.5... that means I should definitely take Ferris and give the points, right?

Actually, that is a tough one. I think if the starters take care of business like they are supposed to, it will be 21-0 by the middle of the second quarter and they are done for the day. Can they hang another 21-0 in 2 1/2 quarters with backups?

Professor Chaos
09-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Actually, that is a tough one. I think if the starters take care of business like they are supposed to, it will be 21-0 by the middle of the second quarter and they are done for the day. Can they hang another 21-0 in 2 1/2 quarters with backups?
I don't know, they did go 7-4 last year so maybe.

I think you missed the gag ;)

A1pigskin
09-05-2013, 12:06 AM
The college offers some decent academic programs.

NDSUBowler
09-05-2013, 12:13 AM
NDSU as 41.5 underdogs?!

BOOK BOOK BOOK!

td577
09-05-2013, 12:14 AM
NDSU as 41.5 underdogs?!

BOOK BOOK BOOK!

I never know which way it goes. This is exactly why I don't bet on anything.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

1st&TennBison
09-05-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote from the article " The 6-2, 202-pound Robinson made nine tackles in 12 contests as a safety during the 2012 campaign under head coach Brady Hoke." A player that only makes nine tackles in twelve games does not sound like the way to make a program relevant. Now true, he might have been a backup, but if that is so then he is unproven and there is no reason to make an article about him. You make articles like that about players who join your team from Michigan who lead the team in tackles or something along those lines. Gees, nine tackles and they think he is a godsend, we have players that get that every game/ game and a half.

gumby013
09-05-2013, 02:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Eu4cRelvR-Q

Never seen a coach more terrified in an interview when asked about an opponent.

GradBison
09-05-2013, 02:34 AM
some discussion:

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?58806-What-would-be-the-bigger-upset

For the love of all that's holly, nobody go there and troll their board.

jarhead
09-05-2013, 02:57 AM
In addition to being listed among the top linebacker prospects coming out of high school, Robinson also was tabbed as the nation's 18th-best safety and the number 38 player overall in the state of Florida by Rivals.com. A Prep Star All-American, he earned first team all-state honors as a senior and was a three-time all-county, all-district and all-area choice.

Tack the above onto the recruiting profile of any player we have ever recruited to NDSU and we would all be dancing in the streets. I can't blame their
coach for being excited to add him to their roster. The fact that he hasn't accumulated great stats probably means he shouldn't have been rated 4*s out
of high school but we don't know that. Anybody who follows football knows the Rich Rod era at Michigan was a shitshow and this kid may have gotten lost
in the mud or the transition to a new system under Hoke. A couple of posters to this thread have tried to encourage a show of respect for Ferris State and
I agree. Last year I watched an average Indiana State team embarrass a Bison team that looked like they were sleep walking. A few years ago it was the
Bunnies sending us home. I don't expect us to lose this week, but I know that Ferris will give it everything they've got.

devin45k
09-05-2013, 03:08 AM
I give em props for being an average to slightly above average team in Division 2. The biggest downfall is that they have a bad defense at the division 2 level. I don't see them upsetting us unless we have both a massive meltdown on both offense and defense.

GOBISON123
09-05-2013, 03:11 AM
Ferris Bull Doggy Dowg

https://twitter.com/T_Hockemeyer/status/374641475524366336/photo/1

BisonFan02
09-05-2013, 04:33 AM

That may be true, but at least they have the balls to make the trip. Kudos to their program for jumping at the opportunity.

Tatanka
09-05-2013, 12:03 PM
That may be true, but at least they have the balls to make the trip. Kudos to their program for jumping at the opportunity.

this. Ferris State > Montana State

MNLonghorn10
09-05-2013, 01:22 PM

Thanks..I'm really happy to be here

KTF
09-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Not sure he is scared but realizes that the mountain is too big and is being realistic. I envision Crockett and Ojuri both have long runs (50-60 yds plus) for TD's. Running up the middle is not going to work. The only option is to throw or hope the D doesn't string the option plays out and they can move the ball that way... How is their QB at passing?

BisonKnight
09-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Can't wait any longer to see the banner rise up.

bisonlax44
09-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Just to sum up a couple ongoing topics here:

1) Their QB is a player. He doesn't have lightning speed, but runs the read option very well and gets a LOT of YAC. He runs through people, kind of like Brock near the end zone.
2) They play the antiquated veer offense that most high schools use to run, only added a wrinkle to it where they drop the QB into shotgun and spread the defense out. Their receivers seem to have decent skill if they gain a couple steps, though I was not impressed with their passing game... see a lot of Christian Ponder in his throwing mechanics (a lot of throws off balance and floated). They do run the ball well though, and are returning all of their major contributors from last year's school record setting campaign so it could be fun to see how that all plays out against a top-notch run defense.
3) Props to their coaching staff and team for taking on a challenge like this to gain much needed experience when greatly out matched. They appear to have their program turned around and heading the right direction (though that's not really difficult when you look at their recent records and rankings... tough to see from such a long-standing program).
4) Don't worry about telling the wife you're going to the game, you can be home by halftime with the Bison leading comfortably.

