PDA

View Full Version : Steffes- Greatest RB in Bison history?

heymch86
10-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Kyle Steffes became the first Bison runner to have 3 straight 1,000 yard seasons. Not even Lamar Gordon did that. He might even had 4 straight if it wasn't for the injury against UND his freshman year. Where does he rank among the all-time greats?

SDbison
11-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Even though Gordon had more yards I think Steffes is more versatile and can be relied upon to get a few yards and more in a 3rd down and short situation. When D's would stack the line for short yardage Gordon would often get caught tippy toeing standing straight up and go down easy. Steffes is not like that and has the ability to find a small opening in the line and squeeze through. I think they are both #1 for different reasons.

NDSUstudent
11-01-2006, 12:14 AM
I don't know, if you put Gordon in the offense we have now instead of what we had under Babich he would be quite a force to be reckoned with.

After Steffes graduates I say

1.Lamar
2.Steffes

Scooter
11-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Tony Satter, definitely one of the best Bison RB ever.

Reggie Scott, if he could have stayed out of trouble... one of the best Bison RB's

99Bison
11-01-2006, 12:42 AM
I pretty much cannot rank them... There are so many good ones over the course of time it is unbelievable.

semobison
11-01-2006, 12:47 AM
Satter was electric. He only got 10 to 12 carries a game because we ran the veer back then. Does anybody know how many yards per carry he averaged during his career? I thought it was 8 or 9 YPC. Thats crazy over a career.

heymch86
11-01-2006, 12:48 AM
i also think you have to take into consideration the style of play. So many of the great Bison teams ran the ball and gave their RB's so many oppurtunities. Steffes has done this playing with 2 of the great passing QB's for the Bison in Stauss and Walker.

Scooter
11-01-2006, 01:23 AM
i also think you have to take into consideration the style of play. So many of the great Bison teams ran the ball and gave their RB's so many oppurtunities. Steffes has done this playing with 2 of the great passing QB's for the Bison in Stauss and Walker.

Actually, Steffes gets more opportunities than Satter got. *Last year Steffes had a great season with around 1070 yards on 242 carries. *Satter had 1014 with about 103 fewer carries....

But, we are comparing apples and oranges again...
1. Different style of offenses
2. What would Satter do with the same number of carries...
3. *What would Steffes do against strictly D2 competition.... *

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-01-2006, 01:24 AM
Ranking/comparing runninbacks is like judging a swimsuit contest--we all look for different things. So many things to look at 1. Durability 2. Consistency 3. Versatility 4. Speed 5.Toughness 6. Vision. I am not sure Steffes is best at any of the above but ranks high in all of them. What about Jake Morris or Chad Stark,,,,,,,

kuby
11-01-2006, 01:31 AM
CHAD STARK!!!! Sorry Tony

Trimmy
11-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Chad Stark ruled. So did Doug Lloyd.

BisonInTexas
11-01-2006, 01:50 AM

Actually, Steffes gets more opportunities than Satter got. *Last year Steffes had a great season with around 1070 yards on 242 carries. *Satter had 1014 with about 103 fewer carries....

But, we are comparing apples and oranges again...
1. Different style of offenses
2. What would Satter do with the same number of carries...
3. *What would Steffes do against strictly D2 competition.... *

You also must consider the fact that the DII of the 80s is (was?) vastly superior to the DII of today, so Stark and Satter weren't playing against Winona State every week.

That being said my vote is for Marty Sieh. ;)

Craig

NDSUFREAK10
11-01-2006, 01:52 AM
I dont know about Steffes being the greatest RB ever. Lamar was very explosive through those holes. Almost every game I saw, Lamar would bust a 60 yarder down the sideline. Though Steffes, I believe, is much stronger than him, i dont see Steffes as explosive.

But, if you put Steffes down to D2 when we had Lamar, Kyle would destroy the competition.

Leonardite
11-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Jake Morris definitely deserves mention.

74BisonFan
11-01-2006, 02:06 AM
I think Jake was the most natural runner of them all.

WYOBISONMAN
11-01-2006, 03:07 AM
Chad Stark ruled. *So did Doug Lloyd.

And Chad helped me get through Managerial Economics.........he has my vote!

No_Skill
11-01-2006, 03:10 AM
Gordon all the way. *He has most of the records, and if memory serves wasn't he injured part of one year?

broke_back_mnt
11-01-2006, 03:10 AM
I think Jake went down at UNO and the terrible turf they had. *Morris was great, a great runner in a tradition of great runners. *I saw everyone mentioned here run. *Others I saw have not been mentioned, but I saw Hatchett too. *He ran with authority and was the first of the great modern era backs.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-01-2006, 03:23 AM
I dont know about Steffes being the greatest RB ever. Lamar was very explosive through those holes. Almost every game I saw, Lamar would bust a 60 yarder down the sideline. Though Steffes, I believe, is much stronger than him, i dont see Steffes as explosive.

