PDA

View Full Version : Ok.... Why isn't the Student Section in the Endzone???

MankatoBison
08-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Honestly! Maybe its been discussed on here before but I certainly havent seen it. WHY DONT THEY PUT THE STUDENTS IN THE ENDZONE?? Seriously, it makes no sense to me to split it up the way it is. It would look soooooo much cooler just having this sea of gold (yellow), frenzied students, directly behind the endzone. Teams would be pissing their pants on that end of the field even more than they are now. I dont know, it seems just so obvious to me... Can anyone shed light on this subject or try and convince me otherwise?? It's something Ive thought about since the first game I saw at the Dome, someone talk some sense into me!

CaBisonFan
08-02-2013, 12:35 AM
Honestly! Maybe its been discussed on here before but I certainly havent seen it. WHY DONT THEY PUT THE STUDENTS IN THE ENDZONE?? Seriously, it makes no sense to me to split it up the way it is. It would look soooooo much cooler just having this sea of gold (yellow), frenzied students, directly behind the endzone. Teams would be pissing their pants on that end of the field even more than they are now. I dont know, it seems just so obvious to me... Can anyone shed light on this subject or try and convince me otherwise?? It's something Ive thought about since the first game I saw at the Dome, someone talk some sense into me!

Students deserve the best seats in the house. It's a student activity. Their classmates are on the field. The sea of gold would look best between the 20s.

99Bison
08-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Originally the end zone was the plan, I believe the students complained after first year in done, then it was changed.

At least that's what I remember, roadwarrior will know for sure. :)

roadwarrior
08-02-2013, 01:00 AM
Yes, the students had the south end zone in 1993. The students weren't happy. The finance commission members put the squeeze on the athletic department to get some sideline seats. And it's been that way it is ever since.

CivilBison96
08-02-2013, 01:01 AM
Originally the end zone was the plan, I believe the students complained after first year in done, then it was changed.

At least that's what I remember, roadwarrior will know for sure. :)

This is correct, first year in the dome student section was in the endzone and there were many complaints by students about this and it was changed the following year. I believe we even had a few "these seats suck @$$" chants that year.

TransAmBison
08-02-2013, 01:10 AM
This is correct, first year in the dome student section was in the endzone and there were many complaints by students about this and it was changed the following year. I believe we even had a few "these seats suck @$$" chants that year.There were many such chants. I hated those seats.

MankatoBison
08-02-2013, 01:25 AM
hmmm I see. Does anyone know of any other school our size or bigger who gives away premium seating to students? I've never knowingly seen a school give sideline seats to students before

tjbison
08-02-2013, 01:26 AM
why all hate towards the students today??

damn season needs to start to calm everyone down

first we want to cut their tickets, now we need to kick them out of their seats

HerdBot
08-02-2013, 01:27 AM
Virtually every game there is a sea of gold. Tough to see where the students end. They deserve better seats as they ate tbe driving force behind the energy and are future TM

MankatoBison
08-02-2013, 01:28 AM

Hey man! No hate here, I'm a student myself, It just never made sense why they gave us sideline seats when no one else does! just wondering what the situation was is all!

NorthernBison
08-02-2013, 01:29 AM
hmmm I see. Does anyone know of any other school our size or bigger who gives away premium seating to students? I've never knowingly seen a school give sideline seats to students before

I can think of one. But, they don't have seats in the end zone.

tjbison
08-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Hey man! No hate here, I'm a student myself, It just never made sense why they gave us sideline seats when no one else does! just wondering what the situation was is all!

Alabama gives their students 16 and a half sections, starting at the 25 or so yd line and wrap around the Endzone.

same as NDSU we just don't give as many in the Endzone. get there early and be dedicated you will get the good spots just like people who buy a GA ticket

BisonTeacher
08-02-2013, 01:40 AM
I was there during that time period and a part of the "protest". The problem was that at dakotah field the student section was on the sidelines and much closer to the field. When they moved to the dome it was endzone and much higher up. There were some other issues as well but this was the big one.

Having said that I was in charge of our fraternities homecoming float that year. We had a budget of like $50, so it had to be cheap. I made a replica football field about 2 ft wide by 1 foot long. painted straws yellow for goalposts...all the details. (no pinwheels :biggrin:) We borrowed one of those big green hay trailers from campus and put the replica field in the middle. Bought some cheap particle board and attached it to the side of the trailer reading "If you can see this field...You'd love the student seating section!". We either took 3rd place or Judges choice. Can't remember.

Edit...the picture in my sig is of students on sideline at dakotah field (and Im in the picture :) )

GCWaters
08-02-2013, 01:41 AM

Georgia used to....not sure what they do now...

GCWaters
08-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Georgia used to....not sure what they do now...

Just checked....students get one end zone, then from the back of the end zone to about the 35 in the lower section, and back of the end zone to about the 50 in the middle section, both of the latter on the visitors' side....Sanford has three levels on that side....

GOBISON123
08-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Hell, I will stand on the roof or bring my own chair to support the Bison.

TbonZach
08-02-2013, 01:52 AM
Count me in the minority, I guess. My first (and maybe second?) year in the GSMB we sat with the student section one the sideline. The next year we moved to the endzone - I liked the endzone so much that that's where I got my season tickets and don't have any intention to move.

BisonTeacher
08-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Count me in the minority, I guess. My first (and maybe second?) year in the GSMB we sat with the student section one the sideline. The next year we moved to the endzone - I liked the endzone so much that that's where I got my season tickets and don't have any intention to move.

To be honest, I dont remember exactly how high up the section started, but it didnt have to do so much with being in the endzone as it did how far away and higher up we were.

BisonHorns
08-02-2013, 01:57 AM
In the end zone and loving it! I have sat everywhere in the dome and there isn't a bad seat in the building. I do think they could sell a portion of the student section as it often has upper rows with empty seats. I love the student section but I hate unused seats.