coloradobison
09-05-2013, 05:27 PM
This guy reminds me of

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AaoPbpzgw3Q/SuZgkUVHT1I/AAAAAAAAA2o/nDIbv2Lda-k/s400/toby.jpg

Bisonator98
09-05-2013, 05:52 PM

1) Their QB is a player. He doesn't have lightning speed, but runs the read option very well and gets a LOT of YAC. He runs through people, kind of like Brock near the end zone.

What? He passes it to himself? Can't they get him some receivers? :rofl:

TransAmBison
09-05-2013, 07:55 PM

2) They play the antiquated veer offense that most high schools use to run, only added a wrinkle to it where they drop the QB into shotgun and spread the defense out. Their receivers seem to have decent skill if they gain a couple steps, though I was not impressed with their passing game... see a lot of Christian Ponder in his throwing mechanics (a lot of throws off balance and floated). They do run the ball well though, and are returning all of their major contributors from last year's school record setting campaign so it could be fun to see how that all plays out against a top-notch run defense.
3) Props to their coaching staff and team for taking on a challenge like this to gain much needed experience when greatly out matched. They appear to have their program turned around and heading the right direction (though that's not really difficult when you look at their recent records and rankings... tough to see from such a long-standing program).
4) Don't worry about telling the wife you're going to the game, you can be home by halftime with the Bison leading comfortably.Seven posts in just under 7 years. Slow down...give a chance to respond before you rattle off the next one will ya! :D

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Did I hear the coach right, "I am tring to tamper their enthusiasm a bit?"

Wouldn't you want your boys to run with said enthusiasm?

KTF
09-05-2013, 08:32 PM

I heard that too and was wondering the same thing.

Scooter1
09-05-2013, 11:31 PM

How do you tamper enthusiasm? You can try to temper enthusiasm.

There is a difference between NDSU believing they can go into KSU and have a shot at the end and Ferris St truly believing they will be in this game on Saturday. Anyone can have stuff cross their lips but if you don't have past accomplishments to reinforce the stated opinion... it is just talk. At least they are willing to show up and give us their best shot...I don't think they truly believe they can win, but they have more guts than Montana St.

CAS4127
09-05-2013, 11:33 PM

I think it was in the general context of how fall practice was going--not specific to this game.

tjbison
09-06-2013, 12:02 AM
I think it was in the general context of how fall practice was going--not specific to this game.

not sure, if their schedule is truly arriving at 3 for a 4 pm kickoff, I would say he doesn't like hype/enthusiasm

tony
09-06-2013, 12:39 AM

4) Don't worry about telling the wife you're going to the game, you can be home by halftime with the Bison leading comfortably.

That's what I've been reading too (i.e. their QB is an outstanding athlete.) Georgia Southern sure gave NDSU a very hard time with the option, mostly because their QB was so hard to bring down, and Ferris State's QB is a big, strong runner too.

Disclaimer: I don't see a transfer-laden defense having much success stopping NDSU's offense and don't imagine that any offense will have much success running against NDSU's defense.

Jdubs21
09-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Anyone have any extra tix....my friend wants to take his son to a game. Everyone on creigslist wants way to much

onbison09
09-06-2013, 03:44 AM
5dimes has the line at 40 (not sure how accurate they normally are)

gumby013
09-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Save Ferris is on their way.

https://twitter.com/FerrisFootball/status/376012502154235904

Strangely, I'm not seeing their plane on any of the flight tracking sites. I hope they remembered to book one.

devin45k
09-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Save Ferris is on their way.

https://twitter.com/FerrisFootball/status/376012502154235904

Strangely, I'm not seeing their plane on any of the flight tracking sites. I hope they remembered to book one.

Stealth mode

Do you use flightradar24.com

gumby013
09-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Stealth mode

Do you use flightradar24.com

That and flightaware.com are my main two.

devin45k
09-06-2013, 05:32 PM
That and flightaware.com are my main two.

Do they fly out of grand rapids?

gumby013
09-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Do they fly out of grand rapids?

Yes. And I'm not seeing any charters between there and Fargo. Maybe the charter company is just taking their sweet time filing the flight plan.

devin45k
09-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Yes. And I'm not seeing any charters between there and Fargo. Maybe the charter company is just taking their sweet time filing the flight plan.

