PDA

View Full Version : KSTATER here: Curious how the KSU game stacks up with your all time big games?

KSTATER
08-18-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm not looking for compliments. I'm genuinely curious how this game ranks in your mind as far as importance. You have won 10 natl championships so you understand what it means replay in big games. I assume this is the biggest FBS game you've played. Where would it rank including your NC games? Just asking for a Bison perspective as we approach the game, how big is it really for you guys? Would a win be bigger than a NC? Hope it's not an offensive question, just looking for perspective. Maybe its apples and oranges comparing a NC game and this one. being NC in anything at any level is an amazing accomplishment? Beating us is perhaps more a pride and satisfaction issue. By the way, the weather forecast is for 86 high that day, low in the 60's which in Kansas means it might be snowing or 98. Check the night before. Thank you

Bison 4 Life
08-18-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm not looking for compliments. I'm genuinely curious how this game ranks in your mind as far as importance. You have won 10 natl championships so you understand what it means replay in big games. I assume this is the biggest FBS game you've played. Where would it rank including your NC games? Just asking for a Bison perspective as we approach the game, how big is it really for you guys? Would a win be bigger than a NC? Hope it's not an offensive question, just looking for perspective. Thanks. By the way, the weather forecast is for 86 high that day, low in the 60's which in Kansas means it might be snowing or 98. Check the night before. Thank you

No.

Ten Char.

56BISON73
08-18-2013, 11:45 PM
I'm not looking for compliments. I'm genuinely curious how this game ranks in your mind as far as importance. You have won 10 natl championships so you understand what it means replay in big games. I assume this is the biggest FBS game you've played. Where would it rank including your NC games? Just asking for a Bison perspective as we approach the game, how big is it really for you guys? Would a win be bigger than a NC? Hope it's not an offensive question, just looking for perspective. Maybe its apples and oranges comparing a NC game and this one. being NC in anything at any level is an amazing accomplishment? Beating us is perhaps more a pride and satisfaction issue. By the way, the weather forecast is for 86 high that day, low in the 60's which in Kansas means it might be snowing or 98. Check the night before. Thank you

I think its a Big game for us. Playoff games and NC games are more important.

gumby013
08-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Playing FBS teams is like playing with house money.

TAILG8R
08-18-2013, 11:56 PM

I agree and I think the vast majority of Bison fans would think the same. Playoff games and of course national championship games are way bigger. I would personally even say that conference games against the right opponent( UNI and SDSU) are just as big or bigger. Playing an FBS team, even a higher level one, is exactly what gumby said "like playing with house money".

tjbison
08-19-2013, 12:11 AM
it's getting right up there for highest Pre game thread count....that's for sure

as far as the game, ill take playoffs and Frisco anyday over a single FBS game or bowl game

HerdBot
08-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Make no mistake its the biggest FBS game we have played and it will come with great media coverage,but in the grand scheme of things, its a non conference game in we ek 1. Both teams will look much different toward tbe end of the year. Its an opportunity to see how we stack up. I've witnessed wins over FBS teams and I can tell you it doesn't come close to a National Championship. The playoffs are more intense because if you lose there is no next week

td577
08-19-2013, 02:32 AM
This will rank as the best FBS win the Bison will have. It will fall right under NC games and some other playoff games. There might even be a few regular season conference games in there because of their magnitude at the time. So I would say it would be a top 20 game in Bison history when we win. It will mean nothing if a championship season doesn't follow.

MHDBisonfan
08-19-2013, 02:51 AM
It very likely will be the best opponent we've ever faced as far as putting talent on the field. I would rank ALL of our playoffs above it. And since that is the case, most Bison fans would say then that all of our conference games are more important. I think the "wow" factor of playing a team from the Big 10 or Big 12 or whatever has worn off over the last few years as we've become playoff eligible. Don't get me wrong, it's an exciting and interesting matchup for us, but in all honesty, it's near the bottom of "important" games for us this season. We're trying to win every game, including KSU, to get the top seed in the playoffs, and barring that, to win our conference for the auto-bid into the playoffs.

Bison 4 Life
08-19-2013, 02:54 AM
I was being intentionally brief but I think I need to elaborate. This is not in any way as big as a NC game. A lot of KSU posters think this is our Super Bowl. We actually have a Super Bowl and this is a pretty sweet road trip and a great payday but is at its core still a non conference road game. If NDSU loses, they will just kick the crap out of Ferris and Delaware state and get ready for the MVFC schedule.

If NDSU wins and they don't make the playoffs, this will be considered a disaster of a season.

stevdock
08-19-2013, 03:02 AM
Am I wrong to think this KSU game is very similar to the Montana game in 2002?