But, if you put Steffes down to D2 when we had Lamar, Kyle would destroy the competition.

D2 vs D1 has no bearing----if it does we could make the argument that Lamar/Tony/Chad/Jakeetc----did not play behind a D1 line. Its all relative....Great backs find a way to get it done. Division category means nothing here

sambini
11-01-2006, 03:24 AM
Paul Hatchet and Chad Stark+++

Bison53
11-01-2006, 04:01 AM
Agree with Scooter, Scott best i've seen.
My son blocked for Scott,Morris and Lamar.

99Bison
11-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Depends on what greatest is...

1. You can't beat Satter for excitement and moves.
2. Probably Lamar for straight line speed.
3. Scott for overall power and speed.

Stark, Llyod also deserve to be metioned.. along with more I am forgetting.

Lamar has records but the systems were drastically different... If you want to see rediculous imagine giving Satter or Stark the number of carries Lamar had. Lamar was hurt the fine half of his senior season. Satter got hurt early junior year and imo never fully recovered his speed.

NorthernBison
11-01-2006, 01:04 PM
James Molstre was pretty good but got overshadowed by the rest of the backfield. I believe that Mike Kasowski had a pretty good career. Didn't he had a backfield mate who was pretty good?

Some of our best runningbacks have been quarterbacks. Both Simdorn and Beachy were awesome runners. Overall, my vote for best runningback is a QB (Bentrim). He seemed to always get positive yards and took as much of a beating as anyone because he usually got tackled even if he didn't carry the ball. I don't know about how much spped he had. I think he would have put up big numbers lined up in the backfield with someone else playing QB.

Former_Hitman
11-01-2006, 01:26 PM
As mentioned before, we are comparing apples and oranges.

Also, we must watch the word "gr--test". *If you had put on the green and gold, you would understand you earned that word "gr--t".

There's been some really good backs and gr--t backs who put on the green and gold. *Let's leave it as that...

Meanwhile, let's talk about their accomplishments as a team.

NDSU_grad
11-01-2006, 01:33 PM
I think Reggie Scott and Kyle Steffes are most "natural" rb's. There are rb's with more size and speed but those two had an innate ability to find holes and make people miss. Lamar and Tony Satter were the most explosive and had the best straight-line speed. Impossible to say who is the best.

Jim_Puetz
11-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Gordy Sprattler. He was one tough mother f'er.

BisonBacker
11-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Ranking/comparing runninbacks is like judging a swimsuit contest--we all look for different things. *So many things to look at *1. Durability * 2. Consistency *3. Versatility 4. Speed 5.Toughness 6. Vision. * *I am not sure Steffes is best at any of the above but ranks high in all of them. * *What about Jake Morris or Chad Stark,,,,,,,

I don't ever remember looking for those 6 things you mentioned in any swiming suit contest I ever saw I was too busy looking at other great assets :D

BisonWarrior
11-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I'll pick Steffes...durability, shifty, but still hits hard for the final 2 yards when backed into the corner!

BisonCardinal
11-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Tie between Steffes and Satter.

Steffes reminds me of Walter Payton. Quick in picking and hitting the hole. Punishes his tackler.

Satter reminds me of Tony Dorsett. Long legged. Good at juking. Dangerous and fast in the open spaces.

roadwarrior
11-01-2006, 06:19 PM
I think that picking any one runner as the best in history does diservice to the many great running backs that we have had in Bison football history!

BisonBacker
11-01-2006, 06:29 PM
I think that picking any one runner as the best in history does diservice to the many great running backs that we have had in Bison football history!

I don't understand that rationale. *Can't there be a best at something without someone feeling like they were slighted? *In every sport or walk of life there are people who do things better then others its just fun speculating. *This board is filling up with people and moderators who don't seem to like people making comparisons on anything. * We don't live in a fairyland where everyone is equal folks so don't try to pretend to. *Geez this thread was just for fun, isn't that the purpose of the whole site?

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-01-2006, 07:59 PM

I don't understand that rationale. *Can't there be a best at something without someone feeling like they were slighted? *In every sport or walk of life there are people who do things better then others its just fun speculating. *This board is filling up with people and moderators who don't seem to like people making comparisons on anything. * We don't live in a fairyland where everyone is equal folks so don't try to pretend to. *Geez this thread was just for fun, isn't that the purpose of the whole site?

