PDA

View Full Version : drove to manhattan today from alex ...

tmcats
08-28-2013, 02:13 AM
today.

watch out for cameras around sioux city. they send you a nasty ticket in the mail. take it from someone who knows.

i29 is good to omaha south of sioux city. on the omaha north side 680 bypass, you'll run into some minor construction, then clear to lincoln. there's 7 miles of construction on 80 at lincoln - 55mph. rt77 is clear to manhattan.

there is a good mexican place in marysville, ks. as you turn south off of rt36, it's on your right - just a half block or so.

otherwise, travels should be fine.

Tatanka
08-28-2013, 02:20 AM
Thanks tmcats

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2013, 02:49 AM
Without any connection, biased against, prejudice against Sioux City....it continues to be the worst city in the entire US. I hate it.

56BISON73
08-28-2013, 02:50 AM
Without any connection, biased against, prejudice against Sioux City....it continues to be the worst city in the entire US. I hate it.

Theres a reason its called Sewer City.

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2013, 03:00 AM
Yep. Can't believe I didn't type that. Worst city ever.

Tatanka
08-28-2013, 03:03 AM

after Detroit, then yes. Agreed 100%

http://youtu.be/Gj7_E5Tpdhs

I'm more than a little surprised that grand forks hasn't done a music video like this, as it would be equally ridiculous.

Bisonguy
08-28-2013, 03:07 AM
after Detroit, then yes. Agreed 100%

http://youtu.be/Gj7_E5Tpdhs

I'm more than a little surprised that grand forks hasn't done a music video like this, as it would be equally ridiculous.

They did. Sorta- http://youtu.be/q5-d2WOgpfQ

SamsRams
08-28-2013, 03:58 AM
I believe Maryville also has a Sonic..............just sayin

Bison 4 Life
08-28-2013, 05:04 AM
Should be an easy drive west for me. Got stuck working that morning so won't be able to hit Manhattan until 2ish or so.

My friend's hitting Larryville on Thu night and we're hitting Mass st. That should be fun.

LikeMothers
08-28-2013, 06:08 AM

My dad calls it the armpit of the universe.

MN_Moose
08-28-2013, 11:08 AM
If anyone does drive through Marysville, check out their football filed. It's a very unique natural stone venue that was built by CCC / WPA in the 1930's
http://marysvillestadiumrestoration.org/stadium-history/

I believe Maryville also has a Sonic..............just sayin

IzzyFlexion
08-28-2013, 11:25 AM
If anyone does drive through Marysville, check out their football filed. It's a very unique natural stone venue that was built by CCC / WPA in the 1930's

Poor trainers.

http://www.albionnewsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/web-7-17-football-field-project.jpg

-this ridiculously stupid one-liner and accompanying picture was brought to you by a total idiot.

tmcats
08-28-2013, 03:09 PM

the marysville football field is on your left as you swing south on rt77. the mexican restaurant i earlier suggested is on your right as you turn the corner south. there's also a nice pony express memorial as you enter marysville on the right hand side. south of town you'll see an oregon trail marker. pretty ride through the flint hills down to manhattan.

NDSU
08-28-2013, 04:02 PM
does anyone know if there is construction between junction city and manhatten?

tmcats
08-28-2013, 04:05 PM
does anyone know if there is construction between junction city and manhatten?

yes. k-18 is still under construction. arrive very early if you're coming from the west. it will be backed way back on i70. you might even want to head north early and come in a circuitous route.

bri-dog
08-28-2013, 04:16 PM
yes. k-18 is still under construction. arrive very early if you're coming from the west. it will be backed way back on i70. you might even want to head north early and come in a circuitous route.

Is it that bad? I'll be driving in from Denver at 7:30 - 8:00ish PM tomorrow night. Will construction be bad enough to justify some extra 2-lane miles?

tmcats
08-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Is it that bad? I'll be driving in from Denver at 7:30 - 8:00ish PM tomorrow night. Will construction be bad enough to justify some extra 2-lane miles?

you should be fine at that hour. the problem will be friday - all day. also, when ft. riley empties, it gets messy. but thursday night at that time should/will be fine. be safe.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-28-2013, 04:59 PM
today.

watch out for cameras around sioux city. they send you a nasty ticket in the mail. take it from someone who knows.i29 is good to omaha south of sioux city. on the omaha north side 680 bypass, you'll run into some minor construction, then clear to lincoln. there's 7 miles of construction on 80 at lincoln - 55mph. rt77 is clear to manhattan.

there is a good mexican place in marysville, ks. as you turn south off of rt36, it's on your right - just a half block or so.

otherwise, travels should be fine.

LOL at out of state camera tickets. If you never plan on going back to the state that issued the ticket, just don't pay it. What are they going to do, extradite you from you home state for a speeding ticket? I think not.

NDSU
08-28-2013, 05:00 PM
you should be fine at that hour. the problem will be friday - all day. also, when ft. riley empties, it gets messy. but thursday night at that time should/will be fine. be safe.

how early will it start to backup? if before 2pm, what route do you suggest?

tmcats
08-28-2013, 05:00 PM
LOL at out of state camera tickets. If you never plan on going back to the state that issued the ticket, just don't pay it. What are they going to do, extradite you from you home state for a speeding ticket? I think not.

i'm not one to run from my errors.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-28-2013, 05:05 PM
i'm not one to run from my errors.