North Side
08-19-2013, 03:04 AM
GA Southern games in the playoffs were amazing. Also the Championship games were good. Minnesota FBS games were good just because they are in our backyard. However, I think KSU will be one of if not the best team NDSU has ever faced and its on Fox Sports One. If we win this game it easily has to be in top 10 wins by NDSU of all time.

Tatanka
08-19-2013, 03:09 AM

I had this same thought...

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

CaBisonFan
08-19-2013, 03:09 AM

NC games and some playoff games are more important. Big games in our conference play are more important.

As far as national profile...this is big. If you recall App. State's win over Michigan...it got some real press. But playing KSU isn't as big as playing Michigan. It'd be a great win for the program. But after that, I'm more concerned with a game at South Dakota State...and with Northern Iowa visiting Fargo. Those games are vital...and they're rivals.

Another thought...I'd rather beat up on Minnesota any day. Border state rivalry of sorts.

dewey
08-19-2013, 03:41 AM

The Montana game was in 2003. I agree with many other posters that have said that the NC titles and playoffs are more important. After all in the FCS it is all about winning the conference, getting home field advantage for the playoffs and then winning the NC in Frisco.

That being said the KSU game appears to be the best of all the FBS teams NDSU has played.

MNLonghorn10
08-19-2013, 03:41 AM
Kstate ranks below Ferris state, but above the University of South Dakota.

NDSUstudent
08-19-2013, 03:46 AM
I don't think this game is bigger than Minnesota in 2007 if you are talking about FBS. Of course it would be behind a title game and most playoff games.

I'd put it on par with the Montana game in 03.

td577
08-19-2013, 04:29 AM
It very likely will be the best opponent we've ever faced as far as putting talent on the field. I would rank ALL of our playoffs above it. And since that is the case, most Bison fans would say then that all of our conference games are more important. I think the "wow" factor of playing a team from the Big 10 or Big 12 or whatever has worn off over the last few years as we've become playoff eligible. Don't get me wrong, it's an exciting and interesting matchup for us, but in all honesty, it's near the bottom of "important" games for us this season. We're trying to win every game, including KSU, to get the top seed in the playoffs, and barring that, to win our conference for the auto-bid into the playoffs.

I agree about the "wow" factor missing. Playing the FBS is about money and exposure. It really has nothing to do with goals.

In the FCS era, I would say no matter the outcome, this game would rank behind some of the losses we have had. The EWU loss was absolutely huge for this program. These guys figured out if you take care of the toughest conference at this level, we can compete against anyone in the country in the playoffs. The key to playoff success is getting through the brutal conference schedule. The last two seasons have had midseason losses that were paramount in grounding and refocusing the team. These last three losses have been paramount in the big picture and take on a larger role as important games.

On a side note. I do think there will be a long run of MVFC teams playing very deep into the playoffs not named UNI. Put SDSU on the other side last year and I think they win a couple of games.

As far as importance, this KSU game isn't really all that important. It is fun for the fans and players to play against good programs, but it is all about the conference and playoffs. When the Bison win, it will be just another non-conference opponent knocked down on the way to the conference schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

MAKBison
08-19-2013, 04:34 AM
Agreed....its fun, its exposure, its a payday, but its not the Playoffs or the Championship. I would throw some rival games in there as well!

I agree about the "wow" factor missing. Playing the FBS is about money and exposure. It really has nothing to do with goals.

In the FCS era, I would say no matter the outcome, this game would rank behind some of the losses we have had. The EWU loss was absolutely huge for this program. These guys figured out if you take care of the toughest conference at this level, we can compete against anyone in the country in the playoffs. The key to playoff success is getting through the brutal conference schedule. The last two seasons have had midseason losses that were paramount in grounding and refocusing the team. These last three losses have been paramount in the big picture and take on a larger role as important games.

On a side note. I do think there will be a long run of MVFC teams playing very deep into the playoffs not named UNI. Put SDSU on the other side last year and I think they win a couple of games.

As far as importance, this KSU game isn't really all that important. It is fun for the fans and players to play against good programs, but it is all about the conference and playoffs. When the Bison win, it will be just another non-conference opponent knocked down on the way to the conference schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

SamsRams
08-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Agreed....its fun, its exposure, its a payday, but its not the Playoffs or the Championship. I would throw some rival games in there as well!

If they pull off the upset, I would have to say it is the most Impressive win in NDSU history. I would not call it the most Important victory though, many of the victories before lead to the opportunity to win this game.

