PDA

View Full Version : Perry Suspended for Opener

Vitojr130
08-07-2013, 07:09 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/408403/group/homepage/

:facepalm:

marenlee
08-07-2013, 07:15 PM
On a "positive" note I'm glad to see punishment immediately. All too often you an FBS team wait to suspend a player for an off-season incident against their FCS/weak opponent.

MAKBison
08-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Kid got in trouble got suspended and is moving on....no big deal.

coldspot
08-07-2013, 07:51 PM

a DUI is no big deal?

dewey
08-07-2013, 07:51 PM

Agreed.

Dewey

Bison 4 Life
08-07-2013, 07:55 PM
a DUI is no big deal?

No it's not but he is absolutely getting punished. Just as it should be.

Grizzled
08-07-2013, 08:07 PM
No it's not but he is absolutely getting punished. Just as it should be.

From my understanding talking to a few people he wasn't playing against KSU anyway. It's not that big of a punishment.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
08-07-2013, 08:13 PM
From my understanding talking to a few people he wasn't playing against KSU anyway. It's not that big of a punishment.
Either way it is just an extra week to strengthen the knee.

Bison03
08-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Hmm...how will the bomb throwers like Portly Rob and No-Namer fans spin this. Player does something violating team rules, player admits to coach of wrongdoing, coach suspends player for first game. Pretty cut and dry. Oh, I know what it will be. "Another NDSU player breaking the law......culture of corruption and lack of institutional control.....DI hockey is better then FCS football......yada..yada..yada..

Tatanka
08-07-2013, 09:19 PM
From my understanding talking to a few people he wasn't playing against KSU anyway. It's not that big of a punishment.Do you seriously think that's the only punishment? Perhaps from the team, yes. From the university? From the court system? Not by a far sight.

Ferd
08-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Hmm...how will the bomb throwers like Portly Rob and No-Namer fans spin this. Player does something violating team rules, player admits to coach of wrongdoing, coach suspends player for first game. Pretty cut and dry. Oh, I know what it will be. "Another NDSU player breaking the law......culture of corruption and lack of institutional control.....DI hockey is better then FCS football......yada..yada..yada..

Who cares what he thinks!!

BlueBisonRock
08-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Do you seriously think that's the only punishment? Perhaps from the team, yes. From the university? From the court system? Not by a far sight.

Correct.

Nationally, a DUI costs on average $10k. Check this link http://www.onedui.com/costs.asp for the average cost by state broken down into the cost components.

According to the site:

ND ranges from $7,622 to $10,022

MN from $9,069 to $11,469

IzzyFlexion
08-07-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't feel so good.

http://unrealitymag.bcmediagroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lardass-051.jpg

56BISON73
08-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I didnt think he was going to play due to his injury anyway. Too bad about the dui as there are more ramifications than not playing a game.

SlickVic
08-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Who cares what he thinks!!

Dats right ferd dats right (copyright emmit smith)...always remember these words and live by them who cares what other people think screw em (copyright angus the movie where that fool wherez that plum suit ()

SlickVic
08-07-2013, 10:44 PM
On another note leevon who loves his money always treated me and izzy good at the pickled parrot...its amazing what forign languages izzys suddenly fluent in when some hot brauds trying to communicate

IzzyFlexion
08-07-2013, 11:08 PM
On another note leevon who loves his money always treated me and izzy good at the pickled parrot...its amazing what forign languages izzys suddenly fluent in when some hot brauds trying to communicate

Slicky.....remember how fired up he was to rehab and get on the field against K-State? What a shame. And yes, (to some of you folks).....I realize that he might not have been medically cleared anyway, but that too is a shame.

BTW golfmaster......you're right ..............I can swoop in on many broads by faking different countries or origin. Just ask SD about my Russian persona at Scarlettes.

SlickVic
08-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Slicky.....remember how fired up he was to rehab and get on the field against K-State? What a shame. And yes, (to some of you folks).....I realize that he might not have been medically cleared anyway, but that too is a shame.

No alls I remember is a couple 13 14 chest bumps between the 3 of us and that hot forign bruad u were talking dirty to in a different language...u stud

IzzyFlexion
08-07-2013, 11:13 PM
No alls I remember is a couple 13 14 chest bumps between the 3 of us and that hot forign bruad u were talking dirty to in a different language...u stud

Yeah........I had a few knuckle children with her in my shower that night..........

OK. End of drift for me..............sorry all.

MAKBison
08-07-2013, 11:50 PM
a DUI is no big deal?

In the grand scheme of it all...no not really. Is it dumb...yep! Is it dangerous....you bet! Is it a bigger deal today than it was 5, 10 or 15 years a go....it is and should be. Do a large percent of society have them....Yes. Is being scratched from a prime time game and having to go through all the other things the state and NDSU will make him do an adequate punishment....I think so.

BTW---if the cops would enforce the law at 6pm instead of 2am you would see the professionals in town being arrested verses the kids. but i digress

GOBISON123
08-08-2013, 12:13 AM
:facepalm2:

MAKBison
08-08-2013, 12:24 AM

After that abortion of his TV hosting debut last night, FRP might want to lay low. He actually had good arguments, but his delivery was awful. Funny thing happened last night---rob created a logically consistent flaw to his usual anti HIED argument, but he wont see it. If i really cared I would press him on it, but I don't :-)

onbison09
08-08-2013, 12:29 AM
That made winning damn hard.

Grizzled
08-08-2013, 02:25 AM
Do you seriously think that's the only punishment? Perhaps from the team, yes. From the university? From the court system? Not by a far sight.

Nothing from the school. Regular DUI punishment from the court. Any lesson learned wont be due to coaches or university. I'm telling you he wasn't playing anyway. He'll maybe log minutes a few weeks after.

BisonHorns
08-08-2013, 02:48 AM
This stuff really sucks. I have two young boys and we are Bison everything at our house. The worst parts of parenting are potty training and explaining to them why players are in trouble with the law.

