PDA

View Full Version : Is the Gateway really a good idea?

silkamilkamonico
11-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Of course it is, and no, I'm not starting this topic because of the miserable UCDavis game at half.

But consider if we did get invited to the Gateway. The Gateway is reguarded as one of the best, if not the #1 D1AA conference year in and year out. Tough, tough teams and wins are hard to come by.

Conference games alone are going to be tough. With the ties NDSU has, consider the nonconference schedules. Possibly a D1AA team like UofM, or other, and other top notch teams like UCDavis, Cal-Poly, the Montanas, etc.

I love the idea that NDSU wil.l be playing this top notch competition week in and out, but I'm not so sure we should put alot of weight in playoffs every year.

It's an interesting debate, and yes I think it shouldn't matter because NDSU is a CLass A program, but a few slip ups in some games, we could kiss the playoffs goodbye with even the best of NDSU teams.

tcbison
11-04-2006, 11:41 PM
NDSU plays the best competition that they can. The Gateway conference is a dream come true! Can't wait for it.

Gully
11-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Gateway is a great idea....best case scenario for NDSU.

max_cool
11-04-2006, 11:53 PM
if we were in a cupcake conference and were damn near guaranteed to win it every year and go to the playoffs, there is no way we would be prepared for the level of competition in the playoffs. being in a tough conference will keep us "honest" it will make sure that we only make the playoffs when we have a national championship caliber team. That's a good thing.

BisonBryce
11-04-2006, 11:55 PM
it's a great idea. i thought the kentucky decision was thurs/fri...did that officially occur?

Bisonguy
11-04-2006, 11:57 PM
it's a great idea. *i thought the kentucky decision was thurs/fri...did that officially occur?
Done deal. WKU is moving to DI-A.

kchats
11-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Division I-AA playoffs are much different than division II. Teams usually have some losses going into the playoffs. Gateway is the place to be. Great West has some great teams but 5 teams isn't really a conference. I wish UCD and Cal-Poly could be a part of it too.

broke_back_mnt
11-05-2006, 12:20 AM
If the Gateway is going to expand like everybody says they should maybe they should add the Great Land Grants and UCD and Cal Poly? * 8-)

imported_admin
11-05-2006, 12:24 AM
If the Gateway is going to expand like everybody says they should maybe they should add the Great Land Grants and UCD and Cal Poly? * 8-)

Hmm, that would make sense except that if they are going past 9 they have to go to 12 (I think) so you'd need to add Southern Utah. The problem is which current Gateway team gets stuck out in the "west division" under that scenario?

kchats
11-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Northern Iowa or Western Illinois. Although that isn't likely since they only asked for institutional profiles from NDSU and SDSU. I think football conferences perfect number is 9 and that is what NDSU and SDSU bring them to. (4 home and 4 road conference games and it leaves 3 out of conference games)

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-05-2006, 01:35 AM
I like the 9 team conference idea. You have eight conference games a year and most importantly in my mind, you play everyone, EVERY year. I hate it when occaisionally some team will throw up a good season and win the conference, when they are inferior to another team that they never played. This way, you have to win to win the conference championship and the scheduler can't bail you out. Nine team Gateway is the way for NDSU to go.

GFBisonFan
11-05-2006, 01:42 AM
is the gateway a good idea-that is retarded.

BRING ON THE COMPETITION!!

broke_back_mnt
11-05-2006, 02:07 AM
If it happened, the existing team that has to join the west should get travel allowance from the others in the west division. *I dont have any problem with that.

Jdubs21
11-05-2006, 02:41 AM
yeah get in hte toughest confrence and prove we are the best team...u gain more respect by being the top of a good confrence...not by being the best of a not so good one although the great west isnt filled with bad teams either

No_Skill
11-05-2006, 02:47 AM
yeah get in hte toughest confrence and prove we are the best team...u gain more respect by being the top of a good confrence...not by being the best of a not so good one although the great west isnt filled with bad teams either

Last I checked, the GWFC was ranked #1 in DI-AA.

silkamilkamonico
11-05-2006, 03:24 AM
is the gateway a good idea-that is retarded.

