PDA

View Full Version : What to expect in Manhattan, from a NDSU fan's perspective

westriver bison
08-28-2013, 02:04 PM
KState is my favorite BCS team for several reasons. Several family members have BS, MS, or PHd's from that fine institution. Two family members are professors at KState. I, along with my wife, son, in-laws, outlaws, and many friends are NDSU graduates. I know there will be at least one flag pole with a NDSU and KState flag on it. Before I got season tickets at the FFD there were years I attended more KState home games than NDSU games, usually it was a nice time to visit family and see a good football game.

The football facilities are fantastic. I can't wait to see the new addition up close. The tailgating scene is second to none. There is no close parking for visitors because the close parking lots are taken up with paid tailgating spots. The high end donors are on the west lot. Students are on the east side. Cheaper tailgating is north of the stadium. Take a stroll through the west lot, you will be treated like family, they even treat Nebraska fans well. About an hour before the game some of the prospective recruits walk through the west lot. The fans form an alley and applaud and get an up close look at these athletes.

The Stanley Stout Center, where the Alumni Association is setting up, is a nice building. The department chair for the department in charge of the facility is a former department chair at NDSU. Word is there was a lot of money spent installing televisions and other anemities to enhance the experience. It is a beef sales facility so you may get some poo on your shoes. It is also adjacent to the Purebred Beef barn. I'm sure they'll have some of their high quality beef on display, take the time to stroll through there if that interests you.

Manhattan is a nice town. Biggest problem is it is small compared to Fargo. Traffic before and after the game is a bitch. Finding a place to eat without a long wait is impossible. There are two main centers of business, one on the east end of town and a smaller area on the west side of town. Pre and post game Aggieville will be rocking. There are shuttles from Aggieville to the football stadium, but most people will walk. If you get to Aggieville early Friday morning you may find a place to park, otherwise plan on walking from your hotel and then either walking or taking the shuttle to the game and back.

The campus is one of the nicest I have seen. The buildings are all made out of limestone. There are rolling hills and a lot of trees. Take the time to find Call Hall and enjoy some of the ice cream they make at KState, it's definitely not low fat!

The fans are very welcoming and knowledgeable. They know about our team and it's success's. If you want to talk trash I'm sure you'll find some to do that with, but it will be difficult. When I was at the Miami game last year there were a lot of questions about our team. They are not typical BCS snobs toward FCS programs and fans. They are concerned but not worried about losing to us, just as we are concerned but not worried when visiting teams enter the FFD.

I suggest that you drive to Kansas City and go west at the airport. The two lanes roads are heavily travelled and are through a highly agricultural area. There will be a lot of farm equipment on these roads and it is quite hilly with some blind turns.

Be prepared for an enjoyable time, and be prepared to do a lot of walking.

KSBisonFan
08-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Good summary, WB. I'll 2nd the part about traffic.....get to the tailgate early and you won't have to deal with most of it. Weather forecast is now calling for temps in the high 90's and possibly triple digits so bring some sunscreen and lots of water.

KC Bison
08-28-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm considering coming in on Hwy 24 out of Lawrence rather than I-70. Any ideas about that road.

tmcats
08-28-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm considering coming in on Hwy 24 out of Lawrence rather than I-70. Any ideas about that road.

if game day, that would be a busy way through several small towns; take i70. the best way to manhattan from the north is down from lincoln unless it's game day.

moosbah
08-28-2013, 03:14 PM
KState is my favorite BCS team for several reasons. Several family members have BS, MS, or PHd's from that fine institution. Two family members are professors at KState. I, along with my wife, son, in-laws, outlaws, and many friends are NDSU graduates. I know there will be at least one flag pole with a NDSU and KState flag on it. Before I got season tickets at the FFD there were years I attended more KState home games than NDSU games, usually it was a nice time to visit family and see a good football game.

The football facilities are fantastic. I can't wait to see the new addition up close. The tailgating scene is second to none. There is no close parking for visitors because the close parking lots are taken up with paid tailgating spots. The high end donors are on the west lot. Students are on the east side. Cheaper tailgating is north of the stadium. Take a stroll through the west lot, you will be treated like family, they even treat Nebraska fans well. About an hour before the game some of the prospective recruits walk through the west lot. The fans form an alley and applaud and get an up close look at these athletes.

The Stanley Stout Center, where the Alumni Association is setting up, is a nice building. The department chair for the department in charge of the facility is a former department chair at NDSU. Word is there was a lot of money spent installing televisions and other anemities to enhance the experience. It is a beef sales facility so you may get some poo on your shoes. It is also adjacent to the Purebred Beef barn. I'm sure they'll have some of their high quality beef on display, take the time to stroll through there if that interests you.

Manhattan is a nice town. Biggest problem is it is small compared to Fargo. Traffic before and after the game is a bitch. Finding a place to eat without a long wait is impossible. There are two main centers of business, one on the east end of town and a smaller area on the west side of town. Pre and post game Aggieville will be rocking. There are shuttles from Aggieville to the football stadium, but most people will walk. If you get to Aggieville early Friday morning you may find a place to park, otherwise plan on walking from your hotel and then either walking or taking the shuttle to the game and back.