Bison"FANatic"
08-08-2013, 02:52 AM
Nothing from the school..

There will be but we won't hear about it. Alcohol offense means a trip to meet with Nona.

ThunderDan
08-08-2013, 03:36 AM
I really really cannot believe, after all the trouble that NDSU players have been in over the past few years, that these guys are still getting busted for dumb shit like this. If you have lived in Fargo for more than 1 year, it's pretty obvious that the FPD will find you if you drive drunk. I get it, he's young and invincible. But seriously, if your an NDSU football player, and still don't get it....you have no clue and are probably just a complete moron. Did I drive drunk a few times when I was his age? of course. Do people still do it alot? of course. But we were/are not on the football team, and regardless of what you think, those players are held to a higher standard. Now, more than ever with the success they have had. Why put yourself in that position? Buy a damn cab for 20 bucks or call a friend. I'm sure he has many. This is beginning to be disturbing.

Grizzled
08-08-2013, 04:16 AM
There will be but we won't hear about it. Alcohol offense means a trip to meet with Nona.

He's not getting kicked out of school. There is no discipline the school or Zona can give that will send a message. We have a player on the team who got caught smoking weed in the dorms and stole from a roommate and is still around. The school is not going to do anything and he wasn't playing vs KSU anyway.

MAKBison
08-08-2013, 04:22 AM
Nothing from the school. Regular DUI punishment from the court. Any lesson learned wont be due to coaches or university. I'm telling you he wasn't playing anyway. He'll maybe log minutes a few weeks after.

NDSU has a no tolerance alcohol policy---most likely he will have to get an elevation and for sure he will have to go through SU's educational courses and jump through the rest of the hoops they have set in place. Note this is all kept private due to FERPA

344Johnson
08-08-2013, 04:25 AM
This stuff really sucks. I have two young boys and we are Bison everything at our house. The worst parts of parenting are potty training and explaining to them why players are in trouble with the law.

Eh, I was a tyke(still am?) when Rocky was the coach having some disciplinary issues and I turned out fine ;)

MAKBison
08-08-2013, 04:30 AM
I really really cannot believe, after all the trouble that NDSU players have been in over the past few years, that these guys are still getting busted for dumb shit like this. If you have lived in Fargo for more than 1 year, it's pretty obvious that the FPD will find you if you drive drunk. I get it, he's young and invincible. But seriously, if your an NDSU football player, and still don't get it....you have no clue and are probably just a complete moron. Did I drive drunk a few times when I was his age? of course. Do people still do it alot? of course. But we were/are not on the football team, and regardless of what you think, those players are held to a higher standard. Now, more than ever with the success they have had. Why put yourself in that position? Buy a damn cab for 20 bucks or call a friend. I'm sure he has many. This is beginning to be disturbing.

I do not buy the held to a higher standard argument----held higher than who? The Ph.d Student getting 100% tuition credit and a stipend. The student presenting a paper at a national conference, the club insert (name here) president, The work study student etc, the person paying 100% tuition. All of the students are created equal with regard to punishment, you cant have it any other way. The only difference is when you are in extracurricular activities you are subject to their sanctions as well-----that is assuming NW says you can even participate.

ndsubison1
08-08-2013, 04:55 AM

the bison haterz are already saying one game for a DUI is nothing. its win at all costs for bohl. typical haterade and jealousy. one game for DUI is enough. and its against KSU of all teams. Perry is a big loss vs them

ndsubison1
08-08-2013, 05:00 AM
In the grand scheme of it all...no not really. Is it dumb...yep! Is it dangerous....you bet! Is it a bigger deal today than it was 5, 10 or 15 years a go....it is and should be. Do a large percent of society have them....Yes. Is being scratched from a prime time game and having to go through all the other things the state and NDSU will make him do an adequate punishment....I think so.

BTW---if the cops would enforce the law at 6pm instead of 2am you would see the professionals in town being arrested verses the kids. but i digress

the PC crowd now days equates it to murder

MAKBison
08-08-2013, 05:01 AM
the bison haterz are already saying one game for a DUI is nothing. its win at all costs for bohl. typical haterade and jealousy. one game for DUI is enough. and its against KSU of all teams. Perry is a big loss vs them

Who cares what they think, no punishment would have been good enough just as no accomplishment will every be good enough.

344Johnson
08-08-2013, 05:06 AM
Who cares what they think, no punishment would have been good enough just as no accomplishment will every be good enough.

Exactly, NDSU could win a BCS title....and then take on the Super Bowl Champs and shut them out and haters would still be out in force.

WYOBISONMAN
08-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Come on.....the kid screwed up, got a DUI........was open with the coach and straight about it. Game suspension plus the public humiliation that goes with that....a fine.......very high insurance premiums. Give it a rest. Case closed..........

NDSUstudent
08-08-2013, 12:10 PM
I do think one game is kind of light...A DUI should be 2 or 3 games in my book. These guys need to be smart enough to find a ride home if they've had too much to drink. There is no excuse for it.

westnodak93bison
08-08-2013, 12:18 PM
I do think one game is kind of light...A DUI should be 2 or 3 games in my book. These guys need to be smart enough to find a ride home if they've had too much to drink. There is no excuse for it.

Have you ever drove over the legal limit?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Trumpster
08-08-2013, 12:23 PM
With the amount of shit a DUI brings 1 game is plenty. Is everyone forgetting the ~$10,000 and all the shit you have to go though if you get one?

Bison06
08-08-2013, 12:42 PM
I do not buy the held to a higher standard argument----held higher than who? The Ph.d Student getting 100% tuition credit and a stipend. The student presenting a paper at a national conference, the club insert (name here) president, The work study student etc, the person paying 100% tuition. All of the students are created equal with regard to punishment, you cant have it any other way. The only difference is when you are in extracurricular activities you are subject to their sanctions as well-----that is assuming NW says you can even participate.

If you don't think they are held to a higher standard you aren't paying attention. Regular students don't get their picture and name in the paper if they get a DUI, NDSU football players do. End of discussion.

Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

Coach Winters, The Program

Bison Dan
08-08-2013, 12:46 PM
You people are forgetting that K-State was his super bowl. Pro scouts would have measured his proformance against KS more than any other game this year. Games 2 and 3 on schedule are thought away games and who cares if he plays.

NDSUstudent
08-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Have you ever drove over the legal limit?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Not really, I am careful about it. I had friend that lost somebody to a drunken driver and I've known people that went through all the legal issues a DUI can bring. I've always said Bohl and GT need to sit these guys down and make absolutely sure that nobody is driving around drunk. No excuse for it at all.

I can put up with some of the other stuff that has happened but I've consistently taken a hard line against drunk driving and I won't stop no matter who the player is. I believe Jose sat for two games after his DUI and to me that seems about right.

Bison06
08-08-2013, 12:49 PM
You people are forgetting that K-State was his super bowl. Pro scouts would have measured his proformance against KS more than any other game this year. Games 2 and 3 on schedule are thought away games and who cares if he plays.

Maybe he was the one forgetting. I don't feel bad for him one bit, as others have said, if it was really that important to him he wouldn't have gotten behind the wheel.

Bison Dan
08-08-2013, 12:54 PM
it was really that important to him he wouldn't have gotten behind the wheel.No shit Tonto. Not my point at all.

Bison06
08-08-2013, 01:01 PM
No shit Tonto. Not my point at all.

Sure sounded like your point.

onbison09
08-08-2013, 01:11 PM
the PC crowd now days equates it to murder

Well, it could lead to people dying. Not saying at all that he was out to do that but it could've happened. DUIs shouldn't be shrugged off. I realize the fines and all that but one game to me does seem light. Flame away.

RedRiver
08-08-2013, 02:10 PM
One game suspension equates to the player missing nearly 10% of the regular season schedule.

roadwarrior
08-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Most people don't realize how few drinks can get their blood alcohol level to .08

SDbison
08-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Not really, I am careful about it. I had friend that lost somebody to a drunken driver and I've known people that went through all the legal issues a DUI can bring. I've always said Bohl and GT need to sit these guys down and make absolutely sure that nobody is driving around drunk. No excuse for it at all.

I can put up with some of the other stuff that has happened but I've consistently taken a hard line against drunk driving and I won't stop no matter who the player is. I believe Jose sat for two games after his DUI and to me that seems about right.
I want to see some hard evidence that people who blow .08, .10 or even .12 are in fatality accidents any more than the general public. All the laws and sobriety checks in the world won't stop the blind drunk .16 plus idiots from drinking and driving. Those are the type that kill. And they are stupid enough to keep doing it.

JSUBison
08-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Most people don't realize how few drinks can get their blood alcohol level to .08

True, but Perry is a big guy.

Bison06
08-08-2013, 02:47 PM
I want to see some hard evidence that people who blow .08, .10 or even .12 are in fatality accidents any more than the general public. All the laws and sobriety checks in the world won't stop the blind drunk .16 plus idiots from drinking and driving. Those are the type that kill. And they are stupid enough to keep doing it.

For every person who isn't "impaired" at .20 there is another one who is impaired at 0.02.

I am all for less laws, but you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to drunk driving.

Bottom line is drinking and driving is a HUGE deal and I am not sure why some on this board are minimizing this.

You don't have to be blackout drunk to run a red light and hurt somebody in a crosswalk.

http://www.madd.org/drunk-driving/about/

"Americans take 233 billion trips in cars each year. Of those, about one out of every two thousand trips are taken by those who are driving under the influence of alcohol. Yet, almost one out of every three traffic deaths involve drunk driving."

I realize MADD has an agenda so their stats will obviously show drinking and driving dangerous, but it's interesting anyway.

SDbison
08-08-2013, 02:54 PM
For every person who isn't "impaired" at .20 there is another one who is impaired at 0.02.

I am all for less laws, but you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to drunk driving.

Bottom line is drinking and driving is a HUGE deal and I am not sure why some on this board are minimizing this.

You don't have to be blackout drunk to run a red light and hurt somebody in a crosswalk. Just going to point out people run red lights and hurt people everyday without drinking.......due to pure stupidity, on cell phone, texting, reading paper, doing makeup, shaving, disciplining kids in car, over stressed, abusing drugs, too tired, mentally unstable, angered from something, daydreaming, etc............And of course drunk people.

G_Funky
08-08-2013, 02:56 PM
The guy messed up, admitted his mistake, his mistake is being made an example of, and I think he gains the respect of his teammates and coaches by not trying to punk out and figure a way to slither his way out that takes 5-6 months of BS and court dates. Teachable moment - you may mess up, and many due, but understand that regardless of your status on the roster and how important you may be to the team your mistake will not be overlooked. I think it sends a pretty strong message to the younger guys because as someone eluded to earlier, this may be one of the biggest games in Perry's personal career. I think the one game suspension is enough - he came in and said it's on him and he messed up. He knows he was wrong. The guys who try to get out of this stuff either think they are above the law or that they didnt do anything wrong - those guys are the ones who need the multiple game suspension so THEY can get it through THEIR heads that their actions were wrong.

SDbison
08-08-2013, 02:59 PM
The guy messed up, admitted his mistake, his mistake is being made an example of, and I think he gains the respect of his teammates and coaches by not trying to punk out and figure a way to slither his way out that takes 5-6 months of BS and court dates. Teachable moment - you may mess up, and many due, but understand that regardless of your status on the roster and how important you may be to the team your mistake will not be overlooked. I think it sends a pretty strong message to the younger guys because as someone eluded to earlier, this may be one of the biggest games in Perry's personal career. I think the one game suspension is enough - he came in and said it's on him and he messed up. He knows he was wrong. The guys who try to get out of this stuff either think they are above the law or that they didnt do anything wrong - those guys are the ones who need the multiple game suspension so THEY can get it through THEIR heads that their actions were wrong. So true.....great post!

roadwarrior
08-08-2013, 03:00 PM
True, but Perry is a big guy.