BisoninNWMN
08-19-2013, 11:13 AM
1st game of the year against a very good FBS program. The 'wow' factor in the FBS games is gone now after playing them now for a number of years.

Go get a win!!

Bisonwinagn
08-19-2013, 12:56 PM
The K-State game and other FBS games are like a bowl game not the Super bowl. They are fun and exciting against great competition and receive good national exposure for the most part. However, like most bowl games a win is great, but a loss doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It's more about the entertainment and seeing how we compare to the FBS division teams.

thundarsdaddy
08-19-2013, 01:26 PM

Totally agreed!!

No doubt this could be the best FBS opponent the Bison will have seen, in the regular season, but with the playoff format of FCS, playing with "no tomorrow", leaving it all on the field etc, the excitement is unbelievable! When FBS goes to playoffs then those teams will feel that same excitement. Not just the 2 teams now playing for the mythical national championship, but literally playing for the REAL Championship trophy that no one can deny.

This upcoming KSU game is big, no doubt, but if we only "play well", that in itself will be somewhat of a victory,as our whole season is ahead of us.

Just one persons opinion!

THEsocalledfan
08-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Personally, and I call this my Lake's side, but this is a huge game for NDSU. As big as a NC game? No, but can't think of any others, including playoffs that are more important.

TSCF loony? Yes, perhaps. But the exposure generated by a possible win, and the benefits of that exposure, would be huge. For example, does a kid with an offer from MN and NDSU actually start picking NDSU? Do we get further engagement from alumni in the Twin Cities (no doubt it would even be huge news there)? Do top recruits in the adjoining states start waiting for Bohl to offer to make decisions?

The reality is playoff games don't generate this exposure; only NC games are on par (particularly when you win).

Think about it: NDSU starts walking into living rooms stating, "We have won 10 national titles, and could certainly hold our own with the big boys. Why don't you come play for us, son?"

DePereBisonFan
08-19-2013, 01:35 PM
It's the highest ranked (...yet unranked) FBS team we have played. Because of that, because it will probably be the best team we've ever played, and because of the size of the crowd, I'm very excited for this game.

As a high-quality DI win, it would certainly help us make the cutoff for the playoffs if, say, we went 6-4 the reason of the season. Although I would also like to win to have a chance to go undefeated in the quest for a national championship.

From the App State - Michigan game, we learned that an upset like that does nothing for getting an invite from an FBS conference. It doesn't guarantee an undefeated season. It does count as a playoff qualifying win though, and I guess that's what matters at the end of the day.

THEsocalledfan
08-19-2013, 01:37 PM
From the App State - Michigan game, we learned that an upset like that does nothing for getting an invite from an FBS conference. It doesn't guarantee an undefeated season. It does count as a playoff qualifying win though, and I guess that's what matters at the end of the day.

Yet, what do most folks remember of the App State run. The 3 NC's? Or destroying Michigan? Honestly, before NDSU started their quest for 3, I had no idea App State had done it!

BisonNation11
08-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Personally, and I call this my Lake's side, but this is a huge game for NDSU. As big as a NC game? No, but can't think of any others, including playoffs that are more important.

TSCF loony? Yes, perhaps. But the exposure generated by a possible win, and the benefits of that exposure, would be huge. For example, does a kid with an offer from MN and NDSU actually start picking NDSU? Do we get further engagement from alumni in the Twin Cities (no doubt it would even be huge news there)? Do top recruits in the adjoining states start waiting for Bohl to offer to make decisions?

The reality is playoff games don't generate this exposure; only NC games are on par (particularly when you win).

Think about it: NDSU starts walking into living rooms stating, "We have won 10 national titles, and could certainly hold our own with the big boys. Why don't you come play for us, son?"

I tend to think along these lines as well. I'm pissed that I cannot attend the game and my fiancé keeps asking me why I'm so upset. I keep telling her next to national championship games, it doesn't get any bigger. The opponent doesn't get much tougher. And considering the "new" recruiting states of Kansas and Nebraska, this game will pay HUGE dividends if the Bison pull off the victory. This game is about exposure, future opportunities (recruiting wise), donations, and beyond. Would we gain a ton of top recruits off a win, no. But it's the handful that do decide to come to Fargo that start making a difference.

Hammerhead
08-19-2013, 02:30 PM
The last "rubber game" at Minnesota might be as big as the K-State game just because of the previous games and number of Minnesotans on NDSU's roster. The first win over Minnesota probably gave us as much exposure on ESPN as either of the FCS championships although last year's game did give us 2 plays in the top 10 for the day.

