PDA

View Full Version : Most thrilling win ever ??????

1st&TennBison
08-31-2013, 04:34 AM
Not having a huge amount of knowledge on our football past I would venture to say this is the biggest win ever in Bison football history that is not a playoff game. It had it all. Away game at a major FBS program. Come from behind victory. Bison kept their cool all through the game. Clock domination like the coach wanted. Great run defense. National TV audience with tons of exposure. I could keep on going.

aces1180
08-31-2013, 04:36 AM
Not having a huge amount of knowledge on our football past I would venture to say this is the biggest win ever in Bison football history that is not a playoff game. It had it all. Away game at a major FBS program. Come from behind victory. Bison kept their cool all through the game. Clock domination like the coach wanted. Great run defense. National TV audience with tons of exposure. I could keep on going.

I'd rate this up there with the modern day gold standard of SHSU in 2007 and last year's GSU game....Bigger implications here than SHSU, but not GSU.

onbison09
08-31-2013, 04:47 AM
I still have a soft spot for the Georgia Southern win last year but I don't know.

BisonTeacher
08-31-2013, 04:49 AM
I still have a soft spot for the Georgia Southern win last year but I don't know.

I feel like that one (GSU) we had a little more luck on our side rather than control. We had control of this one.

Hammerhead
08-31-2013, 04:52 AM
The only regular season game that comes close IMHO is our win at Montana when we just started our transition and came back from way behind. In the D-II days, I don't think there were any non-conference games where the Bison were huge underdogs.

BisonEngrGirl
08-31-2013, 04:52 AM
I think this was NDSU's most significant win considering the level of play and the fact that they are defending Big 12 champs. Probably one of the top 5 most thrilling, imo. It'll be a fun night in Kansas!!

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

1998braves64
08-31-2013, 05:10 AM
I don't know if I would describe it as thrilling... it seemed after they got down to KSU 30s you just knew Brock was going to get it punched in everyone was so keyed in on that goal. There were no big flashy plays that stand out extensively (at least imo, there were big timely plays granted but nothing that made you go WOW they pulled that off!) I would describe it as more incredible... for me the SHSU (Fargodome), Cal Poly and UC Davis games were more what I would describe as thrilling (but less meaningful) and GSU too just because of the significance of it. I describe this one of the most incredible football games I've ever watched.

heffray
08-31-2013, 05:27 AM
I don't know if I would describe it as thrilling... it seemed after they got down to KSU 30s you just knew Brock was going to get it punched in everyone was so keyed in on that goal. There were no big flashy plays that stand out extensively (at least imo, there were big timely plays granted but nothing that made you go WOW they pulled that off!) I would describe it as more incredible... for me the SHSU (Fargodome), Cal Poly and UC Davis games were more what I would describe as thrilling (but less meaningful) and GSU too just because of the significance of it. I describe this one of the most incredible football games I've ever watched.

Yeah, because "thrilling" and "incredible" are in no way synonymous...

bisonaudit
08-31-2013, 05:29 AM
The ring is the thing.

CaBisonFan
08-31-2013, 05:30 AM
It's a slam dunk.

gumby013
08-31-2013, 05:33 AM
The game was the best I have ever seen in person. So good that when celebrating the last touchdown, I passed out and tumbled down three rows of seats. Thankfully, there were some squishy fans in front of me that broke my fall.

That heat was a bitch.

aces1180
08-31-2013, 05:35 AM
The game was the best I have ever seen in person. So good that when celebrating the last touchdown, I passed out and tumbled down three rows of seats. Thankfully, there were some squishy fans in front of me that broke my fall.

That heat was a bitch.

Seriously?! Glad you are ok. Wow.

1998braves64
08-31-2013, 05:45 AM
Yeah, because "thrilling" and "incredible" are in no way synonymous...

I know what you're trying to say... I was trying to differentiate the feeling I had while watching these games... which is sad state when I have to decide what level of thrilling a game was! :D For me thrilling is more defined as high octane action with lots of "explosions", incredible is just watching in awe as the machine moves methodically down the field... you see what I'm getting at here? In the end they're ALL pleasant games to have been a part of!

heffray
08-31-2013, 05:47 AM
I know what you're trying to say... I was trying to differentiate the feeling I had while watching these games... which is sad state when I have to decide what level of thrilling a game was! :D For me thrilling is more defined as high octane action with lots of "explosions", incredible is just watching in awe as the machine moves methodically down the field... you see what I'm getting at here? In the end they're ALL pleasant games to have been a part of!