Thinking this way will definitely put you more at risk.

Bison06
08-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Just going to point out people run red lights and hurt people everyday without drinking.......due to pure stupidity, on cell phone, texting, reading paper, doing makeup, shaving, disciplining kids in car, over stressed, abusing drugs, too tired, mentally unstable, angered from something, etc............And of course drunk people.

I agree completely of course because it's a fact. There will always be people dying in their cars tragically.

But, that doesn't change the fact that it is against the law and dangerous. Leevon made a horrible decision that could have turned out much worse for him or someone else on the road.

I'd expect someone who has so much riding on the next 6 months of his life(NFL scouts) to be a little more focused.

G_Funky
08-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Thinking this way will definitely put you more at risk.

No doubt - unfortunately that is the thought process of about 80% of people...

MAKBison
08-08-2013, 03:25 PM
If you don't think they are held to a higher standard you aren't paying attention. Regular students don't get their picture and name in the paper if they get a DUI, NDSU football players do. End of discussio

Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

Coach Winters, The Program

Everyone who gets arrested gets their name in the paper---But I get your point. Thing is just because one gets their name slung through the media does not equate to being held to a higher standard. The STANDARDS to which NDSU students are held are the same for every students. What your talking about is exposure---similar, but very different.

80K for a chemistry experiment--- You forget SU's primary purpose is not to produce football players. SU's mandate is to provide knowledge and solutions to issues impacting the State. Again, in the grand scheme of things the implications of that student conducting an "experiment" may be exponentially more profound than a football game.

BTW---I get how sports raises SU's profile, just as I get how being a national recognized research University raises SU's profile. The two go hand in hand which is the basses of my argument----no student is held to a higher standard above and beyond another, they are held to the same standard----why because they are equally important. Stated another way--- No one sport, no one academic program, no one student is more important than the other its the SU Team, the SU Team, the SU Team.

SDbison
08-08-2013, 03:27 PM
I agree completely of course because it's a fact. There will always be people dying in their cars tragically.

But, that doesn't change the fact that it is against the law and dangerous. Leevon made a horrible decision that could have turned out much worse for him or someone else on the road.

I'd expect someone who has so much riding on the next 6 months of his life(NFL scouts) to be a little more focused. I agree except for the focus on social drinking. Go get the hammered drunks......prosecute bars that serve them 20 drinks in a few hours. Give ever increasing penalties for .16 blood alcohol level and beyond.
As far as Leevon goes.........really stupid move. The guy has to have 100 friends that would help him out let alone a bunch in the bar that night that might know him, maybe a few sober, that could have given him a ride. Then there is the cab option. Now he let himself down, and the team, and that will keep him from playing in the biggest game ever. Just a very bad mistake.

G_Funky
08-08-2013, 03:32 PM
I agree except for the focus on social drinking. Go get the hammered drunks......prosecute bars that serve them 20 drinks in a few hours. Give ever increasing penalties for .16 blood alcohol level and beyond.
As far as Leevon goes.........really stupid move. The guy has to have 100 friends that would help him out let alone a bunch in the bar that night that might know him, maybe a few sober, that could have given him a ride. Then there is the cab option. Now he let himself down, and the team, and that will keep him from playing in the biggest game ever. Just a very bad mistake.

Hey now, rather assuming to say he was leaving a bar...perhaps he was spending the night in the arms of a girl from Louisiana and a replay of that night is rolling through his mind, except a scene or two erased by sweet red wine..

SDbison
08-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Hey now, rather assuming to say he was leaving a bar...perhaps he was spending the night in the arms of a girl from Louisiana and a replay of that night is rolling through his mind, except a scene or two erased by sweet red wine.. I thought something not so much like that as I typed my post. Yes, it could be he was coming from someplace else other than a bar.......still could have arranged for a ride. Just sayin...........

roadwarrior
08-08-2013, 03:39 PM
He was probably on his way home from work.

Bison06
08-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Everyone who gets arrested gets their name in the paper---But I get your point. Thing is just because one gets their name slung through the media does not equate to being held to a higher standard. The STANDARDS to which NDSU students are held are the same for every students. What your talking about is exposure---similar, but very different.

80K for a chemistry experiment--- You forget SU's primary purpose is not to produce football players. SU's mandate is to provide knowledge and solutions to issues impacting the State. Again, in the grand scheme of things the implications of that student conducting an "experiment" may be exponentially more profound than a football game.

BTW---I get how sports raises SU's profile, just as I get how being a national recognized research University raises SU's profile. The two go hand in hand which is the basses of my argument----no student is held to a higher standard above and beyond another, they are held to the same standard----why because they are equally important. Stated another way--- No one sport, no one academic program, no one student is more important than the other its the SU Team, the SU Team, the SU Team.

That may sound nice for an NDSU pamphlet or on the NDSU website, but it isn't reality.

NDSU football players are the most visible students on campus and arguably some of the most visible individuals in Fargo. Why do you think the forum puts NDSU players mugshots on the front page of the paper? It sells papers, people are interested in what these kids are doing. It works both for and against the University, mostly against in the case of the Foolem.

The reality is, in the public's eyes, athletes are always viewed with more scrutiny than the "regular" public. It doesn't matter if it's high school, college or the NFL. Society routinely expects athletes to do more than a "normal" member of society, because they are seen as leaders. Right or wrong that's the way it is, I think we could both come up with hundreds of examples that show this to be true. Hell, Adrian Peterson got his picture in the paper for getting a speeding ticket. I sure as hell know I didn't make the front page with my last speeding ticket.

Bison06
08-08-2013, 03:45 PM
He was probably on his way home from work.

Where does he work that they allow him to drink?

MAKBison
08-08-2013, 03:48 PM
I agree with DD being dangers and dumb, but I get a bit annoyed by how some think DD is the ultimate indicator of dangerous driving.