As THESocalledFan noted, most fans of FBS football only know Appalachian State from their upset over Michigan and don't know about their FCS championship three-peat.

MNLonghorn10
08-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Yet, what do most folks remember of the App State run. The 3 NC's? Or destroying Michigan? Honestly, before NDSU started their quest for 3, I had no idea App State had done it!

That's true

Bison03
08-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Is this the best FBS team NDSU has played? Yes, absolutley. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. On the other hand, this may be, arguably, the best NDSU football team in school history. I know the teams in the past, especially in the 80's can make their claim, and I don't mean any disrespect to them. When you look at what this group od seniors has done at the level of competition they play against, I think you can rank them right up there. The big difference between NDSU, and it's fanbase for that matter, is that unlike most FCS schools playing a BSC team, we are not starstruck and overwhemled by the bright lights and atmosphere which comes from playing up. As was mentioned earlier, the "wow factor" is not there. This is not meant as a diss to K-State or their fans. We know who you are, and we respect that. We also know who we are. It's that midwest metality. Work hard, do your job, whatever happens happens. I know our coaches will have them prepared for a fight. Believe me, The players and coaches are not going into this game to just play well, maybe put some points on the board, and come out with a nice paycheck. They are going into this games believing that will win it. Some may see that attitude as arrogant and cocky. It is not. That is just the way NDSU approaches every game, no matter who is standing on the other side of the field. As far as this game being the biggest game in our history; I would say it is but on a different leval. All national championship games we have played are bigger because they are for a title. But if you consider the fact that this game will be on FS1 which reaches 90 million viewers with, I believe, it being the only college game on that night; the exposure of it puts is right up there. K-State may win this game, but NDSU might as well. All I know is that I will be cheering for K-State to repeat as Big 12 champs I hope their fan base will be cheering us from afar as well.

IndyBison
08-19-2013, 03:30 PM

I agree with these comments. NDSU will get more exposure for beating K State than they will for their FCS Championships. But almost all fans would prefer a national championship over a KState win.

This won't be as big as App State over Michigan based on the profile of the FBS team, but it would still be a huge plus for the program. It may help sway some recruits considering FBS offers but most players are going to prefer competing at the highest level possible. The Gophers may struggle but they still play at Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State rather than Western Illinois, Youngstown, and South Dakota.

From a recruiting perspective it will probably help more getting the attention of the recruit because they will recognize the name more. Saying we beat or almost beat K State will probably have less bearing with their decision than the ability to compete for championships and advance to the next level.

Winning this game will be a great thing, competing will be very good, losing will not be a major issue. As an alumnus, I like the fact we seek these types of challenges. It also creates a great opportunity for the alumni and fans to rally around an event.

SDbison
08-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Is this the best FBS team NDSU has played? Yes, absolutley. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. On the other hand, this may be, arguably, the best NDSU football team in school history. I know the teams in the past, especially in the 80's can make their claim, and I don't mean any disrespect to them. When you look at what this group od seniors has done at the level of competition they play against, I think you can rank them right up there. The big difference between NDSU, and it's fanbase for that matter, is that unlike most FCS schools playing a BSC team, we are not starstruck and overwhemled by the bright lights and atmosphere which comes from playing up. As was mentioned earlier, the "wow factor" is not there. This is not meant as a diss to K-State or their fans. We know who you are, and we respect that. We also know who we are. It's that midwest metality. Work hard, do your job, whatever happens happens. I know our coaches will have them prepared for a fight. Believe me, The players and coaches are not going into this game to just play well, maybe put some points on the board, and come out with a nice paycheck. They are going into this games believing that will win it. Some may see that attitude as arrogant and cocky. It is not. That is just the way NDSU approaches every game, no matter who is standing on the other side of the field. As far as this game being the biggest game in our history; I would say it is but on a different leval. All national championship games we have played are bigger because they are for a title. But if you consider the fact that this game will be on FS1 which reaches 90 million viewers with, I believe, it being the only college game on that night; the exposure of it puts is right up there. K-State may win this game, but NDSU might as well. All I know is that I will be cheering for K-State to repeat as Big 12 champs I hope their fan base will be cheering us from afar as well. Good post. Essentially how I feel.

NWNDBison
08-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Wow! So much of what has been said, I agree with, wholeheartedly. Thanks, BisonNation for keeping this thread respectable in answer to an honest question.

