PDA

View Full Version : KSTATERS here: A few suggestions for Bison visitors to Manhattan; restaurants etc

KSTATER
08-16-2013, 04:41 AM
When I visit a new community for the first time I like to avoid the chains and experience the local favorites. Some eating establishments we love: 1) Lil' Grill. Authentic Jamaican food 5 minutes from stadium. Off the beaten path. Ask directions. Very good food "Mahn". 2) Cocobolos: Mexican food in the college hangout area called Aggieville. Local fav. 3) Texas Star: Tex Mex also in Aggieville district. 4) Nelson's Landing: run by the parents of former ksu player and current Green Bay Packer receiver Jordy Nelson. About 20 minutes from the stadium in tiny town of Leonardville. Full of Packer stuff. He caught a TD pass in the Super Bowl two years ago. Awesome comfort food. Chicken fried steaks are famous. Will be several hundred fans there eating. A real fan fav big menu. Huge servings. Fun small town place. Owned and ran by Jordys parents who are local farmers. 5) Brookville Hotel in Abillene, Ks. Best fried chicken in the Midwest. Family style servings. Take in the Eisenhower Presidential museum while there. 6) breakfast places: Early Addition: Two minutes from stadium. Wide menu. Many consider it the best breakfast in town. Second option is the Chef Cafe downtown. Many people think this is the best breakfast option. All of these places are great and local. You won't leave hungry. Have fun.

56BISON73
08-16-2013, 04:47 AM
When I visit a new community for the first time I like to avoid the chains and experience the local favorites. Some eating establishments we love: 1) Lil' Grill. Authentic Jamaican food 5 minutes from stadium. Off the beaten path. Ask directions. Very good food "Mahn". 2) Cocobolos: Mexican food in the college hangout area called Aggieville. Local fav. 3) Texas Star: Tex Mex also in Aggieville district. 4) Nelson's Landing: run by the parents of former ksu player and current Green Bay Packer receiver Jordy Nelson. About 20 minutes from the stadium in tiny town of Leonardville. Full of Packer stuff. He caught a TD pass in the Super Bowl two years ago. Awesome comfort food. Chicken fried steaks are famous. Will be several hundred fans there eating. A real fan fav big menu. Huge servings. Fun small town place. Owned and ran by Jordys parents who are local farmers. 5) Brookville Hotel in Abillene, Ks. Best fried chicken in the Midwest. Family style servings. Take in the Eisenhower Presidential museum while there. 6) breakfast places: Early Addition: Two minutes from stadium. Wide menu. Many consider it the best breakfast in town. Second option is the Chef Cafe downtown. Many people think this is the best breakfast option. All of these places are great and local. You won't leave hungry. Have fun.

Thanks for the run down. Sounds like some good places. Appreciate it!!!! The Jamaican sounds intriguing.

mgbison
08-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Quick question:

We are staying at the Holiday Inn near Aggieville. What are the best restaurant/bars to hit up for some pre-tailgate drinks?

KSTATER
08-16-2013, 08:50 AM
You are three blocks from the Aggieville district where there numerous establishments to pick from. You could walk it easy or drive down but parking might be tight with the crowd, another option is Willies Sports Bar on Seth Childs Rd. Will be full of fans (Willie the Wildcat).

tmcats
08-16-2013, 03:01 PM
walk to 'the ville' from the holiday. it's only a couple blocks east. and the chef is by far the best breakfast in manhattan. in fact 'food magazine' calls it the best in kansas. for upscale dining, harry's downtown is the best in town, if you want to impress the lady. the other recommendations above are spot-on. ike's library is a nice 50 mile trip, if you're into history and the chix out there at the hotel is awesome. kites and texas star are the best joints in 'the ville.'