I agree---there is no diservice to anybody---this forum is all about opinions. Bunch of people with too much time --who like to pretend we know all about football. Most of what is said on this board has no service to any Bison Athletes---Lots of Hot Air!!!!!! [smiley=grin.gif]

Coach_W
11-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Watched alot of em beat UND in the 80's and early 90's; my vote goes to Satter.

Lamar never did anything against UND and Kyle, unfortunately, never got a chance to play against UND for 4 years. He's good though.

mikelsch
11-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Watched alot of em beat UND in the 80's and early 90's; my vote goes to Satter.

Lamar never did anything against UND and Kyle, unfortunately, never got a chance to play against UND for 4 years. *He's good though.

Lamar rushed for over 100 yards in a win against UND his junior year --- year NDSU went to semis

Steffes played against UND his freshman year --- was running very well until breaking his leg that game

Former_Hitman
11-01-2006, 08:18 PM

I agree---there is no diservice to anybody---this forum is all about opinions. Bunch of people with too much time --who like to pretend we know all about football. *Most of what is said on this board has no service to any Bison Athletes---Lots of Hot Air!!!!!! [smiley=grin.gif]

That's the thing, we have former players who has good knowledge and non-players who has no knowledge on this board. *

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-01-2006, 08:23 PM

I agree---there is no diservice to anybody---this forum is all about opinions. Bunch of people with too much time --who like to pretend we know all about football. *Most of what is said on this board has no service to any Bison Athletes---Lots of Hot Air!!!!!! [smiley=grin.gif]

That's the thing, we have former players who has good knowledge and non-players who has no knowledge on this board. *

I agree Hitman---I have read some silly/dumbass statements from non-players.....but that is the beauty of these forums. Everyone gets to be heard. Maybe the non-players are smarter they have not been smacked in the head as much as we have.

WYOBISONMAN
11-01-2006, 08:48 PM

I agree Hitman---I have read some silly/dumbass statements from non-players.....but that is the beauty of these forums. *Everyone gets to be heard. *Maybe the non-players are smarter they have not been smacked in the head as much *as we have.

Obviously you have not seen my wife when she is pissed............. ;)

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-02-2006, 12:21 AM

I agree Hitman---I have read some silly/dumbass statements from non-players.....but that is the beauty of these forums. *Everyone gets to be heard. *Maybe the non-players are smarter they have not been smacked in the head as much *as we have.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ [smiley=grin.gif]

sambini
11-02-2006, 01:43 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hammerhead
11-02-2006, 02:45 AM
I'm glad to see someone already mentioned Bentrim. I was a freshman in 1986 when he won the Harlon Hill award. Benny took a hit on almost every down.

Didn't he make "the pitch" against USD where he was literally inches from the turf and pitched it out the running back who scampered down the sideline for a long TD? I may have to dig out my 100 years of NDSU football videotape to find the answer to that one.

Bisonguy
11-02-2006, 02:52 AM
I'm glad to see someone already mentioned Bentrim. *I was a freshman in 1986 when he won the Harlon Hill award. *Benny took a hit on almost every down. *

Didn't he make "the pitch" against USD where he was literally inches from the turf and pitched it out the running back who scampered down the sideline for a long TD? *I may have to dig out my 100 years of NDSU football videotape to find the answer to that one.

Tony has been so kind as to grace us with two versions of "the pitch"- http://www.bisonville.com/thepitch.html

broke_back_mnt
11-02-2006, 03:40 AM
Lots of great, athletic backs, but reading the posts you have to give a lot of weight to the guys who came up big in the Big Games.

scottheck
11-02-2006, 03:53 AM
I'm glad to see someone already mentioned Bentrim. *I was a freshman in 1986 when he won the Harlon Hill award. *Benny took a hit on almost every down. *

Didn't he make "the pitch" against USD where he was literally inches from the turf and pitched it out the running back who scampered down the sideline for a long TD? *I may have to dig out my 100 years of NDSU football videotape to find the answer to that one.

Tony has been so kind as to grace us with two versions of "the pitch"- http://www.bisonville.com/thepitch.html

Wasn't there another "pitch"? The one I remember was at Dacotah Field at about the 50 yard line to, if memory serves, Stacey R? I remember home greens but don't remember the opponent.

TonkaBison
11-02-2006, 04:08 AM

Wasn't there another "pitch"? *The one I remember was at Dacotah Field at about the 50 yard line to, if memory serves, Stacey R? *I remember home greens but don't remember the opponent.