My personal response is, each and every national championship is a cap (or a crown, if you prefer). Winning at KSU or even competing favorably is a feather in the latest cap. Timing is everything. If this were the first FBS game NDSU played, it would have more importance. But we're used to FBS games now and know we can compete. The largest impact is probably in recruiting.

tcbison
08-19-2013, 04:24 PM
The KSU game is big when you are talking to people who don't follow the Bison as closely or are not Bison fans. People recognize the FBS teams a lot more than the FCS playoff teams. So from that aspect this game is big and it also fires up the alumni who don't follow every game. It is also fun to beat up on the team that is supposed to win and is in a higher division. It gives us some bragging rights and advances the Bison brand. It is like free advertising for the University and the athletic department.

For the true Bison fan, it is a fun game but in the grand scheme of things the playoffs and winning another national championship is what it is all about. If NDSU loses this game they still can accomplish all their goals this year.

SDbison
08-19-2013, 04:35 PM
I can't wait for this game, but like somebody said in another thread really anxious to see the replay of the game and hear if the announcers give NDSU some respect and equal quality time when discussing the teams. Just not the expected KSU this and KSU that, blah, blah, blah.

tmcats
08-19-2013, 04:58 PM
best post i've read on this site ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
Is this the best FBS team NDSU has played? Yes, absolutley. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. On the other hand, this may be, arguably, the best NDSU football team in school history. I know the teams in the past, especially in the 80's can make their claim, and I don't mean any disrespect to them. When you look at what this group od seniors has done at the level of competition they play against, I think you can rank them right up there. The big difference between NDSU, and it's fanbase for that matter, is that unlike most FCS schools playing a BSC team, we are not starstruck and overwhemled by the bright lights and atmosphere which comes from playing up. As was mentioned earlier, the "wow factor" is not there. This is not meant as a diss to K-State or their fans. We know who you are, and we respect that. We also know who we are. It's that midwest metality. Work hard, do your job, whatever happens happens. I know our coaches will have them prepared for a fight. Believe me, The players and coaches are not going into this game to just play well, maybe put some points on the board, and come out with a nice paycheck. They are going into this games believing that will win it. Some may see that attitude as arrogant and cocky. It is not. That is just the way NDSU approaches every game, no matter who is standing on the other side of the field. As far as this game being the biggest game in our history; I would say it is but on a different leval. All national championship games we have played are bigger because they are for a title. But if you consider the fact that this game will be on FS1 which reaches 90 million viewers with, I believe, it being the only college game on that night; the exposure of it puts is right up there. K-State may win this game, but NDSU might as well. All I know is that I will be cheering for K-State to repeat as Big 12 champs I hope their fan base will be cheering us from afar as well.

BisonNation11
08-19-2013, 05:03 PM

Is that because the second sentence boosted your ego? Multiple people have said the exact same things on here numerous times without stroking your ego.

tmcats
08-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Is that because the second sentence boosted your ego? Multiple people have said the exact same things on here numerous times without stroking your ego.

um, he answered the question without flaming.

OnagaCat
08-19-2013, 05:42 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^
This

BisonNeil
08-19-2013, 05:42 PM

If NDSU does win, I question just how much national exposure this will create.

Remember, ABC owns ESPN and together they currently own college sports. CBS and ND on NBC count little in the whole scheme of things. If this game was NOT on FS1 I would have predicted that Chris Fowler would be asking Herbstreit how good is NDSU? Now that ESPN and ABC are out to crush FS1, my guess is that if NDSU beats KState that game won't even be acknowledged by that network.

BisonNeil
08-19-2013, 05:45 PM

You're kidding, right? If not, what rock did you just crawl out from under :D

heymch86
08-19-2013, 05:46 PM
To the original poster's question. This is NOT the biggest FBS game NDSU has played. BUT this is the BEST FBS team NDSU will have played.

I believe the biggest game was the first game against Minnesota in 2006. It was a game we didn't want to play, we were originally only scheduled for 2007. Coach Bohl even said he felt he didn't have the D1 talent to compete against a Big 10 school yet, he felt by 2007 they would be better equipped. I don't think anyone realized that 30,000 fans would show up to the Metrodome that day. After a 10-9 defeat, many fans realized the better team didn't score the most points. That game, that day, set the expectation for our D1 success.

Now this KState game will be the best team NDSU has ever competed against. But as far as overall magnitude, I don't think it tops the 2006 and 2007 Gopher games. Falls in #3 in my opinion. The 2011 Gopher game, everyone knew NDSU would come away victorious.

Bison 4 Life
08-19-2013, 05:52 PM

I answered the question without flaming.

Hammerhead
08-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Texas Tech vs. SMU is on ESPN at roughly the same time and it may draw more eyeballs than our game unless people are curious to see how FS1 produces a game.

