PDA

View Full Version : I-AA.org column

bison_once
11-05-2006, 03:03 AM
I don't know if anyone saw this article, but I thought it was pretty good. *A columnist from I-AA.org wrote a nice article on our success this year and also did a bit of lobbying for lifting our playoff exemption. *It is a bit dated since it was post Gophers / pre SUU, but a good read.

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=81752

p.s. today was absolutely the greatest comeback I have ever seen or been involved with. *AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

kchats
11-05-2006, 03:07 AM
That is our very own Bison Kent that wrote that. Kent always writes great articles.

Bisonguy
11-05-2006, 03:09 AM
Kent Schmidt, aka Bison_Kent on the board, is an NDSU alumni, and has been writing for I-AA.org and wrote for D2football.com for the lasdt season or two NDSU was in DII.

Jdubs21
11-05-2006, 03:10 AM
very good article...he made some very good points...it would be nice to see how far we'd go in the playoffs this year

kchats
11-05-2006, 03:14 AM
It is a shame we don't have Steve Walker for the first season of eligibility. I hope the young QB's are watching and learning from a great one. That calm poised demeanor is a great asset. I expect Walker to get a shot at the NFL. He is so good at leading and making plays as well as decisions he will get a look.

BisonBacker
11-05-2006, 03:18 AM
It is a shame we don't have Steve Walker for the first season of eligibility. *I hope the young QB's are watching and learning from a great one. *That calm poised demeanor is a great asset. *I expect Walker to get a shot at the NFL. *He is so good at leading and making plays as well as decisions he will get a look.

Steve's a good one but the NFL?
Two reasons right off the top of my head that I would question that.
1. Lack of speed
2. His Height, not as tall as they want em in the NFL.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it but doubt it will happen.

kchats
11-05-2006, 03:21 AM
He has alot of qualities that the NFL love. He'll get a look might not stick but he'll be in a camp. If you could put his demeanor and decision making in a more athletic QB the NFL would be all over him. Phil Hansen raves about him. Sometimes the measurables don't say everything about a QB. Joe Montana was a third round draft pick because his arm wasn't strong enough and he was too short as well.

NDSUFREAK10
11-05-2006, 04:56 AM
The column is a little old, but still is shows how we are making our bold mark on the country.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-05-2006, 06:03 AM
Steve Walker is 6'1", 205. Starting NFL QB's 6'1" or under: Mark Brunell, Bruce Gradkowski, Drew Brees, Rex Grossman and Michael Vick. There are probably another 8-10 that go 6'2" so while 6'3" to 6'5"+ is probably the ideal height for a QB, it is not an absolute must. In my opinion Walker earned himself at least a year on someone's practice squad at Minnesota by showing he can move the ball against a major conference 1-A opponent just like he can at the 1-AA level. Might never take a snap in a game, but I'm saying someone gives him a shot at making a team.

Gully
11-05-2006, 12:50 PM
It is a shame we don't have Steve Walker for the first season of eligibility. *I hope the young QB's are watching and learning from a great one. *That calm poised demeanor is a great asset. *I expect Walker to get a shot at the NFL. *He is so good at leading and making plays as well as decisions he will get a look.

Steve's a good one but the NFL?
Two reasons right off the top of my head that I would question that.
1. *Lack of speed
2. *His Height, not as tall as they want em in the NFL.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it but doubt it will happen.

He wouldn't be the slowest QB in the NFL. He continually gets away from defenders, both scrampbling and running, I'm begining to think he's faster than what coach Bohl and others are saying. If nothing else, he's quick enough with his side-steps, has a good stiff arm, and is strong enough to throw the ball away with a d-lineman hanging on him. Someone else compared his height to some existing NFL QBs as well. The biggest thing is I'm not sure about his arm strength for down the field strikes...he might at least get a look.

I didn't realize Craig Dahl was being considered for NFL...good for him.

scottheck
11-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Steve Walker is 6'1", 205. *Starting NFL QB's 6'1" or under: Mark Brunell, Bruce Gradkowski, Drew Brees, Rex Grossman and Michael Vick. *There are probably another 8-10 that go 6'2" so while 6'3" to 6'5"+ is probably the ideal height for a QB, it is not an absolute must. *In my opinion Walker earned himself at least a year on someone's practice squad at Minnesota by showing he can move the ball against a major conference 1-A opponent just like he can at the 1-AA level. *Might never take a snap in a game, but I'm saying someone gives him a shot at making a team.

He might be listed as 6'1", but having stood near him, he's not over 6'.

semobison
11-05-2006, 01:05 PM
In my eyes he is 8 feet tall this morning! ;D ;D ;D

BisBison
11-05-2006, 02:13 PM
In my eyes he is 8 feet tall this morning! ;D ;D ;D

+++++++++++++Whata game ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bison_Kent
11-06-2006, 12:32 AM
What a game and thanks for the column compliments. I really wish we could see NDSU play this year. The NCAA could get a packed I-AA stadium in the opening round, which is something that is not always the case. Montana, Northern Iowa, App State and a few others tranditionally get big crowds but not a lot of other I-AA teams do, especially in Round 1 of the playoffs.