BisonNation11
08-02-2013, 02:16 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way it is now. I want those students as close to the visitors bench as possible. I want them jawing at the other team non-stop for the entire game. Getting in their head, annoying the piss out of 'em, and taking them out of their game. If it was up to me I'd put them in the lower section of the dome along the entire visitors section and end zones.

NorthernBison
08-02-2013, 02:16 AM
The student section at Dacotah Field was the upper level of the South side.

The first year in the Dome it was the South end zone. I had season tickets in section 15 which is now part of the student section.

After the students protested, they changed it and I was moved across the field to my permanent home in Section 4. I've been happy there ever since.

I have no issues with how it is currently set up

BadlandsBison
08-02-2013, 03:03 AM
Keep the noise behind the visitor's bench

onbison09
08-02-2013, 03:16 AM

My school's 30,000 students and the students basically get a whole side (granted, the Bison draw better)

Bison03
08-02-2013, 03:36 AM
Some schools give prime seats to students. Oh course, that's assuming any of them actually show up.

Bison Dan
08-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Starting next year the students will be in the South endzone. The MVFC has mandated that no students are on the sideline of the visiting team. Seems like some teams have complained.

Tatanka
08-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Starting next year the students will be in the South endzone. The MVFC has mandated that no students are on the sideline of the visiting team. Seems like some teams have complained.

srsly. Link?

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

BadlandsBison
08-02-2013, 01:03 PM
srsly. Link?

If true, I smell Farley. And it stinks

roadwarrior
08-02-2013, 01:09 PM

If that's true, it will have an impact at Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, Missouri State and Youngstown also. Unknown how it would impact USD and Illinois State.

loudsilverado
08-02-2013, 01:10 PM
The endzone student section sucked, everyone bitched about it.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
08-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Yes, I was a student there for the days of sitting in the upper endzone. It sucked. I have 0 issues with students sitting where they do. The students are the ones that have most energy and make the game exciting. Students/bands are the reason college football in my opinon is most exciting sport to watch/attend.

THEsocalledfan
08-02-2013, 01:17 PM
I am quite uniquely qualified to comment on this topic, as I was put onto Student Senate as a freshman when the Reed-Johnson-Stockbridge position came open.

Even before I became a senator, the senate had passed a resolution calling the students to be moved to the middle 3 (ie 50 yard line sections) on the West side of the dome. Students were very unhappy about the endzone seats and the Senate knew it. For those who don't know, the NDSU Student Senate approves of how the activity fees are spent, and obviously, a huge chunk goes to athletics. The finance folks of Senate had been meeting weekly with Bob Enzion, the AD at the time and perhaps the worst AD in NDSU history. (If you don't know why he left his job, you are missing one of the greatest/worst stories in NDSU history.) They would ask Bob for the seats, Bob would say no, you are staying in the endzone, and they would enjoy doughnuts and coffee. They even put forward compromise proposals moving the sections south, and Bob would not budget.

To this day, I don't fully grasp what Bob was thinking. He must have thought we would back down, but we did not. So, during our budget meeting, which was our biggest meeting of the year, I motioned that the share of the activity fee money slated to go to athletics that is intended for football be withheld until NDSU athletics comes into compliance with the resolution we passed. This was seconded and passed by the Senate after spirited debate.

During the next week, the student body president clearly got some serious heat from someone at the University, and to this day I don't know who, and she vetoed the budget. So, the following Sunday, at our regular meeting, after more spirited debate, we voted to override the president's veto. We wanted a clear statement sent to Bob E. that he WOULD deal with us if he liked it or not. Crazy part was, we picked up MORE votes as nearly everyone was mad at the President for defying the Senate.

That is when the fit hit the shan, in a good way. We had already had one news story done by WDAY on the situation which was very poorly done and was prior to the budget override. The reporter clearly did not understand the student side to the story and our leverage. (I talked to him on the phone to tell him how wrong he was, by the way.) So, either 4 or 11 (they were separate then) did a new story at this point. It had gotten so big, it forced President Osbun to get involved as he had to approve the student budget after we passed it. Of course, he was not going to approve it, but he also clearly realized we were not going to sign off on anything that was not a compromise (ie he had common sense). Within a week, there was an agreement for the 3 sections NDSU students sit in to this day thanks to his involvement which I think was the last compromise the students had proposed to Bob E. This was quickly approved by the Senate and my budget rider was removed. Everyone was happy, other than Bob E. I suppose.

Honestly, this is probably one of the things I am most proud to have been part of in my life. It was something that meant a lot to me, and I did not like seeing the students pushed around. Bob E. played his hand very poorly as even if he had offered anything as a compromise, we may have not had as good an outcome for the students. As it stood, I am convinced he would would be the poker player who would continually go all in with a pair of deuces thinking he'd never get called. Well, we called him and he paid dearly in teammaker dues/premium season tickets.

TransAmBison
08-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Bison Dan is just throwing UN_ against the wall and seeing what sticks. The students aren't going anywhere.

loudsilverado
08-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Just think TSCF, that was all pre-facebook, pre-twitter, pre-cellphone, and basicly pre-internet. I remember all of that, kids now don't have a clue! NDSU had some shitty leadership in those days.

TransAmBison
08-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Just think TSCF, that was all pre-facebook, pre-twitter, pre-cellphone, and basicly pre-internet. I remember all of that, kids now don't have a clue! NDSU had some shitty leadership in those days.That is quite the understatement.

devin45k
08-02-2013, 01:26 PM
I never really thought of this but it is intriguing.

I think it is better to have the louder student section heckling behind the visiting team though.

aces1180
08-02-2013, 01:28 PM

That would be interesting, especially since my season tickets have been in section 9 since 2007...

Bisonator98
08-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Bob Enzion, the AD at the time and perhaps the worst AD in NDSU history.

That's a huge understatement! :ranting:

Bob E. played his hand very poorly

Were you implying something here? :rofl:

devin45k
08-02-2013, 01:38 PM
That would be interesting, especially since my season tickets have been in section 9 since 2007...