CAS4127
08-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Staying here:

Fairfield Inn Manhattan
300 Colorado Street
Manhattan, Kansas 66502 USA
Where/how far am I from Agville?!

tmcats
08-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Staying here:

Fairfield Inn Manhattan
300 Colorado Street
Manhattan, Kansas 66502 USA
Where/how far am I from Agville?!

you're on the southeast corner of town. 'the ville' is in the center. you'll have to drive - maybe 2-3 miles. 'city park' lays to the south of 'the ville' - you can park and walk to the district, just a block. you're just a block or so from the chef for breakfast and harry's for dinner. you'll need reservations for the latter. the mall is close but why would anyone want to do that gig? best b'que is cox brothers.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=google+maps+manhattan,+ks&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x87bdb7ef44c3632d:0xa9185d487312c7ef,Manhat tan,+KS&gl=us&ei=3kUOUuWIJIG42AW68oDgAw&ved=0CC8Q8gEwAA

bri-dog
08-16-2013, 03:35 PM
you're on the southeast corner of town. 'the ville' is in the center. you'll have to drive - maybe 2-3 miles. 'city park' lays to the south of 'the ville' - you can park and walk to the district, just a block. you're just a block or so from the chef for breakfast and harry's for dinner. you'll need reservations for the latter. the mall is close but why would anyone want to do that gig? best b'que is cox brothers.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=google+maps+manhattan,+ks&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x87bdb7ef44c3632d:0xa9185d487312c7ef,Manhat tan,+KS&gl=us&ei=3kUOUuWIJIG42AW68oDgAw&ved=0CC8Q8gEwAA

Maybe Harry's should merge with Cox...:biggrin:

CAS4127
08-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Thanks tmc!!

LynchMob42
08-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Cox Bros. BBQ is a great tailgating choice, also. Put in an order, get your smoked meats to go and enjoy at the stadium.
I mentioned elsewhere that there is a free shuttle bus (privately owned school bus) that runs from Aggieville to near the stadium, and back. You will likely run into a mouthy drunk on the bus, so be prepared for that.
I do hope you all, except Sams, have a fantastic time in Manhattan.

tmcats
08-16-2013, 04:32 PM
go to aggieville friday night. it's a hoot. you'll likely see some of this too ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6CqfxzGwAc

TAILG8R
08-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Our band would do that too but you can't drink beer and play wind instruments simultaneously.

CAS4127
08-16-2013, 04:44 PM
go to aggieville friday night. it's a hoot. you'll likely see some of this too ..

The Minnesota Goof's band tried that shit in Dinkey Town the night before our last game with them. They go overwhelmed by "Here we Go Bison, Here we go" clap, clap . . . clap, clap, clap.

In other words, BRING IT BITCHES!!

tmcats
08-16-2013, 05:18 PM
The Minnesota Goof's band tried that shit in Dinkey Town the night before our last game with them. They go overwhelmed by "Here we Go Bison, Here we go" clap, clap . . . clap, clap, clap.

seriously, how old are you?

CAS4127
08-16-2013, 05:21 PM

Are you seriously asking that?!?!? You have acted like no greater than a 15 year-old here AND YOU ARE ASKING THAT??!?!?!!!

Dude, your school is in Manfuckinghattan KS, a town half the size of Fargo. Your beloved KSU is very little different than NDSU, and Nodak>Kansas is so effing many ways. Give yourself a break and look in the mirror--oh, and then kiss my ass!!

OH, THE IRONY ...

344Johnson
08-16-2013, 05:23 PM
I <3 when CAS gets fired up and starts spitting game. Means football season is close.

DePereBisonFan
08-16-2013, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the awesome post! Appreciate it!

OnagaCat
08-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Are you seriously asking that?!?!? You have acted like no greater than a 15 year-old here AND YOU ARE ASKING THAT??!?!?!!!

Dude, your school is in Manfuckinghattan KS, a town half the size of Fargo. Your beloved KSU is very little different than NDSU, and Nodak>Kansas is so effing many ways. Give yourself a break and look in the mirror--oh, and then kiss my ass!!

OH, THE IRONY ...

Yep, maybe 12.........

KSTATER
08-16-2013, 06:03 PM
To cas4127...there are two McDonalds and numerous convenience s tores that sell those pre made sandwiches. Might even find a pecan log roll somewhere. Thanks for adding your wisdom to my thread. And for the record, the official US census lists the Manhattan Metro area as 125,000.

OnagaCat
08-16-2013, 06:05 PM
To cas4127...there are two McDonalds and numerous convenience s tores that sell those pre made sandwiches. Might even find a pecan log roll somewhere. Thanks for adding your wisdom to my thread.

So nice the way he responded to your helpful post.

