PDA

View Full Version : FB tickets for sale on Craigslist

Boy
08-06-2013, 03:41 AM
So I am looking through CL tonight and I notice that there are some FB tickets for sale. Just wanted to hear everyones thoughts on people reselling their seats for fifty or a hundred bucks or more. I guess I feel that Bison fans shouldn't gouge Bison fans and that if you can't make a game you owe it to BisonNation to sell them at face value to another fan and you shouldn't be looking to recoup money from the TeamMakers membership on them. Am I way off base? I realize we live in a captialistic society, but it doesn't seem right, in my mind. When I have had extra tickets because my kids couldn't attend, I have always sold them at face or given them to a friend. What is everyone else's opinion?

MNLonghorn10
08-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Meh. Im not a fan of gouging people for an FCS football game. If its big time @ a big time venue, then I play the market.

For Fargo/ndsu...i think its dumb.

Tatanka
08-06-2013, 04:04 AM
'murica. That is all. I don't have to like it, but I also don't have to pay it.

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

56BISON73
08-06-2013, 04:06 AM
So I am looking through CL tonight and I notice that there are some FB tickets for sale. Just wanted to hear everyones thoughts on people reselling their seats for fifty or a hundred bucks or more. I guess I feel that Bison fans shouldn't gouge Bison fans and that if you can't make a game you owe it to BisonNation to sell them at face value to another fan and you shouldn't be looking to recoup money from the TeamMakers membership on them. Am I way off base? I realize we live in a captialistic society, but it doesn't seem right, in my mind. When I have had extra tickets because my kids couldn't attend, I have always sold them at face or given them to a friend. What is everyone else's opinion?

They may be asking 50-100 more but that doesnt mean they will get it. I have no issues with people selling their tickets. Many have a lot of money invested in those tickets considering what the donation is for the opportunity to buy those tickets. The market will determine what the price should be based on demand and what people will pay.

1998braves64
08-06-2013, 04:10 AM
What point does it become allowable in those that believe bison fans should not "gouge" bison fans? Some lower level tickets come only with a sizable TM contributions that is only tax deductible for 80%.. So 20% still is technically a cost to the person.

I have always sold mine at "face" or given them to close friends who don't have opportunities to always go to games. I don't have a problem with it.. If you can find someone to pay $100 good for you.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

56BISON73
08-06-2013, 04:15 AM
What point does it become allowable in those that believe bison fans should not "gouge" bison fans? Some lower level tickets come only with a sizable TM contributions that is only tax deductible for 80%.. So 20% still is technically a cost to the person.

I have always sold mine at "face" or given them to close friends who don't have opportunities to always go to games. I don't have a problem with it.. If you can find someone to pay $100 good for you.

Yes you can use the 80% for deductions but you actually dont get the full 80% dollar for dollar.

IndyBison
08-06-2013, 04:27 AM
If the market demands higher prices then good for the person selling. If you understand the market it's not likely the market price should be that high. Some people see prices listed on online ticket sites and get nervous so they buy it. I would actually expect prices could go higher for a home game than the FCS championship game because the demand will naturally be higher (based largely on proximity and related costs...travel, hotel, meals). If someone wants to pay $50 or $100 now go for it but I would expect that will be much higher than actual market price.

dewey
08-06-2013, 04:27 AM
I have no problem with reselling the tickets for an inflated price. They are worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for them.

Dewey

1998braves64
08-06-2013, 04:31 AM
Yes you can use the 80% for deductions but you actually dont get the full 80% dollar for dollar.
I was keeping it simple didn't want to break down the tax code tonight! :D

Hammerhead
08-06-2013, 04:32 AM
I sold my pair of CSU tickets last summer when I got better tickets through the CSU office and sold my pair of tickets this summer and only asked for face value. I've sold tickets for other events where something comes up and I usually only ask for enough to cover my cost and shipping if I'm sending them to some random person over the internet.

56BISON73
08-06-2013, 04:54 AM
If the market demands higher prices then good for the person selling. If you understand the market it's not likely the market price should be that high. Some people see prices listed on online ticket sites and get nervous so they buy it. I would actually expect prices could go higher for a home game than the FCS championship game because the demand will naturally be higher (based largely on proximity and related costs...travel, hotel, meals). If someone wants to pay $50 or $100 now go for it but I would expect that will be much higher than actual market price.