I don't remember a pitch but I do remember the "leap" where Robinson did about a 36" vertical in between two defenders to pull down a pass! Spud Webb couldn't have done much better!!!

BisonMav
11-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Wasn't there another "pitch"? *The one I remember was at Dacotah Field at about the 50 yard line to, if memory serves, Stacey R? *I remember home greens but don't remember the opponent.

Yes there was another pitch to Stacy Robinson from Bentrim as he was being tackled. I was there, 1984 Morningside game. Bentrim was being tackled at about the 40 and pitched to Stacy.

BisonMav
11-02-2006, 12:10 PM

Hey, you all spelled knowledge correctly. ;)

Bison_Dan
11-02-2006, 02:47 PM

I'll call this post...
"Obviously, it takes my wife to put things into perspective..."
I was reading this thread last night as my wife came into our bedroom I remarked, "Well, here we go again..." *Now, my wife likes football and occasionally will read some of the posts that are on this board. *She got to the comment "I have read some silly/dumb ass comments from non-players" and she nearly pissed her pants laughing. *She said, " Some of the stupidest things ever written on this board are preceeded by the phrases, "Back when I played," or "you have no Idea what honor and tradition...blah, blah, blah (yes, she actually said blah, blah, blah) because you never wore the green and gold" *"why don't they just concede the point instead of bringing the stupid "I'm rubber you're glue defense"
* *Now I told her, "that's a stretch, you think that just because a guy played football that they are dumb asses" *to this she said, "You forget that I went to class with a lot of these intellectual giants. *All they wanted to do when we broke off into groups for class was look at my boobs..." *I started to defend some of my friends that she had so stereotypically painted with the same brush, but she started getting ready for bed and I forgot my argument. *Now, this brings me to the point of this post... *

No matter how smart we think we are or how superior we think we are, from time to time everyone is considered a dumb ass by someone else.

If I have offended anyone.... feel free to use the "I'm rubber you're glue defense...." *

Good post! - But I can' t fault them for looking at boobs. ;D ;D

BisonBacker
11-02-2006, 03:05 PM

I'll call this post...
I was reading this thread last night as my wife came into our bedroom I remarked, "Well, here we go again..." *Now, my wife likes football and occasionally will read some of the posts that are on this board. *She got to the comment "I have read some silly/dumb ass comments from non-players" and she nearly pissed her pants laughing. *She said, " Some of the stupidest things ever written on this board are preceeded by the phrases, "Back when I played," or "you have no Idea what honor and tradition...blah, blah, blah (yes, she actually said blah, blah, blah) because you never wore the green and gold" *"why don't they just concede the point instead of bringing the stupid "I'm rubber you're glue defense"
* *Now I told her, "that's a stretch, you think that just because a guy played football that they are dumb asses" *to this she said, "You forget that I went to class with a lot of these intellectual giants. *All they wanted to do when we broke off into groups for class was look at my boobs..." *I started to defend some of my friends that she had so stereotypically painted with the same brush, but she started getting ready for bed and I forgot my argument. *Now, this brings me to the point of this post... *

No matter how smart we think we are or how superior we think we are, from time to time everyone is considered a dumb ass by someone else.

If I have offended anyone.... feel free to use the "I'm rubber you're glue defense...." *

That's too funny, (edited for PC content for Tony). *Way too funny and also competely wrong in the latter case.

BisonBacker
11-02-2006, 03:11 PM

I'll call this post...

Good post! *- But I can' t fault them for looking at boobs. * ;D ;D

Agreed 100%

BisonBacker
11-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Just sports, no politics please. *We don't want to wake up the political watchdogs now, do we?!?

I thought you guys might get a kick out of that story. :D

Real Moral of story "Who would have thought that all you needed was seven pounds of fat topped by two nipples to rule the world."

That's just to dam funny and yes to your first point I hear ya!

Bison_Dan
11-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Just sports, no politics please. *We don't want to wake up the political watchdogs now, do we?!?

I thought you guys might get a kick out of that story. :D

Real Moral of story "Who would have thought that all you needed was seven pounds of fat topped by two nipples to rule the world."

7 pounds - would that be a 36C?

BisonBacker
11-02-2006, 03:53 PM
sicko.

I just stated that my wife reads these forums, are you trying to get me killed?!?!
What did he PM you and ask for pic's? ;D ;D ;D

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-02-2006, 04:01 PM

I'll call this post...

Scooter--have your wife read my statement again----I think her interpretation is totally incorrect. I made a comment that I have read some silly statements in this forum---I can substantiate these if she would like. Your wife suffers from a bad case of stereotyping............There have been many athletes that took their schooling serious and did not go to stare at boobs. Tell her the "intellectual giants" may actually be her boobs!

BisonBacker
11-02-2006, 04:06 PM
This topic has gone to the BOOBS
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-02-2006, 04:45 PM
two votes for Marty Seigh... there now we are back on topic

That would be Marty Sieh-------

get your mind off her boobs

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Marty Sieh-------?

I had no idea that the last seven letters of his name was a swear word :-?

That must have sucked in Kindergarten..... :-[

"O.K. Marty, let's write your last name...S...i...e...h...Oh my God!!..." :o

It's probably a good thing they don't have names on the jerseys at NDSU. :D

I bet the last seven letters was "boobies" wasn't it. ;)

Wait a minute......Siehboobies?!?...Marty, were you ever in a marketing focus group???...... :D

Once again... "Lord,I appoligize... (sorry Marty.... you were a great Bison), and please help all those starving children in Etheopia..."

wtf ?

WYOBISONMAN
11-03-2006, 02:45 AM
Sorry......but I have had too much Calvert tonight and this thread is now over my head.............. :o

sambini
11-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Marty is an engineer in the Twin Cities. Also Chad Starks brother in law. Now we should be thankful we've had a lot of great backs to compare and talk about.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Marty is an engineer in the Twin Cities. Also Chad Starks brother in law. Now we should be thankful we've had a lot of great backs to compare and talk about.

Really?!? *I change my vote for Marty and Chad....Could you imagine the neighbors coming over to challenge this family in a thanksgiving day football game in the front yard? *
HOLY CRAP!!!

I would guess they stared at your wife's boobs.

The amazing thing Marty is an engineer, but Scooter you said all football players got help on their homework?

It is good that a little boy like you can play on these chats. Send me a P.M and then hit the ignore. Did your wife tell you to do that?

mebison
11-03-2006, 04:49 PM
What is up with the board this week? Why do I keep seeing these personal bickering fights with people telling what they are doing in private messages? It's called PRIVATE for a reason! If people are ignoring each other's PMs I I don't see why that needs to be posted on the public boards?!?!

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Everyone.....Wacker asked me to stop teasing him... I told him that I would.

I told him in my PM that I was blocking him and I did. *

So... "Sigh"..... I will not respond to any more of your posts.

"Here endeth the lesson" *From the "Untouchables"

Scooter your name speaks volumes

Your actions speak louder

Hide your ass behind the screan

BisonInTexas
11-03-2006, 05:40 PM
My apologies to Marty for bringing up his name originally in this thread! I knew him back in the day and I only meant it tongue in cheek and to reflect how damn old I am. As has been stated, he definitely wasn't in class with Scooter's wife.

Craig

kuby
11-03-2006, 05:47 PM
They are all great!!! (RB's)We could go on and on about this. Lets not, all the running backs had there "thing" Just thought i would give my 2%. Kuby

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-03-2006, 07:35 PM
They are all great!!! (RB's)We could go on and on about this. Lets not, all the running backs had there "thing" Just thought i would give my 2%. Kuby

Kuby, the voice of reason?

SUPERBUNNY
11-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Here's my reply from a different perspective, we were on the wrong side of the game with some of these guys!

My top 3:

1. Chad Stark-A Brookings native! He absolutely crushed us every time! What a bruiser!

2. Tony Satter-Great guy, lived here for a while. Got tired of him getting the corner and saying, "There he goes again!"

3. Lamar Gordon-As good as the other but they were from the "Glory Years"!

They all whipped our butts!

SUPERBUNNY

sambini
11-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Kuby well said +++++

kchats
11-04-2006, 03:58 AM
I'm not surprised Marty Sieh is an engineer. I studied with him for Differential Equations and he helped me much more than I helped him. I hated that class and really didn't get it but he loved it and did a great job explaining it to me when we studied.

sambini
11-04-2006, 04:00 AM
Thanks for your insight as always KCHATS+++

kchats
11-04-2006, 04:10 AM
I am also an engineer working in the Kansas City area designing bridges. No problem Sambini. I knew plenty of very intelligent football players when I attended NDSU.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-04-2006, 05:22 AM
I am also an engineer working in the Kansas City area designing bridges. *No problem Sambini. *I knew plenty of very intelligent football players when I attended NDSU.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + +

Gully
11-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Can we talk about boobs some more?

sambini
11-04-2006, 11:18 AM
I like Boobs+++++

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-04-2006, 03:06 PM
I can't say anything