I have endzone seats too....

THEsocalledfan
08-02-2013, 01:42 PM
That's a huge understatement! :ranting:

Were you implying something here? :rofl:

I am laughing so hard right now! No, I wish I was that funny, but it must have been subliminal.....

THEsocalledfan
08-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Just think TSCF, that was all pre-facebook, pre-twitter, pre-cellphone, and basicly pre-internet. I remember all of that, kids now don't have a clue! NDSU had some shitty leadership in those days.

Yes, it was basically the "dark time" as I've come to refer to it. For Star Wars geeks, it was like the time between episodes 3 and 4.....until a "new hope" named Chapman.

gumby013
08-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Two Words: Student Section in the Rafters.

devin45k
08-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Two Words: Student Section in the Rafters.

That's a long fall for a drunk kids vomit

gumby013
08-02-2013, 02:05 PM
That's a long fall for a drunk kids vomit

I'm guessing it would be a fine mist by the time it reached field level.

Vitojr130
08-02-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm guessing it would be a fine mist by the time it reached field level.

What's a little hydrochloric acid on our $2 million turf?

BisonTeacher
08-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Two Words: Student Section in the CORNERS.

Fify.......

Bison Dan
08-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Bison Dan is just throwing UN_ against the wall and seeing what sticks. The students aren't going anywhere. Mark it down it will happen. Students can be on their own sideline but not visiting teams starting in 2014. New conference rule.

THEsocalledfan
08-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Mark it down it will happen. Students can be on their own sideline but not visiting teams starting in 2014. New conference rule.

Bullshit. Once again, no reference. Not to mention, again, Student Senate would need to agree to move to South Endzone which ain't likely. I can't see conferences micromanaging this.

WYOBISONMAN
08-02-2013, 03:08 PM
The University is for the students. They don't get those seats for free, they contribute a lot through activity fees. They deserve good seats.

aces1180
08-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Mark it down it will happen. Students can be on their own sideline but not visiting teams starting in 2014. New conference rule.

If this is supposed to happen, don't you think Izzo or Kolpack would have been ALL OVER the story? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I am skeptical that this is the first time we are hearing about this future rule.

NorthernBison
08-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Bullshit. Once again, no reference. Not to mention, again, Student Senate would need to agree to move to South Endzone which ain't likely. I can't see conferences micromanaging this.

Agree that there is no evidence that the Conference adopted this.

If they ever did, then Student Senate has does not have veto power. They would have to move. NDSU would have to decide where to move them. Maybe move them to the East side and move the current West side ticket holders to the West. (not sure how that would fly with some but I could live with it.)

roadwarrior
08-02-2013, 03:27 PM
NDSU would have to decide where to move them. Maybe move them to the East side and move the current West side ticket holders to the West. (not sure how that would fly with some but I could live with it.)

Or simply switch the teams to the opposite side.

NorthernBison
08-02-2013, 03:29 PM

Sounds too simple. Gotta go with something more complicated. :)

aces1180
08-02-2013, 03:33 PM

Then you have the teams crossing paths at half-time, like UNI...I'm not a fan of that.

Didn't the first year of the dome see NDSU on the west sideline?

Bison03
08-02-2013, 03:36 PM
I have a hard time believing that a conference committee can tell a school who can sit in what seats in their own stadium. Now, I get that the NCAA mandates a certain number of seats behind the visiting bench for the visiting fans for a playoff game; but this is different. So if the MVFC wants to sell Coke products instead of Pepsi, could they force us to change.
Also, of the 10 teams in the MVFC, only NDSU, Southern Illinois, and Illinois St. have endzone seating. So 7 schools are going to have to have a war with season ticket holders vs students? Until I see evidence of this, I will not believe it. And if it turns out to be true, I don't see it ever happening once schools find out.

BadlandsBison
08-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Like Road mentioned this would effect more than just ndsu. Hard for me to believe they would vote for this rule. But then again, dome field advantage can change opinions

THEsocalledfan
08-02-2013, 03:43 PM
If they ever did, then Student Senate has does not have veto power.

Veto power, no. Ability to apply significant pressure, you better believe it. I could be the same mess all over again unless you did not read my post. They could move to freeze student activity fee money earmarked for football just like we did unless the constitution was changed after I left. Since the money cannot be spent without student government approval, you bet they have leverage. Only thing I'd go for as a Senator would be an equal switch to the other side unless they were going to lower our fees which is the only way I'd even consider the endzone.

Again, I think BisonDan is looney as I just don't quite understand how the conference can force their member to do something they don't want to do. Can't see any reason Gene would want to take on this headache as it is fiasco in a bottle waiting to be opened.

THEsocalledfan
08-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Then you have the teams crossing paths at half-time, like UNI...I'm not a fan of that.

Didn't the first year of the dome see NDSU on the west sideline?

Aces, you are late to the party. We were in the endzone; see my long post on how students ended up where they are.

aces1180
08-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Aces, you are late to the party. We were in the endzone; see my long post on how students ended up where they are.

Not talking about the students...I'm talking about the team on the west sideline.

roadwarrior
08-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Not talking about the students...I'm talking about the team on the west sideline.

Yes. The Bison sideline was the west side the first year. Rocky didn't like it, so they switched.

THEsocalledfan
08-02-2013, 04:02 PM

HMMM, good question. I know we were specifically intending to be behind the visiting bench during out negotiations to make it like Dakotah Field. Can't comment if a switch was made, but we knew visitor would be on west sideline in fall 94.

Looks like Road answered.

NorthernBison
08-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Veto power, no. Ability to apply significant pressure, you better believe it. I could be the same mess all over again unless you did not read my post. They could move to freeze student activity fee money earmarked for football just like we did unless the constitution was changed after I left. Since the money cannot be spent without student government approval, you bet they have leverage. Only thing I'd go for as a Senator would be an equal switch to the other side unless they were going to lower our fees which is the only way I'd even consider the endzone.