Last year we went to a twins game. They have a thing called demand pricing. For games against certain teams the prices are higher or lower against teams where fan interest is low. I just sold some tickets to Packer Fan Tours. I got more money for the Steelers game than I did the Falcons.

MAKBison
08-06-2013, 05:31 AM
I get it, but do not like it. Give them to a friend or better yet someone who may never have the chance to see a game---lots of kids out there that would love to go and will never be able to afford it. However, Each to their own or as one of my old Profs used to say de gustibus non est disputandum

56BISON73
08-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Problem is until 3 years ago you could find tickets almost anytime you wanted. People were giving them away in the parking lot or selling them cheap. People just arent used to the current market conditions and the accompanying sticker shock.

HerdBot
08-06-2013, 05:56 AM
If they buy tickets and sell them with no intension of using them, they are dicks but hey its a free country. If they go to most of the games and sell the unused for profit I'm cool with it. Better than a blue seat. I funded part of my Frisco trip by selling 3 tickets for $100 each which was dirt cheap. I only sold to people in ND and I quizzed the people to see if they were real. The first guy called with a Texas zip code and he claimed to be from Fargo but didn't know what street the Fargo Theature was on and I asked him if NDSU campus was in East Fargo, West Fargo, or North Fargo... yep he guessed east so I hung up. I sold them to a guy who taughtvme a thing or 2 about the 70s team! Had fun sitting next to himvin Frisco.
Sorry for the drift

Tony Almeida
08-06-2013, 06:12 AM

Apparently nobody is picking up what you are throwing down...I totally agree with you 100%

BisonHorns
08-06-2013, 07:52 AM
The people that bought more than they could possibly need just to screw others because the tickets were going to sell out is wrong. It might be a way to make money but it isn't an honest one. I became a Bison fan thanks to free tickets from friends and since becoming a season ticket holder I have created many new fans by giving away my extra tickets.

stevdock
08-06-2013, 05:58 PM
It is frustrating to have season ticket request denied, then never getting through the online waiting room or from hearing a busy signal on the phone to see people selling tickets at those prices already. I get supply and demand and all that, but it's frustrating to go to stubhub and see some guy having 10 tickets in section 24 for USD and Ferris State for at least $70 a piece.

344Johnson
08-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Helped a buddy win a facebook contest. Free season tickets to the first to answer when NDSU won its first title. Should have two tickets for most home games available since we are students. Psyched to make some cash.

HerdBot
08-06-2013, 06:15 PM
It is frustrating to have season ticket request denied, then never getting through the online waiting room or from hearing a busy signal on the phone to see people selling tickets at those prices already. I get supply and demand and all that, but it's frustrating to go to stubhub and see some guy having 10 tickets in section 24 for USD and Ferris State for at least $70 a piece.

Welcome to big time football my friend. If we have rows of fans who spend 80k on a tailgating bus and 15kI people who go to frisco, does this really suprise us?

MNLonghorn10
08-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Thats not big time, hate to break it to you. Its big time for FCS level...when NDSU is talkin hundreds of thousands, big time football is talking tens to hundreds of millions. NDSU is just lucky to be the only show in a wide range of area.

Its still lame that guys are tryin to shaft other Bison fans for 50-100 bucks more to sit in a cheap blue plastic seat.

HandoEX
08-06-2013, 06:59 PM
I have no problem with reselling the tickets for an inflated price. They are worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for them.

Dewey
This ^

We live in a capitalist society. If you don't want to pay what a seller is offering, what is complaining about it going to do? I absolutely hate this line of thinking.

HandoEX
08-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Thats not big time, hate to break it to you. Its big time for FCS level...when NDSU is talkin hundreds of thousands, big time football is talking tens to hundreds of millions. NDSU is just lucky to be the only show in a wide range of area.

Its still lame that guys are tryin to shaft other Bison fans for 50-100 bucks more to sit in a cheap blue plastic seat.
It sounds like you reverting back to your Gopher fan days there big-timer.