All i see are connections...maybe they aren't even going to show up ;)

TransAmBison
09-06-2013, 05:36 PM
All i see are connections...maybe they aren't even going to show up ;)Ahhh, the old Montana St trick. Works every time. They do that in the playoffs a lot.

tony
09-06-2013, 05:38 PM

It's going to be just like Red Dawn.

gumby013
09-06-2013, 05:39 PM
It's going to be just like Red Dawn.

Original or remake?

gumby013
09-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Flight tracking is now up.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8650/history/20130906/2130Z/KGRR/KFAR

gumby013
09-06-2013, 08:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btHha10LQ3I

CAS4127
09-06-2013, 08:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btHha10LQ3I

QB: Atmoshere won't affect us once we get going--"won't even hear the noise".

Well, I beg to differ!! Let's give it to him BVer's!!!

BisonFan02
09-06-2013, 08:14 PM

Sweep the leg!

BisonNation11
09-06-2013, 08:15 PM

I think he was correct in saying this. Once the Bison defense gets going, no noise will be needed. Plus they won't be on the field much.

cbline
09-06-2013, 08:30 PM

We shall see, of course. Their home field of 6,200 versus a sold-out Fargo Dome of 19,000 at 100+ decibels. Seems like a bit of a mismatch.

TransAmBison
09-06-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm guessing they will be able to hear just fine for most of the game.

KTF
09-06-2013, 08:36 PM
If NDSU wins the coin toss do they defer or recieve? I say recieve, put some points on the board and let them play from behind.

Boy
09-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Funny. I seem to remember a bunch of GSU fans saying the noise wouldn't bother them either in their first playoff loss here. Correct me if I a wrong but didn't their coach come out in the presser after that game and say that you can never fully prepare yourself for what the noise is like in the 'dome?

BisonNation11
09-06-2013, 09:11 PM
If NDSU wins the coin toss do they defer or recieve? I say recieve, put some points on the board and let them play from behind.

Bohl will defer. Always has, always will. The heart and soul of this team is the defense. Set the tone and let the other team know that it is going to be a long, physical day. Plus, I really like receiving the ball in the 2nd half and seeing if the adjustments at half time worked or if they need to be changed more. Plus, the team seems to find its legs in the 2nd half so coming out and physically dominating on offense can really set the tone for the 2nd half.

Bison03
09-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't think they have any idea what to expect. The first time they run a play, the first third down; it's like nothing they have ever experienced before. I'm glad they get to play us. They can walk out of here knowing that the competition they face the rest of the year won't be anywhere close to what they were up against. But until that happens, lets go out there and crush 'em!!

Ferris state grad
09-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Regardless of how badly they get beat tomorrow this will help Ferris State over the course of the season. I imagine everyone they play the remainder of the season will seem incredibly slow after
playing NDSU. The hardest thing for them to get used to will be the NDSU defensive speed. Eight or 9 guys will be swarming the ball carrier. That is something that is very hard to simulate in practice.

I know Tom Izzo the Michigan State basketball coach plays his 5 starters against 8 reserve players when scrimmaging in practice if they are going to play a fast team. I imagine it will seem to Ferris State tomorrow like they are playing against 16 guys instead of 11. Not to mention the dome noise but that's a whole different topic.

What irritates me tremendously about my school is everything is hockey,hockey,hockey at the expense of all their other programs. They have the potential to be a FCS school in football and a mid major in basketball if they would put some money into those programs. It is a school of 15,000 (bigger than Notre Dame) with an excellent academic program and a beautiful
campus out in the country on the west side of the state. Every year the basketball team plays against Division I schools early in the year and does reasonably well-usually stay within 15 points or so.

I never understood why in 1980 or so they decided to go balls out with only hockey. It is an expensive sport and who the hell watches college hockey except a few diehards in the Northern states ? They aren't making any money really. If they had actual brains for brains instead of fecal matter for brains they would have went independent mid major in basketball. It is a lot easier to outfit 15 guys for hoops as opposed to 30 guys for hockey. They are close to Grand Rapids,Lansing,Flint not too far from Detroit,Chicago and Indiana. They would have had a ton of high school kids in those areas to recruit. Plus name Big 10 programs and MAC programs nearby to compete against on the floor. Their travel expenses wouldn't have been too bad playing mostly nearby schools.

OK - I'm done ranting. I like seeing a school like NDSU do well as they progress up the ranks. I hope maybe something kicks in at Ferris State and they try to do the same thing in
football and/or basketball.
I am thinking NDSU is going to have a tough time getting FBS schools to play them now after beating KSU. Think NDSU may be in the Big 12 one day ?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-06-2013, 09:58 PM
You heard it. "Biggest game of my life."

They will be jacked up to play. Hope our crowd and players are as jacked up as well.