Again, I think BisonDan is looney as I just don't quite understand how the conference can force their member to do something they don't want to do. Can't see any reason Gene would want to take on this headache as it is fiasco in a bottle waiting to be opened.

I read your post and you might be overestimating the pressure that could be applied. The situation today is totally different than it was in 1993. The revenue controlled by the Senate is relatively minor in comparison to the checkbooks of the people wanting to buy tickets to games.

FYI, I'm not advocating taking advantage of the Students. I'm just saying that your experience is from a different era in Bison Football and the economics are radically different today.

I too am skeptical of what BisonDan posted.

bisonmike2
08-02-2013, 05:18 PM

Cause their all lazy do nuthings. Hardly any of them have a job and they all are asking for handouts, i.e. free tickets.

Bison"FANatic"
08-02-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm just saying that your experience is from a different era in Bison Football and the economics are radically different today.

I too am skeptical of what BisonDan posted.

The students might not have as much economic clout but as Kyro said earlier their PR clout is huge. They could raise a huge fuss in the media and heck even just decide to not show up for a game in protest. The connection between the student section and the team is huge. The team the last two years didn't run to the center of the field to celebrate going to the championship they ran to the students. I would bet a bunch Bohl will do a lot to keep them happy.

NorthernBison
08-02-2013, 05:44 PM
The students might not have as much economic clout but as Kyro said earlier their PR clout is huge. They could raise a huge fuss in the media and heck even just decide to not show up for a game in protest. The connection between the student section and the team is huge. The team the last two years didn't run to the center of the field to celebrate going to the championship they ran to the students. I would bet a bunch Bohl will do a lot to keep them happy.

Agree 100%

BlueBisonRock
08-02-2013, 06:01 PM
There is a lot of real interesting discussion in this post. I enjoyed the history lesson SoCalled. I also agree that making this veto work would be a lot more difficult today if we are only looking at the economics. The negative PR and the leverage it could give pundits like Blog Porter could be a major issue for the University and be a major setback with the people of ND and their representatives.

I will state that the conference should have a much different focus than pissing off the student body and mandating a procedure that I believe they lack the power to make. The number one pressing need for the conference suits is to establish a strong presence nationally. This includes leading the charge to get an effective TV contract in place so that all games in the conference are shown regionally. Patty can stop playing the 'as good as the other guys' game and focus on being the best. :facepalm2: If true, this reminds me of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Hammersmith
08-02-2013, 06:10 PM

The current senates can't do what you guys did back then. There were changes about 10 years ago that removed that option. There is someone on BV that was part of the change(can't remember who), so they can correct me. This happened just after I graduated, so I'm probably going to get a few of the details wrong.

Basically, the senates after yours took the wrong lesson from what your senate did. In the 10 years that followed the showdown with athletics, the senates tried doing the same thing to other important departments several more times. I think one of the first was against the Spectrum in the mid-90's. Bisonaudit might be able to give a more accurate summary since he was there at the time or shortly before or after, but as I remember it, the Spectrum wrote an article or articles critical of the current senate. In retaliation, the senate either zeroed out or severely cut the Spectrum's budget. It was eventually sorted out, possibly through presidential involvement(Ozbun or Plough). The senates of that period also tried many times to kill KDSU(student-run campus radio) through zeroing out their budget and I think they eventually succeeded(the current KDSU is NPR and I don't think their budget comes from student gov). One of the senates in the late 90's also had a showdown with the music department(choir, I think). There may have been a showdown with the theatre dept, but I'm not certain. I think the last straw was a showdown with the Memorial Union. I think that senate tried to cut funding to MU by some large number like 50%. I'm sure I'm wrong about some of these details, but the pattern was there.

By 2003-ish, campus administration had enough. I think there was the threat that student government might lose control of the activity fee completely because of the way it had been handled over the previous decade. The compromise reached(possibly dictated by the pres) was to create the "Big 7". These seven programs were considered too important to NDSU to be subjected to these budget wars. I'm probably wrong about at least one of these, but they include athletics, MU, Spectrum, Thunder Radio, wellness, theatre, and music. The budgets of these seven programs were locked(to a percentage of the total activity fee?). Student government can alter the budgets of the Big7, but by a very limited amount. Like 2% up or down each year. It would take several years of senates working together to significantly alter the budgets of the Big7. The activity fee money not allocated to the Big7 is doled out to the remaining campus groups the old way.

Those of you that were there during this period, or otherwise in-the-know, please correct the errors in this history. I know it's close, but the details have the reliability of Wikipedia.

BisonTeacher
08-02-2013, 06:19 PM
The current senates can't do what you guys did back then. There were changes about 10 years ago that removed that option. There is someone on BV that was part of the change(can't remember who), so they can correct me. This happened just after I graduated, so I'm probably going to get a few of the details wrong.

Basically, the senates after yours took the wrong lesson from what your senate did. In the 10 years that followed the showdown with athletics, the senates tried doing the same thing to other important departments several more times. I think one of the first was against the Spectrum in the mid-90's. Bisonaudit might be able to give a more accurate summary since he was there at the time or shortly before or after, but as I remember it, the Spectrum wrote an article or articles critical of the current senate. In retaliation, the senate either zeroed out or severely cut the Spectrum's budget. It was eventually sorted out, possibly through presidential involvement(Ozbun or Plough). The senates of that period also tried many times to kill KDSU(student-run campus radio) through zeroing out their budget and I think they eventually succeeded(the current KDSU is NPR and I don't think their budget comes from student gov). One of the senates in the late 90's also had a showdown with the music department(choir, I think). There may have been a showdown with the theatre dept, but I'm not certain. I think the last straw was a showdown with the Memorial Union. I think that senate tried to cut funding to MU by some large number like 50%. I'm sure I'm wrong about some of these details, but the pattern was there.