MNLonghorn10
08-06-2013, 07:03 PM
It sounds like you reverting back to your Gopher fan days there big-timer.
Maybe we should start charging drinks on the FC? Capitalists unite!

Its stupid.

MNLonghorn10
08-06-2013, 07:04 PM
http://fargo.craigslist.org/tix/3982821567.html

Yea, im really going to pay 150 over face value for a UNI game. And I probably have to pay to drive out to shitty Casselton too.

344Johnson
08-06-2013, 07:09 PM
http://fargo.craigslist.org/tix/3982821567.html

Yea, im really going to pay 150 over face value for a UNI game. And I probably have to pay to drive out to shitty Casselton too.

watch how you talk about the town that has provided us with 5 governors!

Tony Almeida
08-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Would you rather sit on aluminum benches with 8 inch spacing between the numbers like the rest of college football?

MNLonghorn10
08-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Would you rather sit on aluminum benches with 8 inch spacing between the numbers like the rest of college football?

I'd rather pay 100 to sit (or stand) on aluminum bleachers at a nationally broadcasted game than pay 100 to sit in the dome

HandoEX
08-06-2013, 07:49 PM
I'd rather pay 100 to sit (or stand) on aluminum bleachers at a nationally broadcasted game than pay 100 to sit in the dome
I would pay to see 42-24 losses.

(or 63-21)

Tatanka
08-06-2013, 08:24 PM
What about 52-10?

td577
08-06-2013, 08:25 PM
It doesn't matter what the product is. Just because it is something you love doesn't mean there isn't value there above what was at one time face value. That being said, there is nothing wrong with putting any product out there for whatever price you want to sell it at. There is also no problem for anyone to NOT purchase at that price either.

This is a luxury item which doesn't have to follow any rules. There are no local rules about scalping tickets so if you don't like the price, don't buy the tickets.

By the way, if I wanted to sell my tickets, I will sell them for exactly what I would want for them regardless of the fave value. I didn't come across them by luck. Many years of team maker membership and purchasing tickets even during the lean years to make sure I have them through the good years. Those tickets are worth more than face value to me. While I am very generous to my friends for the couple of games where one of my tickets would be unused, if I were to sell them on the open market the price would reflect market value. Why should I not get some benefit from my work if the market is willing to reward me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNLonghorn10
08-06-2013, 08:42 PM
What about 52-10?

I already paid 240 to see 6 potential 52-10 losses this year

MNLonghorn10
08-06-2013, 08:43 PM
I would pay to see 42-24 losses.

(or 63-21)

Mizzou fans better get used to paying to watch a ton of losses

MAKBison
08-06-2013, 09:08 PM

I guess I have never really liked the buying more tickets than you need to make a buck process. Again, there is nothing illegal about it and you can justify it morally if you use a pure capitalist justification. However, like everything there are shades of gray. For me its not something I really like to associate myself with. Like I said to each its own. Its just not for me.

SamsRams
08-06-2013, 09:45 PM
I guess I have never really liked the buying more tickets than you need to make a buck process. Again, there is nothing illegal about it and you can justify it morally if you use a pure capitalist justification. However, like everything there are shades of gray. For me its not something I really like to associate myself with. Like I said to each its own. Its just not for me.

I cant imagine there is much of that going on. Now I do believe people are buying too many season tickets in order to improve their teammakers standing when it comes to getting tickets to big games like Frisco. They are just doing what the system rewards them for. If people stood in line to buy single game tickets in order to sell them for more, then so be it. they saw a way to potentially make money and they went for it

Bison"FANatic"
08-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Interesting that most of the tickets for sale don't have a teammakers membership requirement attached to those seats.

56BISON73
08-06-2013, 09:55 PM
I cant imagine there is much of that going on. Now I do believe people are buying too many season tickets in order to improve their teammakers standing when it comes to getting tickets to big games like Frisco. They are just doing what the system rewards them for. If people stood in line to buy single game tickets in order to sell them for more, then so be it. they saw a way to potentially make money and they went for it

If people want to improve their points all they have to do is write a check. I just dont think there are that many season tickets to be had to be able to pad your ticket count. There are people who are are making big donations just to get in the building.