I would like to see us throttle them early so I can watch the Bunnies take it to the UN_ies.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Regardless of how badly they get beat tomorrow this will help Ferris State over the course of the season. I imagine everyone they play the remainder of the season will seem incredibly slow after
playing NDSU. The hardest thing for them to get used to will be the NDSU defensive speed. Eight or 9 guys will be swarming the ball carrier. That is something that is very hard to simulate in practice.

I know Tom Izzo the Michigan State basketball coach plays his 5 starters against 8 reserve players when scrimmaging in practice if they are going to play a fast team. I imagine it will seem to Ferris State tomorrow like they are playing against 16 guys instead of 11. Not to mention the dome noise but that's a whole different topic.

What irritates me tremendously about my school is everything is hockey,hockey,hockey at the expense of all their other programs. They have the potential to be a FCS school in football and a mid major in basketball if they would put some money into those programs. It is a school of 15,000 (bigger than Notre Dame) with an excellent academic program and a beautiful
campus out in the country on the west side of the state. Every year the basketball team plays against Division I schools early in the year and does reasonably well-usually stay within 15 points or so.

I never understood why in 1980 or so they decided to go balls out with only hockey. It is an expensive sport and who the hell watches college hockey except a few diehards in the Northern states ? They aren't making any money really. If they had actual brains for brains instead of fecal matter for brains they would have went independent mid major in basketball. It is a lot easier to outfit 15 guys for hoops as opposed to 30 guys for hockey. They are close to Grand Rapids,Lansing,Flint not too far from Detroit,Chicago and Indiana. They would have had a ton of high school kids in those areas to recruit. Plus name Big 10 programs and MAC programs nearby to compete against on the floor. Their travel expenses wouldn't have been too bad playing mostly nearby schools.

OK - I'm done ranting. I like seeing a school like NDSU do well as they progress up the ranks. I hope maybe something kicks in at Ferris State and they try to do the same thing in
I am thinking NDSU is going to have a tough time getting FBS schools to play them now after beating KSU. Think NDSU may be in the Big 12 one day ?

It would be nice, but not gonna happen.

devin45k
09-07-2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks for giving us an insight on your college.

That's the exact reason that I am glad NDSU doesn't have a hockey team.

SomeBeach
09-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Regardless of how badly they get beat tomorrow this will help Ferris State over the course of the season. I imagine everyone they play the remainder of the season will seem incredibly slow after playing NDSU. The hardest thing for them to get used to will be the NDSU defensive speed. Eight or 9 guys will be swarming the ball carrier. That is something that is very hard to simulate in practice.... I am thinking NDSU is going to have a tough time getting FBS schools to play them now after beating KSU. Think NDSU may be in the Big 12 one day ?

Thanks for an intelligent and informative post about Ferris.... always appreciated when fans from opposing teams come forward with helpful perspectives rather than just mindless BS and chest thumping.

Hope your team and fans have a great experience in Fargo (though I also hope that you will be disappointed but not surprised by the final score).

BisonNeil
09-07-2013, 02:32 PM

You know, for a minute there I thought you were from Ferris State, now I know you are actually a butthockey fan from UN_ :D

Tatanka
09-07-2013, 02:53 PM
I agree that Ferris State won't hear the noise, they will FEEL the noise.

gumby013
09-07-2013, 03:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sDMbNKKMlo

gumby013
09-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Save Ferris doing their walkthrough. I wonder if the dome has a Taylor Swift smell.

https://twitter.com/ferrisathletics/status/376374146755608576

KC Bison
09-07-2013, 04:40 PM
I wondered if the "tamper their enthusiasm" meant that the coach was toning down ideas that players of his team that thought they were going to come in to Fargo and rip us a new one?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Gave my tickets to my dad, uncle, daughter, and niece. Kind of a grandpa and granddaughter thing. Hope the crowd is loud. Someone has to cheer extra loud as my dad and uncle are too old to do it well.

Tatanka
09-08-2013, 03:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sDMbNKKMlo

look at the lineup on 19th ave for tailgating. Impressive.

MNLonghorn10
09-08-2013, 03:52 PM

:rofl:

Not as impressive as the pre flight highlights. Bags being transferred from bus to plane, a small security check & stairs to walk from the tarmac onto the plane.

BlueBisonRock
09-08-2013, 04:08 PM

Didn't they fly in on Friday and stay overnight in Morehead?

Swift today?

MNLonghorn10
09-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Yea that was the Taylor Swift crowd.

Tatanka
09-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Yea that was the Taylor Swift crowd.

shhhhh. He's on a roll.

EDIT: oh shit that was me. :hide:

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Would have been classic if she would have sang her hit song "16" while wearing Brock's #16 Jersey.

BadlandsBison
09-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Would have been classic if she would have sang her hit song "16" while wearing Brock's #16 Jersey.

When you're 16 and he says he loves you, you're going to believe him.

Her newest single is "Horvath broke my heart and my bandwagon"