By 2003-ish, campus administration had enough. I think there was the threat that student government might lose control of the activity fee completely because of the way it had been handled over the previous decade. The compromise reached(possibly dictated by the pres) was to create the "Big 7". These seven programs were considered too important to NDSU to be subjected to these budget wars. I'm probably wrong about at least one of these, but they include athletics, MU, Spectrum, Thunder Radio, wellness, theatre, and music. The budgets of these seven programs were locked(to a percentage of the total activity fee?). Student government can alter the budgets of the Big7, but by a very limited amount. Like 2% up or down each year. It would take several years of senates working together to significantly alter the budgets of the Big7. The activity fee money not allocated to the Big7 is doled out to the remaining campus groups the old way.

Those of you that were there during this period, or otherwise in-the-know, please correct the errors in this history. I know it's close, but the details have the reliability of Wikipedia.

Don't forget the diversity requirement resolution. Not that I would know anything about that one.

HandoEX
08-02-2013, 06:28 PM
If the students were moved to the endzone and I lost my seats, I'd go absolutely nuts. I hate sideline seats unless they are close to mid-field.

THEsocalledfan
08-02-2013, 06:32 PM

So, they did change the rules. I am firmly with Northern now that true financial leverage is limited, and only finding a way to generate negative publicity could help them if "push came to shove" with I DON"T think will happen anyway.

Hammer, sad to hear that the Senate abused their power to such a degree. I seem to remember an effort to defund the art gallery, too. I pretty much checked out of campus politics after I was a freshman, but had friends who were still in Senate and now remember for of what you are talking about. That financial tool was a very powerful weapon they had, which now is gone......

OrygunBison
08-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Those seats in '93 sucked. They tried to brand it the "Thunder Zone", giving out t-shirts for the first 1,000 students. I was about the 7th person in line to get mine. I still have it. I put it on during a game I was watching last year. It was hard to breathe.

Calling it the Thunder Zone was because they were the metal bleachers in that section and it had the potential to be really loud with the students beating the shit out of them and stomping/etc. I remember getting them to really bounce as the students would jump together, kind of getting a perfect oscillation going very easily. I think I remember hearing that there was some damage because of it or that admin was concerned of future damage or something of the sorts. TSCF, did that play into the negotiation back then? Thanks for your story on this. I remembered that that was going on but did not know anyone involved at the time. Most of my friends at the time were too intoxicated to really hold any position of productive positive use...

THEsocalledfan
08-02-2013, 06:57 PM
TSCF, did that play into the negotiation back then?

Not a big one.....I was brand new to Senate and heard about how the negotiation had been going. I was merely the one who moved to have the rider added to the budget that caused the showdown.

HerdBot
08-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Are we seriously discussing fucking the students and robbing them of their game day experience because some are frustrated they can't get good seats? Quit bitching. You could have joined tm or gotten season tickets years ago like the rest of us who sat through the shitty seasons too. Pony up the cash or wait. Loyalty people

NorthernBison
08-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Are we seriously discussing fucking the students and robbing them of their game day experience because some are frustrated they can't get good seats? Quit bitching. You could have joined tm or gotten season tickets years ago like the rest of us who sat through the shitty seasons too. Pony up the cash or wait. Loyalty people

Nope. The discussion started with a question that was quickly answered. The recent stuff was after a poster informed us of a change in conference rules to take effect in 2014. (At least, he presented it as if it was a FACT). The jury is still out on whether it was a douchbag troll post or a serious post. Even if true, it could be handled without moving the students.

As for me, Ive been sitting in the same Fargodome seats since 1994 as a Team Maker and was a season ticket holder for 6 years before that. I got into the discussion because I think some of the younger guys have gaps in their memories while I'm confident my memory is 100% spot on.

Bison03
08-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Those seats in '93 sucked. They tried to brand it the "Thunder Zone", giving out t-shirts for the first 1,000 students. I was about the 7th person in line to get mine. I still have it. I put it on during a game I was watching last year. It was hard to breathe.

Calling it the Thunder Zone was because they were the metal bleachers in that section and it had the potential to be really loud with the students beating the shit out of them and stomping/etc. I remember getting them to really bounce as the students would jump together, kind of getting a perfect oscillation going very easily. I think I remember hearing that there was some damage because of it or that admin was concerned of future damage or something of the sorts. TSCF, did that play into the negotiation back then? Thanks for your story on this. I remembered that that was going on but did not know anyone involved at the time. Most of my friends at the time were too intoxicated to really hold any position of productive positive use...

I remember everyone in that section on the metal bleachers would sit down and stomp their feet at once to literally create a thunder inside the dome. It was awesome!! I remember going over there as a kid just to be a part of that. I wonder why nobody does that now. That combined with 19,000 people yelling would be insane.

Hammersmith
08-02-2013, 07:25 PM

I loved those seats. I think the band was better than anyone at getting those stands to bounce. Little kids would come near us and use it like an amusement ride. They would sit in their seats and get bounced a good foot or two in the air. The FD eventually refitted the stands with stabilizers so it can no longer happen. It was less about damage and more a design flaw in the moveable portion of the south stands.

Ha. I was writing this while 03 posted. I didn't know if the kids still remembered.

HerdBot
08-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Nope. The discussion started with a question that was quickly answered. The recent stuff was after a poster informed us of a change in conference rules to take effect in 2014. (At least, he presented it as if it was a FACT). The jury is still out on whether it was a douchbag troll post or a serious post. Even if true, it could be handled without moving the students.

As for me, Ive been sitting in the same Fargodome seats since 1994 as a Team Maker and was a season ticket holder for 6 years before that. I got into the discussion because I think some of the younger guys have gaps in their memories while I'm confident my memory is 100% spot on.

Thanks for the summary I didnt want to read the whole damn thing!

BisonTeacher
08-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Yep it was thunder zone. I had the shirt too, no idea where it is now. I thought the domer hanky said it but alas it does not.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2955&d=1375474848

OrygunBison
08-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I loved those seats.