DUI laws are more about generating revenue than saving lives. If DUI laws were really about saving lives, we would not allow eating in cars, take out the radios, and regulate the adult to kid ratio. If you are interested in saving lives, you start with the top issues causing accidents not in the middle of the pack.

Sorry for the rant--- its just irritating when people denigrate and demonize others who makes a mistake or even an occasional mistake, but find it OK for themselves or others to drive around in their minivans packed full kids.

Bison06
08-08-2013, 03:59 PM
I agree with DD being dangers and dumb, but I get a bit annoyed by how some think DD is the ultimate indicator of dangerous driving.

DUI laws are more about generating revenue than saving lives. If DUI laws laws really about saving lives, we would not allow eating in cars, take out the radios, and regulate the adult to kid ratio. If you are interested in saving lives, you start with the top issues causing accidents not in the middle of the pack.

Sorry for the rant--- its just irritating when You see someone rail against the issue then get in their minivan packed full kids

I agree. Sadly, many of our laws are more politically driven than results driven.

Bottom line for me when it comes to these players is this. If Coach Bohl told the entire team to do something as ridiculous as not speak for a month in preparation for this season because that gives them the best opportunity to 3 peat, I would expect them to comply. Not breaking the law, no matter which law it is, shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe I expect too much in some of your guys' eyes. The lesson of self discipline will translate more to other areas of their future than any other lesson they learn while playing college football.

dragonsfan
08-08-2013, 04:06 PM
hes a bouncer at pickled parrot, it was north fargo at 1:45 am? so maybe he had 3-4 drinks and drove home and blew a .09. its unfortunate but he probably didn't put anyone in danger and yes 1 in 7 in Minnesota has a dui cops love giving them out.

MAKBison
08-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Where does he work that they allow him to drink?

Lots of people stop off after work to have a few. which also underscores the absurdity that DUI enforcement is about safety.

Go to the HODO or anywhere around 4-6pm. Look and see who is just off work and throwing back a few. Note who this demographic represents (people with means, that vote and can impact policy). Ask yourself why is it that Cops dont really mess with this crowd. why do they focus on the the 2 am crowd instead. is a 6pm DD less dangerous than a 2am DD.

Sorry in general, the hypocrisy that surrounds this issue just gets my blood boiling.

MAKBison
08-08-2013, 04:12 PM
I am right there with you. My point is made to be more in general than anything.

I agree. Sadly, many of our laws are more politically driven than results driven.

Bottom line for me when it comes to these players is this. If Coach Bohl told the entire team to do something as ridiculous as not speak for a month in preparation for this season because that gives them the best opportunity to 3 peat, I would expect them to comply. Not breaking the law, no matter which law it is, shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe I expect too much in some of your guys' eyes. The lesson of self discipline will translate more to other areas of their future than any other lesson they learn while playing college football.

Bison06
08-08-2013, 04:19 PM
hes a bouncer at pickled parrot, it was north fargo at 1:45 am? so maybe he had 3-4 drinks and drove home and blew a .09. its unfortunate but he probably didn't put anyone in danger and yes 1 in 7 in Minnesota has a dui cops love giving them out.

Making excuses for Leevon using hypothetical situations isn't going to help him or the team.

Unless I missed the details of his arrest, we don't know what his BAC was. Maybe he was a 0.25? It's all speculative

Bison"FANatic"
08-08-2013, 04:40 PM
you start with the top issues causing accidents not in the middle of the pack.

Well one of the top issues causing traffic related deaths is Alcohol. In 2010 a third of all traffic deaths involved alcohol. Making it one of the top issues and one that should be focused on as it is preventable.

http://www.cdc.gov/MotorVehicleSafety/Impaired_Driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

SDbison
08-08-2013, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=Bison"FANatic";750814]Well one of the top issues causing traffic related deaths is Alcohol. In 2010 a third of all traffic deaths involved alcohol. Making it one of the top issues and one that should be focused on as it is preventable.

http://www.cdc.gov/MotorVehicleSafety/Impaired_Driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html[/QcommoUOTE] Then use some research and focus on what the majority of all those deaths specifically have in common. Likely Blood Alcohol way above .08......probably more like .16 and above. Why nail the social drinker?.......totally stupid on governments part, but rarely do they do anything that makes sense.

G_Funky
08-08-2013, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=Bison"FANatic";750814]Well one of the top issues causing traffic related deaths is Alcohol. In 2010 a third of all traffic deaths involved alcohol. Making it one of the top issues and one that should be focused on as it is preventable.

http://www.cdc.gov/MotorVehicleSafety/Impaired_Driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html[/QcommoUOTE] Then use some research and focus on what the majority of all those deaths specifically have in common. Likely Blood Alcohol way above .08......probably more like .16 and above. Why nail the social drinker?.......totally stupid on governments part, but rarely do they do anything that makes sense.

The "variables" that play into an individual's BAC are infinite, therefore the government has to have an established limit...being conservative on that number doesnt surprise me...

EmeraldCityBison
08-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Well one of the top issues causing traffic related deaths is Alcohol. In 2010 a third of all traffic deaths involved alcohol. Making it one of the top issues and one that should be focused on as it is preventable.

http://www.cdc.gov/MotorVehicleSafety/Impaired_Driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

I've often wondered what does "involving alcohol" really mean when it comes to car accidents? Does it mean that one of the drivers had a BAC over the legal limit? Or does it mean that if one of the drivers didn't have alcohol in his/her system, the accident would not have happened as the quote above implies? It would be really hard to conclude the latter. Some people are just crappy drivers; as bad or worse than some that may have had one too many.

It's not at all that I'm ok with those who drink and drive. I'm just wondering how they can conclude that an accident/death is really preventable simply by removing alcohol from the situation. I think its often more complicated than that.

Bison"FANatic"
08-08-2013, 05:37 PM
I've often wondered what does "involving alcohol" really mean when it comes to car accidents?