Wonderful people.

runtheoption
08-16-2013, 06:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6CqfxzGwAc Good stuff. That there is the definition of "college town" to me. I wonder if moving the Homecoming parade / pep rally to downtown on Friday night will lead to stuff like this happening in Fargo?

KSTATER
08-16-2013, 06:53 PM
To cas4127...there are two McDonalds and numerous convenience s tores that sell those pre made sandwiches. Might even find a pecan log roll somewhere. Thanks for adding your wisdom to my thread. And for the record, the official US census lists the Manhattan Metro area as 125,000.
I have never been to Fargo but I am certain I would love visiting there. I bet its beautiful and really great people with some very interesting history and traditions. It's a State land grant school and those tend to be good folks. Since you seem to not be familiar with Manhattan, last week Forbes said it is the 3rd best small city for business opportunity (perhaps one reason it is projected for Manhattan to double in size in the next 10-15 years). The Princeton Review last week announced the KSU campus is the 18th most beautiful campus out of 2000 schools and KSU ranked number one in the US for the happiest students. Good stuff right there. Now, I bet NDSU has some really good bragging rights also which I would love to hear. We live in a great country made up of great states containing great people....well except for all those "University of....." fill I n the blank arrogant people.

CAS4127
08-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Here--let me help you Kstater's out a bit!!

Thanks tmc!!

td577
08-16-2013, 11:02 PM

For the record, F/M metro area is around 225,000.

td577
08-16-2013, 11:05 PM
I have never been to Fargo but I am certain I would love visiting there. I bet its beautiful and really great people with some very interesting history and traditions. It's a State land grant school and those tend to be good folks. Since you seem to not be familiar with Manhattan, last week Forbes said it is the 3rd best small city for business opportunity (perhaps one reason it is projected for Manhattan to double in size in the next 10-15 years). The Princeton Review last week announced the KSU campus is the 18th most beautiful campus out of 2000 schools and KSU ranked number one in the US for the happiest students. Good stuff right there. Now, I bet NDSU has some really good bragging rights also which I would love to hear. We live in a great country made up of great states containing great people....well except for all those "University of....." fill I n the blank arrogant people.

Interesting mention of Forbes' list. By the way, what city is number 2 on that list?

SamsRams
08-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Interesting mention of Forbes' list. By the way, what city is number 2 on that list?

He will answer but only if he can create a new thread to do so

Wonderful people.

What was helpful? The fact that most of this has been discussed in other threads? Oh I know, how about a thread asking us if NDSU should more to FBS. That would be a brand new idea never talked about here

if you want to be helpful go make a map of all the places to see on your fine city. Oh wait that is already done also. Thanks for stopping by https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/0/edit?mid=zLR7ftNTjpVY.kPwbHlOSJofs

tmcats
08-17-2013, 12:59 AM

OH, THE IRONY ...

so answer my question, how old are you?

i served in vietnam, ran several multi-million dollar business groups, was mayor of a fairly large city, and taught management in business school. now how old? you act like a circle-jerk 20 year old, dude.

thank god this game is being played soon.

aces1180
08-17-2013, 01:15 AM

i served in vietnam, ran several multi-million dollar business groups, was mayor of a fairly large city, and taught management in business school. now how old? you act like a circle-jerk 20 year old, dude.

Now you are trolling a opponent's (a FCS team for that matter!) message board...That's your biggest accomplishment of all!

CAS4127
08-17-2013, 01:16 AM

You her than you!

Are those businesses you "ran" still in business btw?!

Also, don't have much of a GASF for resumes or self-promotors. The kind of man/person dictates for me.

That said, thank you for your service--and I mean THAT with ALL sincerity-->trust me on that one my friend!!2987

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison 4 Life
08-17-2013, 01:18 AM

For such an important dude, you troll like a middle schooler.

and CAS is wrong, Manhattan is 1/4 the size of Fargo all by itself.

tmcats
08-17-2013, 01:38 AM
You her than you!

Are those businesses you "ran" still in business btw?!

Also, don't have much of a GASF for resumes or self-promotors. The kind of man/person dictates for me.

That said, thank you for your service--and I mean THAT with ALL sincerity-->trust me on that one my friend!!2987

you're a really bright guy.

CAS4127
08-17-2013, 01:41 AM
Like I said, the kind of man/person dictates for me--you are showing your true colors!! Maybe we will meet in Manhatton--I'm in.