I know some people loved those seats and some still do. It was just pretty hard to take when we pretty much had the best seats in the house at Dacotah Field. I always got there early so we got on the 50 in the front portion of the student section.

Similar debate happening for the Washington Huskies right now. They are currently wrapping up their huge renovation project and the students are moving from the middle behind the home team bench to the corner. The discussion has been centered on the purpose of athletics and true value of the student participant in the stands.

IndyBison
08-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Basically, the senates after yours took the wrong lesson from what your senate did. In the 10 years that followed the showdown with athletics, the senates tried doing the same thing to other important departments several more times. I think one of the first was against the Spectrum in the mid-90's. Bisonaudit might be able to give a more accurate summary since he was there at the time or shortly before or after, but as I remember it, the Spectrum wrote an article or articles critical of the current senate. In retaliation, the senate either zeroed out or severely cut the Spectrum's budget. It was eventually sorted out, possibly through presidential involvement (Ozbun or Plough).
There was a Spectrum funding issue my freshman year (89-90). I don't remember the specifics but it was something related to the budget process for the following year. I don't remember if they asked for a lot more money and the finance committee kept their allocation flat or there was some reason they proposed reducing their allocation. I remember there was a lot of stupid bickering on both sides. The best memory though was the guy who wrote a song for Bison Brevs that Spring. Sadly I still remember some of the lyrics!

I've got the Spectrum-less blues, I don't mean to sound crass
But I've got to have the Spectrum when I'm sitting in class
I know it's not right to cut the funds from the news
That's why I go around singing these Spectrum-less blues.

Ozbun was the president at that time. Our Brevs skit was the Wizard of Ozbun. Dorothy fell asleep on the bus on her way to college and woke up at a different school. The wicked dean of the north stole her transcript. She was told to visit the Wizard of Ozbun so she followed the interstate road south. On the way she picked up a farmer who was missing his government check, an engineer who lost his calculator and a football player without a team. The Wizard of Ozbun told Dorothy she had to get her transcript before she could enroll so the group returns to the Wicked Dean of the North and destroyed her when the football player poured his urine sample over her. I starred as a munchkin and a tree throwing apples. It was the highlight of my acting career until the following year when I was a deaf interpreter for Ned Neidermeier, head of admissions at Cobber College.

Good memories.

Bisonguy
08-02-2013, 08:52 PM
I know some people loved those seats and some still do. It was just pretty hard to take when we pretty much had the best seats in the house at Dacotah Field. I always got there early so we got on the 50 in the front portion of the student section.

Similar debate happening for the Washington Huskies right now. They are currently wrapping up their huge renovation project and the students are moving from the middle behind the home team bench to the corner. The discussion has been centered on the purpose of athletics and true value of the student participant in the stands.

I was in the student section at Dacotah and both student sections at the Fargodome. The endzone seating at the Fargodome was my favorite. The sideline section sucked unless you were one of the 50 people close enough for opponents bench to hear. Don't really remember much about Dacotah other than dropping empty Schnapps bottles.

SDbison
08-02-2013, 09:07 PM
I was in the student section at Dacotah and both student sections at the Fargodome. The endzone seating at the Fargodome was my favorite. The sideline section sucked unless you were one of the 50 people close enough for opponents bench to hear. Don't really remember much about Dacotah other than dropping empty Schnapps bottles. That's what I remember about the student section at Dacotah...........tinka, tinka, tinka, crash (sound of a glass bottle shattering). Bottles dropped between the seats would bang off the steel bleacher supports a few times before hitting the ground below. During the game this sound would repeat several times every minute. Must have been a mess to clean up after each game. Everybody would cram several bottles in their clothing.........cold weather games provided more room for sneaking booze in. Back then upon entering the stadium security just confiscated your booze and threw it in a garbage barrel. Seemed like about 1 in 10 students got caught, but after being shamed with their booze taken away they were able to go into the game.

344Johnson
08-02-2013, 09:14 PM
That's what I remember about the student section at Dacotah...........tinka, tinka, tinka, crash (sound of a glass bottle shattering). Bottles dropped between the seats would bang off the steel bleacher supports a few times before hitting the ground below. During the game this sound would repeat several times every minute. Must have been a mess to clean up after each game. Everybody would cram several bottles in their clothing.........cold weather games provided more room for sneaking booze in. Back then upon entering the stadium security just confiscated your booze and threw it in a garbage barrel. Seemed like about 1 in 10 students got caught, but after being shamed with their booze taken away they were able to go into the game.

Old man tells me if there was snow on the ground during the UND game, people would throw snowballs at their watergirls and what not.

NorthernBison
08-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Old man tells me if there was snow on the ground during the UND game, people would throw snowballs at their watergirls and what not.

I remember Thundar throwing bananas into the stands during the Pitt State Playoff game. The darn things were frozen and a lady down the same row got hit in the face by one. She wasn't real happy.

Thundar usually had a stuffed likeness of the opponents mascot hung on a noose and suspended from a stick. Obviously, he never did that when we played UND (at least not that I ever saw). That would have been too much even back then. Now it would cause a National incident.

BisonTeacher
08-02-2013, 09:32 PM
That's what I remember about the student section at Dacotah...........tinka, tinka, tinka, crash (sound of a glass bottle shattering). Bottles dropped between the seats would bang off the steel bleacher supports a few times before hitting the ground below. During the game this sound would repeat several times every minute. Must have been a mess to clean up after each game. Everybody would cram several bottles in their clothing.........cold weather games provided more room for sneaking booze in. Back then upon entering the stadium security just confiscated your booze and threw it in a garbage barrel. Seemed like about 1 in 10 students got caught, but after being shamed with their booze taken away they were able to go into the game.

The bottles and the ed shot his dog chants.

MankatoBison
08-02-2013, 10:45 PM

Calling it the Thunder Zone was because they were the metal bleachers in that section and it had the potential to be really loud with the students beating the shit out of them and stomping/etc. I remember getting them to really bounce as the students would jump together, kind of getting a perfect oscillation going very easily. I think I remember hearing that there was some damage because of it or that admin was concerned of future damage or something of the sorts.

See this is exactly my thought.... It would, HANDS DOWN be the coolest and most intimidating sight in the FCS and would elevate the Fargodome's, already incredible atmosphere! Again... Im a student.. I honestly dont think other students would be as pissed as you guys think.. obviously they're would likely be a clamor during the preseason, but as soon as the games start, no one's ever gonna care haha. The die-hard students are still gonna go because theyre die-hards... and the passive fans dont give a crap about where they sit. I am a die-hard fan, much like all of you, and it just seems to make too much SENSE to me haha... it would look significantly cooler!
... thoughts?

MankatoBison
08-02-2013, 10:50 PM
However I do love that we're behind the visiting bench. My Dad told me stories about heckling teams back at Dakotah Field haha

westriver bison
08-02-2013, 10:51 PM

KSTATE student tickets go to the 50 on the east side

CaBisonFan
08-02-2013, 10:54 PM

USC, Missouri (an entire side), Michigan...to name 3...and the old NDSU student section, prime seats.

BisonTeacher
08-02-2013, 11:06 PM
This thread has brought back a lot of memories. Does saying that make me old?

IndyBison
08-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Thanks for your story on this. I remembered that that was going on but did not know anyone involved at the time. Most of my friends at the time were too intoxicated to really hold any position of productive positive use...
Your friends were too into living in the studio and not having a campus life. ;)

1998braves64
08-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Wyoming if I remember right their students had the whole lower half of their side of stadium (west side?).. of course they don't have any endzone seating anyway.

WYOBISONMAN
08-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Wyoming if I remember right their students had the whole lower half of their side of stadium (west side?).. of course they don't have any endzone seating anyway.

The lower half of the east side. At WYO the students have always had top notch seats.

Tatanka
08-03-2013, 01:42 PM
See this is exactly my thought.... It would, HANDS DOWN be the coolest and most intimidating sight in the FCS and would elevate the Fargodome's, already incredible atmosphere! Again... Im a student.. I honestly dont think other students would be as pissed as you guys think.. obviously they're would likely be a clamor during the preseason, but as soon as the games start, no one's ever gonna care haha. The die-hard students are still gonna go because theyre die-hards... and the passive fans dont give a crap about where they sit. I am a die-hard fan, much like all of you, and it just seems to make too much SENSE to me haha... it would look significantly cooler!

... thoughts?

since they would all be wearing yellow, PL agrees with you 100%.

Tony Almeida
08-03-2013, 06:28 PM
I remember everyone in that section on the metal bleachers would sit down and stomp their feet at once to literally create a thunder inside the dome. It was awesome!! I remember going over there as a kid just to be a part of that. I wonder why nobody does that now. That combined with 19,000 people yelling would be insane.

I second that thought. It would be friggin cool!

bisonaudit
08-03-2013, 07:39 PM
So, they did change the rules. I am firmly with Northern now that true financial leverage is limited, and only finding a way to generate negative publicity could help them if "push came to shove" with I DON"T think will happen anyway.

Hammer, sad to hear that the Senate abused their power to such a degree. I seem to remember an effort to defund the art gallery, too. I pretty much checked out of campus politics after I was a freshman, but had friends who were still in Senate and now remember for of what you are talking about. That financial tool was a very powerful weapon they had, which now is gone......

I remember budget fights over club hockey, the radio station and the gallery. By the time I got to the Spectrum there was a floor under the student fee the paper would receive which prevented any political shenagins and the finances of the paper were fairly healthy. We had a free hand journalistically and the members of student government I worked with understood the role of the 4th estate. We covered all three of those budget fights and I think the editorial page agreed with cutting club hockey but supported funding the radio station and the gallery. With no ramifications on our own funding.

It's an inherently precarious position when the institution funds the media that's supposed to be covering it. No one is more aware of that than the people who work on the paper. I think it would be great if the campus paper were independent.

Whenever the next "we need a new stadium" thread gets started the third post will be "when my lottery ticket comes in..."

Well, when my lottery ticket comes in, I'm endowing the campus newspaper.

OrygunBison
08-03-2013, 07:46 PM
USC, Missouri (an entire side), Michigan...to name 3...and the old NDSU student section, prime seats.

Michigan is in the corner...with the marshmellows covering the side of the endzone by the end of the game...or at least that is the way it used to be when I was present at several games in the mid-90's. Maybe they changed it with the big renovation?

OrygunBison
08-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Your friends were too into living in the studio and not having a campus life. ;)

I rarely partied with other architecture students. I saw those people enough... (not necessarily true, although I had a couple of other groups of friends that were certainly bigger fans of football, that's for sure.)

CivilBison96
08-04-2013, 03:02 AM

And the "Ed lost his wife" chant

CaBisonFan
08-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Michigan is in the corner...with the marshmellows covering the side of the endzone by the end of the game...or at least that is the way it used to be when I was present at several games in the mid-90's. Maybe they changed it with the big renovation?

They changed it. Many season-ticket holders were moved. There was quite a battle over it. Could have changed again I suppose.

Nebraska stands out as one of the better schools for student seating. Missouri, Alabama, & Kentucky also.

Here are some charts.

http://www.google.com/search?q=football+student+seating+pictures&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aLT-Ue3TC8LtiwKJzoGoAw&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1214&bih=550

H (http://www.google.com/search?q=football+student+seating+pictures&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aLT-Ue3TC8LtiwKJzoGoAw&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1214&bih=550)ere's Missouri's chart. Best student seating in the country. Proper perspective from an educational institution.

http://www.google.com/search?q=missouri+football+seating+chart&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Y7f-UaHEJ8eYigLjjIHgDQ&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1214&bih=550#facrc=_&imgrc=Lvh7plKGWONeOM%3A%3BezHmEdIOxoqIpM%3Bhttp%3A %2F%2Fgraphics.fansonly.com%2Fschools%2Fmiss%2Fgra phics%2F13-faurot-seating-chart.jpg%3Bhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.mutigers.com%2Fticket s%2Ffaurot-field-seating-map.html%3B700%3B937

missingnumber7
08-05-2013, 01:41 PM
I always liked seeing visiting teams come and set up their bench right in front of the student section. And the chain guys would snicker. Then after kickoff there would be a mad scramble to move them.

If memory serves me right CSU had most of the Visitors sideline lower level.

Walkon79
08-07-2013, 05:56 PM

When we built our new EZ, the students were offered another 1,000 seats to move from the sideline to the end zone. They voted to move and according to my son, they love it over there.

SlickVic
08-07-2013, 11:06 PM
When we built our new EZ, the students were offered another 1,000 seats to move from the sideline to the end zone. They voted to move and according to my son, they love it over there.

Too bad ndsu students wouldnt no what a football was is if was....well u catch my drift cowboy...I say put whatever section they occupy now up 4 bids let them fend for themselves I know I did...team maker at the humble age of 18 cat backer before that I was prolly a couple 13 14 years old when I first became a booster at the juco level

AKBison
08-08-2013, 02:19 PM
I wonder how many seats would be added if the endzone went to all bleachers and we put the students there. Might raise capacity a couple hundred or so?

roadwarrior
08-08-2013, 02:20 PM
I wonder how many seats would be added if the endzone went to all bleachers and we put the students there. Might raise capacity a couple hundred or so?

The student section already has more people in there than seats. At least the lower sections.

OrygunBison
08-08-2013, 06:52 PM

Interesting idea, although nobody would go for it.

Next home game, can somebody please measure the exact width of a chair as measure from center of armrest to center of armrest? Maybe do a couple of different areas to make sure that they're all the same. I could then tell you how many seats you could add by switching out to a slightly narrower seat. (I've done a bunch of this analysis in the past for several projects with fixed or bench seating.)

BisonNation11
08-08-2013, 06:59 PM
The student section already has more people in there than seats. At least the lower sections.

Remove student seats, cram them all in 3 SW sideline sections, keep band where they are, new end zone reserved and GA tickets up for sale, SAVE SEASON/SET NEW ATTENDANCE RECORD!*

*You're welcome Gabe. You can now rest easy without having to remove the pillars.

344Johnson
08-08-2013, 07:07 PM
If the student section was exclusively in the endzone...and maybe one sideline section, how much better would the noise project throughout the dome?

tony
08-08-2013, 07:17 PM
This thread has brought back a lot of memories. Does saying that make me old?

The passage of time is what's made me old.

I always used to get a little nervous when somebody would light a brick of firecrackers down to the ground below the south stands. Seems like a miracle that the alcohol-soaked ground and wood never whooshed up into flame.

missingnumber7
08-15-2013, 03:09 PM
If the student section was exclusively in the endzone...and maybe one sideline section, how much better would the noise project throughout the dome?Might project better, but redzone noise would be diminished.

Bisonguy
08-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Might project better, but redzone noise would be diminished.

Prolly not, especially if the ball is midway between the hashes or closer to the Bison sideline. The intensity would also be more the closer they are to the goal line.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

CaBisonFan
09-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Anyone notice where the K-State students were sitting? Into it...weren't they?

AKBison
09-05-2013, 03:18 AM
Yes, but they were all sitting together which helped them to organize cheers and stay involved in the game. The k-state students were excellent...

CaBisonFan
09-05-2013, 04:32 AM
Yes, but they were all sitting together which helped them to organize cheers and stay involved in the game. The k-state students were excellent...Which is kind of my point...along with the location. Great tv camera view.

MankatoBison
09-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Seriously. I mean, I get both sides, And I appreciate people's concern for premium student seating I guess... But regardless of where you think the SS should be, I still think they should have bleachers there.. doesnt make sense to put a finite amount of seats for students. Pack us in, I'm so down.

missingnumber7
09-07-2013, 11:49 PM
I still think they should have bleachers there.. That works for the whole dome...could let in another 1000 people at least.

Bisonguy
09-08-2013, 12:08 AM
That works for the whole dome...could let in another 1000 people at least.

Never going to happen unless NDSU buys the building.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

56BISON73
09-08-2013, 12:20 AM
That works for the whole dome...could let in another 1000 people at least.

You will lose seating. When Iowa reseated everyone about five years ago they added 2 inches to each seat because people are bigger now and people were having to sit sideways in there seats. They lost like 2500 seats. Even with the additional space you still dont have any room unless you order chair backs for your seats.

NDSU1980
09-08-2013, 12:22 AM
You will lose seating. When Iowa reseated everyone about five years ago they added 2 inches to each seat because people are bigger now and people were having to sit sideways in there seats. They lost like 2500 seats.Translation: Everyone is/has a bigger ass now days. :D

Montana Bison
09-08-2013, 02:10 AM

Still remember when the whiskey bottle went through the window and Ed came down into the stands... lol If it happened now day there would be a 1000 videos of it on You Tube!!

Ndsu84
09-09-2013, 01:37 AM
I was sitting near my classmate who may have thrown the alleged bottle. Heck of a throw for a drunk! Ha! Nowadays he'd be hauled into jail for sure and probably have community service kissing big eddie's ass for a month. Ended up Ed deserved it for later turning on us.

MAKBison
09-09-2013, 01:43 AM
I wonder if ED Flinches whenever someone says duck? Apparently, his dog does whenever anyone says boom

I was sitting near my classmate who may have thrown the alleged bottle. Heck of a throw for a drunk! Ha! Nowadays he'd be hauled into jail for sure and probably have community service kissing big eddie's ass for a month. Ended up Ed deserved it for later turning on us.