Even though I loved the teams from the 80s (as illustrated by my avatar), I think this team is could be the best since those in the late 60s given the higher level of competition.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Texas Tech vs. SMU is on ESPN at roughly the same time and it may draw more eyeballs than our game unless people are curious to see how FS1 produces a game.

Even though I loved the teams from the 80s (as illustrated by my avatar), I think this team is could be the best since those in the late 60s given the higher level of competition.

For me, the biggest game in the history of the program.

56BISON73
08-19-2013, 06:26 PM
For me, the biggest game in the history of the program.

As far as level of competition in this era I would have to agree. Its kind of a measuring stick to where we really stand.

THEsocalledfan
08-19-2013, 06:28 PM
You're kidding, right? If not, what rock did you just crawl out from under :D

I am completely guilty of the charges. With that said, I am know I am in the majority of the general public on this one......

SDbison
08-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Even though I loved the teams from the 80s (as illustrated by my avatar), I think this team is could be the best since those in the late 60s given the higher level of competition. I agree more eyeballs will definitely watch the games on espn Fri night, especially if FS1 keeps on doing a shitty job advertising the start of the season games they broadcast. So far the only commercial they are doing talks of the Saturday games like they are the start........no mention of the Thur and Fri night games. Could have added a quick sound bite for Thur and Fri games to that commercial.

Bisonator98
08-19-2013, 06:30 PM
As far as level of competition is this era I would have to agree. Its kind of a measuring stick to where we really stand.

Agreed. Much like the Montana game in 2002 and the Minnesota game in 2006. The Bison program has come a long way in a short time!

Scooter1
08-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Mr. K S Tater. Thank you for your interest in the Bison program. I agree with you that this is a big game for NDSU but not for the reasons you mention. With the Big 10 looking at not playing FCS teams in the future, beating you guys may not be in our best interest in the long haul. Having another FBS conference take this stance due to humiliation could start to have an effect on our bottom line. We need your money, but if the only FBS teams that will be willing to play NDSU is Alabama, Oregon (you do remember those guys), and USC... does the end result of beating you guys serve our goals in the future? I say we treat this game like a pro wrestling contest and let you win, take the payday and ensure that we will be able to collect on games in the future.

I do have a question...Will this loss be the biggest loss for the Kansas State program?

Thanks for the weather update...I also checked the forecast and found that the winds will range from 0-75 mph with a humidity of 40-100%, ranging from fantastic to shitty conditions. So, you are spot on. Anyway...if you would like to continue this dialog, you can wait for me on the K state board...I'll be there in a minute.

tmcats
08-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Will this loss be the biggest loss for the Kansas State program?

losing to kansas u. would be the biggest loss in regular season, methinks. the biggest loss in program history was to aTm for the conference championship back in 1998, which if won would have sent k-state against tennessee in the national championship. second, would have been last year's to baylor which also kept the cats out of the bcs championship.

tcbison
08-19-2013, 07:58 PM

Remember, ABC owns ESPN and together they currently own college sports. CBS and ND on NBC count little in the whole scheme of things. If this game was NOT on FS1 I would have predicted that Chris Fowler would be asking Herbstreit how good is NDSU? Now that ESPN and ABC are out to crush FS1, my guess is that if NDSU beats KState that game won't even be acknowledged by that network.

Interesting take. When App State beat Michigan that was on the Big Ten Network and ESPN covered it extensively. I would think that Big Ten Network is some competition to ESPN. I realize that the Big Ten Network is not exactly like Fox Sports 1 and that Fox Sports 1 is trying to compete more directly with ESPN. Will be interesting to see I guess. The difference in coverage will probably be that K State is not ranked in the top 25 like Michigan was.

Hammerhead
08-19-2013, 08:01 PM
That's probably true, but there are the borderline kids who might decide they would rather get a chance to get significant playing time for 3 or 4 years at an FCS school instead of riding the pine and hoping to see some game action as a senior.

I agree with these comments. NDSU will get more exposure for beating K State than they will for their FCS Championships. But almost all fans would prefer a national championship over a KState win.

This won't be as big as App State over Michigan based on the profile of the FBS team, but it would still be a huge plus for the program. It may help sway some recruits considering FBS offers but most players are going to prefer competing at the highest level possible. ...

THEsocalledfan
08-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Interesting take. When App State beat Michigan that was on the Big Ten Network and ESPN covered it extensively. I would think that Big Ten Network is some competition to ESPN. I realize that the Big Ten Network is not exactly like Fox Sports 1 and that Fox Sports 1 is trying to compete more directly with ESPN. Will be interesting to see I guess. The difference in coverage will probably be that K State is not ranked in the top 25 like Michigan was.