That really can get thrown out different ways I can definitely see how it could be manipulated in research. The key in the CDC link is "Alcohol impaired" and that comes from the National Highway Traffic Safety Admininstration. The link to that study that is listed is dead but all the other links I saw that the NHTSA uses "Alcohol impaired" they classify it this way:

"Drivers are considered to be alcohol impaired when their BAC is .08 g/dL or
higher. Thus, any fatality occurring in a crash involving a driver with a BAC of
.08 or higher is considered to be an alcohol impaired driving fatality. The term
“driver” refers to the operator of any motor vehicle, including a motorcycle. The
term “alcohol impaired” does not indicate that a crash or a fatality was caused by
alcohol impairment."

That last line is where their out comes and where what you are saying I believe falls. In research as you know very rarely does A+B=C but extrapolating the data to find causative relationships is quite a bit of the time the best that can be done.

This paper shows some interesting numbers and I didn't look real close but it looks like the "casual drinker" .00 to .07 the numbers are in the single digits when you bump it up to .08 it jumps quite a bit. It would be a great study that may have been done to see how much the larger numbers increase the risks of fatalities but the number has to be drawn somewhere.

I agree with those that say .08 is to low but I don't have time to go searching for the info on .10 or .11 compared to .08.

gizmo
08-08-2013, 06:41 PM
"Involved alcohol" simply means that one of the drivers had traceable alcohol in his/her system. It may have been from one drink or a sip of a drink several hours before or it may mean the driver was plastered. In other words, it's a deceptive fact used to manipulate the reader.

Bison"FANatic"
08-08-2013, 07:33 PM
"Involved alcohol" simply means that one of the drivers had traceable alcohol in his/her system. It may have been from one drink or a sip of a drink several hours before or it may mean the driver was plastered. In other words, it's a deceptive fact used to manipulate the reader.

I was not specific when I wrote it as involved alcohol, it says "Alcohol Impaired" and I went on to explain what they mean by that in the latter post.

MAKBison
08-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Without getting into the weeds too far there is a fundamental flaw in how the US categorizes alcohol related crashes as being the cause of traffic accidents and deaths.

Note: There are spurious correlation all over the place. Example, Lets say I am technically drinking and driving and you are not. But it is you that crosses the center line and strikes me. Who caused the accident---You did, but because I was drinking it is officially counted as an alcohol related accident. Another example, Lets say that I am DD and for whatever reason I crash, lets say it was a situation that probably could not been avoided by anyone sober or otherwise---Its automatically counted as a DD incident. Unfortunately because of groups like MADD and their propaganda machines facts tend to get twisted and lost.

Again, I am not promoting DD, I am saying the issue is surrounded in all sorts of hypocrisy.

Distracted drivers are the number one cause of accidents radios, food and children being the main culprits. If you think a seasoned drinker at .08 is more dangerous than a mother taking the local neighborhood kids to a soccer game you are highly mistaken. Both are preventable only one is illegal.

MAKBison
08-08-2013, 07:56 PM
I dont disagree with anything you stated except that Visibility has nothing to do with the level of accountability students are held to. scrutiny --has nothing to do with level of accountability. How they are scrutinized is different than how SU holds them accountable----two different concepts. Other than the meaning of the concepts we are on the same page.

That may sound nice for an NDSU pamphlet or on the NDSU website, but it isn't reality.

NDSU football players are the most visible students on campus and arguably some of the most visible individuals in Fargo. Why do you think the forum puts NDSU players mugshots on the front page of the paper? It sells papers, people are interested in what these kids are doing. It works both for and against the University, mostly against in the case of the Foolem.

The reality is, in the public's eyes, athletes are always viewed with more scrutiny than the "regular" public. It doesn't matter if it's high school, college or the NFL. Society routinely expects athletes to do more than a "normal" member of society, because they are seen as leaders. Right or wrong that's the way it is, I think we could both come up with hundreds of examples that show this to be true. Hell, Adrian Peterson got his picture in the paper for getting a speeding ticket. I sure as hell know I didn't make the front page with my last speeding ticket.

Bison bison
08-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Anybody care what I think?

56BISON73
08-08-2013, 08:00 PM

May be if they weren't under the influence they wouldn't get a ticket. What does 1-7 gets a DUI tell you? It tells me there are a lot of people driving under the influence. For some reason you think the cops just want to write tickets and are picking on drunk drivers. Well guess what== They SHOULD pick on drunk drivers!

bisonhp330
08-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Without getting into the weeds too far there is a fundamental flaw in how the US categorizes alcohol related crashes as being the cause of traffic accidents and deaths.

Note: There are spurious correlation all over the place. Example, Lets say I am technically drinking and driving and you are not. But it is you that crosses the center line and strikes me. Who caused the accident---You did, but because I was drinking it is officially counted as an alcohol related accident. Another example, Lets say that I am DD and for whatever reason I crash, lets say it was a situation that probably could not been avoided by anyone sober or otherwise---Its automatically counted as a DD incident. Unfortunately because of groups like MADD and their propaganda machines facts tend to get twisted and lost.

Again, I am not promoting DD, I am saying the issue is surrounded in all sorts of hypocrisy.

Distracted drivers are the number one cause of accidents radios, food and children being the main culprits. If you think a seasoned drinker at .08 is more dangerous than a mother taking the local neighborhood kids to a soccer game you are highly mistaken. Both are preventable only one is illegal.

in your example (underlined) no it wouldn't be- if the driver isn't drinking it isn't an alcohol related crash and isn't coded statistically that way. I agree on the distracted driving - but as far as the other statement.they are both illegal. Laws pertaining to distracted driving is an offense in any jurisdiction, and written far more than DUI- and that is an easily obtainable FACT. Anyone can make an argument- but its a lot more effective and carries more weight when an opinion isn't stated as a fact.
Perry walked into Bohl's office and admitted he screwed up-shouldn't of happened, but he took responsibility for his actions. It was nice to see someone do that, instead of the trend in society now: its always someone else's fault- find someone to blame. When all else fails- blame it on the Government.

correction- i read your post wrong - i thought the first DD was 'designated driver'- a drunk driver would be coded as an alcohol related crash...because....hold on to your pants- he was drunk ...there IS alcohol. I guess that statement was so preposterous I was hoping you meant something else.