Well yes, but I don't consider speed traps designed specifically to snare unsuspecting out-of-staters fair play.

Just say'in.

tmcats
08-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Well yes, but I don't consider speed traps designed specifically to snare unsuspecting out-of-staters fair play.

Just say'in.

i wrote their local fish wrap and told them as much. i also said to never expect me to ever spend another dime in their town so spend the $168 wisely. a'hats!

Tatanka
08-28-2013, 05:22 PM
i wrote their local fish wrap and told them as much. i also said to never expect me to ever spend another dime in their town so spend the $168 wisely. a'hats!

I actually apply that policy to the entire state of Iowa. Except when necessary for Bison football. And the game vs KU was the first money spent in Kansas although thankfully was able to gas up and stay in Missouri. So I suppose tomorrow will be another deviation from policy. I feel shame.

DomeFieldAdvantage
08-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Was ticketed there on my "FRISCO" trip in 2012---had advice from 3 different lawyers who I know & all said the same thing----if you don't intend on buying or owning anthing in Iowa in the near future don't pay the ticket---so I didn't---haven't heard a thing in over 2 years. I thought it was kind of ironic that a city/state would create this speed (trap) if you want to call it that to create revenue but the billing came from Cleveland, OH.??? If I get pulled over by a H.P. I'm paying the ticket, if I recall just about everyone that was picked up the first year had citations of 71 mph in a 55, I know those were B.S. cuz I would have been going all of 80 at the time of night I went through there---no traffic at all.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Was ticketed there on my "FRISCO" trip in 2012---had advice from 3 different lawyers who I know & all said the same thing----if you don't intend on buying or owning anthing in Iowa in the near future don't pay the ticket---so I didn't---haven't heard a thing in over 2 years. I thought it was kind of ironic that a city/state would create this speed (trap) if you want to call it that to create revenue but the billing came from Cleveland, OH.??? If I get pulled over by a H.P. I'm paying the ticket, if I recall just about everyone that was picked up the first year had citations of 71 mph in a 55, I know those were B.S. cuz I would have been going all of 80 at the time of night I went through there---no traffic at all.

Preach on.

Herd80
08-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Question for TM: if one can't get to Manhattan until 5:00 or so on Friday, how tough will it be getting to the stadium area from the north (24). Any suggestions?

tmcats
08-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Question for TM: if one can't get to Manhattan until 5:00 or so on Friday, how tough will it be getting to the stadium area from the north (24). Any suggestions?

you'll be in a jam. i suggest you come in and look how backed-up the first exit is into the city - that would be on the north side. if it's really bad, continue on to the east entrance, about 5 miles. it's six of one, half dozen of the other kind of call on your part.

other choice would be to take the 'keats' exit before your reach the manhattan exit. go south to keats and come in from the west on what will become anderson in manhattan.

let me know if this makes sense of not.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=manhattan,+ks+map&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x87bdb7ef44c3632d:0xa9185d487312c7ef,Manhat tan,+KS&gl=us&ei=_TceUprVKKTK2AWFzoDYCA&ved=0CC4Q8gEwAA

NDSU_grad
08-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Does it make sense to jump on 77 at Sioux City instead of going to Omaha? It looks like it cuts off about 30 miles and you avoid Omaha traffic.

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2013, 06:19 PM

Um it's Iowa..you'll need to visit Iowa if you plan on driving to Frisco or wherever south

tmcats
08-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Does it make sense to jump on 77 at Sioux City instead of going to Omaha? It looks like it cuts off about 30 miles and you avoid Omaha traffic.

77 is not the best way but an alternate if you're sick of i29. the latter is solid all the way from sioux city to omaha. and omaha is fine as long as you avoid drive time. great road down to lincoln.

KSBisonFan
08-28-2013, 07:04 PM

Just say'in.

At least Iowa uses the speed trap funds to maintain some of the best highways in the country......There's not enough purple in the world for the preceding statement.

Blue
08-28-2013, 07:04 PM
you'll be in a jam. i suggest you come in and look how backed-up the first exit is into the city - that would be on the north side. if it's really bad, continue on to the east entrance, about 5 miles. it's six of one, half dozen of the other kind of call on your part.

other choice would be to take the 'keats' exit before your reach the manhattan exit. go south to keats and come in from the west on what will become anderson in manhattan.

let me know if this makes sense of not.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=manhattan,+ks+map&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x87bdb7ef44c3632d:0xa9185d487312c7ef,Manhat tan,+KS&gl=us&ei=_TceUprVKKTK2AWFzoDYCA&ved=0CC4Q8gEwAA
I'm not sure how effective this is but one could turn on KS113 North of town at US24 and before the Tuttle Creek Lake Turnoff and turn off at the Kimball exit and head east towards campus?

tmcats
08-28-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure how effective this is but one could turn on KS113 North of town at US24 and before the Tuttle Creek Lake Turnoff and turn off at the Kimball exit and head east towards campus?

that's the main north entrance into manhattan.

BisonTeacher
08-28-2013, 07:57 PM
My dad calls it the armpit of the universe.

I thought that was Gary, Indiana?