Yeah, i know what you're saying. In all honesty though, the slow, methodical beatdown that the Bison put on Kstate in that final drive was thrilling enough for me, ironically enough. especially down by 4. GSU all over again. Nothing more thrilling and so much on the line.

Professor Chaos
08-31-2013, 05:48 AM
This game ranks as a solid #6

1) 2011 National Title game (technically played in 2012)
2) 2012 National Title game (technically played in 2013)
3) 2011 Semifinal against GSU
4) 2012 Semifinal against GSU
5) 2007 against Minnesota - say what you will about the Gophers but this game announced NDSU's relevance on a national stage
6) 2013 Kansas St

Not to take anything away from this game, it was so gratifying to have our team beat the cocky K State fan base's team but in the grand scheme of things this wasn't even close to the biggest win NDSU has seen in the last few years.

MNLonghorn10
08-31-2013, 05:49 AM
This was awesome. I wasnt as nervous as i was during last years GA southern game...but that drive back wont seem like 19 hours tomorrow

oldmantutters
08-31-2013, 05:51 AM
The thing about this game was the fucking loser fans that we had to deal with on goemaw.com, fucking losahs.

1998braves64
08-31-2013, 05:53 AM
Yeah, i know what you're saying. In all honesty though, the slow, methodical beatdown that the Bison put on Kstate in that final drive was thrilling enough for me, ironically enough. especially down by 4. GSU all over again. Nothing more thrilling and so much on the line. I guess if it was most thrilling meaningful win ever I'd have to agree as I believe this team has a goal of running the table this year, like heck what other loftier goal could they have that they haven't already achieved (other than 3 in a row which is #2) and is definitely within their reach now that they've hurdled the tallest hurdle!

oldmantutters
08-31-2013, 05:55 AM
This was awesome. I wasnt as nervous as i was during last years GA southern game...but that drive back wont seem like 19 hours tomorrow

I felt completely worn down after that game, paying tribute to my dad after the game winning TD was the most emotional thing I've ever done. The Bison couldn't lose after that game.

HerdBot
08-31-2013, 05:58 AM
Tough question. The way I feel at the moment I would say probably but after the Georgia Southern game I actually teared up like a little girl because I had myFrisco tickets. Flip a coin

gumby013
08-31-2013, 06:01 AM
Seriously?! Glad you are ok. Wow.

It went:

Touchdown.

Scream.

High five everyone around me.

Don't remember the last high five connecting.

Everything dark.

Fun times!

HerdBot
08-31-2013, 06:13 AM

That heat was a bitch.

Heat. Stress. Emotions. Beer. Dehydration. Understandable. Glad your ok

bisonfanette
08-31-2013, 06:31 AM
Still in awe over the performance of this outstanding football team - thank you Bison! Incredibly hot down near the field... dripping with sweat... but if the team could play football in this extreme heat, the very least we could do was cheer our lungs out! It was soo worth it! Met a ton of very hospitable K-State fans.
Yes, this game & the GSU game, left us speechless, & very appreciative of this talented team.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-31-2013, 06:49 AM

Hands down the biggest win in the programs history.

HerdBot
08-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Hands down the biggest win in the programs history.

As far as most press it's not even close. As far as defining how good we can be, not even close. But Georgia Southern last year was the best game I have ever witnessed with implications and it couldn't get any more dramatic. The dome was so loud I can't even describe it. I had tickets to Frisco and I had been thinking about them for months. The GSA game was so epic, it actually made the National Championship game a bit anticlimatic since we kicked their ass. But the 2011 Championship was up there. Great game.

Flip a coin..
2012 GSA
2013 KSU
2011 Frisco

aces1180
08-31-2013, 07:13 AM
It went:

Touchdown.

Scream.

Everything dark.

Fun times!

Been there, done that!

(well, not quite like that, but shit happens)

I almost passed out during a SDSU game one time.

Hail!

NDSUBowler
08-31-2013, 07:15 AM
That was the most stressful 18 plays I have ever been witness to in my life. 8.5 minutes of PURE stress. Every 3rd down I had ultimate confidence while still expecting the worse. It is an odd feeling to have.

1st&TennBison
08-31-2013, 10:29 AM
I will take any NC game over Kansas, and some of the playoff wins as well. Mostly because of there importance in getting to the NC game. My question was geared towards weather this win was the best regular season win ever. I would say best ever in the regular season, and somewhere around 5-6 (that I know of) if you include playoff/NC games.

A1pigskin
08-31-2013, 12:47 PM
This win reminds me of the movie Rudy.

WYOBISONMAN
08-31-2013, 01:05 PM
I would have to say the most significant win ever was the first FCS Natty. That truly established the Bison as a National FCS power house.

devin45k
08-31-2013, 01:56 PM
I loved this win! The FBS arrogance from the K state fans was crazy. I love how we smacked them right in the mouth!

80 yard 8.5 minute drive....Now that shows skill!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-31-2013, 02:05 PM
It went:

Touchdown.

Scream.

Everything dark.

Fun times!

I believe you. The heat was oppressing. The stadium was packed, and I mean packed. Not just sold out like at Gopher games, not an empty seat in the house. We were in the endzone with the other Bison contingent. There was not a breeze and it seemed it got hotter as the game wore on.

Without a doubt, the biggest win and most exciting game I have ever been at, and yes, I was at the GSU game last year.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Heat. Stress. Emotions. Beer. Dehydration. Understandable. Glad your ok

Gabe, were you at the game?

BisonTeacher
08-31-2013, 02:18 PM

You didnt see the sombrero? :-))

Hammersmith
08-31-2013, 02:21 PM
There's been something special about all the games mentioned. This one was special because of the sheer number of people watching. I doubt the numbers are out yet, but I'd bet more people watched this gamed than our two FCS NC games and this year's NC game combined. And because of the way the game developed, I bet most or all watched until the end.

The Montana win introduced us to I-AA. The early Minnesota games introduced the new(DI) Bison to the upper-Midwest region. The first NC told FCS the Bison program is back. The second NC told FCS we're here to stay(not a one-hit wonder). This win introduced us to the nation. Each win important; just a different message.

devin45k
08-31-2013, 02:22 PM
There's been something special about all the games mentioned. This one was special because of the sheer number of people watching. I doubt the numbers are out yet, but I'd bet more people watched this gamed than our two FCS NC games and this year's NC game combined. And because of the way the game developed, I bet most or all watched until the end.

The Montana win introduced us to I-AA. The early Minnesota games introduced the new(DI) Bison to the upper-Midwest region. The first NC told FCS the Bison program is back. The second NC told FCS we're here to stay(not a one-hit wonder). This win introduced us to the nation. Each win important; just a different message.

This is a great explanation.....The respect and props we are getting is nationwide now.

HerdBot
08-31-2013, 02:39 PM

No. Wish I was but it was fun watching at the bar
Incredible atmosphere

westnodak93bison
08-31-2013, 02:53 PM
I feel like that one (GSU) we had a little more luck on our side rather than control. We had control of this one.

Yeah we had luck and the help of that knucklehead Brent Russell getting several personal fouls.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hammerhead
08-31-2013, 03:09 PM
ESPN even had a little segment asking the question "Who is North Dakota State?" where they showed the scores of our recent FBS games and nat'l championship games. :)

This is a great explanation.....The respect and props we are getting is nationwide now.

BisonNation11
08-31-2013, 03:39 PM
That was the most stressful 18 plays I have ever been witness to in my life. 8.5 minutes of PURE stress. Every 3rd down I had ultimate confidence while still expecting the worse. It is an odd feeling to have.

^^^^THIS^^^^ I didn't know whether to smile like Bohl does with that sh*t grin of confidence or bite my fingernails off in a desperate attempt to get rid of my anxiety and stress. All I could do is yell "March it! March it down their throats!" on every play!

And for the record, to go along with what the original question was (games OTHER THAN playoffs), yes it is the most thrilling win ever. Yeah, we were excited for Montana, but not at this stage, not at this level. This game put NDSU on the map for good.

HandoEX
08-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Beating Minnesota, Georgia Southern, Sam Houston, or Montana aren't even close to this game in my opinion. Not close.

loudsilverado
08-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Beating Minnesota, Georgia Southern, Sam Houston, or Montana aren't even close to this game in my opinion. Not close.

2000 Bison/Sioux

CaBisonFan
08-31-2013, 07:35 PM
The Thrilla in Manhattan

A1pigskin
08-31-2013, 08:24 PM
My palms were sweating during the 4th qtr 8-1/2 minute drive. It was fantastic.