KSBisonFan
08-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Anybody care what I think?

Not unless you're going to start a pi$$ing match with dragonsfan.

southcliffbison
08-08-2013, 08:36 PM
May be if they weren't under the influence they wouldn't get a ticket. What does 1-7 gets a DUI tell you? It tells me there are a lot of people driving under the influence. For some reason you think the cops just want to write tickets and are picking on drunk drivers.

You damn right, 56, I'll drink to that !!!!

Bison03
08-08-2013, 09:13 PM
The no-namers up north are having a field day with this. I guess they think their programs are clean as a whistle. Next time one of them claims the false assertion that only NDSU athletes get in trouble with the law; here is some facts to back up your argument.

July, 2003: Jake Brandt arrested for theft.
August, 2006: Captain Matt Greene arrested for DUI.
July, 2006: Robbie Bina arrested for DUI.
September, 2006: Joe Finley arrested for loud party.
November, 2006: Jonathan Toews charged with minor in consumption and loud party.
February, 2007: Jonathan Toews, TJ Oshie, and Robbie Bina arrested in Judy's Tavern for minors in possssion.
December, 2007: TJ Oshie arrested for disorderly conduct for peeing in an elevator.
July, 2009: Joe Finley and Matt Frattin for disorderly conduct, fleeing from police, and giving false information.
August, 2009: Matt Frattin arrested for DUI.
September, 2009: Danny Kristo cited by police for underage drinking.
April, 2012: Michael Parks cited for underage drinking.
April, 2012: Dan Senkbeil cited for underage drinking and running from the cops.
August 2012: Michael Parks cited again for underage drinking.
September 2012: Jordan Schmaltz, Bryn Chyzyk, Zane Gothberg, and Drake Caggiula cited for underage drinking. Captains Andrew MacWilliam, Corban Knight, Danny Kristo, and Carter Rowney suspended on game after unacceptable behavior at team party.

ndsubison1
08-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Well, it could lead to people dying. Not saying at all that he was out to do that but it could've happened. DUIs shouldn't be shrugged off. I realize the fines and all that but one game to me does seem light. Flame away.

could lead. we dont know what his bac was either

MAKBison
08-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Ill keep it real simple---just because someone that has been drinking gets into an accident does not automatically mean that alcohol or impairment was the cause of the accident. Yet, the accident is still counted as an alcohol related and groups like MADD twist this fact to fit their agenda. These groups just as the earlier poster did use these misleading stats. to suggest Alcohol is the cause of higher crash rates. The fact is a whole host of other variables may have actually caused the accident.

I Know, i Know, these groups will then say how do you account for the strength of relationship in the correlated data----Simple , the variables being collected are incomplete and the number of drivers operating with some sort of alcohol in their system are vastly under reported.

Again, I am not saying one should drink and drive, it stupid, not worth it and yes not safe. What I am saying is think before you automatically denigrate and stigmatize someone for DD, as your own driving habits may be just as or even more dangerous then the person you are looking down your nose at.

in LP's case, I stand by my comments, He messed up, realized it, admitted to it and is moving on. He is being punished for it and he seems to accept that. When your wrong that's what you do---take accountability and chnage. thus, that's that---end of story!!!

in your example (underlined) no it wouldn't be- if the driver isn't drinking it isn't an alcohol related crash and isn't coded statistically that way. I agree on the distracted driving - but as far as the other statement.they are both illegal. Laws pertaining to distracted driving is an offense in any jurisdiction, and written far more than DUI- and that is an easily obtainable FACT. Anyone can make an argument- but its a lot more effective and carries more weight when an opinion isn't stated as a fact.
Perry walked into Bohl's office and admitted he screwed up-shouldn't of happened, but he took responsibility for his actions. It was nice to see someone do that, instead of the trend in society now: its always someone else's fault- find someone to blame. When all else fails- blame it on the Government.

correction- i read your post wrong - i thought the first DD was 'designated driver'- a drunk driver would be coded as an alcohol related crash...because....hold on to your pants- he was drunk ...there IS alcohol. I guess that statement was so preposterous I was hoping you meant something else.

BisonNeil
08-09-2013, 01:05 AM

So, you're calling Bohl a liar?

"But Bohl said Perry could probably have been ready against Kansas State on Aug. 30."

Based on how many times you repeated your quote above in other posts, I'd say you called him a liar multiple times. I guess you must know something the HC doesn't, and that surprises me.

Bisonator98
08-09-2013, 01:20 AM
It's over now, he screwed up, admitted his mistake and we'll move on.

I just can't get over how some of these guys just can't stay out of trouble when they know how much is at stake! I'm not talking about a game against KSU, I'm talking about letting your teammates, your coaches, your fans, your school down not to mention the possible impacts on your future! It's just stupidity, sheer stupidity!!

MAKBison
08-09-2013, 01:34 AM
I get that and am right there with you. However, my realization comes from living a bit of life and understanding just how hard life can be and how few opportunities were really have.

However, put me back in my 20 esp. early 20s and i am not sure my understanding of the implications of my actions were so profound. I think this is true for most.

It's over now, he screwed up, admitted his mistake and we'll move on.

I just can't get over how some of these guys just can't stay out of trouble when they know how much is at stake! I'm not talking about a game against KSU, I'm talking about letting your teammates, your coaches, your fans, your school down not to mention the possible impacts on your future! It's just stupidity, sheer stupidity!!

GOBISON123
08-09-2013, 01:39 AM
This is for Levon Perry and Travis Beck

Saddest thing in this world is the wasted talent....Bronx Tale

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/a-bronx-tale/lorenzo-takes-calogero-in-a-vication/#!locations/

Bison06
08-09-2013, 02:34 AM
I dont disagree with anything you stated except that Visibility has nothing to do with the level of accountability students are held to. scrutiny --has nothing to do with level of accountability. How they are scrutinized is different than how SU holds them accountable----two different concepts. Other than the meaning of the concepts we are on the same page.