Wish they were in the top 25; that'd help a lot. Well, I guarantee Fox sports 1 covers it!

onbison09
08-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Serious question: Was the Grambling team we beat in 1965 more talented? Maybe there's no way to know but didn't they have like 14 NFLers?

marenlee
08-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Mr. K S Tater. Thank you for your interest in the Bison program. I agree with you that this is a big game for NDSU but not for the reasons you mention. With the Big 10 looking at not playing FCS teams in the future, beating you guys may not be in our best interest in the long haul. Having another FBS conference take this stance due to humiliation could start to have an effect on our bottom line. We need your money, but if the only FBS teams that will be willing to play NDSU is Alabama, Oregon (you do remember those guys), and USC... does the end result of beating you guys serve our goals in the future? I say we treat this game like a pro wrestling contest and let you win, take the payday and ensure that we will be able to collect on games in the future.

I do have a question...Will this loss be the biggest loss for the Kansas State program?

Thanks for the weather update...I also checked the forecast and found that the winds will range from 0-75 mph with a humidity of 40-100%, ranging from fantastic to shitty conditions. So, you are spot on. Anyway...if you would like to continue this dialog, you can wait for me on the K state board...I'll be there in a minute.

Sorry. This bothers me because I have followed USC for many years. They're one of the few programs out there who have never played an FCS team. Along with UCLA and Notre Dame. Unless you meant the Gamecocks of course.

Scooter1
08-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Sorry. This bothers me because I have followed USC for many years. They're one of the few programs out there who have never played an FCS team. Along with UCLA and Notre Dame. Unless you meant the Gamecocks of course.

I chose USC for a reason. Thanks for pointing out that fact about USC in my sarcasm laden post.:facepalm2:

Hammersmith
08-19-2013, 11:11 PM
To the original poster's question. This is NOT the biggest FBS game NDSU has played. BUT this is the BEST FBS team NDSU will have played.

I believe the biggest game was the first game against Minnesota in 2006. It was a game we didn't want to play, we were originally only scheduled for 2007. Coach Bohl even said he felt he didn't have the D1 talent to compete against a Big 10 school yet, he felt by 2007 they would be better equipped. I don't think anyone realized that 30,000 fans would show up to the Metrodome that day. After a 10-9 defeat, many fans realized the better team didn't score the most points. That game, that day, set the expectation for our D1 success.

Now this KState game will be the best team NDSU has ever competed against. But as far as overall magnitude, I don't think it tops the 2006 and 2007 Gopher games. Falls in #3 in my opinion. The 2011 Gopher game, everyone knew NDSU would come away victorious.
^^^Exactly my view. Definitely the best FBS team we have faced, but the third most important FBS game after 2006 & 2007 Minnesota.

MNLonghorn10
08-20-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post

Better than my ticket smack thread?

KSTATER
08-20-2013, 01:41 AM
Someone asked if a Bison win would be KSU's worse ever loss. Not even close. If you didn't know, before Bill Snyder arrived in 1989 we were the undisputed worst D1 program since the Revolutionary War. Then D2 schools were clamoring to play us. We lost to Northern Iowa and Austin Peay in MANHATTAN. AUSTIN PEAY for Petes sake. No One even knows wherebthat school is. Sports Illustrated wrote a front page article featuring KSU back in the early 80's titled "Futility U". Once we went three fricking years without a conf win. You could get into any game for free with all the tickets people were unloading. True story at one of our home games back in the early 80's. Some guy put two tickets under his windshield in the stadium parking lot with a sign "Free Tickets". When he came back after the game his windshield was covered with tickets. I personally sat through all those incredibly miserable games, many times by myself because no one would go to the games with me. So...NO... Bison win would not be even close to our worst loss. HOWEVER! If we lose our fan base will be probably the maddest in history because we are like you, we EXPECT to win now. It's now just part of our fabric. You understand that. There is no question your fans high confidence pre game has added a great deal of fire to our fans who want to make a statement to your fans. It's going to be one great environment. Maybe the most enthusiasm I've ever seen for a preseason game. Good stuff!!!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Someone asked if a Bison win would be KSU's worse ever loss. Not even close. If you didn't know, before Bill Snyder arrived in 1989 we were the undisputed worst D1 program since the Revolutionary War. Then D2 schools were clamoring to play us. We lost to Northern Iowa and Austin Peay in MANHATTAN. AUSTIN PEAY for Petes sake. No One even knows wherebthat school is. Sports Illustrated wrote a front page article featuring KSU back in the early 80's titled "Futility U". Once we went three fricking years without a conf win. You could get into any game for free with all the tickets people were unloading. True story at one of our home games back in the early 80's. Some guy put two tickets under his windshield in the stadium parking lot with a sign "Free Tickets". When he came back after the game his windshield was covered with tickets. I personally sat through all those incredibly miserable games, many times by myself because no one would go to the games with me. So...NO... Bison win would not be even close to our worst loss. HOWEVER! If we lose our fan base will be probably the maddest in history because we are like you, we EXPECT to win now. It's now just part of our fabric. You understand that. There is no question your fans high confidence pre game has added a great deal of fire to our fans who want to make a statement to your fans. It's going to be one great environment. Maybe the most enthusiasm I've ever seen for a preseason game. Good stuff!!!