td577
08-06-2013, 09:56 PM
I should mention I have sold seats for games we had an extra for to 56 and it was for face value. I can't make it to at least one game and I am going to hook up MAK, but he doesn't know that I am going straight open market prices for that game. I have to go out of town for the NIU game, so I shouldn't give him any break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyBison
08-06-2013, 10:30 PM

Realize more often than not those people end up selling them for less than face value so they lose money. It's a 2-way street. I've probably bought tickets a couple dozen times to events and paid less than face value. For a Colts games last year I paid $75 each for $225 tickets. A lot of NFL season tickets are corporate and if they can't use all of them they dump them on the secondary market. They usually don't have time or resources to go the StubHub route, especially at the last minute. They have relationships with local brokers because they sometimes NEED tickets. It wouldn't surprise me if that broker got my tickets for $40 each so the broker may still have made money on it.

Very few individuals who buy tickets and try to sell them for more than face will generally lose more than they make. Wait until the price comes down to what you are willing to pay. If it doesn't then the demand was high enough to support a price above you.

TAILG8R
08-06-2013, 10:33 PM
I have 21 season tickets and get the same 1 point per year for them that someone who has 1 season ticket gets.

HandoEX
08-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Mizzou fans better get used to paying to watch a ton of losses
I watch Mizzou lose fo freeeeeeeeeee!!!

Tatanka
08-06-2013, 11:35 PM
I watch Mizzou lose fo freeeeeeeeeee!!!

this. :(

kab1one
08-06-2013, 11:46 PM
I have to ask what is the real market value? Does anyone pay more than face to go to these games? If you do, you have panic'd and paid to much. There are always seats available to the bison. Every game.

But you know what? People want it easy and they want the tickets handed to them.

Post on Facebook book that you are looking. I don't think CAS has paid more than face. Go hang out in the west parking lot. There are always tickets floating around. Or go stand in front of the ticket window. People always have extra that they are looking to move and you know what, sometimes they give them away.

I find it interesting in listening to the NDSU ticket office the day the tickets sold out, they really don't know know many tickets they can sell. From a marketing and business perspective, they aren't doing a good job. But it also tells me, the demand isn't want Bisonville wants to think it is. If 25,000 were available, would they sell? i don't think so, because if there was, there wouldn't be the access to the tickets that there is. Sure 5k people put in requests for tickets and didn't get them, doesn't mean they would buy them if they had the chance, but more so, it doesn't mean they would go.

I don' t have tickets today. My family of 5 will go to every game they want and the tickets are face and below.

HerdBot
08-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Interesting that most of the tickets for sale don't have a teammakers membership requirement attached to those seats.

Seems silly to have season ticket holders without some sort of donation. 5,000 tickets x $50 is a quarter of a million. Teammakers could fund coaching salaries with that or more money for facility improvements like they did for the new turf. Heck they could fix the damn Dacotah Field bleachers! Or better yet make a donation for an indoor practice facility (or a bubble over the turf). Maybe lights for the practice field so they don't need to use Dacotah

56BISON73
08-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Seems silly to have season ticket holders without some sort of donation. 5,000 tickets x $50 is a quarter of a million. Teammakers could fund coaching salaries with that or more money for facility improvements like they did for the new turf. Heck they could fix the damn Dacotah Field bleachers! Or better yet make a donation for an indoor practice facility (or a bubble over the turf). Maybe lights for the practice field so they don't need to use Dacotah

In time I think you will see that changing.

SamsRams
08-07-2013, 12:43 AM
I have 21 season tickets and get the same 1 point per year for them that someone who has 1 season ticket gets.

I stand corrected, thanks for info

MAKBison
08-07-2013, 01:42 AM

As that is kinda what a friend and I did/do, I would agree with that. Myself and buddies bought Season Tickets back during the lean years. However, When our third moved away I kept the extra seat and would give it to my wife, Father in law etc. When my friend's boy got a bit older he took over the seat. His kid is still a bit young to be a fan so he is hit and miss when it comes to attendance. However, when his kid does not want to go or whenever my wife has the day off or father in law is in town i take the ticket. Not much of a bump in points, but its something and it seems there is never a game when we do not have a 3rd. The bad news is now my situation is changing were I am going to need 2 more tickets (wife has more flexibility and son is growing up). Note sure how that is all going to work out yet.