Fair enough, but I would argue that the visibility that goes along with being an NDSU football player, becomes part of the punishment. See Travis Beck.

And by that standard, they are certainly held to a much higher standard than a typical NDSU student would be.

56BISON73
08-09-2013, 02:39 AM
This is for Levon Perry and Travis Beck

Saddest thing in this world is the wasted talent....Bronx Tale

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/a-bronx-tale/lorenzo-takes-calogero-in-a-vication/#!locations/

They made a mistake. You act like they threw their life away.

Tatanka
08-09-2013, 02:49 AM
The no-namers up north are having a field day with this. I guess they think their programs are clean as a whistle. Next time one of them claims the false assertion that only NDSU athletes get in trouble with the law; here is some facts to back up your argument.

July, 2003: Jake Brandt arrested for theft.
August, 2006: Captain Matt Greene arrested for DUI.
July, 2006: Robbie Bina arrested for DUI.
September, 2006: Joe Finley arrested for loud party.
November, 2006: Jonathan Toews charged with minor in consumption and loud party.
February, 2007: Jonathan Toews, TJ Oshie, and Robbie Bina arrested in Judy's Tavern for minors in possssion.
December, 2007: TJ Oshie arrested for disorderly conduct for peeing in an elevator.
July, 2009: Joe Finley and Matt Frattin for disorderly conduct, fleeing from police, and giving false information.
August, 2009: Matt Frattin arrested for DUI.
September, 2009: Danny Kristo cited by police for underage drinking.
April, 2012: Michael Parks cited for underage drinking.
April, 2012: Dan Senkbeil cited for underage drinking and running from the cops.
August 2012: Michael Parks cited again for underage drinking.
September 2012: Jordan Schmaltz, Bryn Chyzyk, Zane Gothberg, and Drake Caggiula cited for underage drinking. Captains Andrew MacWilliam, Corban Knight, Danny Kristo, and Carter Rowney suspended on game after unacceptable behavior at team party.

tell it again

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

GOBISON123
08-09-2013, 04:07 AM
They made a mistake. You act like they threw their life away.

These young men need some good role models.

56BISON73
08-09-2013, 04:28 AM
These young men need some good role models.

So those who make a mistake dont have good role models?

Grizzled
08-09-2013, 03:28 PM
So, you're calling Bohl a liar?

"But Bohl said Perry could probably have been ready against Kansas State on Aug. 30."

Based on how many times you repeated your quote above in other posts, I'd say you called him a liar multiple times. I guess you must know something the HC doesn't, and that surprises me.

I'm saying from everything I heard, he wasn't playing against KSU. It wasn't a "probably not going to play", it was he was not going to be ready. That was before the DUI.

What kind of punishment would it be if Coach Bohl said "Levon was not going to play against KSU due to his knee rehab but we are going to sit him for his DUI anyway." Talk about teeing one up for the media and haters. I stand by my comment that he wasn't playing for KSU regardless of DUI.

Bison Dan
08-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm saying from everything I heard, he wasn't playing against KSU. It wasn't a "probably not going to play", it was he was not going to be ready. That was before the DUI.

What kind of punishment would it be if Coach Bohl said "Levon was not going to play against KSU due to his knee rehab but we are going to sit him for his DUI anyway." Talk about teeing one up for the media and haters. I stand by my comment that he wasn't playing for KSU regardless of DUI.I guess I'll take Bohl's word over your hear say.

SlickVic
08-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Leevon was recovered and was ready to play he talked about it all summer at the parrot grizzled and turkey feathers are wrong bison dan right no shock there leevon will be missed vs ksu we needed him badly to play this sucks quit sweatin the minority on a traffic stop why was he stopped bruce quick aka cas get on this find out why they be sweatin

Grizzled
08-09-2013, 05:08 PM
I guess I'll take Bohl's word over your hear say.

If Bohl would have come out and said he was 100 percent a lock to play you'd have an argument but he said he was probably going to play. Big difference for someone coming off that injury.

MAKBison
08-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Leevon was recovered and was ready to play he talked about it all summer at the parrot grizzled and turkey feathers are wrong bison dan right no shock there leevon will be missed vs ksu we needed him badly to play this sucks quit sweatin the minority on a traffic stop why was he stopped bruce quick aka cas get on this find out why they be sweatin

Where the heck is the Parriot---as u can see its been a while since I been out

56BISON73
08-09-2013, 05:35 PM

The old American Legion.

MAKBison
08-09-2013, 05:38 PM
sure---do they still serve food?

Bison bison
08-09-2013, 05:45 PM

The Legion.

Also, it's up to you to make prison a positive experience.

56BISON73
08-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Ive never known an athlete who didn't say he wasn't going to be ready while going through rehab. With Bohl saying probable doesn't mean definite. It also means the Dr hadn't cleared him yet.
Now for PR sake is it better to suspend a player who can play or a player that isn't going to play?:facepalm:

ndsubison1
08-09-2013, 06:46 PM

What kind of punishment would it be if Coach Bohl said "Levon was not going to play against KSU due to his knee rehab but we are going to sit him for his DUI anyway." Talk about teeing one up for the media and haters. I stand by my comment that he wasn't playing for KSU regardless of DUI.

well now the media knows

MAKBison
08-09-2013, 07:13 PM
The Legion.

Also, it's up to you to make prison a positive experience.

I'll forward this to my wife. :)

bisonhp330
08-10-2013, 04:20 PM

I had trouble reading this post so I ran this through Google Translator and it came up with " Leevon was recovered and was ready to play he talked about it all summer. A grisly parrot named Dan shocked a Turkey leaving his feathers sweating on a traffic stop. Bruce was fast so find out why they sweat the cash? "

Ok....the first sentence....but I call off-topic on the rest. :biggrin: