PDA

View Full Version : Pass Defense Concerns?

thebigund
08-31-2013, 04:12 PM
Your pass defense looked suspect at times. Williams got burned alot last night. He had his one pick and Olson sealed the game with one in an obvious passing situation but your pass defense looks alot worse than last season.

aces1180
08-31-2013, 04:13 PM
Your pass defense looked suspect at times. Williams got burned alot last night. He had his one pick and Olson sealed the game with one in an obvious passing situation but your pass defense looks alot worse than last season.

I'd worry about you run defense.

thebigund
08-31-2013, 04:15 PM
I'd worry about you run defense.
This is a legit question. KSU isn't exactly deep at WR and had their way with your secondary at times.

BisonNation11
08-31-2013, 04:16 PM

Williams and Heagle got burned on double moves. They both bit on the first move and paid the price. They were playing aggressive all night and that's how we play. I thought they did a great job containing everyone. You take those two plays away and K-State would have had jack crap for stats and points.

natstar1
08-31-2013, 04:17 PM
NDSU might have a had some sacks on designed QB runs, but I think their pass rush will be a lot better against lesser competition. You can't expect their DBs to cover forever.

aces1180
This is a legit question. KSU isn't exactly deep at WR and had their way with your secondary at times.

Did you even watch the game? MWill and Heagle had one bad play (they bit in the double-move). Otherwise, they pretty much made the plays they needed to makes.

HoopsBison
They had two big pass plays, one our blitz didnt get home and one Marcus got caught, its going to happen. Otherwise anything for the most part was contained. If you cant run the ball your going to have a hard time winning. Point was proven last night.

Now go watch the Valpo highlights or ice skate in your backyard.

Bisonguy
08-31-2013, 04:18 PM
That was a pretty solid passing game from KSU and NDSU made them one dimensional. Pretty standard Bison defensive performance.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

CAS4127
A UN? fan critiquing our defense?! Have seen it all now. Next will be UN_ would beat us because of our pass defense. Good effing God!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

TAILG8R
Yeah you're right, we only had two interceptions. Fire pass D, save season.

KC Bison
08-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Think the undies could get 100 yards against us.

westnodak93bison
08-31-2013, 04:24 PM
There pass protection was outstanding and their two receivers are studs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BisonNation11
08-31-2013, 04:25 PM

Better question would be how many QB's would they use to get to 100 yards?

BisManBison
08-31-2013, 04:27 PM
You are an idiot. Our defense forced them to become one dimensional. That's the goal of every DC worth a grain of salt. A team throwing on every down is going to make some plays especially with an experienced o-line. We struggled to get to Waters but that doesn't mean our pass d isn't as god as last year. Tell you what, you guys make the playoffs and throw on every play against us and see how that works out for ya. Retard....

HerdBot
08-31-2013, 04:27 PM
K state has scored 21 or less only 5 times in 3 years. That was a big time oline and the best receiver we've ever faced. Great effort

Big undies you can't be series. This is the Big 12 Champion and we held them to 21 points and had 2 picks. The oline has several nfl guys

CaBisonFan
08-31-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm not concerned about anything right now. We won a huge game on a huge stage. That is all.

Go home.

tjbison
08-31-2013, 04:34 PM

your awesome team allowed Valpo to score and your questioning our #1 ranked D??

344Johnson
08-31-2013, 04:40 PM

LOL you mean against a Big XII team...they were able to throw it deep a couple of times? No way!

HerdBot
08-31-2013, 04:43 PM
LOL you mean against a Big XII team...they were able to throw it deep a couple of times? No way!

Didn't Montana State put up 600 yards on those guys?

stevdock
08-31-2013, 04:45 PM
I think the question is legit. I also think we played a little more zone than we normally do last night to contain KSU's speed advantage. MWill's INT was in an obvious zone. I saw someone saying that Lockett will probably be one of the best WR's in the nation by seasons end and we contained him fairly well. I think the pass defense had more to do with our D-Line not being able to get to the QB like they normally do. They won't have that O-Line to have to get through the rest of the season.

thebigund
08-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Did you even watch the game? MWill and Heagle had one bad play (they bit in the double-move). Otherwise, they pretty much made the plays they needed to makes.
I did and saw Williams giving up catches all game long.

thebigund
08-31-2013, 04:57 PM
K state has scored 21 or less only 5 times in 3 years. That was a big time oline and the best receiver we've ever faced. Great effort

Big undies you can't be series. This is the Big 12 Champion and we held them to 21 points and had 2 picks. The oline has several nfl guys
I thought you played the 2013 KSU team? You make it sound like Klein was at QB and they had those 9 starters on d that graduated.

tjbison
08-31-2013, 05:01 PM
I thought you played the 2013 KSU team? You make it sound like Klein was at QB and they had those 9 starters on d that graduated.

what's undies FBS record?

thought so........worry about your own crap team with a Swiss cheese D

344Johnson
08-31-2013, 05:01 PM

What do those guys have to do with our defense doing pretty well in holding K-State to 21 points and intercepting them a couple of times? Tell ya what...we scored more than UND would have scored, and we held them to fewer points than UND would have..and the Bison won.

Too early to tell how good 2013 KSU is....but I'm not worried about our pass defense....not even remotely.

BadlandsBison
08-31-2013, 05:02 PM

:) I would like to talk about un_'s most recent fbs win. How did the _efense handle the passing game? How many fans traveled? Muss high fives? Moral toe to toes?

A1pigskin
08-31-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm sure any shortfalls will be worked on during practice.

CAS4127
08-31-2013, 05:08 PM
I think the question is legit. I also think we played a little more zone than we normally do last night to contain KSU's speed advantage. MWill's INT was in an obvious zone. I saw someone saying that Lockett will probably be one of the best WR's in the nation by seasons end and we contained him fairly well. I think the pass defense had more to do with our D-Line not being able to get to the QB like they normally do. They won't have that O-Line to have to get through the rest of the season.

THIS-->we faced one of the best pass-protection OLines in ALL of college football last night, plus we were missing an All-American in Perry. UN? and most other schools would not have the time to sit in pocket and have chance to make some if the long throws Waters did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Tatanka
08-31-2013, 05:09 PM
Excellent trolling as usual...

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

344Johnson
08-31-2013, 05:10 PM
:) I would like to talk about un_'s most recent fbs win. How did the _efense handle the passing game? How many fans traveled? Muss high fives? Moral toe to toes?

dont forget the recruiting chest bumps.

A1pigskin
08-31-2013, 05:10 PM
If anything it is going to improve the Bison Defense.

BadlandsBison
08-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Excellent trolling as usual...

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

He is feasting!

Nothing can diminish this great feeling of beating ksu in their own house. Huge win and a lifelong memory for me and other fans.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
08-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Come back on next week so we can give you shit about your run defense. Zener for 200+ yards

GOBISON123
08-31-2013, 05:36 PM

Marcus Williams stopped a huge pass towards the end zone to Lockett from turning into a touchdown and an interception.

CaBisonFan
08-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Marcus took the toughest assignment on every single down.

He learned that he had to play a little soft and allow some short and medium-range catches, against their outstanding receivers.

BisonNeil
08-31-2013, 07:53 PM

Not true, they returned three of their top four receivers from last year.

loudsilverado
08-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Zenner for 200 yards and 3 TD's next week easy.

MN_BISON
08-31-2013, 08:08 PM
Not true, they returned three of their top four receivers from last year.

Oh don't even bother BN, this dipshit is here because he has no real football to watch at his school so he feels he must come on this site and be a douche to somehow clense his soul for watching Bison football even though deep down he loves it. We know it and now he's finally coming to grips with it himself. You'll be fine, thebigun_, you will. The next step is wearing your Bison gear out in public and not just in your mother's basement although I would recommend taking her bra and underwear off before going outside, that still might cause you a few problems.

td577
08-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Marcus took the toughest assignment on every single down.

He learned that he had to play a little soft and allow some short and medium-range catches, against their outstanding receivers.

Actually, from my understanding, after the big play to Lockett, Marcus said he wanted to switch to press coverage. 2 receptions for 17 yards after that.

As far as other comments in this thread:

I expected a couple of big plays from them. That is their style of football. The way they win is to run the ball and open up over the top with the long ball a couple of times a game. They got their long ball, they didn't get their running game. Half an offense can't win on too many levels.

Hubert had 10 carries for 23 yards. One run for 17 yards. 9 carries were for 6 yards. This is from a guy who many expect to blow past 1000 yards this season. As a team, they had 3 carries for 45 yards. Then had 20 more for minus 4. I know QB sacks are counted against run totals, but that is still insane.

2 for 10 on 3rd downs. So when KSU desperately needed to complete a pass to move the chains, they couldn't do it. Pretty much seemed like NDSU locked down when they needed to.

KSU guessed right on 6 offensive plays all night and did something very positive with it. That is not how you win college football. They were thoroughly taken out behind the proverbial woodshed. I am not worried about the pass coverage as for the rest of the season, I do not think any other QB will get that amount of time to throw the ball. Every corner, at every level, will get burned occassionally. With Williams it is so infrequent, 99% of the time the team can absorb it without any problems. We will get into a conference schedule where you won't even hear his name for 5 weeks until someone makes the mistake of throwing his way.

If I was any other team at the FCS level, I would be taking note that NDSU predicates its success on mistake free football. They played a heavyweight, made some mistakes and still won. What does that mean for everyone else? They will savor the win and get back to work.

X-Factor
08-31-2013, 08:51 PM
Dear OP,

Your shenanigans are not welcome on this board. rep = - infinity

The Bison defense is BY FAR the best defense in FCS football, and quit possibly #1 all time FCS with the only remote contenders being the Delaware D from several years back and the very familiar 2012 Bison D. The Bison will be just fine in pass D this season, just you watch.

BisonTeacher
08-31-2013, 09:03 PM

Wow. You should be worrying about UN_ defense! Oh wait...they don't have one.

17>1
08-31-2013, 10:17 PM
KSU fan sitting in front of us turned around and asked if our pass D usually sucked that badly. I asked if he noticed how much time his QB had to make some of those throws. Dude had all day a few times and he made some easy throws. I agree that our D-line will not see another O-line of that caliber all season. We'll be just fine.

DjKyRo
08-31-2013, 10:21 PM
Pass Defense Concerns?

None here. Thanks for your continued interest in Bison football.

Giving up 280 yards (over a third of which came on two plays) to an NJCAA record-setting passer throwing to two All-BigXII guys is hardly alarming. Sure, Marcus and Heagle got beat deep but that's about what you'd expect. The fact that it happened sparingly is cause for some confidence in the unit's ability to defend the deep pass and to allow what the Tampa-2 scheme is supposed to allow - the short middle pass. Your comment on KSU being shallow at wide receiver is simply false.

As an aside to the trollery, who else was stoked to see Heagle have an impact last night? Leads the team in tackles with 7 solos and two of them for loss. What a way to return.

BisonEngrGirl
09-01-2013, 03:24 AM
K-States O-line was pretty ridiculous. They deserve the credit for all the pass completions. Our pass rush was not very effective. I could probably loft up a td or two if I could sit in the pocket for 25 seconds while the secondary got winded sprinted after receivers during a whole series of play. So on that note, kudos to K-State's o line. NDSU will look a lot better against FCS teams. No worries. End of story.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

MAKBison
09-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Not if the VALPO performance was an indication of their standard ability.....no physicality what so ever/ Soft on both sides of then ball. The QB can sling the ball and the receivers have some skill, but in JVish ---- thus in one word....NO!
Maybe next week will be a better indication of who they are

MAKBison
09-01-2013, 06:51 AM
I heard that as well...Radio post-coverage. After the TD he told the coach's he wanted to go press coverage the rest of the game. Did not realize the shut out he had at that point--wow!

Actually, from my understanding, after the big play to Lockett, Marcus said he wanted to switch to press coverage. 2 receptions for 17 yards after that.

As far as other comments in this thread:

I expected a couple of big plays from them. That is their style of football. The way they win is to run the ball and open up over the top with the long ball a couple of times a game. They got their long ball, they didn't get their running game. Half an offense can't win on too many levels.

Hubert had 10 carries for 23 yards. One run for 17 yards. 9 carries were for 6 yards. This is from a guy who many expect to blow past 1000 yards this season. As a team, they had 3 carries for 45 yards. Then had 20 more for minus 4. I know QB sacks are counted against run totals, but that is still insane.

2 for 10 on 3rd downs. So when KSU desperately needed to complete a pass to move the chains, they couldn't do it. Pretty much seemed like NDSU locked down when they needed to.

KSU guessed right on 6 offensive plays all night and did something very positive with it. That is not how you win college football. They were thoroughly taken out behind the proverbial woodshed. I am not worried about the pass coverage as for the rest of the season, I do not think any other QB will get that amount of time to throw the ball. Every corner, at every level, will get burned occassionally. With Williams it is so infrequent, 99% of the time the team can absorb it without any problems. We will get into a conference schedule where you won't even hear his name for 5 weeks until someone makes the mistake of throwing his way.

If I was any other team at the FCS level, I would be taking note that NDSU predicates its success on mistake free football. They played a heavyweight, made some mistakes and still won. What does that mean for everyone else? They will savor the win and get back to work.

gizmo
09-01-2013, 12:16 PM
It's a legit question. I'm sure the Bison coaching staff are not ignoring the deficiencies and mistakes that were made in our pass coverage.

Having said that, that was a very good football team we were playing. They're going to make some big plays. Overall, the Bison D was outstanding.

gwfan
09-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Bohl's philosophy, stop the run, make them one dimensional and good things happen. Worked to perfection.

MAKBison
09-01-2013, 01:49 PM
In a Tampa II defenses you are going to have certain number of completions---its the system. I would say other than the 2 passes for TD's the D played the T2 to perfection. Gotta like that for the first game and against a B12 team

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-01-2013, 01:55 PM
We went to man coverage after the big plays and shut them down. As far as giving up a lot of pass yards; after they realized that they could not run the ball against us, they went to a 3 slot formation ran short outs. That meant man coverage. Very hard to defend short outs with man coverage. They dinked and dunked us for most of the second half (that is, when they actually had the ball :)) with 8 yard outs with one on one coverage. We did not give up the deep ball and eventually stalled out the drives with a blitz getting through. Like others on here have mentioned before, their success in the passing game was due to their all big 12 line. They were picking up every single blitz we threw at them until the fourth quarter. In the fourth, we figure out how to put pressure on them and that is when it all ended for the kitties.

We copied their offensive scheme on that last drive in the fourth, sort of gave them a dose of their own medicine. We went to a 3-4 slot formation, forced them to go man and dink and dunked our way down the field to a game winning touchdown.

So you see Big UN_. Their pass defense sucked when we spread out as well. Very hard to defend against short outs in man coverage. No one in college football has figured it out yet. We will be just fine in the FCS as we won't see this kind of skill and pass protection for the rest of the season.

Oh ya, and one more thing. GFY!!!!!!

A1pigskin
09-01-2013, 02:12 PM
KState QB could have cooked a chicken pot pie, eat it and then throw the ball. However, there was better coverage after those two TD passes in the 3rd period.

1998braves64
09-01-2013, 03:20 PM
In the 4th qtr we had superman make an appearance on a blitz... :D
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

BisoninNWMN
09-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Against the best pass blocking O-line in the country, the Bison is pretty good IMO.

ZZ will run for over 100 and score 4 TDs against the pathetic school downstream.

Binford30
09-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Against the best pass blocking O-line in the country, the Bison is pretty good IMO.

ZZ will run for over 250 and score 4 TDs against the pathetic school downstream.

I fixed it for you,

Bison 4 Life
09-01-2013, 05:25 PM
KSU fan sitting in front of us turned around and asked if our pass D usually sucked that badly. I asked if he noticed how much time his QB had to make some of those throws. Dude had all day a few times and he made some easy throws. I agree that our D-line will not see another O-line of that caliber all season. We'll be just fine.

Was he still there at the end of the game?

KilldeerBison
09-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Ha Ha!! Huge FBS win plus BigUndies butthurt. Great times.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4