BRING ON THE COMPETITION!!

It's not retarted. Your just missing the point of the thread.

I personally think it's a great idea too, and like what someone pointed out, the best possible competition throughout the season will make a playoff team ready for that calibur football.

silkamilkamonico
11-05-2006, 03:26 AM
Division I-AA playoffs are much different than division II. *Teams usually have some losses going into the playoffs. *Gateway is the place to be. *Great West has some great teams but 5 teams isn't really a conference. *I wish UCD and Cal-Poly could be a part of it too.

It's an interesting point.

I would be curious to know how many losses a team can have, or has had over the years in D1AA playoffs, to be considered borderline in, or out, of the playoffs if they did not recieve an automatic bid.

kchats
11-05-2006, 03:28 AM
Northern Iowa had 3 or 4 losses last year and made it to the Championship game. I saw them lose at Missouri State when their QB got hurt.

NDSUstudent
11-05-2006, 04:39 AM
My problem with the Great West is all the travel, NDSU has traveled everywhere this year and if we had a low seed we would be traveling all over in the playoffs. Travel isn't exactly a piece of cake in the Gateway but it's not nearly as bad. Also with the Gateway I could actually afford to go on a road trip, UNI wouldn't be too bad and ISU and SIU are doable.

Throw in the fact that the Gateway usually gets three teams in the playoffs, provides 8 conference games making scheduling way easier, and could even possibly open a door to the MVC sometime down the road and this decision is a slam dunk. I love the Cali schools but the Gateway just makes too much sense to possibly say no.

Bisonguy
11-05-2006, 04:42 AM
Division I-AA playoffs are much different than division II. *Teams usually have some losses going into the playoffs. *Gateway is the place to be. *Great West has some great teams but 5 teams isn't really a conference. *I wish UCD and Cal-Poly could be a part of it too.

It's an interesting point.

I would be curious to know how many losses a team can have, or has had over the years in D1AA playoffs, to be considered borderline in, or out, of the playoffs if they did not recieve an automatic bid.

Championship Selection
[Reference: Bylaws 31.01.2, 31.01.3 and 31.3 in the NCAA Manual.]
At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I-AA football committee, assisted by
four regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.
The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to
complete the bracket;
2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one
conference;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of
schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of
not being selected;
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all
Division I opponents; and
5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.

CaBisonFan
11-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Of course it is, and no, I'm not starting this topic because of the miserable UCDavis game at half.

But consider if we did get invited to the Gateway. *The Gateway is reguarded as one of the best, if not the *#1 D1AA conference year in and year out. *Tough, tough teams and wins are hard to come by.

Conference games alone are going to be tough. *With the ties NDSU has, consider the nonconference schedules. *Possibly a D1AA team like UofM, or other, and other top notch teams like UCDavis, Cal-Poly, the Montanas, etc.

I love the idea that NDSU wil.l be playing this top notch competition week in and out, but I'm not so sure we should put alot of weight in playoffs every year. *

It's an interesting debate, and yes I think it shouldn't matter because NDSU is a CLass A program, but a few slip ups in some games, we could kiss the playoffs goodbye with even the best of NDSU teams.

I don't like the idea of leaving the Great West...but if getting those 4 homes games in the conference will give some consistency to the schedule, I don't see how SU can turn it down. *It's a catch-22 in a way. *It's my opinion that Cal Poly will move up to DI-A as soon as they're allowed to. *UC Davis could possibly be in the same mind-set. *I think that they would prefer playing California teams like Fresno State, Long Beach St., Fullerton St., UCR (which is bringing back its football program), and others. *There are approximately 45 state universities in California. *Cal Poly & UC Davis will feel inclined to join their California peers when it's possible. *There's plenty of talent to recruit in the region. *The future of the Great West is uncertain, even without the possibility of SDSU and NDSU leaving. *I could be wrong...but that's what I see. *The Gateway would provide instant stability....and at least 4 meaningful home games each year. *SU will accept an invitation....with some reluctance. *