The campus is one of the nicest I have seen. The buildings are all made out of limestone. There are rolling hills and a lot of trees. Take the time to find Call Hall and enjoy some of the ice cream they make at KState, it's definitely not low fat!

The fans are very welcoming and knowledgeable. They know about our team and it's success's. If you want to talk trash I'm sure you'll find some to do that with, but it will be difficult. When I was at the Miami game last year there were a lot of questions about our team. They are not typical BCS snobs toward FCS programs and fans. They are concerned but not worried about losing to us, just as we are concerned but not worried when visiting teams enter the FFD.

I suggest that you drive to Kansas City and go west at the airport. The two lanes roads are heavily travelled and are through a highly agricultural area. There will be a lot of farm equipment on these roads and it is quite hilly with some blind turns.

Be prepared for an enjoyable time, and be prepared to do a lot of walking.

FINALLY someone gives Manhattan it's due props. It's a great small town that lives for it's college.

runtheoption
08-28-2013, 03:17 PM
FINALLY someone gives Manhattan it's due props. It's a great small town that lives for it's college. Check neg rep.

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2013, 03:21 PM
FINALLY someone gives Manhattan it's due props. It's a great small town that lives for it's college.

Good for them.

bri-dog
08-28-2013, 03:28 PM
So, let me know if this is right: anyone NOT tailgating in the Alumni Association area would be parking in the grassy area east of the stadium (Lot 9), which opens at 2:30???

SDbison
08-28-2013, 03:37 PM
So, let me know if this is right: anyone NOT tailgating in the Alumni Association area would be parking in the grassy area east of the stadium (Lot 9), which opens at 2:30??? That would be north and east of the stadium.........correct?

344Johnson
08-28-2013, 03:39 PM

lol @ Longhorn's negative response. I'd imagine it has something to do with Mack brown calling Bill Snyder Daddy...and the fact through his film study he has concluded 52-10 will be the outcome.

Seriously looking forward to seeing this place. A girl on NDSU's "Overheard" facebook page transferred to K-State and is attempting to play some mindgames with the students there buy wearing NDSU apparel this week. I can dig it.

tmcats
08-28-2013, 03:39 PM
yes, there is a tailgate area across the street to the northeast of 'the bill.' easy walking distance to the stadium.

SDbison
08-28-2013, 03:40 PM
yes, there is a tailgate area across the street to the northeast of 'the bill.' Is that lot entirely non-reserved?

OnagaCat
08-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Is that lot entirely non-reserved?

I think so but it fills up very quickly.

KSBisonFan
08-28-2013, 03:50 PM

I'd avoid HWY 24 unless you allow an extra hour for the farm machinery, small towns every 10 miles and cattle being herded on the road (true story).

tmcats
08-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Is that lot entirely non-reserved?

yep. it's a favorite for visiting fans who arrive early, like the morning before game day.

bri-dog
08-28-2013, 03:52 PM
yep. it's a favorite for visiting fans who arrive early, like the morning before game day.

According to the KSU website, all lots open 5 hours before gametime (2:30 in this case). Are they strict on this, and if so, is there a place to get in line to get in?

tmcats
08-28-2013, 03:55 PM
According to the KSU website, all lots open 5 hours before gametime (2:30 in this case). Are they strict on this, and if so, is there a place to get in line to get in?

i'd get in line.

moosbah
08-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Check neg rep.

These balls aren't gonna suck themselves.

SDbison
08-28-2013, 04:13 PM
i'd get in line. Bri-dog, just join the majority of us over in the NDSU tailgate area at 12:30. We can head over to bother k-state tailgaters 2 or 3 hours before the game.

KC Bison
08-28-2013, 04:32 PM
With the game being on a Friday and not on a Saturday, might the crowd be arriving later in the day?

tmcats
08-28-2013, 04:36 PM
With the game being on a Friday and not on a Saturday, might the crowd be arriving later in the day?

doubt this will be the case. k-state fans like bison live for this moment the year round. they'll be here in mass and it will start thursday evening in aggieville. friday will be a rush to manhattan pretty much all day. don't be late or you'll regret it. traffic is nasty here even on the best of days and currently the town has several road projects underway.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-28-2013, 04:40 PM
So, let me know if this is right: anyone NOT tailgating in the Alumni Association area would be parking in the grassy area east of the stadium (Lot 9), which opens at 2:30???

Just tailgate with the good guys. I plan on leaving right after the pep rally. Should give us some time to check out the KSU area.

PlainsBison
08-28-2013, 05:07 PM
doubt this will be the case. k-state fans like bison live for this moment the year round. they'll be here in mass and it will start thursday evening in aggieville. friday will be a rush to manhattan pretty much all day. don't be late or you'll regret it. traffic is nasty here even on the best of days and currently the town has several road projects underway.

The K state fans will be in "mass." Religious people.