Yah, we are a flamboyant bunch. It's not like we're trying to sneak up on you guys. If KSU loses you can't say we didn't tell you we were coming. Hope the team can back up the talk.

Looking forward to a great game as well. Should be fun.

reformedUNDfan
08-20-2013, 02:08 AM
grambling was the biggest win in NDSU history, and nothing else comes close. Comparing Grambling 50 years ago to KSU today is a futile enterprise, however. The best teams NDSU has played in the d1 era, imo, are KSU, 2006 UM, and 2012 GSU

CAS4127
08-20-2013, 02:33 AM
Maybe the most enthusiasm I've ever seen for a preseason game. Good stuff!!!

This is not a "preseason" game but, then again, I read and take things a bit too literally.

This will be a headknocker from two, very similar teams. Even the so-called "analysts" won't see a Bison win as an upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mayville Bison
08-20-2013, 08:24 PM

There could be a completely different view from ESPN. If/when the Bison win, ESPN could be saying just how much better the SEC is than the Big 12 because their reigning champs lost to an FCS team. Kind of similar to what happened with Appy/Mich - the B1G hasn't been viewed with the same respect since that game.

KC Bison
08-20-2013, 08:47 PM
I'll try not to say the same thing as everyone else. To me, this is one of those games that serves as a measuring stick to see what we stand in the world of college football. In recent years, the first game I thought of was the U. of Montana game in 2003, the second game in 2007 was the first game with the Gophers, and now in 2013 this game. If you remember a lot of people thought we weren't ready to play Montana or Minnesota in those games. Those same people are probably saying the same thing now. However, conference championships and NC games have always been the most important games. Think back to the year we beat U. of Kansas. The memory and excitment of the Kansas victory lasted one week after we get statistically destroyed by UNI.

SDbison
08-20-2013, 09:04 PM
I'll try not to say the same thing as everyone else. To me, this is one of those games that serves as a measuring stick to see what we stand in the world of college football. In recent years, the first game I thought of was the U. of Montana game in 2003, the second game in 2007 was the first game with the Gophers, and now in 2013 this game. If you remember a lot of people thought we weren't ready to play Montana or Minnesota in those games. Those same people are probably saying the same thing now. However, conference championships and NC games have always been the most important games. Think back to the year we beat U. of Kansas. The memory and excitment of the Kansas victory lasted one week after we get statistically destroyed by UNI. Agree about the measuring stick stuff.......although one correction, the first game against goofs in modern era was in 2006.

344Johnson
08-20-2013, 09:14 PM
I'll try not to say the same thing as everyone else. To me, this is one of those games that serves as a measuring stick to see what we stand in the world of college football. In recent years, the first game I thought of was the U. of Montana game in 2003, the second game in 2007 was the first game with the Gophers, and now in 2013 this game. If you remember a lot of people thought we weren't ready to play Montana or Minnesota in those games. Those same people are probably saying the same thing now. However, conference championships and NC games have always been the most important games. Think back to the year we beat U. of Kansas. The memory and excitment of the Kansas victory lasted one week after we get statistically destroyed by UNI.

Didn't last until the end of the UNI game...lasted til it became painfully obvious our offense was not capable of doing anything. How many sacks were there in that game? And does a sack on Mohler count as a full sack considering his small stature?

KC Bison
08-20-2013, 09:17 PM
My point being that those measuring stick games are of great interest but serve of no value in the quest of winning conference titles and national championships.

SDbison
08-20-2013, 09:34 PM
My point being that those measuring stick games are of great interest but serve of no value in the quest of winning conference titles and national championships. There is something to be said of the confidence boost, although in some cases that has led to a letdown. The 2003 Montana game was huge for predicting future success in DI-AA, but it did crap for finishing off last season in DII.